Ye Ol'Dungeon: Left Group (closed to new players)

Moderator: Mods

Anarión Herunna

Post by Anarión Herunna »

They had already gathered water from the basin inside one of the small rooms, but now Anarión began to doubt the right water had been found. Among the papers on the old table, the elven Vanguard discovered a map of the caves. Unsure of the significance of these papers he reread them carefully. Indeed had water once been important to the priests. For maybe many years the people had lived in these tunnels, and without water they would have perished long before the evil came to haunt the caves.

Without the sun and water nothing lived, not plants, humans or animals. Anarión brought some of the papers and the diagram with him to show to his companions. Ami and the foolish Goldentree were both waiting just outside in the larger hall.

"Ami," Anarión hesitated a flicker before also he decided to call Goldentree over, "and Goldentree, come. I think I have found something of importance to us. The tall elf carefully seated himself on the dusty floor and spread the map and theold scripts in front of him.

Pointing at the cave with the pool, he spoke gently to his listeners, "I think we must go there. These papers speak mostly of water, and there is a fountain or pool there. I cannot tell. But I think we should visit at least the larger halls to see if they hide any other clues?!"
Last edited by Anarión Herunna on Mon May 31, 2004 1:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
felis catus

Post by felis catus »

Theodred felt sadness and compassion washing over him. Who was this strange woman, doomed to spend eternity petrified in her chamber. her jewels and gold held no appeal to the young paladin. However, he noticed the armband that was quite similar to the ones they found on other bodies. gently he removed it from the woman's arm.

"Forgive me, lady", he whispered. "But methink we're gonna need this in order to help you and your companions. may you rest in peace."

Quietly, he closed the door behind him, and brought the armband to Amica, presenting it with but a few words. "Another one. Woman. Mummified, almost petrified."
Amica
Civus

Post by Amica »

Accepting the band from Theodred, Ami held all three of the curious set stone bands together, inspecting them carefully. She gathered as well the pendent collected in the treasury and pendent shaped in the likeness of a cherub as well, gathering these and placing them on the floor before her. Those, plus the bundle of earth in her pack and the measure of water from the basin might mean that they were very close to having all they needed. We cannot know if we've collected all, but my intuition gives me confidence that we are following the path well enough. Soon we will come across our own tracks, and then we will know what we must.

Glancing up at Goldentree and Theodred, Ami opened her mouth to say as much when Anarión brought out the irrigation charts. Laying them before her, she listened to his description with great consideration. Have they harnessed the waters so carefully here? They have brought them in and used them to give life and comfort. What else came in with the waters? Did their attacker come from the depths? Did this grand design of theirs bring about their doom?

"This larger pool. They did not bath here, and they did not water their strange fields with it. It must have some greater purpose," she said. And it is...circular. Round. "The priest said Placed on Light's Altar, set in the round, worship words sang in a holy high sound. Perhaps this is where we might find the alter where we must complete our quest? If we might find this room, it would reveal much to us, though we do not yet have all the artifacts we need to complete our task," she finished, looking back to the trinkets they had collected.

"We will do as you say, and search for this room. It will lie towards the center, if this work is to be believed. Let us complete our search here first, for there are but few other doors to check, and we must complete our set of possessions for the six priests."
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

Softly Gavin returned. He waited for Ami to finish and then came to her.
"No need for alarm ahead. But, there is some light at the far end. And the air grows fresher with each new step. We may have found an exit."
FORTH they went, the troubled two
To see the world and kick ass too!
[b]Syrawenn and Gavin Saga, Verse 1-2[/b]
Anarión Herunna

Gavin had returned from his lone scouting ahead, and he brought comforting news. He had neither heard nor seen anything out of the ordinary, except a few lights. Anarión wondered whether the lights were the same snails they had encountered earlier, but the elven warrior had his doubts.

Until now, this place has only provided us with unpleasant surprises. And the snails were neither very unpleasant nor surprising. Something else lures in these halls and I don't think we shall meet the snails before we return to find the way out. If we ever come that far...

Since he had shown the maps to Ami and Goldentree, she had voiced her consensus with him. The room with the large, round pool might be the Altar of Light, but the companions had not yet found all the right elements. Until they had, the search for those were of more importance to the quest; therefor Ami was truely right when she wanted them to look through the remaining rooms.

Anarión quickly got back up on his feet again and left the papers for Ami. She had so far accepted the strange findings offered to her. Before anyone could object, Anarión walked across the room to the second door on the right side. Slowly he tried to force the door open with as much strenght as necessary.
Last edited by Anarión Herunna on Thu Jun 03, 2004 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
goldentree

Post by goldentree »

goldentree observed the map, the circulation of water might be another clue, and if not they sure needed a map, it could have been a long wondering if they didn't know where they were heading.

He could see that the hasty Anarion went to open another room, another life, and move his fingers all over it. Ami's words didn't help him to calm down, even if he knew he was doing the dead people here a favor it still felt so wrong, like violating a tomb.

Again he stayed rather behind, hoping to be in the middle of the corridor, not too close to each one of the rooms. They had found several personal items (he didn't count) and, if they were right, at least two elements, it seemed to him that they were in progress, and maybe soon they will be out from this horrified place.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

OOC: Anarion commented that a container of water had been secured. This is not entirely accurate. One of you mentioned getting water, but no one actually got any. Just so you won't think you have something that isn't there. I don't believe anyone has even picked up a cup or container to hold water yet. ;)

This door opened easily for Anarion, the now familiar scent of age drifting out into the corridor, though by now, the air was so polluted in the hall, the scent was hardly noticeable to those whose senses were less acute. Inside, like the other rooms this one had a bed, table and two chairs, washstand, large chest and here there was a small table beside the bed.

The walls had been painted in landscapes of fields and gardens. Sprawled in the floor lay another priest, this one in merely dressed in some sort of once white loincloth. The bed appeared as if the priest had been asleep when this happened and got up to investigage. A green robe was still clutched in hs hand. The table beside the bed held a small lamp, a gold chain and another armband, this one set with a clear green stone.
Last edited by Shaeliana on Mon Jun 07, 2004 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
[color=hotpink][i]The secret of success is sincerity. Once you can fake that you've got it made.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]
Anarión Herunna

OOC: Okay, Shae. Then we will have to collect water later, I guess.

IC: The door opened easily and the familiar smell of age hit the elven Vanguard hard in the face. This room was not unlike the others, a bed, a table, two chairs and so on. The walls were a myriad of colours, and made the room less frightening. Another dead priest lay peacefully on the floor, firmly gripping a green robe. The horrors of the caves had probably found him in his bed.

Anarión brushed a drop of sweat from his face. The heat did not touch him, but fear of the unknown had slowly settled in his veins. The rest of his group had settled in the middle of the center cave. They carefully watched the rooms and the doors and the hall. All of the companions had declared their willingness to search the temple in order to trap the monster inside, now they looked scared.

The Earendil stumbled into the room and hurried to the table. Anarión wanted not to stay any longer than necessary in the priest's tomb. On the table by the bed, the elven Vanguard found a small treasure and grabbed the armband and the gold chain carelessly.

Outside again, he walked to Ami and offered her the two items, "Ami, I found these. May the spirits of this ancient tomb forgive us. We are nothing more than mere thieves here," Anarión sighed heavily. He had not expected this, but knew he needed to search for any clues.

Then he proceeded to the next door and tried to force the wooden door open.
Last edited by Anarión Herunna on Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Amica
Civus

Post by Amica »

The band set with the green stone and the gold chain were laid out with the rest of what they had collected. The pendent from the treasury along with the angelic pendent of wood, and the three other bands with the large stones set within...bands that Ami believed held some power that the priests used. Four stones and three items personal to the priests. Unless we've made a mistake, we nearly have all we need, she thought, as she collected the items and dropped them into her bag once more.

Ami considered the map one last time before she rolled this up tightly and rose. And I still have the earth. Water can be recovered from the basin here. Fire can be made, with very little difficulty, and air lives around us. Perhaps we are not so far after all? she hoped, moving forward slightly to glance within the room Anarión had only just visited.

The sight of the corpse within was chilling to her. While Ami had seen many corpses...her homeland was anything but pleasant...this one told a very different story than any she cared to hear. He was asleep when the evil came. And he did not have time to dress himself before it struck him down. Did it enter his cell? Or did it bring him low from without? How did this man die? she pondered, moving within to examine the corpse more closely.

The other corpses could have died from starvation, trapped as they might have been, but this one indicated something different. Ami could not believe a person might choose to die in nothing but their small clothes. This priest would have been more fully dressed had he suffered a wasting death such as hunger or thirst, for he would have had more than enough time to dress himself properly. Instead, he was struck down with his clothes in his hands, as if the evil had robbed him of life from beyond his door.

With this thought in mind, Ami inspected the corpse more closely, checking it's teeth and hands for any clues that might prove helpful. There is too much time between us...I should learn nothing here. But I must try, for I would have us prepared to face the evils that murdered all these people...
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

The priest had fallen forward, as if tripped just after taking his robe in hand. Where Amica touched the body, it seemed to crumble and fall apart the bones shifting and settling. The face was turned to one side, the jaw wide open as if surprised or perhaps screaming. As she touched the priest, a sudden flash of memory blasted her as if it had been trapped here, waiting to be released.

Screams filled the night air and she was grabbing a robe from the bed in the dark room. Suddenly she was engulfed in something evil, sinister and seemingly invisible which seemed to suck the air from her lungs making a scream impossible as she fell forward onto the floor.

Only a flash of rememberance, it was over in an instant though a lingering sense of evil and corruption remained.

Meanwhile, Anarion had moved on to the next room. The door opened easily though noisily. Inside was nother room with the familiar pieces of furniture that was common to each room. Here though, there were an abundance of candles set around the room. The walls were painted dark with points of white on the walls and the ceiling to represent well known star formations. The occupant of this room had met his or her end elsewhere as there were no bodies. A wooden bowl of what must have once been fruit sat on the table along with a quill pen and ink well, now dried up after all the years. Several pieces of blank parchment lay on the table as well. The chair was pushed back almost as if someone had been sitting pennng something and rose in a hurry to leave the room.
[color=hotpink][i]The secret of success is sincerity. Once you can fake that you've got it made.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]
Anarión Herunna

The elven ranger entered the room catiously. The caves were not a place for the living, but the companions had a difficult task at hand. Someone or something needed help, and Anarión intended to not die or surrender until the mission had been completed.

The ceiling had long ago been painted with familiar star formations. The view was spectacular, and for a few flickers Anarión only gazed at the magnificent painted sky above him. The inhabitants of the caves might have never seen the beautiful sky, and the only way for them to experience the outside was to paint it on the ceiling. Or they used this paintings for study. The group might never find the answer...

Along with the ceiling, the walls was painted too in decorative fashion. Black with with points of white. Anarión could not understand what the meaning of these symbols where.

Confident of his safety, the elven ranger sheeted his two swords and manoeuvered around the table with the blank parchment. Nothing of importance here. A final look around the room and Anarión strolled out. Slowly he walked to the next door and pushed with as much strenght necessary.
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

Gavin never liked that bussines with the dead bodies. He had enough of that for days to come in this short time. With a scowl he moved forward again and continued moving. Carefully he inched forward, towards the light.
He decided to scout ahead and see what was the source of the light and to see if there was any trouble ahead. No heroics, just plain scouting. Still he kept a mace in his hand and was ready for trouble.
FORTH they went, the troubled two
To see the world and kick ass too!
[b]Syrawenn and Gavin Saga, Verse 1-2[/b]
felis catus

Post by felis catus »

Realizing that their search might be nearing the end, and noticing his companions dispersed through the rooms, theodred decided to keep watch in the corridor, paying special attention to the way they came. "Wouldn't want to be surprised from the back", he muttered to himself as he whirled his sword a few times, testing the balance, and shifted it to his shouder in a more comfortable position.

OOC: sorry for lack of posting. really busy month.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

The next room held more of the same: bed, table, chairs, chest, washstand in a room the was painted like a garden full of colorful flowers. Laying in the bed, still at rest, lay the figure of what must have been a female, long dark hair billowed under her now shrunken head, the rest of her body hidden under a brown woolen blanket. One wall held shelves lined with baskets of dried flowers and herbs, giving this room a soft floral aroma rather than the faint scent of death the others had shared. Otherwise, there was nothing remarkable. It appeared this priestess had died in her sleep, peacefully.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]
Anarión Herunna

Anarión intended not to stay any longer in the rooms with the dead inhabitants. Unless he could see anything of possible importance in plain sight, he wished not to search any further. The unwelcome feeling within him only grew stronger for every door he pushed open. Here, the monks had rested undisturbed for yahrens, and now a group of brave adventurers came barging in.

Dead people are not the kind I want to meddle with, the souls of these innocent dead might haunt me forever.

To search the remains of dead priest was not joyful, but nonetheless his duty. Anarión walked over to the bed and searched more closely.
Last edited by Anarión Herunna on Sat Jun 19, 2004 7:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

OOC: This forum is getting ready to close.. it was only a temporary thing anyway. We need to speed things up here or you won't get to see your ending. Think about what you are here for.. y'all are still missing clues and things you should have grabbed for your last event. ;)
- Andolin
[/i][/color]
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Clothed in a white flowing tunic of some sort, this body showed no signs of distress, having died in his sleep. Around the right bicep was another of the gold colored bands, this one set with a black opaque stone, highly polished that shone so, even in the faint light it seemed to have a star embedded into the center. On the forefinger of the same arm, rested a golden ring set with a smaller identical stone.

The next door opened noisily, the hinges moving with some effort and much creaking. The air here was rank, much stronger than all the others had been so far and it didn't take much investigation to discover why. Pools of stagnant water covered the floor, fed by an occasional drip from the ceiling. The back wall was cracked and some of the pools fed back into the wall which was dotted with many flickering pinpoints of light as the small snail-like creatures traversed the rock surface. Wood had not survived the damp well, the smell of rot and mold thick and heavy.

There was no body to be seen, only the fanciful snail lights dancing on the back wall.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]
Anarión Herunna

The priest looked so peaceful. Many yahrens had passed since anyone had walked in these halls and the dormitories. Every priest had jewelry, and so far they had collected many different items. Maybe they had been used in some sort of religious ritual, or they could simply be to magnify the appearance. The bracelet and the ring were both beautiful, yet simple. There was nothing elaborate about the gold or the black stone, but maybe a fading star in the center.

The smell was now familiar, and Anarión no longer minded the hideous smell. He leaned forward to take the band, his fingers slowly wrapped around the golden bracelet and he pulled the item free. Cautiously he also removed the ring in a continues movement and hurried outside.

The word looting came to his mind, and although he knew what he did was different. After the companions had finished the seemingly endless task within these caves, the elven warrior wished not to keep anything.

The next door opened, producing a strange tune of squeaking and rustling. Anarión slowly entered, only to take a step back to avoid the smell. He rubbed his nose and contined forward. Inside he eyed the snails suspiciously. They were not dangerous themselves, but before they had attrackted other beasts.

Priests... Anarión looked around, but the flickering lights were all he could see. Hypnotized by the strange creatures, the elven Vanguard backed out of the room and kicked the door shut.

He proceeded to the next door and attempted to open it.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

The last door opened easily at first, then resisted some as it bumped into what was left of a body, strewing the robe and bones as it pushed open. Furnished like the other rooms had been, this one the walls painted in what seemed to be a sunrise or sunset, with vivid reds, oranges pinks and lavenders. Laying amidst the tangle of bones and purple robe lay another gold colored arm band, this one set with a clear purple stone that had been faceted. Nothing else in the room stood out, nor were any of the illuminated snails in this room though it was next door to the other.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]
Anarión Herunna

The last room. And another dead priest. His bones and old clothes scattered on the floor. The walls were decorated, but Anarión only stared at the few things before his feet. He had entered many rooms and disturbed the lost souls of the dormitories. The elven warrior wished he could offer them the proper burial, but the companions waited for him and so did the task at hand.

Slowly he leaned forward and grabbed the precious band, his fingers touching the cold gold. He shivered. The band did not belong to him, but he still had to take it.

Anarión backed out of the room, dragging his feet slowly with him. They were all inside the large hall, Ami, Theodred, Goldentree, except Gavin. Could he be ahead? Scouting?

Now they had gathered armbands or rings or other jewelry from every dead priest they had encountered and Ami had them. So Anarión handed her the last golden band in silence.
Amica
Civus

Post by Amica »

Ami had been speechless and distracted by the lingering memory of what had befallen the priest she inspected. The feel, the stench, the distinct taste of evil clung to it like a corruption, infecting the shaman as well as she relived those final, fleeting moments through this corpse. Whatever had taken these priests must have had great power and great cunning. It may linger. And it may seek us out soon, she thought, moving slowly back into the hallway, her legs wooden and stiff.

She accepted the last band from Anarión, her trance finally broken. She stared at the elf for a moment, the fear of her vision still clouding her vision like a waking dream. Opening her mouth, she took a deep breath and noticed the stench from one of the rooms.

"The moisture. We can collect water here. Have we any vessels for as much?" she asked, embarrassed to be without her own flask, a laughable state in her homeland. "Gather what water we can, and we might move on. We should have much of what we need..." she said. "We have six bands with stones. If we can bring these together, along with these elements, then we might fulfill our quest."
Anarión Herunna

The final room and the final priest. Hopefully the companions did not need to disturb more dead priest within the caves. I have come to you and taken things from each priest. Forgive me, for I have only done what I believe is needed to vanquish the evil spirits from the caves.

Ami accepted the golden armband and voiced her concern. If they were to complete the task, she believed water was necessary. Could water be a key to dispell whatever evil roamed here?

The hall was filled with different smells. Each stench even more unbearable and together they drifted into the hall from the dormitories. The tombs...

"Then let us all look for something to carry with us the water," Anarión looked upon the others. They guarded the hall while he did all the dirty work. Humans. They seldom participate in anything which will not bring them rich treasures.

Anarión brushed past the group and walked by each room. He peered inside every room to search for a waterskin, or a bucket or anything to hold water.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

A walk back through the rooms turned up an assortment of containers that would hold water, including the wine bottle and two glasses in the second room, the large mug across the hall and cups in the room full of candles.

The hall remained quiet but the air was clearing some as the slight movement of air through the corridors swept the foul smells elsewhere, blending them with the fresh air.

<HR>
HINT: The 4 elements are earth, water, air and FIRE. You'll need a "container" to hold fire too. ;)
Last edited by Shaeliana on Fri Jul 02, 2004 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]
Anarión Herunna

IC: Water. Anarión decided the wine bottle would be the better for the purpose of bringing water. He grabbed the bottle-neck and quickly walked back to the bath were Goldentree earlier had discovered water. There the elven Vanguard could gather water; he filled the bottle to the brink with liquid.

A final glance inside another room, Anarión saw the candles. Fire. Anarión fingered his sword nervously, before he hurried into the room to take a few candles with him. Finally he could return to the hall to talk to the three adventurers.

"Ahemm..." Anarión wanted to get the groups attention, "Listen, we have air of course, and water and earth. I have these candles. Could we maybe make fire?" His question was directed to Ami. Since she controlled some sort of magick, maybe she knew how to make fire.

"And we all remember the hints the old man presented to us,

Ancient of time, the Grandfather comes
O'er the land where darkness has run.
Trapped here now, six spirits roam
Til brave hearts are found, to release them to home.

One for them all, the earth power stone
Six for them all, something they owned.
Placed on Light's Altar, set in the round
Worship words sang in a holy high sound.

Each of the elements, bring with you there
Recite the bless'd canon and darkness will tear.
"

Anarión gazed upon his fellow companions to look for any reaction.

"Now we have six personal items; a single jewelry from each priest. And we have three of the four elements. I think we are close to unfold the hidden mysteries here!"
felis catus

Post by felis catus »

"Yes, we have them", replied Theodred somberly. "But what are we to do next? The verse doesn't give much clues, does it?" he sheathed his sword. "light altar. Hmmm...where do you think it is?"

Return to “Kanthrop Archive”