Samheen 6, Out of one darkness… and into another...

Moderator: Mods

Windrunner

The confusing situation

Post by Windrunner »

All the events that had just happened baffled Windrunner, each one more then the other, and she was too confused to even respond for a while. Raevyn's attempt to sacrifice her so the others could go actually seemed the most sensible, it was better two of them lived then none of them, though it did seem very cruel. She wouldn't hold a grudge for it or anything, the wood elf hadn't been very helpful at all, and if her death could save the others from the same fate she would accept it. The human's telling the orc to stop, and the orc's fear of him seemed even more unusual, since when did orcs attack other orcs and work for humans? Still, the situation was appearing better then before. And Sarendara, Sarendara of all people taking command of the situation and acting diplomatic so well, despite all the things that had just happened. To confused to even know what to say, Windrunner remained silent, but she felt much more useless then before. While the other two were doing quite well at keeping the group alive, all she was good for was a sacrifice. Somehow, Windrunner would make sure she did something useful, she didn't want to continue being useless at all, but how?
Elvin Motricé
Retired staff

Post by Elvin Motricé »

The Human smiled: "Of course! Of course! My friends have been very rude to you. Don't mind them, please. They're twisted in how they deal with the other races. Not getting accepted usually does that to you," he snapped his fingers and the ropes around their arms and legs untied themselves, jolts of pain shot through them as the blood began to circulate through their feet and hands again.

"Does that feel better?" the man replied, smiling. After a moment he laughed out loud: "Where are my manners? I forgot to introduce myself! I am Kelrick and it is a pleasure to meet you."

he looked at Windrunner: "Are you alright, miss? you haven't spoken a word since I entered this clearing," he extended his hand to help her up.[/url]
Last edited by Elvin Motricé on Tue Aug 19, 2003 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"- and so's Mister Motricé." Becca smiled wryly. "He's probably going to go - he's not set anything on fire for a few months, so he's got to be going through withdrawal by now." ~ Becca Acerbi
Windrunner

Re:

Post by Windrunner »

Windrunner was a bit taken aback by the human's kindness and concern. Wasn't this the same person who considered an orc that toyed with their lives like that a friend? Still, his concern seemed genuine, and even if it wasn't, she couldn't think of a reason to be cold to him during this situation. "I'm fine, just a bit shaken by recent events." Windrunner responded truthfully, still trying to figure out Kelrick.
Sarendara

Post by Sarendara »

Sarendara, still eying the human skeptically, quickly got to her feet and looked around. She wondered if there would be a need to run in the immediate future. Maybe someone would stop her if she tried to leave... she was not sure. Sarendara badly wanted to figure this person out. She needed to... had to. He had first seemed so dangerous... but now.... why had he let them get up if he wanted to harm them? Who were these orcs? She needed answers to questions she did not know how to phrase.

Sarendara sighed and felt her head and heart pounding. "A pleasure to meet you. How is it that... that you have... come upon us? Is it not unusual for a human to be wandering in these parts? Perhaps we should leave now so we don't disturb you." She raised her eyebrows questioningly, wondering how he would respond. "We would not want to stay here unwelcome." Sarendara stretched out her arms in relief and shook her legs slightly to regain blood in areas where it had been lost.

Suddenly, Sarendara looked up at the human and realized that she might gain something from this encounter. "Do you know anything about the orcs around here?" If she ever got out, she could report this to Derron... if he would talk to her again. Was it her fault for getting captured? Would he be angry with her? Was it HIS fault? He should have been protecting them. Where was he? Where were her fellow trainees? "Have you happened to spot any other elves around here?"
Elvin Motricé
Retired staff

Post by Elvin Motricé »

Kelrick smiled warmly at Windrunner: "We'll do something about that. As soon as we reach our camp you can bathe and clean yourself up."

Kelrick looked at Sarendara and grinned: "No, no you're not unwelcome! Au contrare, you'll be my guests to learn, I'm afraid that most other races do not understand the Orcs. Their hatred is as foolish as that of the group who captured you and your companions."

Looking over the threesome he raised a brow: "I gather that are not the clothes you arrived in?"
"- and so's Mister Motricé." Becca smiled wryly. "He's probably going to go - he's not set anything on fire for a few months, so he's got to be going through withdrawal by now." ~ Becca Acerbi
Windrunner

Re:

Post by Windrunner »

Though she was a bit relieved she would be able to clean herself up, it was actually Kelrick's words to Sarendara that effected her the most. Were orcs really a misunderstood race, like Kelrick claimed? She had seen more then her share of orcs that could only be described as evil, but were these just a minority, or merely being forced to do these by corrupt leaders? Was Kelrick actually like her, trying to make a misunderstood race less hated?(Of course, at the moment Windrunner was merely seeking the power to actually be able to do anything about it, but still.) "I understand what you mean about orcs not being as evil as many of us think, I doubt any species could be that bad." Windrunner responded, and then to the human's other question, answered "We were dressed for battle when captured by that group of orcs, but when we awoke from the injuries caused in battle, we found ourselves wearing these."
Raevyn D`Altamooriana
Mercenary

Post by Raevyn D`Altamooriana »

After being unceremoniously dumped face first into the dirt after the ropes were undone, Raevyn stood up and wiped herself off. She was intrigued by the human, but she was equally as cautious of him. Trust wasn't something that came easy for dark elves, and now probably wasn't going to be any different. But that was something she wasn't about to reveal, not yet at least.

"After allowing us to bath and get our things," Raevyn started. "What do you intend to do with us?" Her voice was surprisingly soft as she spoke, but it was clearly evident that she wasn't comfortable. Fact was, until she got her weapons back, she probably wouldn't be too comfortable.

The dark elf was actually feeling somewhat awkward in the smelly rags and wanted nothing more than to get clean. "Will we be free to go, or will we be your captives as well?"
Last edited by Raevyn D`Altamooriana on Fri Aug 22, 2003 10:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The fiddler fiddled his violin which smelled horribly like fresh afterbirth boiled in cabbage.

© Marta @ www.marta-dahlig.com
Sarendara

Post by Sarendara »

Sarendara fidgeted slightly. Raevyn had keyed into precisely what she had been afraid to ask. The dark elf was blunt... thankfully someone was. With all of her attempts to speak eloquently, the actual questions had never been answered... at least, the important ones. She also had forgot to ask about their weapons and armor... that had been foolish. With weapons she was sure that she would feel more comfortable... not that she could use them.

This man bothered Sarendara. Why would he go through so much to kill orcs? Had he known they were there? Who was he? How could he control... yes control orcs? These questions puzzled her and made her uneasy.

"Yes... have you seen our equipment?" Watching him, she realized he was intelligent... very intelligent. Why would such a person stay with orcs? Why would a human be here? "We really should go so that we can tell our... friends... that we are safe." She did not want to mention much about themselves as she did not know about him.

It was such an awkward situation. The high elf did not know what to say, nor do. She hated it. Not knowing why, she was starting to hate this person in front of her. How could he talk normally with orcs around him? How could he care about them? How dare he. Not that he had done anything. Nothing. That bothered Sarendara even more. She was used to shallow people... why couldn’t he be shallow? Nearly pouting with annoyance Sarendara sighed and controlled herself. Something had better happen soon.

"If you don't mind. We would like to know more about who you are... I don't usually talk to strangers." She smiled timidly and waited, still wondering about Raevyn's question. Perhaps she had spoken to cover up the question and make it seem more natural... or from annoyance. Whatever it was, she wanted answers.

Yet, there was something that she did notice. The man did not treat Raevyn, a dark elf, any differently from them. Perhaps humans did not hold prejudice like her people did... but... it seemed odd. Either he was trying to be very friendly or, he just did not notice or care.
Elvin Motricé
Retired staff

Post by Elvin Motricé »

Kelrick eyed the Dark Elf and looked amused: "Ah! I should have known that you were members of the Emerald Guard," he looked at Raevyn, "even here we have heard the rumours of a Dark Elf joining the Guard. I am sorry I didn't notice you before," his eyes twinkled, it was highly unlikely that he had not seen Raevyn before, it was almost... as if he could read Sarendara's mind...

He chuckled: "Oh please, prisoners is such a negative word! Should I have prisoners walk around without ties? No, no, my friends, you're to be my guests for a while. I am sorry for the inconvenience but I can not let you tell your comrades that we are here. They might try to kill us."

He turned to Sarendara: "Yes, I'll talk to the Orcs to see if they found your equipment in the camp. I'll ask them as soon as the three of you are settled in."

While talking they had reached an encampment and between the small, dirty tents of the Orcs stood one big, colourful tent. Kelrick raised a brow when Sarendara asked her last question and stopped just before the tent: "You wish to know more about me? Perhaps you should tell me something about you first. I have yet to hear your names."
Sarendara

Post by Sarendara »

Sarendara bit her lip to keep herself from acting surprised at what the human had said about Raevyn. He had a name... Sarendara did not want to put a name to this person. So... he had known she was a dark elf? He had treated her the same as them. Perhaps he really did care about the orcs around them. Perhaps he did not distinguish between races. She did not care. Perhaps if he had agreed to talk to them in different circumstances she would have been happy but... not then.

Guests for a while... inconvenience. How long would it be? Sarendara had been afraid something like this would happen. How would her companions react? What would the other trainees do? She was quick to remember how Kael felt about Raevyn. They would not leave them here... or Kael would not. Sarendara doubted anyone would want to. BUT everyone else did not know where they were. Sarendara sighed and felt her shoulders slump slightly. She was tired, annoyed at having so much happen in so little time, and worried.

Sarendara doubted that Windrunner was really stressed out. She seemed to not mind these types of situations. Also... she was not showing any strain. Just logic. How could she do that? But Raevyn... Sarendara knew Raevyn did not like orcs. How would Raevyn handle the situation? Sarendara glanced over at Raevyn trying to figure out what the dark elf was thinking. So far she looked composed... alert but not afraid. That was reasurring. Sarendara wondered what the others would have done in her situation. They no doubt would have tried to be noble and run out. Or they might have gone along... maybe. They always had plans. Why did she not have a plan?

It was not as if she was about to get hurt. She was untied and basically unharmed. Actually... the perdicament she was in was slightly embarrassing. What would happen if they were found just walking around free of any bonds? Sarendara cared a lot about how people viewed her. She did not want to look bad to anyone. Especially not her friends. Yet, there was nothing she could do. Sarendara looked up again at Raevyn trying to see if she had any ideas.

The Emerald Guardsmen might try and kill us, he said. Yes, she supposed they would. The idea seemed alright to her. Why not kill them?

When the human mentioned giving them their equipment if found, Sarendara gave a quick nod. She wondered if he had anything against Emerald Guardsmen. She hoped he did not... that would make him trust them more... she hoped. "We would appreciate it back very much. It has...Thank you." She stopped before adding how much it meant to her. Perhaps being overcautious with everything she said, Sarendara did not want to tell the human more then he needed to know. She doubted that he would use it against them... but she never knew. Why were the orcs so afraid of him?

He wanted to know their names. Well... Sarendara had already told him hers. The others could do with the question as they wished. But, she added in case he had forgotten. "Sarendara." She looked at him and then her eyes fell to the floor.

Questions about why she was here and what she was doing were coming back into her head. She felt herself getting more and more tense. She needed to know more. Knowledge would give them the advantage. Perhaps a more specific question would coax him into speaking? "I am sorry. Perhaps my question was too much to ask. You do barely know us. I am just so confused. The day has been so long and..." She sighed and looked at him sincerely, "I don't know what has gotten in to me." She blushed slightly and looked back at the floor. What am I doing? What am I TRYING to do?"I just wanted to... to... know if you were nice." Sarendara frowned. That had not really been the ending she had been going for.

Sarendara blushed some more and looked at the ground. She was acting desperately. Perhaps she had said that to gain sympathy, or the words just had to come out but Sarendara felt confused by what she had said. Why had she said it? Sarendara waited hoping that something would happen... anything to get her away from this place. The man was not… horrible. He had done nothing yet to make her hate him. But this place made her tensions run high. Sarendara felt herself become more and more desperate. She did not know what was going on… she needed to KNOW.
Raevyn D`Altamooriana
Mercenary

"That is correct, we are Emerald Guards," Raevyn answered dryly. The dark elf remained very skeptical of them human and wasn't about to let down the little guard she had left at the moment. The fact that he had known about her made her even more cautious. Not to mention the recent look in his eye when he came to that relization.

Unlike Sarendara who seemed to be making a bumbling idiot of herself while trying to speak to this man, Raevyn wasn't ready to tell him anything more than he needed to know. But at least Sare was putting forth the effort, and that meant alot in the eyes of the calculating dark elf.

His answers weren't exactly reassuring either. There was something more than what appeared on the surface, Raevyn just couldn't figure out what it was just yet. She would remain cordial for the moment, but her questions would remain direct and her answers short.

"Is it common nature for humans to have guests, or friends as you call us, that can not leave your company," Raevyn then asked. This man was no friend of hers and his brazeness to call her friend offended her. Raevyn didn't have friends, only associates. People that she associated with only as long as she needed to. She continued, "And how can you call as friends if you know nothing of us except for the fact that we are Emerald Guards?"

As they walked and talked Raevyn surveyed the layout of things. It was all very alien to her, but she would need to know where to go and what to do when they make their escape. That's if they could escape. "Your friends as you call them, the orcs. They know exactly," she put a bit of emphasis on the word exact to make her point, "where our things are. They captured us after all. So returning our belongings to us should not take much effort at all on your part."

Raevyn wanted to say something to Sarendara in Elvish, but dared not to. If this man could communicate with the orcs in their language, chances are he knew elven tongue too. So for now any of her plans would have to wait until they were alone and out of earshot of the rest.

Why was he so scared being killed by the Guard she wondered. What was he hiding? Was she already walking with a dead man? The Guard would find them and kill them if any harm fell up her and her comrades. That was certain. She would kill him and his orcish friends the first chance she got if she could. That she knew. For know though Raevyn would just go along with things.
The fiddler fiddled his violin which smelled horribly like fresh afterbirth boiled in cabbage.

Elvin Motricé
Retired staff

Post by Elvin Motricé »

Kelrick laughed: "Oh no, not at all, dark one! But it is necesarry in this situation. Not only to preserve my own life but also yours..."
Sarendara

Post by Sarendara »

Sarendara had nothing more to say. She was angered by her attempt to speak logically and worried by everything around her. She just wanted answers and if she kept asking questions, she doubted that any would be given. Sarendara waited quietly, shifting slightly at the eerie warning. Preserve ‘her own’ life?
Windrunner

Re:

Post by Windrunner »

Though it was easy enough to see what Kelrick meant by preserving his own life, with the whole war thing going on his life could be easily endangered if the others came, Windrunner couldn't figure out what he meant by "Also yours."(Or whether he was referring only to Raevyn, or the group as a whole, but both possibilities were equally baffling, so it didn't matter.) "Please elaborate." She asked bluntly, what he meant was very confusing. "How will calling the others endanger the lives of any of us?"
Raevyn D`Altamooriana
Mercenary

Raevyn remained constant with her barrage of questions. Questions which Kelrick already proved he couldn't answer. But now it was apparent that the dark elf would have to bargain with him.

"Your life is precious to you, that much I can tell," the dark elf then stated to him. "A life that I can protect if you are willing to listen." Even though the situation was a desperate one, you wouldn't be able to tell by looking at her. She turned and looked directly at the human. "You will most certainly die if any harm befalls us. Do not doubt that fact. But I as an Emerald Guard will guarantee that your life will be spared if our belongings are returned to us. I will also assure you that once our weapons and armor are returned to us that we will not us them against you."

Her eyes remained focused upon his, as she spoke and her voice and demeanor were unwavering. "Furthermore once our comrades found out how you saved us from danger and rescued us, I am cerain they will reward you in some manner. Maybe not monetarily but somehow they will. It would be in your best interest...friend to keep us safe and alive."

Elvin Motricé
Retired staff

Post by Elvin Motricé »

Kelrick sighed when he heard Windrunner: "My master and I try to establish a new reign under the Orcs. One that will make them more acceptable to others. But some resist. If I let you go from this place you would find death at the hands of the rebels. We are not ready yet to reveal our force to them," he elaborated, "The troups we attacked here stood under our command but did not obey their orders and refused to put down their weapons. We could not let them live, they knew our numbers."
He shook his head sadly: "So many losses. I hope it will be for a good cause."

He looked amused when Raevyn began talking: "Oh but it was my intent to give you back your armor and weapons and all other equipment the Orcs might have stolen. Consider it an act of trust and an apology that I must keep you here for a while."

His eyes narrowed when Raevyn came to the words 'reward' and 'monetarily': Do you think I want a reward? That my life is precious to me? No, the lives of these creatures that you seem to hate so much are precious to me! If I let you go back they will die and I will not carry that burden!"

His voice became tranquil again, spreading a feeling of comfort over them as the arms of a lover brought safety: "Please, forgive me my outburst. It should never have happened."
Windrunner

Re:

Post by Windrunner »

"It's understandable, you were worried about your comrades' fate." Windrunner responded sympathetically, and then, to Raevyn and Sarendara, added "While I know there are some orcs who are despicable creatures, they can't all be that bad, can they?" in an attempt to have her comrades know her reasoning, and not dismiss her as insane.
Last edited by Windrunner on Fri Aug 29, 2003 4:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Raevyn D`Altamooriana
Mercenary

By now any doubts as to the insanity of Windrunner had been completely wiped away in the eyes of the dark elf. "Have you ever met an orc that did not try to kill you," Raevyn asked of her slightly slow witted comrade. Well Windy could be smart for all Raevyn knew, but right now her ignorance of her captors was painfully obvious.

Windrunner

Post by Windrunner »

"No, not at the moment I haven't. But then again, I haven't met that many orcs, and I had similar misconceptions about many other races when I had met that few in number." Windrunner explained. "Besides, I think there is a good chance that the orcs harbor the same hatreds for us many of us do to them, and if asked if they had met an elf that didn't try to kill them, would answer no as well." She added, though she had doubts it would convince Raevyn.
Sarendara

Post by Sarendara »

Sarendara stared incredulously at Windrunner. How could she be thinking so reasonably and so unreasonably at the same time? Apparently, Windrunner was falling for what the human was saying. Either that or he was partly telling the truth. Their confrontations today with both Orc groups proved otherwise. Maybe this human really thought they were good... maybe he had been hit by something rather hard?

Something was bothering Sarendara. Suddenly remembering, she put in carefully, "Who is your master? Surly he is a great person to have you as his... willing help." She looked at him carefully, trying to figure out if his master was the one who had hit him on the head, knocking all sense out of him. Perhaps it was his master that the orcs feared so much? The 'great one'.

Sarendara added to her statement, "Of course you don't want any rewards. It was silly of us to ask. But I don't understand why they would get hurt? If we can explain to our people that orcs are good... no harm will come of it." She raised her eyebrows slightly. Sarendara doubted that orcs were good and she doubted even more that people would listen to them.
Raevyn D`Altamooriana
Mercenary

Raevyn had been doing her best to remain calm all this time, but now her patience was being whittled away rather quickly? "Listen to the both of you," she snapped. "I for one do not believe any of this, and would be hard pressed to be proven wrong." She turned her glare towards Kelrick now.

"You promised us a bath and that our things would be returned. You can foolo these two if you want, but I will not fall victim to your lies."

Elvin Motricé
Retired staff

Post by Elvin Motricé »

Kelrick had remained silent for a while fouccsing on some distant spot, his eyes narrowed in concentration a few moments after Raevyn spoke he snapped out of whatever it was he was doing and looked at Sarendara: "And who would believe you? Even your dark friend here doesn't seem to believe you," he traced a few decorative lines on his bracers while looking at the tent in front of them: "But forget all those worries for later. Now you can bathe, eat and rest. I'll be looking for your equipment. If you need anything Gralsch shall aid you." At the calling of the name a small rather untidely looking Gnome appeared, his face reddend by the steam and heat inside the tent: "You called me, master?"

"Yes, Gralsch. You'll take care of these three young ladies for me. Follow their orders as they were my own, will you?" Kelrick replied.
The Gnome nodded: "Yes master. I'll see to it!"
Kelrick made a low bow for them: "Now if you will excuse me. I'll go and look for your equipment." With a swhirling of his cloak he walked away, talking to a few of the Orcs here and there. And for the first tie the threesome noticed that all the Orcs were avoiding the big tent, none of them looked at it and none dared to go near them, they saw one make a wide circle as the tents came into view...

"Will the young mistresses follow me, please? Your bath is awaiting you!" the scruffy Gnome said.
Raevyn D`Altamooriana
Mercenary

"What are you stupid or something," Raevyn asked of Windrunner in Elvish while she took a backhand swing at her. Her intention wasn't to hurt her, but hopefully to knock some sence into her. "If you believe him for one moment you are more hopeless than I thought." The dark elf continued to speak in Elvish although she was not sure if the little gnome understood it or not.

"And you Sarendara, you are most certainly not foolish enough to be blinded by his lies. That man plans to kill us soon as he figures he is safe enough to."

Raevyn also alluded to the fact that he didn't answer her question as to who is boss was and she hoped that at least one of them had sense enough to figure that out. "Whoever it is, they sure seem afraid of them. Did you see how none of the orcs went near that tent? I bet the leader is inside. That they would find out later. Now however it was time to plot, and get clean.

For all she knew, theorn and the others could be captured or dead themselves. She hadn't seen any of the others and thought the worst. In Raevyn's mind there was no time to hope for a rescue, they would have to do this on their own. She also regretted the fact that she was captured with these two. Had Kael been captured with her she would've felt a little bit better. AT least he would go down with a fight if necessary. The dark elf didn't get that feeling with these two.

All the while Raevyn's mind was going. She was going to get away from here with or without the other two. But in order to escape she knew that she would need them. Even if they were nothing more than easy targets while she got away. Raevyn looked at Sarendara and remembered her own words, that she wouldn't let anything bad happen to her. That she would protect her. How she regretted those words now. This was a burden that she didn't want, but somehow felt obligated to. A plot was forming.

"So tell me," Raevyn said to the repugnant little gnome. "Who is in that tent over there? Is that where the great one is, and why do they fear him so. Remeber your boss said to do as we ask as if it where him asking. SO you have to answer me truthfully."

Sarendara

Post by Sarendara »

Sarendara frowned at Raevyn when she spoke about disbelieving. She had the strong urge to hit the dark elf, but Sarendara knew that it would only hurt the situation. Besides, the high elf thought about doing a very many things that never gotten done. When Kelrick added that nobody would believe her, Sarendara sighed and nodded. It was true. He had sense, that one. Sarendara, now completely deflated, was tired and just wanted to rest or take a bath. She quietly followed the gnome, wondering how he had gotten to the encampment.

When Sarendara heard what Kelrick ordered of the gnome, her eyebrows raised in slight surprise. What if she just asked to have him escort him out? Sarendara doubted it would be that easy.

When Raevyn started speaking in Elvish, Sarendara frowned and shook her head. What if someone here could understand them. Nevertheless, she felt distrust from the dark elf and knew that she had to correct that before something drastic happened. "I KNOW that he is not a good person. I was trying to get out, just like you. I don't believe him. I really don't. Don't tell that to him or we will never get out." She sighed, wondering how to tell Raevyn to be more subtle.

When Raevyn talked to the gnome, Sarendara let out a faint smile of approval. Perhaps the dark elf would be the best one to coax answers out of the gnome. Sarendara did not talk, thinking that the gnome might become afraid if more then one person was trying to get it to do something. Then again... he was supposed to treat them like he treated the human.
Elvin Motricé
Retired staff

Post by Elvin Motricé »

The Gnome looked at the tent and stuttered: "Th-that? N-n-no that i-i-is the O-o-orc chief's t-t-tent." Regaining his composure somewhat the Gnome straightened: "Now if the young mistresses would follow me. I am sure you want to get out of... well whatever the thing you're wearing is called."

He turned round and walked into the tent, a considerable fog of steam escaping when he pulled back the flap.

Return to “Le Bois Noire Archive”