Hafne: The Wooden Gates

Moderators: Vanadius, Mods

Maeve
The Dragon & Game Designer

Hafne: The Wooden Gates

Post by Maeve »

In nothing does Hafne resemble the splendid city of Dort. From afar all one can see is the dark chimneys billowing grey smoke in the air, blanketing everything in a thick smoke that smells of fish.

The town, always one of the poorer parts of Dort, and only recently gaining some fame among traders for the Whiskey of Islay, is but protected by a wooden wall of spikes.

Two simple guards, their chainmail their only decoration on their green tunics stand below the shield of Hafne, which shows the proud grain of the whiskey and the stylized fishing ship and finally an ass. The animal was subject of many jokes in Hafne. It was said it represented the stubborness of the highland clans in the hills surrounding Hafne.
Last edited by Maeve on Sat Feb 15, 2003 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kinlock Levan

Post by Kinlock Levan »

Kinlock knew his 5'10" height and 182lbs of muscle wouldn't be missed by the guards and wanted to ensure that he looked an imposing sight on his approach to the gates. Dressed as a typical clansman in his Donovan tartan kilt, broadsword strapped to his back, dagger and short sword at his waist and his satchel over his shoulder.
He stopped a respectful distance from the guards. His father had sent him on a mission to see how the rebellion plans were faring in Hafne, but he was not to get into trouble, and to definitely hold his temper if insulted.
That last he knew would be the most difficult, and he hoped that it would be a promise he could keep.

He looked at the guards, each in turn then spoke, "Well Met my friends, I wish to enter the fair city of Hafne, may I do so"?
Last edited by Kinlock Levan on Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

"Who are ye then?" the guard, from his red orange looks an O'Toole, asked "An' what be your business?"

The other guard finished his work with another guest and turned to the couple as well "''Ave you heard of what 'appened to Nazareen clansman of Donovan?"
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]
Kinlock Levan

Post by Kinlock Levan »

Kinlock was a little taken aback by the guardsmen's to the point question, and frowned a little at his mention of the Donovan clan.
"My name", he was about to say if it was any business of an O'Toole clan, but kept himself controlled, "My name sir is Kinlock Levan, of the Donovan Clan, and I have no knowledge of what you talk about, Nazareen Donovan you say", Kinlock shook his head, "No, that strikes no memory in me".
He took a step closer, his eyes flicking from one to the other, trying to be ready for anything.
"Now, May i enter?, I am only here visiting, having never been in the city".
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

OOC: That shall teach me to use comma's properly ;)

IC: The Guardsman laughed out loud and clapped Kinlock on his back "Ye are funny, clansman of Donovan. Yer tartan already marked ye of the clan. I was niya suggestin' there be Donovans in Nazareen though. Tell me, my lad, what do ye know of the happenings at Nazareen, since ye seem to be coming from yonder mountains. We've had nothin' but bad rumors, don't ya know? Dwarves seem to enter in groups, to shocked to be tellin us what is happenin' "

The other man was quickly writing a pass and handed it to Kinlock, waiting for an answer to his fellow.
Last edited by Maeve on Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]
Morgan Liffey

Post by Morgan Liffey »

Morgan grinned as the briney scent of fish, soot and haggard, drunken clansmen teased at her nostrils. "Hafne... yet again...," she thought, "good luck trying to find so much as a decent raft around these parts, eh?"

Sardonically saluting the two clansmen, she squinted while heaving a bag of assorted belongings once more over her shoulder. It gave her a sort of hunched appearance as a result. She wore no kilt nor crest, and the manly garb she did would most certainly raise a brow to those fellahs so secure in their given sexual identities.

"Nice Ass."
Last edited by Morgan Liffey on Tue Oct 19, 2004 2:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

The guard who had slapped Kinlock on his back openly gaped at the woman. In Islay the men were daring and rough, but the ladies.... well, the gentlemen tended to have a conservative view on what was proper for the ladies, even though the women themselves may not always have agreed and were rumored to be stubborn and free fought nonetheless. At Morgans explicit remark a red blush appeared on the mans face.

"Milor.. Milady.." the other guard stuttered, "Were be ye goin'? The rough city of Hafne ain't no place fer a woman." He recovered slightly and added "I'll be needin' yer name and yer purpose to visitin' the town."
Kinlock Levan

Post by Kinlock Levan »

Kinlock looked the woman who just came in up and down, Rugged sort, but not bad looking I suppose he thought. Not sure as to who she was alluding to with her comment, he thought it best not to comment. He turned to reply to the guard, as he took his pass from the other, nodding his thanks.
"Ah Nazareen, strange things are going on there it seems", his voice turned almost to a whisper as he slipped into what he called his storytelling voice, "It is rumoured evil creatures abound the place, no one dare travel alone, and those that do are never seen again".
Standing straight he spoke normally, "Thank you for the pass, I will tell of the friendliness of the O'Toole's to my clansmen on my return. Now could you suggest a place to stay for a while here? not too expensive though as my funds, like any clansmans, are limited".
Morgan Liffey

Post by Morgan Liffey »

Morgan laughed haughtily. "No lord or lady of yours I'll be, at least until your Anochrim sees the error of his ways," she grined, comically implying that his majesty might have anything to do with the 'common' likes of her...

She felt emboldened, somewhat, at their discomfort with her appearance. "Mor...," she began to say, biting her tounge almost as soon as the sounds had escaped her scarlet lips. "Morrigan O'Malley, I'd be," she lied. These clansmen were incredibly interconnected, as even a foreigner like her could observe. "No use in letting that lout know where I be off to," she thought, of her up-until-recently captor... the damned rat that sank her beautiful ship. "That bastard!" Morgan cursed inwardly, "...I'll kill him, one of these days... No matter how big the rock he'd like to put on me finger... No one crosses Morgan Liffey unscathed!"

"But I be afraid of no rat nor ruffian within these walls," boasted Morgan, whose worn, muddy boots dug in as she puffed out her chest stoutly. "My only business here be the business of finding a ship due for western shores."
Last edited by Morgan Liffey on Wed Oct 20, 2004 2:34 am, edited 3 times in total.
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

OOC: as you both hopefully realize you can hear and see each other. However for easy of use I've cut your post in half with a section for each.

*Kinlock*

The guard nodded eagerly with a somewhat freightened face, like a child enjoying horror stories "Aye, we've been hearing those rumors too. The count will be listening to a report on it in the Clans house this eveningtide, tis said. I wonder what will come of it."

As he handed Kinlock his pass the O'Toole clansman added "Yer looking fer The Dalliant Sword Inn. Not the best sort, but its cheap."

*Morgan*
The young guard laughed despite himself at Morgan's sally about the Caesar, realizing belatedly that her previous remark was not directed at his behind, but the beatiful shield that was the but of many other jokes. Besides, the Imperial authorities were not populair in the mountainous area, not even if they were named Anochrim.

"O'Malley, eh?" he said as he wrote down her name. His green eyes narrowed in suspicion for a moment, then he let it go. What business was it if the lady was using a disguise. She'd be moving on soon anyway. "In the harbor ye will find lots of ships mil.. Morrigan." He gave her tentative smile as she puffed up her chest, appreciative of the looks she so clearly displayed despite her petite figure. "Would ye care for a drink at the Dalliant Sword this eveningtide? My name is Geran O'Toole" He grinned impishly at her, his freckles almost lightning up together with his bright orange hair.

OOC: both of you are free to roam the city. You can post everywhere, except back in time. Remember your timestamp is Samheen 18th :)
Last edited by Maeve on Wed Oct 20, 2004 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stahl'Or approaching the gates

Post by Guest »

After a long walk Stahl was relieved to finally see the gate of Islay. Sweat was pouring down his back within his plate armour. "I'll be so very relieved to get out of this armour for the day", he thought. <p>
Looking up at the structure before him, Stahl couldn't help start thinking about how to improve the gates and walls of Islay. His keen interest in everything to do with architecture just took over. Sinking away in thoughts of spikes, butrusses and false doorways he strolled on towards the gate. "Maybe if they built a broad ledge on top of the wall complete with holes to pour molten rock through it. Hmm, I might have to show them how to melt it, though. Perhaps they use some other material in the same manner. I should check that out. Some downward bent spikes might be helpfull as well, made of the best steel available of course" <p>
Stahl's thoughts kept rambling on and on in this manner. So much, that he didn't notice the guards in the gaping mouth of the gate. Turning and twisting his moustache into an impressive tangle, he walked on, passing the guards, oblivious to the world. "The gate is too open as it stands, there should be some kinda cul de sac right behind it to stop advancing enemies dead in their tracks..."
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

Samheen 18th, late morningtide

"Halt right there laddy," a friendly yet stern voice behind him said, a firm hand on his shoulder, "Where do ya think ye are goin'? Aye, I know there are a lot of refugees from Nazareen about, but ya do need to register here at the gate before I can let ya in. Now then...please state yer name and yer business in Hafne."

OOC: Welcome to this fair isle!
Currently we have a plotline running about dwarves having been forced out of Nazareen because of an attack on their kingdom by dark and sinister forces. They are fleeing to their closest ally which happens to be Islay. If you want to be part of this group of dwarves please PM me and I'll give you some background info on that. If you want to be surprised by what happened in Nazareen, then pretend you have been doing some travelling and this is the first word from home ;)
Last edited by Maeve on Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

OOC: Let's just say I've been traveling around a bit. I'm not that worldly and got lost a half a dozen times at least :wink: .

IC:
Being rather roughly ripped out of his daydream about a greater Islay, Stahl"Or looked up into the not unkind face of a city guard. "Where in the Mothers name did this fellow come from?", he thought, "And what did he say? Refugees from Nazareen?"<p>
With a confused look on his face, Stahl tried to gather his thoughts. In order to get some clarity, he fired off a barrage of questions in the guard's face: "People fleeing from Nazareen? I left there quite some time ago. What happened? Is there something amiss?"
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

"We're not sure laddy, there be a clansmeeting this eveningtide to establish that," the guard noted drily, seeing yet another excited dwarf "Ye not be from Nazareen then, lately that is? Most of the refugees 'ave been temporarily lodged in town, but I'd go to an Inn if ya are not one of 'em. Resources be stretched as it is. The Dalliant Sword Inn I would recommend. Not too expensive. " He held up his quill and parchement "Yer name, and yer business in Islay, if ya please?"

Post by Guest »

Looking at the guard Stahl tried to win back his calm. Indeed the friendly city guard did not resemble the great Mother in any way, so why would he know all answers to his queries. <br>
Gathering his thoughts he answered the guards questions: "My name is Stahl'Or and I'm looking to broaden my horizon on matters of architecture and the art of war." Realizing he sounded a bit puffy, Stahl added with a sheepish grin on his face: "Actually I'm also looking to get a job as my purse begins showing his bottom to me a bit too often, lately."<br>
Awaiting the answer of the guard, Stahl made a mental note of his previous remarks about oppurtunities to find lodgings for the night. "The Dalliant Sword, he said, not expensive he said. That might be just the place I'm looking for. Hopefully there is a possibility of finding a job as well."
<br>
OOC: Thanx for the reply to my post. I was beginning to wonder about that. But forgetting is humanly...or something. Doesn't it sound better in dutch :D ?
The Dalliant Sword Inn - Samheen 18th Tradetide is the place where you can find Stahl'Or from now on, if that's one of the threads you meant :?: .
Last edited by Guest on Sat Dec 11, 2004 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

The guard wrote down a few things on a sheet of parchement, and then handed the dwarf his permit "Aye, lofty goals that be. Yet in these dark times, ye might find yerself lucky. The count and da clans will be wantin' to hire warriors. There is rebellion brewin if you know what I mean."

Now that was nothing new. There was always a rebellion of some sort brewing in the minds of the hotheaded clansmen that left up in the mountains, close to Nazareen. They never held much regard for the lowlanders led by the Duke. Yet somehow the guards words were filled with a touch of seriousness, as if things were more than folklore.

The guard gave the dwarf a final friendly nod "Yer free to enter the town, laddy. Take care of yerself."

Post by Guest »

Taking firm hold of his permit. Stahl nodded his thanks. "So everybody seemed out to hire warriors, but that seemed the case most of the time", he thought,"well, I can only keep my ears open to serious offers. Until then I'd better go and find the Dalliant Sword Inn."<br>
"Thanks for yer advice. I could end up with a job after all! But first things first, I'll go and find that Inn you mentioned." having said this, Stahl said his goodbyes and was on his way through the gates of Islay.
Marcus O'Shea

Eveningtide, Samheen 18th

Post by Marcus O'Shea »

Marcus cracked a grin as the gates came into view, and his belly rumbled in response. His hunger reminded him that perhaps he was not quite as ready to live in the wilderness as he had originally thought. "Besides," he thought to himself, "I stink like me father's old sandals."

As he grew nearer the town, the young man's nose wrinkled and he became less concerned with his own foul scent. "Mother Earth ... I dinnae know such a smell could be on th' world..." he muttered.

He noted that the guard was not yet aware of his approach, and briefly considered the chance to test his skill by sneaking into town. His belly growled again, reminding him of past over-confidence, and he thought better of it. And so Marcus strolled up the gate, whistling a tune off-key. He must have looked quite a sight wandering in from the closing fog, dirty, half-starved, in kilt and hooded cloak. He squinted in the torchlight and held a hand to his eyes.

"Ho there! I be needin' a roof over me head an' a hot meal. And maybe a bit o' soap to drag across me ar- uh, arm... Will ye let me pass?"

Post by Guest »

Figures cloaked against the chill mist were not such an unusual sight for the guardsmen. However, there were few enough of Marcus's folk in the city that his tartan drew a questioning glance. The guards by coloring and there own woolen sashes were Clan O'Toole.
"Ay! Welcome, ye'are Clansman. Good to see yer folk sent someone to the Meet."
He wrinkled his nose a bit at the roadweary O'Shea lad's smell.
"You'll be wantin' t'clean up then. Dalliant Sword's cheapest 'n' safest for ye. Let's get yer full name so's I c'n write a pass fer ye."
Marcus O'Shea

Post by Marcus O'Shea »

The big lad nodded and smiled. "I's be Marcus O'Shea, and I thankee fer yer welcome."
He stroked his stubbled chin as he waited, his brow wrinkled as though deep in thought.

"A Meet, ye say? I 'aven't 'erd talk o' such, bein' many days on the road. For wha' are they gatherin?"

Post by Guest »

“You’ve got a lot of catchin’ up to do, Marcus O’Shea. but we’ve duty here. Likely ye’ll find words aplenty at the Sword. And ye’d best hurry so’s not to be too late to the Meet.”

(OOC: Please post at the Dalliant Sword. You may also join in at the House of Clans - assume that you’ve had time to bathe and such, which is the reason you’ll be arriving late in the meeting. If you have any questions about any of this, please PM me or post in the OOC forum. Welcome!)
Marcus O'Shea

Post by Marcus O'Shea »

With a simple nod of thanks and a wave, Marcus passed through the gate. He stopped once to surrepticiously sniff at an armpit, and crinkling his brow again, made for the Daliant Sword.
Celius

Celius

Post by Celius »

Dusk: 18th of Samheem

<p>Slowly the stranger, clad in his hood walks to the great oaken gates of Hafne. His step is slow, and silent, and the very shadow that is cast upon him seems to just fade into the darkness, leaving only the deep brown coloration of his cloak showing, as well as a bit of his face. Nothing clanks, or makes noise within his cloak. No glimmering or shining of any weapon or armor could be seen. Nothing could be heard. If someone were to intently listen, perhaps then they might hear the suttle beat of his heart or slow inhale and exhalation of his breath. Whisps of wavy brown hair, blew in the wind.

<p>As the sun moved slowly down the horizon the stranger seemed almost to disappear. He still slowly walked to the gates. Keeping the pace of a slow steady walk foreward, hood of the cloak shadowing his eyes. He approached the gates of the city, within range of the guards. He stopped brushing his cloak aside and bowing.

<p> "Good eve noble guardsmen" were the quiet words that echoed out of the strangers mouth. He stood there waiting for a reply. He wished to get into the city, It had been another long day of searching, with no good luck yet. Hopefully his searching would not be in vain.

<p> "I wish to get into the city." He sighed and saying, face still expressionless. Shrugging a bit, he awaited the guards answer.Then, as he was looking around he discovered something. The way the moon shined casting a shadow of the wall onto the ground, right behind the sentry. Before the guard could say anything, he said to the guard on his left: "A word of advice friend, the shadow that the wall casts on your left side when the moon arises, is quite open. you might want to be more vigilant on your watch, it's an easy get by... You could catch some intruders, if by chance the need ever arises, easily if you moved back and stood more towards the shadow...or stationed another guard there." He stood still again,finished talking,and was now silent, awaiting the response from the guards. His lips curled up revealing white teeth, grinning a bit, wondering if he had sounded a little too know it all. But he was just doing this in good intrest. The guards seemed like relatively nice ellows, not menacing in any way. He wouldn't want to ever hear of anyone getting needlessly hurt by an unseen intruder.

<p> (first real post! Hope you like it.)
Last edited by Celius on Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:37 am, edited 5 times in total.

Post by Guest »

The two guards were grumbling about "extra duty" when Celius approached. However, his odd manner and strangely out-of-place bowing gesture caught their attention immediately.

They looked to each other for a flicker before the one on the left, a burly looking older man with an unkempt beard, advanced to meet the newcomer. He was about to ask a question when Celius volunteered to point out a "weak spot" in the city's defenses. Anger burned bright in his eyes and a hand went to the haft of the axe at his side.

"And who're ye?"

The other guard, a little younger and quite a bit taller than the first, stood his position with his long double-bladed axe at the ready. The shadow from his helm hid his face.
Celius

Post by Celius »

Celius grinned a bit as the guard fumed at his observation. "I am Celius. My last name is Simply "Lowlan". I wish to get into the city to further my journey to find a mentor to teach me in the wyas of scouting. He didn't seem alarmed by the aggressive state the guards stood in, axes ready.

<p>"I reassure you gentlemen, I wish you, nor the city any harm. I am just a man, not unlike yourselves. And do you reallly Think that I could take on two heavily armored axe-wield , chainmail clad trained men like yourselves?

<p>" He smirked folding over his arms. "Like I said, the city is where I wish to go, and for just , and legal purposes I assure you fine gentlemen."

Return to “Dort Archive”