Samheen 6, Out of one darkness… and into another...

Moderator: Mods

Elvin Motricé
Retired staff

Post by Elvin Motricé »

Something to her left caught Windrunner's eyes, a tall figure dressed in black approached the Orcs fast. It took a few seconds before Windrunner saw that it was Kelrick.

Suddenly the Human cast his hands forward and a ball of fire began to rotate between his hands.

In the meanwhile Raevyn found a flaw in her reasoning. Although the Orc didn't wear a helmet he was heavily armed and immensely strong. All that she could do was keeping him away from Sarendara. The other Orcs began closing inn...

Windrunner saw Kelrick raising his hands, the ball moving with them, and throwing the glowing fury into the air.

Suddenly a howling sound echoed through the forests as the ball began to roll high in the air towards the Orc that was being strangled by Raevyn at an amazing speed.

Windrunner saw how Kelrick's hand came up, ordering the bal to stop right above her and the others where it slowly rotated going through all colours of the visible spectrum, from dark black to a blinding white. They could feel the heat on their faces...

Suddenly Kelrick spoke and they could hear him, even through the noise the glowing ball of magical fire and the Orcs who were screaming. His voice sounded immensely soft and cold: "You have made your last mistake, Yarrag."

The ball began to pour itself out in a small line over the Orc and Raevyn and Sarendara felt the heat searing through the body of the foolish Orc. Raevyn could feel the heat beginning to burn through the Orcs plate. It was amazing that she hadn't burned herself yet... She had little time to get off the Orc before the heat would consume her. The Orc loosened his grip on Sarendara and she got the same feeling as Rae...
"- and so's Mister Motricé." Becca smiled wryly. "He's probably going to go - he's not set anything on fire for a few months, so he's got to be going through withdrawal by now." ~ Becca Acerbi
Raevyn D`Altamooriana
Mercenary

Post by Raevyn D`Altamooriana »

... quickly jumped off of the very hot orc's back. The thought of kicking it entered her mind but quickly subsided. She looked over to Kelrick and then back at the orc. She was quietly amazed at what she had just beheld.

Raevyn stepped back rather sheepishly and stood by Sarendara. The display of the human had cast a severe cloud of doubt over the young dark elf's plans. Even though she didn't know much of magic, it was enough to make realize that things wouldn't be as easy as she origianlly thought.

Raevyn wanted to thank him, but didn't. The whole scene was a bit embarassing. Her face went from amazement to a cold glare as she looked towards Windrunner. "How come you did not warn us Windy?"

Doubt of Windy's faithfulness to the Guard was growing by the moment. Her original thought of her as a liabilty to begin with suddenly smacked her in the face. All this combined with her own inability to do much about the situation clouded Raevyn's head and she for the first time felt helpless.

"I think," the dark elf paused and looked around. "I think it is best we return to the tent."
The fiddler fiddled his violin which smelled horribly like fresh afterbirth boiled in cabbage.

© Marta @ www.marta-dahlig.com
Windrunner

Post by Windrunner »

"Warn you? Like I knew what would happen any more then you did?" Windrunner replied, somewhat confused. Why was Raevyn being so cold to her? How the heck was she supposed to have advanced knowledge of this? "Besides, had I known, there was still no way I would be able to convince you I was telling the truth."
Last edited by Windrunner on Sat Sep 27, 2003 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sarendara

Post by Sarendara »

Sarendara pulled away from the Orc still very aware at her lack of clothes. She hastily crossed her arms, trying to conceal her chest. Slightly numb at the blatant display of magic right in front of her, Sarendara looked at the human, clearly embarrassed at their lack of trust for him. He had just saved both Raevyn and herself and stopped orcs from coming after them.

"Thank you," Sarendara muttered. She smiled hesitantly and nodded to Raevyn's idea. "I think the tent would be a good idea." But Sarendara made no movement towards it. Instead, she watched the human quietly. Perhaps waiting for his nod that said they could go back without being harmed, or maybe looking for something inside of him that she had not seen. Either way... he was powerful. AND he had helped them.
Raevyn D`Altamooriana
Mercenary

Raevyn didn't wait, as soon as she had spoken she returned to the confines of the tent. Their was nothing that she could see being done about an escape now. Even if they were armed chances are they would die fully armed. Her spirits were dampedned, but not broken. Raevyn took a seat and buried her face in her hands, and her thoughts were going a mile a minute.
The fiddler fiddled his violin which smelled horribly like fresh afterbirth boiled in cabbage.

Raevyn D`Altamooriana
Mercenary

and she kept thinking... 8)

Sarendara

Post by Sarendara »

Sarendara, tired of watching the Gnome and embarrassed by the while situation quietly turned and went back to the tent. Seeing Raevyn looking depressed, Sarendara's hope went down several notches and she quietly took a seat, making enough noise for Raevyn to know that she was there.
Windrunner

Post by Windrunner »

Windrunner soon returned to the tent as well, after thanking Kelrick for helping them out, finding it pointless to remain much longer.
Elvin Motricé
Retired staff

Post by Elvin Motricé »

Kelrick didn't say much to Windrunner, it seemed that he was seething, the man was barely able to speak from pure rage. It was terrible to see those oh so perfect features twisted in rage. It gave them an otherwordly and frightening look as if an evil ghost had just possed Kelrick...

The Gnome handed them new towels silently and went outside to talk to its master. A few moments later the Human and the Gnome entered the tent. His icey eyes looked at the three women that stood before him: "You'ld better not try something like that again without proper clothing and weapons." With a flick of his wrist a bundle wrapped in grey cloth floated in and settled in front of their feet.
"- and so's Mister Motricé." Becca smiled wryly. "He's probably going to go - he's not set anything on fire for a few months, so he's got to be going through withdrawal by now." ~ Becca Acerbi
Sarendara

Post by Sarendara »

Sarendara bit her lip and accepted to towel from the gnome. She hastily wrapped it around herself and continued to look at the floor, unsure of what to do or say. She felt trapped, confused, and bewildered. She looked up when the human and gnome entered and noted the man's clearly annoyed countenance. She wondered if he was more annoyed by their behavior or the orcs.

Sarendara looked up and her eyes widened slightly when the man spoke. He seemed to not mind what they had done. She sighed, wondering what to say. But, instead of saying anything, bent down and opened the gray cloth on the floor. Uncomfortable at the lack of noise, she said, "Why do you try and... change them?"
Last edited by Sarendara on Mon Oct 06, 2003 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elvin Motricé
Retired staff

Post by Elvin Motricé »

As soon as they opened the bundle the distinct glance of mithril steel could be seen. On the now opened cloth lay there entire equipment and more... Items that, judging by their size, could only belong to Kael.

Kelrick looked at them, his eyes narrowed: "Because every living being deserves a chance. If you'ld have walked into most armies on this planet the same thing would have happened. Not all are noble and that is a truth that can be said about Elves as well."
Raevyn D`Altamooriana
Mercenary

raevyn did very little to acknowledge Kelrick's presence after they were safely inside the tent. It was obvious to her that his abilities were well beyond hers and there was nothing she could do to change things. At least for the moment. She was festering on the inside. The ominous feeling of being trapped here was eating away at her.

it wasn't until the sack of their belongings just appeared at their feet did she seem to snap out of her thoughts. Oh she was happy at the sight of it, but even fully armed what would their chances of making it out alive be?

Without thought the dark elf went to begin the tedious process of putting everything back on. More than once she thought of asking the mage, he had to be a mage, how else could he do the things he did? She thought of asking him to just magically put it all back on instead of having them do it manually.

Her brief moment of happiness was shattered when she noticed the smaller things. Things she knew to be Kael's things. Raevyn was silent. It could only mean the little bugger had got himself killed, probably along with the rest of them. Sadness ensued. Or a feeling that could come close to it. She went over and picked up his sword, the one he had showed her back in the barracks. She held it close to her like a new mother holding an infant.

It was almost too much to bear, but Raevyn knew she had to remain calm. "Where is he? What did you do to him and the others," the dark elf asked angrily. " She could feel the hatred begin to well up inside of her.
"Why did you kill Kael and the others but not us?"

Raevyn wasn't going to show any emotion. Her questions were as cold as steel. She wanted to scream but wouldn't. "What do you plan on doing with us?" Raevyn pictured kael's excitment when he showed her the sword. It was a very fine one she could tell that easily. "Looks like he will not be needing this any longer," Raevyn said just as coldly as she put it back in it's sheath and put it alongside her things. Finally she gave in, "Could you just use your magic to put this stuff on us?"

Elvin Motricé
Retired staff

Post by Elvin Motricé »

Kerlick looked at Raevyn, has face blank, a cold fire burning in his eyes: "Others? So there were more of you? Well, how interesting. You never told me that. Decided that you're finally going to trust me?"

The Gnome stepped from behind its master and began to help Raevyn adjust the straps on her armour.

Kerlick looked at him and smiled: "No, I can not magically clothe you. That would ask for a very precise control and weaving. It would drain me completly. But as you see you already got some help," pushing his mantle backwards over his shoulders with his hands he looked at the two others: "It is time that we talk. You've acted like children today. You've violated the trust I gave you."
Sarendara

Post by Sarendara »

Sarendara, instead of responding to the accurate comment, also put on her armor, happy to be wearing something that would, indeed, protect her. She bit her lip slightly when the noticed Kael's armor and shook her head at Raevyn, trying to stop the dark elf from making any more trouble. They were already in plenty of it.

Sarendara sighed and, while putting on her armor, felt a wave of relief draw over her. It was not like she knew how to use the armor... but at least she had it one her. At last, she looked up at the human. "We are unsure about you. How are we supposed to know what you will or will not do with us?" Sarendara blushed and drew up to her full height when she realized she had been slouching.
Raevyn D`Altamooriana
Mercenary

"Trust you say, Raevyn responded as she too, stood up "Trust is something that gets you killed. Just ask any dark elf that." There was no menace in her movements, only awkward uncertainty. "You can not possibly trust us, no more than you could expect us to trust you," she then added while keeping as safe a distance from the man as she could. "Trust is a concept that I do not believe I will ever grasp completely." With that the dark elf turned her attention towards Windrunner.

"Take this one for instance, Raevyn said of Windrunner. "She does not trust me and the feeling is quite mutual. " Her glare remained on Windrunner for a few flickers longer and she then faced the human again.

After a few more adjustments with the help of the little gnome, Raevyn made the final touches but making sure her dagger were in place and wiggled a bit to make sure that everything was in place. She then sat back down and waited for Windrunner dare to speak or if Sarendara's questions would be answered, or if Sare had anything else to add.
Last edited by Raevyn D`Altamooriana on Sun Oct 12, 2003 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Windrunner

Post by Windrunner »

Windrunner's response to Raevyn's remark at her was a mix of surprise and anger. Why was she singling her out like that, and treating her so coldly? "I have no idea why you distrust me, or why you believe the feeling is mutual. Then again, if you continue acting like this, maybe I should distrust you." Windrunner responded, too shocked to think that this was part of some plan, but had she thought more about it, she would have realized that this was not the first time that attitude had been displayed by the dark elf, and it probably was not an effort to decieve Kelrick.
Raevyn D`Altamooriana
Mercenary

"Because you are a wood elf, and the last wood elf I met tried to kill me," Raevyn replied oblivous to the fact that Kelrick and the gnome were still there wanting information. "So it's safe to say that I do NOT trust wood elves."

Windrunner

Post by Windrunner »

Windrunner was both surprised and saddened by this relevation. Surprised that it was a wood elf, and saddened as well that wood elves like that existed(As if there weren't enough from other races), but why should she be surprised? Had she been so foolish that, after having seen so much difference between members of a single race, that she didn't believe it would exist in her own kind as well? Of course it would. Sensing the need to response, the need to say something, anything, to try to convince Raevyn she was not at all like that(After all, distrust at a time like this could be dangerous.) she opened her mouth. "Though I know you have no reason to believe me, I am not like that, and do not wish anything like that to happen, let alone make it happen. Not all wood elves are the same." Windrunner said sadly, hoping that her words would not be disregarded as an attempt at deception.
Elvin Motricé
Retired staff

Post by Elvin Motricé »

Kelrick eyed the three and something flashed in his eyes before it disappeared again. He opened his hand and a small flame erupted above his palm. He looked at them: "What is this?"
Sarendara

Post by Sarendara »

Sarendara shifted uncomfortably as Raevyn made her acquisition against Windrunner and hoped that the dark elf had never met a... bad... high elf. She was slightly annoyed by Windrunner's lack of character. The girl seemed to be very very nice and seemed to trust everyone deeply. Perhaps SHE should become that way? Sarendara doubted if that would be possible.

Sarendara looked up, clearly startled, as the flame erupted on the man's palm. What was he trying to prove to them? Sarendara frowned crossly and sighed. "A flame". She raised her eyebrows slightly and regretted the lack of manners that she was displaying. No matter what the circumstances were... she was... in his house. This was his place, not hers. "Magic," Sarendara added to let him know she understood what he could do.
Last edited by Sarendara on Mon Oct 20, 2003 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Raevyn D`Altamooriana
Mercenary

Raevyn shrugged off Windrunner's reply. "It is pointless with you," she said before the mage did his trick. The dark elf looked at it and wondered if it was what he shot at her while she was on the orc's back. It was all she could do to prevent from killing the wood elf where she stood. Something in which she could easily say happened while they were all kidnapped.

The only flaw in that plan would be Sarendara blabbering what really happened to Windrunner if the dark elf did actually kill her. Something which the dark elf didn't think she would do, but couldn't be too certain of.

With what little self restraint she had left the dark elf looked at Sarendara then back at the mage. "A magical fire," she chimed in all proud of herself for stating what she thought to be the obvious.
Last edited by Raevyn D`Altamooriana on Tue Oct 21, 2003 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Elvin Motricé
Retired staff

Post by Elvin Motricé »

Kelrick raised a brow: "Is it?" He held his hand to one of the wooden poles supporting the tent and after a few burns pulled it back. Nothing had happened. The pole wasn't even scorched. A new flame erupted in his other hand and he brought this to the pole and this time the smell of burning wood teased their nostrils.

He looked at the three and brought his hand together, the two flames started twhirling around each other, casting dark shades around his eye sockets: "Reality and illusion. Both flames have the same appearance but not the same... content."
Sarendara

Post by Sarendara »

Sarendara watched the flames quietly. She disliked magic unless it was used for useful purposes. This seemed useless in her eyes. What was he trying to prove? Magic was a tool that some had while others did not... she did not. She probably never would. Sarendara did not care. She believed in fighting an opponent evenly, not throwing fake flames at someone else.

Yet, Sarendara could not pull her eyes away from the two flames, nor the person that was holding them. Sarendara was so enwrapped that she did not notice the majority of what Raevyn was saying to Windrunner. Soon realizing that she was tired and uncomfortable, Sarendara shifted on her feet and sighed. He mind started wandering to the orcs while her eyes remained fixed on the flame.

Image... reality... Orcs. Orcs. He wants us to realize that the orcs are the harmless flame. The image... orcs. Sarendara blinked and looked at Kelrick thoughtfully. "Orcs can be much more harmful then an image". She frowned, hoping that she had drawn the right conclusion.
Elvin Motricé
Retired staff

Post by Elvin Motricé »

Kerlick's unsettling eyes looked at Sarendara and the room seemed to chill when he spoke: "Apparently the stories I've heard about the Emerald Guard are false. Those that joined should be the elite of their race. Is it that hard to grasp what I'm trying to say?"

He slapped his hands together with a sharp whack and the two flames disappeared. "What something truly is can not be judged by the outside, <i>young</i> girl," Kerlick's voice sounded cold, "I think I've had more then enough patience with you. Now hear your punishment for abusing my trust. You will fight this very day against someone from this camp. You can pick the weapons and the person you will fight. I hope that your intelligence doesn't fail you."
Last edited by Elvin Motricé on Thu Oct 30, 2003 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raevyn D`Altamooriana
Mercenary

Raevyn wanted to fall over with laughter. The thought of Sarendara fighting was a rich one indeed. If there was a Miss Meek contest in Tazlure, Sare would definitely be the winner. However the quirky dark elf refrained and did her best not to point and laugh. If she did the mage might tell her to do the same.

Raevyn wanted to tell her to pick the gnome, but that too would surely get her into having to fight someone as well. Something which she didn't want to do, not unless it was Windrunner.
Last edited by Raevyn D`Altamooriana on Thu Oct 30, 2003 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Le Bois Noire Archive”