University of Magic - Entrance Thread

Moderator: Mods

terra ravlyn

Post by terra ravlyn »

Terra looked quickly from the new girl, to the one who had asked her all the questions, to the man at reception. Making her mind up quickly she decided to talk to the man first. "I would like to join this university please? If you could tell me where to go that would be great" terra looked around noticing there were far more people here than she had first seen, an wondering if this many people join a day where did the pupils all go?
Ashirim

Post by Ashirim »

Ashirim walked slowy into the huge building. He had seen it before of course, but he had never been inside. The inn he had spent the early years of his life in had been a dumpsite compared to this place. He suddenly became very excited and eager. It had been purely on impulse that he had come in here whilst on a job search but his mind was set. He could have easily have been a bard; in fact, he had been a part-time bard whilst staying at the inn, but Ashirim wanted a challenge. He walked over to the desk where there were a number of other people and waited in silence.
Elvin Motricé
Retired staff

Post by Elvin Motricé »

OOC: the right person to ask about the abbreviations, I'm making a FAQ about them. TAQ: Tel'Aranae Quessir. TI: Terra Incognita. UoM: University of Magicks

IC:
<center><b>Samheen 6th, fifth mark tradetide</b></center>

The clerk smiled at all of those present: "So all of you have come to join the Univeristy, yes?" Without really waiting for an answer he continued: "God, gather around then. That saves me time when I'm explaining how we work. First of all: are there any questions about the University or something else?" the man inquired.
Last edited by Elvin Motricé on Tue Apr 29, 2003 6:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"- and so's Mister Motricé." Becca smiled wryly. "He's probably going to go - he's not set anything on fire for a few months, so he's got to be going through withdrawal by now." ~ Becca Acerbi
Alisson McIntosh

Post by Alisson McIntosh »

At the mention of questions Alisson perked up. She decided to start with the most pressing. "How much is tuition?" She felt her face start to warm as she asked, but she had limited funds and needed to know. She wondered what she would do if the price was too exorbitant. She'd have to find a job and housing elsewhere and try to save up she supposed. As an afterthought Alisson asked "and do you accept Earendil?" She asked the last question more quietly and her face was definitely flaming now.
terra ravlyn

Post by terra ravlyn »

terra smiled at the person at the desk and asked him "what do you do once your here? because i havn't a clue and i don't think anyone else know's either.'
Ashirim

Post by Ashirim »

Ashirim looked up when the clerk addressed the group. He had heard about there being diffrent types of mages so when asked if he had any questions he said, "I was wondering how many diffrent types of mages there are and what is the diffrence between them?"
Elvin Motricé
Retired staff

Post by Elvin Motricé »

The clerk was surprised by Allisson's last question: "Ofcourse we accept Earendil, why shouldn't we?" He observed her for a while before continuing: "The fee to the University is at this moment none in monetary value. One shall only aid the University when they are asked to. That is why all of you sign your registration forms."

The man looked at Ashirim as if his question confused him: "How many different types of mages? You make it sound like there are many different types but that is not so. There are only two Paths that one can follow here: that of the Mage, a scholar who excels in all things magical and that of the Battlemage, a mage whose power serves to augment combat skills in others and himself. The battlemages themself can wield at least one weapon. I wouldn't suggest the latter for those of you who do not like excitment and danger. It is one, probably the thoughest study on the whole of Tazlure in magery."

He looked at Terra: "What do you do once you get here? You learn ofcourse! There is a training schedule that is followed strictly." He smiled: "Does that answer your questions?
"- and so's Mister Motricé." Becca smiled wryly. "He's probably going to go - he's not set anything on fire for a few months, so he's got to be going through withdrawal by now." ~ Becca Acerbi
Alisson McIntosh

Alisson didn't trust the receptionist's reaction to her question, she would have to read this 'registration form' very carefully. His mention of the distinction between battlemage and scholar mage peaker her interest also. She hadn't known there were different types of mages; but she was willing to put off that question until she had received these registration forms.

As the man looked around for confirmation as to whether or not he had answered the questions satisfactorily, Alisson nodded her head.
terra ravlyn

Post by terra ravlyn »

terra looked down, she could feel the heat rising in her cheeks as realised the stupidity of her question. after remaining silent for a few minutes she raised her head and asked the clerk "what is the differnence between a scholary mage and a battle mage apart from weilding a weapon? does being a scholary mage mean you just sit in some back room reading books and learning the theory of this and the theory that? whilst battlemages go outside and learn how to do practicle, usefull stuff? sorry if i sound rude or ignorant but is that whats it like? one way leads you to praticle learning the other theory?"
Ashirim

Post by Ashirim »

Ashirim was satisfied with the clerks answer but he still had more questions.
"How long is each course?"He asked,"Oh and are we allowed to get jobs outside of the university?"
Elvin Motricé
Retired staff

Post by Elvin Motricé »

The clerk frowned: "An excellent question, what differs these mages from each other? Well at first it are the situations they are trained for. The battlemage is trained for combat speficic purposes thus he focusses on the battlepart of magic. And by no means a normal mage will be bent over his books all the time although a good part of both studies will take studying the ways of magic. A mage is a master in the magic that he chooses while a battlemage is specificly trained for combat and combat-like situations." He smiled: "And battlemages get ofcourse a lot dirtier and some of them die at a younger age."

He began rummaging through the papers on his desk untill he found the right one and began reading out loud: "Battlemage daily training schedule: Last Mark, Gravetide, Before Dawn, to First Mark, Morningtide, one mark past dawn), Morning Physical Fitness. First Mark, Morningtide to Second Mark, Morningtide Cleanup and Breakfast. Second Mark, Morningtide to Fourth Mark, Morningtide Energy Manipulation Basics. Fourth Mark Morningtide to Last Mark, Morningtide Academics I. Last Mark, Morningtide to First Mark, Tradetide Lunch. First Mark, Tradetide to Third Mark, Tradetide Academics III. Third Mark, Tradetide to Last Mark, Tradetide BattleMagics. Last Mark, Tradetide to First Mark, Eveningtide Dinner. After Last Mark, Tradetide free unless given special assignments." He took a pause and looked at Ashirim: "I do not think you can take on a job with either of these trainings. Listen." He began reading out loud again: "Mage daily training: "First Mark, Morningtide to Second Mark, Morningtide Breakfast. Second Mark, Morningtide to Fourth Mark, Morningtide Energy Manipulation Basics. Fourth Mark Morningtide to Last Mark, Morningtide Academics II. Last Mark, Morningtide to First Mark, Tradetide Lunch. First Mark, Tradetide to Third Mark, Tradetide Academics IV. Third Mark, Tradetide to Last Mark, Tradetide Magery. Last Mark, Tradetide to First Mark, Eveningtide Dinner. After Last Mark, Tradetide free unless given special assignments." He turned around the paper: "Those that can read can see for themselves."

<table><small><tr><td><b>Time Estimate</b></td><td><b>Battlemages</b></td><td><b>Non-Battlemages</b></td> </tr> <tr><td>Last Mark, Gravetide (Before Dawn) to First Mark, Morningtide (one mark past dawn) </td><td>Morning Physical Fitness</td><td>nothing scheduled (although they might be woken up)</td></tr> <tr><td> First Mark, Morningtide to Second Mark, Morningtide </td><td>Cleanup / Breakfast</td><td>Breakfast</td></tr> <tr><td>Second Mark, Morningtide to Fourth Mark, Morningtide</td><td>Energ Manipulation Basics</td><td>Energy Manipulation Basics</td></tr><tr><td>Fourth Mark Morningtide to Last Mark, Morningtide</td><td>Academics I</td><td>Academics II</td></tr> <tr><td>Last Mark, Morningtide to First Mark, Tradetide</td> <td>Lunch</td><td>Lunch</td></tr><tr><td>First Mark, Tradetide to Third Mark, Tradetide</td> <td>Academics III</td><td>Academics IV</td></tr><tr><td>Third Mark, Tradetide to Last Mark, Tradetide</td><td>BattleMagics</td><td>Magery</td></tr><tr><td>Last Mark, Tradetide to First Mark, Eveningtide</td><td>Dinner</td><td>Dinner</td></tr><tr><td>After Last Mark, Tradetide</td><td>free unless given special assignments</td><td>free unless given special assignments</td></tr>
</small></table>

Under it was scribbled:
Energy Manipulation Basics for now will be the same for all classes.
Academics I/II - History (one class)
Academics III/IV - Herbal Lore (one class)
Alisson McIntosh

Alisson read the sheet and began to feel giddy. It sounded like heaven, and the man had said she wouldn't have to pay! Soon she was shifting her weight from foot to foot with excitement. She had dreamed of this virtually her whole life and here she was. There was no doubt in her mind; she had no interest in battle and she had even less aptitude in that field than she had interest. But if there was a library, she would be there to explore it. If there were ancient tomes of lore, Alisson would pour over them. Yes, it sounded like the life for her.

"Sir, what do we do to get in?"
Fauna Winthrope
Student of Magick

Post by Fauna Winthrope »

ooc> Sorry if i didn't get to post this last few days. It was holy week here in our country and all catholics are supposed to pause their work and hold their breath. It's a custom and one should abide by it even if it's ridiculous.

IIC> Fauna listens attentively to the conversation around her. She stepped back a few pace in order for other applying students to ask their question.

Listen, observe and think. It was the first lesson her mentor, the Court Mage in Amun Rah taught her.

And as she listens, she breathed a silent sigh of relief when she heard that it'll not cost any single coin for the tuition fee.

She glanced back at her baggage which she left near the gate, checking if it's still there and return her gaze back to the old man behind the gate.

I'm not suitable for a battlemage, she thought as she scrutinized the schedule and timetable of the would be student of the University. I'll be a mage then.

Patiently, she waited for the old man to hand out the application form.
Ashirim

Post by Ashirim »

Ashirim listened to the assistant as he read through the training schedule. He wasn't bothered that he would not be able to get a job; he just wanted to see if he'd be able to make a few honest coins in his spare time. It appeared not. As to which mage type he was going to choose, he was certain about becoming a mage. He thirsted for knowledge and the scholary mage gave a freedom that you just couldn't have with the battlemage. Ashirim was finally going to make something of himself in life. He smiled inside and waited for the clerk to finish.
Elvin Motricé
Retired staff

Post by Elvin Motricé »

The clerk smiled to Allisson: "Well it is simple: I fill out the registration forms and you agree to the terms of them by signing them with your blood." Again the grey-haired man began to rummage through his papers until he turned up with a few sheets. "Ok, I need your names and the Path you want to choose."
Alisson McIntosh

Alisson straightened her shoulders as the receptionist did the same to his papers. She was uncomfortable giving her information in front of the other students, but she told herself it was definitely worth it.

“Alisson McIntosh, and I wish to be a mage.”

Taking one of her daggers, Alisson pricked the index finger of her left hand in order to sign her name. At a moment like this with the other students around waiting for their turn, Alisson was grateful for her mother teaching her how to read and write.
Last edited by Alisson McIntosh on Fri Apr 25, 2003 8:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fauna Winthrope
Student of Magick

IIC:

Fauna Winthrope almost coughed at loud at the mention of blood and her face turned pasty white.

"Blood? Did I hear blood?" She murmured as she looked around, hoping to catch a sight of exit. But rationalization resurfaced and she composed herself regally again. After the introduction of the woman called Allison, she gathered herself and paced towards the desk.

"I am Fauna Winthrope from the court of Amun Rah," she elegantly curtsied to the old man behind the desk. "With thine permission, learned one, I shall be a wizard-mage."

She straightened majestically, sighed theatrically and with dramatic poise, she offered her hand to the scholar.

"I am ready to spill my blood now for my dream." Fauna breathed shakily as she looked away and covered her eyes with the back of her hand. "But please be gentle with me, O learned one, for I am but a frail flower against thine might and wisdom."

ooc> i'm very sorry. I couldn't help it. I'm plodding my way now in shakespearean literature and i couldn't help but add that. :D
Elvin Motricé
Retired staff

Post by Elvin Motricé »

The clerk began to write and those that mentioned their name and Path got there registration forms. "By signing these forms you bind yourself to the University. We can call upon you to do us favours in exchange for your studies. You'll have to be availeble a long time after your studies. One of these tasks is for example teaching others."

The grey-haired man smiled to Fauna: "If we ask if you to wound yourself we'll also give you the means to heal yourself." He bot a small needle and a bottle of purple fluid from a drawer in his desk. "Give me your hand, miss."
Fauna Winthrope
Student of Magick

IIC:

Fauna opened her eyes warily upon hearing the scholar replied. Slowly peeking towards him, she gently lowered her hand and offered them to the man behind the desk.

"Will it be painless?" She asked in her most winsome voice. "I shall bear the hurt nobly if it's not. I pray that it wouldn't take too long."

Fauna gravely looked into the pointy needle the gray-haired man procured and steadied herslef against the edge of the desk.

"You mentioned earlier Learned One, that this will be a binding spell." She conversed with the scholar to hide her nervousness.

"Will the hex bind us permanently to the University? And what is the construction of the enchantment, will we be obeying some higher wizard-mage against our will or are they some leeway or side effects that might harm an individual under the weave?"

She waited calmly bellying the fact that the pointed needle is some inches away from her skin. She fought the urge to shudder and tremble for fear of the needle sticking deeply into her skin. Her voice was her only alleviation against her fear and she again opened her maw to ask the gray-haired man.

"So I suppose, Learned One, that you are still in the hex of the binding, though wisdom and experience lies heavily but remarkably upon your shoulder. Would you want to be released of the enchantment?"
Alisson McIntosh

Alisson felt a wave of anxiety wash over her as the man mentioned the possibility of her having to teach others. She really wasn't a people person and she was woman enough to admit it. As the other girl offered her hand to the receptionist Alisson wiped her left hand on her skirt. She felt silly for poking her finger when there was obviously some sort of ritual involved. As the other girl continued her chatter Alisson felt a well of fear form deep within her. Was that really what happened? By signing with blood would they be relinquishing their will power to some unknown mage? Throughout her life Alisson had heard just as many stories of Mages going bad as she had of Heroic Mages. But she told herself, this is the University of Magiks; surely no one of that ilk is here.

Lowering her head Alisson allowed her hair to veil her face as she studied the receptionist. He seemed normal...well, semi-normal. He certainly didn't look like he had no will of his own.

"How long do we remain beholden after we leave the University?"

While awaiting his response Alisson moved along-side the other girl and proffered her hand.
Elvin Motricé
Retired staff

Post by Elvin Motricé »

Looking at Fauna for a few moments the clerk bursted out in an uncontrollable laughter: "Bound against your will? Nobody is bound against their will. For everything you want to do in this world there is a price. To assure that nobody will break the rules you will be bound to the University. You will have a free will ofcourse and there shall be no mage that can control you. Your agreement lays with the University and with the University alone. It is like... like a contract you would make when you're a merchant although this contract is more bounding of nature and can not be broken unless you've fullfilled your task for the university."

The man sighed: "I can not say how long ones service could last. Yes, it is true that I myself have been bound to this University a long time ago. I've continued my work here out of my free will because I like it and I can not part with this institute, it is my home and it has been so for many of my more then 200 yahren."

He dipped the needle in the purple fluid and smiled at Fauna: "Every birth brings pain. But the pain will diminish as soon as you behold your child. So is it also with this weaving. A new life awaits."

He took a hold of Fauna's hand and pricked her. A small drup of blood welled up and fell on the registration form. There was a short flash of pain and her eyesight blurred for a moment and then it was done. She looked at her hand and saw... Nothing! The small wound had disappeared!

The clerk looked at Allisson and took hold of her left hand and saw the wound she already made and smiled a bit: "It was not necesarry to do this yourself."

He repeated the ritual on her left index finger. She experienced the same as Fauna and when she looked at her hand even the wound she brought there herself was completely healed.

The clerk smiled slightly: "Are there any questions left?"
Alisson McIntosh

Heartened by the fact that she would retain her own will, Alisson stared at her finger in wonder. It was amazing! She'd heard of magic of course, but Hanna had never done anything like this. Suddenly her anxiety was replaced by something bordering on giddy. It was really happening; she was going to become a mage.

Alisson allowed herself to smile as she looked back up at the receptionist. "No I don't think I have any,” and it was true. For the first time in a while Alisson's curiosity was sated.
Ashirim

Post by Ashirim »

Ashirims eyes widened at the mention of being bound. Maybe an instinct just wasn't enough for him to become a mage. He'd never really been able to stick to anything in his life, apart from playing his harp and practicing his sword. Well he hadn't said anything to anybody yet, maybe he could leave without making a fool of himself. Yes, that was what he'd do. If he decided that being bound to the university and it's rules was a decent price to pay, he'd come back. Making this decision silently to himself, he slowly slipped away from the desk. He was used to slipping away so nobody payed him any heed. Besides they were all too caught up binding themselves to this place.
Elvin Motricé
Retired staff

Post by Elvin Motricé »

The clerk smiled and nodded: "Mireal will take you on a tour through the University and will answer all your questions." Then he looked to terra who had been silent: "And what about you? What shall your decision be?"

From a door at the far side of the Hall appeared a tall, slender woman appeared an waved at Fauna and Allisson, motioning them to follow her.

OOC: To get you into the stories currently running in the UoM I changed the timestamp to Samheen 6th. Fauna and Allissonyou can now post in the UoM forum. There will be a thread titled: "Fauna and Allisson: a new life awaits..."
Last edited by Elvin Motricé on Tue Apr 29, 2003 6:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fauna Winthrope
Student of Magick

IIC:

Fauna nodded gratefully towards the gray-haired man and turned her attention to their guide and Allison and smiled sweetly.

"I don't believe we've been properly introduced. My name is Fauna Winthrope." She looked at the two woman and offered her hand.

"I think I'll like it in here." she gushed all over, looking around her in amazement and caught sight if her baggage near the entrance.

"Oh, Mistress Mirael," there was a look of concerned on Fauna's face. "I completely forgot my bags." She pointed at the two wooden chest at the gate. "I suppose I need help in carrying that?"

She looked questioningly at Mirael.

OOC: Thanx Elvin for the welcome. It IS a blast roleplaying with you. I'll have to jump now to the UoM thread. I just want to point my baggage.

Return to “University of Magicks Archive”