A Faraway Shore

Moderator: Mods

Nebhotep

A Faraway Shore

Post by Nebhotep »

Salt.

Nebhotep wasn't partial to the sickly tang of seawater. He was also impartial to the cake of salt and sand that coated his body as he awoke upon the warm beach. Still, the sands were warm and soft, and the sun felt pleasant upon his thick skin. Perhaps he might lay here for a while longer, wherever here might be.

He cracked his salt-caked eyes for a moment, letting the brilliant rays of the sun spill into them for but a flash, not surprised to see that his head lay half buried in the sands along with the rest of his massive body. Shifting his eyes slightly, he caught sight of another form moving along on the beach, a small rock with segmented legs...

"AHH!" he screeched, a strange sound to hear from an eight foot man that tipped the scales at over thirty three stone. Rising up suddenly from his warm cocoon, Nebhotep recoiled in horror from the little sea crab that skittered about upon the bleached shores, seeking out it's supper among the beached kelp in it's ignorant bliss, completely unaware of the fear it had given the giant nearby.

Nebhotep kicked at the hapless crab in disgust, sending the little beast away in a hale of flying sand. The motions caused small waves of pain to filter up his leg, reminding him of a number of wounds that gouged his massive legs. In a flash, he remembered how he had come to be upon this beach with nothing more than his travel bag and hook.

He had taken a ship away from Amun Rah, the country of his birth. He had found a place among the crew, helping in their daily routine, though he had willingly paid his fare along with the other passengers, ignorant that he had been overcharged on account of his large size. They had sailed for many, many days, touching at several ports, though Nebby had not yet chosen to depart the ship. Then one night, a freakish storm brought with it winds the Captain did not expect, and the ship was dashed against some reefs that gutted her instantly. Clinging to a large piece of flotsam, Nebhotep had drifted in towards this island, tearing his pantaloons and cutting his flesh along the jagged reefs as he made through to the beaches beyond.

Glancing around the beach, Nebhotep surveyed the scene around him. He noticed the door upon which he had floated only the night before, a flimsy piece of wood that had protected his life during the terrible ordeal, for he knew nothing of swimming. Smiling to himself, he withdrew his headscarf from his heavy leather bag, pleased to have saved his clothes at least, and wrapped it easily about his head with the practiced ease of a man that had done the same thousands of times before.
Nilufar Simin

Post by Nilufar Simin »

Nilufar was acutely miserable. Here she was, supposed to go off and have a marvellous adventure, and instead she was on some godsforsaken island in some part of the ocean that she didn't know but was quite certain was terribly dull. She kicked the sand petulantly with her webbed toes.

What also vexed her was that she had had to abandon most of her outfits, ones which she had embroidered herself and found to be quite lovely. But when the ship started to go down she knew that she could not save the wooden chest in which she usually kept her mantle of feathers -- so instead she had emptied her leather backpack of most of its contents, changed into a swan, grasped it in her beak and flown off to this horrid little rock.

And to make matters worse, she was convinced she was going to get a sunburn. A sunburn! And she was hot. And covered in salt. It was a terrible, terrible feeling. With a sigh she twisted her heavy silvery-blonde hair into a knot, the occasional downy feather a softer white among the shining masses, pinned it back with her comb, and wrapped her favorite scarf, a deep cobalt blue silk, around her hair to hold it in place, her long, simple silver earrings shining in the heat of the sun. Just because one had been stranded on an island was no reason not to look one's best! She smoothed the matching blue of her skirt and bodice, noticed with a grimace that the full sleeve of her sheer white blouse had a tear in it. Savagery!

Slinging her bag with its precious cargo over one slender shoulder, she set out in search of some fresh water when she suddenly heard an unearthly shriek. She saw that what she had taken to be a lump of flotsam on the shore was in fact a giant monster who had been lying in wait, surely, to spring upon her!

Blue eyes wide, she watched as the creature made its unearthly noises and gave a display of force, kicking the sand around it. Too stunned to move while it wasn't looking in her direction, she froze as it turned towards her, wrapping a scarf around its monstrous head.

At first she said nothing, merely clutching at her neck in acute distress. But this was no way for a heroine to behave, so she steeled her self, and spoke in a husky voice made huskier with thirst. "Fearsome creature, do thou not attack! What manner of beast would be so low as to inflict upon a helpless, innocent, nubile maiden his savage and primitive wrath! But if thou shouldst insist upon th'attack, know that I shall defend myself with all my strengths, fragile though they may be!" she declaimed, coupling her speech with dramatic hand-gestures and a look in her eyes that she thought nicely conveyed both supplication and ladylike ferocityl
Nebhotep

Post by Nebhotep »

Stone and talk.

The women where Nebhotep certainly never spoke as such, at least not where any man could hear her. But the massive man was never much akin to his own people, and in the city where he had been an honored slave for many yahren, they were more inclined to loquaciousness such as this. Still, this woman was like none of them, for where they were dusky of skin, dark of hair, and at least meek of talk, this one was all silver and white, like bleached stone, and her words were like fiery ice.

Despite this, he could not determine what of this woman seemed odd. Perhaps it was the mantle of down she wore? Or perhaps her hair, trapped beneath her azure cloth, that seemed to be grey beyond her years? Or was it her beauty, so stark and graceful, with an almost unreal quality of something that came from another world, or from a dream? Despite this, she seemed rather defensive of him, which was certainly not an uncommon or other-worldy reaction to his presence.

Nebhotep threw up his arms, holding his hands just over his head and smiling as he spoke. "Oh, I yield, woman...I beg what mercies you have to give, that you will not hurt me..." he drawled, his voice dripping with mirth and sarcasm as his dark eyes scanned her form from under his linen headdress. Bending low and collecting his bag and his hook, he stepped towards her, his massive feet leaving great holes in the sands as he walked. "And if you are so generous to give me mercy, perhaps you will be as generous with directions to a settlement? You would bask in the radiance of my gratitude for this," he said, the odd little woman certainly a curious sight upon the warm beach.
Orric

Post by Orric »

"Ungh!" Orric stirred, his dreams had been horrible last night...perhaps he should not have accepted that last flagon of drink. The sunlight beat down against him, its heat giving his throbbing skull no relief from the alcohol induced head ache that he had aquired aboard ship the previous evening.

Maybe things werent so bad though, he wasnt lurching at least, perhaps he had finally grown accustomed to the rocking of the ship on the waters. "This calls for an ale I think." if there was any left he chuckled to himself...something he would wish he hadnt done.

Orric's chuckling, perhaps a full belly laugh to some had set him rocking which confused him to no end. Finally the dwarf felt himself sliding along his back and tipping over, only to land face first in the sand...."Sand!?"

Spitting and sputtering, Orric used his arms to push himself up to a seated position so he could wipe the sand out of his face and have a look at his surroundings. Thats when he noticed that his 'bed' had been nothing more than a large empty keg, probably one of the ones he helped finish in the first place.

However the surrounding area provided no clue as to where he was, heck he didnt even remember how he got there but that was the ale's fault and not his own..so he told himself. There were bits and pieces of the ship all along the shore, which probably meant that he wasnt the only one washed up here, or so he hoped since the alternative gave him cause to shudder.

Giving the keg a push with his foot to be sure it was actually empty, Orric sighed and gathered what he could before wandering along the shore in search of something, more importantly someONE else.

Orric had only travelled perhaps half a mark when he blundered upon a situation involving a lovely young lass and what must have been that lumbering fool of a half giant both he had recognized from his time aboard ship.

"Oh this looks good, dont mind me just keep doing what you were doing." the dwarf waved to the two before propping up a battered plank against a rock and taking a seat to finish watching this particular parlay.
Nilufar Simin

Post by Nilufar Simin »

It talked! Nilufar's eyes widened still further then narrowed. In her experience, or, rather, in the stories she had heard, monsters never talked. Or at least not quite so eloquently. And monsters, surely, did not use sarcasm -- that would have been too unmannerly, even for a wild beast. And now there was another beast, a smaller one! And it reeked of drink. And it spoke too! Who knew that such things existed beyond the Mer de la Luna.

Nilufar scowled first at the new small creature, then at the big creature, a haughty jut to her chin. "If I knew where a settlement was," she said patronizingly, "do you think I would be standing around here talking to you?" Her logic was quite impeccable, she thought. Her eyes flickered over to the other creature. It looked like a small child, but had a full beard, so certainly could not be a child, could it? "And whatever should I do with your gratitude, radiant or otherwise?"

It was a largely rhetorical question. What use could such a big oaf be, except for carrying things? Which, now that she thought of it, could be quite a good use indeed. She looked at him with new interest. "I am in search of some fresh water. I shall allow you to accompany me," she told him magnanimously.
Nebhotep

Post by Nebhotep »

Tilting his head to one side as the lady spoke, Nebhotep's eyes slid over to the diminutive figure that was also present, a little man that seemed to be all hair. Have I not seen this little man before? I believe I might have heard him, wailing out some kind of song, while he was strong in drink. He was on the ship with me, I think, though there is only one way to be sure it is him. I wonder if the woman was a passenger as well?

Turning back to the regal Queen of the sands, Nebhotep's face was carefully positioned to appear as serious as he could. "Why, no...I suppose someone such as yourself would certainly not know what to do with any man's gratitude, would you?" he mocked, a grin spreading in response to his own bawdy wit. "Despite this, I should be pleased to accompany you to find...

...RAAAOOORGH!" he finished, the last delivered rather suddenly towards the dwarf with a deep, ear-splitting, ground-shaking roar, his hands lifted high yet again and opened like the claws of a hawk ready to strike.
Orric

Post by Orric »

Oh Orric was quite fascinated by the little squabble that the other two were having. Neither of the two were very friendly or so it seemed as they sparred verbally with one another.

Ooh...then the woman, who if she had some whiskers might actually be attractive actually scowled at him, at HIM! Well he wasnt going to take that sitting down, so he stood up and got ready to run in case she really got angry.

Things were looking better when she returned her attention to the great lumbering ox in front of her who had decided to annoy her further. Orric took a step towards the two planning to seperate them and send them to their rooms if necessary but then it happened...

...RAAAOOORGH!" he finished, the last delivered rather suddenly towards the dwarf with a deep, ear-splitting, ground-shaking roar, his hands lifted high yet again and opened like the claws of a hawk ready to strike.

Well enough was enough! Orric had had just about all he was going to take of them so he jumped back and "AHHHH!" he cried before tumbling into a heap and quickly losing conciousness.
Nebhotep

Post by Nebhotep »

Nebhotep watched the small man collapse to the sand like a sack of dead fish. He rose up and straightened his posture like a reasonable man and smacked his lips, clearing the spittle from them that had collected during his blood-boiling roar. He turned his gaze to the woman as he scratched his chin idly, annoyed by the infantile stubble that already shaded his jaw.

He had not had occasion to meet the dwarf while aboard the ship. He hadn't been aboard too long...not even a week, if half...and he spent much of his time in the miserable hold deep below the waterline. His clumsiness and ineptitude aboard the sailing machine coupled with his great bulk and inability to sleep in the short hammocks of the berthing deck to leave him that dark, lonely home during his stay aboard.

"I know this little man! He and I were passengers together only recently. I shall bring him with us, at least until he wakes to make such a decision for himself," stated Nebhotep. Turning his massive bulk towards the white and silver woman, the half-giant made a most impressive bow. "I am Nebhotep, son of Amunherkhepeshef, son of Sethhirkopshef. I should be pleased to accompany you on such a trek, for the sand upon my person does irritate me to no end, and I should be pleased to find such a thing as you speak."
Nilufar Simin

Post by Nilufar Simin »

Ignoring the small thing that had collapsed into a lump, Nilufar gave Nebhotep a withering glance, before pulling out what looked like a shawl of pristine white feathers and slinging it with practiced grace around her shoulders.

"I am Nilufar Simin, and you are holding this for me until I get back," she said, thrusting her bag at Nebhotep, then transforming into a swan and taking wing.

Her plan was to coast a ways inland to see if she could spot any rivers or lakes or other bodies of fresh water, then to return to the bulky creature and the little creature and lead them to it on foot. She certainly hoped she would find something -- and that it wouldn't be too far away. She needed fresh water in the worst way.

Post by Guest »

Nilufar's attempts were largely unsuccessful- wherever it was that the trio were, it was clearly deficient in water. Despite the proximity of the ocean and the abundance of green matter encroaching upon the narrow strip of beach, there was no large rivers coursing into the sea. Rather, there were only two noticeable sources of water, a large lake about a mile inland of where she had left the giant and the dwarf, although it appeared rather stagnant. It certainly did not seem as if it would be at all pleasant to drink.

The other source Nilufar found was a stream- more than a trickle, but definitely not quite a river yet. The water looked clean and cool, and it almost seemed to beckon through its tangible moisture. The only drawback, it seemed, was that the stream was much further inland- at least five miles, or so, wrapping around the central highlands and flowing to the side of the island diametrically opposed to the location where the group had washed ashore- as if it maliciously desired to avoid their greedy mouths.
Nilufar Simin

Post by Nilufar Simin »

Nilufar looked around the island, dismayed at what she saw, circling over again and again as if hoping that she had simply missed seeing the large, sparkling, calm lake that was there, that HAD to be there. But there was nothing -- and the swan that returned to the two men was profoundly dejected.

As she changed back into her human form she kept the mantle around her shoulders for a moment, as if cold, then folded it carefully before looking up at the half-giant, her large liquid eyes welling with tears.

"Nothing," she whispered. "A stagnant little puddle and a streamlet of clear fast water but unworthy of the title and besides that a great and desolate wasteland of... <i>vegetation,</i>" she said, spitting out the word with disdain. Her lower lip trembled for a moment, then she flung herself against Nebhotep, sobs wracking her slender frame.

"...no LAKE," one could hear her saying, as it slowly became clear that she was actually speaking in addition to sobbing. "Nothing, nothing, I am doomed, oh, I shall die on this barren green rock, with no water, no love, nothing, shall waste away and die and it is all so UNFAIR..." she dissolved into incoherent tears again.
Nebhotep

Post by Nebhotep »

Nebhotep had seen many things. He had once seen a sheep with dark hair. He had once seen a strange, triangular tooth upon a beach back in his homeland, a tooth the size of his hand. He had even seen a dwarf that frequently fell fast asleep whenever he was agitated by anything at all.

But he had certainly not seen a woman turn into a duck before.

Holding her bag with absent carelessness, he watched her change and force her way aloft, her broad wings hammering out a strong cadence in the warm, active airs of the seas. As she flew a few lazy circles that moved somewhat inland, he turned to the motionless form of the dwarf and nudged it with one of his massive feet.

"My friend, will you awaken to see the wonder I have just witnessed? Or...perhaps you will not..." he decided, turning back to watch Nilafur's flight, though she had gone beyond his vision momentarily. He waited patiently, uncertain of how long she might be but unwilling to leave the comatose dwarf for even a moment, until she returned and displayed her expression of sorrowful woe and pity just before she buried her weeping face into his stomach.

Nebhotep's very real awe was not ruined at all by her rather curious complaints, but his shock and wonder were quickly augmented with confusion. Placing a hand lightly upon her back, he spoke, but with some hesitation. "I...mean no disrespect to you, Nilufar Simin, but..." the giant jerked a massive thumb over his shoulder towards the endless sea behind him. "I believe I've located a rather substantial body of water...a much more prodigious sum that any lake I have ever seen..." he said, his face displaying his complete confusion as he glanced over at the motionless dwarf, almost willing him to rise and assist with the clearly distraught lady.
Nilufar Simin

Post by Nilufar Simin »

This impossibly doltish comment was enough to stem the flow of tears, and Nilufar pulled back and looked up at Nebhotep incredulously.

"<i>Fresh</i> water, I need fresh water," she said, not bothering to elaborate further, a look of rather impressive disdain on her tear-streaked face. Most women looked puffy and red and entirely unattractive after crying, but in Nilufar's case crying made her blue eyes seem bluer, brought a flush to her pale cheeks and made her lips seem swollen and fuller, a discovery which had not escaped Nilufar, and one which she had used to her advantage on many an occasion.

It was all too much for her. She had left home to start anew, but apparently the only thing she was going to be starting was the process of her long, tragic, and entirely undeserved death. Mentally she tried to calculate the number of hours she had spent in swan-form during the shipwreck, and how many more she needed to spend, and how long she could go without fresh water....

With a sigh she sank gracefully to her knees in the sand, burying her face in her hands, then collapsing the rest of the way to the ground. She lay sprawled on the shore, one hand flung over her eyes, the other digging listlessly into the sand. "I can't go on," she said dramatically, then decided to try for a different, more poignant intonation. "I... can't go on," she said in a throaty whisper. Yes, that sounded much better. She sighed again, thinking that sprawling on the hot sand was dramatic, but rather hot and itchy.
Orric

Post by Orric »

"I can't go on," she said dramatically, then decided to try for a different, more poignant intonation. "I... can't go on,"

"Dont worry lass, we'll find more ale!" Orric finally began to stir once the pretty young thing had dropped to her knees in the sand. Standing up and dusting off all the sand in his beard, the dwarf eyed the half-giant with a scowling glare in appreciation for what the stupid bugger had done.

"You!" he wandered over to Nebhotep and started talking and poking him directly in the stomache. "By the beards of my ancestors! What in the bloody blue blazes was THAT all about you big galoot! Dont you EVER do that again or I'll find me an axe and see how well you would fair down here!" kicking sand over Nebhotep's legs he turns his back with a harumphf and goes over to console poor Nilafur.

Placing his hands on her shoulders he stands in front of her, nearly eye to eye he has no troubles with it. "There there lass, dont give up hope just yet, its not so bad...." he leans in to whisper "we can always drown him in his sleep." he winks, hoping for some kind of reaction, a smile perhaps? Oh how it ate at him to see such a lovely creature in tears.
Nebhotep

Post by Nebhotep »

The bag in Neb's hand descended to his side slowly as he stared on at his two companions in a confused silence. Three times he opened his mouth to speak, and each time he closed it again, unable to find any rational response whatsoever for some time. Finally, he gave up and shouldered the white lady's bag and bent low to collect his crook. He turned to trudge up to the forest, his thoughts a strange collage of confusion and indignation.

Yet before he could take his third step, he turned and glared down at the dwarf. "No, no! How can this now be my fault?! Perhaps I begged the Captain Oh, please...wreck us there, for that island seems to have no FRESH water! Of course! Why, not only did I wish this abandonment upon us, but I would not have us take baths as well, for I am the soul of filth and evil, and..." he argued, raising his free hand to the sky like some priest or demagogue as he spat his sarcasm.

He brought his tirade to a sudden, embarrassed halt, and just glared skyward as his arms fell in defeat. He turned his words to the lady, if she could still hear him. "Nilufar Simin, if there is fresh water upon this island, we will find it and do what must be done to make it...usable..." he said, regretting his words immediately. "Perhaps you abandon hope too soon. The very short, angry creature and I might manage something suitable..."
Nilufar Simin

Post by Nilufar Simin »

Well, this was <i>far</i> better! Nilufar was quite pleased. This was the sort of attention she deserved. Water could wait, as long as she was being fawned over. She batted tear-stained eyes at the dwarf and gave him a fragile smile, then looked up at Nebhotep with a carefully-calculated look of slowly-melting hauteur.

She held out one hand to him imperiously to help her up, and sniffled bravely "Well, perhaps then I might see fit to let you manage something suitable..."
Nebhotep

Post by Nebhotep »

Moving forward quickly, Nebhotep quickly leaned down and took her tiny hand into his massive one and carefully lifted her to her feet, a pleasant, grateful smile upon his angular, lean face. He could not look away from her flawlessly beautiful countenance, with it's exotic, amazing colors and silver, shimmering crown of hair. He held her very carefully, as if she were made of porcelain and might shatter apart if he should make a wrong movement...

What am I DOING?

He rose up stiffly, turning away as soon as she had her feet beneath her. Gazing into the forest beyond, he pretended to consider the trees for some time, though in truth he paused to hide his embarrassment. Would I be such a fool for merely a pretty face? Gods between me and the fool I could so easily be... he thought, smiling to himself. Well, I'll demonstrate to her that Nebhotep is made of more durable stuff! No more thoughtless favors merely because of her beauty...

Nebhotep shouldered her back alongside his own and collected his hook, ignorant of the irony. Finally looking back at his two companions, he spoke. "Tell me what you saw of this island, Nilufar Simin. Was there any water at all? We might follow any stream or pond to it's source, and you will have your bath at last..."
Nilufar Simin

Post by Nilufar Simin »

Nilufar leaned into Nebhotep slightly with unconscious, automatic coquetry as he helped her to her feet, and gave him a demurely grateful smile. THe fact that he turned away from her suddenly, however, did not escape her, and her lower lip took on a petulant cast. He was ignoring her! She did not like to be ignored, not by men, not of any species! Well, she would just have to do what she could to convince him that she was worthy of attention.

"There was some water," she allowed in her husky voice. "A horrid little puddle that I would sooner have spat into than drank out of -- not that I spit, of course," she added quickly. "And a stream... but it is far away..." she briefly described how to get there. "...and I do not know if I shall have the strength..." she trailed off. "But I shall... do my best..." She blinked up at Nebotep, then set her chin firmly in the look of a fragile creature determined to be brave.
Nebhotep

Post by Nebhotep »

He had turned back to her to be at the very least civil...I'll be damned if I let her rob me of my manners!...and regretted it at once. The nearness of her, the sound of her voice, and the set of her beautifully shaped chin tugged at his heart yet again. His jaw clenched with such force that his muscles quivered with the effort, and his mind ran in circles. What harm can this do? Our paths are the same. I will take her to this pond and seek out this fresh water because I wish it...not her! he thought, completely convinced of this truth.

Nodding to himself, he considered how to begin. Perhaps I should lead the way? No, the dwarf might manage it as well, and he would move at a much more comfortable pace for the two of them...

All at once, Nebhotep realized that he was becoming erect. Turning from them yet again and very suddenly, he hid his traitorous body from their eyes and barked back over his shoulder. "I will lead us. Stay close behind, and call out to me if you must rest..." he said, as he moved into the thick foliage and began to blaze a trail into the interior of the island without another word.
Nilufar Simin

Post by Nilufar Simin »

As Nebhotep pondered, Nilufar looked at him with wide blue eyes, glad to see that she had regained his attention. But then, just as she was about to speak, he turned away abruptly and went charging off into the foliage! How intensely, unutterably rude! He must detest her or find her unattractive to behave like that. It was appalling. Swanmaidens were supposed to be legendary for their beauty and appeal, and Nilufar would be damned if she weren't going to be the most legendary of them all.

This time the set to her jaw was genuine and not feigned as she picked up her skirts huffily and set off after him, her mind racing as she considered ways to make him fully aware of -- and appreciative of -- what she thought were a multitude of charms.
Orric

Post by Orric »

Hello! Down here! Remember me!? Orric was tempted to start screaming as the battle of the minds, or lack there of began again between Nebhotep and Nilufar. First he turns her back on her...annoying her, then he turns back and everything is okay, then he...BY THE HOLY FORGE! THERE'S A SNAKE IN HIS PANTS!

Orric took a quick step backwards, not watching where he was going he tripped over something and managed to end up on his rump, a hand in the air covering his eyes while Nebhotep ran off into the foilage. Orric was about to warn Nilufar but then she to followed off after the lumbering ox, maybe she had seen the snake and was going to help!

"What about me? Bah...forget it, I'll likely be better off by myself anyways." Orric crossed his arms and sat there for a moment, looking around. What was that screech? No..it was a howl..wait...a-

"Waaaaaait for meeeeeeee!" Orric yelled as he quickly got to his feet and stumbled off after the other two as quickly as he could.
Nebhotep

Post by Nebhotep »

At the dwarf's yell, Nebhotep paused and turned...his head alone, of course...until the little man had closed ranks with the white woman. The giant was strangely relieved to see Orric close in, for there was no telling what manner of danger might await them in the forested interior of the island...and there was a certain comfort in greater numbers, even if the dwarf had a common tendency to collapse from time to time. Perhaps he will amuse an enemy to death? thought Neb darkly, a broad smile coming to his lean face that he quickly hid by turning it to the front again.

Once they were together, Neb started again, shaking out his pantaloons with every other step until the curse of the lady's beauty left his body and returned it to his control once more.

Having no experience with forests, Nebhotep could only move forward at a crouch, his crook held out before him at an angle such that the worst of the foliage would part for him. As he set off to lead them into the wild, his heart soared high, for this seemed to be a great way to begin his adventures, and he dreamt of what he might find on this deserted patch of land. Perhaps pirates have used it in the past? Perhaps there is buried treasure to be found? I suppose fresh water is merely the beginning of our search... he thought, visions of an exciting future in his mind as he moved onward.
Orric

Post by Orric »

It took a moment or two, but Orric managed to catch up to the other two and so they continued their forage into the forest of this miserable island. While Nebhotep had to crouch, Orric was just the right size to actually enjoy their little stroll unimpeded which wasnt altogether a good thing as he had more time to think.

Bristling beards! With my luck this will be some old pirate hide out....what if they buried their treasure here and come back to claim it! Some grand adventure THIS is turning out to be...ah well, at least if there is any trouble we can let the bloody giant breath on them, its certain to be lethal.

Orric was in the rear and spent a good deal of time jumping at any sounds and becoming rather paranoid as he was constantly looking around and over his shoulder.

Ale...I need ale....

Post by Guest »

The walk was long and hard- and there were no good trails through the dense jungle. The vegetation seemed to take every oppurtunity to ensnare the trio, as if it too maliciously deigned to keep the water just beyond reach. A particular purple flower gave off a pollen, which- although it was soothing- served to intoxicate if one stood to long in its presence.

Unfortunately for the group, the flowers were rather prolific in the shade provided by the canopy of green leaves- and by the time they were close enough to the lake that they could smell the rotting plant matter from its shore, they were rather light headed- their footing unsteady as they moved. For some reason though, despite the tiny cuts produced by thorns which dotted their skin and clothing, they couldn't help but feel in an unbelievably good mood. Their worries (and lack of water) felt like mere frivolities when compared with their tide of massively good emotion.

The lake itself was a rather unpleasant sight- its surface largely covered in green splotches of algae and moss, rotting plant matter upon its edges. The turbidity of the lake was extremely high, and it looked as if it was in dire need of rainfall to flush it. It was however, fairly large- and it looked as if the water in the middle was cleaner than the thick mass that rested along the edges.

The ground around the lake was slanted- for this spot marked the beginning of the highlands that rested at the center of the island. First, the sloped ground turned to forested hills, and then- at the very center, turned at last to three shallow peaks, like giant shields resting upon the center of the isle, looming high and strong and with a strong sense of forbiddance to them.
Nebhotep

Post by Nebhotep »

What manner of curse is all this vegetation?!? thought Nebhotep, his mind unable to grasp such density. For him, such a landscape was unthinkable. I have heard of lands so fertile, but how are we to move about it this? he thought, as he pushed his way through the undergrowth with brutish force. His pantaloons were already torn many times over, and his bare chest and arms were crossed with the red welts of numerous scrapes.

Before too much longer, though, even this no longer mattered to him. Inhaling deeply, the giant didn't understand his euphoria or vigor, but he certainly didn't find it unwelcome either. In the next few moments...or perhaps several marks: he had some difficulty gauging time just now...they reached the lake. His vigor and euphoria had grown into a new sensation, one in which his head felt as if it had been filled with air, and he might float away upon the currents of the winds like a leaf or a cloud.

"Hahaha! I don't know if it's fresh, but certainly it is not saltwater!" quipped Nebhotep as he grinned down at his companions. His eyes had some difficulty remaining focused upon anything at all...save perhaps for Nilufar's breasts...and his balance seemed rather off, as if he were always just ready to fall. "A thousand blessings for this gift! Will this not work?"

Return to “On the Water Archive”