Meeting Bishop Lazos (Basilica Inner Chambers) Jy 30th ET

Moderators: Maeve, Mods

Ashari
Moderator & Coordinator Mer Cities

Meeting Bishop Lazos (Basilica Inner Chambers) Jy 30th ET

Post by Ashari »

OOC: This is a private thread for Anistis and Tyrone. Any other players will need a damn fine reason for being here! You may talk "in transit" while walking down the hallway for as long as you like, when you need Marcus let me know!

The hallway leading to the Bishop's private chambers was decorated with the oppulence that proved his position, power and wealth. The floor was swathed in russet, gold, crimson, dark green and sage carpets of varying design which ran the length of each, though not entirely across. It meant one could also see the World's Mouth marble that lined the floor beneath the coverings. Paintings that depicted the work of Dominicus hung from the wall interspersed with grand windows that let in enormous amounts of light during the daytime marks.

Outside the door to the Bishop's chamber were two gentlemen dressed in the clothing of the Paladins of the One. They watched the approaching men as necessary, but also the area across from them where there was a small couch where Father Marcus sat waiting and praying.
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]
Tyrone
The Jackal

Post by Tyrone »

...With silent steps, the Jackal moved, his head bowed low and his dark achadhiel face hidden in shadows inside those cowled hood he wore. Like a gray ghost he swept through the hallways, remembering the path he had taken those three months ago when he had an audience with the Holy Bishop Lazos. It felt like another lifetime, the young achadhiel thought, his eyes looking around him and seeing the changes that had happened, not only to the Basilica, but to the actual Church of Dominicus.

He knew Brother Anistis was following him, or beside him, it did not matter, he was the only person he knew that was still connected to his past, to the time when he had a purpose. But...

"Why?" Tyrone asked after a burn or so of silence,his voice so low it was almost a whisper. "I just barely arrived, Brother Anistis and you're leaving?" He continually kept on walking and with a minute gesture, the acolyte monk of the Purificatio turned to look at Anistis, his dark achadhiel face filled with profound apprehension, like a lost, innocent child clutching to the last remnant of his purpose.
Last edited by Tyrone on Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[size=75]Avatar from:[url=http://artofphilwohr.blogspot.com/2007/08/redmist-castle-work.html]Phil Wohr[/url]
[hr][/hr]
[i][b]"Hate thy neighbours for they hate you even more."[/i][/b]
[hr][/hr]
Posting: Once/week[/size]
Anistis
The Tender

Post by Anistis »

Anistis had never been to this part of the Basilica before, and was completely taken by the beauty of this place. Everything here seemed to proclaim the glory of the One God- as well as the power that he had vested the Bishop Lazos with.

When Tryone spoke up, he locked eyes with him, and his were filled with compassion and a pang of guilt.

"Brother Tyrone... I wasn't sure when you'd be coming back, or even if you would. This expedition will be, I hope, an opportunity to search for the missing pages of the Metagorian Codex, as well as a chance to further investigate the influence of the cult that you and I hope to fight against. I'm hoping that the Bishop will be able to offer me further guidance on this issue.

"Having you along on our journey, Brother, would be an asset. As I said before, you're welcome to come. Pray about it, Brother, and do what you feel the One is guiding you to do."
Tyrone
The Jackal

Post by Tyrone »

Under the shadows of his hood, he gave Anistis a perplexed look and paused in mid-step, fully turning to the brown-haired acolyte and the light of understanding suddenly dawned upon him. "This Metagorian Codex that you speak of, is this the Codex which the Apostate Bishop Jaxomen..." He trailed off, the hairs on his skin suddenly standing as he felt goosebumps creeping all over his dark skin. "It does exist? What of the Keeper?" Full of nervous enthusiasm, Tyrone wasn't able to keep his voice low and when he heard his own voice echoing along the hallways of the Basilica, his eyes widened, suddenly realizing what he had done. With a low gasp, he stepped a bit closer, but not too close as to crowd the young acolyte.

"What of the Codex and its Keeper, Brother Anistis?" He asked once more, his voice low, his dark achadhiel face eager to hear the happy informatio. "What does it say? Missing pages? And this expedition you are going, this is for the Codex too?" He then stopped and a wave of guilt came over him, washing over his fanatic eyes. "Forgive me, brother. I should have been here to help you. I was..." His eyes suddenly turned distant. "Caught up somewhere else."

"It must have been very dangerous for you looking for the Cult alone!" He continued with a frown, guilt eating him away for leaving Anistis alone to face the danger when the mission was specifically give to him by Dominicus. "There is no need for me to pray, Brother. I have decided. I was given this mission in order to root out this cult that fester within our Holy Mother Church. It had been remiss of me to throw it in your lap and leaving you alone to deal with the dangers."

Taking a deep breath, he stood up and assumed the mantel of the Jackal, his dark achadhiel face filled with fanatic zeal. "I have sworn an oath to Dominicus and to the Apostate Bishop Jaxoman that I shall stamp down this cult that is tainting the Church of Dominicus. For the scripture says, '*--Will the Jackal hunt at the One's command? From his cave he seeks his prey, and he smells the wicked from afar off. Wheresoever the wicked shall be, he is immediately there.--' I may not have the skill in reading the Codex, Brother Anistis, but with Dominicus as my shield, I swore, no harm shall come to you as long as I live."

"I shall go with your expedition, brother and be your protector."
[hr][/hr]
ooc: Copied loosely from the Book of Job: Chapter 29 Verse 27 "Doth the eagle mount up at thy command, and make her nest on high? She dwelleth and abideth on the rock, upon the crag of the rock, and the strong place. From thence she seeketh the prey, and her eyes behold afar off. Her young ones also suck up blood: and where the slain are, there is she."
Last edited by Tyrone on Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anistis
The Tender

Post by Anistis »

Anistis cast a glance down the hallway toward the paladins and Father Marcus while Tyrone was speaking, mildly concerned that they would wonder why they had stopped. No matter, though; the Bishop would be receiving all of this information soon enough.

"Thank you, Brother," Anistis replied when Tyrone was finished, his voice and face filled with gratitude. Tyrone's offer to accompany him simply in order to protect him was moving to Anistis, almost to the point of tears. "You have no need to ask forgiveness of me, although you have it if you feel it necessary. You are a good friend, Tyrone," he said, deliberately dropping the title to imply the informal comraderie of friends. "and you are strong in the love and compassion of the One God.

"As to your questions," Anistis continued, lowering his voice, "The Keeper of the Codex is one Lady Debrona, a noblewoman of King's Court. She officially enlisted me, as well as two others- Azure Stonehand, who you just met, and Matiel Escariot, a member of our trading company- to search for the missing pages, telling us that they would likely be scattered throughout the Kingdom. Now, the expedition that leaves tomorrow is for the purpose of trade, not a deliberate search for the Codex, but I'm hoping to use the opportunity to search for it as well. Also, this might be a chance to attempt to uncover the cult in other areas of the kingdom where it may be more prevalent."

He shot another look down the hallway. He didn't want to keep the bishop waiting, but curiosity and concern for his friend won the day.

"Brother Tyrone, over the past three months, I'd assumed, at best, that the Purificatio had called you back to them, forseeing the schism; on many occassions, however, I feared the worst. If you don't mind my asking before we go to speak with the bishop, Brother, what did happen to you?"
Tyrone
The Jackal

Post by Tyrone »

Inwardly, he winced, uncomfortable with the praise that was given to him by Anistis. He had never been admired before, such laudation, to his opinion, was only for the Only One God, Dominicus. "No, brother," the Jackal replied with alarming protest. "I am not worthy to receive such praise. I am but a lowly servant of the Lord, but I am grateful that you have absolved me of my iniquities, many they are, I deliver them wholeheartedly to the Lord for my redemption and every flicker of the moment, I repent."

"A woman?!" Tyrone was mighty surprised, stunned that the Codex they had been seeking was being kept by a woman, an inferior and weak creature and not only a mere woman, but of the nobility as well, which, he figured where sinners to the core. Dominicus surely works in mysterious ways, His Will is unfathomable to man. Was is not through Sister Caranosa, a nun he had met three months ago, who had helped them start this divine quest? He could only pray and hope that this noble woman was as pious as the Sister of the Convent of Santa Alaralius and that Dominicus had shown her the error of her ways as a mere woman.

"Trading company?" He asked with a deep frown, slightly perturbed with he was hearing from the acolyte of the Basilican Church. "Merchants? Trade? Brother, we are servants of the Lord!" The Jackal chided Anistis, "We have no reason to associate with them!" But he couldn't really blame the younger acolyte. He did leave him alone to bear all the responsibilities that was supposed to be given to him.

"Are they people of Dominican beli...?" The dark achadhiel inquired but paused with a sigh. Perhaps he should just trust Anistis and have faith that the younger acolyte was guided by the hands of Dominicus just as he was guided by the Holy Ghost of the One as was told to him by the abbots of his order in the Prodessean Church.

"I---" Tyrone started to explain but trailed off after a few flicker, unsure of how to explain what had befell him these past three months. "It is..." He started once more and turned to curiously look at what Anistis was looking at and seeing Father Marcus off in the end of the hallway sitting and praying with two Paladins of the One guarding a majestic door. "The holy priest is waiting, Brother Anistis!" He exclaimed with alarum and turned to silently walk once more and obey the duties and responsibilities as an acolyte of the One God.

Presenting himself to Father Marcus, the Jackal knelt before the priest and with pious zeal, he kissed the hem of his holy vestment. "I am here, Father, to seek an audience with the Holy Bishop Lazos. Will the Auctoritas listen to the voice of his lowly servant?"
[size=75]Avatar from:[url=http://artofphilwohr.blogspot.com/2007/08/redmist-castle-work.html]Phil Wohr[/url]
[hr][/hr]
[hr][/hr]
Anistis
The Tender

Post by Anistis »

It was unsurprising, the acolyte supposed, that Tyrone, as a member of the Purificatio and as one so convinced of his own sin based merely on his race, held the traditional views on the status of women. Hopefully, he'd come to see the truth, that all are equally loved in the One's sight.

Anistis was bewildered, though, rather than offended, by Tyrone's comments on his friends in Terra West Trading. He'd never understood religious men who looked down upon those in worldly professions. After all, the One had created creatures with material needs, and nothing he made could be inherently sinful. It could only be, then, the abuse of worldly things that was evil. Surely this trade mission, too, was the work of Dominicus.

There was no opportunity, however, to offer Tyrone these rebuttals. After apparently finding himself unable or unwilling to answer Anistis' query about the past months, Tyrone had walked the remaining length of the hallway and knelt before Father Marcus. There would be time, perhaps, for theological discussion later. Tyrone was right; Father Marcus was indeed waiting. With a slight sigh, Anistis followed, kneeling by Tyrone's side.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

The guards watched their approach apprehensively, but Father Marcus exchanged with one a glance that said more than words could. Stand down. They understood though their stance remained ever ready for movement. There were precious few true Paladins left. Battles had killed many, though over the past few months their recruitment had been high, and they offered a good life to those who could make it. The rules were strict and the training quite extensive, but it was possible to be both pious and strong.

Father Marcus put one hand on Tyrone's shoulder, and the other on Anistis'. "Praise the One," he paused for them to insert their own echo. "Rise, let us see the Bishop," he said with a calm tone while beckoning them to stand.

He moved between them, and let either take up on his sides, and slightly behind him, so that he were the leader of their religious trio. He parted the Paladins with a wave of his hand, and each pulled open one side of the large wooden door that separated this antechamber from the Bishop's Chambers. Once inside, the Paladins shut the door, but it didn't make a sound - no squeak of the hinges nor click of a mechanism.

What came next to their ears was the sound of Lazos clearing his throat. He was a young man for his position - perhaps only thirty yahren at the most. He was clean shaven and on his head he had only the finest layer of stubble. "Jackal, you are welcomed into the house of the Lord," Lazos said nodding his head toward Tyrone. "Kneel before me, and let us pray."

Father Marcus did as instructed, kneeling on the carpeted floor beneath their feet. With his head turned to the ground, eyes closed, one hand over the heart and the other forward with the palm to the side and the thumb crossed over the palm, the priest waited for further instruction from his bishop.

"Oh Holy One who art in the aether above and who offers us guidance in times of trouble. We are forever indebted to you for returning the blessed Jackal to us to aid us, for we are lowly creatures and are in need of guidance. Bless," he said, and waited for them to repeat it in turn.

"Bless," Father Marcus said and brought his hands together while rising from the floor. "This is Anistis, your holiness," he introduced the young man. "He is an acolyte - both wished to see you, and I've a good feeling that their matters are in line." He stepped aside and allowed either one of the young men to step forward to speak to the Bishop who sat at a desk on top of which there were various papers, scrolls, quills and inks.

"Please, sit." There were a number of chairs - stools really - that could be pulled over. They were ornate and comfortable, but had no backs which forced the pious men toward better posture. Marcus took to one of the stools, while Lazos watched his other guests with sharply attentive eyes.
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]
Tyrone
The Jackal

Post by Tyrone »

Tyrone was awashed with utmost awe when he saw the Bishop Lazos once again and with the natural habit of a devout follower of the One, the young dark-skinned achadhiel knelt before him and kissed the hem of his sacred vestment, revering the holy cassock and position he carried as a man of the One Church. With his head still bowed, the Jackal fervently listened to the prayer of Lazos. "Dominicus, blessed be He, be praised!" He intoned the ritual closing prayer and with the grace of an adhiel, the young monk of the Purificatio stood up as he listened to Father Marcus introduced Brother Anistis.

With a worried frown, he glanced at Anistis and took a side look at Father Marcus, giving the younger acolyte a meaningful look if they should talk with the gentle priest present. The information they would have to divulge to the bishop was a delicate matter and the presence of too many people knowing about it was just too dangerous.

"Auctoritas..." The Jackal began, his face set in a profound zealousness. "Great evil is afoot within the Holy Church of the One! Last time I had a council with you, the Church was in a verge of danger and now, I fear, that danger has come at last."

"I do not know how, but there is little I could remember from the three months that had happened to me. Perhaps, it was the will of the Lord that I found myself in the desert of Terra Incognita wandering under the blistering heat of the sun and more than two months had passed since I saw you last, your Holiness, but, marked within my soul and heart was an inkling that danger lurked within the Holy Church. Post hastily, I traveled back to Kings Court to give you the warning and here, I met once more with Brother Anistis whom I have left alone to pursue the mission that was laid to me by the last Jackal of the One, the Apostate Bishop Jaxomen. As the current Jackal of the One Church, it is my duty to go with his expedition and protect him in pursuing what he had gathered. For thus, the scripture says, '--Will the Jackal hunt at the One's command? From his cave he seeks his prey, and he smells the wicked from afar off. Wheresoever the wicked shall be, he is immediately there.--'" With a solemn nod, he gave the floor to the younger acolyte.
[hr][/hr]
[hr][/hr]
Anistis
The Tender

Post by Anistis »

Anistis followed proper custom by kissing the hem of the bishop's cassock and repeating the concluding intonation of Lazos' prayer before rising, taking a seat as had been requested, and allowing Tyrone to speak.

He caught the dark achadiel's look before he did so, as well as its significance. Father Marcus' presence here worried the monk. Suspecting Marcus of being a cultist seemed completely absurd to Anistis because of his kindly nature, but then again, would a cultist act like a cultist? These paranoid lines of thought were in fact twisted, unfamiliar paths to Anistis, and he wasn't sure how to proceed tactfully, and he mulled over this while Tyrone made his initial address to the bishop.

"Bishop, the matters we bring to you are grave indeed. As Tyrone says, there is evil afoot in the Church, and I fear that the lack of an Avatar and the recent schism will make us more vulnerable to this evil now than ever we would have been before. The importance of this matter and its implications for the future preservation of the One Church make it most appropriate, perhaps, to be told first to your ears alone." He briefly regarded Father Marcus with a deeply apologetic expression. He felt as if he was completely out of line by requesting, even in such a sympathetic manner, that the priest be sent out of the room. He didn't mistrust Father Marcus at all, but he couldn't discount the possiblity that Brother Tyrone's fears were justified. "After you've heard what we have to say and you are informed, the issues of how to deal with the matter and who other than you should know of it will of course be yours to decide."
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

The priest looked between Tyrone and Ani, nodding and already understanding before the request was made. "It seems I was correct in thinking your matters concerned each other," he said.

"Marcus - thank you for bringing them to my attention. Your services are required at the Abbey," he slid a rolled up parchment across his desk which Father Marcus stepped over to pick up. He made to unfold it, but the Bishop made a slight motion that stopped him. Marcus nodded and made haste out of the room leaving just Tyrone and Anistis in his company.

"Alright," he continued. "You speak of grave news, men. Now, do tell me from what We the Church need to fear," he gave them the floor to speak, and his sharp eyes kept close to whomever spoke.
Tyrone
The Jackal

Post by Tyrone »

“Go with Dominicus, Father Marcus.” Tyrone nodded at the priest before he had the chance to leave, relieved that he wouldn’t be endangering the life of the gentle priest if he knew what was happening to the divided church of the One.

"Auctoritas, I was sent by the abbots of my order as a Novice Confessor of the Purificatio to offer my service to the One Church." The Acolyte Confessor of the Prodessean Church began. "Three months ago, upon my return from my pilgrimage and fasting, I have been warned that a Cult was rising within the midst of the the One Church and I must seek the Keeper of the Codex. Not well versed with letters, Dominicus, in His great wisdom, sent me Brother Anistis to aid me in this undertaking." He gravely turned towards the younger acolyte and gave him a solemn nod of appreciation.

"Brother Anistis was left alone to his own devising," Tyrone continued with a pained look. "Alas, I should have been here to help him uncover these abominatiuon that fester within our Church, Holy Bishop, but before I could begin to help, I found myself waking up in the desert of Terra Incognita and more than a month had passed since I had conferred with Brother Anistis. I know not what had happened to me, although I do have a vague recollection of someone accompanying me in the desert. Everything is clouded, Holy Bishop, and I keep seeing the face of the Apostate Bishop Jaxomen, whom, I have learned, was possessed by the Spirit of the One in the form of the Jackal, Dominicus' Retribution."

Hearing his own story out loud, Tyrone frowned and shook his head with worry. It all sounded like the ravings of a mad man and the young dark achadhiel was deeply troubled by what had happened. There were memories and spaces in time he could not remember. Perhaps, he was going mad!

"Holy Bishop..." The dark achadhiel exclaimed out loud, his voice fearful. "I must be going mad! Perhaps... this Jaxomen, this cult... Perhaps, they are a figment of my imagination!"

"Brother Anistis!" The Jackal turned to the younger acolyte with a worried look. "Tell me that I am not going mad, perhaps, this is the punishment from God for all of my iniquities!"
[hr][/hr]
[hr][/hr]
Anistis
The Tender

Post by Anistis »

There was a moment's hesitation from the acolyte, the possiblity Tyrone had just raised hanging in the air like an executioner's ax inches from his neck. Whatever else he was, it was clear to Anistis by now that Tryone was a deeply troubled man. Could it be that the cult that Anistis had been living in fear of for the past three months was a mere delusion? If so, there would be a new mission- Tyrone would need help, would need healing. If this were true, there would be grave problems for the monk, but Anistis was confident that the One would help him toward healing. Anistis would show such a mission of mercy every bit as much devotion as he'd had for uncovering the cult. Besides which, it would be a far less life-threatening task.

But no.

"Brother Tyrone, whatever it is that happened to you in the desert," he began, noting that there were certainly questions to be answered regarding Tyrone's disappearance back in Chyril, "you are still in your right mind. There are facts that point to the truth of what you've related to us. Your superiors told you of this. Surely you did not imagine their words. They told you to seek the Keeper of the Codex. She's been found. I've seen pages taken from it with my own eyes. You sought the Bishop Jaxomen. No matter what the situation is now, it is historical fact that he existed once. No, Brother, what you've experienced is real, and not a creation of your mind."

Anistis knew that he was raising a lot of issues that may be unfamiliar to Lazos, but despite the bishop's authoritative presence in the room, the acolyte's first priority was to allay Tyrone's fears. Once the dark achadiel was calmed, he would quite obligingly answer any questions that Lazos asked.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

The young Bishop watched the pair closely, as if memorizing their each move in slow motion - dissecting their slightest expressions and noting each twitch of their muscles. He had a great attention to detail. It was one of the things that had helped him reach this position so young. This was only the beginning for Bishop Lazos had eyes on a higher position of power, and he had every intention on using the two men in front of him to gain it. Them, and whomever else presented themselves as purposeful pawns.

Let the games begin, he thought to himself as Tyrone explained where he'd been. "Bishop Jaxomen has left us," he started slowly, almost painfully, with a somber distance in his eyes. "For the tender embrace of Dominicus." It was the gentlest way of saying he'd passed from the land of the living - the tether - to that of the gods and souls in the aether. "He visited me in a dream." Lazos' fingers knitted together on the desk.

"And said that he was not the Jackal - that he was naught but the bearer of His Greatness, and that Dominicus - in all His Glory - would bring through Jaxomen's death the true Jackal. It makes much more sense now... he said he was in the shadow of the Jackal - though even in that he couldn't match the purity of the darkness," he shook his head, smiling. "I couldn't understand it then... I had thought it to be a great and dark portent in our already desolate times, but this is not so! You are the Jackal, Tyrone, and it was your skin to which he mentioned! Ha! I should have realized it wouldn't be so simple."

From there, he looked at Anistis. "And if he is the Jackal, then he who travels by his side is The Tender," he offered him a gentle smile.

"But you speak of graver news than these things - tell me what you know of this Codex. We shall speak of these other matters once this has been taken care of. Tell me of the Keeper." The Bishop's hands spread in a welcoming manner, as if to suggest either one of them could continue.
Anistis
The Tender

Post by Anistis »

If any of the bishop's cold machinations touched his face, Anistis failed to notice. While he most certainly put less stock in the man's authority than Tyrone did, the acolyte had still been raised in a tradition that encouraged respect for and obedience of those in higher ecclesiastical authority, as they have studied the scriptures and are more knowledgeable about the will and deeds of Dominicus.

It took several flickers for Anistis to respond to the bishop's query as he took in what Lazos had said about Jaxomen, and then about Anistis. How could this be? Anistis was positively dumbfounded and also quite disturbed, and his knees were rubber as he stood when addressed. At least he had the presence of mind to offer the bishop a polite bow before he began.

"The... The Keeper of the Codex is a noblewoman here in K-King's Court," he began. "She s-sent me and a few, um, others to... find the rest of it. It's, uh, it's not all in one piece, you see." He paused for a moment, taking a deep breath in an attempt to regain his composure.

This Jaxomen was alive after two hundred yahren? How?! And what of me? I have a role in this prophecy, too? What does this mean?

Before his thoughts could wander any further, the acolyte continued: "It is my plan- uh, by your leave, of course- to take up with some friends of mine in a trading caravan headed for Pax Balthasar, with other stops along the way. I was hoping to use the opportunity to search for the missing portions of this document. You must know- I mean, you mentioned the Keeper- it's a very important book of prophecies about our city."

Something Debrona had told Azure, Matiel, and Anistis when they'd first met came back to him as he said this. She'd said that the prophecies would likely include things that "the powers in this city will not like." Should he be speaking of this, even to the Bishop? As soon as this suspicion came into his mind, however, the acolyte cast it aside. This was a man of God, and what reasons would he have not to help them in a holy mission?

"I thought it would be wise to seek your guidance regarding this cult, as well as bring it to your attention. We don't know much about it, but can you help us in any way?"

Try as he might, he could no longer help but ask the other questions that reverberated like the echoes of thunder in the dark recesses of his mind, and they escaped his mouth like steam from a boiling pot that had just been uncovered:

"Please, there's so much I don't understand. Who was Jaxomen? There was a Jaxomen who lived two hundred yahren ago, but it's not the same man, is it? How could it be? Besides all that, if he apostatized, then why is he considered a hero of the faith? What's the true role of the Jackal, and what do you mean, I'm the Tender? I've never done anything important in my life! I can't be part of some ancient prophecy!" Can I?

When he was finished, Anistis took a deep breath (for he he hadn't breathed at all during his outburst) and slowly released the air through his lips.

"I'm sorry, your Excellency, if my manner of asking was out of line." He locked eyes with the bishop, his eyes pleading. "But I must know."
Tyrone
The Jackal

Post by Tyrone »

"Dominicus (Blessed be He) be praised for bringing you, Brother Anistis." the troubled dark achadhiel exclaimed, desperately clinging to the words of the younger acolyte and desperately believing him. Yes, his words were true, he was not going mad! The Keeper of the Codex was certainly true, as well as the Codex and that Brother Anistis had seen its pages and the woman who had kept it and, if these were true, then, the Cult was certainly true. Soothed, he breathed a sigh of relief and listened to the words of Bishop Lazos.

"Dead!" Tyrone exclaimed with alarm and zealously made the sign of the One, a circling gesture over his forehead, his lips and over his heart, as he closed his eyes and looked heavenward, murmuring a small prayer for the departed soul of the Apostate Bishop. He hardly knew the man and he had only met him once, despising him for his lack of faith and his callous regard for Dominicus and His One Church, but his death had bereft him of what his purpose was, of his role as the Jackal. "Eternal rest grant unto him, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon him. May he rest in peace, Amen."

Unlike Anistis, the young dark achadhiel completely accepted the words of the holy Bishop and with fanatic gleam of his gray eyes, he stood as the Jackal, the One's Retribution. Did he not took the holy vow of absolute obedience, to obey the dogma's of the One Church, of Dominicus and His servant and priests? And to doubt one word from the lips of Bishop Lazos was to doubt the very commandments of the One Himself. Such was transgression to the eyes of the Jackal and sinner as he was, he feared sinning more against the One and Only God.

With fanatic intensity, choking back his tears of gladness, Tyrone knelt before the Bishop and took his hand and reverently kissed his holy ring that symbolized his sacred office as a bishop of the One. "Auctoritas," the Jackal began, his voice throbbing with veneration and zealous devotion. "...with God as my witness, before your holy presence and the presence of my devoted brother in the One God, Anistis, and though I am not worthy to receive such mantle, I heartily accept this calling as the Jackal of the One, to obey His commandments, and the commandments of His servants: the Priests, the Clergies and the Bishops, to the best of my abilities, to further the cause of the One Church of Dominicus, to preserve His faith and bring burning redemption to lost and sinners that they may see the Light of the One True Church."

"And I am to go with him, Holy Bishop," Tyrone interjected as he stood once more and respectfully backed away to stand beside Anistis. "In order that no harm shall befall Brother Anistis." Turning to the younger acolyte, he continued. "I am not a lettered man, Brother, but perhaps, you can explain what you have read in the Codex, such warning must be told to the Holy Bishop. Do you have the pages with you?"

But, when Anistis started to doubt his own role in the prophecy, the Jackal frowned and took pity at the younger acolyte. Tyrone had completely embraced his part with no question for he could not doubt Dominicus. Wasn't every destiny set by Him? For surely, if this destiny was given to to them both by the Hand of God Himself, who where they to question Him?

"Brother..." The Jackal whispered, carefully reaching out to clasp Anistis' shoulder, trying to ease his anxiety. "...Have faith in the Lord! Surely, the Lord God has chosen you to bear this for He has seen your devoutness to the One Church. Stand firm and let not sin and doubt creep inside your heart. Believe that all destinies are determined by the Lord, for surely, through Him, in Him, everything is possible and let His will be done."
Last edited by Tyrone on Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[hr][/hr]
[hr][/hr]
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"How many others know of the Codex?" Lazos asked Anistis, for he was the one who brought up the journey to find the remaining pieces. "Beside the Keeper and yourselves, that is... and how many of them will be going on this pilgrimage you have planned?" The Bishop was an understanding man, and he asked his questions with great care while watching his two sheep carefully. "And this noblewoman - do you not speak her name for fear of reprocussions, son?" He couldn't help but note how it had been cleverly left out of his answer.

As Anistis raised his other questions, Lazos raised a hand to wave them away. "All answers in time," he looked to Tyrone.

"Jaxomen is indeed dead," he said, still with a great swelling of grace at bestowing the young dark achadhiel with this news. "Amen," he echoed Tyrone's prayer for the safety of his soul. "But.. at this point... I believe his soul has found it's place. I should wonder if perhaps for the past two hundred yahren he's been wandering trying to find you," here, his strong gaze shifted between the two of them evenly. "Caught in the purgatory between worlds - unable to settle until the Jackal had found his voice."

Tyrone, alight with the joy of the One, radiated his faith throughout the room via the kisses he bestowed on the Bishop's hand. "You are worthy, Tyrone, for the One would not give you this gift were it not in His holy plan." He nodded to him as he passed along his words of encouragement to Anisitis. Proudly, almost, he watched Tyrone blossom into the blade that would be at the hand of the One - at Lazos' hand. There was a power in this that no other man on Tazlure could understand, excepting for perhaps Demetrion the Favored, for he spoke to Dominicus like one might to a friend - something Lazos feared and envied.

"You are not to leave, Tyrone." The Bishop said to answer his query. "Dominicus has a plan for you, and it is here with us." Quite well, Tyrone had asked a few of the questions that Lazos wanted to ask himself, including what of the documents had been translated as well as whether or not he had any of it with him. "How much of it is still missing?" The guardians had spread the pages all around the Kingdom, and they needed to gather them while there was still time.
Anistis
The Tender

Post by Anistis »

Although it was frustrating for the acolyte to have his questions dismissed so easily, he offered him a reverential bow. "Yes, your Excellency. I apologize for being so brash with my questions, and I pray for answers in the One's time."

Tyrone's admonishment stung as much as it soothed. The suggestion that he would doubt the will of the One made him feel as if he'd commited a great sin, although doubt of the One's true will had never been his intent at all. "You're right, Brother. I accept whatever the Lord Dominicus sees fit to call me to. He doesn't call the worthy, but the unworthy and the lowly, in order to make His glory shine all the more brightly."

When the bishop inquired further about the identity of the Keeper, Anistis' fears returned. "The powers in the city" would not like what was in the Codex, Debrona had said. He didn't want to mistrust the bishop, and if giving him all of the information he knew only had the possiblity of hurting him, Anistis would not have hesitated. As it was, though, he didn't want Debrona or anyone else to come to harm.

He mustered up the courage to ask pointedly, "Should I be afraid of reprocussions, your Excellency? I don't feel that Dominicus would have chosen her for the holy role of the Keeper only to be forced to relinquish the book she's been charged with protecting against her will.

"Please forgive me; the matter of this cult has made me more cautious than I normally would ever be. As for the others, there are two which the Lady has employed, both of whom will be coming on the expedition. We weren't told many particulars. I don't know how much of the Codex is missing, but I do have the pages I was given as an example with me." He obligingly produced a page that he'd very carefully rolled from the folds of his vestments and handed it to Lazos.

He was disappointed to hear that he and Tyrone would be separated again after only a day's reunion, but he pressed on nonetheless, "I hope that the journey will be useful in uncovering not only the Codex, but answers regarding this cult within the One Church. Please, I ask for your guidance on this matter if you have any to give. I've lost much sleep over it, and I've prayed for clarity, but it doesn't come. How best should I proceed in seeking to uncover the cult in my travels?"
Tyrone
The Jackal

Post by Tyrone »

Tyrone's head snapped towards the young acolyte and gave him his most incredulous look when he heard him reply thus pointedly at the holy bishop. He did not care for the tone of his voice, Anistis was almost disrespectful, almost at the brink of being insolent against the Holy Bishop Lazos, the servant of the One God.

"Repercussions, Brother Anistis?" The Jackal replied with a hiss, his voice low and inaudible, laced with chilling coldness. "Repercussions from what? From the Church? If she is a true daughter of the One God, she would not hesitate to relinquish the Codex and further aid the One Church against the Cult." He frowned at the young acolyte, staring at him with cold, fanatic, baleful, gray eyes. Perhaps asking for his aid was a mistake, there was something odd with him and for a brief moment, the Jackal sensed something more, that one day, the two of them would lock their will against each other and it would not be pleasant. He did not understand how he knew, perhaps, it was a premonition from the One God but with certain alarm, he pocketed that omen and buried it deep inside his mind.

"As you should be, Brother Anistis," Tyrone continued when the young acolyte mentioned his cautious fear. "But your fear is obviously misguided. Are we not here to ask aid from the Holy Bishop Lazos and then you contradict yourself by fearing HIS faith and loyalty to the One God? O tempora, Brother Anistis! O mores!* May the Holy Bishop and the One Lord forgive your suspicions."

"Command me then, Holy Bishop!" The Jackal turned zealously with a faint rustle of his robe to face him. "I am yours to command!" He was disappointed that he would not be able to go with Anistis, but this disappointment was more for that fact that he wouldn't be able to watch the young acolyte. Perhaps, he needed to ask the Bishop to send someone with Brother Anistis, not only to aid him seek for the Codex and the Cult, but to watch his... faith and vigilance. And if the Bishop would not be able to handle this, then, he would seek help from the Purificatio. This crisis affects both Church and perhaps it was time to unite them under this Crisis. Yes, he would ask the Bishop without the presence of the younger acolyte.

With a gnawing curiosity, he looked at the parchment. "What does it say, Brother?" He asked, deferring to the younger acolyte's talent that was handed to him by the One God.
[hr][/hr]
*"What times, Brother Anistis, what manners!" The Philosopher Cicero makes use of this expression several times in his orations.
Last edited by Tyrone on Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
[hr][/hr]
[hr][/hr]
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

Lazos kept his composure with practice. He was a steady man, it was how he'd risen to the power that he had so far. Tyrone was quick to judge Anistis, and tell him not to question the Bishop, Lazos raised a hand to still Tyrone after he'd said his peace. "Be calm, son," he started. "It is the nature of the Tender to have questions - let us not to be the ones to cast the questions - for that is the task of Dominicus," he explained thoughtfully. He gave them both equal attention as he spoke, as if it were as much for Anistis' benefit to hear this as it was for him to tell Tyrone.

Gathering a deep breath, the knowledgeable man gave Anistis a softly apologetic smile. "I assure you, that whatever you say to me is said in perfect confidence, and no cultists will be privy to such knowledge. Lazos opened a small top drawer in his desk and procured a small box that was wrapped in intricately branded leather into an image of the celestial heavens above with a nimbus surrounding the ideal representation of Tazlure - the perfect center of the universe as they knew it. From this box he removed a delicate eye-glass which he hovered over the sheet that Anistis had retrieved and moved it over the sheet. After a flicker he stopped.

"Concering your travels: I believe in the guidance of Dominicus. He will lead you down His path," Lazos said, putting both the sheet and the magnifying glass down on his desk for the moment. "The cult you seek - they are explained in the Codex, one shall reveal the other; but Dominicus has given no guidance yet as to which should be pursued first, but we have a lead on the Codex. Sense would suggest we go with that, until we know more," he said patiently, trying to lead Anistis away from his self-doubts and fear.

Bishop Lazos cleared his throat, licked his lips, and continued. "Her name is Lady Debrona," he waited a flicker to allow the fact that he already knew to sink in for Anistis. Yes, child. I am all seeing, all knowing. "Had I intention of taking her book by force it would've been done already and you'd have never been discovered. All these things must happen in an order - but the Lady is forcing my hand by her not telling us of you and your friends." The Bishop had grown tired of those like him - those who questioned their leadership. Lady Debrona was like that as well, and it could cost them discovering the root of the prophecy as they did two hundred yahren before. Tyrone was a breath of fresh air, and he was one that would go far because of it, at least as far as he was useful. "She reports to the Regent, I wish that you would trust me, for it will make it easier for me to give you this," he picked up a fist sized sack which he dropped on the desk with a loud metallic clunk that followed with some jingles muffled in the small satin bag. "For your travels. If you need more, send word in your next city of call via their portal - make sure you save at least enough to pay for that."

He interlinked his fingers. "You must Tend the flock, Anistis, and you must guide by a Tender hand so that no one realizes how important this is - not even your comrades. Do you understand? You are the whisper of Dominicus of the things to come, and you will help us find His voice with the Codex." Lazos picked up the sheet again and handed it back to Anistis. "This page makes no sense, Debrona hides her secrets even from you."

Now wasn't the time to continue debating whether or not she could be trusted. "Go to your room, gather your things, and prepare for your journey. If there is anything else you require before departing then ask it to Father Marcus and he will get it for you. Dominicus be Blessed, I wish you His guidance." Lazos had established all he needed to concerning this young man and his role with the Codex. "I will see you in a Tenday - report directly to me as soon as you've re-entered the city with any news you have. I have the means to summon Debrona here as soon as you arrive so that she can begin reading anything you find.
Anistis
The Tender

Post by Anistis »

Anistis met Tyrone's gaze, the dark achadiel's gray eyes more cold and distant than he had ever seen them. It was a piercing, almost hateful glare that bored straight to the boy's soul. Despite the pain in caused, Anistis forced himself to hold eye contact with his comrade as he was berated for his supposed error in judgment. As he did so, Anistis had the sinking impression that he'd lost Tyrone's respect, perhaps permanently, and this violently pierced his heart. Anistis would never compromise his convictions to gain it, but he yearned from comradierie and friendship anywhere where he could find it, and he yearned to offer that gift to others, and despite not having known him for a very long time, Anistis considered Tyrone a great companion and friend. The monk couldn't have hurt him more if he'd struck him.

Anistis had a sense, too, that their differing ideologies would one day lead them to conflict, but he didn't share Tyrone's conception of fate and destiny. Conflict was never the will of the One; it was something that mortals, in their sin, created. Dominicus would never have put them together to set them up as enemies. Such trajectories of fate could be changed. Yes, by the grace of the One God, Anistis loved Tyrone, as he did all the people of King's Court, the Western Kingdom, and Tazlure itself. Love was the way of truth and goodness- and goodness and truth must be the way of the One God! Anistis stood under Tyrone's withering gaze wearing an expression that was hurt, but nevertheless filled with love and respect for his comrade in service of the One and his friend. It was determination as much as true sentiment that gave him the courage not to look away and to regard Tyrone so. Back in the confessional chambers, Tyrone had seemed, just for a flicker, as if he wanted Anistis to display anger and hate. He would show the monk that there was a better way. As long as he lived, he would never regard a child of the One God Dominicus with such a baleful mask.

Even past the initial shock of learning that Bishop Lazos already knew what Anistis had not volunteered (which elicited an almost imperceptible gasp from the acolyte), the young man was greatly humbled and, indeed, ashamed of his lack of trust. The realization was more painfully obvious as Lazos spoke that he'd acted wrongly and out of line.

Were you wrong, though- really? a voice inside of him asked. Bishop Lazos is a servant of Dominicus, but he isn't Dominicus Himself. Dominicus is infallible, but His servants are mortal, just like everoyone else. They can make mistakes; doesn't the so-called "War of the One" prove that?

Discarding that thought and instead remembering his vow of Obediance, Anistis knelt before Lazos, kissing the hem of his robe. He was thankful that the bishop had been more understanding, if only marginally, than Tyrone.

"Your Excellency, may all present in this place-" by this he meant to encompass the bishop and Tyrone, as well as Dominicus Himself- "pardon my offense. I accept the will of the One, His purpose for me, and the authority of those He has placed over me. Please understand, though, that I spoke as I did only out of concern for another of His children and not out of pride. My questioning may have been misguided, but my intent is ever in the service of the One and the whole of His creation."

Anistis would kneel there until Lazos commanded him to rise, whereupon he would take the Codex page and the purse full of money graciously as tools for the journey. It was likely that the acolyte had never seen such a sum in his life, but he hadn't batted and eye and noted it as nothing more than necessary provisions.

Dominicus, he prayed, I trust in You. I too believe in Your guidance. Guard me from my own mistakes and help me to accomplish Your will, that all of Your children may know Your love.
Tyrone
The Jackal

Post by Tyrone »

Anistis was humbled and Tyrone stood there, basking in the obeisance of the younger acolyte, greatly approving of the humility he was showing. His heart was not a heart of stone and quite touched by the devotion which the younger acolyte had shown, he relented and found himself praying for him, for his journey, knowing that it would take a great deal from the young man, not only physically, but spiritually.

With a rustle of his robe, the Jackal stepped forward and stood beside the kneeling figure of Anistis before the Holy Bishop. Slowly, he gently placed his hand upon his shoulder and prayed for him, casting his fanatic eyes heavenward:

"*I pray You’ll be his eyes,
And watch him where he goes,
And help him to be wise ,
In times when he doesn't know,
Let this be my prayer,
When he loses his way,
Lead him to a place,
Guide him with Your grace,
To a place where he’ll be safe."

He hoped that the young acolyte would be strong in faith and not let his heart be filled with doubt. He wished that he could go with him and lead him to a safe path back to the Light of the One, to obediently obey His commandments and the precepts set to His servants, the priests and clergies of the Church. He could not and all he could offer was a prayer.

"I pray he’ll find Your light,
And hold it in his heart,
When stars go out each night,
Remind him where You are,
Let this be my prayer,
When shadows fill his day,
Lead him to a place,
Guide him with Your grace,
Give him faith so he’ll be safe."

*The Prayer - OST, Quest For Camelot
[hr][/hr]
[hr][/hr]
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"You are forgiven, my son," the Bishop said to him, resting his palm on his shoulder as a way of comfort for Anistis. "Rise. Do not tell the merchants you travel with of this money," he added. "For while you may trust them I wouldn't want for you to be taken advantage of." There was enough money there that they could swindle him out of some of it without much concern, but still, Lazos presented the caution to give him some thought about his traveling companions. "Hmm, considering that. Here," Lazos flexed his fingers and wiggled free a ring from one of them. It would fit over Anistis' middle finger easily. "If you concentrate on a person and they lie to you then the gem will glow." It was a thick and heavy silver ring into which a donut of magickally imbued garnet was embeded, the center of which was fashioned with an X of silver like the Eye of Dominicus. "I'll expect that returned when you return - so don't go selling it or anything," he said with one of his first smiles. He was an ambitious man, but he had Anistis' best interests in mind. "Good luck," he finished while Tyrone offered a prayer for the young man's well-being and safe travels. "Close the door on your way out."

OOC: From here and below the door is closed! Bye, Ani. Good luck & see you in the Caravan. Ring has been added to your inventory.

Once the acolyte had left the Bishop turned his attention to Tyrone. "It is the job of the shephard to lead the flock, Tyrone, to lead the flock and eliminate the bull that leads them astray." Lazos' sharp eyes met the distant gaze of Tyrone. "I need you to do this as the Jackal, in the name of Dominicus, for His holy praise. Can you take a sinner's life?"
Last edited by Ashari on Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tyrone
The Jackal

Post by Tyrone »

ooc: Good bye and good luck, Ani! Although short lived, it was a blast rping with you.
[hr][/hr]

"Go with Dominicus, Brother," Tyrone gave Anistis his last farewell, "and may you walk alongside with Him." He then waited for the young acolyte to leave.

"I fear for him, Holy Bishop," The Jackal murmured, breaking the long flicker of silence between them after the departure of Anistis, his dark achadhiel face still looking distantly beyond the closed door, as if watching Anistis leave the safety and sanctity of the Basilica. "Not for any physical harm that may befall him. Brother Anistis is... young in the world. I fear for his infantile faith." He then turned his solemnly to face Lazos. "I do not question you, Holy Bishop, I have no right to, what I question is Brother Anistis' devotion. Is it prudent to let him take this quest alone in the midst of such sinners? By what I have heard from him today, Auctoritas, his loyalty is a bit.. questionable, his faith a bit misguided. Would it be more cautious to send another servant of the lord with Brother Anistis, someone who's loyalty and devotion we could not doubt, someone who could scrutinize if his devotion would wane, if his faith would be tainted by the sinners that surround him. This is a matter of gravest urgency, Holy Bishop, and I doubt if his faith could protect him from the lies of this wretched Cult. For isn't the Nether Lord the Prince of Lies? Would Brother Anistis,with his young faith, be able to fend himself against the lies of the sinners, heretics, pagans and idolaters?"

"Auctoritas!" The Jackal exclaimed with complete loyalty, kneeling and bowing his head before the Bishop. "No need for you to ask! Did I not take the Vow of Obedience to serve Dominicus and His servants? Ask and you shall receive! You have but to point, for the scripture says, the Jackal shall hunt at the One's command. From his cave he shall seek his prey, and he smells the wicked from afar off. Wheresoever the wicked shall be, he is immediately there."

With a fervent look of complete fanaticism, the young dark achadhiel of the One lifted his head to face the Bishop. "Command me then, Holy Bishop, so I may further the cause of the One Church, that through me, the Lord's Jackal, His Retribution in Tazlure, the Pagans and the Sinners shall be purged and Tazlure shall fear His burning redemption once again. I swear, with Dominicus as my witness, as of this moment, this sinner is proclaimed dead, by this flicker, he is but a borrowed life, a walking dead."
Last edited by Tyrone on Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
[hr][/hr]
[hr][/hr]
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"He is stronger than you may believe, Tyrone," Lazos said, watching after the door as well. "He has a faith in this Codex, and in rooting out the Cult... as well as a loyalty to Lady Debrona. He will not fail her even if he questions the church. Anistis must find his path. And... he will not travel alone," Lazos smiled a secret sort of smile. "So do not fear for him or his fledgling beliefs. I will make sure that he is watched closely." Lazos didn't suggest by what means, or by who, but there was a resolve in his eyes that made it obvious he didn't lie.

"There is a heretic who has been spreading lies about the One - who seeks to bring others into the fold of idol worship. Their operation is just down the road from here - in the ruins of the evil and twisted Temple of the pagan Mother goddess." The Bishop seemed pained to even talk of it, a grimace taking over his generally plain features.

"It has come to my attention that there are clues there for how to get to a secret pagan church somewhere else in the city. I imagine it to be some manner of map... I want you to go there and discover this church, and then kill their leader."

He swallowed back his angered features. "Being a dark adhiel you are specially suited to this task, for they will think you to be one of them. You must go wearing the clothes of the common people - do you have any? If not, Father Marcus will assist you in aquiring some. I need this to be done by tomorrow evening. When you have completed the task come to me and we shall pray for guidance from Dominicus in destroying the heretics."

Return to “KC Archive”