Browsing the Isle: Aden

Moderator: Mods

Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

As he walked the path, the faint tinkling sound did seem to draw closer, but the fog around him drew in closer as if trying to stop his progress. After 15 or 20 paces, Aden could not see his hand if he stretched out his arm in front of him. In fact, he couldn't see past his elbow so thick the fog had become.

Suddenly, just ahead of him came a rustling sound like that of a small animal moving through the brush and undergrowth. It was unclear if it was moving towards him or away or perhaps just across the path.
[color=hotpink][i]The secret of success is sincerity. Once you can fake that you've got it made.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Aden stopped as he listened to the rustling sounds, trying to determine where they were coming from. As quietly as he could manage, he stepped toward the new sound, closing his worthless eyes and depending on his sense of hearing. He felt a great fear within him, but tried to banish it away, lest it draw whatever was making the sounds closer.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Eyes closed, the young man moved towards the sound. Under his feet he felt the hard smooth surface change to something more springy, soft and uneven just before his toes collided with something hard. Throwing him off balance, he toppled forward shins caught on a large root protruding from the ground. Fortunately, the pink grass here was lush and springy, breaking his face first fall to the ground.

A soft giggling sound came from what sounded like just over his shoulder.
[color=hotpink][i]The secret of success is sincerity. Once you can fake that you've got it made.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Aden gasped involuntarily as he fell onto the odd colored grass, laying there momentarily as if expecting the pain to come at any moment. The second he heard the giggling sound, he stiffened, trying frantically to turn over and search for whatever made the sound. It didn't sound frightening, but what could one expect from a place where the grass was pink?
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Seeing nothing but the blue fog and the massive tree root he stumbled over, the young man had a sudden pain in his head as if someone had pulled his hair. The tug came again, not so hard this time and a tiny voice hollered at him.

"Why do you lay here? Move, come, hurry! Do you wait for the uadh-bheist to come? Silly one, must come quickly... this way," the tiny voice huffed as it attempted to pull Aden up by his hair.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Aden gasped at the tiny sound of the voice, but decided it would be best to obey its request to get up. Shaking his head to make the little voice let go, he pulled himself up as quickly as he could and then asked, "Hello? Who are you?" He looked around, still uncertain where the voice was coming from.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Shaking his head produced one last tug followed by a high pitched scream the faded off into the fog, which was still close about him. Behind him, he heard a deep noise that sounded somewhat like a creaky chuckle.

"Not too bright," a deep tenorous voice said. "Not too bright at all!"

Then there was silence again, save for the soft sounds of the wind chimes in the distance, tinkling in the windless air.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Aden paused momentarily at the scream, fading into the distance. From his experiences, screams fading into the distance were indicative of only one thing: danger. At the sound of the voice, he whipped around suddenly, losing his bearings in the process. All that Aden could manage was a gasp before he ran in what he he hoped was the direction leading away from the mysterious deep voice.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Running through dense fog is not only difficult, it is dangerous as you can't see what you are about to race into. The deep chuckling followed him, seemed to surround him just before he ran into the low hanging branches of a tree and was stopped immediately, knocking him backward. Laying on the pink grass looking up, the breath knocked out of him, Aden began to see stars. Or what looked like stars; three small stars. And the stars were... giggling.

"Yes indeed, not very smart at all," growled the deep voice as branches slowly dropped down hovering over Aden growing closer to him by the moment.

"Up! Get up!" the tiny voices urged him. "Come this way," they chirped and began to move back from the direction he'd come.

"Hasty one is mine," the deep voice growled as the branches moved closer.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Aden had made a very simple connection, and it was the only thing in his mind. The small voices are good, the deep voice is bad... ran through his mind over and over, as he tried to get up, feeling like he was on a wild goose chase. Taking more care this time, he stretched his hands before him as he followed the instructions of the tiny voices.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

As he moved to get up, he felt the branches start to press against his legs, the ends starting to wrap around him much like fingers. Through the dense fog, he could only see a dark mass, not the details but the three lights that were darting around just above his legs were more visible, slowing the limbs long enough for the young man to escape.

Ahead of him, the three lights glowed leading him... somewhere. After only a few stumbles over rocks or hidden holes in the ground, the fog began to thin and the wind chimes sounded louder. Much easier to see where he was going, they made better time until suddenly they were out of the fog. Behind him, the fog was still there, like a blueish-gray wall that the pink grass faded into.

Ahead of him was a house, of sorts. Oddly shaped, the bottom level was the size of the normal home of a commoner. However, perched atop that was a large bulbous looking shape. Somewhat like a flattened sphere, it was twice as big around as the rectangular shape it set on, protruding out much like eaves would; very large eaves.

Atop the flattened ball was what looked like a round tower roughly the same width as the base. The whole structure was a soft blue, with a green door set in the base and many soft yellow windows everywhere. Soft orange sunlight filled the area and on either side of the dust path up to the door, there was an abudance of what appeared to be flowers with small delicate green blossoms.

Next to the structure, a tall willowy looking tree stood. Dark gray bark was accented with shades of pink foliage. Everything seemed a bit bright and garish and hanging from the tree, wind chimes danced and sang though there was no wind here.

A road ran before the house stretching off to the left and right as far the the young man could see. Hovering several paces in front of him, the small lights were less visible here, but easier to hear.

"Stay in Sorcha. Not much hurts here. Sugan keeps creatures of Dorch away. Such creature prefer dark," one of the tiny voices chimed as it pointed to the fog.

As their glow had dissappated, their appearance became clearer. A soft violet in color, they had wings larger than their bodies that fluttered quickly creating a soft pink blur behind them which complimented the soft pink hair on their head. Four slender arms accompanied two small short legs.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Aden's eyes moved swiftly over the terrain, drinking in the sights as if they were a fine drink. Everything around him seemed as though it were a waking dream, mysterious and yet oddly comforting, especially after what had just occurred in the fog. What was that voice? Why did it try and trap me like that? he wondered, his brow furrowed in thought. All of his possessions had been left back at the Temple of Pan, so surely robbery was not the intent...

His reverie was interrupted by voices, and he turned to see what had appeared to be stars within the fog. Now, with their more distinct forms, they seemed like something out of a children's tale. They seemed beautiful, and he knew there was a word for them. He couldn't, however, remember it. He listened carefully as the creatures spoke, trying to make sense of their words. After all, he was but a simple lad.

"What was that thing back there? Was that the Dorch that prefers shadows? This is Sorcha? Who is Sugan? Do you know where the Temple of Pan is? Are you friends of Jessamyn? What manner of creatures are you?" he demanded, his voice crossing the emotional spectrum from anger to fear and back.

After what had happened, he wasn't going to rush into something blindly. His normal mistrust and shields had gone up once more, after being so carefully lowered by Jessamyn's words and deeds, leaving him feeling somehow betrayed. Somewhere within him, he knew it was his own fault that he had come here, and that was the fact that he despised most of all.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Giggling, one of the tiny creatures landed on Aden's shoulder. "No, no," said another, still flittering in front of the young man.

"Dorch is that," it said pointing at the blueish fog. "There!" It looked at Aden, head tilted to one side as if puzzled that the human didn't understand.

"The uadh-bheist is the darkness that dwells in the dorch and the creatures of the dorch. Sorcha is this," it flew around in several large circles. "Here!" and it stopped moving to hover in front of Aden once more and looked at the one parked on the young man's shoulder. The two exchanged… something, sounding more like a humming buzz before the one on his shoulder spoke up.

"Sugan is what makes sorcha not dorch. All around you it is and lovely it feels," the creature giggled and launching off his shoulder, flew in front of Aden and hovered.

"Pan and Jessamyn we do not know and we are liagg," offered the 2nd hovering being. "I am named Siochar. Over there is Miosach," he pointed to the third flittering creature staying off in the distance.

"I am Aillse. I am a she in your wordings," she giggled. "What name have you taken? Have you come to rescue the Deidre?"
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Though still a little confused by the explanations of the liagg, Aden supposed they had explained enough to allow him to understand what was going on. Apparently, the blue fog and this place were opposing forces, and it appeared that he was now on the better side of things. The creatures seemed friendly, but he was cautious not to be lulled into complacency.

"Thank you for your kind answeres, liagg," he said with a small smile. "Ailse? It is a pretty name. Much prettier than Aden, I'm certain." He offered the creature a wink, and another small smile, still awed by all that had happened. Most of his questions were answered, but a few more had been raised. "Deidre? Who is she? Save her from what?"

He felt a great sinking inside, as though something dark was at work here, something that wanted more than to just make blue mist and ensnare travellers. With a look of patience tinged with fear, he awaited the answer of the liagg.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

"The Deidre is giant... like you," Siochar explained. "Wandered into dorch and has not returned. Though we warned The Deidre, listening ears she had not," he remarked dryly.

"If smart the Aden be, rescuing any from dorch will not be done. Dangerous to even think about," he continued. "Visit the Mairigooldon, the Aden should. Many things the Mairi can answer. Better can she speak to your ears, better than we."

Giggling, Aillse added, "Better than you most can speak Siochar! but the Mairi will be helpful. Take you to her we can," the small female sprite chimed and headed towards the odd looking structure, pausing to make sure Aden followed her. Flying past the house, she moved to a field of what appeared to be wild flowers growing in fields on both sides of the house.

"Picking a flower of strength is first," she explained and waited for him to do so as she examined the menagerie of blossoms, reds, yellows, blues, oranges, violets and pinks. Some of the blossom were tiny and fragile in appearance while others were large and sturdy looking with everything in between encompassing a wide variety of blooms from wild roses to sunflowers and daisies.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

"I promise I won't go after this Deidre, at least until I talk to the Mairi," he smiled, but felt bad for anything trapped out in the blue fog, and secretly made a note to find out more about this Deidre, and more about Dorch. He offered the small creatures a promising smile, following them slowly, his mind racing with ideas of who this Deidre was, as well as what Mairi was.

"A flower of strength?" he seemed puzzled. Aden looked at the flowers carefully, trying to decide which one would be best to pick. Shrugging, he decided that it wouldn't make much of a difference, selecting the biggest, brightest flower he could find, hoping that those traits were indicative of strength. Turning to the liagg, he held the flower up, as if for approval.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

His choice of flower initiated an almost violent exchange between two of the diminuative creatures, none of which he could understand. When they stopped, Aillse hovered in front of him with what appeared to be a smile.

"Good choice. Now we go. Come," she chirped and headed back to the front of the structure and what had to be a door. Oval shaped, it wasn't like any door Aden had seen and had no door knob or other means he could see of opening it. Next to the oval, a windchime hung down. The tiny creature flew through the chimes causing them to ring and then hovered by the door quietly.

Several moments passed before the opening.. opened. Sliding sideways as if hinged at the top, it slid inside the house or perhaps between the walls. As the oval slid away, a female voice greeted the young elf.

"Eussue," the pleasant voice said as the face of a woman came into view. Clearly elven herself, with the characteristic fine pointed ears and slender willowy build, her eyes were lavender in color, almost the color of amethyst. Very pale skin was set off by light blonde almost silvery hair. Her soft yellow dress seemed to float, a sumptuous drape of silky waves. A smile broke her face when she saw her guest.

"Greetings," she nodded her head. "I see the liagg have brought you. I am Kelsie. Please, enter," she welcomed him in with a wave of her arm as she stepped aside.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Aden was slightly confused by the response to his flower, but when it was met with approval, he smiled and followed the liagg over to the strange structure. He felt a gnawing doubt in his stomach as he drew closer, as though some part of him expected a fiercesome creature to emerge.

He was pleasantly surprised at the sight of the elven woman. He smiled as charmingly as he could manage, and willingly followed her, hoping that the answers to his questions would come soon.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Only Aillse followed him into the structure, the oval door swinging down closed with a snap as if it were dropped. Inside the structure was a soft turquoise color with light blue and yellow shapes, round and oval pedestals that looked like they might be soft (think giant marshmellows) around what appeared to be a table that looked a like a cross between a banana and a peanut shell.

Just a bit shorter than Aden, the elfess stood looking at him, eyes dancing from the flower in his hand to his face and back. Beside him, Aillse's tiny voice tinkled very softly, "Give! Give!"
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

The room was certainly alien in appearance to Aden, but he tried not to offend Kelsie by giving any facial clue as to his discomfort. These new and unusual things, while interesting, made the young man feel uncertain, somehow out of place. He still had no idea where he was, after all.

Aden was not entirely sure what the liagg meant, but he figured it out after a couple moments thought. Shrugging, he handed the flower he had chosen to the elfess, hoping she would find it satisfactory.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

"Many thanks, young one," the elfess took the blossom and smiled, filling Aden with a feeling of warmth and belonging. "You are most welcome amongst us, but we wonder what brought you our way? Other than Aillse," she chuckled as she looked at the tiny creature.

"Were you sent or were you found? Such slight differences determine the course you are destined to find. But where are my manners?" she giggled.

"So long it has been since any but the sprites have graced my door. Please, rest your limbs. Refreshment you may have if you grow hungry," she floated over to a table with a container with flowers and placed the one the young elf had given her.

"Aden is your given name? What meaning is it?" she asked as she floated over to a long marshmellow shape and sat down. It seemed to give a bit and conform itself to her shape.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

"I came here from Pan's Isle. I was in Jessamyn's room, I think... Sent? Found?" Aden looked at the elfess bewilderedly. "I just came here... through an orb." His brow furrowed in thought. "I'm not sure how I got here, but I remember falling." He looked up. "I'm sorry if none of this is making sense. I myself am confused by it." Seeing her sit down, Aden followed suit.

"My name doesn't really have a meaning, I suppose. At least none that I am aware of." He would have blurted out questions just then, and nearly did, but refrained from doing so out of politeness. His suspicious nature was somehow kept out of the way by the genuine niceness of this woman and that of the liagg, although he hardly considered it strange. Despite the strangeness of the environs, there was something soothing about this place, this Sugan.

"How about you? How did you come to be here?" he decided that his personal questions could wait. This elfess was intriguing to him, somehow, and he desired to learn more about her. Perhaps in doing so, he would learn more about the nature of this strange land.
Last edited by Guest on Tue Oct 14, 2003 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

As the young elf sat, the chair seemed to mold itself to him and the sensation was almost like floating in water. He knew he was seated and he felt very secure but there was no pressure on his body from the weight of his body though he could feel the seat under him. All in all it was a very odd sensation.

"No meaning for your name? Odd that seems," she shook her head slightly before beaming a smile at him. "Perhaps found it yet you have not. No matter. But that you know not if you were sent or found is a serious matter. Sent ones follow a different path than found ones. Each one comes to this place in a different way. Falling is often felt. Through an orb.... what did you do that the orb put you here? What did the orb do before bringing you here?" she queried a slight frown on her pretty face, paying very close attention to the young man as he replied and she tried to piece together the peices.

OOC: as soon as we puzzle this part out, she will go back to pick up your questions about her. and if I forget, please don't hesitate to nudge me ;)
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Aden's brow furrowed as he himself tried to remember what had happened. He remembered sitting in the room with Jess, getting his cards read, and he remembered the elfess leaving the room to prepare lunch. After that, he recalled the shiny sphere in the bureau, and reaching for it. He had been very careful not to touch it, despite the temptation. He closed his eyes at the memory. He had been holding it close, trying to see within its depths. Then there was a sensation of falling, and suddenly, he was in the mist covered world.

The young man was silent for a very long time, as he went over the memory, seeking the best words to explain what had happened, trying to make the story clear for the elfess.

"I was sitting in a room at the Temple of Pan, waiting for Jessamyn, an elfess, to get us lunch. While I was waiting, and looking around the room, I saw a shiny ball in a partially opened case in one of the drawers. It was beautiful, and I removed the case to get a closer look. There seemed to be something inside of it, between all of the..." he searched for the words to describe it, "... shiny stuff." He seemed dissatisfied, but he continued. "I looked as close as possible, almost touching the surface of the ball. Suddenly, I suppose my hand brushed the orb, and I was falling. I fell for a while, and when I stopped, I was here, in the mists that the liagg call 'Dorch'."

He opened his eyes, looking questioningly at Kelsie, hoping that the story would hold some meaning to her that he could not detect. "To answer your question properly, the only thing that the ball did before sending me here was show me pictures and shine. Oh, did it ever shine..." he sighed, a smile on his lips, amused by the sheer strangeness of his current situation.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Violet eyes twinkled with merriment as she listened, then nodded. "Sounds as if a found one you are," she replied after on a few flickers pause.

"Now to learn why you were found is next journey," she smiled and shook her head at his questions about her. "Many curiosities, but here I have long been. Brought by the last Mairigoolden - Keeper of Light, I was a found one, much as yourself though found for a different purpose than yours will be. Much was I taught before he fell from this place. Many have journied here since my arrival. Some found faith in Sorcha. Others lost to Dorch were and did not return to Sorcha. Sad times those are," sadly she shook her head.

"Paths of testing, difficult to traverse but those worthy will find their way. But, now to talk of your path and journey we must. What dreams follow your heart, young one?" she beamed a warm smile at Aden; he could almost feel actual warmth coming from her.

"Why did pictures in orb tantalize you so? What about the colors drew you here?"
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Return to “On the Road Archive”