Entrance thread of Tobias T`shengal

Moderator: Mods

Maeve
The Dragon & Game Designer

Entrance thread of Tobias T`shengal

Post by Maeve »

The soft brush of the salty air finally wakes you up. There is sand between your fingers. A beach! The rushing sound of the gentle waves breaking a few yards from where you lay sprawled on the sand confirms your suspicions. Your mind is empty and you have absolutely no clue how you landed here.

As you look around you see the beach is empty. In the distance some gigantic crabs scurry away. Your eyes kid you not, they are indeed as big as pigs, with vicious claws to match. But they seem more scared of you than you are of them.

In between the gentle dunes, with fair tops of waving seagrass, that mark the end of the beach you notice a small path. At the beginning of the path you see several items on the ground, shining metal sparkling in the sunlight. A small awkwardly written notice says

"Please leave all weapons here. Beyond this point the gods will provide."
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]
Tobias T`shengal

Post by Tobias T`shengal »

Tobias blinks, groans, and climbs to his feet to look around him in some confusion. His mind slowly absorbs the facts that he is on a beach, that there are crabs of mythical proportions roaming the area, and that luckily no sand has gotten into his clothing.
<br><br>
He takes a deep breath and stands still for a moment, sliding into complete awareness as his thoughts clear and his mental processes reboot. "I'm on a beach. Beach. Crabs. Beach." He says it out loud, repeating the words until he decides he's fairly comfortable with what his senses are telling him. He begins walking toward the sign and the path.
<br><br>
Upon reaching them, he reads the sign over. Then again. An idea, the seed of a revelation, takes root in his head. A slow smile creeps across his face as he realizes just which beach he is standing on. "...so my prayers have been answered. Illuminatus, I thank you now for this chance to repay you for all you have given me, and hope that I shall not fail to serve you in whatever way you see fit."
<br><br>
His smile still glowing, he unstraps his longsword and sheath from his belt and tosses them onto the ground near the sign, followed by twin stilettos produced from his clothing, on of which is also sheathed. Shouldering his backpack with a little more resolve, he steps forward and heads on up the path.
Maeve
The Dragon & Game Designer

Post by Maeve »

As Tobias walked up the path he was now on, he passed by large fields. In the distance there were well tended fields, replete with crops gently swaying in the mild breeze that swept the Isle. Although he could see people working, he felt himself drawn along the path, and could not veer away to investigate these fields, or the attendant farmers.

Soon Tobias found himself approaching a collection of white buildings. The path ended on a dusty square, in front of what was clearly the centrepiece of the settlement, if one could call it that. The entrance, marked by two huge marble pillars, had no doors, only a deep, inviting darkness, that pulled at his very soul to enter, in fact Tobias found the pull of the entrance almost unbearable.
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]
Tobias T`shengal

Tobias pauses, before the entrance. He looks around with the mild surprise of one who accepts what he sees mostly because of a small and crudely lettered sign proclaiming that the gods will provide. After a moment he shakes off a slight sense of foreboding and walks quickly into the darkness.
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

As Tobias entered the hall his eyes were drawn to the middle of the temple, where light fell in through the roof. There was a pool right under it, sparkling in the sunlight. As his eyes adjusted to the darkness he saw four small channels run away from the pool, where overflown water would be easily drained. At the far end of the pool a large decorative construction hang over the pool, almost like an aquaduct. The darker coloring than the rest of the stone suggested water flowed regularly from its top, about ten metres high.

But not now. Everything was quiet, hushed, waiting....
Tobias T`shengal

He stops now, glancing warily around him, a feeling of anticipation palpable to him, making him fidget slightly. Not knowing what else to do, he kneels down before the pool and mutters a short, awkward, yet heartfelt prayer to Illuminatus for guidance as to the path before him.
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

As Tobias' eye adjusted to the light further, he noted the blue mosaic that was down in the pool, swirling in geographic forms. The water was probably about half a human's height, making it comfortable for bathing. Yet the atmosphere was so solemn, it hardly seemed an appropriate thought.

Suddenly his head was filled with a gurgling sound, and within seconds water streamed down from the decorative structure with such force as to create a strong waterfall. The rush of sound filled his ears and it was as if just beyond his capability of hearing a thousand voices filled his head.
Tobias T`shengal

The rushing noise fills his head as he peers at the sudden explosion of water, and he gets to his feet, wondering if his prayer has been answered. He closes his eyes, trying to make out the myriad voices swirling through his head.
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

As the waters of the pool calmed, a soft dry cough drew Tobias' eyes to a woman in a simple white robe standing to the right. Had she been there before? The woman was old and slightly bend, wrinkles cracking up her coarse face. Certainly she was no beauty. Yet she waited serenely, peace radiating from her face and her hands folded in front of her.

When she saw that the young half breed had noticed her she smiled "Blesseth are the new. The gods talk to you, my son. Are you ready to learn how to listen?"
Tobias T`shengal

Tobias blinks and swallows, startled. Then he seems to find some new confidence, and smiles a little. He nods with resolve. "Yes. I am ready."
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

The old lady watches the young half breeds face display his emotions, and the momenary loss of poise, before bowing her head slightly to the youngster. When she raised it again clear grey eyes stared out at Tobias, eyes that seemed to strike to the very core of his soul. Not that you would call them predatory or dangerous, just knowing with the knowledge of ages behind them.

"I can see you are ready to listern my child. Cast off your mortal garments and enter the pool of the Oracle. Call to your god and let them speak too you, listern to what they have to say, and be prepared to listern." For such an old frail looking woman, her voice had a resonance that filled the chamber.

OOC: Tobias this is your invitation, I know you may have already decided your choice of diety, and this is the opportunity to announce it to the Isle.
Tobias T`shengal

Tobias hesitates for a moment as he digests 'cast off your mortal garments' but finally decides that if he's come this far, there's no point in turning back. Stripping out of his clothing, he shivers briefly, then steps naked into the pool. He calms himself, closes his eyes, and carefully dredges the best prayer he feels capable of making to his god, Illuminatius.

Illuminatius, God of Balance and Light, I have come here to this temple to seek You and Your most holy guidance. I pray to You now in the hope that You will deem to answer me, and show me the next step I must take in the path to You, so that I may enter into Your righteous service and serve You however I can.

He lets out a deep sigh and relaxes, hoping that his god has heard him and that his prayer wasn't imperfect enough to be offensive. All I can do now is wait...and pray...
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

As Tobias stood in the waist deep water, he seemed to be surrounded by a glowing light which gradually increased in intensity until he seemed to be infused with the brilliance of the light.
Tobias T`shengal

Tobias lets in the breath he didn't know he was holding out as the light surrounds him. He wonders, vaguely, what will happen next, before relaxing even more, and begins to do as the old woman advised him, and listens.
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

As the light intensifies and Tobias relaxes, a single note seems to hum through his ears, soft and pure, it seems in harmony with the light. The light which had previously infused his body now seems to be forming a wall around him, aperfect circle, just out of reach if he stretched his arms out to eah side.

To hum, or not to hum ...
Tobias T`shengal

Tobias, almost unconsciously, begins to hum along with the tune. He opens his eyes to the wall of light and smiles, ready to accept his fate.
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

As his humming came into tune with the sound surrounding him, the curtain of light seemed to fall, leaving the young half breed standing in a circle of white, a residual of the earlier light.

Standing across from him was a vaguely humanoid (or elfoid if you prefer) shape, seemingly clothed in a shimmering white light. The features where impossible to make out, but a sense of power and age emanated from the entity as it surveyed Tobias.
Tobias T`shengal

His humming falters, and with a short gasp he falls to his knees, something in him instantly recognizing the being before him. He carefully picks back up the humming, feeling it would be wrong to let the tune fade.

"You...you are Illuminatius..."

He struggles to find the words to say what is in his heart. "My...my God...I offer myself to You and Your service...please accept this that I can give to You..."
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

The enitity wafted across the floor towards Tobias, nver crossing the line of the circle in which he now crouched, half kneeling.

Indeed my son, I am Illuminatus, god of light, might and right. What brings you too my dwelling? Although the entity had not appearred to speak, Tobias hear its deep masculine voice clearly in his mind.
Tobias T`shengal

He looks up at the god carefully. "I have come to pledge myself to your service. I wish to enter the ranks of the paladins and fight for you."
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

The entity before Tobias seemed to flicker momentarily, and did his eyes betray him, it seemed to glow ever so slightly brighter?

Your service is most welcome Tobias T`shengal, my ranks are too few in these dark and sinister days that descend upon us.

Tell me, why do you choose to serve as a paladin? It is not a life for everyone, and hardships abound in my service.
Tobias T`shengal

Tobias' heart jumps a little, as he scarcely dares to believe it. I've been accepted! He pauses, and thinks about Illuminatius' question. "I...I suddenly felt an urge to...to add meaning to my life. To do something really worthwhile, to make a difference, to stand up for my ideals. I thought that if I became a paladin, I would have a chance to fight for what I believe in."
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

But why a paladin Tobias? You could have joined the Caesers guard, and dedicated your life to the defender of the light, why choose the path of a paladin?

For it is not an easy path, and much will seem to stand in your way.

The entity inclined its head towards Tobias. Much of being a paladin is about pious service, and a willingness to follow unflinching devotion. Do you berlieve, in your heart of hearts that you are prepared for this lifestyle?
Tobias T`shengal

He shakes his head slowly. "That is what I ask for. I do not believe that becoming a guardsman would satisfy my desire to serve my religion. Complete devotion is what I seek. I am ready."
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

Indeed you may be ready Tobias, but only time will tell if you are truely ready.

I see in your heart you believe, and this belief will be your anchor in what you will face in the future.
The flickering shape slowly traversed a circle around Tobias, never crossing the line just outside of Tobias' reach.

As my paladin, do you think you can come to this place again to call on me in your hour of need? The disembodoed voice of the god wafted through Tobias' mind, neither reproachfull or demanding, simply asking a question of the would be paladin.

Return to “Oracle's Isle archives (old)”