Ye Ol'Dungeon: Left Group (closed to new players)

Moderator: Mods

Amica
Civus

Post by Amica »

The gasping death of the priest robbed Ami of her composure. Even before the vision had left her, tears ran down her blank, expressionless face, tears of compassion, sorrow, and loss, both for the holy man and his pet. She had not seen that which hunted him, but she could feel his fear and his helplessness, both of which filled her own heart and spilled away from her as his lifeblood ran from his mouth...

What manner of thing could do this? What evil could give a man to die from within? And can I protect us from such an attack? If this door could not do so, then how could I? she thought, reaching out to touch the amulet gently. "I will borrow this for a time, brother, and with it I will see you at peace..." she murmured, just before she gently pulled the amulet free.

Without a glance at the coins, Ami returned to the hallway, her face still streaked with tears. "He has shown me all I must see..." she whispered to her comrades as she moved back towards Goldentree. "We will continue on..." she finished, touching the elf's back to signal him that they were ready.
goldentree

Post by goldentree »

Goldentree looked back at Ami, he could see something strange in her eyes, her eyes showed the signs of sorrow, something that was not there before. And did the light tricked him or he saw the remaind of tears on her cheeks? He guessed that she don't want to talk about it, so he just nodded and continued, along the dark corridor.

The light that were flashing didn't scare him, well, they were disturbing, but he always saw light as the good thing in life, not like all the darkness around him.

As they got closer and closer to the light Goldentree stretched his bow's string, ready to fire at whatever will come.
Anarión Herunna

Post by Anarión Herunna »

The group was moving again, now towards the flickers of light. They knew not what they could expect, but Anarión did not believe they were in for a pleasant surprise. The caves offered no hospitality and the five companions were trespassers. Evil could lurk around the next corner, waiting for the prey. Here the group was hunted, and the hunters unknown. Only the little, yet annoying bugs had so far dared attack them.

"Let us move further into the tunnels. We have already stayed too long in this place," Anarión addressed the whole group.

To stay to long in one place, Anarión knew was dangerous, and when Ami finally joined them Goldentree set forth. The Cala'Quessir smiled weakly. A place like this left him hollow inside, and the darkness surrounding them made him feel uncomfortable. After the four others had passed him, Anarión slowly followed. He kept himself only a few steps behind, for the lights were disturbing and he wished not to be too far behind to aid them.

Every ten steps or so, Anarión would turn around and stare into the darkness. A creature might sneak up from behind on someone else, but Anarión had no intention on letting the group be unsuspectantly assaulted. Then he hurriedly walked to after his companions.
felis catus

Post by felis catus »

Never a thought crossed Theodred's mind that he might take any of the gold in the trunks. It was not his to take, so he left it where it was. Without much words, he followed the group down the corridor, closer to the flickering lights. The big warrior scratched behind his left ear.

"We're on a mission of helping the souls of long deceased, right?", he whispered. "Any ideas if a soul might have some sort of worldly mainfestation? A flickering light, maybe?", he paused for a second. "Maybe those lights are exactly what we're looking for."
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

As the group pushed forward, down the dark hall towards the tiny flickers of light, the ground once again sloped down. About ten paces in, the floor began to grow slick and damp and within five more paces the water reached ankle height. Here, the walls were cool and damp, the moisture condensing on the cool rock and running in rivulets back down to the watery floor. Small snail-like creatures made their way up the walls, flashing randomly creating a slow kalaediscope of lights here and there flickering over the walls.

Another five paces and the tunnel turned to the left in a right angle. Here the water was nearly to the knees of the elves. Without warning, something black and sinous lurched out of the water, slapped against the wall and splashed back into the water again creating large ripples ebbing outward. The symphony of lights danced with a sudden frenzy except where the shiney black arm had struck. That area of the wall was now free of the creatures. Within flickers, the slower lights and calm water returned.

Something cold slithered past Goldentree's leg and brushed against Amica's ankle. A small splash was the only noise the creature made, accompanied by the occasional drip of moisture into the pool.
[color=hotpink][i]The secret of success is sincerity. Once you can fake that you've got it made.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]
Amica
Civus

Post by Amica »

We have been stalking these small creatures... thought Ami, reaching out to take up one of the curious snails in her hand, her scarf hiding her amused grin. Such relief! There was truth to Theodred's words: I feared that the restless spirits of the dead would await us and haunt us, unknowing of our purpose. Instead we have stalked snails! They would live here, feeding upon the mossy stones...but why do they shine so?

She did not notice the water growing deeper around her ankles at first. Ami was unusual among the People of the Sands in that she not only knew how to swim, but she had allied herself to a water dragon. The young shaman would not readily admit to such an alliance, however...such things would not be understood, and could not be explained...but this union had given her great comfort in the past, especially within the water. But the Peshawgo was not here, and therefore the dangers were very much real...

When the dark, sinister arm burst forth from the water to lash out at the walls, she stopped instantly, her eyes straining to see what had happened. It was during this strain that the creatures along the walls flared into life, a strange, eerie radiance that crackled like countless sparks from a fire, illuminating the corridor in a strange, unsteady glow.

Spirits of the sands, protect us! What happens here? she thought, her body motionless as she cast out her senses to understand what befell them. It was then that she felt a sinuous presence brush past her ankle, a presence she automatically knew to be not unlike that which lashed out at the wall earlier. She knew fear then, for while she had allied herself to a beast of the water and had learned some things about swimming, she could not fight that which she could not see, and she could not be saved from drowning.

"Something moves among us. Do not advance..." she whispered, hoping to spare the warriors and the elf that followed. Frantically, her mind tried to understand what she saw around her even as her fist clenched over the helpless snail in her hand, threatening to crush the live from it.
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

Gavin did not see very well what happened, but he heard the splash and saw that a number of snails disappeared. His gaze fell to the lanterns each of them carried.
"What has happened, Ami? What was that splash and why are we stopping? And turn off those lanters, for whatever that was it may be attracted to light. I'd rather traipse through darkness than fight."
With that he pulled a strip of cloth from his belt and bent down. He soaked it in cold water and cast it over the lantern.
FORTH they went, the troubled two
To see the world and kick ass too!
[b]Syrawenn and Gavin Saga, Verse 1-2[/b]
goldentree

Post by goldentree »

As they passed near the creatures that made this light Goldentree wanted to laugh, they were all afraid from snails?? only the thing that jumped out of the water made his mouth shut.

He stopped immediately, hoping that he will not hit anybody from the back. He could feel something moving near his legs, and it made his all spine shiver, only the thought about what lies ahead stopped him from running or moving.

And then he heard Ami's voice, fallowed by Gavin's voice and knew that they were alright. After some time the water stayed calm as it was before, the creature was gone down the tunnel, they were alone.

He looked back at Ami and barely saw here, "Shall I continue?"
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Since their own movement created ripples in the water, it was difficult to detect the motion of anything else that might be swimming in this underground passageway, let alone where it might be. However, the creature quickly resolved that issue for the adventurers as a long tentacle raced up out of the water and wrapped itself around Goldentree's leg. Yanking the elf off his feet, the sinuous creature began to tug him further into the dark cavern where the waters were deeper.

Knee high water held less danger of drowning the elf, but deeper waters could mean death. About a human body length out front of the tentacle that towed the elf off, a large bulbous form could barely be seen cresting the water, sending ripples off to each side.
[color=hotpink][i]The secret of success is sincerity. Once you can fake that you've got it made.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

As the tentacle grabbed the elf, Gavin jumped forward flinging his lantern to the back, hoping it won't hit anyone. His arm wnet to his hip ant to his sword, but he found the mace there. Cursing his luck, he proceded past Ami, pushing her none too gently to the side and tried to grab hold of Goldentree's hands.
Amica
Civus

Post by Amica »

"No, do not proceed, Goldentree. I need to...I must have time to..." think. The creature before them was certainly a beast of the water, and as such they would need to swim to get beyond. Ami did not know if any of her comrades could swim with any skill at all, but she knew that she could manage it well enough. Given time and patience, she could see them all across any depth of water in relative safety. But I could not do so while this beast threatens us. How can we safely pass?

She reflected upon Gavin's words, words that spoke of the snails and their strange glow. There is truth in his words, but not the whole truth. If light does attract them, then why would they not flee? The remain here like a flock of sheep, because the water beast does not hunt them: it protects them as does the shepherd. And why does it not hunt the snails themselves? Are they too small? Or are they poisonous?

Ami glanced down into her hand at the small creature within, though she could make out little of it in the darkness, especially as Gavin doused his lamp. All at once she understood, dropping the little snail as she reached down for her own crystalline lamp. The light...they are not hunted because of their light! "Do not hood thy lamp, Gavin! We must..."

Her words were interrupted as the creature lashed out at Goldentree, dragging him down and pulling him away. Ami moved quickly, desperately clutching the strange, previously unused wand by it's tip to coax as much light from it as she might. "Greater light! We must have greater light!" she barked, tossing her own lamp beyond her threatened, elven companion as she charged toward him, hoping to free him from the creature's clutches before it fled under the water.

Pushed aside bodily by Gavin, Ami crashed into the wall, disturbing the flock of snails yet again.
Last edited by Amica on Mon Mar 15, 2004 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
goldentree

Post by goldentree »

Goldentree had about a flicker from when he first felt the tentacle until it yanked him into the water. He hopelessly fought it, knowing that he doesn't have in his power the ability to stop it.

He tried to get a grip on something that was under the water, but everything he felt was slippery from mold. He knew that if he will not escape he will die, by drowning or by other causes, like the hunger of the creature that is holding him.

He could see in the times that his head floated out of the water that his companions wants to help him, and he could see Gavin's hands reaching out for him, but he didn't know if he could catch them.

He tried with his other hand to release his dagger, wanting to hurt the thing that is holding him.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Quick reflexes secured Gavin a hold upon Goldentree's arm, slowing the elf down, but not completely stopping the progression of the creature into the deeper waters. Around them, every twinkling tiny light went dark and churning water sounded as yet another tentacle blindly sought to grab hold of more prey.

Meanwhile, Amica's attempt to increase the light of the magical lantern met with failure. Steady and sure, the lamps emitted their light without wavering and nothing she did caused them to burn brighter.

Slick and smooth, the bottom of the passageway provided no handholds for Goldentree though his motion was slowed by Gavin's hold on his arm, a hold which in effect stretched the young elf a bit painfully. The tentacle wrapped about his leg tightened as it renewed the fight with Gavin. Struggling to reach his knife, the elf did manage to work it free after much effort, however stretched stem to stern as he was, there was no way to use the knife on the creature.

As it wrestled for possession of Goldentree, the bulbous head began to glow, a soft greenish luminesence that gave it an untazlurely appearance both fascinating and frightening at the same time.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]
felis catus

Post by felis catus »

Theodred was still rummaging through the fact that the lights that worried them so much were in fact apparently harmless moluscs. And yet he wondered what was the purpose of their light, since it obviously made them more visible to...whatever lived in the water and liked them for supper...orr breakfast. He had no idea what time of the day it was outside. He was brought from his contemplation rather savagely, as the elf was brought under the water, and only Gavin's grip on his arm prevented him from becoming a meal himself.

"Hold fast, gavin, I'm coming!", The young knight exclaimed and waded forward throuhg the water. his sword flickering in the plae light of their crystal-lamps and surviving firesnails. As he passed by gavin, he let his touch guide him forward, with intent to cut the tentacle and free Gldentree from it's grasp.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

The high thin screech of alarm was ear piercing as Theodred's sword sliced easily through the arm holding Goldentree. The tension released, Gavin flew backwards with the elf in tow as another tentacle lashed out, wrapped itself around the paladin's arm and yanked on him to pull him off balance, nearly managing to do so.

Meanwhile, the screeching of the attacker continued and the snail-like creatures all scurried into hiding, moving amazingly fast across the rock walls. The luminesent bulb rose up further from the water, about two arm lengths from Theodred.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

As they flew backward, Gavin released his grasp on Goldentree. He spat water and scrambled to his feet. Rage flared in his eyes and he reached for his mace. He knew that it would do no good, but he did not care. His rage took over and he leapt forward, mace held high, scream upon his lips.
The only thing he saw was the tentacle holding Theodred. The only thought in his mind was to hurt it. To make it fell the pain.
felis catus

Post by felis catus »

"AARGH!" Yelled Theodred in rage, as tentacle wrapped around his arm. With his free hand he grasped the sword and hacked at it. His eyes were almost glowing with fury as he looked at the bulbous head that was rising above the water.

"It's you or me, abomination", his teeth gritted. "I'll splatter your brains all over this filthy place, and give a chance to smaller creatures to feed on your carcass. Filthy thing of filthy waters, i condemn you to die!!!", he screamed in outrage. If succesful in his attempts to hack the tentacle in half, he'll move closer to the head and take a swing at it.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

While the cuts with his off hand were not as fluid or graceful as his first slash had been, the enraged paladin did manage to hack off the tentacle that had a firm grip on him. Meanwhile, Gavin found himself embraced by not one, but two of the strong snake like arms, both wrapped about his right leg pulling on it to topple him into the water.

High pitched squeals echoed through the halls and the entity did seem to be weakening some. Severed limbs of the creature floated in the dark water, giving off a rancid acrid smell that was quickly contaminating the air. Erupting with a loud screaching roar, the creature suddenly let go of Gavin and darted back into the dark of the tunnel ahead of them, the light fading from the massive round head as it sank under the water.

From ear splitting shrieks, it dropped to silence except for the splashing of adventurers regaining their balance in the water and the walls were bare - no more tiny flickering lights or small creatures of any sort.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]
Amica
Civus

Post by Amica »

As quickly as it had begun, it was over. Ami had only caught a brief glimpse of the creature beyond the warriors, but she had seen enough. She knew she had been incorrect in her assumptions of the beast, but that mattered little now: what concerned her was the stretch of water through which they must past while the creature remained vigilant. Will it strike again when we're less unified? Will it strike at me in the waters? There is no certainty here, but there is no choice, either.

"Are you wounded?" she asked the men, moving forward quickly to inspect them carefully. She watched them move carefully, looking for any let blood or broken limbs. "You have driven it away. There is no better time to cross this water than now, before it recovers it's rage. Can anyone swim? We have little time before it may choose to return for it's revenge."

Kneeling down into the shallow water by her companions, Ami shed her shapeless sari cloak. She could not swim well in such a thing, but she would have little difficulty moving about in the water with her short, sleeveless top or her skirt of leather straps. While she would have preferred to have the spear in hand when the creature returned, she knew this to be foolish: only her long knife would help her if it attacked while she remained in the water.

"I will scout across. If we can proceed, I will return to assist you each through the water until we have all passed safely..." she said, looking around her for her thrown crystalline lamp, certain that it's soft glow would reveal it's location easily.
goldentree

Post by goldentree »

Goldentree knew he will die, his head was under the water and he swallowed a lot of it, his lungs were about to burst. Gavin's hands was his grasp to this world, and he tried to hold them as long as he could.

And then, out of nowhere, came Theodred's sword. He could feel that the grasp on his leg was loosed, and a moment after, he was thrown from the water. There he stayed, wanting to catch his breath. He could see stars in front of his eyes and couldn't move.

He could hear, as if from the back of his head, Gavin's and Theodred's shouts. After a while he could see clearly again, and was about to help his friends as the creature ran off, deep into the passage, and into the darkness.

He didn't think that it's a good idea that Ami will scout alone, but he knew that he don't swim well, and he will do no good in the deep water. So, he just nodded, and firmed his grasp on his dagger, ready to slash anything that will come from the water.
Anarión Herunna

Anarión walked behind the group, unaware of the first attack on his companions in front. The darkness surrounded him, and the air was thick and uncomfortable; he felt sick and wanted to vomit. In this place the air had stood still for maybe centuries.

The three men and one women were far before him were not far in front, but if they had been without the lights he might have lost them.

Suddenly Anarión could hear them yell out and stuggle against something he could not see. He rushed forward to aid them, still careful not to fall. When he came close he waded through water and almost stumbled. The short battle appeared to be over, but Anarión still drew his long sword and held his light high to give him a better look of the scene.

Gavin and Goldentree were dripping water; both had been swimming with the assailant. But Anarión could not see anything of imidiate danger, the illuminating snails shining on the walls could not possibly harm them. The water was a pleasant surprise, for he had always enjoyed it. His foster-father had long ago thaught him the art of swimming, though he did not swim very well.

Ami wished to scout in front, alone, but Anarión thought it better if they were two. "Ami, I do not think it is very wise to go on your own. I will follow you and the rest of Gavin, Theodred and Goldentree can wait here!"
Amica
Civus

Post by Amica »

"I will not allow us to risk two where only one would do as well..." she responded to Anarión, her large, green eyes still fixed upon the pool beyond them. "If the beast should return and strike while we swim the waters, we will not be able to defeat it regardless of how well we swim or how many we bring, for it has great advantage over us in such conditions. Still, I respect your caution. I will tether myself to you, that you might know of my fate should I run afoul with the creature. If I find the other end of this pool, I will anchor this tether such that the crossing for our companions will be much easier."

Stuffing her sari into her pack and retrieving the length of rope, Ami left her pack along the side of the cavern wall. She tied the rope around her bare waist and gave the other end to Anarión. "I beg one of you might consider my bag should my crossing prove successful?" she asked, this last directed back at the remainder of her companions.

Turning, Ami collected her spear...a last minute decision based only on the comforting feel of it's ash shaft...and moved onward into the darkness, the rope trailing out behind her like a long, thin tail. She felt her way carefully with her feet, her eyes cast down to see into the murky pool as well as they might with the lamp hovering just above in her hand. I only hope the creature has withdrawn from us. It must surely fear death as much as we, and it has been hurt, but there is no understanding the mind of something so terrible as this...
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

As Ami proceeded down the corridor, the water deepened slowly until after about fifteen paces, the water was just over her knees and the hallway turned to the left. The only sound in the tunnel was the voices of her comrades behind her and the noises of her legs pushing through the water.

The corridor stretching before her, was dark, the walls here damp with moisture but free of snails or any other living things.

(Assuming she goes on)

Down this way, the water seemed to grow no deeper and about 20 paces down the hall the woman felt the rope about her waist go taunt.
Last edited by Shaeliana on Thu Mar 25, 2004 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]
Amica
Civus

Post by Amica »

With every step she took, Ami expected to feel the floor fall away from her or the brushing presence of the beast once more. She crept forward carefully, her crystal torch a very weak source of light in the gloom of the cavern. She might have preferred to go without it if the cavern had been dry, but as it stood she had to rely upon her eyes to see tentacles her ears would not hear.

When she came to the full extent of her rope, she considered the area around her carefully before she moved back, returning to the corner around which she had turned. She gave the rope two sharp tugs and waved her light up and down in the darkness, hoping that it might signal her comrades that they could advance. She would continue waving her light for them, her eyes peering around the corner and her ears straining to hear any sound that presented itself as she waited for them to come up.
Anarión Herunna

A beast from the water with long tentacles had attacked his companions, and now Amica wanted to scout for them before they all continued. The sound of the plan was disturbing. She had not the slightest chance to survive did the creature decide to attack her while she was alone.

Anarión had expressed his concern, and she had rejected his offer. If she wanted to risk her life alone; large groups were less often attacked by animals. They usually feared what was larger than them. Also, Amica would not have anyone to support her, but her look was of determination, and Anarión thought she would not let him follow her.

When she offered him the piece of rope, he grabbed it as he would be grabbing on to her life. The rope did not make his feel less concerned, but now they at least would know what happened to her.

Amica left the group and waded through the water, quickly out of sight. After a while the Cala'Quessir felt the rope tighten and then two tuggs followed. Anarión waited a moment before he turned to the group, "I think she has reached the other end. Follow close behind me!" With those words Anarión began to walk slowly, so his companions would stay close behind him.

Return to “Kanthrop Archive”