All This & More: Dorian Drake - Samheen 10

Moderator: Mods

Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

All This & More: Dorian Drake - Samheen 10

Post by Shaeliana »

Samheen tenth dawned cool and clear, the late summer days giving way to the feel of autumn. The chill morning air was still, the calls of the lake gulls punctuating the tranquility. Touches of color were beginning to show up in the trees that grew along the sandy shoreline. The first hints of daylight had just appeared over the horizon when Cat began her wake up ritual, prancing on the couple still nestled together.

Groaning softly, the blonde snuggled closer to her husband a smile on her lips. "Morning handsome lover mine," she greeted him softly.
Last edited by Shaeliana on Sat Nov 08, 2003 9:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[color=hotpink][i]The secret of success is sincerity. Once you can fake that you've got it made.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

"Maranda, my love," came the morning-rough response, with a slow smile, and the gentle blinking of deep blue eyes, which was all Dorian seemed to need to awaken fully - just a few eyeblinks. "Tides are in. Time to rise for me," But instead he cuddled her in his arms for a moment, kissing her mussed hair and forehead.

Then he was up, heedless of the chill, the cat dancing around his legs as he dressed and nearly getting stepped on. He tucked the blankets around Maranda's feet, let the cat out, and gathered up his nets and traps, and the bucket of bait, the oars, the gaff and his knife. The nets were slung over one broad, muscled shoulder, the knife in his rope belt, the bucket in one hand and the oars and gaff in the other.

"I ought to be back afore next high tide," he said, and at Maranda's questioning look, "At about 3 rings of the church bell. Afternoon. Rest ye well, my lover." The newness of the term put a slight blush on him, and then he was off to his boat, to get the fishing in.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Green eyes watched him dress and gather his things, a happy smile breaking into a giggle as he tucked the blanket around her and headed prepared to head out to work.

"Have a good day, Dorian," she beamed nodding at his instructions as to when he'd be back. That gave her plenty of time to finish the embroidery work and take it into Marta. That would leave her free to see her aunt when she went later into town with Dorian. His cheeks blushing as he called her his lover brought a grin to her face as her heart leapt, it all making a warm very happy almost giddy place inside her. She lay in bed for some time after he was gone, thinking about the night before and grinning happily. But the sun breaking through her window meant time to rise and get busy. There was a lot to accomplish today.

Cat meowed happily at being let out and pranced along beside the fisherman for some time before taking off in pursuit of something. Way down the beach, another small boat was preparing to launch out onto the lake. The gulls were busy searching for scraps, noisy creatures that they were. The water was calm, the breeze light and the sky clear. It looked like it would be a perfect day.
[color=hotpink][i]The secret of success is sincerity. Once you can fake that you've got it made.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

He had a sappy smile on his face, thinking about Maranda and the pleasures of last night. She had no idea how happy she made him, he thought, or that without her, he'd be more lost than ever he had been. He set off toward the boat, sandals digging into the storm-brought sand, to his boat.

Dorian set his gear into the boat, save for the knife in his belt, and looked to see the other fisherman. It was as good a time as any to see about a crew for the tuna, and he wanted the man's name. Anyone out early, for the fish, was a wise fisherman, and there was a need of them for the catching of a big fish.

He set off, rowing with firm, powerful strokes, to lay out his lobster traps and their floats of wood and cork, then headed out to try to net bluefin. It was a somewhat greasy fish, the oil glands of which could be squeezed onto a piece of cloth, sealing it against the elements and letting light through. He wasn't about to spend money on a piece of glass, heaven forfend. That stuff was expensive, and if Dorian mucked about with expensive breakables while on land, well, the worst would happen. He'd never fully gotten over the transition to two legs; he guessed, after a long time of thought, that his early days were mostly as a seal. He was clumsy, very clumsy at times. Living right by the water helped, helped key into the grace he had in a sealskin. The further from it he got, the more stumbly-fumbly he was. That was why he had no glass fishing floats. Old Drake had had 8. Then 6. Then 5. Then 4. Then he sold the last 4 and used the same wood and cork floats Dorian had today.

But Dorian didn't mull too long, or too heavily. Fishing needed attention, to keep it safer. He made a mental note to ask Redlon about the boat and fishing, which essentially filled up his mental notepad, and set to his work with a steady hand and a good will. The lobster traps would sit and hopefully gather more lobsters than the Mer had a taste for, and the nets might bring in a catch, enough for dinner and to sell. And breakfast was down there, swimming around. His exertions last night had made him hungry, but he couldn't stomach land food today. A nice juicy fish, that would be perfect.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

The other boat had two men in it, though at this distance it was difficult to tell much about them. Their dress typical of fishermen, they put out into the lake a bit before Dorian. As the sun came up, the air warmed and the breeze off the water picked up a bit.

A better day for fishing than it had been the day previous, the fisherman found his nets squirming with loads of fish though most of them were the size of his hand or smaller. Further out in the lake, the size of the fish increased though the numbers were less. Still, patience and endurance paid off and he had a very healthy catch. His lobster traps were full as well, only two units vacant though several of the lobsters were still young ones. The bluefin was harder to come by though and none of those were to be found today, at least not in the nets.

The other boat had finished its run and was headed back to the docks, lake gulls following them eagerly awaiting the feast that was about to be throw out for them.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Dorian threw back all the young ones, and rowed in, to take his place up on the cutting logs. There were a lot of fish to gut and string. The lobsters were put in the bucket, the fiesty ones with their claws tied shut. He had rebaited the traps with the fish guts from the fish he'd eaten for breakfast and lunch, raw, and left them out to collect overnight.

He carefully made the transition to land, got out the catch, gaffed the bucket handle to carry it and his nets, and walked up to the men as they were at work with their own catch. He didn't often exchange words with other fishermen; it was just how he was, he had nothing to say, and his conversational skills had been dire until he'd met Maranda.

"g'day," he said, and set the lobster bucket down, carefully, out of reach of sandalled, webbed feet that were not so good on the land, then put down the nets, to begin killing, gutting and cleaning the fish. "My name is Dorian Drake," he added, since they might or might not know him. And since he got down to brass tacks, being of a simple mindset, "I was wondering if you have an interest in going out for a big fish. Such as could feed us, our families, and the town, this winter."
William Plaice

Post by William Plaice »

Before either of the men responded, they exchanged a quick look that seemed to convey some thought between the two of them. The older and smaller of the two fishermen looked up at Dorian and gave him a curt, friendly nod. "Fine day to ya, Dorian Drake. I'm William Plaice, and this here is Thomas Lively. Good ta finally meet you...been seein' you out for a while now. And it's a fine thing, you mentioning the big fish...not a week gone, Tom an me, we seen one..." he said, leaning back from his busy, bloody task of cleaning to share his tale.

"We were far out...much farther than usual, what with the calm waters. We thought we'd risk a deeper catch an enjoy the fine day. Well, ya get bigger catches so far out, and sure enough, we did well. One even tore free of the net we was using, pullin' one of the net rat lines clean away for a good ten paces er so. Took ol' Tom here a whole tide just ta fix it, it did. Now, the net weight was still on the end of the rat line, but no bait at all...we was nettin, not chunkin' ya see..." said Will, pointing downward to emphasis his point. Behind him, Tom nodded his agreement with the fish tale. "And all of a sudden, the waters break up somthin' fierce, and out jumps a fish ah never tried before...big monster, maybe the size of four men, blue with dark stripes collared along it's sides and a sharp, pointed head. Aye, mate...a marlin. Massive monsters, but growin' frisky an well worth the effort ta catch. But it'd take the three of us ta bring even one in...and ah've never done it before myself. That fish, it's known as a fighter, now...it'll give us a run fer our money, even after we'm hooked it square..."

Post by Guest »

Dorian shook his head. He hadn't meant a little tuna. He had meant one of the one-ton monsters that lurked in the deep lake, the ones you had to harpoon. "I weren't talking bout one that fits in a net," he said, in his slow, plodding way, cutting and gutting fish with the ease of much practice. "I were talking bout the big ones. The ones that needs a bigger boat than thyne or mine, that needs a few men what knows their business to bring in. I need to cut a shaft for my harpoon, and get the ropes to drag it, and the loan of a bigger boat, and many hands. The meat would feed many a long time, fill the smokehouses."

This was by way of a great deal of conversation from the reticent young man, and he returned to cutting fish. He couldn't speak and trust his land-clumsy fingers with a knife at the same time, for while he was strong and able, he was not the sharpest tack in the box. It leant another air of strangeness about him, the slow, serious ways he had, the webbed feet, the predilection to jump into the water at any time, winter or summer, the odd origin of being pulled from the water by the private and grouchy old cheapskate, Nate Drake. The boy he had named Dorian had adopted many of the cheapskate ways, but also had, if gossip served, acquired a pretty young wife. So he had to have some good features.

And as he was cutting fish, the gold band with the little gems on his finger gleamed, even with a sheen of fish blood. And he wasn't wearing a sailcloth shirt, but one of good weave and crafting, though his rope and tar sandals were the same as he had worn for years, and his canvas breeches ragged at the knee. The cold never seemed to bother him, either.
William Plaice

Post by William Plaice »

As Dorian spoke, Will's eyes widened and his knife stopped it's swift work. He stared at the new arrival with silent astonishment, unable to respond at first. After a moment, he gathered his wits about him and glanced over to his side at his silent partner, Tom Lively, before he spoke again to Dorian.

"Leviathan, mate? You seek ta track down the really big one, aye? Well, I've never even considered such a thing...never even caught sight of the likes o' that before, though I've heard me share of stories, true enough. Why, we'd need 'arpoons, an leadin' line, an a few whalin' boats...but sure, they could fill the smokehouses fer a week w'just one. Good eatin', too, so I've been told. An the blubber's good fer oils an such. Why, a treasure it would be...an well worth the trouble. Do you know anyone with a boat that might serve?"

Post by Guest »

"The last one I remember, was taken when I was nigh grown. About 7 years ago. There were nine men. Tis not easy though. Two were hurt, but the smokehouses were filled and the winter was passed without hungers. Then the fishing was good, and some of the men who knew the ken of Muc-an-sgadain, have gone." that was a lot for Dorian to say, and he cut fish for another moment, while he slowly ordered his next thoughts and memories. One of the men who knew the way of the big ones. He had also inadvertently slipped into the language he's learned first, the Selkie's tongue, to name the fish.

"I have in mind a ton or so of fish," said Dorian, in his thoughtful, slow way, "And three boats, one large enough to haul, two to assist with lead lines and hauling. I know a man who has a boat big enough to manage hauling such a catch, and I'll speak to him today, if he's about. So, then, if a crew can be raised, and boats made ready, you will be among them ?"
William Plaice

Post by William Plaice »

William seemed to consider Dorian's words carefully, his knife returning to it's busy work as well. Dorian could tell the he considered the offer carefully, for his knife did not work with the same speed and efficiency that any fisherman could manage. After a long moment in which no words were said, he looked up at grinned a toothy smile. "Aye, mate. If you go out to hunt the big'un, I'll be w'you. What about you, Tom? You out fer a new sort o' fishin?"

The tall, lanky man next to him smiled and nodded, showing his interest in the endeavor, though he spoke no words. In truth, Dorian had yet to hear anything said by the other man, and his appearance made him to seem rather simple. He had a thin, crooked frame and sandy, sun paled hair over an absent, almost simple face that never ceased it's hint at a smile. His hands were deft, though, and he easily gutted two fish for Will's one.

Post by Guest »

Dorian nodded, having exhausted his own conversational abilities. He returned to his gutting and stringing of his catch, since as far as he was concerned, the matter was settled. He liked to concentrate when he was holding a knife, on land, and he was setting no speed records, just cutting fish in a calm, steady way.

He looked at the heap of guts and considered using the bottom of his shirt to carry them to the shack, decided Maranda would not like him to ruin his shirt, and pondered for a moment what to do. The bucket was full of lobsters. Well, maybe they wouldn't eat too much on the way to the shack, where there was another salvaged container for such items, or maybe a cat interested in some dinner. He was a Drake. Drakes never threw anything useful away, not if they could use it or sell it.

He shouldered the nets, the gaff, the heavy string of fish and the bucket in his hands, and nodded another farewell to the fishermen. The oars he was leaving in the boat, at least for the moment.
He trotted along to the shack, to find Maranda and unload his gear so he could walk into town with her. "Maranda !"
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Not sure if Dorian would come home hungry or not, the blonde had made sure to be home well before her husband and had fixed up a soup out of the leftovers from last night and a few wild roots she'd found nearby and dug up. There was also a blackberry bush she would have to watch next summer.

She sat working on a new piece of embroidery Marta had sent home with her to work on. The sound of her husband hollering her name brought her to her feet and out the door before she had time to think, wondering what was wrong. It wasn't like him to raise his voice, must less yell. Outside, the site of him trotting towards her only reinforced her fear that something was wrong. She had never seen Dorian do anything but walk on land.

"What is wrong Dorian?" she cried out as she ran towards him, her eyes scanning down the beach to see if he was running from something. Perhaps he had seen some of the evil that the merqueen had told them about.

"What happened?" she asked, green eyes wide with concern, the blood on her hand where she'd pricked herself with the needle unnoticed and unfelt.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Dorian shook a huge string of fish to show her, broad grin on his face, still dripping. Wet nets were piled on one shoulder, also dripping, but he was happy, for he had good news. "I found some fishermen willing to hunt Muc-an-sgadain." He sounded mighty cheerful about it.

He looked at her curiously, for she seemed concerned. Then considered that he'd moved along at a fairly brisk pace for himself, to get here, without - and this was important - tripping over his own feet. While carring his gaff. Both eyebrows shot up; he'd been lucky not to fall. Maybe he was starting to get the hang of this land thing. "Your finger's bleeding."
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

"Oh! Look at you!" the blonde's concerned look curled up into a smile at his presentation of the fish and his good news. "Fishin' was good t'day I see adn ya found some other fishermen? That's wonderful news, Dorian," she kissed his cheek, offered to take the bucket of lobsters and linked arms with him to stroll back to the house.

"I thought maybe somethin' was wrong. Never saw ya come lopin' along like that b'fore," she squeezed his arm snuggly and looked at her bleeding finger.

"Musta stuck myself with the needle. Ah, I hope I didn't get any on the shirt I'm workin' for Marta," she shook her head and stuck her finger in her mouth to get rid of the blood.

"Didn't know if you come in from fishin' hungry or what. Made some soup but it'll save til later if yer not hungry and wanta go ta town and talk ta Redlon first," she smiled and patted is arm turning loose as they reached the house and she set the bucket down.

"What do ya do with yer wet nets?" she queried as she watched him unload the myriad of items he was carrying.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Dorian grinned. Of course he had hurried along. He wanted to see her. That was worth any number of skinned knees. "I could have some soup. Might take a while to sell the fish and talk. I'll hang the nets and get the bait out of the bucket, and we'll have soup. So long as your finger's all right." He started setting down things, and looked thoughtfully at the shack.

"I used ta sleep on them," said Dorian, about the nets, with a slight frown. She wouldn't like them dumped on the bed. "I'll hang them up on the shack. You better stand back."

It took him three tries, staggered him all over, knocked over the lobster bucket (and several made a passionate bid for freedom) but he got the nets up to dry. After setting aside the bait, ignoring her giggles, and a good quick bowl of soup, he was quite content to go into town. Sure, the other fishermen were probably there first, but he wanted to look at Maranda for a bit. That was food for the soul. After carefully closing up the shack, he set off with his wife, carrying the fish and the bucket. This time, walking carefully; town had cobblestones.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

After assuring him that her finger was fine, she stood back as he fought with getting the nets up to dry on the shack. Watching him, she wondered if there wasn't a better way for this to be done. Hanging clothes to dry was a smaller task but should work the same she thought. For now, it was only a thought to muse on.

Clapping at the final success, she went inside to dish out two bowls of the fish soup and brought them outside, to eat in the afternoon sunshine as Maranda questioned her husband about the fishermen he's met and what was said, her excitement over this prospect building as Dorian talked about it.

The warm sun was a nice foil to a cool breeze creating a very lovely day as the couple walked into town. Before they arrived at the market area, the fisherman was stopped by an older woman offering to buy some fish for a lance each. Maranda collected the money as Dorian handed out the fish. Food for sale drew others and when the buyers trickled away, Dorian was left with five fish on his stringer while his wife's purse had grown considerably heavier.

"We musta sold at least twenty fish, Dorian. Maybe more like twenty-two or three," she giggled as she untied her purse from her belt. "Don't think carryin' it out here's a good idea," she turned towards her husband and tucked it down into her bodice, snuggled between her cleavage.

"Outta be okay there though," she winked and took his hand. "What'll we do with those five?" she asked nodding at the leftoever fish.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

"Give 'em to Redlon or Aunt Dora," said Dorian affably, "And sell the bucket of lobsters, save one or two, I'm thinking lobster might be good tonight. The fellows at the church pay well for lobster." He had a memory drift in. "Maybe the kitchen at the inn is back and running, they could cook 'em for us and we could eat with your Aunt Dora. Like we did when we were courting."

He smiled at her, fondly. If she hadn't doused him with water at that inn, they'd likely never have met, for he kept his time in town to a minimum. And oddly enough, he didn't mind her holding onto the coin, after all, she was the clever one in the outfit. "Did you want to go to Marta's, or to Redlons, or to Aunt Dora's next. Redlon's is that way." He nodded in the direction, completely content to let her pick the next stop.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

“Oh, I went by Marta’s this mornin’ and took her the other piece I was stitchin’ an got a new piece ta work. Was workin’ it when you came back from fishin’. Very expensive skirt for some noblewoman, doin’ the embroidery work on the hem,” she grinned and headed in the direction Dorian had pointed.

“Might as well go talk ta Redlon and give him some fish as well,” she suggested. “Get all the necessaries outta the way first and then we can visit with Dora at the tavern without worryin’ about gettin’ stuff done. Need ta go ta the church next and sell these?” she gestured to the lobsters.

As they approached his shop, Redlon was out front whittling something out of a very pale piece of wood, talking to another tall muscular, rough-hewn man with a full red beard in contrast to his dark hair. Seeing Dorian approach, the old man grinned and greeted him.

“Dorian! As ya can see, I’m mostly back ta my old self,” he chuckled. “N’other few days I’ll be good as new. This here’s Lamar, off the merchant ship K’tan’s Lady,” he introduced the sailor and gestured to the fisherman. This ‘ere’s the son of an old friend, Dorian’s ‘is name and less my eye’s be wrong, that’d be ‘is pretty new wife I’ve heard s’much about,” the white haired man introduced the two, winking at the blonde who smiled and blushed slightly.

“Well met,” the sailor nodded at the fisherman and his wife.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

"Thank'ee. This is my wife, Maranda," said Dorian, starting to blush, as the whole idea was still quite new to him. He was holding her hand, as soon as he set down the lobster bucket. "I brought ye some fish." He handed over the fish to Redlon. "And I have a favour to ask."

Dorian was not the sort to dilly-dally about anything, he just got straight to the point once he had ponderously made up his mind to do something. "I've thought about trying for one of the big ones, Muc-an-sgadain. To get a fish that large I'm asking to borrow your boat, and find as many able fishermen as can man it and two others. For to share in the meat, to sell, salt and smoke the meat we need, and give the rest of it away. There's many who will need it, come winter. I have a harpoon and I know where to hunt it." The lobsters clunked around in the pail, but did not knock it over. "Will you come along ? I know you have hunted Muc-an-sgadain before, with your own boat."
Last edited by Guest on Wed Nov 19, 2003 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

With a nod both men greeted Maranda, the sailor giving her an appreciative look over though not done disrespectfully, just thoroughly. Taking her husband's hand she smiled, a bit of a blush coming to her cheeks at Redlon's words and the eyes of the sailor on her.

Gratefully, the old shipman took the fish from Dorian, slipped them off the stringer and into a nearby empty bucket, then handed the stringer back to Dorian.

"Thankee Dorian," he nodded and listened to the young man's request, hand moving to his snow-white beard as he considered the young man's words.

"Muc-an-sgadain? Been a long while since any here's tried ta bring in one of em'. It'd take a crew o' what... at least six.. maybe eight? Had ten the last trip out as I recall. Dangerous catch it is. If ye recall two was lost last time. Was a thrill comin' home wi'a biggun in tow. Spent full two days cleanin' and cuttin'." Snorting, he spit off to the side, looked at the sailor Lamar and then back to Dorian.

"If ya can find enough fishermen ta man the ship, I'll take ye out in my boat son," he said with a grin on his face. "I'm ta old ta be harpoonin' or rowin' but I can man the main boat's rudders. That I can do well," he chuckled as he warmed up more and more to the idea.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

"I remember," said Dorian, in his slow, grave way, tucking the stringer away, for he would absolutely use a piece of string until it was too small or worn to be useful anymore. It was not an easy thing, this hunting mission, it was full of danger at best. "I've spoke t' two men at the docks already, fishermen I've seen around. They're keen to try. There are others, but they're not in from the water yet. The main boat be yours, so you be Captain of it. I'll strike with the harpoon." Soon as he scavenged a shaft for it. The idea of buying one was fairly foreign to his way of thinking.

The position of harpoon was a highly dangerous one. While a large fish was in the water, you were standing up and trying to hit it, and when it WAS hit, it might well go mad, trying to flee, and not particular about direction. A fish that large could smash or swamp a boat. It would take....practice. Dorian's laborious thoughts ground to a halt. "Do ye have a shaft for a harpoon laying about, Redlon ?"
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Glancing at Maranda who stood quietly holding her husband's hand and smiling, the old man kept his face a mask of indifference at the young fisherman's comment about manning the harpoon. Dangerous as the whole mission was, that of the harpoonist could be the most dangerous, but no need to worry his pretty new wife about it. Turning his head to the side to spit again, Redlon nodded slowly.

"I know where ta lay hands on a shaft and can have it mounted for ya so's it'll be nice and snug. Bring it ta me and I'll see to it. Will take a day or two ta be ready though. When d'ya think ta be goin' out, Dorian?" the old man asked, running his wirey hand through locks of silver gray hair.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Dorian looked up at the sky, measuring it with shrewd blue eyes. "The weather's changing," he said, in his slow, thoughtful way. "The winter's coming. No later than a week from now, at most a fortnight." That would give him time to get some practice in, and find more fishermen, too.

He shook the bucket carefully, as the lobsters were starting to squabble and roister about, and splashed himself and Maranda's skirt. "Sorry, dear." he said, and started up a fine blush. "I can bring the harpoon head along tomorrow, then. Best I fetch these along to sell, though. Good day to you, Redlon, and good day to you, Lamar."

Time to take the lobsters along to the church, and then visit Aunt Dora.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Maranda waved, "Bye! Was nice meetin' ya both," she smiled and took her husband's arm as they left.

"Pleasure's ours fair lady," Redlon smiled back. "Be lookin' fer ya tomorrow Dorian," he nodded and waved.

After some confusion and talking to three different people, only the last being someone who worked in the kitchen at the church, Dorian managed to sell all but three of the lobsters, which they took with them to the Laughing King to visit Dora.

In high spirits, she was out under the tent that had been constructed while the tavern was being rebuilt. Hands were busy, noisily sawing and pounding as the first floor stared coming together. Already it was framed in and the interior was being set. Those that worked were treated to food and drink in make shift tables set up in what had been the large corale.

Pleased to see the two, Dora took the lobsters and prepared them along with some side dishes. The three ate and visited with much laughter between Maranda and her aunt. The sun had started its colorful plunge into the horizon when the two finally made their way home, empty bucket in tow. Cat was curled up in front of the door when they arrived.

OOC: Sent you a PM about the possibility of doing some "jump" days. Let me know what you'd like to do. :)
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Return to “On the Water Archive”