Ye Ol'Dungeon: Left Group (closed to new players)

Moderator: Mods

Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Greeted by a rush of dank foul smelling air, nothing else followed from the small dark room. Inside, there was a bed, rotted with age and neglect as well as what must have been a table, now broken and laying on the floor, the wood rotted and crumbling, a chair and a chest. Near the chair lay a ratty pile of brown wool with a pair of boots sticking out from under it.
[color=hotpink][i]The secret of success is sincerity. Once you can fake that you've got it made.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]
Anarión Herunna

Post by Anarión Herunna »

Even before Anarión had time to respond to Ami's reaction, she flung the door open, just barely not blocking his view to the inside. So quickly had she acted, he had not drawn his swords and would have been instantly killed if someone or something had been lurking behind the door. Anarión gritted his teeth in a strange grimace to try to hide his frustration, but his eyes displayed no comfort.

Luckily they were not surprised by anything, nor had any human or demon visited the room in a very long time. Ages ago someone might have lived there, but the room had been deserted for many years.

"Next time, Ami, wait until I am ready. But you are right. We must examine every room until we find there is nothing else in here. Why don't you take a closer look into this... bedroom, and I will see if there is anything of importance in the next room," Anarión was not very upset with her, but she had acted too quickly. In the very next room, the companions could be attacked by some vile creature.

Anarión proceeded to the next door and opened it a little too carelessly. Since they had not experienced anything since the very first room, he suspected to find nothing of importance in there.
Amica
Civus

Post by Amica »

Ami crept into the room amid the sounds of Anarión's protests. Certainly, she could have been more careful, but she had grown impatient and unwilling to wait overlong to examine what she believed would be storage closets. Finding instead a small living cell, she set about searching it carefully. "Most of these doors will lead to similar cells, Anarión. I will inspect it quickly. Perhaps you will await one of our companions, and inspect the next one?"

Ami glanced over the furniture carefully, imagining it as it might have been in a bygone age. She did not open the chest, but instead turned her attention to what seemed to be a corpse, though she could see no bones. Kneeling beside this, she pulled her knife and used it to clear away the robes and reveal the skeleton, if one proved to be present.
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

Gavin walked with the rest of the group and became lost in thoughts for a moment. And then he heard the short discussion between Ami and the elf and quickly remembered his situation. There was danger great. and he was not ready for it. He will be in the future.
"I will take the next room, Anarion. If you would take the next. In case of any danger just yell. Ill be right over."
FORTH they went, the troubled two
To see the world and kick ass too!
[b]Syrawenn and Gavin Saga, Verse 1-2[/b]
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

OOC: Assuming you all are going to all the rooms on the left since you did not indicate otherwise.. only that you moved to the next room. :)

The only danger seemed to be that of fainting from the stale ordorous air as Amica moved in to investigate the pile of rags. Moving them aside did indeed reveal skeletal remains though it was small, that of a youngster or a petite female adult. Around the neck hung a strip of leather attached to a figure of a winged fairy carved painstakingly from a dark wood. There was also a golden toned metal band set with a opaque dark green stone with fine yellow streaks running through it. The stone was oval shaped and had been highly polished though age and neglect had covered it with a thin film hiding the reflectivity while the metal was clearly tarnished with age and thus not gold.

Meanwhile, Anarion's entrance into the next room was just as uneventful. A rush of stale smelly air was followed by nothing. This room was much like the first, a bed set against the far wall with a trunk sitting at the foot of the bed, a small table and chair to the right and table to the left that held a basin and pitcher for washing. On the table sat a wine bottle and two once clean glasses, now coated in a thin film of dust. No remains were to be found.

The door to the third room on the left had been left ajar and so no rush of stale air greeted Gavin as he entered. Unlike the previous rooms, this one seemed to be set up as a bathing area with a deep round marble basin large enough to comfortably hold two or three setting off to the right and shelves that still held cloudy bottles, tins and the rotted remains of what appeared to be towels to the left. There was also a now dingy mirror hanging on the back wall.

The only thing of note in the wash room was the steady drip of water from a spout coming out of the wall into the deep basin, where it ran to a drainage hole in the center creating a yellowish line of sediment over the yahren.
[color=hotpink][i]The secret of success is sincerity. Once you can fake that you've got it made.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]
felis catus

Post by felis catus »

Theodredeyed the winged fairy pendant, scratching behind his left ear. "Now i see what it meant to have something that belonged to each of them. Wel", he sighed. "Two down, four to go. I hope we find some more in ths cubicles."
Saying that, he moves on with the others in order to search the rest of the rooms. As they enter the wash basin roomm, he pauses. "We found earth in the garden. Could this be water we're seeking?"
goldentree

Post by goldentree »

Goldentree stayed in the back, almost out of view. He followed the others to each of the rooms, which seemed to be the rooms of the people who lived here, who died here.

He examined carefully the remains of the woman, or child, he didn't know. It seems that she was suddenly attacked, maybe after taking a nap. The things he could learn from the deads showed the horrors that took place here, were innocent people got murdered, probably not knowing what they had done, or why this is happening.

They continued on, going room after room, life after life. Finally when they got to the wash room they found another mystery, how the water got to there? and does it mean anything, well he couldn't answer those questions, and just went in to examine this room.
Anarión Herunna

Nothing. At least nothing of importance. So it occured to the Cala'Quessir. He did not even bother to step inside the filthy, old room. The smell coming from the room was rotten with a hint of dead. This place had once been some sort of a habitat, but for whom? They had so far found the remains of two dead people, first the skeleton of a priest with his tiny rabbit and now a woman or maybe a child. None had told them much of this place.

"Nothing in here either," he proclaimed, his voice a bit shaky from the adrenalin.

Anarión backed away from the door. Though nothing had attacked them yet, he trusted these caves very little. The third room appeared to be a bathroom, containing bottles, towels and a large basin. Anarión swept past it without so much as a glance.

The fourth room likely held the same as the others, but they had agreed they would search every cubicle. Before entering Anarión drew his short sword and then the High Elf gently opened the door so that he could look inside.
Amica
Civus

Post by Amica »

Crouching near the corpse, Ami inspected the two items carefully. A cherub and a band set with stone. But which is it? Which do we need? Or do we need them both? The pendant must be precious to her, for it seems crafted very carefully. The band...perhaps this contains the stone of power we seek? thought Ami, ignorant that she had already decided this corpse was that of a woman or a girl.

Reaching out, she took up the faery pendant and held it out for Theodred to see. "Theodred, you have the right of it. This pendant must have been precious to her. But what of this band? I will bring it, for I sense something..." Sense. Could this be the power stone of which we heard? Could I sense it if it were? she thought, her words to her comrade trailing off into nothingness as she focused upon the band. Reaching out, she caressed it with her fingertip, disturbing the dust that coated it's surface.

Reveal your secrets to me... she commanded, wrapping her hand around the circlet and focusing her senses upon it's solitary stone. She rose up slowly, bringing the jewelry with her as she tried to sense what strength might lie within it's construction. "...this band may hold some....importance..." she uttered, her own words lost upon her distracted ears.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Goldentree's inspection of the bath revealed little that had not already been seen. There was a lever above the water spout, made to blend in with decorative metalwork around the now drippy opening. Worn marks on the wall indicated that perhaps the lever had been rotated upwards often in the past.

Indeed, there was a faint hum of energy present within the stone set in the band of metal and as Amica focused on that energy, the face of an old man, eyes full of wisdom, sprang up clearly and strongly in her thoughts. Frowning, the face regarded her intently for a few flickers before the look of concern turned to a gentle smile and the apparition faded away. The fairy pendant, while intricate and beautiful, had no similar energy signature other than that of any once living item. While it seemed much longer to the shaman, entranced by the vision, the whole episode had lasted only flickers and was over so quickly that Theodred didn't notice Amica's actions though he did feel a tremor of energy run through him.

The door to the fourth room proved more of an obstacle to Anarion. While none of these door so far had locks, in fact the only room they'd found so far with a lock had been the one with the chests of money in them, this door resisted opening as if something had been set against the door from the other side. Opening only about a hands breadth, the door the stopped, resisting efforts to push it on open.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]
Anarión Herunna

Somewhat surprised of the obstacle in his way, Anarión turned away from the door. The door blocked the way to the inside of the room. In the past bedchambers and bathroom, the companions had found only a few things which might be of importance. But none of the object had so far told them nothing of what lay ahead.

Anarión spun around and looked at the door. Something inside stopped him from opening the door, probably someone had hid there a long time ago.

Earlier the group of adventurers had discovered long dead men and women. Something had spooked them, and instead of attempting to break out they had died there from starvation or fear.

Then the High Elf lunged at the door with his shoulder to break the door or at least open it enough to peek inside.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Rotted with damp air and time, whatever held the door in place snapped when Anarion's shoulder impacted the wood. The door flew open, slinging bones and clothing across the dusty stone floor as the elf landed on his side where the body had been laying, a flurry of dust and debris in the air from the disturbance.

In the middle of the floor lay two halves of what had once been a walking stick and a short sword. Off to the right was the broken down remains of a bed, a small table and chair, with an oil lamp sitting on the table. To the left was was a washstand with a pitcher and basin. Next to that sat a large chest, the top gapping open. On the floor next to the door lay a gold colored, tarnished metal arm band set with a dark blue highly polished stone.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]
Amica
Civus

Post by Amica »

Blink

The face was a sharp shock to the shaman girl, who had not perceived anything so stark and clear as this before. The presence of magic was undeniable, and coupled with the visage that looked directly back at her, it must surely be important to their quest. The face of a wise man? There is great power here. This wooden trinket must surely be personal to her... thought Ami, slipping the faery pendant into her bag, but this band...this holds great power. Is this the earth power stone? It may be, or at least one of them, if more were made.

"Theodred, I will take both of these. I believe this..." she held up the band "to be the earth power stone we seek. This makes two objects close to the six priests, this earth power stone, and perhaps you are right in that we will need to collect water to complete this quest? Maybe we should collect this, since we might discard them easier than to come back for them later."

Rising, the shaman moved to the hallway once more just in time to see Anarion burst into the later chamber on the left. They had barred the door here, just as they had at the vault. One of the priests must have died within, she thought, moving forward to check on the elf and be sure he was unhurt after his attack upon the door.
Anarión Herunna

Whatever had held the door closed could not withstand the whole weight of the Cala'Quessir. Dust lay in thick covers everywhere, and the room even contained old clothes and bones.

Anarión had no longer any doubts. This place was a grave, but the people had been buried alive. They had barred the doors and discovered they could not leave without facing the horrors of the outside. So the inhabitants of these caves had choosen death.

Looking around, the High Elf's gaze fell on a pretty object not far from him. Anarión quickly got to his feet again and walked to the bracelet. Slowly he bent down to pick the golden band.

"Ami, come here. Since you already guard the other objects we have found I think you should take this as well," Anarión offered the bracelet in his hand to the shaman.
Amica
Civus

Post by Amica »

Glancing into the room that Anarión had recently cleared, Ami noticed the debris upon the floor. Another that chose to die in isolation. They could not fight that which overcame them. What had the power to drive them to ground and defeat them in such a way? she thought, glancing down at the band she already had.

When Anarión presented the other band, her eyes widened in surprise. Is this similar? Have we found another of the stones? she thought, reaching out to take up the trinket. For a moment she held both together, comparing them with a critical, searching eye. "Perhaps they are a one. They must be significant," she said, bringing the new one in to inspect it more closely.

Is this precious to the priest? Is this another stone of power? Or is this nothing at all? No, this is pivotal to us...of that we can be certain, she thought, adding it to the other band and the faery pendant in her left hand. She then stepped back to allow Anarión to depart. And perhaps more clues will surface behind one of these remaining doors? Once we have found all that we must seek, then we must solve the riddle of their use. But that puzzle will wait for a later time.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Four rooms down, there was yet one more on the left side of the hall and the four to the right to be explored. The scent of stale air with the hint of decay now drifted down the hallway, pulled along by a gentle current that had grown slightly stronger as they had come into this corridor.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]
felis catus

Post by felis catus »

"It would seem" spoke Theodred, "that no real danger lies behind any of these doors. I suggest we split in order to cover them all more quickly. Here, I'll take the one on the left."
Without waiting for an answer, he approached the door and attempted to open it, using as much force as was needed.
Anarión Herunna

Felis had decided to open the last door on this side of the entrance hall. And since nothing unexpected had happened so far, Anarión quickly passed Ami and briskly approached the first door on the other side. The door furthest from where they had entered the cave.

Ami will know what to do with the armband. She has sensed things in elsewhere and if there is any clues hidden inside of the bracelet I am confident she will discover it's secrets.

Anarión never entirely trusted humans, but Ami came close. He had faith in her abilities to uncover secrets no one else in the group would find. After all she possessed magick skills or at so the elven warrior thought.

Without much delay Anarión gently tried to open the door. He used his left hand, so if anything attempted to spring a trap in his face from behind the door, he had his longsword ready in his right hand.
Amica
Civus

Post by Amica »

Both Theodred and Anarión were in agreement that speed and alacrity was of greater importance than caution here, and Ami's intuition agreed with them. We are not in a hurry, and yet I sense impatience in me. I have been fooled by impatience before, but we will take this chance. Perhaps they can open these doors quickly while I see to their safety and the hallway itself? This would be best, for I am no warrior.

Ami nodded to Theodred as he moved to open another door. She stood such that she could watch both Anarión and Theodred at work, slipping the trinkets into her pouch and taking up her spear. She cast her gaze around, checking up and down the hallway for signs of any dangers or for her other two companions, Goldentree and Gavin.
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

Gavin saw that all his companions were searching the rooms and thus decided to scout a bit ahead. He moved some thirty paces down the hall and peered into the darkness. He did not so much look ahead as he listened.
Wincing each time there was a noise from behind, he barely managed to keep his own curiosity in check. But, he stayed there and watched.
FORTH they went, the troubled two
To see the world and kick ass too!
[b]Syrawenn and Gavin Saga, Verse 1-2[/b]
goldentree

Post by goldentree »

Goldentree stayed rather behind the group, guarding from what ever might come. actually he didn't have a clue what to do here, the absence of light and fresh air got it's toll on him. He tried to follow the others, but all he could see were just some ragged stuff and several bodies (although he was terribly sad for the lost of lives).

He saw that Ami stayed a little behind too, so he got close to her: "I don't like this,all this deal with the dead people and their stuff, I feel it's like stealing from them, I don't like it at all."
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

The last door on the left seemed as if it were more snug than the others had been, whether it had always been so or the moisture had caused it to swell was unclear. However, given a bit of effort, the paladin managed to shove the door out of the frame and then it swung open easily. No wind of foul air greeted Thedodred. Instead, the air held a soft pleasant scent, clearly a blend of several fragrances that reminded him of stepping into a summer flower garden.

Inside, this room was quite different from what they'd seen thus far, much more elaborate in decoration. It held the same bed, washstand, chest and table with chair, but it also had shelves on the back wall that held an assortment of books as well as bottles, tins and baskets of what appeared to be now dried herbs. The walls here had been painted with sunny lively landscapes. Kneeling in the middle of the room on a large round yellow rug, the woman looked as if she had been cut out of stone. For some reason, this body had not decayed, but had petrified. Long wavey blonde hair had dried and grown dull over the years, but was still intact and had no doubt been very beautiful. While the drying of her skin had caused some wrinkling it was apparent that she had been attractive in life as she was in death.

Hands clasped in her lap, she was dressed in a lightweight yellow fabric that billowed around her legs, arms bare. The band of gold colored metal that had once clung to her forehead had now slipped down and rested on her nose. Her fingers were adorned with many rings with stones in an array of colors. Around her neck hung an array of fine golden chains with small colorful stones linked in. On her right arm, a band like they had seen on the others, had slipped down and now lay on her elbow where the arm bent. Like the others, hers had a stone, this one a round clear yellow stone that had been faceted.

Meanwhile, Anarion had moved back to the start of the corridor to begin a search of the rooms on the opposite side. The first door on the right opened easily and the expected gush of stale, faintly rotten air greeted the elf's sensitive nose causing it to tickle. Inside was the expected furniture. The table here was covered with an assortment of parchments along with an inkwell, a large drinking mug and the remains of a quill pen. Still sitting at the table, the remains of this preist were drapped halfway onto the table, his blue robes covering many of the manuscripts. Along the right wall was a table with books and parchments stacked haphazardly. Beside the bed sat a pair of leather sandals as if waiting for the owner to arise from slumber and slip back into them.

The corridors were quiet, no sparkly snails or other flashes of light only the soft movement of air that grew fresher as Gavin moved to the other end of the hallway of rooms. Beyond that lay another dark tunnel of some length but there was light at the end of that tunnel. Faint enough to just be visible at this distance, none the less, it was light all the same.
Last edited by Shaeliana on Fri May 28, 2004 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]
Anarión Herunna

Anarión entered the room. The smell hit him like a dirty fist right in the face, and Anarión had to take a step back. The dormitory had been closed so long, even the gush of air smelled of death.

Another dead priest locked inside his room. These men had died a gruesome death. They had not dared leave the secure rooms, to face whatever evil waited outside, but decided instead to starve to death.

This room was like any of the others, except this room contained scripts and books. The elven Vanguard stepped carefully to the table and pushed the priest away. Curiously he shuffled through the papers on the table, to see if any was written in elvish..

Anything might help us on our journey into these caves. Maybe the priest wrote something of importance. We do not know much, and any information might help us solve this mystery.
Amica
Civus

Post by Amica »

Watching the next two doors open, Ami waited until she was certain that no creature from beyond shambled out to get them. While her intuition did not tell her of any danger nearby, she could not shake the feelings of anxiety and impatience, feelings only heightened by the smells of the deceased inhabitants. In an attempt to control herself, Ami crouched low and took out the items she had collected so far, items that should go far to solving the puzzle before them.

Two pendents...one of which in the form of a cherub...and two bands set with large stones. Also, I have a bundle of fresh earth...one of the four elements we will need. We are well on our way to completing our list, though we must still determine how to use these things once they are collected. Perhaps a song...a chant of power?

Ami was interrupted from her thoughts by Goldentree, an interruption that was most welcome, for the confusion of how they might end this puzzle was frustrating to Ami and she did not wish to dwell upon it overmuch. Looking up at the elf, she nodded and spoke, her words low and clear. "You have the right of it in that there is no honor stealing from the dead. But among my people, we often take what must be had from our fallen...most often what water they carried. Still, this place...this temple of stone and death...this is their tomb. We will be favored if we find them peace, but we must not take any of these things away with us beyond the threshold of this temple, lest we incur their wrath upon us."
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Moving the body from the parchments was more difficult than at first anticipated as the sinews that had held the parts together had now turned mostly to dust and so the bones fell apart. As it turned out, the whole conglomeration was perched precariously and the movement caused the mass to slide down into the chair and onto the floor with a thud - robe, bones and all, dragging a few manuscripts with it.

Written in an older elvish tongue, Anarion was able to make out parts of it, mostly a treatise on water, it's place in the world and how to use water to gently reshape the earth without damaging it. There were also diagrams showing the temple and various subterranean streams that fed the garden, baths and another part of the temple they'd not visited yet, a large round room with a pool from what the diagram showed.

In the hallway, the sound of Amica and Goldentree's voices echoed softly down the long hallway as Gavin guarded the other end. Otherwise, all was quiet and peaceful.
Last edited by Shaeliana on Mon May 31, 2004 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Return to “Kanthrop Archive”