Terra West Trading Co - Prologue - Jy 31st MT

Moderators: Maeve, Mods

Ashari
Moderator & Coordinator Mer Cities

Terra West Trading Co - Prologue - Jy 31st MT

Post by Ashari »

Morningtide 1st Mark (6am)

The day started still.

Sunshine cut between buildings at long angles, making for extensive shadows as bells tolled the changing of tides. It also spelled death for a pirate set for hanging and the opening of the doors to the first arrivals into the city. The morning bell was an important one - but the same could be said of the others all depending on circumstance.

For the boys in the caravan this was the most telling and important toll of the day - as it meant it was time to prepare for departure. It would be the last time announcement they'd hear for a tenday - if not longer, and none carried the mythical candles to count marks, leaving them in the ambiguity of travel where one could only count heartbeats as flickers and footfalls as progress. Respite came in the form of nightfall, and even that had it's perils.

The sunrise that morning had been stained pink mixed with teal before giving over to the white-wash of early skies. This had, in turn, now melded into blue heavens dotted with puffy white clouds. The wagons, wrapped with white fabric, gleamed in the sunshine, while oxen and horses alike sniffed and snuffed. Jezara added an exuberant whinny to the chorus of animals noises while the packing began.

At five burns past a familiar carriage rumbled up - early, as usual, Calron jumped out and sought out one of the young men he'd talked to prior. Another cart followed his, and this one had three plain large crates in it which had hinged and locked tops as well as three young men wearing leather armor under varied brown tunics.
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]
Mikail
Civus

Post by Mikail »

Mikail was one of the first to arrive, as he didn't really have anything else to do. Early is on time and on time is late. He loaded up the saddlebag that hung over Jezera (as his personal vessel that he shared with Haikan, he decided to let her personally carry his apothecary supplies). He put two large glass containers of the astringent in one side with the painkillers and the mundane healing herbs, along with the anesthetic. On the other side, he put his alchemy books, his cook book, and various others, along with his incomplete potion projects. The poisons and personal focus potions, as well as Ulder's letter, he kept on himself. Once he was situated, he fed Jezera an apple and patted her snout.

As he waited for the others to arrive he sat, calmly reading the most recent book he picked up, one he was having trouble wrapping his head around. He still wasn't that profound in the written language, but he was getting better. Matiel had taught him about as much as he could, and it was now up to himself to further his learning.

He hadn't spoken to Haikan between his awakening and the present, but he didn't really care to hear the story. He wasn't upset anymore, in fact he was happy that his concentration potion was so successful. However, he was still distracted by the night's happenings enough that he couldn't focus on reading. What if they had been wolves...

Mikail put his book down next to one of the wagons and walked away from the caravan. He walked about a hundred meters away from the caravan, eyes hanging low, looking at his feet. Would I have been able to defend anyone? He looked at his arrows, deeply disappointed in himself. He'd gotten so caught up in his academic advancement (which wasn't easy with no formal teaching) that he'd forgotten all about self defense. Come to think of it, he didn't even go running in the mornings with Haikan, even though he was always awake early enough. Since Mikail came to King's Court, he hadn't even drawn an arrow once, save the night before. He wasn't even sure if he could hit a sleeping dog. Could I? Maybe one of the men in the crossbow division can show me something, I'm sure they've shot bows before.

Mikail grabbed an arrow and pulled it taut, aiming at one a post that stood about fifty meters away, without another person in sight. He didn't think to aim higher than his mark, he merely pointed the arrow at it. I bet I can't even shoot that far... He lifted the arrow to his lip like his neighbor had taught him to, and used his thumb to point it at the post. Here goes nothing

With that, he released his thumb and his index and middle fingers.
Last edited by Mikail on Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Belief without doubt is blindness. Open your eyes; [i]answer the questions, but do not be afraid to question the answers[/i]
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

Where has Mary gone off to? The bright-eyed adhiel wondered as he approached the meeting spot at the warehouse. Alongside him followed a small dragon, whose scales matched the fiery red of his shoulder length hair. Fangwyrd, the 'legendary' Napolean of Tazlure, was to accompany Haikan and partake in the heroism to come.

The captain was carrying a trunk, and strapped to his belt there was his normal schlaeger, but also on the other side he carried a Main-gauche, and he had an extra sword strapped to his back, as well as a knapsack filled with food, bandages and supplies. He wouldn't be coming home for a long time, and he needed to be prepared. For sanity's sake, he also brought his lute, which was strapped to his back alongside the sword.

He was carrying a fair amount of things.

His captain's jacket was worn under his cloth adventuring cloak and over his black hard-leather armor, and in his knapsack he had a folded up spare set of clothing for training and sleeping. Black hard-leather chaps that matched his jacket were worn over his white pants, and he was ready for anything. He even brought his shortbow, though he doubted he would need it. He approached the second from the front wagon, and deposited all of his excess things in the saferoom. It was just a small room where the assets and company property was to be kept, which had a lock on it, the keys belonging to the officers of the company. He left his bow, his extra sword, and his knapsack in the room, as well as Fangwyrd's treasures. He also left his cloak, not needing so many layers in this weather, He was content with just the undertunic, armor and his jacket.

"There great Fangwyrd, your treasures will be quite safe here." The captain turned the key in the door as it shut, to emphasize the security and he walked away from the door and hopped down onto the ground, looking around for the horses, oxen, soldiers and of course the customers, which were all to arrive at 6. He was more or less fifteen burns early. Of course not quite as soon to arrive as Mikail, he had passed him on his way down, wanting to relieve his arms of his burdens first. He waved at his half-brother, who had just shot an arrow at a post.

"Mikail, good morningtide my brother!"
Last edited by Haikan on Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:37 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

Jezara nuzzled Mikail as he loaded her up with his personal belongings. She seemed up to and ready for the task of bearing his load. The apple as payment for her obedient posture was more than her small brain could've imagined, and she munched on it happily.

Being a bit early, the achadhiel had time to scan through a book, but he didn't get much out of it. His mind was quick to wander, and his fingers itched for practice.

Already having the very basics under his belt, Mikail could feel the taught string between the ends of the bow. Twang! The released the arrow flew through the air in a straight shot that started to lose momentum about halfway between him and the post. It landed a few paces short of his target and stuck in the dirt between two cobbles. The fletching waved in the air as a small draft caught the end and wiggled the upright arrow in it's new spot.

With Haikan by his side, Fangwyrd pranced merrily. He'd been modest enough to stuff the rest of his amulets into a sack, and had even re-arranged the items in his trunk so that his small crown fit in it. It meant he wasn't wearing any of his outward signs of nobility and was just a small dragon humming and chirping a silly little melody with his adhiel friend by his side. Both got a view of Mikail's small failure, but Fang even managed to keep his mouth shut about that.

Rather than saying anything he stood up on his hind legs and puffed up his chest while waiting for Haikan to introduce him to this other member of their party. I hope he's not meant to defend us.
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]
Mikail
Civus

Post by Mikail »

Mikail was not surprised by his failure; he hadn't shot since he'd been in T'aquar. Cinnamon! That was awful! Mikail didn't even bother fetching his arrow before he threw up his hands and stormed back to his spot next to Jezera. "This is just great. I can make bleeding wounds close and put dangerous men to sleep, but I am the WORST shot in Tazlure!"

I also can't swing a sword to save my life. There's got to be something I can do about this.

When Mikail's eyes fell upon Fangwyrd, they quickly rolled into the back of his head. Since when do we have a fucking dragon in our caravan? That was probably what caused all the wolves to freak out last night! Without tying his glances at the creature to his unpleasant facial expressions, he took another curious look, before he hung his bow on the back of Jezera's saddlebag. He sure is tiny... I hope he's not meant to defend us.

Mikail turned to Haikan in response to his morning greeting. "You know, Haikan, I think if I encounter any orcs I'm just going to throw the arrows at them. I'd do better to heave rocks with this awful aim."
Belief without doubt is blindness. Open your eyes; [i]answer the questions, but do not be afraid to question the answers[/i]
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

"Well, if you care to share your poison, we have ten shooters among our men, so they could do their jobs, enhanced by your alchemical resourcefulness." He put his hand on Mikail's shoulder and looked him in the eyes. "Mikail you shouldn't be on the battlefield, it isn't your job, and you would be risking your life. Your alchemy will prove essential to minimizing casualties on the battlefield, so I hope you will focus on that." He didn't want Mikail on the battlefield. Mikail was his only brother and closest friend, and his job was not to risk his life for the safety of others. It could be in time, but certainly not yet. "Please don't concern yourself with joining battle, your talents and wits are needed elsewhere." He looked down at the puffed-up Fangwyrd and knew what he wanted. Of course, he wanted a grande introduction. The captain stepped aside and extended his arms to elegantly display the small dragon.

"Mikail my brother, I would like you to meet our newest hero. For brevity's sake I call him Fangwyrd, or King; but some have been known to call him the Great King Fangwyrd of the Western Terra Expanse. He is braving the adventuring field along with us, and he is a wise, powerful dragon, as well as a good friend."

He stepped out of the way and allowed Fang to do his thing and bow graciously. "King, this is Mikail. He is the apothecary and cook for the caravan, and he is my half-brother from up North." The captain looked around in hopes of seeing Geoffrey, Matiel, Calron or somebody who might also be here.

"King, I would also like to introduce you to Matiel and Anistis, as well as my subordinates. Mikail, Have you seen anybody around yet?"
Last edited by Haikan on Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Anistis
The Tender

Post by Anistis »

Proud of himself for having gotten to bed a decent hour and not being late for the outset of his first journey outside of King's Court, Anistis strolled up to the caravan, quietly humming a simple Dominican hymn to himself. He wasn't vested, but wore a plain white linen shirt a pair of gray canvas breeches. The only thing he wore to tie him to the Dominican faith, let alone its clergy, was the silver ring he always wore on a chain around his neck. Over his shoulder he carried a small bag containing his vestments, along with ten sheets of blank parchment and a tightly sealed ink well. At his left side, attached to his belt, was a purse containing all of his money and at his right was Haikan's fencing foil. In his left arm he carried his large copy of the Book of the One. Inside of it, marking Anistis' favorite passage in the Book Apostolic, were the Codex pages given to him by the Lady Debrona.

Anistis arrived just in time to see his first dragon, which seemed to be the focus of attention at the moment.

"Wow!" Anistis said in disbelief, taking a place beside Haikan. "What a cute little guy!" He'd heard many things about the magic and might of dragons; he hadn't expected something so... small. Nevertheless, appearances were nothing to be judged upon. He turned his attention from the dragon to Haikan, a smile upon his face, in wonder of the new and exciting creature.

"Is he meant to defend us?"
Last edited by Anistis on Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mikail
Civus

Post by Mikail »

"You're right... I am just a learning apothecary." Mikail's face relaxed, but then showed continuing frustration, and he spoke up again right as the acolyte came within distance. "Still, what if we're separated? What if the men bailed on us? What if they turned on us? There is no excuse for weakness. He who stands alone stands for himself." He wasn't really too frightened about separation, and he felt like he had enough aces in his sleeve to at least escape danger, but he emphasized this point hoping to instill some fear in the Dominican. Even in such passive ways that he doesn't notice, he desires to pick at their psyche.

After he finished his little speech the acolyte mentioned the dragon.

"Is he meant to defend us?"

Damn it! He is meant to defend us! Not only does Haikan not have faith in our men but he's going to insult us by protecting us with a scaly cat! With a completely blank face he looked back down at the dragon (usually a complete lack of emotion in his face is a sign that he's outraged, because he hides few other expressions aside from anger, suspicion, and fear).

A smile then spread across his face. King of the Western Terra Expanse? Either this is going to be one hilarious friend to make, or i have no idea what he can do. Either way, I can live with that.

At this point his full attention fell, rather, crashed to the presence of the Dominican. His subconscious anger was now completely realized. With boiling blood he turned his head to the young acolyte, but then he relaxed. Mikail hated Oneists with the white hot intensity of a thousand suns, but something about Anistis distilled that anger. He was the first Dominican Mikail met that he couldn't imagine harming (or even hating) other peoples. He got a similar feeling about Sebastian, but he wasn't a direct member of the church so it wasn't as peculiar an impression.

"Maybe I can talk to Mr. Bolotin about a little tutorial. I could use a little instruction whether my life's in danger or not." He gave a greeting bow to Anistis and bid good morningtide.

"Well met, Anistis. Did you sleep well my friend?"
Last edited by Mikail on Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

At his hearty introduction Fangwyrd lifted his chin and flared his nostrils. His twin pair of horns came to sharp points that'd likely gore right through the center of anyone he chose to headbutt. While he gave his thematic pose he barely listened to the rest of what Haikan had to say, but did manage to give out a snort when he realized he was being referred to as cute. Ember blazed eyes fixed onto Anistis with the feral severity of a cougar. His eliptical irises focused on the acolyte and narrowed to slits.

"Do not talk above me, mortal," he snarled toward Anistis as he posed the question to Haikan rather than his own person. Truly, it was rather rude, as if Fang couldn't answer for himself. "Squire, may I eat this one?" Turn about was fair play, and thus he posed the question to Haikan rather soberly, as if he were asking for someone to pass the salt at dinner.

The teeth he exposed while talking were long and narrow like needles and his claws were pointed and sharp like knives. No meal is as good as a good Dominican! Fangwyrd's life had recently (over the past few decades or so) become rather relaxed as well as reclusive. He'd grown accustomed to not being harassed based on his size, or worse being spoken contemptuously to by anyone. Infact, his master had praised him often, and built into him his sense of self-worth.

Haikan's men gathered round and looked onto the small creature with a mixture of interest, curiosity and amusement. "Lookit it," one said to another. "Captain's got quite the pet," another commented more in marvel of Haikan than the dragon. Fangwyrd's ire burned beneath the surface, but he maintained a cool face while his throat throbbed with the chemicals of his fire breath. Toasted Dominican with garlic... fried Oneist and potatoes... oh.. no.. Holy Breakfast, mmm...

Calron, meanwhile, having just arrived, instructed his men to begin offloading their crates while he swiftly walked toward the gathering crowd. He couldn't yet see what was at the center of their attention, but he had a mind to think it was something interesting, and so he didn't slow in his approach wanting to get a look at what the group of soldiers found so intriguing. Ever ready to exploit an opportunity, the money handler couldn't resist. He cleared his throat as he reached the outer perimeter of men and could've sworn he caught a glimpse of a baby dragon.

OOC: I just want to give you guys a wee-warning. There'll be plenty of time during the caravan for you to have PC interaction threads, but while you're being moderated try to be mindful of other players involved - we don't want anyone to get "out-posted" due to enthusiasm. It's best to keep a bit of a post order. If you do find during the course of the caravan (at nearly any time except impassable threads) that you'd like to split off in a private thread for some one-on-one talking feel free! There you can hyper to your heart's content. Yay! If anyone has any questions feel free to PM me.
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

"Now now, master Fang, he forgets himself." Haikan interjected before Anistis dug himself a boiling grave. "He is still a young human boy who is easily misled by aesthetics. Forgive him, for in actuality he is quite a good boy, who represents his faith more nobly than any Dominican I'd ever met." He quickly gave Anistis a cautioning look, to prevent himself from an untimely end.

The adhiel captain nodded as Mikail mentioned learning from Bolotin. "Leonard is an experienced old fellow who is always willing to explain things of physics and shooting. You'll be hard-pressed to be turned down for tutilage from him." As the soldiers gathered 'round to see his 'pet,' he began to worry. Uh oh, the soldiers are getting the wrong idea of Fangwyrd, I'd better do something.

"Folks, judge one not by size. Master Fangwyrd is not only a powerful and clever dragon, but he is actually a Terra West business partner. He is not my pet, no you misunderstand. He is my partner, and he is of equal respect of myself and Matiel Escariot, in terms of patronage." He didn't want to explain that Fangwyrd was to join battles and teach him magick, if he did that, folks would ask him to prove himself or doubt his abilities. That would probably bring even more disrespect to the dragon, which wouldn't be fair. Haikan was very aware of how important respect was to the dragon. For now they just needed to know that he was to be respected.
Last edited by Haikan on Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anistis
The Tender

Post by Anistis »

Anistis' eyes and mouth popped open and he failed to stifle a gasp when the dragon spoke. After the quick exchange between the Fangwyrd and Haikan, Anistis' face flushed scarlet. He felt awful for having offended him so. The best he could offer by way of apology was a deep deferential bow and, "I'm sorry sir. I've never met a dragon before; it speaks to my ignorance and thoughtlessness that I didn't know you were a sentient being, and if I had, I'd have never spoken so."

As he rose from his bow, Anistis couldn't help but keep his eyes on the dragon, more wowed by it now than when he thought it was merely an exotic pet. "I look forward to traveling with you, sir, and I hope my poor first impression won't continue to color your opinion of me."

Once that situation was generally smoothed over, he would return his attention to Mikail. "I did indeed sleep well, and it's good to see you this morningtide. I'm really excited, since this will be my first time leaving King's Court.

"Haikan," he said, addressing his friend and captain for this expedition, "I invited some other companions to meet us here this morningtide. Do you have any objections to their coming along?"
Last edited by Anistis on Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mikail
Civus

Post by Mikail »

Mikail chuckled as Anistis's eyes glazed over with amazement over the little animal. Maybe I'm just hard to surprise after growing up in the most magical kingdom in Tazlure. The dragon began to show outrage at the poor acolyte, and though he seemed very riled up, I doubt he could wrap his mouth around one of the zealot's feet.

When Haikan gave the 'ok' to seek a lesson from Bolotin, Mikail turned to take his leave, only to find a small crowd was drawing. Facing the crowd and away from the dragon, he muttered to Haikan under his breath, avoiding Anistis's blunder of audibly condescending the creature.

"Well I can't rightly go when things are just getting interesting; looks like you've got some explaining to do for our shiny new winged cat!"

He listened patiently to his brother speaking, because he really wanted to know what this little animal's story was. He didn't doubt the creature's power, but after the most sacred of sacred was torn down before his eyes, his skepticism massively outweighed his reverence for just about anything in the 'Western Terra Expanse.' He was very curiously paying attention until his brother began leaking his effective diplomatic air of kiss-asserie, only noticeable to the trained ear of his kin. Damn it what is he really doing here? Sure as hell isn't a business adviser, we've got those growing on trees! I'll have to ask Haikan later. I also don't think cats are usually hired in that field without a lot of public recognition... We would have known about him from day one. He hid these thoughts behind a look of amazement; a pretense that did a pretty good job of blending him in the group that was only paying attention to the dragon anyway.

When Anistis apologized, Mikail's expression of interest slowly shifted to a stifled laugh and then a face-palm. If he didn't dig his grave before, he sure did now. He may be my favorite Dominican, but I sure am glad that he isn't our business representative.

The stifled laugh soon became an unpleasant coughing fit as Mikail choked on Anistis's next words.
"I invited some other companions to meet us here this morningtide. Do you have any objections to their coming along?"

Mother... give me the patience to avoid poisoning the food of any and all of Anistis's friends of the church. After he successfully subsided his cough, he slung his quiver over the saddlebag and pulled his scarf over his face, as was routine for the beginning of the day. Only when it got extremely hot in the morning did he skip this practice. He was becoming more social but he still felt the need for a wall between his thoughts, words, and everyone else.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

The dragon's throat glowed gently (something which Anistis was most likely to notice), but as Haikan ironed out the situation he swallowed the building mixture with a grimace. "That's right, then. You've heard him. Carry along, boys," Fang said looking around him.

Haikan's crew shuffled about, and realizing they weren't going to get to see the pet do any interesting tricks, started to meander off to pack their belongings into the appropriate area in the caravan before loading up the goods that were arriving.

"Why, young tradesman, that's quite the friend you've got there," Calron said, his bright eyes alight with thoughts of money. What people would pay to see you! He thought while watching Fangwyrd slink down onto all four paws where he snuffed mirrored streams of smoke toward Mikail after his winged cat comment.

Clearing his throat at the small creature's spectacle, he gave over his full attention to the Terra West Traders. "Where should my men bring the crates?" He asked as his fingers interlaced with eachother. Again, he wore an outlandishly bright ensemble of diamond patterned pantaloons, leggings and a fancy vest all in tones of cream and white with gold embelishments at the hems. It was an Audrey Harden original. Calron did like to dress well. Large signet rings displayed his wealth quite well.
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

It's alright Fangwyrd, you'll always get the respect you need when you are in my company. Haikan didn't have an outrageous ego, but he could understand how one would feel frustrated with an appearance unfit to their abilities. He made a note to include the dragon on their next logo, perhaps he could be the symbol of the company. He would have to ask first, for there is a chance he wouldn't like that idea at all. The captain appreciated the dragon, and his men would too, if they knew what was good for them. It was times like this that he was pleased with the results of their long and taxing interview process, that reared a group of not just skilled, but good-natured, understanding soldiers, top of the line, indeed.

"My brother, Fangwyrd is a dragon of great ability, I would rather you not disrespect him. I assure you, he is extremely capable and does not need his ability challenged." He offered a half-smile, with his eyes insisting that Mikail avoid confrontation with the dragon. He then cleared his throat, and he raised his voice to an authoritative tone, that all in the company would hear, and he paced along their ranks as he spoke.

"Soldiers, atten-hut!" He shouted with rhythm, calling them to listen. "We will cast off in half a mark, see to your areas and make sure you have your belongings where you want them." He pointed to the first cart and the middle two carts and the last cart, for those were the carts that housed the employees. "Privates meet with your lieutenants after doing so. Each squad's lieutenant has been instructed to convey who the first shift of scouts is going to be. All who are not scouting are free to relax in the wagons, but keep your equipment ready!" He stopped and looked around at all of them, making eye contact with every soldier one at a time. "You never know when an emergency could arise, so be prepared! With that, you are dismissed to finish preparing as mentioned earlier. Soldiers, Fall out!" He clapped his hands once, as he ordered the fallout, and he turned to look back for Calron once more.

After his speech to his men, he made his way back to Calron, and he pulled out a piece of paper with the housing information on it, just to double-check where everyone was to go.

The first cart houses the officers of diplomacy, namely Haikan, Mikail, Matiel, Sando, *Fangwyrd*, Anistis *and his friends*.

The first of the two middle-carts is where the sword division of both squads resides, lieutenants and privates alike.

The second of the two middle carts is where the lance division of both squads resides, lieutenants and privates alike.

The last cart is where the crossbow division of both squads resides, lieutenants and privates alike.

The three extra guards have housing in the third cart from the front, so that they may stay close to the goods they are issued to look after.

After reading it, he returned to Calron and re-engaged him in their business chat.

"Your crates can go on the third wagon from the front, Calron. That one is reserved for your patrons' goods only. If you wish, there is room for your guards to sit in there as well." The captain nodded at him and he handed him the piece of paper.

"Oh and Anistis, of course you can bring anyone along that you like, we have room for five, maybe even ten more people if that many can come. Don't forget our company also offers transport of persons as well as goods."

*these additions is scratched in sloppy writing as Haikan just added it moments ago.
Last edited by Haikan on Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:36 am, edited 4 times in total.
Anistis
The Tender

Post by Anistis »

With one last embarassed and apologetic bow in Fangwyrd's direction, Anistis turned to his friend.

"Thank you, Haikan; it's greatly appreciated. I'm bringing them because this trip is an opportunity for two other overlapping missions that I'm on; one for the Lady Debrona, which Matiel is involved in as well, and the other for the Church. I'll gladly explain these to you, but unfortunately, it'll have to be in private. I'm not at liberty to talk about these matters openly. Don't worry, though; none of these things should disrupt our trade mission.

"One of my companions is Azure Stonehand, a woman of apparently considerable skill with a sword. Matiel knows her as well, since Lady Debrona enlisted her for the same task. I invited a number of others, but I'm not sure who will or will not come. At any rate, no matter who shows up, I hope that nobody will be 'easily misled by aesthetics.'"

His tone when he said this wasn't confrontational, for he understood why Haikan had said these things, and was sure that the achadiel knew that he'd been misled by inexperience and not mere appearance.

"I'm afraid that I never got the chance to use this," he said, indicating the foil at his side. "Perhaps there will be an opportunity to get some practice on the journey."
Last edited by Anistis on Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mikail
Civus

Post by Mikail »

"Well sir Fangwyrd, it would seem as though I've already vastly underestimated you; your hearing seems to be a thousand times more powerful than even my elven inherited sense. With a mind perceptive as that, one can only imagine what you're capable of!" Mikail fell to one knee and bowed his head. "You have earned my respect, and I eagerly await working with you." I also eagerly await finding out the real reason why he's here... but that can wait. For now it couldn't hurt to suck up a little bit, at least until I understand the situation. Besides, just because Haikan treats everyone this way doesn't mean this creature doesn't actually deserve it. Mikail looked up at the creature and smiled, though his mouth and nose were hidden it was still perceivable through his eyes.

He stood up and tossed the right flank of his scarf over his shoulder and took a few paces back. They're talking business... that means things are about to get real boring. I'd better get out of here. With a quick look at Haikan he said "I'm going to go look for Anna, and get her situated with the inventory she'll be working with. I'll catch you later." He didn't really want to do that; he figured she'd just kind of learn from watching. Just because he'd learned to talk to people didn't mean he wanted to become best friends with everyone that can talk, especially young humans. She'd get her chances to win his approval, but for now he simply didn't care much, he just needed an excuse to get out of the scene before he got bored to death. He walked over to the post, and after he picked up his arrow he headed back to the first cart, where he opened his book and dove in again.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

Fangwyrd was well placated by the bipeds around them, and waved toward Mikail as if to say that his knee bending was unnecessary - though he ate up every single bit of it.

As for the rest of his plans, Mik had no trouble gathering his arrow nor heading toward the front cart where he could get himself situated in the depths of his reading. No one was likely to bother him until they were ready to leave - well, that would have been the thought if Anna hadn't seen his departing form as he tried to find some solace away from the ever growing crowd. "Mister Mikail!" She called, jogging after him with the burden of her bag dragging her wiry frame down.

Geoffrey, rubbing his eyes, moved through the group of men to take up beside Haikan while he gave his orders, and nodded to him. He had dark circles under his eyes - giving over to the idea that he likely had a long night, though he looked to be in fairly good spirits and not hung over.

"Third wagon from the front, alright," Calron reiterated. "They will stay with their crates, yes. That is best. Thank you," the well-dressed man stuck out his hand for Haikan to shake, and when he withdrew it he procured a sack from the inside of his vest which he placed in the adhiel's hands. "From my employers," he said, and patted the soft satin pouch with a smile. "Do contact me on your return. I look forward to continued business with you, Captain." With that, Calron was on his way. He was a busy man, and had things to do, though he wasn't likely to forget about the interesting red creature that Haikan kept as a pet.

He stopped to instruct his men, and they removed the heavy crates and brought them to the wagon they were directed toward while Calron jumped in his carriage and was off.

Several other merchants arrived to deposit their goods in wagons. The guards under Haikan's command shifted about aimlessly and packed their bags away.
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

"Hold on a second." The captain opened the pouch and counted the amount. If it was the agreed price he would simply nod and dismiss Calron with a friendly farewell. Where the heck is Matiel? He's supposed to be handling the money! Over top of his frustration, the adhiel maintained a cheerful air and an amiable smile, as he single-handedly took care of all the business and whatnot, until at last he'd recieved all the appropriate amounts from all of their clients. Once that was done he placed the parcels of money inside his jacket for safekeeping until Sando was available.

"Well Anistis, you can feel free to set up a space for yourself in the front wagon, unless you would prefer to wait for your friends that may be coming." The captain gave him a pat on the shoulder and he turned his attention to Fangwyrd. "I have to speak to a few of my soldiers before we make our way to our living place. It will only be a moment." With that, he headed to the rear wagon to speak to the ranged guards who were setting up their things.

"Gentlemen, I need you to each lend me five of your bolts, which I am going to have Mikail administer with a special agent that will give instant drowsiness and almost immediate unconsciousness to anyone or thing whose skin is pierced by them." He pulled a crate aside for the bolts to be placed in, and continued. "The special bolts will have cloth coverings on their tips when you recieve them back, and there will be marks on their shafts so you know which they are, in case they become uncovered and mixed with mundane bolts."

This was one of several measures he was taking with his soldiers to minimize, if not eliminate the possibility of casualties in the event of a crisis. Mikail knew how to apply the solution to a blade, but Haikan wasn't sure how safe that would be for the soldiers to have poisoned swords, and he didn't want to push Mikail too hard. If he could tip the lances, that would be great, but that would probably require Mikail to spend a great deal of energy, since a blade is much larger, and therefore would require more solution than the tip of a bolt. For now, the bolts were a good enough start.

Hopefully these precautions will save many lives...
Matiel Escariot
Civus
Location: In a place surrounded by farms I my family does not own.

Post by Matiel Escariot »

"I apologize," his eyes were struggling to open up.

Matiel was much delayed in coming. There several things he had tried to do and finish the night before, allowing him merely a couple of hours rest. He cursed himself for the unneeded torture of staying awake at a crucial time like this, but then again, maybe it was a sacrifice he had to take.

"For being so late," Matiel waited for Haikan to finish his announcement before he walked up to him and greet him.

"There were a few errands I had to complete last night," his voice was softer than usual, enough for Haikan to hear, but a little weaker than usual tendency for sharpened statements.
Anistis
The Tender

Post by Anistis »

"Ah, good morningtide, Matiel!" Anistis was happy to see the scholar, and extended his hand for a hearty shake. "Don't worry. You're not the only one who's late; we're still waiting for Sando, not to mention Azure, who might be coming along, too. I think this trip is a good oportunity, by the way, for us to further our little scavenger hunt, don't you? We'll have to check out the first library we come across in our travels. Sorry to hear you didn't get enough sleep. I hope that your errands were fruitful, at least. Besides," he said, "I'm sure there'll be time to doze while we're on the move."

It was as he said this that Anistis noticed Anna. She was very pretty, but, as was typical of the young man's associations with members of the opposite sex, Anistis only noticed this on a completely platonic level. The smile on his face came not from from admiration and certainly not lust, but only from curiosity and anticipation of making a new friend.

"Who's that?" Anistis asked Haikan, indicating the girl with a slight nod in her direction. "I've never seen her before; a friend of Mikail's?"
Mikail
Civus

Post by Mikail »

Mikail dropped his book as he heard the girl call after him, but did not make a startled or unsettled face; he merely looked up at her blankly and blinked once. She looked encumbered by her luggage, but she jogged up to him nonetheless.

"Mister Mikail!"

"Please, just call me Mikail, or Mik should you so choose to abbreviate. If you really want to address me formally you may use my surname, Verida, but I don't demand such respect." His empty gaze continued, until it occurred to him how cold he sounded sometimes. He took a deep sigh and picked up his book, trying to put warmth in his voice. "How was your sleep? Do you feel prepared for the journey ahead of us?"

Everyone else was outlining their plans for the next few tides, but not Mikail. "There really is no need to address our business; we have it all taken care of. We both know how to cook mundane meals from a book, and there's no sense working before work is due. I plan on relaxing until we leave the 'vigilant' gates. As long as you're taken care of we should be able to take it easy. I'll answer any questions about what we're doing to the soldiers or officers. Here," Mikail outstretched his hand, looking down at her bag. "Let's put that sack of yours up on the wagon, unless you're more comfortable with it at your side."
Last edited by Mikail on Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Azure Stonehand
Civus

Post by Azure Stonehand »

"Good morningtide!" Azure spoke out of breath from hurrying. "I am so sorry I'm a little late. I was...out last night with Petros, Zeyanara and Jacob." She clutched her side and panted to catch her breath. Once she could easily breathe, she looked at Anistis and gave him a smile. Her eyes sparkled.

"Anistis! It is so good to see you. Did you know there's going to be a hanging and Petros is going to try to stop it?" Azure's question was more a statement. "Some pirate. I've never seen a hanging all the years I've lived here. I'm not quite sure I want to see one now either." She frowned deeply. "I'm sure it's not pretty and it's something I could do without seeing, but I was curious. Oh I'm sorry. I'm prattling on again. I really must stop that. Zeyanara is a bad influence on me. Matiel, you already know me and its good to see you again." She looked at the others briefly. "I'm Azure Stonehand, a friend of Anistis' and I've traveled with Matiel for Lady Debrona. I'm pleased to meet all of you!"
Azure Stonehand
AKA Meisha
Matiel Escariot
Civus
Location: In a place surrounded by farms I my family does not own.

Post by Matiel Escariot »

"Being that we're all almost here, I might as well get on to work then," Matiel nodded his greeting towards all who was here, "It is a good start to a tide isn't it? It's a bit...different though."

Matiel did not fail to take notice. There air was a bit static this tide of morn.

"Haikan," Matiel turned to the captain once more and asked, "Would you mind if I leave you for a moment as I attend to my work? I understand I am late so I would need to carry on immediately."

It was a simple enough routine he had devised. First, he would need to meet the cargo. He would have Mathias record those along with the pricing for each and everyone. He would then attempt to meet every person who desired passage via their little venture. Their names would be listed down as passengers and thus they would be beneath the protection of the company.

Company.

It took but a flicker for Matiel's eyes to glance over the sheets that covered their wagons. Those sheet shone beneath the soft and early light of the day, reflecting their purity as yet untouched by the road and future.

He smiled.

The White Company. Matiel was looking for something to name his travels. It seems that the title for a book had just been made.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

Calron paused as requested, though he wasn't entirely sure what the achadhiel meant by second. These foreigners sure had a strange way of saying things. No matter what Haikan had meant, as he poured the contents of the pouch into his hand he found that it was the proper amount. "Boy after my own heart - counting the money to make sure," Calron said as he fished into his vest to procure another smaller pouch. "For you - I'll speak to you when you return." With that the strange man turned away and whistled a fun little tune to himself as he swiftly departed. Next up were the fabric traders, who also gave the right amount of monies to Haikan before departing to load their goods.

In the smaller satchel Haikan would find his 'tip'. It was a small collection of gems. They were in a variety of green colors and shimmered in the early morning light. Though they had great potential to be beautiful, though as of now they were uncut. If he wanted to use them he'd have to bring them to a gem cutter or jeweler.

The Captain's further request to his bowmen was met with begrudging agreement. They took pride in their bolts - many of them made special fletchings with particular feathers they collected, or dyed and colored pieces of thin starched fabric. Relenting, they gave over the arrows, dropping them all in a barrel that was nearby so that it would be easiest for Mikail to apply the solution to their tips.

Speaking of Mikail... "Mister Verida it is, then," she said with a nod, assuming that by saying he could call him by his family name he meant it with some level of authority. It wasn't that she wouldn't call him by his first name, but she wanted to maintain respect for the man she was going to be working for. It seemed the proper thing to do since Matiel was giving her the chance to start a new life. "I feel great. The beds at the Laughing King are proper ones.. I've never slept in a better softer straw mattress in my life, I'd say." She shifted the strap of her backpack on her thin shoulder as it was digging into her thin bone rather painfully. "I'm so ready for this," she continued, while walking beside Mikail toward wherever it was he was going. She planned to stick to him like glue - as Matiel had instructed.

"I.. I don't really know how to read, so I'm not much of a help when it comes to learning recipes from a book, but I do know how to cook all kinds of things from working at the Mast." When he put out his hand for her bag she grinned. "Thanks, it's aweful heavy. I had to put my whole everything in this pack, you know? Well, I'm sure you do.. You had to do the same thing." She handed over the sack. As she'd said, it was quite heavy.

Matiel, being late, had missed the first few transactions of money between Haikan and those they'd traded with. The only un-accounted for person on their roster so far was Azure, and so she'd be the most likely first person to be spoken to for Matiel as far as passengers were concerned. If there were to be more people looking to take the ride to Brie or beyond they'd not yet arrived. It was still early, yet. Mathias, who'd been waiting patiently for his master to arrive, stepped up to his side. "Good morning tide Master Matiel," he said while preparing his writing board.

Neither Azure nor Anistis had a particular thing to be doing, and they could see that everyone else did what with the way they worked together and moved like a proper little ant hill with a subtle orchestration from their leadership. Their little friend Sando had yet to arrive, but that was only because his short legs were slowing him down.
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

Haikan put the gems inside his belt-satchel. I know exactly who these are for. He had no intention of crafting them into jewelry for himself. Not a particularly decadent man, the adhiel intended fully to craft a gift for his new friend as a 'tip' for teaching him so willingly.

As the bowmen were less than optimistic, the captain assured them it was a good decision, and with his typical contagious confidence, he explained. "Trust me, gentlemen. This is the best way. With Mikail's potion on these bolt-tips, you won't have to aim for a vital spot to take an attacker down." He pointed to his wrist, and to his shoulder. "Anywhere on the body, and they'll be on the ground, snoring for a tide." The captain put his left hand on his swordhilt -a gesture he was performing more and more lately- and his brow furrowed slightly, matching his intelligent half-smile with a look of resolve, as he raised his right hand, shoulder height in the air, and he clenched it into a fist to portray the righteous heroism.

"Strategically speaking, it will give us a significant advantage, and it goes without saying that it will save a great number of lives. You merely must aim for the middle of your opponent, seeing as a hit is all it takes... Much easier than aiming for the heart, head or neck, wouldn't you agree?"

He set a hand on the barrel and tested it's weight with a gentle push, hoping to take it to the front cart for Mikail's first company project. It was a small project, but it would give the achadhiel something to do, which he would appreciate greatly. If it was only the barrel and the bolts, being light and easy to carry, he would hoist it down to the ground and await any questions from his men, before carrying it to the front car.

The elf was keeping an eye out for any sort of trouble, discomfort, or need of assistance amongst the crew and their guests, ever seeking to ease tensions and help folks out.

Return to “KC Archive”