Terra West Trading Co - Chapter 3 - Jy 31st ET

Located on the north of Mer de la Luna is the capital of the Western Kingdom: Kings Court. Named after the fact it is the king's residence, KC was built by ancient Adhiel ancestors. The capital is surrounded by large grass fields known as the Downs.

Moderators: Ashari, Haikan

Ashari
Moderator & Coordinator Mer Cities

Terra West Trading Co - Chapter 3 - Jy 31st ET

Post by Ashari »

Travel continued for another few marks into eveningtide until their stomachs and beasts of burden gave protest. It was the latter which was the loudest, with Jezara giving a great whinny as the cool evening air whipped across the open plains ruffling her motled mane. The other animals, heeding her call, snorted and snuffed while putting down their hooves for the final time.

It was manageable to circle up the carts so that they were well protected on all sides, though it took some time as they weren't yet practiced with the routine of it. The scouts came round and linked their mounts up to the carts, which made it go much faster as their horses had more energy than those that had been pulling all day. Inside, preparations for the night's rest were underway. Several of the men had brought along their own tents which they busily pitched - Geoffrey being among them. Others were unpacking sleeping rolls while everyone waited for Mikail to start working on a meal for the hungry travelers.

Anna, being ever the helpful assistant, tucked away her writing instruments when they'd begun their "parking" and had now found her way over to Mikail. "Anything I can do to help you?" She asked, Mathias, too, having no particular purpose for the moment, followed along.

"I can retrieve some of the firewood and we can set something up," Mathias offered.

Fangwyrd, having finally woken now that the moving had stopped, heard talk of firewood and gave a tug to Haikan's jacket. "You know, squire, I'm likely more capable at creating a fire than any of your biped associates." He suggested, though whether the Captain would take him up on it was up to him.

For Anistis, Azure, Matiel, Brogan and Talis the stopping to camp provided them the ability to relax, stretch their legs and eventually get a bite to eat, but little else as none had an assigned task. If they wanted, there were plenty of ways they could help out, but they'd have to find such a thing. There was wood in need of moving for camp fires as well as preparation for food for the many people that were in the caravan. What they chose to do was entirely up to them.

OOC: This will be the "base" thread for now. You're welcome to open up side threads for conversations (especially if you want to hyper post!) to carry them through the evening.
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]
Anistis
The Tender

Post by Anistis »

Anistis stepped down from the carriage only to find that his right leg had fallen asleep when it buckled under its own weight. With a little bit of balance, he was able to keep himself from falling, dragging the leg with the rest of his body weight and quietly muttering "Ow, ow, ow, ow..." as the blood got flowing again. After walking in circles to resurrect the dead leg, he gravitated toward the passanger carriage, looking to see if anyone needed help unpacking whatever things they needed for the night. It occured to him as he did so that he'd not brought anything to sleep on, but he figured even the ground couldn't be all that worse than his bed at the Basilica.
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

"Alright, that's that for a day's work, we're almost done. Mikail, I look forward to your delicious cooking, as I'm sure everyone else does too." The militia captain hopped down from their cart, and he began to walk toward the center of the circled wagons as he pondered the 'to-do list' of the evening. Let's see, what should be done first... Is everybody comfortable? Wait, the night scouts haven't gone out yet. Hmm... I do have to sleep, so I can't oversee them... Oh, right. Micah and Mikail are in charge of the night scouts. As he recalled this, he raised his hand to his mouth for the purpose of focusing the direction of his hushed shout toward the sword-faction cart.

"Oh, Micah;" he turned to the first cart, "Mikail!" Making sure not to let his voice reverberate through the entire woods around them, he controlled his volume the best he could to audibly summon his brother and the night-squad first lieutenant. After waiting for them to arrive, he offered Mik one of the four metal horns that the company owned. He offered the other three to Micah, to be distributed to the scouts as previously planned. The achadhiel hadn't been there when the warning trumpets were discussed, but it didn't take a mind as keen as Mik's to figure out what their purpose was.

The adhiel's tone returned to his normal speaking voice as he spoke with them, now up close they could speak at a wise volume and be easily audible. "Mikail, I imagine you know what these horns are for. If there is a brooding siege, sound the horns, and the men and I will all jump into action. Work with Micah to make sure that the scouts are debriefed and that they switch shifts markly throughout the Gravetide. If I am needed, feel free to wake me, but if not, I should probably see to it that I'm rested for tomorrow's work. And - this goes for everybody - we should try not to make too much noise."

The adhiel nodded to Fangwyrd as he made his offer. "Yes, noble Fangwyrd, your flames would prove most effective- as long as you are sure that their might won't overpower the campfire and light the surrounding grass aflame." Fangwyrd's speaking of fire-production caused a flame of sorts to be lit in Haikan's own mind. He was very excited for this particular evening, for perhaps he too would be able to conjure flames on this night.
Azure Stonehand
Civus

Post by Azure Stonehand »

Her legs had fallen asleep. Seeing Anistis' pain, Azure tried stretching the cramps and numbness from them in the cart before she stepped out. She stood up and stretched them again, losing her footing once and recovering quickly. She looked around, realizing she didn't know half of the people. She decided to remain silent. She heard Haikan asking his dragon to start a fire. Unwilling to be too close to that, she stepped backward and grimaced. It would be nice to end the hunger though, so she did not protest too much. She admitted to herself that she feared the animal...but if it started a fire and cooked meat, it may just win her over.

Azure leaned against one of the carts, her protesting muscles still knotting on her calves. She tried pointing her toes and stretching, but there was no loosening them until they were ready. She tried to hide this discomfort from those who surrounded her, but failed miserably. Azure was excited about this adventure and kept the flames of that excitement burning within her heart. She waved them alive by looking around her, enjoying the newness all around.

Azure then drew her attention to her companions, listening to their talking with interest.
Azure Stonehand
AKA Meisha
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

Fangwyrd preened himself appropriately. "I will do you this honor," he said while taking in a deep breath of oxygen which melded with the chemicals in his throat, to begin the process of making the fire. A few logs were provided wood by Mathias who thought the small creature was incredibly fascinating. I can't wait to tell the other students at the Bardic College about him! he thought to himself while arranging the wood in a way that would be best for cooking.

The small dragon, then, flexed unecessarily, his throat growing red-hot before expelling a steady, if restrained, stream of fire that he applied to the smaller kindling of the fire before taking another breath in his little lungs to spread the flames over the heavier pieces of wood until there was a decent fire going.

Mathias and Anna, meanwhile, helped gather more wood to set up multiple fires for small groups to sit around. By the end there were a few of them, with Haikan enjoying the praise for his abilities with fire only to fall back to Haikan's side once done. He'd earned his keep, he thought to himself.
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]
Anistis
The Tender

Post by Anistis »

When he had confirmed that moving possessions out of the caravan was being taking care of, Anistis headed back in the direction of Haikan and Fangwyrd, taking a place standing next to the adhiel.

"If the rest of the trip goes as smoothly as today did," he told Haikan while gazing into the newly lit flame, "we've got nothing to worry about." The acolyte turned to him and smiled, his eyes holding the warmth of the fire.

"I think this trip's going to be a big success, Haikan. You've put together an impressive operation here in just three months, and I can only see it going up from here. Thanks for letting me tag along; I'm really excited!" He paused for a moment, giving the captain a quizzical look. "Have you been to Bree or Pax Balthasar before, Haikan?"
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

"Indeed Anistis, this is a fine crew. Still, you shouldn't forget that yourself and Matiel, as well as my brother... You all helped put this together. I can't take all the credit." The elf smiled, returning the cheer that Anistis offered twofold. "Actually, I don't think I ever formally thanked you, or welcomed you to the group!" He offered his left hand to the acolyte, to shake. "Welcome to the team, Anistis."

"Have you been to Bree or Pax Balthasar before, Haikan?"

"I've been to Brie. Actually, I've been to Pax Balthasar as well- though I never spent a night in the city. Truth be told, I used to do quite a lot of traveling on my own until Mikail and Matiel showed up. Then we made this caravan, and I haven't left King's Court since, aside from our expeditions with the group."

Those days seemed so long ago. The adhiel may have seemed to Anistis like a seasoned adventurer, but many would laugh if they knew that Mikail was the only other adhiel he'd met. Circumstances led him to know an astoundingly infinitesimal amount of history regarding his mother nation, or even his race- and he was an adventurer (who'd been to a place as diverse as Pax no less!). That irony didn't bear mentioning however, and Haikan merely nodded in approval of Anistis' coming along. "You're a good guy Anistis, it'd be a shame if you didn't come."

As Fangwyrd finished his firework, the captain bowed his head slightly toward the dragon. "Thank you, sire."
Talis Fefelli
Civus

Post by Talis Fefelli »

Talis observed those around her. As the party painfully made their way out of the carts, she decided to stretch inside a moment to avoid the akward look of sleeping legs and possible falling flat on her face.

Once she felt confident that she would not make a fool of herself, she made her way out of the cart. She looked around for Brogan.

He must have gotten tired of walking...that or he is busy at work already.

She stood by the carts and wondered exactly what she could do to help. She hated to admit it, but a lot of people at once intimidated her. Afterall, they convinced a guard to let her keep her head and they let her tag along, she owed them her gratitude and possibly her life.

She caught sight of the little dragon making a fire as Haikan and Anistis were having a conversation. She decided to walk over to them and ask if they needed help with anything.

Excuse me sir Anistis and Haikan. Is there anything I can do to make the settling down for the night easier?

She was hopeful that they would have nothing for her to do, but that was something she highly doubted. Still, she put on a smile and gave a slight bow as she asked.

They need to trust me. I must be on my best behavior.
Brogan Gharnost
Civus

Post by Brogan Gharnost »

Brogan slowly opened his eyes, his body slightly chilled at the cooling wet air. It gets cold in the desert, very cold, but this moisture bit is going to take some getting used to. Lying on his side, Brogan made a move to get up, regretting the decision almost instantly. The pile of wood shifted beneath his hulking form, and it seemed as though a few splinters may have found their way into his legs with the movement. Gently settling back down, the behemoth closed his eyes and took a few deep breaths to shut out the pain. He opened his eyes again, and to his surprize, somewhere ahead of him there appeared to be a small fire kindling. As his eyes grew keener and the sleep slowly fell away from them he saw that the fire was quickly building. Good fire makers, the people of this clan. I wonder if the evening meal will be worth the coin I paid earl ...i ...er ... And that's when he saw it. The small red beast which seemed to be spewing fire from its mouth!

What followed thence was cacophonous to say the least.

A deep roaring expletive shouted in a strange tongue rent the heavens asunder.

Brogan's utter surprize and astonishment as such a strange creature caused him to sit bolt upright and jump backwards out of the cart, in a combination of alarm and astonishment, and land with a crash amidst a pile of wood on his back several feet away from the wagon and the tiny Fangwyrd, and a good height down. To those who turned and saw the whole ordeal it would seem most comical and terrifying, a giant of a man flying through the air, with a somewhat terrified and certainly confused expression on his face, disappear in a crash behind the wagon from whence he came only to appear a flicker later, pointing frantically at the miniature dragon, small logs falling from his dishevelled form, babbling on in a tongue known to those who roam the deserts of Amun Ra.

To make the spectre even stranger, it would seem as though a log had pinched a nerve at the base of the giant's back so that his standing wasn't so much standing as it was an intricate weave of attempting to stand, massive legs betraying a massive master, falling down in a spray of limbs, and attempting to again stand.

For those who could understand the half-giant's speech, the string of incoherent questioning and cursing in amazement and wonder would cause anyone listening to feel a little dirtier for having listened. Something about the "heaving after-birth of a half dead raptor possessing the soul of a tiny demon of the midday sand" might have been said, but no one can be absolutely certain, even Brogan would likely not remember what he said, end even if he did, he would deny it up and down.

Eventually surrendering after a full mark or more to sore limbs and a throat gone hoarse, Brogan collapsed on the ground, broad and bare chest heaving, kilt helter-skelter, eyes fluttering in a half-conscious daze.

Surely he had never seen the likes of Fangwyrd before. And more sure still, this would be a trip he would remember for quite some time.
Last edited by Brogan Gharnost on Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Truth that can be known is not Truth.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

As Brogan saw Fangwyrd, Fangwyrd saw Brogan. He's a behemouth! He thought to himself. He'd seen a number of half-giants in his days in Tazlure, they infrequently travelled to the city of King's Court from their distant homelands. However, this beast was a good deal larger than the ones he generally saw.

At first, the small dragon thought the half-giant might attack him, and he winced while pulling in a sharp inhale of oxygen to mix with the chemicals in his throat, but he held it. Inside his neck the fire burned and his scales glowed like a red hot ember. For those watching him, his wee little hands pulled into fists, and his tail stuck out to the right and behind him to be a proper rudder in case he should have to turn tail and run from Brogan after letting go of an initial fireball assault.

This didn't turn out to be the case, and after a burn of tirades, Fang understood and swallowed the fireball. The hot ember slid down his throat and settled to glow and fade in his stomach. "Ahh, yes, FEAR ME!" He said, his scales puffing up a bit around his neck as he stood up on his rear haunches. His razor sharp needle teeth bared. "For I am a formidable enemy, pawn!" His forelegs relaxed and he raised his claws in a mocking manner as he wiggled his digits and went: "OoooOooOOh!" as if directing ghost stories toward a child. "Heheheh," the dragon began to laugh a bit at his own audacity.
Anistis
The Tender

Post by Anistis »

When Haikan extended his hand for Ani to shake, a grin lit up the acolyte's face. Haikan, it appeared, was left-handed as well. He took the adhiel's hand and shook it vigorously, green eyes meeting green eyes. "Thanks, Haikan! Glad to be here."

He couldn't help but be impressed by the method Fangwyrd was using to light the fire. "That must be really useful, Mr. Fangwyrd," he said, showing greater deference to make up for his inadvertantly patronizing tone that morningtide. "Will you be needing some wood to keep that going, or have you got it covered?"

If there was any insincerity to Talis' offer of help, Anistis didn't notice. When she approached them and asked, Ani didn't miss a beat. "Well, I'm not sure, but I think we may need to go gather some wood to keep Mr. Fangwyrd's fire burning." He cast his eyes about as he ran a hand through his hair (which couldn't possibly have made it any messier than it already was at the moment). "Other than that... I dunno; anything else that needs to be done?" he asked, taking in both the elf and the dragon with an eager, inquisitive gaze.
Mikail
Civus

Post by Mikail »

Mikail stood by Haikan, still in a bit of a daze from his meditation. He wouldn't be sleeping tonight, so he had to get his rest out of the way. He'd never meditated in the middle of the day before, so he was still a little foggy. As soon as Haikan mentioned cooking he disappeared. After the fires were lit he came back with some pots and a few bags of assorted vegetables and grains. He poured water in the pots and then looked around. Hmm... I can't hold and stir all of these by myself.
Excuse me sir Anistis and Haikan. Is there anything I can do to make the settling down for the night easier?

"Talis, perhaps you could hold this pot over the fire for me? Anna, if you could hold this one that would be great. Anistis, perhaps you could take the last one? I'll cut up the vegetables and stir them into all the different pots." I think I'll save the meat for a few more days. We can live better on vegetables after just leaving our homes with good meals. If we eat it all now the unfilling remains will bring complaints later.

Mikail didn't take much of an original shining to Talis, mostly because she insulted his brother without reason and showed a lot of belligerence to the guard, but he still didn't feel he had any reason to feel contempt for her. Perhaps he could weigh her character a little more based on how well she took the favor he asked of her.

"The hungry men are waiting," he said with a half-smile, detectable through his scarf.
Belief without doubt is blindness. Open your eyes; [i]answer the questions, but do not be afraid to question the answers[/i]
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

For such a big guy, Brogan sure scares easy... Although admittedly Fangwyrd is quite a terrifying vision to behold. At first, Haikan's glorification of Fangwyrd was tongue-in-cheek, and meant to humor him at best. Lately - or rather since their conversation the night before, and without knowing the extent of his magickal prowess - the adhiel started to confuse the dragon's ego inflations with the reality of his abilities and reputation. Fang may seem far too eager to prove himself, but he really was an astoundingly powerful being, wasn't he?

"A misconception, I am sure... I hardly think there are any enemies among us. No need for you to fear, Brogan. Luckily, he is our friend." He smiled at Brogan, and Fangwyrd, both of whom were fearsome no doubt. The adhiel captain was going to suggest for Talis and Anistis to help Mikail, but it seemed his brother already handled that. In that case, Haikan was ready to step out with Fangwyrd and take a lesson.

As he was leaving he turned to his brother and placed a hand on his shoulder. "Mikail, is it safe for me to use a few more of your herbal supplements on Melissa? I think she is still quite ill, and I wouldn't mind giving her another dose of medicine after the fireside dinner." He wasn't a doctor, and he didn't even know what the supplements did. He wanted to help the girl, but if there was a danger of overdose he would certainly check with his brother first.

"Oh and brother," He had one more thing to say, and he quietly alerted Mikail of where he was going to be for the next half a mark or so. "Fangwyrd and I will return in time for dinner, we are going to be just outside if you need us." He nodded in the direction they intended to go, and then he offered his fist to meet Mikail's, after which they would turn their fists and push their hands beyond one another's wrists - hands back to back - to represent the breaking of a floodgate.

"Kshhh!"
Brogan Gharnost
Civus

Post by Brogan Gharnost »

Brogan lie on the ground, unaware of most of the world around him.

A red-haired adhiel stood above him, and the behemoth barely recognized the form of Haikan as he spoke:

Haikan wrote:A misconception, I am sure... I hardly think there are any enemies among us. No need for you to fear, Brogan. Luckily, he is our friend.

He had heard of dragons before, told to be wary of the great magickal beasts who were said to roam the deserts of Terra Incognita. But for yahren upon yahren, he had managed to escape the sight of such an allegedly fearful presence, even though for so long a time his home was their home.

What is it doing here? The humans and the others don't seem too frightened, if I am to believe that this beast has been with the clan since the beginning. Maybe their intentions are harmful, and they will use this demon to an ill and violent end. Careful observation is yet required to ascertain the true nature of this tiny menace. Silent and subtle observation from afar. It shall not escape my sight. I must learn its ways. At this the behemoth opened his eyes and adjusted his kilt as he lie on the ground. He recognized the ridiculousness of his position, and sat upright. Silently and momentarily meditating, Brogan regained his composure and harnessed control of his beleaguered body.

I must also learn to calm myself in the face the unexpected. That last outburst was unacceptable.

The Way is a way of ultimate acceptance and consideration. To better know the nature of the world, existence, and the Way, I should first start by seeking out what others show to me. Meditation on the essence of fear is needed. Perhaps I can get away for a bit tonight to ponder these things.

Logs were on the ground nearby, and Brogan carried them to the fire, warily watching the faces of those around him and the shape of the tiny Fangwyrd. The giant then sought out Haikan. "I desire a position as a night scout. I have observed the horns you give the men on their horses. I have a horn of my own." The slightly at his previous outcry, he reached into his bag and showed the large conch shell he carried. "Give me some bread and I can keep a vigilant watch on the downs around us. My size should be a testament to those who would wish us harm that these wheel trucks are not easy prey, and that there are deadly weapons to defend them." He thought entirely about Fangwyrd with the last statement, somewhat fearing yet revering the terrifying dragon.

Safety and solitude, two wonderful things. But what of solidarity? This clan could yet be a source of joy and love. All part of an infinite Way...
Last edited by Brogan Gharnost on Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Truth that can be known is not Truth.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

Fangwyrd had hoped a few other members of the group might join in on the laughter as he poked a bit of fun at the giant who was more scared than scary. Alas, that wasn't the case, and Fang gave a deep sigh, keeping close to Haikan's heel as he made excessive hand gestures with his half-brother. Bipeds... he inwardly mused while watching them.

Anna, looking at the pot, and then her thin little arms nodded. If it was what Mikail requested of her then she'd do her best. "Shame with all these lot around you don't have a single carpenter, do you?" She asked. "Wouldn't be difficult to make a pot crook, just a few of the straight pieces of wood and strong rope - or a metal hook. A metal hook would be better, really.. no chance of it getting too hot and burning," Anna suggeste with a smile, wondering if any of the others might be adventurous enough to give their hand at building the small structure. Anna watched patiently as Mikail worked on the food preparation.

Anyone else could gather wood, or set up seating around the fires by dragging around some of the flat rocks that littered the edges of the road.
Anistis
The Tender

Post by Anistis »

Anistis had found Fangwyrd's good-natured (or so the acolyte was disposed to assume) teasing of Brogan to be quite funny, but had stifled his laughter so as not to push the joke too far and hurt the half-giant's feelings. The majority of the population of King's Court was human, and Ani hadn't been exposed to much else, but these two were proof that senteint beings were sentient beings, and some things, at least, were always the same, regardless of race or upbringing.

Anistis gladly took hold of the third pot, holding it as steadily as was possible while Mikail did what he had to do.

"Yeah, a carpenter would be helpful, I suppose," he said. "We might be able to buy something to hold the pots when we get to Brie. We could try to cobble something together on our own, though, I suppose," he said, boyishly giggling at the thought of how a project like that would turn out with him at the helm. He hadn't even taken all that well to his father's business; Anistis wasn't exactly the best at working with his hands.

As Mikail worked, Ani began to realize that he was really quite hungry. While he hadn't felt the need to complain or really even think of it at the time, lunch had been somewhat unsatisfying. As if on cue, his stomach began to make funny noises.
Talis Fefelli
Civus

Post by Talis Fefelli »

Talis took hold of the pot that was motioned toward her. She considered speaking up and helping attempt the wooden structure that would hold the pots instead of her,but she figured the best thing would be to just keep her mouth shut and do the task at hand. Afterall, she did not make a good impression and in order to get these people to like her, she decided to push her pride aside for a while and be a presentable young lady remembering all her courtaseys.
She decided to try and make some small talk with the man cutting the veggies.

You appear to be a really good cook. That's the one thing my mother could never really teach me. It was always a sad day in the house hold when I was the one who had to cook.

Talis forced a giggle and a smile. She didn't really find her lack of cooking skills that funny in reality. Her mother would scowl at her and mummble under her breath about the uselessness of this girl.

She kept up the smile and held the pot with little complaint in hopes that this person would respond to her attempts of making conversation.

I need these people to trust me. For the sake of Brogan and for all the people of this land who follow a useless god. We need to work toward our goal and I need to be a good influence in order to make any type of impact on these people.

Talis smiled a bit more at that idea. A genuine smile. And for once, she actually looked genuinely pretty, with no tinge of sarcasm or secrecy.
Mikail
Civus

Post by Mikail »

Mikail handed Tallis a pot, and she responded graciously.

You appear to be a really good cook. That's the one thing my mother could never really teach me. It was always a sad day in the house hold when I was the one who had to cook.

"Thank you." I suck at cooking. I haven't cooked for her yet and she's still complimenting me, not to mention she's laughing at one of her failures. I must have judged her too harshly. She must have just been tired when she snapped on the guard. Here I was thinking she was an anarchist- though I'm still not ruling that out. I wish to know everyone's position regarding the One.

"I'm sure you could cook just fine if you put your mind to it," he said, knowing that it was a naiive thing most likely to be expected out of the mouth of Anistis. People know their limits, and this would be know exception. Still, he wanted to say something kind, and that's all he could think of. I should at least let her think we're friends. She doesn't deserve an evil eye yet.

He looked at the bags of vegetables and grains. I suck at cooking... yet it always turns out ok... I think my skills in alchemy somehow make my cooking better, but I don't think it's magic- it couldn't be. I know nothing of magic. Who knows? Maybe I'm just lucky. Hope the boys like this one tonight.
Belief without doubt is blindness. Open your eyes; [i]answer the questions, but do not be afraid to question the answers[/i]
Matiel Escariot
Civus
Location: In a place surrounded by farms I my family does not own.

Post by Matiel Escariot »

He was happy he could see the stars. It was only in places not crowded by stone and grit that the stars could show their faces again. He wondered why a man of his bearings could only notice them here, now, away from where he was born. Was he free this way? Was he free at all, this way?

It seems as though those lights from yonder heavens shining through the thickest blanket of night could rub away to dust and nothing everything that weighed down on his shoulders and his head. It was as if he had forgotten every piece of a plot or puzzle he had created since the day he gave birth to himself. It was truly as if he was free. It was truly as if only the stars were there for him and everything else did not exist. It was as if he would never care again, to overhear Anna's voice beyond the edges of this wagon.

He slowly rose to a seat and crossed his legs. He had been writing the entire way, until the day ended and his light was gone. He had been somewhat satisfied with what he was able to do, but like any man who loved letters, nothing was ever enough. Hiding it back in its proper place in his satchel was the only other thing to do after that. Dropping on his back and staring into the darkening sky was an act without reason. His body just felt like it, and with nothing on his mind to dictate otherwise, his body moved easily to it.

Anna's voice was quick to rouse him back to the job at hand. He had been dreaming with his eyes wide open for quite a while. Feeding is the next order.

He peered over the edge of the wagon's roof and realized that no one actually noticed that he was there. He smiled at that. A space where no one could realize where you were was a happy place to be. He lifted his entire gait over the edge and dangled a leg beneath him while most of his body was still seated on the carriage.

"Anna," he called out to her first as her idea was the one that brought him out of his trance, "Mathias, go fetch me a large knife and large stones. Use your brains in finding what I asked for. You don't need wood for the crook. I can make one for you with just what I said. I'm not a carpenter but I know a thing or too, if not a lot."

Matiel slipped off the edge fully, squarely landing with a softened thud right next to Haikan and his pet. It looked like a pet. He had heard of the attention it garnered. He'll move on to accounting Haikan for it when he had the time.

"You don't mind do you Mikail?" he asked the elf out of respect and professional courtesy, "If I borrow your assistant for that little errand? I'll help you out if need be, but I think she and Mathias could find what I need better than I could myself."
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

Haikan was ready, and he offered a thumbs-up to Fang. "I think we're ready to roll." The elf waved farewell to everyone, and he turned towards the direction he'd just pointed out to Mikail, walking away and humming a traveling tune.

Time for things to heat up! No sense in dilly-dallying, 'cause I'm in it to win it! The elf clenched his fingers into a heroic fist in front of him as he walked, and his excitement was matched with a bold expression on his face. He intended to leave the encampment an elf, and return as a young magician.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"Oh! Master Anistis, I'm sure you could make something perfect if you gave yourself the time," Anna said with a smile to his boyish laughter. He seemed younger when he wasn't talking about God. Anna enjoyed that. "Hahaha, listen to your stomach!" She continued laughing at his expense, the contents of her pot shifting as she did so. "Oh, I better be careful. Don't want to lose our dinner into the fire. Everyone would be very angry at me I think." Even still, she smiled.

Sadly for Brogan, Fangwyrd and Haikan departed for a private lesson in magick, but there were still plenty of people around to talk with. Perhaps the adhiel had been so caught up in his interest of magick that he didn't hear the large man's request? It was a poor telling of the young captain if he was missing such large rumbling voices. Another young man, a lieutenant smiled at the big guy. "Hey, he's all caught up in his little friend there. I heard you offer help for the evening. I'm in charge of the night squad and you're welcome to join the ranks if it suits you. We won't say no to an extra set of eyes - especially ones so high off the ground." He gave a genuine smile and a gentle bow.

Anna and Mathias startled at Matiel's sudden appearance. Mathias nodded to his mentor. "Yes, sir. Knife.. stones." He repeated as if jotting them down in a log in his mind. He had an analytical mind and it was best suited for less physical tasks but he was willing to do what he was requested and set down what he had been working on in favor of finding the things he was instructed to find. Within a few burns he returned with a blade tucked in his belt and carrying an arm load of stones. "There's more, I'll be back," he said as he dropped them near the fire for Matiel to do with what he pleased and then turned on his heal to collect more rocks as demanded.

The young Anna, on the other hand, frowned. She had no problems helping Matiel with whatever it was he needed, but she also had her job to do which consisted of very little excepting for assistance with food preparation. "Once dinner is done?" She asked. "It won't be long once you've made a crook for the pots." The girl smiled.

On Mikail's end the food was coming along well, and once the water had some heat it would be ready for adding vegetables and grains. Perhaps it would even be fitting to add some manner of herbs or spices? That would, of course, depend on the cook's taste and what he had with him.
Anistis
The Tender

Post by Anistis »

Anistis could feel the blood rushing to his face when Anna made fun of his gurgling stomach.

"Yeah," he said with a chuckle, "I suppose I was more hungry than I realized." He eyed his own pot and turned his gaze to Mikail. "I'm sure that this'll be nice and satisfying, though! By the way," he said, addressing Anna again, "You don't need to call me 'Mister Anistis.'" Heck, even "Brother Anistis" sounded a little overly formal to the acolyte most of the time. "Just 'Anistis' will do just fine."

When Haikan and Fangwyrd departed, Ani was slightly dissapointed. The truth was, after all the work was done, he'd been hoping to corner the captain for a little practice with the foil he'd been given the previous day. He wasn't sure where they were off to, but he was sure it was more important than his little fencing lesson, so the boy wasn't too bothered.

"Alright, then; good luck Haikan, Mister Fangwyrd!" The irony of how easily he slipped into the use of honoriffics himself was lost on Anistis.

He was happy to see Matiel out and about. He hadn't spoken with the scholarly young man over the course of the day's journey. "Good eveningtide, Matiel! I'll give you a hand, too- or two hands, even, once mine are free!" Ani hoped it could wait; he really hated it when he was torn between two people in need of assistance. He took opportunities to help out seriously, no matter how trivial the task.
Mikail
Civus

Post by Mikail »

Mikail's eyes hung on Brogan as Haikan left without noticing his question. Oh, brother, don't get so zealous that you forget the real reason you're here!

"Keep doing what you're doing, Anna, Anistis, and Talis, you're all doing fine. I'm going to come around and add a little something I prepared for the vegetable dish." He pulled out one of his countless vials, but this one was bigger, and the contents looked more like green yogurt than anything. He whispered quietly between the three helping him cook as he dosed a little in.

"I made this from a couple things, including turkey fat, milk, and garlic. It's a little mix I suppose that seems to make these night meals a lot better, disgusting as it may look. We don't have that much food, but this looks to curb people's appetites a little bit on the first night. Perhaps it's just the illusion of making the soup milky that makes it look and feel more filling, but the men seem to like it a lot, and they sleep real well when I put this in. However, I only bring enough for the first night because it gets lumpy and gross after two days." They probably didn't realize how much boldness it took Mikail to tell them this, because a lot of his concoctions don't make sense at first, and sometimes only work because of illusions like the one he just described. That should do it. "If you could stir the soup for a few more burns that would be great, I'm going to excuse myself for a flicker."

Mikail walked over to Brogan, and spoke in the quiet but attentive way he does when he's first meeting people. "Forgive my brother, he's been working night and day to prepare this, and his little friend, shall we say, has made a deal with him to come along that requires a mite of exclusive attention? It's not everyday one can convince a dragon to accompany them on a venture such as this." He lifted his own horn that Haikan had given him. "You know, since I take my brother's place at night, your extra help would be very appreciated. If I trusted anyone in this universe at all, perhaps I might suggest you take the allotment of time between my brother and I so that he can rest more. However, don't feel excluded. It's my best effort to be fair to everyone by distrusting them all equally." My efforts at small talk with strangers could use a little work... "Still, I don't doubt your perceptive abilities, considering how aware you constantly seem to be. I'm relieved that you and Talis desire to be helpful. There's enough freeloaders in this world that would be willing to take advantage of my brother's unfathomable kindness." Fortunately, I'm here to poison their food if they ever come along. He gave a slight bow, and then turned to keep an eye on the cooking.
Last edited by Mikail on Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Talis Fefelli
Civus

Post by Talis Fefelli »

Talis continued to hold the pot with her study arms. Mikail had come about with a vial of something that had the consistency of swamp water and told them that it make the food taste better...but she was a bit put off by the appearance of the substance.

Talis being informed that it was for a vegatable dish was saddened. There had been no mention of meat and she sighed with a hunger that she knew would not be satisfied. That day's mid day meal had been less than satisfying and now she was silently cursing herself for losing her temper with the guards and getting stuck in the caravan instead of being allowed passage into the city.
Right now, I could be sitting in a tavern with a good ale and a fine meaty stew.

With that thought her stomach made a violent grumble that she was certain could be heard through out the camp. She blushed and turned her gaze onto Mikail.

My stomach seems to think that the vial of whatever is the most wonderful thing in the world.

She managed to force giggle but felt stupid soon afterwards. How she hated the tricks she had to use to get on someone's good side. Men were so stupid when it came to a pretty face. She was beautiful afterall and a giggle was more appealing than her usual scowl.

Talis looked up at the darkened sky and noticed how vast it seemed. It had been a while since she looked at the sky. She wondered where Jon was. They had often looked at the stars in her home town. Talis was saddened by the memory but refused to submit. She had to keep her smile.

It is the only way to gain the trust of these people. The better trust, the easier it will be to talk about the pressing religious matters at hand.

One tear slipped from her eye. Jon had been the one who encouraged her to take a stand and ask questions. She was doing his work and missed him all the more.

[/i][/quote]
Last edited by Talis Fefelli on Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"Hehehe, more hungry indeed," Anna said to Ani. "Oh, sorry.. Anistis. Ok, I can do that... I'm used to it though, to 'misters' and 'ma`m's'... hard to break habits, you know?" Even still, she held the pot over the fire, and tried to concentrate on calling him Anistis and not Mister Anistis. When he called Fangwyrd the same she laughed outright. "Haha, and you say I shouldn't call you mister but you do the same for him, what's the difference?" It wasn't a question looking for an answer, more one to poke fun.

Anna's nose scrunched as Mikail added the strange substance to the boiling pot. "It looks sort of icky.." she said, but she stirred it in anyway.

While Matiel was busy deciding how to put the rocks on top of one another to create some manner of hook for the pots, the fire continued to burn and Mikail added ingredients as required. It was a vegetable soup, one filled with a number of tubers and greens and would provide all the necessary bits to keep them filled. Partnered with some more of the traveling bread and it would be a suitable meal - one that was sans-meat, but still filling and enough to get them through the night and into the following morning. Once everything was in the pot, it was easy to do the stirring and within a short time the first two pots were ready, it would take a few more to fill the crowds hunger, but shortly there after this, too, was done, until everyone was gathered around small fires with hot clay bowls in their hands and wooden spoons (for those who brought them) for digging into the thin broth and for fishing out the chunks of vegetables.

With the meal preparation out of the way Anna sat comfortably next to Anistis while waiting for either Matiel or Mikail to call on her again. She'd somewhat snubbed Matiel in favor of finishing her assignment of cooking, but, she would eat quickly if that's what he wanted of her. "Do you want my bread?" She offered to Ani.

Off in the field, some forty or so paces away from the circle of wagons there flared a great light. It was a round orb, exploding like fire. It was intense in color, being purple in the center and orange along the edges. A figure was silohoutted in it's brightness, but almost as soon as it had appeared it was gone, leaving any who saw it to wonder if they'd seen anything at all, or whether it was just a flight of fancy or mental apparition.

Return to “Kings Court”