The Oaken Gates to the Citadel

Moderator: Mods

Danomel

Danomel Approches the Gate

Post by Danomel »

OOC:

I think I posted this initially in the wrong thread. After reading the faq’s, this appears to be the proper entrance thread. So I have moved it over here.

IC:

Stepping from the ships gangway, Danomel paused to look around. Sniffing the air several times, he thought to himself, why is it always the smells I notice first? Moving away from the gangway, he noted others pausing momentarily waiting for their legs to steady, landlubbers flashed through his mind. Adjusting his pack, he began to slowly make his way towards the city gates. He gave a small shudder as he approached; cities are always so crowded, he thought.

Turning his dark green eyes towards the gate, he gave an involuntary gasp at the site. Pausing again, he noted some of the people being questioned by guards at the gate. Reaching down to scratch an itch on his thigh, he saw the gravy stain was still visible on his tunic, he thought he had cleaned it better. Considering the stain for a moment, he let out a small sigh. Well, its not to bad, nobody will notice anyway.

Glancing back towards the ships in the harbor, he muttered to himself “Open Ocean has its own unique kind of peace, but I guess it is good to be ashore for awhile.”

Turning back towards the gate he waited for some people to move, so he could get an idea of what sort of routine people entering the city were being put through. Sometimes it was annoying being so short.

Adjusting his pack strap again, he marched boldly towards the gate. This was a far cry from the places of his youth. He let his eyes drink all the activity around him. The unusual sights and sounds, the hustle and bustle, people from places he could only imagine. He had come a long way and wanted to experience it all. New places and new experiences, that was what it was all about!

He slowed as he neared the guards, looking to see if they were dealing with someone else, and if he should wait before approaching. Taking his place in line, he waited to enter the great city.
By all the Dodos! these are thoughts of weight,
Most venerable, wise, and out of date.
(from [i]The Paradise of the Birds[/i], by [i]W. J. Courthope[/i])

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

Ulder briefly interlaced his fingers to adjust his gloves against the chill air and walked towards the enormous and awe-inspiring gates of Citadel with a strange mixture of emotions. One part of him was glad to have reached his destination, and a certain warmth and sense of accomplishment was his to enjoy. Another part was anxious to see what the greatest city in all of Tazlure had to offer. Being from King's Court and having seen Taloh Tel`Amrun, he was curious to see how the three cities would compare. Lastly and most currently, he felt a deep sadness and melancholy. He had now reached the gates of his destination and the sense of destiny that came with it, but she was not with him. His lost love had not survived to share this at his side. His thoughts reached out to her as he walked towards the line of people waiting to enter.

I'm here my love. I've finally reached this place to forge a new life from the ashes and embers of the old. I once promised you that I would be a champion of those who are weak and unable to defend themselves. That I would stand resolute and unyielding against the darkness. When I was with you I felt like a King, an Emperor, A Ceasar. Without you I am the Hollow Man, empty and void. But the Hollow Man still can swing a sword. Still hold a shield. Still fight the Darkness. The Gods and their creatures of Magic have seen fit to bring me here, and here is where I will fight.

Mirthless and grim, he shuffled into his place in line and awaited his turn to speak with the guards and enter the city.
Kaliber Fireblade

Post by Kaliber Fireblade »

Kaliber smiled broadly at the guard who just asked him.

“ Well my lord, I actually want to study in the famous University of Magick. I have dreams of becoming a good mage of course. Magick really interest me.”, Kaliber then paused and crossed his arms on his chest.

“Say my lord, is the school still accepting new students? Uh do I have to do something in order to get in? Mind if you help me my lord? I really need to get in that school.”

Kaliber eyed the guard with great interest as he waited for an answer.
Last edited by Kaliber Fireblade on Tue Jan 20, 2004 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

Danomel
OOC: The Harbor gates would have been appropriate but I will let you enter from here.

IC: After waiting in a short line, a guard looked up from his desk and motioned Danomel forward. The man's hands were red along with his ears and cheeks. He rubbed his hands together and gave a quick sigh. "Welcome to the Citadel. I need your name and the reason you have come to this city."

Around them, there were others guards. One did the same as the guard in front of him, welcoming visitors, while the others stayed at the gate in tense silence.

Ulderon
After waiting in a short line, a guard motioned for Ulderon to come forward. He looked up and nodded to the visitor. "Welcome to the Citadel. I need your name and the reason you have come to the city."

The guard looked tense but tired. There were rings around his eyes and his expression was far less than perky. Yet, he did his job with ease and seemed used to repeating that line again and again.

Kaliber
The guard coughed and looked up quickly when Kaliber mentioned the Kaliber. There was suspicion in his eyes as he looked over the visitor. "The University of Magic.... yes.... Why do you want to go there? They certainly do help.... yes. It is not my concern if the university does or does not accept students right now. I could certainly not help you with that... you would have to find it out on your own."

He smiled and shrugged in mock helplessness. The guard quickly wrote something down on the piece of parchment in front of him and handed it to Kaliber. "Don't be loosing that. Now, do you need a place to stay? Perhaps you would like to know of an inn?"
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

"Thank you. My name is Ulder Synkaaros. I've come to Citadel to keep a promise. I'm interested in joining your ranks as a member of the Guard."

So it begins... he thought as he waited for further instructions from the gate guard.
Danomel

Talking to the Guard at the Gate

Post by Danomel »

Danomel noted the redness of the guards hands, checks, and ears. He wondered briefly to himself what caused it.

Clearing his throat a little first, he replied “Uhmm, yes, the names Danomel. I’ve just finished a stint at sea. Thought I’d take a break for a short time, not sure how long. I’d like to feel dry land under my feet for a while. And I have heard many things about your city here. I’d kind of like to look around before seeking employment on another ship. Not sure how long I’ll be here, probably till the money runs out, yes.”

Danomel cast a short look at the gate guards. A slight frown touched the corners of his mouth as his left hand fuses with his mustache. They seem a little on edge, wonder why? He thought.

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Kaliber Fireblade

Kaliber involuntarily raised his eyebrows as he somewhat sensed the uneasiness of the guard that stood before him. He pondered about this for a moment, and then decided to answer more cautiously.
"I like to become a mage that's all... Why is magick prohibited these days?"
Kaliber shrugged as he took the parchment and tucked it in his backpack. "Yes i would like to know of an inn. Do you have good one near here?"

Post by Guest »

Telnas approached the city gates, never had he seen such gates, staring at them intensely he absentmindedly started to twirl his staff, and immediately dropped it. Flushing with embarrassment he gave a quick look round hoping no-one had seen.
Looking up he saw guards near a small door built into the main gate, and a queue of people entering through it.
With a purposeful stride he joined the queue awaiting his turn to enter, getting more nervous as his turn approached, he suddenly realised that now is when the adventure really begins, and hopefully he would find what he seeks so desperately.
Last edited by Guest on Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

Ulderon
The guard looked at Ulderon with interest. "A member of the guard? Than welcome you are! But a promise... you only do it for a promise?" The guard seemed slightly disappointed. Yet, he pulled out a piece of parchment, jotted something down on it, and handed it to Ulderon.

The guard gave Ulderon directions to the Purple Guard headquarters and then pointed to the parchment. "Don't be loosing that... it would be... beyond foolish."

Danomel
The guard gave a quick bark of laughter and then jotted something down on the parchment in front of him. He handed it to Danomel with a smile. "Don't be loosing that. You expect to loose your money here? I hope it will be in law abiding ways!" He frowned at the prospect of other things and then shook his head. "Do you need directions to an inn?"

Kaliber
The man shook his head in mild politeness. "Not prohibited it is just... strange. Queer folks use it. Then again, there are some good ones... but the bad ones." The guard eyed Kaliber sharply. "Not that you would study anything bad. It could kill you!" He frowned and seemed to emphasize kill as a warning.

The guard gave directions to Kaliber to a place called the Burpin' Dragon Inn. "It is a nice place. Good food, a fine palce to stay!"

Telnas
A guard motioned Telnas to step forward after a little while. "Welcome to the Citadel! I need your name and the reason you have come to this fair city." The guard sat behind a desk with parchment and ink in front of him.

Post by Guest »

Telnas thought for a moment, as his human language was still poor . "My name is Telnas Quotana, I have been many days from Tel' Aranae Quessir. I come to learn, visit this place, to perhaps study magicks. To improve my memory" Telnas stopped, that was wrong, "No er, mind, yes I mean mind".
Telnas smiled at the guard, "oh, an erm Inn, rest, eat place, you know of one for me, please ?".
Trying to look unconcerned Telnas waited for the guards reply.
[/i]
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

Ulder thanked the guard politely and closely held the parchment that he had been given. He listened to the directions carefully and went about his business of finding the building of the headquarters.
Danomel

Talking to the guard

Post by Danomel »

A puzzled expression crossed Danomels face for a moment. It was quickly replaced by a smile as he let out a short chuckle. “Loosing it, I hope not. Spending it all with very little to show for it afterwards is probably more to the point!”

Danomel adjusted his pack so he could open it, then thanking the guard, he takes the parchment. After reading it, he put it in his pack.

Adjusting the pack again, he turns once more towards the guard. “As this is my first time to your city, it would be much appreciated if you could direct me towards the inn you spoke of.”

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

Danomel
The guard watched Danomel try and read the parchment with amused interest. "Not many around here can read. It took you a long time to learn? I am sure someone would be happy to have a person like you to help them make notes." He grinned and looked at Danomel almost mockingly. The worlds on the page were foreign to Danomel except for the word to and his name, both of which stuck out amid other scrawl.

"The Burpin' Dragon would be a good place for you to go. It's a nice place to stay and it has enough food to fill you up!" The guard gave Danomel directions to the inn.

Telnas
The guard looked at Telnas suspiciously. "Another magic student, ehhh? We seem to be getting more of them. Well, I don't know what you are doing around here! I certainly hope you will be causing no trouble. We don't tolerate that. The Burpin' Dragon is a good place to stay. A nice place... you should go there."

The guard gave directions to Telnas. Then, he picked up a piece of parchment, jotted something down on it, and handed it back to Telnas. "Don't be loosing that. Now, any more questions?"
Kaliber Fireblade

Kaliber raised his eyebrows as he heard the man emphasize the "it could kill you". He casually clasped his hands behind his head and gazed at the man with amusement.
'Clearly magick is really something dangerous to this guy... Hmmm interesting...' Kaliber thought cheerfully as his eyes glinted with anticipation.
"My lord, I tell you, do not be worried. If there are 'bad ones' using magick, i assure you i would not be one of them." He gave the guard a huge grin and tapped him lightly at the shoulder. "And i also would like to thank you for giving me directions to this marvelous inn.. uh what do you call it... a Burpin Dragon. I believe I have to go kind sir."
Kaliber saluted him and casually started to walk towards the city. Suddenly remembering his manners, he stopped and looked back. "Uh may i go into the city now, my lord?"

Post by Guest »

Telnas was a little taken aback at the seeming dislike for magick, or perhaps the guard had just too many aspiring magick users come through today. He glanced at the parchment and realised that apart from his name he couldn't really read it without taking time to study it properly, he would do that later. Putting the parchment into his satchel he turned to the guard and once again thought about his words carefully, "Questions, I have not questions, and I not cause any trouble, I not want trouble". He shouldered his pack and continued, "If you want no more of me, may I enter city now please, and use your good route to this inn"?

OOC: Is there a timestamp associated with this, or will that be later, once an 'adventure' begins ? (as this is presumably just general pre-amble that can occur at any timestamp, unless of course it is part of an existing adventure, when it would be timestamped).
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

Sensing the guard’s amusement, Danomel shrugged his shoulders and gave a half smile. “I don’t think any would be scribes job security is going to be overly threatened by my very meager abilities.”

“I do thank you for your time and directions though, and wish you a swift watch and a good day.” With that Danomel turned toward the city and made his way towards the inn.

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

Kaliber
The guard nodded and motioned for Kaliber to continue through the gates. "You may pass through. Remember, be careful and law abiding! The Citadel is a very safe place... but watch your step."

Telnas
OOC: I would take the 13th, but the choice is yours.
IC:
The guard nodded and motioned for Telnas to continue into the city. "You are all set. Remember to be careful and law abiding!"

Danomel
The guard chuckled and watched at Danomel left the gates. "Good luck to you!"
Hester Marjan Andros

Post by Hester Marjan Andros »

Coming home... it was a strange thing to realize that the familiar buildings of Citadel were once more in her sights. The young girl tugged her cloak tightly around her slender form as she neared the imposing gates. She wasn't quite sure how this place, once so dear to her heart, would seem after her time away. In truth, she hadn't been away for long; her father had seen her off to study with a religious sect, purely for schooling rather than religious purposes.

And now Hester Andros was coming home. Her dark red hair was pulled back into a loose ponytail, the ends whipping around as the wind lifted and played with them. Her brow was furrowed as she peered up with clear, intelligent eyes to the guards at the gates. Her small bag was in hand, and she awaited the opportunity to enter... to return home.
Caden DaSani

Post by Caden DaSani »

As the majestic Oaken Gate came into view Caden paused a moment to just stand and stare at it. Dwarfed by the wooden structure, Caden felt overwhemed for a moment by the city he faced. West Riding was no where near this size, and to be honest, with the passing of everyday of his youth, it felt even smaller.
The small queue standing in front of the smaller door within the gate reminded Caden of the importance of getting inside before darkness fell, so he hurried to join the end of the line. His need for haste routed the feeling of being so insignifigant so quickly he hardly noticed it passing.
Hester Marjan Andros

Hester turned grey eyes on the man who halted behind her, a vague smile coming to her face as she nodded in greeting. He was handsome, to be sure, but her concern with returning home was so great she almost didn't notice... almost.

The nervousness she felt was intensified by having to wait to enter through the gate; and she just couldn't stop fidgeting.
Caden DaSani

Post by Caden DaSani »

"I think I'm still rather awestruck," Caden broke into a sunny smile when he caught the eye of the young lady in front of him. General noise of the city oozed into the akward silence, filling it with the sounds of life in close quarters.
"To be honest, I've never been away from West Riding before, and this is all rather overwhelming. Are all cities this massive?" Caden allowed his backpack to slide down his shoulder, caught it deftly in the crook of his elbow then set it on the ground as he turned to give his full attention to the lady before him.
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

Caden + Hester
After a little while, the pair reached the start of the line. A guard looked up and, assuming that the two were together, beckoned them forward. The guard looked at Caden and nodded. "Welcome to the Citadel. I need both of your names and the reason that you have come here."

There were several guards stationed around the gate and another guard sitting at a table talking to someone who was waiting to enter the city. All of them looked wary and cautious.
Hester Marjan Andros

Hester hadn't expected him to talk to her. It was a nice change from the many grim and distant faces she'd seen in her travels back home.

"I don't think any city quite affects one in the same way that this one does. I'm not sure if it's the atmosphere once you're inside or if it's just the sight of these gates before you ever enter." She returned his smile with one of her own, her words clearly articulated in the style of the educated, lacking the slur of many of the common folk. "'Twas home to me at one time... now, I'm not so certain."

That worried expression returned as she peered upward once more at the imposing gates. By that time, they'd reached the guards, and she was momentarily distracted by the question put to them.

"I am Hester Andros... and I'm returning to my father's home in Citadel after a leave of several months." Had it really been that long? She knew as soon as the strange words were spoken that it was the truth, and it shook her to the core. What had changed since last she'd been inside those great walls? What had remained the same?
Caden DaSani

Post by Caden DaSani »

"I am Caden DaSani of West Riding and I've come to the Citadel to pursuer more training as a scribe." Caden felt his stomach clench as the lie slipped out so easily. He had contemplated several different approaches but decided upon keeping to the story he had used to leave home. During the voyage over, at least three nites he awoke in sweat drenched sheets from nightmares of his parents suddenly stopping by for a visit and learning of his breach of trust. When he awoke he would logically remind himself how in his entire twenty five years of memory, he never knew them to leave West Riding, but the comfort came a little too late.
"West Riding doesn't have a gate like this, but then again I doubt we were ever in the path of rampaging hordes either. Are you attacked often?" Caden asked Hester as he gestured to the other guards standing around. "I would think this gate alone in all of it's majesty would be a deterrent."
The slight woman was somewhat attractive but had beautiful eyes and a very natural warming smile. Caden felt more at ease with her beside him, not only because she was a onetime resident of the city, but also because she was a kindred spirit facing the surprisingly daunting task of entering the city together.
Hester Marjan Andros

Surprisingly, somehow it did help that they seemed to be in this together. Another bright smile and Hester glanced to the guards. He was a scribe... that was convenient. Her mind contemplated the implications of having a learned companion, and she found herself studying him a bit more closely.

"A scribe, you say? Would there be any way, Caden DaSani, of you taking on a student?" It was a longshot, but he'd piqued her interest.

Return to “Outer Ring Archive”