Hunting Plains: Sigwulf (Samheen 12th)

Moderators: Vanadius, Mods

Tygress
Retired Game Designer

Hunting Plains: Sigwulf (Samheen 12th)

Post by Tygress »

This long stretch of plains represents the prime hunting grounds of the Trothgard people. What was once a great forest is now a stretching meadowland sparsely dotted with stands of trees, all that is left of the once great wood.

Bear, deer, elk, fox, rabbit and various other forms of wildlife populate the area. This is one of the few places that the snow actually melts off of in the summer in Trothgard, making it a prime spot for hunting and planting.

The Trothgard people make the most of it during the short months they have available and can usually harvest enough game, herbs and other produce to get through the overlong winter with plenty to spare.
Last edited by Tygress on Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
[url=http://tygress.livejournal.com/]Tygress[/url]||[color=green][i]Tygress Who?![/i][/color]
Sigwulf soHei-bjort

Post by Sigwulf soHei-bjort »

Timestamp: Samheen 12th

In more southern climes, signs of summer would still be about, and the deciduous trees would still have lush, green leaves. It is not so in Trothgard, and the ground is already icy. That does not stop the natives of the land from continuing their lives, however, the same thing applying to Sigwulf.

He was up early in the morning, the sun barely cresting the horizon, and after quickly breaking his fast, he bid his father farewell for the day, gathered his thick clothing, bow, and axe, then set out from the small hut, and was soon on the borders of Rimehold. Taking one last look at the only true human settlement in this barren country, he let out a long sigh, that instantly transformed into a thick fog as it made contact to the cold air. Time to begin another long day of hunt, which hopefully yields a catch.

Small game had been rather plentiful, but the kill of such a simple animal was not satisfactionate enough. He needed a more elusive pray, one that takes skill and effort to fell, and more so than just a good shot. He was looking for deer or elk, but even a bear would do, assuming he could find a way to carry such a hulking beast back to Rimehold, not wishing to leave it outside where Trolls or other creatures might benefit from his hard work.

Those were just his hopes, and either way, he would settle for hares or other small animals if that's all the wilds wished to give him. So off he went towards the hunting plains, starting off at a steady jog, with his bow ready in his left hand should he be able to make use of it.
Maeve
The Dragon & Game Designer

Post by Maeve »

It was Samheen, the last month of summer. This year however autumn had come quickly. The icequeen had been covering the plains with a light dusting of snow since yesterday, and it had not melted away in the morningtide sun. It was nothing compared to the Trothgard winters however.

This early autumn did signal a harsh winter to come. It would mean that many animals would starve or freeze to death. It could affect the hunting prospects for years to come. No doubt the priestesses were already frantically consulting their goddess to see why they had displeased her.

All of this was but a background concern for the young hunter. Sigwulf found several tracks of smaller animals. Hares a plenty in the fields. However larger prey remained elusive, forcing him to radiate farther from the settlement. Then his eye caught a few broken sticks, and a clear paw in a muddy area.

OOC: I'm picking up this thread. Please PM me when you are ready to continue :)
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]
Sigwulf soHei-bjort

Sigwulf bent low to the ground, and examined the print, careful not to damage it. He tried to determine the animal based on past experience, and what his father had taught him, but he guessed it to be a bear on first glance. After carefully examining the scene, he brushed away the broken twigs, deeming them unimportant in the tracking he was about to attempt. There he knelt for a few minutes, breathing heavily after the jog, feeling his forehead pulse as his heart raced to pump the life-giving blood through his body.

"Where are you hiding?" he mumbled to himself, brushing his hair back out of his eyes, and looking far off onto the horizon. Indeed there didn't seem to be many places to hide, but he knew that to be an illusion. One had to watch themselves in the field, especially if they got caught out here after dark. The trolls were merciless and brutal, and this Sigwulf knew well, having seen the crippled remains of some victims.

After he caught his breath, he again examined the paw print, judged the weight of the creature as best he could, and the direction it was heading. The hunt was finally about to begin.
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

From the size of the paw this was a fullgrown bear. It was unusual to have them so close to the village, but then bears were known wanderers and afraid of little.

At first Sigwulf did not see anything beyond this first impression in the mud. As he concentrated however he noted a few subtle tracks further afield, towards the rim of the hill. He knew that beyond that hill was an ice cold river, that at this time of year was full with salmon.
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]
Sigwulf soHei-bjort

At first there were no other signs, but this was a big bear, and a big catch. Something that would likely make his father proud, and benefit to the community at the same time. He had to find his prey. After a more intensive search, however, he found a few more tracks, these ones not as solid as the previous two, but there none the less, and quite likely belonging to the same animal. Then he was hot on the trail, which lead over a small hill, on which the other side was a river he was fairly familiar with. A salmon river at that, the perfect spot for a hungry bear to sipe and eat at his own leisure. This could very well be it.

Sigwulf readied an arrow, and slowly crested the hill, arrow notched, and his fingers on the bow string. Creeping as silently as he can, he would make his way to the top of the hill where he'd have a better view, and thus a better idea of how the kill would play out.
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

Sigwulf carefully looked over the rim of the hill.

Sure enough a large brown bear, with a touch of grey on his nuzzle, stood in the middle of the icy river, fishing for salmon with his mighty claw. Stubbornly the fish kept climbing up river, yet still evading the bear. Finally the animal struck true and the fat salmon was swept out of the water, splashing around helplessly on the stoney beach to the side of the river. Several more specimen were fished out of the water before the bear growled with satisfaction and attacked his lunch head on, gulping down the fish.

Then he raised himself on his two hind legs, standing almost like a man, sniffing the air. Suddenly he let out an enourmous roar.
Sigwulf soHei-bjort

Sigwulf should have noticed that his scent would reveal him to the bear, especially since he had been jogging most of the way, breaking a light sweat. Now the animal knew he was near, and he would have to make his strike fast.

From his hip mounted quiver, he pulled about three or so arrows, and quickly stabbed them into the ground, for ease of use. He knew that one arrow may not likely fell the animal, and that his shot was not always true, and he would rather not be caught across the face by those massive claws with his hand in the quiver. Again, he worked as fast as he could without risking to much error, then readied the bow. He centered on the target, then took a light gage of the air, adjusting accordingly, then of distance, adjusting accordingly.

Sigwulf held his breath, steadied his arm, then released the missile, sending it towards his target. Not even hesitating to see if the first shot hit, he began to ready another arrow. This would be quite the catch.
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

The arrow took the bear in his shoulders and he grunted angrily. Seeing the human on the rim he went back to all fours and started to move towards Sigwulf in quite a rapid pace. The arrow, still sticking out like a sore thumb, did not seem to hinder him in his movements.
Sigwulf soHei-bjort

Although not entirely true to his target, the first arrow did strike the bear, but it was but a scratch to the large creature. And now the beast was angry, and charging for him. Readying his arrow, Sigwulf took aim a second time, but he couldn't single out a target area on the bear lurching towards him, so he aimed at the largest bulk, hoping it to do sufficient damage, adjusted according to wind, then distance, which was already much shorter than at first.

After he got his second arrow out, he'd try and judge the time before the bear got to him, either way picking up another arrow from the ground. Depending on the distance, he'd either ready it to take another shot, or take off running away from it into any terrain that contained obstacles, be it boulders or trees, that he could use to outsmart the animal, always glancing over his shoulder for the next opportunity to shoot.
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

The second arrow was more lucky, hitting the bear in the throat. He roared with pain, and for a moment stood still to shake his head. Sigwulf dared a third arrow but it missed the mark. The bear was now becoming crazed with pain and charged onto the young man with blood run eyes. A swift departure became necessary and as Sigwulf dashed away he noticed a little collection of three pine trees right ahead.
Sigwulf soHei-bjort

A second hit! This was by far a lucky day, but it would seem his supply was about to run out. The third shot went wide, and the beast was furious, and all it had it's primitive mind set upon was Sigwulf. This would be the perfect time to flee, and fled he did, to a small copse of trees, three to be precise, which might do him finely. Their boughs would no doubt slow the bear down should he attempt to dart and wind between them.

For that was his plan, ever eluding the bear, arrow ready. Between two trees, around another, doubling back; whatever it took to confuse the animal, and give him the right opportunity to fire his next arrow. The handle of his axe tapped bobbed heavily against his leg as he ran, a constant reminder of his last defense, should his bow fail him. He only hoped it didn't come to that.

OOC:
Well, now that the holiday season is over, and I remembered about Tazlure, I can furter burden you with this thread! I hope you had a happy holiday season, and hope that Tazlure recovers from the slight slump that it's in.
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

Sigwulf darted towards the pine trees with the bear in hot pursuit. When he turned around another tree, while seeking an oppertunity to withdraw another arrow from his quiver, his leg caught on one of the treeroots, and he crashed roughly into the tapistries of needles on the ground. The bear spared no breath and slashed Sigwulf over his thigh before he even had time to react.

OOC: Thank you for the kind wishes :)
Sigwulf soHei-bjort

His luck waned as his foot got caught in a root he had not noticed, or was at least to careless to pay proper heed, and he was soon sprawled out on one of the trees, bending it's weaker needle covered branches towards the ground. As a result, he was in an awkward position near the ground, but not close enough to get a firm handhold and before he could even react, the bear was on top of him, with a mighty paw drawn back. Then he swiped, with his massive claws raking a nasty wound in his leg.

Sigwulf let out a bellowing cry of pain, which twisted into an inhuman growl of ultimate rage. The agonizing pain coursed through his leg, and he could feel his warm blood against his cool skin, but at the same time his was furious at the turn of events. The bow was likely useless, so that he cast aside, then pulled his own battle axe from it's leather thong at his side, being his last form of defense. Injured, cornered, fearful, and enraged, the Northman took the mightiest swing he likely ever took, aiming to strike at any part of the beast that was within reach. His options were fast running short.

OOC: I'm assuming you're lovely new assistant here in Trothgard will take the thread?
Anarie Laezuriel

Post by Anarie Laezuriel »

The Hei-Bjort clan was known for their hunting prowess and it seemed that Sigwulf had inherited some of this prowess, likewise he would not be breathing right now. Luck must have had some hand in his fate today however. The axe swung nearly blindly struck the brown bear in the chest just below his neck.

The large creature stumbled back a moment shaking its head almost as if he was confused. The axe had sunk deeply into the bear's flesh and there it stayed as the bear slumped onto the ground breathing heavily. The axe's wooden handle bobbed in rythm with the bear's heavy breathing. Still alive the bear's brown eyes looked at Sigwulf with what could almost be described as grudging respect as well as pain.

The young man now had time to stand, albeit tenderly. That leg would pain him for some time and he would no doubt need healing as soon as he was able to get back to Rimehold.
Sigwulf soHei-bjort

Sigwulf won the day, but not without his own injuries, and he struggled to stand. He had his doubts that he would be able to move the animal, especially after the the injured leg, but he would try.

"Good fight, my friend," he said, as he gathered his bow to deal the killing blow, an arrow through the heart. Once dispatched, he'd make any attempt at moving the animal, but several hundred pounds was a mighty amount to be moving with and injured leg such as his own. Instead, he pulled out his horn, and gave it four solid blasts, hoping the sound could carry back home, and signal them that aid was needed. He doubted they'd be upset when they saw his catch, for it in the end went to the community.

His next priority was his wound, and he didn't have anything to dress it, and only had water to clean it, which he decided against, incase it froze on him, only worsening the situation. So he just waited, blowing on his horn every five to ten burns, to give anyone who was coming a better idea where he was. Limping to the top of the hill, after gathering his axe, he stood there, waiting to wave down anyone who happened to come. Again, he blew the horn.
Anarie Laezuriel

OOC: I have sent you a PM regarding your above post please read it before continuing with this thread. 8)

IC:

After about two more burns shouts were heard coming up a small knoll. Over the edge of the rounded knoll came two blonde heads. It was Gisella and Otto a brother and sister in the Bergliin family and child-hood friends of Sigwulf. Otto was a giant of a man with a large blonde beard that reached almost to mid chest. When he stood in front of the young Hei-bjort his shadow covered the smaller man completely. Gisella stood behind her brother, much smaller in stature but her presence was nonetheless demanding. She pretended mock anger as she scolded her friend.

"Sigwulf you coot! What have you gotten yourself into this time?" her pretty blue eyes glittered with mischief which soon faded as she saw his wound. "You are hurt?" concerned she bent down to examine his wound. Otto looked at the surroundings and saw the bear. "My goodness! You sure know how to pick your opponents . . . is it dead?" This last bit was said with a bit of concern. Even though Otto was no string bean coward his abilities as a warrior were not so great. He was just a simple blacksmith and although he could defend himself he didn't feel like putting his warriors 'prowess' in a test today. Especially with a full grown brown bear.

Gisella ripped a piece of her cloak and wrapped it around Sigwulf's leg tightly. "It is all I can do I am afraid. We should get you to a healer soon though. Can you walk on your leg ?"
Last edited by Anarie Laezuriel on Fri Jan 09, 2004 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sigwulf soHei-bjort

Sigwulf was quite relieved to see two of his kinsmen approaching, and rather happy to see who they really were. Gisella, Otto and Sigwulf go back quite a few years, and it seems their friendship was still strong. Gisella was the first to speak, and the hunter could see the concern in her face.

"Nay, just a scratch," he said, doing as best he could to mask the searing pain that throbbed from his wound. He wasn't to sure of its severity, but he'd no doubt be off his legs for a while, and require the services of a healer.

"I think it's dead, and hope," he replied to Otto, but then a smile broke on his face. "It's good to see you two, so ready to come to my aid at the call of a horn. Were you near when I called?"

Sigwulf didn't immediately answer Gisella's last question, but rather demonstrated. Only it was less a walk, and more a struggle to stand, as support switched from his good leg, to his bad, which could but stand less than a second before he had to lay his other foot back down. He might as well hop on one foot, but he was stubborn and try to walk.

"It's a good catch though," he said, "and well worth the effort. The clans will sup good tonight, I am sure. Come, perhaps we can carry it. I dare not leave it untended, for I'm sure some other creature will make use of my efforts, and I'd rather not have them spent in vain. Will you help?"
Anarie Laezuriel

"Just a scratch? Bah! It looks deeper than that . . . how close was he too you when he nailed you?" Gisella asked her friend. Otto looked over at his sister and groaned. "You going to chitter chatter until sundown or give me a hand over here?" He mocked irritation as he knew already that she would. Nonetheless she gave him a "Hmph!" for good measure and walked over.

"It is a very big bear! Good on you Sigwulf! The young woman said with a grin. She was not sure how to carry it but they would figure out something. Otto scratched his head in concentration. Suddenly he jumped up and down excitedly . . . which was surely something to see considering his bulk. "Our cart and our horses Giz! I'll be back sooner than you can blink. He jabbered running off in the direction of the cart. Gisella (apparently 'Giz' for short) shook her head. "Bless me for an idiot. I went and forgot how we even got out here." The young woman said more to herself than to Sigwulf. The blond haired blue eyed girl looked at Sigwulf realising he might think they were both lunatics if she did not explain herself fully. " We have two new horses from Kislovan . . . they came in at the Landing Docks yesterday. We were out testing them and we brought one of our carts along in case I got lucky with my bow. Hmm I probably should have brought it with me in case . . ." She stopped. She was going to say in case Trolls came along but she suddenly remembered what had happened to Sigwulf's brother and said nothing.

Gisella cleared her throat and looked down at her hands before leaning up against a tree next to Sigwulf. "We will wait here and watch your catch until he brings our cart along. Then we get you fixed up." The petite woman (somewhat of an oddity in native women of Trothgard) said with a smile.
Last edited by Anarie Laezuriel on Wed Jan 14, 2004 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sigwulf soHei-bjort

"He was probably an arms length away," Sigwulf said, then shrugged. It was deeper than he made it out to be, no doubt, and it hurt bad. But he was a proud member of the Hei-bjort clan, and wouldn't show that sign of weakness. He did well today, and that's all that mattered to him.

Soon Otto was off gathering the horses and cart, of which Sigwulf knew nothing about at the time. Come to think of it, he couldn't recall them owning horses previously. Indeed, beasts of burden were scarce so far up north, but they are not unheard of.

"Kislovan, isn't that an elf island?" Sigwulf asked, not entirely learned on the world outside of Trothgard, yet he might have heard mention of that island before. He turned and looked at her, waiting the answer.
Anarie Laezuriel

Gisella smiled kindly at her friend. "Yes, well, sort of an elf island. Humans live there too but there are certain regions that are strictly Elven. We ordered them special from a place on Kislovan called Illmyt. They were pricey but it is said they can carry heavy loads well. Otto and I were anxious to try them out. " She shrugged as if that was not something un-common.
Sigwulf soHei-bjort

"Interesting," Sigwulf said, sitting again, despite the cold, mostly snow covered ground, and propped up against one of the trees, leaning back into the boughs of the evergreen.

"Well, for the community's sake, let's hope those horses can carry quite a load. How much do you think that bear weighs? Must be close to three hundred pounds, don't you think?"

OOC:
Note - the guess on the weight of the animal was just that, a guess... Not a bunny! :D
Anarie Laezuriel

OOC: Hun you can always make guesses as long as information is there for you to guess ABOUT, got my drift? LOL I am not going to harass overly much in any case so rest easy.

IC: "Yes, well if they can't carry it then I am red haired southerner!" Gisella spoke with a giggle, pointing at her golden hair. She spotted her brother, Otto, headed back up the hill with the cart, directing the two beautful stallions, one coal black with a brown mane and the other chesnut colored with a light brown mane, in the direction of Gisella and Sigwulf. "Hail Brother! The petite blue eyed girl yelled jovially. Otto's big smile could be seen even at this distance, though that distance was getting shorter. Soon the cart was "parked" next to the tree Sigwulf and Gisella had propped against.

Otto left the cart there, tying the ends of both horses' leaders around an even larger length of rope he had in the cart and tied around the rope around the tree. The large northman headed for the dead bear, motioning for his sister and Sigwulf to follow. "Let's gets this done . . . I am hungry!" Otto declared, rubbing his belly for effect. His sister poked him in the tummy as she teased him, saying "You are always hungry, that is why you are so fat!" To this the giant roared in mock anger. "You dare call me fat!? Hmph see if I leave any desert for you then." The two had a good laugh together over that.

If Sigwulf had looked back in his memory he could note that the siblings, only one year apart in age, had always been a jovial joking pair. Maybe that is why he got along with them now?

OOC: If you would like to say that Gisella and Otto help you drag the bear to and onto the cart that would be find but don't control them beyond that. 8)
Last edited by Anarie Laezuriel on Fri Jan 23, 2004 5:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sigwulf soHei-bjort

Sigwulf noticed the approaching steeds, and they did indeed seem like strong animals. They were quite a site as well, and livened up the bleak landscape that is Trothgard. Getting up, the hunter got ready to do his best in helping them with his injured leg.

"Well, if you're hungry friend, there'll be a wait. We've still got to get back to Rimehold first. Alright, let's see if we can lift this thing."
Anarie Laezuriel

After several tries they had dragged the bear onto the low cart and were soon headed back to Rimehold. Gisella stretched out in seat her head and back laying across her brother's wide lap and her legs laying across Sigwulf's lap. A couple times she almost dozed off, but like her brother she was hungry and her hunger was waking her up.

Finally the tents of Rimehold came into view. The smoke rising from their roofs like gray tendrils. The sun was past it's high mark and was starting to go down, headed for the horizon. The work outside was mirroring this as it slowed down so everyone could have supper. The Bergliins that Sigwulf was riding with stopped their cart near Sigwulf's home tent. Many of the locals gaped at the large bear in the back of the cart.

One of Sigwulf's younger male cousins ,Fefwulf, came up to him, noting his injury. "Sigwulf is this your catch?

Return to “Trothgard Archive”