The Gilded Gates (Entrance Thread)

Moderator: Mods

Post by Guest »

Bleak.

Definitely bleak.

The Gilded Gates, once limited to brightly painted carriages and purebred mounts, now gave way to a lengthy line of refugees looking for the basic kinds of shelter and aid common to the summarily displaced. The arguments in line, the entreaties to the guards, even the sounds of livestock obscured avery entrant's efforts to be heard over the others.

The guards were oddly matched, one tall and rake-thin, the other short and obviously enjoyed the skills of a good cook. The thin one looked at the new enquirer. This was not the first time someone tried to take a preferred place in line.

"I fully understand, sir, but the town regulators fully expect me to treat with everyone alike. Two tides back, a baron appeared in rags, sir, and his treatment had us all docked more circlets than we poorer folk can afford."

But seeing the assertiveness in the newcomer, he continued.

"But if your case is really urgent, sir, I can refer you to my corporal, who may do as he pleases."

OOC: Welcome to Tazlure.
Brentwood Julius Lorrado

Post by Brentwood Julius Lorrado »

Desparation falling deep into his emotional core, Brentwood looked back at the unbelievable line. He'd thought they were . . . well, he assumed they were waiting to get in, but treating everyone equally, that was nearly abominable.

If only he had enough for a bribe. Thinking back on his collection of banner, he knew he didn't.

"Well, you should indeed treat everyone equally. I would expect nothing else," Brentwood said with distaste in his mouth, although he tried very hard not to show it.

"My business is, well . . . from the Regent of King's Court", Brentwood lied, "it is very urgent I meet with various nobles right away. There is a very serious problem that could affect the entire kingdom. Of course, I am not at liberty to tell you this problem, it is a bit ... eh, confidential it seems."

Brentwood kept his gaze as steady as possible, careful not to glance to the right or left indicating his completely false story.

Post by Guest »

The trooper raised a sceptical eyebrow...but he did not dare call the visitor an outright liar.

"Your indulgence for a moment sir. Corporal of the guard!!!"

The shout brought a rather dishevelled soldier with an unruly shock of brown hair that was quickly covered by a helmet. His rake thin subordinate whispered in his ear for a few urgent moments.

There was about half a burn of unsteady silence, after which the corporal broke out in unseemly, raucous laughter. He doubled up spasmodically for another half a burn, then caught hold of himself. He stepped forward.

"So, you come to establish a business, then come to deliver urgent messages from the regent without a token to verify you...and all in the same visit." He laughed again.

"Come forward, sir. If you can establish that you do not come a pauper to our community, I will pass you now just out of gratitude for the entertainment."
Gaelena

Post by Gaelena »

As the sight of the city walls came into view, Gaelena let a smile slip on to her lips. She had been traveling for some time and was glad that her journey was nearly at an end. The city was supposed to be teeming with people and people would need healers and healers would need apprentices to help with all the sick and injured. She had found where she needed to be.

She had donned one of her better gowns, one with embroidered ivy in a rich forest green. Her hair she had tried to tame yet several strands had escaped and currently were curly around her face. The last thing the flame haired maiden had wanted was to appear the pauper arriving in the city. She would not know how a pauper would act.

But those times were behind her. She was no longer the strange, pale beautiful daughter of the Denaro clan. She was simply Gaelena, wanna-be healer. She shook her head slightly, to clear the thoughts. The movement loosened several more strands of hair which did as their kin and becane to curl enticingly down her neck.

Reaching the gate, Gaelena waited patiently for the guards to finish with those before her before approaching.

Post by Guest »

The tall, thin guard and the corporal were still dealing with a well-dressed man at one side of the gate. The stout guard called a third trooper to handle the line of refugees champing at the bit to be admitted to Roque.

The stout guard made his way toward Gaelena. He had dark, squinty eyes under the perfectly polished helmet. You could almost read the man's mind: The One be praised, a pretty one for a change.

He approached the young woman and spoke:

"Good tide to you, my lady. Welcome to Roque d'Ancort. How may we be of service to you?"

OOC: Welcome to Tazlure!
Last edited by Guest on Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brentwood Julius Lorrado

The insolence! The arrogance! The . . . the ... audacity! Brentwood stood aghast. Mouth frozen in complete paralysis at having been called a pauper, he was unable to retort in any capacity.

At last collecting himself, straightening his attire, then his mustache, he approached the corporal with as much dignity as he could muster.

"My good sir," he barked, "you are speaking to the heir of the Lorrado Textile Ranch of the Jante in King's Court. My father was treated as nobility in the court and my mother a prestigious member of one the most powerful merchant houses in World's Mouth. You are speaking to Brentwood Julius Lorrado of the Jante, sir!

"If I didn't think for a moment you were only merely doing your job I would buy whatever pitiful amounts of land you own and turn it into a carriage house for my second cousin's stable boy.

"Sir, shall I assume your laughter and insolent tone were intended as such or shall I accept your apology? Speak now, sir, for my time is worth more than your whole bloody career!"

Quite pleased with himself he allowed his smug expression to be hardened a bit by a seemingly lost temper. Deep inside, he hoped his performance was a sufficient act of intimidation.
Gaelena

Post by Gaelena »

Not for the first time, Gaelena sent a silent thanks up to the Mother for blessing her with a fair face and form. The guard who approached her seemed less harsh that the two questioning the arrogant man before her.

Flashing a shy smile at him, she said, her voice soft and gentle, "My name is Gaelena and I come seeking work as a Healer's apprentice." Her clothes showed that she was no pauper, but she only had a few coins left to her name. Hopefully someone would want a pretty helper and fast.

Post by Guest »

Gaelena

The guard stood visibly at attention at the young lady's words.

"Dominicus be praised! We need healers in the city in the worst possible way. Tell me, my lady, are you a good daughter of the Church?"

Brentwood

The corporal stopped laughing at Brentwood's words. His eyes narrowed in suspicion. What the man said might be true, but the experienced guard had his doubts.

"Very well sir. You are passed into the city. But I have your name on file, and it will be transmitted to the capital in a few days time. If the Palace has not heard of you, you will be arrested and expelled from Roque, with you possessions forfeit to the City. Either of the main inns in the town are available for lodging."

He handed Brentwood an entry document.
Last edited by Guest on Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gaelena

Post by Gaelena »

The guard's response to her chosen field brought a smile to her face. Gaelena had been correct in her assumption that healers were needed in such a crowded city. The spread of illness in such close quarters...

Then, he changed to the subject of religion. "I was raised in the ways of the Mother, though am familiar with the teaching of the Church." With her father having so many different people through their home, how was she not to come into contact with a different religion. She only hoped this would not reflect poorly on her.

Post by Guest »

Gaelena

The guard's face fell visibly. A flash of indecision crossed his face, then he gave a furtive look to the corporal.

"Keep it to yourself, my lady. This is Roque d'Ancort, not the Seven Isles. Here is your entry pass...make your way to the garrison house. They can refer you to a master healer. May the One be with all of us!"
Last edited by Guest on Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gaelena

Post by Gaelena »

At the receipt of the pass (and the advice), Gaelena flashed the guard a bright smile. "Thank you. For everything." Her eyes spoke volumes of gratitude.

She had not thought about her religious upbringing playing so strong a part in her new life, but it seemed she must remember the teachings she had learned of this other path and pretend to follow it while staying true to her roots.

Then, with a final smile at the guard (and his surrounding guardsmen), she moved swiftly and with grace through the gates.
Brentwood Julius Lorrado

Brentwood huffed. Shook his head. Huffed. Began to speak. Decided not to. And then indignitly grabbed the pass.

"You sir, shall be brought up on many occasions during my stay in this Dominicus-forsaken city. What is your name and commanding officer?"

Post by Guest »

Brentwood

The corporal looked at his tall, thin subordinate.

"Trooper Mutt, show this man through. If he delays another burn, arrest him on suspicion of espionage."

The corporal turned and went back to his shed.

Mutt looked to the gentleman.

"Best to move on, sir. Good tide to you."
Ritchat

Post by Ritchat »

Finally close to the gate to the city, Ritchat paused to take stock. What did he want to do here, in this crowded city? Live here? Probably not. This was most emphatically not the kind of place Ritchat wanted to stay for very long, just a night or two at most, if any inns would even take a rather unrespectable-looking elf.

The line moved. Ritchat stepped forward. He took a weathered little book from his pocket. It was a handy little thing that he had stolen from someone (exactly who it was escaped him, it had been months ago). It was a collection of human words and phrases, translated and spelled phonetically in the language of the Adhiel. Ritchat flipped through to a page entitled When Seeking Lodging, and repeated to himself the phrase "Where can I find an inn?". He already knew how to say a few other things: his name, for example, and where he was from.

Where he was from . . .

The line moved again, depositing Ritchat in the front of the desk marked "Information". In Elvish, no less! Perhaps those here spoke the language.

[I wish to enter your fair city,] he said in his native tongue, [Where might I find rest for the night?]. "Or," he added in the human language, "do you not speak Elvish?"
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

Samheen 18th, tradetide

There was the distinct feeling of someone looking over his shoulder as Ritchat took the book out. A tall, greying man with two donkeys tried to be inobtrusive about his curiosity, but it was obvious his interest was in the pages that the man in front of him was flipping.

"Eeehaaw!" One of the grey-furred animals complained when the man pulled the rope too hard, getting his attention back to where it belonged.

"Next!" A voice spoke in common as the line moved on, placing Ritchat in front of the desk. Once he spoke in his native tongue, the grey man behind him whistled and mumbled in common: "See...I knew it...Adhiel. Look, furry-face, that's an Adhiel. You'll see more of em." He patted the lighter of the two donkeys.

The guard looked at Ritchat, nodding and answering in fairly decent Adhiel: "You're welcome in Roque, traveller. Name and reason for staying, please."
[size=75]Gavin:She's the emerald eyed agent of chaos
Vanir:She's cute, it's her personality that gets in the way
Ulder:Syra is a great shredder of paralysis through analysis
Elvin:We call it the Law of Improbable Syrabilities
Ritchat

Post by Ritchat »

Ritchat started at the word Adhiel, glancing around as he tucked his book in a pocket. He saw the man with the donkeys behind him, and eyed him for a moment before turning to the guard.

"Yes," he said in Common before switching to his native language, [I am Ritchat, a . . . street performer. I wish to stay here for a few nights, perhaps more if I enjoy in here.] Not wanting to waste his memorized phrases, Ritchat added in Common, "Where could I find a good inn in this city?"

He looked again at the man behind him. He didn't look very threatening, merely a bit loony. Still, what were those remarks about Adhiel? More Adhiel? And he was talking to his donkey. Ritchat forced his attention back to the guard.
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

"Streetperformer, eh?" The man continued, his common accent clearly audible through his Adhiel. "You're in for a rough time. Not much money on the streets these days, but..."

Before the man could continue to explain, all Netherworld broke loose behind Ritchat as the other donkey clearly had enough of the wait. The animal threw up his hind legs, kicking back the cue forming behind him and suddenly ran forward, pulling the owner and the other donkey with it, threatening to overrun both Ritchat and the desk.

"Help!" The man squealed, taken completely by surprise as his hand got caught in the rope. People jumped out of the way, nobody really feeling like getting kicked themselves.
Ritchat

Post by Ritchat »

Ritchat stood his ground as the crowd backed up, quickly stooping down to pull a small knife out of his boot. He didn't really know how to use it, but it was better that nothing in a pinch. And this was a bit of a pinch.

Grasping the knife as though he was going to stab someone, Ritchat deftly sidestepped, aiming to bring the knife down on the rope connecting the man and his rebellious beast. His swing was a bit reckless, and he jumped back, trying to keep a hold on his knife.
Last edited by Ritchat on Sat Dec 18, 2004 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

Through the man's frightened scream the donkey sounded almost triumphant as it stormed the desk and everybody in front of it. The guard already jumped for cover and yelled for Ritchat to do the same.

Instead the crowd watched as the newcomer sidestepped and in the same move tried to disconnect the man from his stubborn animal. The knife went through almost completely, leaving the weight of the grey man to do the rest. Indeed with a *snap* the rope was severed, propelling the donkey forward into the desk because of the sudden lack of weight.

The ensuing ravage was comical in a way as both donkeys tried to trample their way out of the wooden remains of the desk while the guards came out of hiding and grabbed the pieces of rope to subdue the four-legged critters.

People cheered, some applauded. The tall man was still panting on the ground, holding his wrist with a pained expression."Th...th...thank you..." He stammered, scrambling up.

One of the guards laughed and slapped Ritchat on the back. "Nice piece of action, son." He said in swift common, then shook his head and continued in Adhiel: "If you can't make it as a streetperformer, I'd check out the theater. They can use agile people like you. I'll sign you in...err...right...where did my book go?"

It took a few burns before the book was found between the rubble, but after that it was smooth sailing. The guard provided directions to the Dog's home Inn and went on to the next arrival as if his desk had not been just reduced to firewood.
Ritchat

Post by Ritchat »

"Many thanks, sir," said Ritchat. [I may heed your advice.]

He took the opportunity to vanish into the crowd of the city, returning his knife to his boot. The man's comment about Adhiel had unnerved him. He didn't want the slightly mad human following him. A few turns down side streets ensured that he would not be followed.

And so what if he were? He had committed no crimes in this city. No. Thoughts came to him: he was a stowaway, a renegade. His money was stolen, much of it, as was his little book. His pack, most of his possessions- everything he had, really.

But this city was a fresh start. Live a new life, an interesting one, and an honest one. Starting at the Dog's Home Inn. Right here.

Return to “Roque d'Ancourt Archive”