Aboard the Merchant Vessel (JY 30, GT) - Damon Frank QC

The glorious Summer City upon the white cliffs of the magical Mer de la Luna in the Western Kingdom that harbours many nobles. Home to the Summer Palace of the former King as well as vineyards that produce the city's famous wines. Anything is possible here, if you are willing to bring the right sacrifices.

Moderators: Ashari, Haikan

Damon Ryot
Civus

Post by Damon Ryot »

"Friends of the bird?"

So that's why she left. Damon was glad she had. He and Esther would probably be dead by now, fodder for the orcs to chew on.

"Yes, we are friends of hers." He said, finding James' view of her as a 'bird' slanderous. He didn't like this character anyway, where had he been during the whole fight, here popping out of nowhere making assumptions and blabbing all over. Even if he hadn't seen Frank throughout, the amount of blood christening him was enough to tell him he'd been kept busy.

"My name is Damon, as you may have heard these brutes utter here occasionally." He presented a short bow to them all. "And, this is my friend Esther; the lady over there, of course." He gestured towards her general direction where he'd last seen her, looking at each of the men face from face.

"I know we have no time on our hands, but may I quickly inquire as to who you are and why you are here? Just quickly, thank you."
He wasn't suspicious, merely curious, and maybe they could tell him what he'd gotten himself into.

James he'd already marked as a persona not to trust, deciding to ignore as much as he could. On the other hand, he found the other two of noteworthy interest. They'd saved his and Esther's lives after all.

Frank was still the towering half-giant wielding the most unique set of weapons that suited as artillery just as well. An axe with a hammer that were now hanging from his belt. No longer in the heat of battle and bloodlust, he seemed not to have intact any of his people's noted ferocity; or the behaviour that the orcs had. He seemed rather harmless, but he wasn't entirely sure was that due to a notable slow mentality of his people. In the end, however, he knew very little of half-giants in the first place. He immediately felt a twinge of guilt for his early prejudice when he'd first seen him, which may have slightly reflected on his face.

Quinlan, a human topping him by an inch or so, though that may have been akin to the boots he wore. Still, Damon could confidently face him on eyelevel. In him the achadhiel saw a man hardened by battle like his father, and young still, yet he different from his old man; far different. An upright stature, courted by an air nobility in manner and speech alike that was hard to miss. This was a man he found most peculiar.

Pretty good with the sword too. He momentarily wondered how a spar would go between them.

But, those were only fleeting assumptions of character based on physique, standing, and the few minutes of battle they'd endured. Not nearly enough in context to assume, only guess, and see for himself later.

He moved in closer to Esther, seeking the reassurance of her warmth; body and mind, for his soul was yet to attune to hers. He wore a warm smile along with a positive outlook as if nothing had just happened, his sword sheathed for now.
Last edited by Damon Ryot on Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Time fades, even legend...
Frank
Civus

Post by Frank »

Frank pulled the door over his head just in time to see Fancy Man shower Skinny in a rain of his enemy's blood. As soon as James finished his speech, Frank gave him a heinous look. Had he come, Ralph might have survived. He slammed the door that was in his hands on the ground next to the cabin doorway in which it used to stand. With a loud grunt he used it to slowly push all of the corpses out of the way, clearing the path. If and when he successfully cleared the path, he'd turn to look at James, speaking in a low, dark voice, trying his hardest not to throw the bloody, battered door at his face.

"We saved the last one for you, boss. Why don't you take that flail of yours and show us what you can do."

With that, he waved a hand toward into the cabin.

"Lead the way."
Last edited by Frank on Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Quinlan Corodin
Condotierre Lieutenant

Post by Quinlan Corodin »

Quinlan breathed heavily, his blood still up from battle. It was an odd sort of relief to see the last orc on deck fall, but he was not the last orc of all. Glancing over the circumstantial allies, it seemed all were still in relatively good health. The swordsman figured it had been equal parts skill, luck, and magical intervention.

"Yes," he huffed simply as Damon began to speak. He wiped the blade of his sword on the orc's ragged clothing. He nodded in particular respect as Esther was named, though it seemed absurd in his grisly state.

Damon and Esther were a bit of a mystery. The idea of such power as one of them - if not both - had displayed made him begin to feel edgy. But, Damon had fought same as he. Indeed, Damon had apparently drawn first blood of the orcs.

"I am Quinlan Corodin, and that is Frank..." he introduced, realizing he hadn't ever asked the half giant his last name. "We're investigating some recent orc raids of merchant ships. I truly did not expect we would arrive in the midst of one." He shook his head once, looking down at the pile of bodies they had amassed. "That was... an amazing display a moment ago. Are you two part of the crew?"

He did not acknowledge James as the sailor finally climbed on board. It was a little difficult to fault the man for not wanting to join the fray, but it at least begged the question of why he had come in the first place. All the same, Quinlan would somewhat savor Frank's vindication when James began to squirm.

Frowning, Quinlan reached for the miniature cannon the orc had tried to use as a club. Holding it properly in his free hand, he examined it. Was it ready to fire? What are these weapons doing on a ship bound for Roque d'Ancourt? The idea was disconcerting, but not half as much as the thought of orcs stealing a supply and figuring out their use.

"We should not tarry," he soon said. Much as James might have deserved it, the group didn't have time to needle him. "At least one orc remains, the so-called boss. There might be other passengers alive below." Quinlan stepped toward the cabin door, peering down the stairs from a healthy distance. He was willing to proceed first himself. That is, if the famous James was not up to taking point.
Last edited by Quinlan Corodin on Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Haikan
Moderator & Coordinator Mer Cities

Post by Haikan »

"I don't need to show anybody anything. What's important is that we neutralize the danger, that is all." James grunted at Frank. "I suggest you follow close behind, this 'boss' might not be alone, and I can't handle very much more than two orcs at a time, I'm afraid." The pile didn't budge as Frank tried to move it, there was too much there for one person the schlep.

The gun Quinlan found was a genuine World's Mouth condotierre hand-cannon. What the hell it was doing on a merchant vessel was a good question. It was in decent shape and seemed ready enough to be fired, although there was only the single ball in it. The gun would offer one powerful shot and then it would be nothing more than a fancy club.

James turned to walk down the stairs, and Esther walked hesitantly, to see if Damon would go before her. James grabbed Barkul's leg and together he and Frank pulled the morbid pile out of the way, clearing the path for them to go through. "We ain't leavin' him here. Ralph was a good man, and deserves a proper burial." He said these words with an unwavering voice and he led the way down, fueled by his anger over Ralph, and whoever followed would see a dingy hallway illuminated by a dim lamp, hanging from the cieling.

There was only one door and it was at the end of the hallway. From behind the door a loud Bang was heard and it was followed by the thump of what was presumably a body. James turned to motion for everyone to be silent and he cracked the door open to get a peek inside. After five flickers he smashed the door in with his flail. "Everybody not on the crew of this ship get on the ground immediately!" He shouted. "I don't want any trou-" His last word was cut off as he fell backwards to the ground. A dagger was embedded in his shoulder. Being in the hallway the rest of the team couldn't do much to prevent the flying knife, but he managed to mumble. "Get back! Retreat! Now!" Past him was an office with three people sitting at a table, and one standing right in front of the table, about fifteen feet from James.

"Fucking dumbass humans, getting involved in my work. Idiots, all of them!" A medium-ranged voice came from a small figure who was twirling a dagger in his left hand and holding a smoking hand-cannon in his right. "Any other heroes in here?"

He was about five feet tall on the mark, and he wore a red cape and black leather armor. His hair was black and his ears were pointed. His skin was even blacker than his hair, and his eyes were silver and narrow. Behind him sitting at the table there were two other men who looked much like the one holding the knife and gun, and there was a male orc as well, holding a leather bound book.

The one called "Boss" was on the ground directly behind the dark figure, with a massive hole in his chest and blood was leaking everywhere.
Last edited by Haikan on Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Damon Ryot
Civus

Post by Damon Ryot »

Quinlan Corodin and Frank. He repeated a few times in his head, to better conjure them up when needed.

Damon didn't get to answer his questions, however, and neither did he have the opportunity to inquire further than what had been told, when James prompted them to follow him below deck.

Orc raids? I really am stupid, falling into a trap like this. But wait! What happened to those two who hired me? He felt a little ashamed for having been so naive, why he preferred not to voice out his thoughts.

Before following in their wake, he took a quick look at what Quinlan had just been examining a moment ago.
I still don't know what those are. Yet again, he didn't want to ask, not really wanting to show off with his ignorance.
It'll come up eventually. He thought hopefully.

Damon instinctively went before Esther, who was slightly hesitant to go, not that he took any note of it but on a primal level. Below the deck consisted of a lone dirty corridor, illuminated by the singular effort of a ceiling lamp, even it managing but a grimy dim light.

He saw as everybody else most likely did and around the same time that there was a door at the end of the hallway. He didn't get to ask anything, when the discovery was instantly followed by a loud noise he didn't himself distinguish at first. A few flicker's brainstorming, and he soon came to associate it with the odd type of weapons the orcs had wielded.
So, they do shoot out something, loudly even. Marvellous, just marvellous. He wondered how fast the projectiles moved, or worse, how big a hole they might just leave.

He watched silently as James went to the door, first peering inside, he next used his flail to smash open the wooden hindrance. Damon thought his effort heroic in the least, uncalculated and rushed, but still noble enough to redeem him somewhat in his eyes.

He wasn't really shocked to see him fall to the ground, a dagger protruding from his shoulder, issuing words of warning telling them to retreat.
That what you get for rushing. Though stern towards the sailor's provoking approach, he wasn't still about to allow this man to die just like that. Ralph hadn't deserved it and neither did James. As he’d guessed, there was more to this than met the eye.

He heard the voice before seeing the face, which didn't tell him anything significant at all. Neither did the short, dark-skinned, and dark-haired individuals strike a key note with him. Although, he did take note of the pointed ears, and narrow silvery eyes; his mind pestered by newfound suspicion and intrigue as to the situation.
Hmm...

"Esther, stay behind me." He said to her in a low tone, reflexively bringing his left hand to caution her while his body attempted to block her from view.

There was an orc with the trio, holding a leather-bound book with him, but he didn't really care for him that much having seen enough of their ugly faces for one day. It was the one sprawled on the floor caught his eye next. He recognized the big bulk of green putrid flesh, it having issued a death threat to him personally.

The Boss...how ironic. He couldn't help but smirk a little, even amidst the ensuing trouble.
Last edited by Damon Ryot on Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Frank
Civus

Post by Frank »

After they pushed the bodies out of the way, Frank held the bloody door at his side, following close behind James. Rational thought was beginning to re-enter his head as the fray cleared. He walked down the stairs as quietly as he could. I suppose I can't hold it against him, it did happen awful fast. He paid little mind to the two that were unrelated to his party. He could ask questions later, right now they were still in a lot of danger.

As James bashed in the door, Frank was truly impressed by his fortitude. However, his pride in his captain was quickly smitten by a knife in the shoulder.

"Captain!"

James ordered a retreat, but Frank would have no such thing. He took the door in his hands and slammed it down in the place of the one James had bashed in.

"Not without you, James. We're not losing another one!" He looked around the crew. "Esther, is it? Please help my captain back to the stairs. Fancy Man, we've got to brace ourselves, these aren't any pirate pukes we're dealing with now."

He held his weight against the door. In his haste he'd placed it in front of the doorway tilted a little, but that worked in his favor in the effect that it didn't just fall through the doorway. What on earth can I do now? Come on Fancy Man, think of something...
Last edited by Frank on Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quinlan Corodin
Condotierre Lieutenant

Black... dark adhiel? The tale became more tangled with each flicker. And at this rate, there would be none left alive on the ship to begin unraveling it.

The belated courage of James was heartening, and it lasted about as long as James himself. Even so, their luck still held. Better a flesh wound from a dagger than a hand cannon shot in the gut. Frank's quick thinking was commendable, but the door wouldn't repel hand cannons. Are there others in there? That black fellow might be reloading... Once again, quick action seemed to be the only recourse.

"All your thugs are dead!" Quinlan's voice boomed from the hallway. "You may leave here a prisoner." His hand artillery clacked as he drew the hammer back. "Or a corpse!"

Clearing this room... subduing four... no, three. His mind raced. He knew what he would do if he were at the head of a squad of legionnaires. But the half giant, fierce though he was, was a dock worker. Damon was a relative unknown, as was the girl he had in tow. Could he ask the same of them?

"Frank, use your door," he ordered, less loudly. "Shove, smash!" He tapped the huge man's arm, looking for his eyes. "On three." He shook his head frantically. He held his sword up, almost as though he were saluting. Two fingers stuck out from the rest. "Ready!" He turned, showing Damon and Esther the same display, then lowered his sword and prepared to charge.

"One... two..."
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

James was getting to his feet now, behind the cover of the door. His wound was very minor, but he still looked very shaken. He didn't say anything, he just tried to pull the knife out and screamed, deciding it best to leave it in for now. Esther walked up to Frank and held her hand to the door he used. She looked him in the eyes and nodded, seemingly with no fear behind her large blue orbs. The door began to feel warm and Frank could feel added pressure holding it up against the frame of the other door, even though she was barely touching it. "Do what you must, but this door might actually hold."
Frank
Civus

Post by Frank »

Frank's fingers were itching. His instincts were screaming: Bash in the door, throw it at them, they'll never expect it! His overestimation of their status in the situation was obvious, even to him. His only confidence in the idea came from Fancy Man, whom he trusted to think straight. I don't know what's in his hand, but he's holding it with purpose. It must be some sort of magical artifact capable of helping us!

When Fancy Man began counting, Frank braced himself to smash in the door. However, when Girlie Thing walked up to the door, his confidence snuffed. As soon as the warmth came over him and the door was reinforced, his muscles relaxed. I can't just do nothing! He took a quick glance around, still holding his weight against the door.

"Captain, I'd move to the stairs if I were you, things might get messy here." He looked at Fancy longingly for an answer, clueless as to what to do. "I don't want to get us killed, what should we do?"

Frank clenched his teeth and wound his leather wrist-wraps (see avatar) around his right palm, lacing between the fingers - and somehow by wrapping his hand he bound the desire to bust in the room. Do it! For the first time in the night, Frank said no to the voice in his head. He looked back at Fancy Man.

"Corodin... On your command."
Last edited by Frank on Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Damon Ryot
Civus

Post by Damon Ryot »

Dark-skinned adhiel. Damon thought, puzzled by his realisation.
That was what they clearly were, there was no mistaking even from the mere glimpse he'd gotten before Frank sealed the entrance; haphazardly though.

Strange, he had never heard of such people before. But, the pointed ears and slits of eyes could not be mistaken for anything else.
Especially not orcs.

Quinlan took charge; it was only natural as he seemed to command a powerful presence about him, and surely had much more experience with things like these by the looks of it. He emanated a boost of morale and confidence in the others with his unwavering tone, alongside the imperative self-composure.

The achadhiel nodded his head sternly, his hand ready to draw his sword at a flicker's notice, while his left was free and mobile; on purpose.

"One... two..."

Quinlan counted in a low voice for them. He already felt the rush of invigoration as his every muscle tensed; mind cleared of all meagre thoughts, and he assimilated himself into the moment.

What's she doing? He asked himself, when Esther walked up to Frank, and seemed to do something with the door by lightly touching it.

Damon wasn't sure how this was to affect the situation since he wasn’t exactly sure what she’d done, even as he felt the spirits’ presence, and the flow of energy from her into the door. Nevertheless, his body and mind were ready whenever; for whatever, be they his dark clad cousins or twisted orc hybrids.
Quite good-looking orcs they'd be.

"Corodin... On your command."

Said the lumbering half-giant Frank and he couldn't but quite agree that they were all ready.

"As you command, sir." He asserted to Quinlan.

He gestured for Esther to move out of the way, as his hand felt the hilt of his blade; a reassurance that he was going to make it no matter what was pitted against them. With such fine gentlemen alongside him, why wouldn't he?

They've come in all shapes and sizes today. He humoured himself.

Although, there was still a twinge of worry at the back of his mind, where he asked himself if those black skinned persons were really adhiel, and would it be right to just cut them down like they'd done to the orcs.

Without remorse. His subconscious told him, casting a shadow of doubt on his already troubled mind.
Last edited by Damon Ryot on Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Quinlan Corodin
Condotierre Lieutenant

Two came and went, and apparently noone had got the hint. But in the moment, Quinlan could think of no other way to try to communicate his intentions. His lips pulled tight over his teeth in frustration, and he drew breath to give the "three" everyone was waiting for - possibly including the enemies on the other side.

But maybe it was just as well. Esther stepped forth and touched the door. There was no sign that anything had happened, but he remembered the appearance of powerful magic on deck, and Esther was either the source or she was somewhat insane.

"Wait, hold fast," he uttered. "Miss Esther," he began. Even crisis did not always suspend habitual manners. "What happened on deck, the willed wind, could you do something like that again? It would cerainly be useful here."

Rushing an entrenched position was a tactical dilemma, whether with three men or three hundred men. All the better if they could come up with a proverbial ace in the hole. Quinlan moved up against the wall of the hallway to give room both for James' retreat and magical handiwork.

"This raid is over!" he shouted again to the dark criminals. "You will not profit from it. Surrender yourselves, or wager your very lives!" Quinlan didn't know whether he expected or hoped that they would resist to the death, as the others had. But it seemed right to give fair warning, or perhaps make them waste time on insults, at least.
Last edited by Quinlan Corodin on Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

"Like this?" She cocked her head at him innocently and held her hands forward. Muttering in what sounded like adhiel -though Damon heard it as gibberish just like the others- she closed her eyes and kept her hands pressed on the door. After ten flickers of a stressful nothing, with the wonder of what was going on beyond the door and the quiet wondering of what fate awaited this motley crew, she began to glow like she had at the beach. Slowly, her feet lifted up off the ground and she continued to mutter until the door blasted in with the torrent of rushing air that ensued. The door was flying inward, but it split into five pieces as the gunwielding dark adhiel was spinning in a circle, apparently finishing a circular kick of some sort. The wind knocked over the table, and everyone was pinned against the back wall except for the standing adhiel.

"Bitch! You fucked up!" He barked at her over the rushing sound of wind, and his cloak billowed while he jumped forward at her as quick as the wind and he spun 360 degrees, whipping his heel up over his head and across her face, causing her to smack instantly to the ground, with a faint shot of blood from her mouth spattering onto the doorframe beside her. As insanely fast as he'd lunged forward, he did two quick handsprings backwards, while holding onto his weapons still, and stood exactly where he had been before the doorburst as the wind slowed and stopped.

With Esther's wind dissipating almost as soon as it'd started, the dark adhiel's comrades began to regain their senses and he muttered. "Pathetic fools, what the hell does Faye see in you?" It was clearly directed at the blindsided few who were behind him. With a sneer, he turned back to look Quinlan in the eyes.

"You were messing with fate when you decided to fight me. Kid, you just might have cut your life short. I'd tell you just what you're in for, but I fucking can't stand talking to you graceful, noble, elegant races for too long without having the uncontrollable urge to bow." With that he gave an extravagant bow and stepped back over the upside down table, now standing behind it, with no obstacles between him and them aside from four widely spread table-legs.
Last edited by Haikan on Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Damon Ryot
Civus

Post by Damon Ryot »

Damon watched as Esther prepared for the spell, the energy of the spirits coursing within her, while her lips spoke akin to his mother tongue yet it was still illegible to him all the same. The glow of her body was as fantastic to watch as the first time, hovering inches above the ground; he could not but again respect the power the spirits lent to people such as her.
And myself now, I guess.

The door Frank had placed in the doorway shot inside the room by the strong currents she'd generated and he expected to see the trio soon flattened against the far wall. The achadhiel couldn't have been more shocked when he witnessed the door fracture entirely, accomplished by the dark adhiel's powerful kick. He was in awe.

The wind, however, managed to pin the people inside against the far wall, except the one who'd just broken the door.

"Bitch! You fucked up!"

It was all he could discern from his surroundings amidst the gusts of wind at first. The speed, it was meta-human in the least, as must have been his strength just as prodigious. The dark adhiel moved through the wind quickly, and in mere flickers all he saw from the procession was Esther sprawled on the floor with the dark-clad gentlemen back in the small room.

The winds dissipated, as their creator lay possibly unconscious on the floor. Blood trickled from the corner of her mouth, some had sprayed onto the doorframe, and he naturally thought of the worst first.
"Esther!" He shouted, as realisation dawned on him.

Damon lost sight of the criminals in the room; he could care less for James; or even acknowledge the presence of Quinlan and the half-giant Frank for that matter. His will to fight had been drained of him completely; all he cared for in that precise moment was her.

He rushed to her, falling on his knees beside her body. He saw that she was still conscious, though barely. One of his hands gently was placed under her head, as he carefully tilted her body just slightly, thereby bringing it closer to him. Not a single emotion was revealed in his glazed expression, for its entirety was contained within his warm brown eyes that were near to tears as he looked into hers. Any less a man and he would have cried.

"Esther. Are you alright?" He said, in his distress he automatically spoke in his mother tongue. He was immersed in a world where there were only two now; him and her, the looming danger and the others were forgotten, as they were not a part of it.

Whether she answered or not, he continued to speak to her in a low voice, which would be audible from close enough or upon grave silence; all the while speaking in adhiel.

"Esther, I'm truly sorry. I know it's my fault; all of it is my fault. I shouldn't have shouted at you by the lake, mocked you and your friends; I shouldn't have helped the orcs. I shouldn't have done this, and neither should I have done that; seems like I will keep on making mistakes till my dying days."

Tenderly, he brushed the locks of hair off her face, and then he proceeded to clean the oozing blood off of her mouth. Her body trembled; it was like a quake coursing through her, which made her all the more miserable to behold as he did.

She was alive, he thanked all powers of the wide world for that, even old man Dominicus, but he was no healer in the end. Who knew how bad the damage was after all? Ah, who could even try fathoming the pain she felt now? If he only could do something to ease the pain, lessen her worry, and let her know it would be fine. It would all be just fine; no need to cry my dear, for the pain would subside. But, how could he? He had not the power or authority to do so, only to watch her wallow in between spheres, clinging to what she could. He felt just as miserable, haps even more so, in his inability to do anything but for the broken man to merely stand by her.

"You are beautiful." He said, stroking her cheek lightly. "Truly, you are more than beautiful. I won't be lying if I say you are the most beautiful thing I've ever seen in my life. Not only that, but you are kind-hearted, intelligent, celestial; and so much more. So much more I could be; should be, and yet..."

He buried his head deep in her bosom, hiding himself from the world and its misery; if just for a moment. Just for a moment to lament its unfairness and wonder as so many others do.

Why?

"Fear not." He whispered softly. "Death dare not come, as long as I am here with you, I assure you."
Last edited by Damon Ryot on Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Frank
Civus

Post by Frank »

Frank watched in awe as the door his hands were so strongly holding blew away. Because all of his weight was on it, Frank fell forward right through the door as it smashed, getting a face full of deck wood, and feeling a strong wind rush over him. He put an arm on the deck to ground himself and looked up, only to see the dark adhiel easily defending himself from the gust. He delivered a harsh blow to the girl, and then moved back again, proving his agility was none that any in the crew could contest. To make matters worse, the half elf began falling to pieces directly after. Great now it's only Fancy and I? That won't do. Frank began rising to his feet and spoke out boldly.

"Now wait just a minute!" His hand rose valiantly, and fell harshly across the face of the achadhiel. "If you want to join her, keep blubbering that nonsense. If you want to live, stop being such a wuss!" He then whispered softly: "If you want HER to live, you'd better get her out of this room right now!"

He picked up a piece of the original door that James had smashed in and held it by the knob like a decrepit ugly shield. Whatever hardships await us, I will endoor them for my comrades! Frank wanted to slap himself that time, for making such an awful pun, even in his head. With the worthless shield in hand, he took one stride in front of the two children of Mother, making himself a large, frightening, and hopefully overestimated obstacle protecting them. Frank had no idea what to do.

"Quinlan, still on your command."
Last edited by Frank on Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quinlan Corodin
Condotierre Lieutenant

Quinlan's breath caught in his throat as the amazing happened. Another blast of wind, sending the door blowing inward and knocking most inside - and one outside - off their feet. At least as amazing was the leader's ability to power his way through it. In a flash, the wind was gone and Esther was out.

Damon could not have reacted worse if he had been kicked in the head himself. It was a discouraging display. Quinlan was angered by such a vicious blow scored against the girl, but the fight had to end before care could be given. And fight they would. Quinlan hoped it would not be long before the adhiel recovered from the shock of seeing the fair Esther struck.

"Go! Crush them," he exhorted Frank. "Lackeys first." Quinlan hoped for another ferocious display from the big man to take the stunned cohorts out of the fight. The sooner they were, the sooner efforts could be concentrated on the leader, where they would likely be needed most.

It was he who Quinlan engaged. Much as the swordsman wanted to charge forth and cut the caped fiend to ribbons, his shocking display of ability made it impossible to underestimate him. Quinlan had greater reach and a longer weapon, but the speed and evident power of the dark adhiel was frightening. Quinlan felt a weight begin to press on him, the feeling that his mettle was about to be tested.

Quinlan assumed a more classic fighting stance, heels in line, back foot turned out, calling on all his skill he had so far gained. Entering the room, small, quick steps moved him closer. He veered to his left as he could, off to the side of the table legs. If the man could shatter a door with a kick, a simple table could soon be a perilous thing.

"Let us meet fate, then," he confidently challenged, testing and threatening with swordpoint. The blade swirled in tight circles, like the hunting dance of a natural predator. In his off hand he still gripped the hand cannon, finger resting anxiously against the trigger guard. He felt he would soon need that wildcard, but the right moment had to come.
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

As The entire team abandoned the hallway, the noble dark adhiel did as he had entirely planned. "Fuck you, human." And he scooped his foot under the table and lifted it swiftly, pushing it up onto it's side as a wall between himself and Quinlan. Immediately he jumped to the side of the room and kicked against the wall, causing him to leap past Frank and slide as he landed on the other side of Damon. His light body and incredibly strong legs were the source of his frightful dexterity, and he stopped his slide next to James, who slammed against the wall in fear. I ain't fuckin around with this elf! "I don't have time for you goons, my sister is waiting," Logan said and he began to walk backwards up the stairs.

"Kill them all."

He then turned and darted up the stairs, moving much faster than a normal person would run. At that the two other dark adhiels unsheathed their rapiers and aimed them at Quinlan and Frank. "Master Darkrise has ordered it, so it shall be done. Grubb! Take care of the blubbering idiot!" The orc who was among them picked up a warhammer that was on the ground next to him.

"Sure thing, hope I don't break him too soon, Grubb needs some play time." He cracked his neck with a thunder and began to walk along the side of the room towards Esther and Damon.

Esther blinked at Damon, her eyes looked scared, and she was trembling with fear. She wasn't actually hurt that bad, but fear was gripping her and slowing her speech a good deal. She spoke with a beautiful dialect of the adhiel tongue, and she stroked Damon's face with her left palm. Her cracked jawbone was healing as she talked, but nothing was visible to Damon, other than her glowing skin and her warm flesh. "Damon... That dark adhiel man... His name is Logan Darkrise. He's ended... So many lives." And she blinked again, slowly, the fear intensifying as she spoke. "Damon, don't be killed by that man, please."
Frank
Civus

Post by Frank »

Frank was tempted to chase the dark elf, but since he hadn't killed any of their men he owed him no special vengeance, allowing him to think clearly enough to keep focused on the orcs. He stepped around searching with his feet for loose floorboards, while his eyes were still locked on his enemies. He paced like this for a few flickers while he waited for Damon to recompose himself. When that didn't happen, he had to keep the mob from rending them.

"You wanna play, Grubb? How about this?" I hope I can hold them off... He took out his juggling balls and started tossing them one over another slowly. "Keep your eye on the ball, don't want it to land between your eyes!"

After he tossed each ball three times, he threw two of them two either side of him and tossed the third one really high. Then he lowered his hand for the catch and rebound of the ball on his right, but instead of catching the ball and tossing it again, he moved his hand with the same motion a few inches to the left, grabbing a hammer and pulling it over his head to swing at the one that was above him, toward the orc. Almost certain it wasn't going to hit anyone yet hoping that he bought enough time for Skinny, he lept back and pulled out one of his axes. He'd put these weapons in either hand several times during the night, but for the first time had every intention of using them.

Hurry up Skinny! Get my back Fancy!
Last edited by Frank on Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quinlan Corodin
Condotierre Lieutenant

"Cowardly wretch!" Quinlan barked.

They had a chance to snatch who seemed to be a boss, but just like that he was gone. Off to warn the rest of his troupe, off to form new plans. Quinlan began to seethe as the possible consequences came to him in a rush. The game was about to become much more difficult, and they would all have to start looking over their shoulders. Starting that instant, of course.

"You'll just have to take your thrashing, and his too." His sword whiffed in the air as he leveled it at the nearer of the dark adhiel.

His feet shuffled as he closed the distance, and he began to test the rapier-fighter's defenses. How jumpy was he? How stiff was his sword hand? A quick rap of blade against blade might tell. I will get through. You will show me where. His eyes flashed determination. Then you will help me form a new plan.
Last edited by Quinlan Corodin on Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

Clang! The dark adhiel in front of Quinlan immediately rose his blade to meet his opponent's, as he whiffed it down toward him. As soon as he did this the adhiel reached up and grabbed the human's arm with a tight grip. "Don't think I'll go down easy," he said, and he spit on Quinlan's shirt, jumping backwards a good six feet before the human could wriggle his arm free and cut him.

The other dark adhiel ran towards Frank, who failed to distract the orc. He closed the distance between himself and the half-giant steadily, but seemingly unintimidated by his size. The ball whizzed over the dark adhiel's head as he ducked to dodge. It ended up smacking Quinlan in the lower back, but it didn't knock him off balance, it merely bounced off harmlessly, as it hadn't been launched very fast.

"Are you even going to fight?" The dark elf taunted Frank, and he pulled his sword up close alongside his head, holding it with both hands and preparing for his assault.

The orc ran alongside the wall and brought his hammer down right on top of Damon's head. Smack! "Now you, I'll wrestle with." The voice that belonged to the hand in which the hammer's face now rested was calm, and raspy. The flesh the hammer hit was James' palm, and his hand was holding the massive weapon over Damon's head as a barrier. He had stopped the attack with his hand.

"And don't mark me off as a coward, that man has killed hundreds, you can see it in his eye. There ain't no good that'd come from fighting him in these conditions." As he spoke to Quinlan and Frank, he maintained his grip on the orc's hammer -who was trying to pull it free from his grasp- and he pulled back his fist, launching it toward the orcs face with a brutal punch that shattered his nose.

"Now that wasn't even any fun. You gotta do better then that, lads," James said and he eyed the dark adhiels that were fighting as the orc dropped his hammer and clutched his face screaming.

"You son of a bitch, I'll kill you!"

"Sure ya will." And another stream of bubbles floated triumphantly from James' pipe.
Last edited by Haikan on Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
Damon Ryot
Civus

Post by Damon Ryot »

All this while Damon had been oblivious to his surroundings. He didn't see when the dark adhiel made the amazing escape; didn't look or hear anything from the ensued battle between his comrades and the dark adhiel. Even the smack Frank had dealt him across the face did little; his body was no longer a part of him, but merely a vessel to house his agonised fragments of a soul.

What he could still see was merely Esther, torn within the tides of her pain, caused by the dark adhiel named Logan Darkrise.
"Worry not, Esther." He spoke to her softly, his grief expressed in the melodious syllables of his mother tongue. "I will not let him harm you, I won't let anybody harm; never again."

He brushed her hair off the oval face once again, and time seemed to stretch to infinity, as he beheld the most beautifully crafted creature in the entire world.
"Just rest, it'll all be over in a minute." He told her, as his arms gently lay her to the floor.
Then to himself, and his subconscious he said.
I will tear the very foundations of his body, mind and soul to pieces that will never again find solace anywhere. His salvation will be with the demons.

Just as his fury was reaching to vent on the surface, as he returned from the phantasm of cosmos, there was an odd sense of danger in his head. The alarm rang in his head like the bells of Dominicus, tingled every inch of his body, and coursed adrenaline throughout his entire body. However, he was too late, the orc had already launched his fatal attack, and in the next flicker he'd be dead.

Smack!

The strike never came. The achadhiel quickly got up from under the suspended hammer, seeing it had been the seaman James who'd saved him, blocking the blow with his bare hand. He was both in gratitude, and in awe, few men could pull out such a stunt. It was almost as amazing as the preternatural speed of the dark adhiel boss.

James made quick work of the orc, punching him square in the face, breaking its nose and causing it to drop the hammer onto floor as it cursed at him in pain.

Saved by the sailor, he now had the time to glance around what had actually been taking place the whole time while he'd been so far away. Besides the orc, he saw two of the other dark adhiel, both fighting Frank and Quinlan respectively. He felt ashamed immediately, for breaking down like that in the face of danger, and wished to make amends immediately.

His right hand cherished his father's blade, as he drew it out of its scabbard; gleaming with an odd fervent light in the dim lighting down here. His emotions, whether that of shame, guilt or sadness gave away to rage; pure uncontrollable anger that fuelled his very being. It coursed through all the three loci that permitted his existence that made him Damon Ryot.

"Logan Darkrise!" His voice was nearly guttural as he shouted; expressing every bit of the animal that now possessed him almost to the point of its unintelligence. "Where are you?"

The sword was brandished tightly in his grip, as his eyes sought the nearest target about to answer for its injustice to his flaming fury. Almost subconsciously, he made the necessary prayer to the spirits, asking for them to radiate his wrath as intense vengeance soon to be taken on all his enemies. His left hand intuitively tightened to a tight fist, than opened up to reveal his palm once more.

Damon didn't even consider, the beast merely moved of its own volition, guided by pure instinct. The sword in his hand moved towards the orc, his body and strength put behind the stab he made, aimed towards the orc's belly in order to disembowel the putrid green abomination. It deserved nothing less, and what he wanted to do to the dark adhiel, it had no possible depiction.
Last edited by Damon Ryot on Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:43 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Frank
Civus

Post by Frank »

Cinnamon! What am I supposed to do now? I'm not trained to fight, I'm just a dock worker! I can't match a soldier's prowess! It looks like James is coming through for us, and at least Fancy looks strong enough. I guess there's only one answer: I have to smash this thing.

Frank managed to find a loose floorboard while he was walking around, but he was in no place to be pulling any more tricks. He didn't have the same cold blooded killing mindset that he had on the deck above - this creature was not responsible for killing anyone he knew and therefore he had to generate his own fighting motivation. For this reason he had to think for himself. After exiting his rage, his abilities to destroy his enemy were slighted, and his failure with his little stunt discouraged him. He had to take this seriously.

Here goes nothing...

Frank raised his left foot and crossed his arms with the weapons in hand, and then stomped on the ground, thrusting his weight forward and swiping the hammer and the axe outwardly as fast as he could, hoping to rend the wary creature with his wide arm-reach. He was definitely not as nimble as this creature, but he may as well be wielding two bastard swords with his long arms. The only problem was that a part of those "bastard swords" was vulnerable flesh with only leather straps protecting it. His slower reaction time could hopefully be compensated by the fact that the elf would have to move his weapon considerably farther to reach Frank's vitals, giving him more time to react and hopefully evening the playing field.

He placed the majority of his weight on his left foot, therefore giving it the strength needed to recoil backward while still giving him the balance to follow with a kick should his enemy fail to parry. If his enemy stayed close enough for an immediate counterattack, they would have stayed close enough to get ripped in half. His arms swept slightly downward so as not to allow a ducking dodge, and his sweep reached 180 degrees, making a sidestep nearly impossible due to his nearly eight feet of armspan.
Last edited by Frank on Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Quinlan Corodin
Condotierre Lieutenant

"Nothing I ever do is easy," Quinlan rasped back at his opponent.

Damon cried out. He had rejoined the fight. Quinlan's confidence rose. The remaining enemies were outnumbered, and, as far as he was concerned, outmatched. He felt electricity in his limbs. The dark adhiel seemed to enjoy jumping about. Quinlan knew one way to deal with that. His long gait closed the six or so feet in no time, and he pressed the attack.

His breath slipped sharply through his teeth with each jab and thrust. Under, over, left, ri- no, left again. Each movement of the long blade threatened a cut, and dared his opponent to counter, to overextend and be forced to work even harder to deflect the next strike.

Though he did not intend the dark adhiel to realize it, he kept effort in reserve, for the idea was not to overwhelm the enemy's defense, but wait for a hole within it. He still had to guard himself, and to be ready when that hole appeared. He was fast, but the adhiel could be every bit as quick or more.

But Quinlan knew something faster still than his sword hand. In some corner of his mind, he hoped that one of the others could somehow subdue an enemy alive. The fibers of his own being clamored for blood.

A straight thrust to the middle, to provoke a parry from the dark adhiel. The sound of blade against blade would be the sign, the signal to twist the wrist. Quinlan sought to scissor the blades together, hilt set to basket, until fingerspans separated their faces.

Then, he could play his card.
Last edited by Quinlan Corodin on Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

As Damon charged madly at the orc, his green face lit up and his eyes widened at the sight of the approaching blade. Clumsily, he jumped to Damon's right, recieving a shallow slice to his left side, and as a follow-through of his dodge, he then spun in a circle, countering by bringing the backside of his right hand around to strike against Damon's upper back with considerable impact. Damon would be knocked forward, but with some concentration he could steady himself for another attack.

Another fist bludgeoned across the orc's face as James took him by surprise with a second attack. The orc forcibly turned his head and spittle shot out from the quick blow James added. "Yer quicker than them other orcs. Guess that's why yer still around... Well for now anyways." Righteous bubbles floated out of his pipe now, and he was beginning to fill the room with his triumphant soapy hollow-spheres as he and Damon worked together to bring down this behemoth of an orc.

---

Clang! Crash! Shhink! Clang! Swish!... The furious battle raged on as Quinlan and the dark elf matched each-other seemingly with the defensive card in the adhiel's favor. With each swipe of his sword that Quinlan offered, the elf either blocked it, knocked it off course, slid it away from his body, or dodged it with inhuman grace. At one point when he was starting to become cornered, he jumped away from an attack and for an instant planted his feet on the wall, performing a flip over Quinlan's head while still blocking his sword somewhat well. While he was landing on his fists and entering into a somersault however, Corodin was able to cut his right calf, which caused him to scream. His acrobatics were likely to be compromised. Immediately the elf jumped to his feet and winced from the pain in his calf, and he continued to fight, now less defensive and more on the attack. After another burn, they locked baskets of their swords and the dark adhiel took the opportunity for a taunt.

"Don't think you brats are leaving here alive."

----

Frank's endeavor paid off somewhat, for as the dark adhiel was jumping backwards, dodging his attack, his rapier was knocked clean out of his hands by the hammer he was swinging in his hand. The axe locked it into place for a moment between the two weapons, but during his follow through with ogresque brute strength, it fell to the ground, bent. Immediately the dark elf pulled out two knives in one hand and one in the other, and he hissed. "You wretch!"

With that, he launched one of his knives at Frank. The handle grazed right past his ear and the blade cut his massive shoulder. It was shallow, but it was going to sting. After his throw, the elf donned a nervous fighting position, holding one knife in each hand, and he was ready to attempt a leap out of the way of this giant's next attack.
Frank
Civus

Post by Frank »

"Ergh!" Frank made a barbaric groan as the laceration registered in his mind. He'd destroyed the weapon, but now his enemy chose an even faster attack strategy, though one with less reach. I can use that! Now's the time for tricks, I can learn to fight later, for now I have to bring this guy down alive! An axe will cut his throat and a hammer will smash his skull - but I know a better way! Seeing Quinlan fight, it seemed his encounter was unlikely to have a gentle end, and Damon coupled with James were not leaving that Orc alive. It was time for Frank to put himself into some real danger.

Frank somersaulted backward and threw his axe and his hammer at the dark elf in one united action. As his overhand throw finished its follow through he moved both hands in their course downward onto the deck, slipping a hand under the loose floorboard he'd found earlier, and ripping it up from the deck. Should it remain intact (or at least provide more than two feet if it breaks) he would rise to his feet and lunge at his enemy. Swinging it with his massive hands around it like a bat he shouted "I'm getting very board of your resistance!"

With his leather wraps still around his right hand, he prepared for the next action. If he hit or missed with the board, he'd let it fall to the ground and pull his left hand back, attempting to land a strike on the draw back. With his right hand he rocketed toward the elf with a hook, preparing to grab a weapon with his leather-wrapped hand. He braced himself for the pain that he was promising himself. His killing upstairs was for Ralph. This risk of his life was for Navirez.

If I stay alive, I hope this is enough to solve your case... I'll make you proud!
Last edited by Frank on Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
Quinlan Corodin
Condotierre Lieutenant

Fighting the dark adhiel was a thrill. He was the antithesis of the orcs, unbelievably agile, as his master had shown to be. His acrobatics were envious, but Quinlan was rewarded by a scream of pain as he sliced into the muscle of the leaper's leg. He could feel the crescendo, a wave of battle crashing on the boards of the merchant ship.

The two locked swords, and Quinlan locked eyes. Unblinking, he leaned into his opponent, separated from him only by a thin layer of lethal steel. He wasted no breath on a retort. The enemy took his verbal shot as Quinlan readied to take a real one. His off hand came to his hip, the muzzle of his hand cannon no farther from the adhiel's belly than the space between their faces, and his finger slipped into the guard.

It was only the smallest movement to pull a trigger. The great reaction from the tiny artillery was almost absurd in contrast. The hammer clicked down. Eye to eye with the dark marauder, Quinlan expected to send a thunderclap of powder and metal into his gut.
Last edited by Quinlan Corodin on Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Roque d'Ancourt”