The city awaits..(Annwen)

Moderators: Ashari, Mods

Vanir Alfheim
Priest of Joy

Post by Vanir Alfheim »

Loilell watched his guest and lover cook the meal for him. He was quite impressed at how quickly she got used to his kitchen. He would have been embarrassed to admit that he had taken much long to get aclamated. He pointed to the cupboard at the edge of the room, where the plates and cups were. A few simple steel plates were inside stacked up together, next to a few mugs and cups. The smell of the dinner started to fill the room and Loilell smiled wide.

"It smells delicious, Annwen. Tell me more about yourself and why you are here. What all do you hope to learn from? What all do you want from me? I find it hard to believe that you came all this way for music lessons. Tell me more about your life."
[color=green]Jayne Cobb: Shepherd Book once said to me, "If you can't do something smart, do something right." [/color]

Avatar by the wonderful Finn. Much thanks!!

Post by Guest »

Annwen took two plates and served the toast onto them, with the sauce on top. She handed one to Loilell. 'I suppose this is like...' she thought for a moment 'a stepping stone. I want to learn to be a great bard, so I came here, because this city was the place where I thought I was most likely to be able to find someone who was willing to teach me, since it is the biggest. I want to be a bard because.. ' she blushed a bit and began to speak faster 'I want to prove myself to my father, that I can be as good as.. no, better than my brothers. I want to make a success of myself. So I want to be a great bard.. THE greatest bard because then I am someone.' She took a deep breath and stared at Loilell. 'I guess I'm lucky I found you!' she added, trying to lighten her tone a little. She had said a bit more than she had meant to. She just was beginning to feel so comfortable around Loilell that she kept forgetting how little she knew of him.
Vanir Alfheim
Priest of Joy

Post by Vanir Alfheim »

Loilell listened to her intently, making note of her desire. He took a bite of the meal she had fixed. It was rather good, although a little bland, but definitely better than he could have fixed. "This is quite good, Annwen. I think I shall like having you around her. I'll be happy to teach you everything I can, but let me ask you a few questions. Did you enjoy your lesson today? Is it what you wanted? What have you done since you came here to this city? I want to know as much about you as possible, so that I can teach you easier. A teacher should always know his students." He spoke politely, before taking another bite of his toast. He walked over to another cabinet and pulled out a half bottle of wine. He poured a glass for himself and one for Annwen. "Here you go, now continue."
[color=green]Jayne Cobb: Shepherd Book once said to me, "If you can't do something smart, do something right." [/color]

Post by Guest »

Annwen thought for a moment. 'I got here.. yesterday' Was it only yesterday? she thought. It seems like a lifetime ago! 'And I wanted to find a teacher. So when Drastin mentioned you, I went to see if I could find you. I went to the temple, and asked the priestess, and then I prayed. And then I went to the inn..' She blushed, thinking about her night there with Terra. 'And then I found you. And came here.' She looked at her hands for a moment, thinking, and then pushed her hair behind her ears. I must redo my plaits she found herself thinking. She shook her head, trying to regain her concentration. 'With my music.. I want to know how to make my feelings, the beauty all around me, into music. I want to.. to live in the music. To be part of it.' She blushed again, thinking that Loilell must think that she was very intense.
Vanir Alfheim
Priest of Joy

Post by Vanir Alfheim »

Loilell studies her as she talked and noticed she did not say everything she thought, but that was not neccassarially a bad thing. He wondered what else she had not told him. He watched as she fidgeted a bit and tried to remain focused. "You seem nervous, Annwen. There is nothing to be nervous about. I can't help but notice you seem to blush quite a bit. What do you have to blush about? You did not blush when you were playing for me, even when I was with your friend, Terra. It is good that you play with such passion and heart, but it is hard to play with passion if you never feel it yourself. You must learn to fully embrace the passion around you and place it in your music. Skill is only the start of what makes a great bard and it will only take you so far. Are you prepared to do whatever you must to fully embrace yourself in your craft? You will have to shed whatever inhibitions you may still have. Is there anything you could not do if I asked it of you?"

Post by Guest »

I would do anything for you! she thought, but did not say it. Trying to relax, she answered 'Not that I can think of.. But I keep finding things I have never even dreamed of before. I think that sometimes I won't know how I will feel until I get into a situation.' She thought about her harp and smiled. 'Last night, when I played for you, that was the closest I have ever come to being part of the music itself. That was you. I want to learn how to create that all the time. So yes. I will do whatever I must.' She felt a shiver run down her spine as she remembered her emotions, and her eyes grew brighter. She suddenly realised that there had been something she had wanted to ask him. 'Um.. When are you next performing? I want to see you play so much!' She smiled at him.
Vanir Alfheim
Priest of Joy

Post by Vanir Alfheim »

Loilell smiled playfully at her answers. He could tell she was truly ready to learn how to be a great bard. He finished off the last of his meal and drink. He walked over to her and placed a hand on her shoulder. "It was a great meal, Annwen. I will show you how to be a part of the music every time you play. I do not know when my next performance is, as I don't schedule them very far in advance. My performances at the inn are usually only decided a night in advance, while else where I may three day's notice. Perhaps I may even play for you tonight, if I become inspired. Music must be inspired after all." He let his hand slip down her back lightly, before removing it completely. He spoke in a lighter tone. "What do you wish to do now? You are my guest of sorts now."

Post by Guest »

Annwen smiled with pleasure as Loilell's hand slipped down her back. Then she looked up at his face. 'If it's not too much to ask, could you show me around the city? I didn't see much yesterday, but what I did see was amazing!' She grinned at him. 'And I think I would appreciate it even more if someone who knew their way around showed me.'
Vanir Alfheim
Priest of Joy

Post by Vanir Alfheim »

Loilell smiled and bowed his head lightly. "Of course, Annwen, is there anything in particular you want to see? You have already been to the Pan's Touch, but there are many other things to see there. There is the Pan's Temple, which I believe you said you had been to, Market square, the docks, the smithy, the Tinu'nikerym, although it is filled with mostly sailors and travelling merchants. Does any of that interest you?"

Post by Guest »

'I'd love to see the marketplace' Annwen replied. 'And the docks. I love water.' She grinned at Loilell, although inside she felt a slight pang as she remembered that she had often spent time around pools with her father. Don't be silly she told herself. It's not like you're never going to see him again. Homesickness achieves nothing. She widened her grin and took Loilell's hands. 'I can't wait to see the city.'
Vanir Alfheim
Priest of Joy

Post by Vanir Alfheim »

Loilell walked over and showed Annwen outside. He placed his arm around her waist and guided her to the Market Square. A kalidoscope of color assults her eyes as they gaze upon booths draped in brightly colored cloths as each merchant attempts to catch the customer's eye and patronage. The festoons do serve one main purpose; they give a visual distraction to the cacophony of sound that is coming from all directions, calling at people to try this ware or that above young muscians practicing on unsuspecting bypassers.

Fishmongers from Fea Taur, Wine from Dae Ruid, Pottery and Tapestries from the Centaur cities, fresh fruits and vegitables among clothing and every other concievable item a Panling would ever need in his daily life.

At the far end of the Market away from the majority of the hustle and bustle is the blue and black striped bunting of the bowmaster. Rumor has it he will only sell to those who can pass his tests... but the prize is an authentic longbow.

Loilell looks at Annwen as they walk down the streets and booths of the Square. "Do you see anything that you like, Annwen?"

Post by Guest »

Annwen gazed at all the booths in awe. She had never seen so many different things for sale in one place. She looked at each in turn, her mouth open at the variety of colours and goods. As she stared, her eyes were drawn across the square to the bowmaster's stall. She turned to Loilell. 'May we go and look at that?' she asked breathlessly, pointing, her eyes shining with wonderment.
Vanir Alfheim
Priest of Joy

Post by Vanir Alfheim »

Loilell nodded and walked with ehr down there. He spoke quietly as they approached him. "Be careful, Annwen. He is a crafty merchant. I hear he will only sell to you if you can pass his test, which in none too easy. I know that I would not have the skills for it, but I hardly know what to do with a bow." He walks her down to the stall and looks at everything with feigned interest.

The bowmaster quickly spots the new customers. "Welcome to my humble stand. My name is Danston Uller, but everyone knows me by Ull. Are you interested in me fine bows? I only sell them to someone worthy of the prize. Would you care to test your luck?" Loilell shook his head, but looked at Annwen.

"I have no desire, but I am not the one looking at your bows. Annwen, do you wish to try?"

Post by Guest »

Annwen looked at Loilell and then back at Ull. 'I'd like to try' she said. 'What do I have to do?' She hoped that the time and effort her father had put into teaching her about bows would pay off, although she knew that she was only a beginner by most standards.
Vanir Alfheim
Priest of Joy

Post by Vanir Alfheim »

Ull pointed to a clearing just behind his booth. It was at the edge of town, so there were only a few trees and bushes. There was a piece of parchment on one ot the far trees about twenty or so paces away. It was hard to see, but the parchment appeared to have five lines of large-printed words on it. The elven shopkeeper grinned and spoke in a polite tone. "The parchment there contains the word 'Worthy' once and 'Unworthy' four times. If you can hit he word 'Worthy' from here, then you shall indeed be worth of my wares. You may have five arrows to test your skill. It is quite a distance, so be sure to give it all your muscle, little woman."

Post by Guest »

Annwen swung her hair over her shoulder, out of the way, and took out her bow. She placed an arrow and sighted along it. She thought that she could make out the word worthy on the paper, and as she had often been told by her father that her eyesight was good, she hoped that she was aiming at the right place. 'Help me, Pan' she whispered, and then fired.
Vanir Alfheim
Priest of Joy

Post by Vanir Alfheim »

The arrow landed just a pace short of the tree. Ull let out a mocking sigh and handed her another arrow. "I should known you would not have the strength to reach the tree."

Post by Guest »

Annwen didn't let his comments get to her. She was used to being teased by her brothers at home about her lack of skill compared to them, so she simply turned and smiled at Loilell before placing another arrow in her bow. She closed her eyes and imagined that she had ten times the strength she actually possessed. Then, feeling more confident, she drew back the bowstring and sighted along the arrow at the word. When she was happy with her aim, she fired again, trying to keep her aim as the arrow flew out of the string.
Vanir Alfheim
Priest of Joy

Post by Vanir Alfheim »

The burst of confidense was enough to give Annwen the extra strength she needed to reach the tree, although a slight change in wind had shifted her arrow. She could tell it had struck the tree, just inches above the parchment. Ull laughed once more and handed her another arrow. He grinned wide as he spoke. "Perhaps I should give all the arrows now and save myself some time. Only a skilled archer like myself could make such a shot. I am surprised you even managed to find the tree."

Post by Guest »

Annwen smiled. Although Ull had perhaps meant his comment as criticism, she took it as a compliment. This time, when taking the arrow, she sighted slightly lower than she had before to compensate for the wind change, and, taking a deep breath and imagining the same energy rush as before, fired the arrow again.
Vanir Alfheim
Priest of Joy

Post by Vanir Alfheim »

The arrow fired straight and true, but missed the correct word when it struck the parchment. The aim was much better than before and the cocky bowmaker made no snide comments. Liolell smiled at Annwem, obviously impressed with her. Ull handed her the fourth arrow and held the last one in his hands. Annwen felt a sudden swell of energy and relaxation coming from her.

Post by Guest »

Annwen looked at the last shot and examined how far it had missed by. She suddenly seemed to feel much calmer and more relaxed, although she didn't know quite why. Perhaps it's because Ull didn't say anything, she thought. In a way, she felt like she had already proved she could do it.

Using the word worthy as her centre, Annwen sighted the fourth arrow on the opposite side to where her last shot had landed, about the same distance away. She hoped that this would mean it landed on the word. She pulled back the bowstring strongly, aided by the strange new energy, and fired for the fourth time. This time, she felt much less anxious, and as she watched the arrow fly towards the target, she felt a strange sense of peace. It almost seemed as though it was flying in slow-motion.
Vanir Alfheim
Priest of Joy

Post by Vanir Alfheim »

The arrow struck the parchment once more, but this time it soundly hit the correct word. Loilell smiled brightly and looked at Ull. "I do believe you may keep that last arrow, Danston Uller. The lady has passed your test, has she not?"

Ull looked obviously upset by the girl's shot, but nodded his head anyways. He handed the girl an exquisite looking recurv bow. "Perhaps this will suit your skills much better. It quite easier to use for those who do not always have the power of other archers." The snide comment did little to change the fact that Annwen had still beaten his challenge. The bow was lighter than her current bow, yet seemed to be stronger and of much better quality. "There you go. It is your prize for besting the challenge."

Post by Guest »

Annwen took the bow and stared at it in amazement, turning it over and over in her hands. She looked at Ull, smiling widely with joy. 'Thankyou!' she exclaimed. Although she had wanted to try, she had never truly believed that she would manage to win! She looked at Loilell, her smile splitting her face in two. 'Thanks for letting me try!' she said, still holding the bow out in front of her in wonderment.
Vanir Alfheim
Priest of Joy

Post by Vanir Alfheim »

Loilell walked over to Annwen, smiling brightly at her. He placed a kiss on her cheek and slipped his arm around her waist. 'Congratulations, Annwen. It was good that you shut up his arrogant mouth. I believe he was quite in need a good humbling. Where shall we go next, my dear? Is there anything else you would like to do? I suspect we only have another mark or less of daylight." He was quite correct as the sky had already grown a bit dimmer as the tradetide was coming to a close.

Return to “Aveas Archive”