As Time Goes By - A Time Jump for Rendia

Moderator: Mods

Gia as Rendia

Post by Gia as Rendia »

Rendia gratefully followed, only wishing Gladien would go faster.
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

Time has slipped by whislt they have been in the hall, and several burns have passed, just as they approach the enterence, or exit in their case, the doors are opened, and a whole gaggle of people form the temple bustle in.

At the head of the group is Naomi, who stands by the open door directing the woman in a stready voice, sending some off to tend the wounded, giving special notice to those with green flags, and others off to prepare bandages, salves and clean water.
Gia as Rendia

Post by Gia as Rendia »

Rendia ran up to naomi with a flooding sense of relief, although her apprehension was still high.

"Naomi," she said quietly, running up to tug on her sleeve like a child. She had to speak to her; would Naomi have time to listen? She looked so busy!
Last edited by Gia as Rendia on Wed Sep 24, 2003 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

At the tug on her sleeve Naomi looked around and seeing Rendia smiled brightly, "You have done a good job Rendia, the others are able to indentify the worst cases much more easily now.

"I think you have helped to save some lives today." Although she was still looking at Rendia, her eyes surveyed what was going on around them as well. This distraction was the likely reason she failed to notice Rendia's distress immediatley.
Gia as Rendia

Post by Gia as Rendia »

Rendia barely noticed the praise. "But there is a hole in the boy's aura," Rendia whined piteously. She had Naomi's attention for a little while, she must show her what was wrong. "Naomi, you must come see, it's awful, there's nothing there when you look at that boy, Naomi, Naomi, you must come," she said quietly, frightened and clinging to Naomi's sleeve for reassurance.
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

Naomi's look changed to one of concern at Rendia's comments, "It's alright Rendia, don't panic, I'll come and see for you." A comforting hand on her shoulder, Naomi gave Rendias arm a squeeze for reassurance.

"Take me too this boy, with a hole in his aura," like Gladien she wasn't quite sure what Rendia meant, but she was prepared to trust the younger woman that something was indeed wrong.
Gia as Rendia

Post by Gia as Rendia »

Rendia oulled Naomi to the boy firmly, and although she was still frowning and her heart was beating rapidly, she looked less wild, more in control, and much more at peace. She couldn't shake her fear quite yet, but Naomi was here and she was still as comforting as ever.
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

The older woamn followed Rendia, allowing the younger woman to pull her to the boy in question. As they arrived in the corner, Naomi looked at the boy, he was in truth a child and little more.

His eyes were closed as if in sleep, soft blond hair framing an angelic face. His breath came in soft slow motions, his small chest rising and falling regularly. There appeared little wrong with him physically, no apparent fevour, or bruises.

Naomi settled into her trance, only to exit it almost immediately, a vicious hiss escaping her lips.
Gia as Rendia

Post by Gia as Rendia »

Rendia went pale as death. "What is the hole, Naomi? What is wrong," she whispered, not really wanting to know, all the comfort she had hoped in, gone.
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

Still staring at the boy, Naomi spoke too Rendia, her eyes never leaving the child before her, "I do not know what is wrong child, all I know is that indeed there is something amiss, something terrible has happened."

Even as she spoke, the boys eyes opened, and he looked at Naomi and then at Rendia. His eyes were dark, all pupil, so dark they seemed like black pools looking at the two woman, no warm or life seemed to exist in those eyes when they first opened.

As they looked back unable to draw their eyes away, the childs eyes changed before them, or had they imagined those black holes to begin with, and then his eyes were a more normal dark brown. Still very dark, but now clearly just a dark brown. They were still cold and calculating, but a flash of life was in them now.

"Hello, what happened to me?" The voice was that of a young man, not a child, and the inflection of someone older than the child whom they now confronted.
Gia as Rendia

Post by Gia as Rendia »

Rendia shrank away, clutching Naomi's skirt, unable to run and save herself while her mistress was still standing here, but also unable to look at the creature any longer. It was some kind of dark magic aberation. Naomi had treated it as terrible. Rendia hid her face in Naomi's skirts, trembling almost unnoticeablly, trying to make herself behave like a good servant of Anasis, trying to stand up and face the danger WITH Naomi instead of behind her. As of yet, she could not, only her ears strained to hear. It never occured to her not to fear, it was as natural and well known as breathing. In fact, she had never expected to feel safe on Oracle's Isle, her life seemed to be returning back to normal now.
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

Naomi's hand rested on Rendia's shoulder, offering the younger woman a reassuring squeeze as she watched the child before through narrowed eyes. She weighed him up carefully before offering a reply to his question.

"You are on the Oracles Isle boy. Tell me what is your name, and who are you?" Her voice was harder than she intended, but there was no quaver of fear there, she wanted too know what had scared her protege so much.
Gia as Rendia

Post by Gia as Rendia »

Rendia took a little strength once more, but remained still, unable to make herself look yet. It was NOT safe. She wasn't sure if she knew what this really was. Still, she had to listen.
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

The child looked back at Naomi, his eyes holding hers, before he replied, "My name is Travis, and I am the apprentice to Murtoyd the Wizard. I should be on a boat bound for the Western Kingdom as I have a message to deliver for my Master.

"And what am I doing on Oracles Isle, I doubt my Master would approve of such as a diversion." It seemed the child had little appreciation of what had happened, or why he was here. But that voice was strange, it seemed to belong to one much older than the child looked, at certainly there was a surity there that a child in his early teens should not have.
Gia as Rendia

Post by Gia as Rendia »

Rendia shivered and her eyes seemed to rise of their own free will, tear themselves open and drag her entire face to peak around Naomi so that she could stare at the demon child. Apprentice to a wizzard? An evil wizzard maybe . . . what would possess a child so? Rendia felt like screaming, but held herself back, as usual.

When it appeared he had finished with no explination, Rendia felt secret anger swell up in her. She wanted to know what he had done with the real boys aura, if there was a real boy. How had he made a hole in a person's aura . . . she wanted to scream it at him until she got an answer. Her peeking eyes only narrowed, as if sizing up the enemy.
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

Naomi eyed the child suspiously, before replying, "I doubt your Master would have any say in the matter child, you have been ship wrecked, and there is little I, or you can do about it." The older woman gave Travis a cool and haughty look as if challenging him to argue.

At the mention of him being a child, it was almost possible for Rendia to see the hackles on Travis' neck rise, like a threatened dog, he rose to the words, "I am not a child lady, I am nearly 20 yaern of age, and I am the Senior apprentice of Lord Murtoyd.

"You would do well to give me the curtesy I deserve." Although the voice was that of a young man, the attitude matched the visage of a young child before them.
Gia as Rendia

Post by Gia as Rendia »

Rendia almost asked him why he looked like a child, but her throat caught, her voice failed, and she would've squeaked out nothing anyways. She was sure Naomi would point this out, but Rendia wasn't sure what they would do if the creature continued pretending nothing was wrong. She didn't dare blink, and she was very very glad that she was hiding behind Naomi, this whole experience was deeply unsettling, and she needed someone to cling to to even be here.
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

"Very well Travis, I shall leave you too your rest for now. I would speak with the captain a moment, and then if I may, I would resume our conversation." The question was rhetorical, as Naomi intended to resume their conversation with, or without, the childs acceptance.

Looking behind her to Rendia, Naomi weighed up her options before speaking, "Rendia, I know I am asking a lot of you today, but could you watch this child for me? You don't need to get too close, and you don't have to speak to him if you so chose, but if he makes to move, come fetch me. I must speak to the ships captain, or at least one of the senior men of the ship.

"Can you do this for me?" Naomi was worried Rendia might panic about the responsibility, but she had no one else to trust with such a task at this stage.
Gia as Rendia

Post by Gia as Rendia »

Rendia's head snapped up in shock so fast that she twisted it the wrong way and had to duck her head back down, wincing in pain. For a split second she struggled with panic inwardly, not moving.

Then Rendia let go of Naomi's dress and stepped back.

"Yes, Naomi," she said quietly. She fastened her eyes to the boys feet with intense will power and did not move. She might've looked stoic, but she was truly frozen with fear. 'Hurry back,' her mind prayed.
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

"Well done, Rendia, I'll be back as soon as I can," Napmi nodded, and then scurried off to find the captain of the ship, although it was difficult to think of anything Naomi did as scrurrying.

A voice interrupted Rendia train of thought, whatever it may have been at the time, it was the child/thing she was watching over. "What is your name girl, your master has left you, much as mine did me. You know my name, so it's only fair I know yours." It was most disconcerting that voice coming from that face.
Gia as Rendia

Post by Gia as Rendia »

Rendia refused to answer him. He frightened her, she could not face him. His efforts at conversation were expected, and so she did not flinch, but ignored him completely.

How odd this situation would have seemed to my old master, Rendia surprised herself by thinking.
Last edited by Gia as Rendia on Mon Oct 13, 2003 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

The child complied with Rendia's request and didn't ask her anymore questions, instead he began to hum a tune, before he broke into a soft song under his breath.

Although it was difficult to understand what he was singing, perhaps it was in a different language, it was easy to discern how sad the song was. In fact any who heard it would feel a sense of loss and sadness they had rarely experienced before...
Gia as Rendia

Post by Gia as Rendia »

Rendia felt panic arise once more when the possesed one changd tactics and began what could only be an evil spell. After a split second of terrible indescion, her hands flew to her ears and, when she could still hear the surely magikal tune, she then began to whisper in the name of Anasis to fill her ears with soft, deserate disturbance. Her eyes felt like clenching shut as further shield, but she kept her eyes glued to his feet to her own surprise.

"Anasis will shield me, blessed is her name and the name of her husband, rulers of all that we see and givers of all good gifts, she has taken pity on me and will not forget me. Anasis shield me ..." was the girl's immediate prayer.
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

At the back of Rendia's mind a familiar voice answered her prayer, It is alright my child, this one will not hurt you. In fact I think he is more scared than you.

Fear not his song, as I will protect you, but it is not truely magical, just truely sad.

Seek his pain, Rendia, heal his soul
The last was so faint maybe Rendia had just imagined it, but the voice in her head was reasurringly familiar, and strong.
Gia as Rendia

Post by Gia as Rendia »

Rendia was dumbstruck, her mouth dropped open and her hands fell to her lap when she heard a voice beside her own inside her head. For the slightest second, she thought the boy had conjured her goddess, but the message was given in the unmistakable tone of Anasis herself, a secret voice full of sand, life, compassion, and night. Rendia knew this voice and she could feel it's message. She dare not believe this was a spell, no one could imitate a message from the gods without incurring wrath upon themselves, so if this was false the boy would be struck with death. Rendia's eyes stared but did not see, and she did not care to check just yet, she was listening.

Anasis was telling her it was alright, was telling her to lower her defenses, to fear not. Rendia believed Anasis. Rendia calmed completely and let go of her fear. Anasis would protect her. She believed this.

Therefore she also accepted that the boy was sad and that she had been told to seek ... something. Rendia strained to recapture the echo in her soul. Pain. Rendia was confused by the message she received and felt she was missing something Anasis had just been saying. Seek pain, the pain in his song, his pain, her mind latched onto the sacred order before it too was lost in the mists of the supernatural.

Rendia blinked, took absolute strength from the strength of Anasis, snapped her mouth shut and awkwardly and looked toward this boy she was not supposed to fear. If her fear was gone, her apprehension and uneasiness with herself had not left.

He must consider me insane...

"Ehum..." Rendia made an effort to speak and coughed weakly. "Anasis said not to fear you ad that you hurt," she managed to say. That felt better, it was an apology, explanation, and step on obeying her instruction all at once. Rendia's eyes focused at last and dared to look him in the face for a split second before falling back to his feet again.

Return to “Oracle's Isle archives (old)”