The Gilded Gates (Entrance Thread)

Moderator: Mods

Terrynar

Post by Terrynar »

Terrynar remains seated in the saddle, top half turned toward the human. He gets an annoyed look on his face and says in an annoyed voice "Why can you not answer my question and let me through?" His left hand still resting on the pommel, the right rubbing the base of the horses neck.
spoonie

Post by spoonie »

A second guard moved forward at Terrynar’s obvious disinclination to do as his partner had asked of the rider. This man in his shiny armour, however, appeared more at the ready to draw his weapon. Still, neither guardsman revealed their steel as of yet, giving the horsed youth another chance to do as they bid. “Dismount, sir, you will not be admitted into the city without first giving your information.”

They were quite serious about having the haughty young man climb down from the saddle, after all, it would only be courteous for him to do so. Yet, the men would not wait forever, and in such trying times, it might be easier to push them over the brink of politeness into action.

The second guardsman’s eyes flickered from Terrynar’s eyes to where his had rested against the pommel of his blade. The Half Elf would be unwise to draw the sword, the guard decided, the boy was quite outnumbered and the crowd would prevent him from easily manoeuvring the steed.
Terrynar

Post by Terrynar »

Terrynar dismounts and holds Aidas reins in his right hand, his left never moved. Damned humans... I'd better not have to let them hold my weapons while I'm in the city, and they'd better give me the information I asked for. In an annoyed and tired tone Terrynar says "What do you need to know? I can hear the stables calling my horse and a meal calling for me, so can we hurry this along?" Terrynar pats Aidas head with his left hand.
Last edited by Terrynar on Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

The first of the two guards stared hard at Terrynar. It was plain to see he was fuming. He turned and looked at his counterpart, who sardonically added, "I hate gate duty." He made no attempt to lower his voice.

The first guard exhaled loudly, taking a couple steps toward the half elf. "You will tell me your name, your occupation, and whatever business it is that brings you to the city, or you will have to go calling on a stable and a meal somewhere else," he said in a low voice, counting off the things he required of Terrynar with the fingers on his right hand.
Terrynar

Post by Terrynar »

Terrynar steps closer to the desk, pulling the reins of Aida with him. In a proud, and still annoyed tone Terrynar says "My name is Terrynar, I have no current job, I plan to get a room at an inn here, then look for a job. Is that satisfactory?" Terrynar turns to mount Aida, not even waiting the humans reply.

Post by Guest »

"That will do for now," the guard nearly growled. "But rest assured, if you so much as steal a kiss while you're here, I'll meter out punishment personally."

He turned and took his original position at the desk, no longer even looking at Terrynar. "I swear," he said to his counterpart, making sure he was clearly audible. "Whenever I start to think elves aren't such bad folk, one comes along and thoroughly corrects me."

(OOC: Ok, you're free to enter the city! I hope it's nothing you expect it to be. :wink: )
Terrynar

Post by Terrynar »

Terrynar snickers a bit to himself as he mounts Aida. Shaking off the thought of him stealing, he looks down to the guard and says "Well? What about that information I had asked for? Did you forget, human?" Terrynar smirks down at the guard, really trying to drive the word human into the ground. Terrynar takes the reins with both hands and prepares to ride into the city.

Post by Guest »

The guard looked up at Terrynar, unbelieving. "I'm not your bloody tour guide!" he snapped. "Leave your horse at a tanner's and bed down in an alley, for all I care!"

His comrade gave him a worried, sidelong glance, beginning to be embarrassed by his partner's failing temper. It had been a long day, true, but the crowd of people looking for cheap entertainment grew with each outburst.

"The Goose and Gander and the Dog's Home are on the north side," the second guard answered, hoping to diffuse the situation that it might blow over more quickly. "There's also the Feathered Dragon. But if you're looking to keep as much of your coin as you can, the Freely Poured in the common section is the place to go. Most of the inns can provide you with temporary stabling, I think."

"So go on," the first guard added, "Before I change my mind."
Last edited by Guest on Wed Jun 16, 2004 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Terrynar

Post by Terrynar »

Terrynar gives the second guard a slight bow from the saddle, he ignores the first guard and decideds to enter the city instead of hang around making more inults at the poor human. Besides he can't help it, though it is fun to make them turn red.
Terrynar heads to the Freely Poured inn, he could stand the stench of the commoners to save a couple banner. He gives Aida a little kick to get her moving.
Last edited by Terrynar on Wed Jun 16, 2004 6:48 am, edited 3 times in total.
Madeline

The arrival of Madeline duQuaid

Post by Madeline »

She tilted her head as she admired the ornate gates of the city she hoped would become her home, a whisper of a smile upon her face. With quaint obliviousness to the presence of anyone else around her, the ambitious girl imagined such spectacular workmanship had been crafted for this very moment – her arrival.

The journey had seemed awfully long to Madeline duQuaid, who had never left Kings Court before, let alone traveled without her parents. With every candlemark that passed her expectations had mounted, each burn hopes became more specific -- and wick by wick her fear of failure grew. A dozen times she had considered turning about, to return home to mother and father and settle for a life of mediocrity, but no. She was headed towards magnificent things, she was certain she was!

The presence of the five brightly armored guards at the gates distracted her from her line in the queue as it wound near them. Madeline fancied they would make very fine mirrors, and added yet another item to her growing list of goals – to have her very own gleaming guard one day, that she might circumspectly admire her visage whenever she wanted!

A few steps closer, she approached the nearest gate guard.

“Magnificent!” she cooed quite delighted with what reflection she could see in the shiny metal; eyes flitting up to the silent guards face she continued as though speaking of him all along, “You are surely magnificent! Please please, do tell me your name, I simply must know!” she entreated in an admiring tone.

Post by Guest »

The guard looked at Madeline, a smile almost broke on his face at her enthusiasm before he managed to control himself.

"My Name?, My name is not important young lady, what is important is who you are and why you are here. Go to the desk, in there".

The guard pointed to the overhang with the desk underneath and the two men sat at it, then resumed his guard, watching the road.
Madeline

Post by Madeline »

A whisper of a pout formed on rose bud lips as she turned to see where he directed her - rather unused to being dismissed so promptly, Madeline couldn’t believe he really wanted her to leave at all.

‘He is merely keeping up appearances’ she thought to herself, casting a circumspect glance towards the other four guards, ‘or perhaps he doesn’t want to make the other guards jealous – then I must make a fuss till he relents!.'

“Oh but please…” she urged plaintively, “I shan’t leave lest you tell me.”

Yet he did have a point, his own name was rather less important than her own and her reason for being at Rogue d'Ancourt. As much as this wee goal held her attention, she felt herself tugged towards going to the registering table.

Post by Guest »

The two guards at the table had been watching Madeline since she arrived, and one was getting annoyed at her procrastination at coming to the table to see them.

Suddenly a voice aimed at Madeline, came from beneath the overhang, "Hey, you there, stop bothering that guard and get over here. You want in this place, you come and see us".

A different voice then spoke up, "Don't worry about my friend here, he is always like that, never known him to like anyone yet. Though he is right,
Come over to the table my dear, and tell us why you are here".
Madeline

Post by Madeline »

Smartly turning with the reproval, Madeline blinked with distress at having aroused such gruff words. Oh dear, what a bad start! she thought, immediately moving away from the still silent guard.

She mustered a wee smile for the kindly spoken man, grateful that she hadn't completely blotted her copy book.

Trying to be her most helpful, she spoke hastily, "Oh sorry for having you wait, please excuse me a facination for men in uniform." her eyes lingered on the grumpy fellow, hoping that the flattery might soften his mood. "My name is Madeline duQuaid, from Kings court... and hope to visit the grand temple of The One that I might see with my own eyes it's magnificence. That is if I may enter your fair city?"

Ruse fell from her face as she realised it was entirely possible they might not let her enter the city, her expression was now most earnest in her application.

Post by Guest »

The guards, Grumpy and Nice (as we shall know them as) stared at Madeline for a few flickers then the grumpy one spoke. "you want to come in and just look at the temple"?, he turned to his fellow guard sitting with him, "you hear that"?
The nice guard just nodded, "Never had that request before, just want to look at the Temple", he shook his head, "Getting all sorts of requests now".

He looked up at Madeline, "Ok, lets say we do let you in, how are you keeping yourself, food accommodation, you have money I hope, or do you plan to get a job"?

The grumpy on chimed in then, "Yea, we don't like scroungers here, you pay your way, or you gets work".

They both then looked at her, waiting for a reply, the nice one with a smile, the grumpy one with a scowl.
Madeline

Post by Madeline »

She was a little surprised to think she was the first who had made this request... were they teasing her perhaps? She shifted a little uncomfortably, the confidant tilt of her chin dropping.

"But yes, that is my greatest wish sirs..." so perhaps that was a little lie, but The One had been ever so forgiving of her in the past...

Yet their questioning her on her means brought a blush to her cheeks. She'd never spoken of finances with strangers before - how terribly shocking! Yet it seemed the definitely expected a reply, and she didn't dare anger the grumpy one by refusing to answer, albeit such an intimate question.

"I have coin enough for my visit sirs... and my Papa has advised me of a suitable Inn where I hope to find accommodation. The Goose and Gander? You must have heard of it I am sure." the questioning lilt to her voice revealed she was feeling entirely uncertain right now to why she was here at all. She peeked towards the nice one, hoping that these last words of hers did not strike him as so strange as the first.

Post by Guest »

"Goose and Gander", the nice one repeated," Yes, thats a reasonable Inn, North side, along with the Dogs Home Inn. If ya want to keep your money, the Freely Poured Inn is probably safer, here...".

He wrote down directions to them all and was just handing it over when the grumpy one nudged him, "look, Ulinwen" he said.

Suddenly a small coach pulled up, driven by an extremely well dressed man.
He waved to the guards, "Hello there Lads, I see we have a new visitor".

"Yea", the grumpy one spoke, "Madeline DuQuaid, wants to go look at the Temple, staying at the Goose and Gander".

The grumpy one then looked at Madeline, "Go on, you can go now".

The Driver of the Coach spoke before she could move, "Hello my dear, it's a nice walk in Roque De Court thats for sure, and the Inns and Temple are not far, or difficult to find".

He paused for a moment, eyeing her up, "You could jump in the cab and I'll take you to an excellent party that will soon be starting, Good Food, important people, or you can walk . It's up to you, make your mind up quick though, I'm about to leave".

With that he sat straight up, reins poised ready to give the off.
Madeline

Post by Madeline »

A surprising turn of events.

Even as Madeline gratefully took the sheet of directions, a carriage pulled up. Her attention was drawn by the grumpy guards prompt, they seemed to be of a different tone than he’d used before, he seemed almost obliging! Who was this fine fellow, that spurred civility from a man who seemed previously was so lacking in that regard?!

She gave a curtsy as she was introduced. As the fellow looked her over, she blushed again with his indiscreet inspection of her… knowing he was sizing her up against some need of his own and fearing it was for the worst. At least he’d been informed of where she’d be staying, the Goose and Ganders respectability lifted her above the common vagrant whos’ services were so easily obtained.

And then an invitation! Welcome surprise touched her expression, “Oh but how could I say no! I should be delighted, and surely not surprised if I discover that you yourself are the most charming of all who might be gathering… milord?” she drew out the last word, hoping for some introduction of his part. Wouldn’t she be a fool to rush off with someone who’s name she did not know? Even if it was for a party – oh but she did so much love parties! And does not fortune favor the bold?!

She took a half step towards him, intending to do just as he said, casting a glance behind her to thank the guards (well mostly the kind one), then saw a problem.

“Yet a dreadful hitch, for I yet have my possessions…” she looked woefully at the chest, then up to the fine fellow hopeful that he might offer a solution. The notion that he could offer to take her luggage also was not one she thought ladilike to request herself... besides men did like to come up with these ideas themselves she had found.
Last edited by Madeline on Sat Aug 21, 2004 5:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post by Guest »

The coach driver smiled, "Ah the chest, Come on you two, don't leave a lady in distress, get that chest on the back".

The two guardsmen, after looking at each other, shrugged their shoulders and took the chest to the back of the carriage and strapped it on.

The Driver leaped down off the carriage, "Milord will do for now, Madeline DuQuaid". He opened the carriage door, "Now if you would like to take a seat, I will take you to the manor".

He pointed to the two guards, "Or shall I ask the guards to take the chest back off, and leave you to wonder how to get to the Temple with it".
Last edited by Guest on Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Madeline

Post by Madeline »

Impressed with how quickly he had settled her problem, and indeed how quickly the guards catered to his wishes. He must be terribly important, she surmised silently; which was reason enough in her mind for her own compliance!

To his prompt she quickly replied "Oh but I may visit the temple another day! I would far prefer to accompany you Milord. How could I enjoy the temples splendor were I wrestling with wonder of the things you have said, of where you might be going? ... indeed to learn your very name has now become my quest!”

And though her mind sung out a hundred cautious questions that could not be asked of a man who did not wish to even reveal his name, she alighted his carriage with a little fuss as a girl may when wreathed in such an assortmant of fabrics as she. "Such an adventure, perhaps Milord's name is Blessing or Providence?”
Last edited by Madeline on Tue Aug 24, 2004 5:12 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post by Guest »

The man smiled at Madeline, "Blessing or providence? we shall see".

With that he shut the door once Madeline was inside and started the carriage, giving a wave to the guards.

the trip through the town was uneventful, though as the carriage progressed through and up the hill it could be seen that the quality of the properties increased as did the land area each took up.

Upon reaching the top of the hill, the view over the town was magnificiant, as the carriage made it to the gates of the grounds of a large manor.

the driver waved to the guards as he went through and after going up the drive a few minutes later they stopped by the magnificiant landscaped gardens of the manor.

The driver got down and called over one of the footmen close by, "Here you, take the carriage and put the Lady Madeline DuQaid's chest into a guest room".

opening the door, he held out his arm, "Now my lady, let us have a walk in the garden, i would appreciate your company, and I hope you would appreciate mine".
Madeline

Post by Madeline »

Madeline peeked out of the carriage as they drew up to the Mansion... it was a far grander place than she had ever been before. Really, she could barely contain her delight! With some surprise she heard her lord order her things be taken to a room. He really was a whirlwind of organization - yet she couldn't think of any reason to complain!

Doing her best to appear nobly nonchalant, yet failing due to vibrant excitement in her eyes she stepped from the carriage and placed her hand upon his arm. "There is quite nothing I desire more milord..." her lashes fluttered appealingly as she awaiting his prompt of a subject.
Last edited by Madeline on Fri Aug 27, 2004 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laibach

Post by Laibach »

Clean.

That was the first impression that struck Laibach as he looked at the city of Roque d'Ancourt, his shrewd eyes picking out every caveat that was detectable from his distance -- not quite at the gates, approaching with careful slowness. Step step step, came the tread of his shoes upon the soft earth that surrounded the city. Step step step, as he moved closer and closer to what he hoped would be the locus of his destiny.

Uncertain of what weather the skies would hold -- rains had been looming on the horizon of World's Mouth for days ahead, he had not really prepared for much in terms of extreme climate, and so prayed that perhaps this noble summerhome would provide respite from the elements. Eyes took in the gilded gates, the smooth and perhaps eerily linear streets, the shininess of it all... the venier that surrounded all things within the city.

Clean.

It was a pervading thought, even as Laibach reached the gates, his sack over one shoulder, cloak tightly held against any chill that might exist in the autumn weather. He looked at the guard, and considered attempting a smile, but found his face to weary to waste time with what was ultimately a false gesture. Besides, there were those who claimed that Laibach looked most frightful when he smiled.

He didn't say anything -- didn't expect to have to. After all, they would surely let him into the city after only a few glancing questions. He must look haggard by now, after his trek on foot. Perhaps he even had a light growth of mustache and beard. Now wouldn't that be something? A chuckle passed through his lips, though nobody had said anything funny.

Now there was only the waiting in line for whatever other travellers might be waiting admission into Roque on this particular day.

Post by Guest »

The pristine quality extended to those overseeing the stream of people at the city gate. The guards' armor was polished to an almost reflective quality. It clinked as they fidgeted or shifted their weight, which they did often at this point in the day. Though they watched the line of people and muttered among themselves, they seemed to only watch out of habit. Their faces suggested that the visitors meant rather little to them so long as they passed muster.

Laibach didn't have long to wait, and was in front of the scribes in moments. The man held his pen ready at the next line on his ledger, not even looking up at the latest arrival.

"Name, occupation, reason for visit."
Last edited by Guest on Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brentwood Julius Lorrado

Post by Brentwood Julius Lorrado »

As the sun washed Brentwood Lorrado's face he took a moment to pause and reflect. The gates before him was his freedom. Unspoiled land. These people did not know his name, nor did they know his past. A playground, indeed. A place to regain lost composure. A place of renewed admiration and wealth. The prospect of nobility skirted through his mind while the lure of crown weighed heavily.

Toting his box, bag, purse and belongings, he decided to check himself before he approached the gate. Checking his reflection he combed his prematurely balding hair and opened oddly-shaped lips to check his teeth. A single speck of an unidentifiable jumped into vision, so he chipped it away from his tooth with a pinky finger.

Straightening his too-tight doublet over the abdominal results of no exercise and hearty foods, he gathered his things and proudly approached the gate.

An odd and somewhat condescending smile approached Brentwood's lips as he offered a short bow to the guards.

"Good day, my sirs. Good day, indeed. I am Brentwood Julius Lorrado of the Jante in King's Court. I am not on holiday. I wish to move my business here. Now, if you please, sign me in with haste. I have not opted to arrive in Roque d'Ancourt only to stand with the rabble waiting long into the night for entry. I have important business, as you must understand."

Return to “Roque d'Ancourt Archive”