The Harbour (Entrance thread)

Moderator: Mods

Post by Guest »

“Oh? How kind of you. Any advice on a decent place to sleep would be more then welcome.”
A thoughtful expression clouded his young face. Some sailors on the ship had worn him about ‘barbarians in a civilized world’. Whatever they meant by that. Something about pickpockets. And people that did not like strangers, certainly not if they were armed young men that looked different then their own kind.
“Perhaps, it would be wise if it is a place that is used to having the more exotic travelers under its roof?” he added.
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

The older guard smiled and pointed towards the city, giving Sfein directions to the Burping Dragon. "They get all types of visitors. I would not worry too much. I am sure they have extra rooms and a nice warm drink for you." The guard looked longingly at the city and sighed. "Any other questions?"

No mention was made of pickpockets. Apparently the guards either did not want to admit that there were any, or the problems of robbery had died down.

Post by Guest »

Sfein nodded gracefully when he got the directions. That sounded like a good place to be. He mumbled a farewell and entered into this big city, wondering what strange things were waiting for him to discover there.
Jared Damarikomu

Post by Jared Damarikomu »

With the first of his footsteps, carefully placed upon the wood work boards of the Citadel harbour, Jared’s arrival was marked with a soft echo. He had learned that finding his footing after time spent upon the waters could be a little difficult, and today apparently was not going to be any different. Once Jared succeeded in finding his footing ashore, all he had to do was pause momentarily, so that he could adapt to how stable land was. The gentle rocking of the waves often calmed him, and while he rarely became sea sick, the transition from sea to shore constantly made him a little green about the gills.

Jared faintly caressed the sheath of his long sword, firmly fastened to his belt at his side, and then secondly resting his hand on the hilt of his short sword, strapped to the opposing side. Perhaps that had become a habit of his, just examining to ensure his twins were still there, one cannot ever be too careful. Amending his chain mail so that its positioning wouldn’t annoy him further, the man also straightened the cloak about his shoulders, its folds ruffling significantly in the breeze. Content for now, Jared raised his eyes to the structure he knew would still be there, towering even now since he left last.

The Oaken Gates, ah yes, I draw nearer and closer to my home every passing moment. A mastery of construction, the doors are a legendary defence for the populace of Citadel, and a sight that you can’t overlook nor neglect to pass through. The edifice is forever guarded, and every traveler wishing to make their way inside will be noticed for certain. Hopefully they’ll allow a tired man to come home.

Taking a rather deep breath, Jared continued with those steps which he had previously ceased, and the queasiness seemed to have come and gone already. Removing the unruly strands of auburn hair from his eyes as he walked, the warrior made his way from the confines of the harbour, creeping closer to the fortifications that would inevitably bar his way. All he had in mind to tell the sentries was the truth, as honesty was almost always going to be favourable, even for an armed and potentially dangerous adventurer.
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

Jared
Two guards were sitting near the gate. They looked tired and cold, but watched the newcomer with slight interest. One of them approached and nodded in greeting. "Welcome to the Citadel. I'll be needn' your name an' the reason you're here."

The wind was chilly and had taken its told on everyone around. Those who were unloading ships did so hastily. The guard's faces were red and the one closer to the gate seemed to be shivering.

"Such unusual weather we are getting here..." The guard closer to Jared waited. Next to him was a small table where parchment and ink lay waiting.
Jared Damarikomu

His predictions were accurate, his memories served Jared well, and many sentries remained at their posts even with the erratic weather. It didn’t take them long to locate his approach either, yet another presumption from earlier he knew would take place, specifically two soldiers handling his arrival. Despite their circumstances, being out in the cold and all, they gave him a friendly greeting as well as carrying out their duty. Jared attempted to appear as harmless as he could, taking care to keep his hands from his weaponry for once. The last thing he wanted was to give the impression of hostile intent, the absolute last thing.

"Ah, you have my thanks for the welcome, my friend. My name, of course, that is Jared Damarikomu. I no longer wish to be out and about obviously, and I’d much prefer to return to Citadel, my home."

Jared wrangled with his mind, trying to decide whether he should speak further or not, but he always had trouble with your every day conversation. It wasn’t like him to converse with strangers, even though it was a possibility he may have sighted them in his distant past, he didn’t know them at all. Jared was a man who was far more skilled at keeping his mouth closed, especially out in the cold and the chill wind. The guards themselves wouldn’t care for the mention of a crackling fireplace, or the luxury of blankets and a warm bed to retire in. They might even grow jealous, or irritated with his hopes, and these ideas and possibilities are what kept Jared’s reply brief.
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

The guard looked at Jared suspiciously and quickly jotted something down on the piece of parchment next to him. "This is your home?" He frowned, "Can you prove it?" The guard shifted slightly and glanced at the other guard. Clearly he was not willing to trust anyone, even the move congenial of strangers.
Jared Damarikomu

Disagreement lashed at Jared as the whip would flay the flesh, the guard refuting his modest wording without any delay at all. Perhaps the homebound adventurer expected some form of reprieve, though just like everyone else who arrived at the exterior of these Oaken Gates, Jared was met with skepticism. He wasn’t going to be allowed through so easily, and rightly so, as any form of threat could turn up and claim the same things he had. Jared couldn’t help but feel that much more uncomfortable however, a concerned expression placed firmly over his face. His mind, almost right away, began racing and rummaging around his memories for the proof he required.

I knew this was coming, so why didn’t I anticipate a question such as this? I don’t have a legal document of residence, or anything similar, only my parents do. I left my home behind, so I guess I don’t exactly belong here anymore. My father is retired from the Purple Guard, so they can’t really call him here to give his word. These gentlemen won’t allow my passage if I only give excuses either, there must be something, something I can say. All I must do is stay honest, and they will do as they will.

"Perhaps I spoke too boldly. I once resided here, here within Citadel and I spent my youth here, though I traded my home for the world. I believe adventurer is one of the better terms for labeling me, a tired adventurer indeed. I understand your suspicion, and I didn’t wish to cause a disturbance, though I can’t give much evidence unfortunately."

Jared shifted his weight from one foot to the other, more than uncomfortable with the situation, even though the situation wasn’t all that much to worry about. His words were sincere, and yet his body language was as treacherous as it could be, working against him as usual. Suddenly realizing he was grasping his long sword hilt out of habit, he released it rather suddenly. He had to relax, as it was only a routine check, not the apocalypse.
Last edited by Jared Damarikomu on Sat Dec 20, 2003 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

The guard looked at Jared and his expressions softened. He looked at the sky and shook his head. "Then welcome back, certainly. Are you just looking to return home or perhaps you want to visit the Burpin' Dragon?" The guard shivered and turned to look at the city, clearly wanted to get inside.

"The cold is getting to me. You may enter, unless you need direction or some idea of where to go..." The guard picked up the piece of parchment next to him and handed it to Jared.

"Do not loose that. I believe you will remember the consequences." The guard grinned slightly and shrugged as if mocking those who did not understand what the parchment 'did'.
Jared Damarikomu

The guard before him came forth a few steps, gifting Jared’s unwary hands with a note of some form. The tension that the withdrawn man was suffering from previously, it began to fade and die away, with only positive words reaching his ears. Anxiety was an old friend of Jared’s, yet usually it required a state of affairs more pressing, for his stress and nervousness to stand out so well. Whatever it was, whether it pity, belief or sympathy, something had changed the soldier’s focus and he seemed more charitable than before. Jared had gained the reprieve he had hoped for, a key resting in his hands, to the immense double doorway without a keyhole before him.

"If I remember correctly, this is a permit of Citadel, and my consent for entry. Should I lose it, I would no longer be permitted perceptibly, and more than likely viewed as an intruder by every member of the entire Purple Guard. I must offer my thanks once again, this time for your generosity. The Burpin' Dragon sounds very inviting, despite the name."

Placing his backpack gently upon the wintry ground at his feet, he then untied and opened it, tucking the parchment securely inside. Snatching the pack up again and slinging it over his shoulders, Jared was all set once more. The only thing the adventurer could do at this moment was smile, and that was peculiar, as he hadn’t smiled in months. Maybe knowing he could come home, and the renowned feeling of belonging would be his for a time, perhaps brought him his contentment.

https://tazlure.nl/board/viewtopic.php?t=4484
Last edited by Jared Damarikomu on Sun Dec 28, 2003 12:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

The guard listened to Jared and a slight smile appeared on his face. Clearly, Jared had lived there before. "Welcome back, welcome back. Feel free to enter the city." With a quick smile, the guard turned and rejoined the other guard. As another visitor stepped toward the gates, they switched positions. Thus, Jared was not forgotten, but left alone to do what he wished.
Klaes

Post by Klaes »

(Timestamp: Samheen 14, Morningtide)

Klaes got off the ship, looking about him with a scowl upon his face. He lowered the cowl of his cloak casually, sighing in relief. The voyage had been rather to his liking- in the sense that he had only been overcome by sickness once on the voyage, rather than the usual constant nausea of life upon the waves. His face twisted into a wistful grin as he looked back at the ship, hopeful that it would be the last time he would see one of the damned things for a long while. After all- there wasn't any real need or even any want to head back to the Western Kingdoms. Ever. Not willingly.

Stepping calmly toward the guards at the end of the dock, he sighed, closing his eyes momentarily, he concentrated for a moment, putting on his best charming smile. Hoping that his previous sickness diidn't reveal itself through paleness or pastiness (which, after all, might be construed as nervousness, and, by implication- guilt), he hailed them, white teeth flashing. He could only hope that they would not bother questioning him (travellers were far too numerous to chat with all of them- it was only those who stood out that they would bother with). This was one of the things that so many guards seemed to enjoy doing- as if they didn't understand they were really nothing more than hired muscle for nobility unable to protect its position without their aid. He couldn't help but narrow his eyes slightly, almost imperceptibly, as the thought crossed his mind. You may not like them, or even remotely care for them- but it is imperative that you control your expression, he thought, running his hands through his short hair, as if assuring that it wasn't making any threatening gestures of its own accord.

"Hello there!" He called, willing that the conversation might take his mind off of his disdain for the entire profession of guardsmanship.
Last edited by Klaes on Tue Feb 10, 2004 9:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

Two guards stood at the gate watching Klaes approach. They both had their hands casually placed on swords at their hips. Clearly they were not willing to take chances with strange visitors.

The older guard came forward and acknowledged the newcomer. "Welcome to the Citadel. I'll be need'n your name an' the reason you is here."

A cold wind hit from above and the guards shivered. "Cold... too cold." The guards exchanged glances and then turned back to the newcomer.
Klaes

Post by Klaes »

Klaes noted the cold, but made no move to put his hood on once more- after all, who puts on their hood when dealing with guards? Criminals. Criminals and idiots, he amended mentally, taking care that his grin should not become leering or forced, and that he did not stare at any single thing for too long, nor for too short a time. It was a skill learned after many years of dealing with men and women who just didn't seem to really understand his intelligence- for after all, any genius must focus on the problem. Staring was just a consequence of this focus, of course. Some people, though- they apparently had problems with this, and fitting in is important when one seeks to avoid a certain sort of attention.

"Strange weather for the Citadel this time of year," he commented simply, rubbing his hands together. Klaes had certainly done his research- he knew all about the snowfall in the Citadel, and exactly what the weather should be like this time of year. "Unseasonably cold, but then, the Citadel is certainly a wonderful place to be."

He continued his practiced walk toward the guards (after all, how many times had he practiced this same speech on the ship, checking every possible line of questioning, every angle), making sure that the pace was constant and yet with a slight gait. Practiced casualness, as usual- nothing eccentric about it- he had seen the way his feet looked reflected in the silver mirror in the chest he dragged behind him too many times to fail.

Setting the heavy item down, he managed a small bow without rolling his eyes. "Well, sir, my name is Klaes Myrmus, of Roque. I was born in this city, but departed seventeen years ago, with my mother- who was very ill. We managed to stay in a summer home, trying to nurse her to health. She struggled valiantly for a time, but alas, she passed away into Dominicus' hands two years ago." He frowned a frown- equally artificial, yet somehow more fitting his face than the practiced smile. "I tried to remain there, but, sadly, her memory would never depart me- and it never shall. But I have decided the time for haunting memories has passed, and decided to come here, to my birthplace." He gave a sad smile, making sure that the light moisture he had produced in his eyes (by pinching his leg through his pocket) wasn't too much- just enough to be noticed.

"Is that satisfactory, gentlemen?" He asked, offering another small bow.
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

The guards gazed at Klaes in clear confusion. The older one coughed politely into his hand and he exchanged befuddled glances with the other guard. "I didn't need no life story." Both guards laughed at the comment and they seemed to relax slightly.

The older guard suddenly seemed to realize he was laughing on the job and he fell silent, once again watching Klaes. He picked up a piece of parchment and jotted something down on it. With a flourish, he handed it to Klaes.

"You ain't 'bout to do no funny buisness is you? We don't like that 'round here. Just be law abidin, right? Now, you be needing directions anywhere?"
Klaes

Post by Klaes »

I knew it was too long! Should have shortened it... or done away with it completely... Klaes thoght, his mind racing as he thought that he would be denied admission. Of all things, stopped by a guardsman. The irony was literally painful to him, but then something happened that he didn't expect- the guards laughed.

Laughter is good, at least from past experience, Klaes pondered. Try as he might, he couldn't find the humor of the statement. Surely they didn't laugh at the idea of a sickly woman? However, the mirth was short lived, and the overthinker began to worry again... but relaxed swiftly as the paper was handed to him. He had to mentally restrict himself to stop from breaking into another grin then and there.

"Law abiding citizen, of course! Oh no, dear sir, directions will not be necessary. I can find my way around, I assure you." It was a lie, but a small one, at least compared to the story of a sickly mother. But it didn't matter, after all- he was in. After all the careful planning, he had at last made it into the city proper. He smiled, folding the paper neatly and gripping it firmly in his hand.

Success always tastes sweetest when it is given to the deserving.
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

Finding no sarcasm in Klaes' response, the older guard nodded and motioned for him to continue into the city. "Remember to be careful. There are strange folk around." Both guards yet again exchanged uncomfortable glances and then turned towards the docks, waiting for someone else to try and get in.
Kinen

Post by Kinen »

Kinen placed his sack of possessions on the ground next to his feet. Turning smartly, he faced the BOUNTY and rendered honors one more time. He mentally bid that chapter of his life one last farewell then turned, collected his things and strode purposefully toward the gate.

How exactly does one begin a new life, thought Kinen. His hair was well kept and his face clean shaven. His new clothes were spotless and swished as he approached the guards at the gate. I hope they don't think that I'm some leech or drifter here to prey on this cities charity.

"Ahoy gentlemen! Having recently completed my apprenticeship aboard ship, I request permission to enter your fair city." Kinen hoped that his announcement wouldn't appear comical or worse, presumptuous.
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

The older guard looked up as Kinen approached. He smiled politely and motioned for Kinen to stop. "Welcome to the Citadel. I'll be need'n your name and the reason you'll be entering this city."

The guard's faces and hands were red. They kept on rubbing their nose and ears to keep them warm. However, they were dealing with the apparent drawback with dignity. Nonetheless, the frigid wind kept on drawing back and hitting.
Kinen

Post by Kinen »

Drawing himself up and presenting as pleasant a picture as the wind would allow, Kinen bowed slightly from the waist, "Kinen of Dort sirs. As for my purpose here, I would like to secure a comfortable berth and then steady employment as soon thereafter as my skills and opportunity will allow." Gods...could I have been any more windy!

Kinen shivered slightly as he awaited the guards response and then quickly added "If you could also direct me to a mercantile where more suitable clothing for this climate might be obtained I would appreciated it very, very much." Perhaps if Kinen were willing to drop a few coins into the local economy a shaky decision might go his way. Not that the extra clothing would be unwelcome.
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

The guard nodded and jotted something down on a piece of parchment. With a flourish, he handed it to Kinen. "Ahhh... I see. Gettin' a job, eh? We could be usin' someone like you. I am sure you'll be finding employment." He grinned and then stopped short when Kinen mentioned clothes.

Both guards gazed at each other uncomfortably and then the older guard turned back. "We don't be knowing of any places like that. No. The cold should be... you'll be alright." Muttering and stuttering a little more, the guard gave Kinen directions to the Burpin' Dragon, perhaps in hopes of steering him away from other places. "A mighty fine place."
Kinen

Post by Kinen »

Repeating the instructions back to the guard to be sure he had them correct, Kinen entered the city. A flood of forgotten memories came back of the things he used to do in the city as a child, many of which didn't seem to be as interesting as he used to think the were. Satisfied with his first glance around the city, Kinen began check off waypoints as he made his way to the Burpin' Dragon. First, a bed and somewhere to keep his duffle, then perhaps he'd find a market or butcher shop. Surely someone could use an extra pair of hands in a place such as this.

As he approached the inn, Kinen had a moment of abstract terror over the most trivial thing. Will I be able to sleep in a bed not rocked by the waves? It's been years since I tried." Shaking his head at his own foolishness, Kinen smiled sheepishly at himself and entered what, for at least the near future, would be his home.
Kulm

Kulm arrives in Citadel

Post by Kulm »

Kulm stepped off the ship, feeling a little unsteady after so much time on board. The journey from Amun Rah had not been as unpleasant and unfamiliar as he had feared it might be: the rolling of the ocean waves was alike in some ways to the motion felt when riding a raptor, and, although there was much rain, they had not encountered any storms.

Stretching his great bulk, the half-giant looked up at the city that loomed above him. Kulm thought that living in Abu Sahir for a number of years would have inured him to the sights of human cities, but the spires and towers above him made it clear that Citadel was not just another human city. He felt excited, and perhaps a little nervous, at the prospect and future that lay before him.

First things first, though, he thought. Some food, a bed big enough for his frame, and a job to pay for these first two necessities - clearly these were his priorities.

Waving goodbye to the friendly harbour pilot who Kulm had joked with as they entered the port, Kulm shouldered his backpack and set off along the docks.
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

OOC: I a very sorry about not seeing you sooner. If this ever happens again please PM me, your wait is inexcusable.

IC: Two guards stood near the entrance to the Citadel. The younger one had his hand carefully placed on his sword while the older watched Kulm approach with slight interest. "Welcome to the Citadel. I need your name and the reason you wish to enter this City."

Both guards looked edgy and neither seemed quite happy to be at the gate. The older guard's eyes kept darting around, searching for something.
Kulm

Post by Kulm »

OOC: Don't worry about the delay - it took me a few weeks to get around to doing my first post, so I probably didn't deserve a quick response!

IC: "Hello," Kulm said, smiling. The guards looked a little apprehesive. Whether this was because of his appearance, or for another reason, Kulm wasn't sure. Keeping his hands in view, he walked calmly towards the gate.

"My name is Kulm. I come here to find work." Even to his own ears, his speech sounded stilted. Kulm knew his grasp of the human language was far from perfect, but he hoped it was good enough to communicate with the guards.

"I would like to work as tavern guard, so it's good I'm speaking to you first! Perhaps you know somewhere where I can work?" Kulm winced inwardly. He knew he was making mistakes, but he couldn't think of how to say it properly. Hopefully the guards would understand him.

Return to “Outer Ring Archive”