Itching For a Cure - Zaure and Elaine ~ Samheen 14

Moderator: Mods

Itching For a Cure - Zaure and Elaine ~ Samheen 14

Post by Guest »

When looking at the University of Magics, one cannot help but wonder if the wizards *have* found a way to turn lead into gold. Seventeen spires, coming up from a large dome, streak into the sky, each ending on a golden globe. The structure's walls are made up of smooth black stone, with green, red and golden veins running through it. The entrance, a grand arch, carries the Seventeen Signs, each a show of elaborate craftwork. A large square lies before this grand University, and students of the occult sit here to talk, eat lunch, and play games with each other; more than one game of chess is currently in progress.

The University of Magics has a great reputation to uphold. For ages unknown this institution has trained students as well as providing scholarly wizards with a hiding place. Recently the University of Magics has taken a more active role in the running of the Empire, with a special battle magic department devoted to the defense of the Seven Isles.

Yet, with all this splendor, it seems like the University isn't as busy as it once was meant to be.

Once through the grand gate, visitors often stare at the hall in mute wonder. This place is nothing short of impressive, large and aesthetically pleasing. Ahead, stairs lead to the base levels of each of the seventeen spires, and the rest of this place is like a museum. Paintings, sculptures and such make up the more artful of memoirs, but all sorts of items reminding the wizards of their pasts have been put on display here. More toward the back, space has been reserved for those who wish to study.

Off to one side is a medium sized reception desk with a small counter. A thin man with gray hair sits behind it.

As Zaure and Elaine entered, he smiled at them, generous and inviting. "How can I help you two?" He asked, his voice creaking as if it were a door whose hinges needed oiling.

((OOC: Zaure, I must advise you not to try and expend your magics any further, until you have rested and replenished your vital energies... you are in the process of depleting Zaure's life force as long as you do not. :)))
Last edited by Guest on Wed Jan 28, 2004 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zaure

Post by Zaure »

Zaure kept his hand on Elaine's arm, so as to lead her without bumping into anything, although he had to fight back a yawn and the urge to fall asleep where he stood. His stubbornness kept him from admitting how tired he was most of the time, because it would mean Elaine had been right. Still, this being the first time that Zaure had even been in the University, he stared all around him, wondering at how such things could be made, 'This could all be done with magic?' "It's amazing in here, Elaine." He spoke in a soft whisper to her.

He slowly moved his head towards the man at the desk and blinked, as though his words hadn't registered yet, "Oh.. uh, we, er, I am having problems with one of my aetheric senses. I think?"

(OOC: Yes, silly self-abusive elflet... :P )
Elaine
Royal Poet

Post by Elaine »

Elaine almost shook her head when she felt Zaure's tiredness radiate through every move he made. Yet she had already told him what a good plan might be and she was in no position to force him into anything. If he'd keel over sleeping, all the better. The blind woman thought. Atleast I could get people to haul him off to a bed since I can't get him to do it himself! Oh well...

Her feet found the steps leading to the university and she was grateful for the kind way in which Zaure lead her to the entrance. "I believe you." The girl said softly. The atmosphere was full although it lacked the sounds to back the feeling up. A strange combination for a place that should be bustling with activity given the strange rise in magics in the city.

"You can tell me all about it once we get you up to standards again." She squeezed Zaure's arm and smiled.

Post by Guest »

The man raised a bushy eyebrow at Zaure's answer. "Aetheric senses? Pardon my surprise, young elf, but that's not exactly a query that I typically receive." He chuckled, his voice rustling like fallen leaves upon the ground. "Most of the people I speak to couldn't even pronounce Aetheric, let alone have problems with their senses."

"What exactly seems to be the problem?" He asked, his eyes narrowing curiously. "I only ask so that I may determine where best to send you. Are the energies blurry, or distorted? Do you see among them glimpses of shadows and doom? Foreboding sensations perhaps? Whispers of a fear that has no name?" His voice was cheerful, but oddly quavering in a way not explainable by his old age, as if his question was one of desperation and not a simple matter of directing the elf's search.
Zaure

Post by Zaure »

Zaure blinked a few more times, uncomprehending, then he allowed a small yawn to escape, hoping Elaine wouldn't notice, "I, well, I was told that was what they were and that the aethric was what it was called. And it is a very silly and hard word to pronounce."

The elf let out a very tired laugh, "I think I've gotten more than glimpses, and it does have a name, I'd suppose... and a sense of forebodingness, but, no. I can't see or hear anything. It all just... vanished." Zaure shrugged slowly in a helpless manner, then stiffled another yawn with his hand, "But how is that possible? The aether doesn't just dissapear... does it?" His voice was confused and confounded, and he squeezed Elaine's arm to reassure himself, then turned to her and spoke softly, "Thanks for coming with me..."
Elaine
Royal Poet

Post by Elaine »

Right, that's it. Elaine thought when again it became extemely clear how tired her friend really was. "Pardon me for saying so, Zaure, sir," she addressed both men, "I have no experience with magics, but I do agree with my friend: it would be silly if something like that simply disappears. My first guess was that it might be exhaustion. Is that possible at all?"

Forgive me, Zaure. She thought and held her breath. The Elf might not be ready to face his mortality, Elaine certainly was and she saw no point in proving he was mortal!

Post by Guest »

The man nodded sagely. "Exhaustion is a common problem among untrained mages. They fail to understand that their energy, their power, is based upon their own life force. A few nearly expend it all- and a few die as a result of fascination with the things they can do." He seemed fairly confident that this was the case.

"I ask that you forgive all my questions- it is just that, there have been things... wrong... with the Aether of late. Strange sensations and warping colors. In a way, it may be for the best if the untrained mages are deprived of their senses of late." He sighed, ever so slightly.

"I am intrigued about your... glimpses- and your mention of a name. There is much to be learned from this, to be sure," he began, "but I do think that it would be best if you stayed away from this shadow if at all possible. It is important that you do this, young one. Very important." His tone was serious, and his eyes were fearful. "Especially as weak as you are. Who knows what the consequences of your actions could be?"
Zaure

Post by Zaure »

Zaure turned to Elaine, "I might be tired, and I might be sleepy, but I felt something break! Listen, resting might help me get my energy back, but what good is that if I can't see or hear the energy anyway?" The elf shook his head in frustration, "I wasn't doing magic, only using my empathy, so why is all of it missing? I'm hardly fascinated, I just want to be able to perform and to see what is happening in this city."

The elf laughed again, "Yes, it certainly is a good thing for them to be defenseless, when all that was looked for was an ability to sense the aether. Yes, and dischord within the city as well. Two distinct melodies, about to clash...or they were. I don't know now!" He ran a hand through his hair in frustration, "Not that I get much choice in whether I stay away or not! If only people would learn from it, and set aside the bickering and plotting..." Zaure shrugged, "I might die, I'd suppose. Not really that bad a consequence, the Citadel would go on, and that's what matters. Is there anything to help a person sleep?"
Elaine
Royal Poet

Post by Elaine »

Zaure's words hurt. She wanted to help him see all the possibilities, but the Elf was so focused on the worst possible that Elaine did not stand a chance. And indeed I have no knowledge there, so why would I be right? She started to doubt herself. Perhaps she was not doing her friend a favour at all. Perhaps she was even making things more difficult because of her insistance that he'd sleep.

Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps. Now stop thinking so loud and just wait til the right person with the right knowledge helps Zaure! Elaine chided herself. This was no time for selfpity, for it would do nothing to improve on the situation. Instead she took in all the information he spouted for future reference and kept quiet. No doubt the man here would know where to send Zaure or what to do.

Post by Guest »

The man looked intently at the elf, and there was an odd prickling sensation down his spine. "In your state, you should have no difficulty sleeping. Indeed, you may find that you will sleep far longer than you normally would. There's a tiny spark in there- what appears to be a remnant of a once great blaze- you must rekindle it." He nodded once more, definitively. "Your mind cannot see the colors because you have stretched them thin- and your energy has waned concordantly."

"Two melodies... and a clash, you say? Within the city" The man sounded intrigued, he stared into space and began to trail off. "Dissonance... yes, it would explain Gylian's experience... but what might it mean?" He paused in his rumination to look up at the pair once more.

"You need rest, young one. But rest assured- you have intrigued me very much, with your story of melodies and dissonance, and of shadows with names." He smiled benevolently at the elf, and then looked to his companion.

"You, woman- make sure your friend rests himself as much as possible. It is imperative that he does not try and touch weavings or energies for a very long time. The consequences might... be... unpleasant." He emphasized the last, and looked intently at the woman's eyes, as if trying to catch her attention, before he blushed and looked away from them.
Zaure

Post by Zaure »

Zaure yawned, then gave him a tired grin, "Should being the key word. I don't know why I'm not sleeping, I must simply be too worried. I... I cannot sleep for more than a tide or two, sir." He mimicked the method of address Elaine used on the man, "A great blaze? I doubt that. Stretched them thin? So... my eyes and ears on the aether are essentially broken right now?

He scratched the back of his head, "Well. Yes, haven't any mages here looked and seen it? Who is Gylian, and what was his experience?" Zaure cocked his head to the side in curiosity, "Intrigued you? Why? Just get some people to look at the city and note down what they hear." The elf shook his head, "How long is a long time? I must use my empathy at night, for performances..."
Elaine
Royal Poet

Post by Elaine »

Elaine gently tugged Zaure's sleeve. "A long time, he said, dear Zaure. That means you are essentially sick, not broken. When you are sick, you do not perform. When you are sick, you sleep." She translated the words for herself. "I am quite sure that Bill will understand that you cannot perform right now. Instead you should use that time to sleep!"

The Elf's words about not being able to sleep played over and over again in her head. "Sir, is there anything I can do to help him sleep? I guess I could sing a lullabye, but that is just about the extent of my sleep-expertise."

With the way he is eating himself up over everything that is happening, I'm surprised he has not broken down completely yet! Elaine thought. The city was important to him and she appreciated it greatly. But she simply did not agree with the selfsacrificing way he talked about himself.

"Might it not be an idea to rest first before going into this important discussion?" She inquired carefully.

Post by Guest »

"Never mind the questions, young one. This is not the time- rest is what you need, not answers to questions. You have bent but not broken, and you can be repaired. With sleep, and time. Certainly more than a couple of tides- and certainly no performances for a great while." He smiled gently at Zaure.

At Elaine's suggestion of lullaby, he nodded. "The sleep cannot be produced by magical means, or by potions. The sleep should be a natural one, else I could give you a draught to assist you."

"You should go home now, child. Sleep. If your companion can assist you with her voice, that would be most helpful- but it is imperative that you do not allow yourself to remain awake."
Zaure

Post by Zaure »

"So you think I am magically sick, Elaine? No, one sleeps if one has time. Other than that, they go on as they normally do. You don't think every sick person stops and sleeps?" Zaure yawned loudly again, "It just isn't feasible!"

Zaure shook his head, "But, I need the answers! And, I can't sleep for more than a couple of tides, I wouldn't be allowed..." He sighed, "And I need to perform, to get money..." His voice took on a pleading tone, "Why can it not be an induced sleep? I don't have a choice, I have to be awake during the day..." 'Home. Easier said than done.' He looked from him to Elaine, "I cannot sleep for more than 2 tides, and they must be Eveningtide and Gravetide. I would not be allowed..." He repeated himself from earlier.
Elaine
Royal Poet

Post by Elaine »

Elaine nodded at the man that had helped them. "I understand and I will help wherever I can. Zaure, two tides is better than nothing. Besides, you'll make a lot more money when you sing feeling better than when you sing and break down.So all in all, sleep will earn you more money in the end."

She decided to completely ignore the stubborn streak Zaure still tried to uphold. It would kill him for sure and that was something she did not feel like happening. "Come on, let's go back to the house. Or to the inn? There I can get someone to wake you in time. I will stay with you if you want."

"Thank you again for your advice, sir." She smiled and pulled Zaure's arm half in jest. "Time to go! We will come back here another day."

Post by Guest »

The old man nodded toward the pair. "Yes- sleep, as much as you can. Certainly two tides a day should be sufficient, if you stay away from performing for a very long time. Sneak in naps whenever you can, eat and drink heartily." He smiled gently. "Be alive, young one. I don't think anyone wants you to die."
Zaure

Post by Zaure »

Zaure sighed, "But if I'm asleep I won't make any money at all, Elaine! And I can't go without singing, I can't, not anymore than you could go without your song!" The elf shook his head in frustration, but allowed himself to be lead away by Elaine, "I'd rather sleep at the inn, Elaine, but you have to promise to wake me. You don't have to stay with me, you should get your stuff and... er, well, actually, you don't know the way to my house, do you? Never mind..."

He looked back at the man, "Thank you for helping me. Naps aren't very likely, but I'll try. You don't know me, so you don't know if that's true or not. Still, thank you," Zaure smiled back at him, then turned to Elaine, "Should we go?"
Elaine
Royal Poet

Post by Elaine »

"Yes we go and I would certainly go without my song without protest if I knew the only way to get it back was to sleep!" Elaine chided Zaure while she walked back to the inn with him. "Every bit you can grab will help, the man said. So let us follow the advice that we came out to find. I promise you I will have you awakened and I will stay around to make sure you sleep in the first place."

Once back in the inn Elaine walked up to the counter. "Pardon me, sir," she tried to get the attention of the innkeeper. "would you be so kind to have someone knock on my door once gravetide has almost passed? Do make sure I answer before you have this person leave, please. It is important to be awake in time."

---continuing back in the BD---
Last edited by Elaine on Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “University of Magicks Archive”