Pax; A private concert (early ET 30th Jyg) (by invitation)

These estates surrounding the larger cities of the WK include Pax Balthasar, Brie and several other smaller grounds. The barons rule supreme and intent on holding on to their belongings.

Moderators: Vanadius, Morg, Guido Cercatoro, Mods

Guido Cercatoro
Moderator & Coordinator Pax

Pax; A private concert (early ET 30th Jyg) (by invitation)

Post by Guido Cercatoro »

(OOC: this thread takes place in the nobles compound and is by invitation only - Ophelia and Seb have invites so far - Michel can also assume an invite)

Recently built on to the east side of the Pax Honestus Barracks is a large compound containing quarters for dignitaries visiting the town. The main two-storey building contains several well-appointed apartments on the top floor, whilst the lower floor contains the kitchens, a large dining-room and various meeting rooms. The accommodation is modest by the standards most nobles might be used to but is of high quality for such an isolated town. Access is only possible through the barracks. The wooden stockade that surrounds the compound in well guarded.

On the eventide of Jygust 30th a small concert was to be held for visiting dignitaries. To one side of the compound a small stage had been erected and three rows of chairs were arranged before the stage. A large open-side tent stood to one side of the stage. Within the tent were several tables filled with wine and food. Several well-dressed servants stood ready to serve any guests. To the other side of the stage was a small, enclosed tent which acted as the changing and waiting room room for the performers. At the tent opening stood a pompous-looking servant dressed in a black suit with a frilly white shirt.

As tradetide turned into eventide, one or town of the noble guests began to arrive. Prominent amongst them was a tall, curvaceous, brown-haired woman with full, rosy lips standing out from her smooth creamy face; the Baroness of Murrelbuck.
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

Post by Sebastian Beauvais »

Sebastian smiled a small, private smile as he came up behind the Baroness. Despite his love for Cerise, he could not help but appreciate Magdalena's beauty. Though he would never admit it publicly, Sebastian considered Cerise beautiful in a "cute" way, whereas his northern neighbour was more an elegant beauty. Seeing her standing on her own, he was suddenly struck with another pang of shame over his lack of condolences for her emotional loss. He would have to be more sensitive to such things around her, were they to be the great allies he hoped.

"There can be no excuse for such a strong and attractive woman to be on her own at festivities such as these," he said, drawing alongside her with a different smile, a smile of friendship. He grasped her hand and brushed it lightly with a kiss. "Paltry as it may be, I hope my company can correct that oversight, for a time at least."

"I trust your travels here were pleasant enough?" he asked companionably. "That damn portal is going to make me sick sooner or later," he laughed in reference to his own trip. "But the time it saves lures me in time and again."

After they had exchanged minor pleasantries and observed the growing crowds gathering for the eveningtide's entertainment, Sebastian gently trawled deeper waters. "How have your relations with our fellow barons progressed since we last spoke? I saw you with Foreno this tradetide, and you had intended to speak with Killem'toh as well. Any luck on those fronts?"
[color=orange]Avatar courtesy of Tazlure's own, the incredible Finley Ward![/color]
Guido Cercatoro

A faint tinge of pink spread over the Baronesses’ face in response to Sebastian’s complimentary greeting. She appeared genuinely please to see the Baron. “It is good to see a friendly face,” she said brightly. The mournful look which had exhibited earlier in the day had been replaced by a more confident air – a least on the outside. What turmoil was going on behind her façade was impossible to determine.

“We can rely on the Baron of Killem’toh,” she continued quietly. “However, his resources are few and in practice his support will be political and personal. He has few resources economically or military that he can provide. As for Foreno..” She paused as if searching for the right words.

“I have always regarded the Baron as an honest man. A typical noble, looking after his own interests but in a quiet, effective manner. Yet, now I sense a change. I sense he sees the opportunity to advance his own interests during this period of uncertainty. In response to my queries, he makes polite noises of agreement but I cannot pin him down. There is something that I am not aware of. My usually reliable sources have dried up on this matter.”

“And you, Sebastian. Have you made any progress in furthering our cause?”
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

"Very little," the young Baron of Brie admitted with displeasure. "I think it has much to do with your own discoveries about Foreno, which I can only echo."

"When I travelled to the capital to speak with his son, I received nothing more than the same sort of assurances of which you speak. Of course, we must all stick together. Yes, the good of the baronies depends on a united front. Please include us in anything that goes ahead." Sebastian shook his head in mild frustration as he remembered. "But nothing more, nothing solid. I was being humoured."

"And then here," he shrugged his shoulders, adding a small shake of his head, "the Provost is too busy to see me. I have been very politely shunted to his underling, meaning I haven't even had the chance to sound him out about his father's plans, or perhaps his own." That was one thing that still tickled Sebastian's thoughts - how in step Foreno's other son, the Provost, was with his father's plans. It might be necessary to treat them as separate factions in the mix that was the Border Estates.

Sebastian considered a few moments, idly scanning the crowd at the private concert before conceding a small opportunity. "Foreno at least made noises to me about discussing issues this eveningtide, at the little reception from a few marks ago. It may be he intends to offer nothing more definitive that he has already told you, but perhaps my lack of flowery language and refreshingly direct manner of speaking," and here the baron could not suppress a smirk for Magdalena, "might encourage him to be plain about his intentions."

The young baron knew full well his talents did not lie in bandying words with his peers, talking at length without actually saying anything. Perhaps it was his common upbringing, or his time in the more militaristic roles of the Kingsguard and the Vanguard, but he had little feel for such games. Feints and misdirection from a tactical sense on the battlefield he could understand, but translating that to the banquet halls and courts of the land just annoyed him. At least he recognized his failing in that area. It was part of the reason he found his partnership with Lady Murrelbuck so important.

"I will be plain with him I am sure, even if I try otherwise," he chuckled. "But maybe that will shake him enough to admit some of what he has hidden from us so far. He does seem rather smug, and we'd better find out why or we'll be at his mercy."

Sebastian cocked his head slightly as he looked at the baroness. "Could he have struck a deal with Dragonskeep or the Mouth? If he could count on their support, and for their protection on his flanks, it would free him up on other fronts." And that thinking led Sebastian north of the Fire Pass, to Foreno's northern neighbour.

"You don't suppose he has his eyes on Hulmnoy, do you?" he wondered aloud, although in a quiet voice aimed only at Magdalena. "The baron seems...fragile. If Foreno were to take control of Hulmnoy, he would straddle the pass and be able to control the east-west trade route. I've heard our Baron Sanguine has been building his forces up in number and skill. I wonder, could we even stop him if we wanted to?"
[color=orange]Avatar courtesy of Tazlure's own, the incredible Finley Ward![/color]
Guido Cercatoro

“I agree that a no-nonsense, straightforward approach to Foreno may be best,” concurred the Baroness. “He will probably respect you if you do so.”

“I have no knowledge of the Baron having alliances with Dragonskeep or the Mouth; I am sure I would be aware if it was the case.” Magdalena’s face grew thoughtful at the mention of Hulmnoy. “I believe that you may be right about Hullmnoy. The Baron is disturbed since the loss of his wife and I feel certain that Foreno is trying to arrange for his daughter to marry Hulmnoy. If the Baron was then condemned as mad, it would give him an effective hold on the barony. I doubt that anyone would care much if he took hold of its lands and added them to his own.”

“As for military might, well, I am told that he has been building his forces whilst the rest of the nobles fret about the succession. How strong he is, I do not know. However, I have heard that he has recruited a mage who is reputed to have some power. Can we stop him? Do want to? He is a clever and astute man. He would probably govern well in Hulmnoy and Pax if that is the limit of his ambitions.”

The Baroness gave Sebastian a quiet smile and raised her hand to touch his arm. “And you, Baron? What are your ambitions in all this?”
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

"A mage, you say...indeed?" That gave Sebastian some pause, for it lent credence that Foreno was serious about his undertakings, whatever they may be. He was reminded of the correspondence he had received from a mage in Pax some months ago, something about trade opportunities. He'd had Edvar look into the matter further, but not much had come of it. Maybe it was time to think about renewing that conversation.

"I'm not saying it would be a bad thing to have strength among us. The One knows it is all they will respect in the capital, especially if it puts a clamp on the pass to Dragonskeep and thence to Terra Incognita. If we could pull Drakedoder onside in any negotiations with the throne, we would have a coalition to be reckoned with."

"But you hit on my fears as well. As long as Foreno seeks the good of Hulmnoy and Pax, I have no particular objection. If his ambitions run farther, or higher, or however you wish to term it, then I may not be so apathetic."

Magdalena's touch sent a tiny thrill down his arm, creating excitement and concern in Sebastian. "I have few to be honest, though they are not inconsequential," he answered the baroness' question. "Chief among them would be the continued return of prosperity of Brie, and for that to happen I need the kingdom to remain stable and at peace. No more crusades like T'aquar or Aveas, and no more desertions like World's Mouth. A strong but just king upon the throne who will, using his sworn lords and ladies of course, look after the people of the kingdom."

"How difficult could that be?" he smiled, poking fun at his naive desires before a more pensive expression stole across his face.

"I want the people of Pax to be freed," he said in a softer voice, knowing the potential implications of such words. "I want all the people of the kingdom to just be able to live their lives, without so much interference from above telling them how they should do that." Sebastian looked to Magdalena, his eyes searching for her feelings on the matter. He knew she had many "non-believers" within her borders, abutting T'aquar as she did. The sizeable halfling population of Brie was likewise only superficially committed to the Dominican ideal. But did that make them bad people? Did it make them a threat to the security of the kingdom? Not even close, he would answer. But would Magdalena?

"Ahh, maybe I should just worry about getting married and having a few children to keep me busy," he chuckled, temporarily breaking the seriousness of the moment.
Guido Cercatoro

“Perhaps then we should seek an accommodation with Foreno,” ventured the Baroness, pursing her lips thoughtfully. “The three of us together would make a relatively powerful block. Whatever Foreno’s ambitions, he is a pragmatist and no religious zealot. If Pax was to revolt against the kingdom, any new King would feel bound to intervene. However, if an ostensibly loyal noble was to take command, then it might be quietly forgotten.”

“There is also another element to this – the provost. I have heard nothing but good of him. He has been liberal in his application of the laws and he is, after all, Foreno’s son despite their apparent differences. He has made some accommodation with the dissenters here and might prove to be someone acceptable to all sides in the conflict that is brewing here.”

As if on cue, the two nobles that she was speaking off entered the courtyard. The Baron of Foreno was talking quietly to his son who had a serious look on his handsome face. Trailing a few steps behind them were Lady Anthea and Clarissa. The group were approached by servants who rapidly furnished them with wine.

“May I suggest that when they finish their conversation, I talk to the provost whilst you approach Foreno,” said the Baroness, leaning close to Sebastian. Magdalena was wearing a strong sweet and rather intoxicating perfume and, this close, her ally could not fail to be aware of the undoubted allure of the woman.
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

Sebastian nodded as he considered Magdalena's words. One of his main goals in coming to Pax was to establish just such a bloc, a united front the Baron Estates could present when dealing with the capital. And yet, a small stir of emotion roiled deep inside him when he considered Foreno potentially claiming both Hulmnoy and Pax. Why should he get it all? Sebastian thought privately. Why not some for me, or Magdalena? If we are unbalanced amongst ourselves, it is not a united front so much as one rival to the throne with some hangers-on. That did not appeal to Sebastian at all, though he was ashamed to admit such a selfish, jealous reaction out loud.

"I have still not met the Provost," he said instead, "for all the messages he has sent professing his interest in seeing me. Perhaps it is best you speak with him, and I with Maurice. With any luck, between the two of us we might piece together something of what Foreno has planned, and find a way to turn it to the good of the baronies in general."

Foreno's family had only arrived though, and so Sebastian was forced to wait until their private conversations dried up and the opportunity arose for outsiders to approach. That left him singled out with the baroness, standing close and with an inviting, arousing scent clinging to her. Sebastian swallowed, trying to refocus, but Magdalena was making it very, very difficult.

"That is, er...that is an interesting perfume you are wearing, m'lady," he ventured a little awkwardly, his eyes looked to the baroness and then away again, nervously. "Where is it from?"
Guido Cercatoro

The Baroness let out a girlish peal of laughter at Sebastian’s comment concerning her perfume. “Oh, that will have to remain my secret, Baron. A girl must have some secrets after all.” She fluttered her eyelashes ostentatiously. Then, she let one slender hand fall on Sebastian’s arm.

“Aaah our quarries are now available,” she whispered. The young Provost had moved to the food table whilst Clarissa and Anthea were in conversation with a large barrel-chested nobleman. Foreno was standing alone, his eyes darting around those present.

If Sebastian approached Foreno, he would be greeted by a friendly smile. “Aaah, I am glad you have arrived, Baron. It will give us an opportunity to get to know each other better. Would you like some wine?” He snapped his fingers and a servant with a tray full of glasses of red wine approached quickly.

“These wines are from my estate,” explained the nobleman. “I would be interested in your opinion.” A rich heady and fruity aroma emanated from the wine.
Sebastian Beauvais
Baron of Brie

Magdalena's gentle touch stirred up more guilt in Sebastian, guilt over how he felt when she touched his arm and spoke quietly in his ear. Never had he been so relieved as when the baroness pointed out their targets were available for conversation. He needed to escape Magdalena's close presence or else something bad might happen. Something very bad, Sebastian thought in a panicky inner voice.

"I'm off to the baron then," he said, taking immediate advantage of the opening circumstance provided. Thank the One for small blessings. "Good luck with the Provost," he bade his companion before heading toward Maurice.

"I would like that," Sebastian acknowledged Foreno's offer to get to know one another, once he'd approached the baron. Upon receiving the offer of wine, Sebastian smiled and nodded his assent. "If they are from your estate, how could I refuse?" He rescued a glass from the servant's tray and considered it in the concert's light for a few flickers.

"I must admit I'm not very educated in wines," he admitted to begin with, figuring pretension would not sit well with his partner in conversation. Foreno had struck Sebastian as fairly direct, so trying to bluff on matters such as wine seemed a foolish risk. "But I know what I like, for good or ill." The young baron allowed the aroma to drift up to his nose and then briefly swirled the wine in his glass before taking a mouthful.

"And I like this," he nodded to Foreno, impressed with the vintage. "Very nice indeed."

"I met your daughter Clarissa and Lady Anthea earlier," Sebastian commented, glancing over at the pair speaking to another nobleman. "Most charming. Have you brought anyone else to the town for the festival?" he inquired, raising an eyebrow as he regarded Maurice.

Eric's reports had included disguised soldiers or mercenaries in the town, and Sebastian suspected Foreno might be involved. If the working theory he and Magdalena had worked out was anywhere near the mark, the baron might be preparing to make a bid for control of the protectorate. But would he drop even a hint of his plans this eveningtide? Sebastian hoped his questions would offer the opportunity, at least.

Return to “The Baron Estates”