Ye Ol'Dungeon: Left Group (closed to new players)

Moderator: Mods

Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

Without a word Gavin watched Ami leave. His hand was clutching the mace and he was ready to run forward to help. But, nothing happened. She reached the end of the line and then appeared waving the lantern.
As the elf started, Gavin's leg hit something and he saw Ami's backpack. He bent down and picked it up. following close behind Anarion, the young man walked through water and shivered, but held his resolve.
He would see the end of this mystery and the other beside him. Either that or he will die.
FORTH they went, the troubled two
To see the world and kick ass too!
[b]Syrawenn and Gavin Saga, Verse 1-2[/b]
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Their trek through the waters went without event with no signs of life whatsoever, an errie calm after the run in they had just encountered with the tentacled beast. No sign of beast or snails had been left behind. The walls were dark and empty and the only sound was that of the adventurers, sounds of their breathing echoed in the hallway along with the watery noises as they pushed forward.

In a matter of burns, they caught up with Amica. The light of their combined lamps clearly showed the corridor ended in approximately ten paces or so and likely turned left or right from there, or perhaps branched off both ways.
[color=hotpink][i]The secret of success is sincerity. Once you can fake that you've got it made.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]
Amica
Civus

Post by Amica »

Once her companions reached her, Ami reconsidered the situation. There was no great depth. I am pleased that this is true: we could not defeat the creature in deeper waters. And there is no need for such caution if there is no great depth to slow us, she thought, recovering her pack and her spear. We will proceed as we did before, I think, and we will be successful.

"The water has not deepened. The danger remains, but we might move with more ease, for whatever it was that we faced has fled some distance. Anarión, perhaps you will move forward and scout ahead this time? We will follow behind you, though much closer than before. Remember to leave the wall to your left unbroken, taking all turns or doors that way. Goldentree must focus behind us as we move..." she murmured, collecting the rope that ended around her waist and coiling it up to slip over her shoulder.

Have I been over-cautious? I am capable of such things. Still, I must not get in Gavin's or Theodred's way if the beast should return. They will be able to save Anarión from it's grip while I might not... she thought, giving the elf a careful look as she waited to continue, ten steps behind the lead elf.
Anarión Herunna

Post by Anarión Herunna »

The water ended not very far from them, about ten paces away, and Anarión could not see where the corridor would lead them from there. The lamps did not lighten the hall much more than around the group, and the darkness filled every corner and space not touched by the light they had brought.

"I will lead then," Anarión replied and did not even wait for a response before he catiously waded through the water. The Cala'Quessir dragged his feet along the ground, so the uneven floor would not surprise him. To fall might prove a fatal mistake.

"Follow me, but keep a short distance," he whispered to Gavin and Theodred. Anarión did not want the two warriors to be too far behind to aid him if he was attacked by whatever lay ahead. This was a dangerous place.
goldentree

Post by goldentree »

Goldentree walked in the back of the group. The first step into the deeper water was horrible, he could feel the tentacle on his leg in his memory, and every little move under the water made him jump.

finally they reached Ami and continued on, this time with him in the back. He fallowed the others closely, but still watching backward every now and then. He returned his dagger back to his belt, and took his longbow, which he found before after the creature had caught him.
felis catus

Post by felis catus »

Theodred was relieved that there was no need for swimmning, not that he was unable to swim, it was just that he felt vulnerable knowing that whatever lived in the water had advantage over him in it's natural enviroment. Sword in hand, he followed several paces behind Anarion.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

At the end of the corridor, it indeed branched off both ways. To the right, a faint phospherscent glow tinty the waters down the dark passageway while faint glimmers of light sparkled on the walls. Having already determined to head left always, the adventurers pressed on south.

As they traveled down this way, the water became more shallow with each step and by the time they reached the door blocking their way straight ahead, it was little more than puddles under their feet. No lock protected this door the metal hinges were rather corroded, a result of so many years of inactivity. The corridor also branched off to the right just before the door.

........................... | |
_____________ .| |
______________. |
.......................... door

Still maintaining to always move left, the door opened, if stubbornly, assailing the adventurers with a strong odor of damp earth tainted with the scent of rotten vegetation. Inside, the cavarn was vast, huge compared to every room they had visited so far. The rocky walls traveled as far as their lamps shone and beyond. Strangely, for such a wide space, the ceiling was not inordinately high here and the ground was rich dark dirt which seemed to have been... plowed. On wall to the left, there were a series of cranks with ropes attached to them, one about every ten feet or so. The wall to the right was lined with now rotten shelves and bins which housed what was left of gardening tools, hoes, rakes, shovels.
[color=hotpink][i]The secret of success is sincerity. Once you can fake that you've got it made.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

"A garden? I don't believe it. What could grow in such a dark place? Does any of you have a knowledge of underground vegetation? What can we expect here?"
Gavin looked at the cavern with fascination. It was a complete surprise. A complete garden this deep underground. These priests were truly different. Maybe they experimented with magic and did some experiments on plant. and maybe this magic use is what kiled them. He kept his concerns for himself for now. No need for that just yet.
Amica
Civus

Post by Amica »

Moving into the room with Gavin, Ami exchanged a look with him when he spoke. Considering his words, she spoke. "What grows without sun? What thrives in the darkness? I know little of such things, but I sense the smells of growth upon the air..." she said, her voice soft in the cavernous room. She crouched low upon the earth, digging her hand into it for a moment and inspecting it in the light of her crystal lamp.

Crystal lamp. Perhaps there is more light to be had in this place? she thought, lifting her eyes to the cranks and ropes that dotted one wall. Do they bring the light? Can they bring the rain as well?

Ami moved to the cranks on the wall and chose one to inspect. She gave particular attention to the rope, following it where it might lead or have once lead in an earlier time. She checked the ceiling as well, looking for any seams or cracks that seemed unnatural as well as any signs of moisture.
goldentree

Post by goldentree »

"Fungus" Goldentree muttered with disgust, "it is the probably the only plant that lives without the sun, that probably explain the smell too.

Goldentree stepped into the room with the others, and he followed them and examined the place, searching for something strange in it.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Dark and rich, the soil was obviously not natural to the cave. The years had caused the dirt to settle and harden but appeared to have been plowed up in rows ready to be planted. There was no sign of decay or fungus they could see from this vantage point.

Inspection of the cranks revealed metal wheels wth a handle. Each had a length of rope tied to it that traversed up the wall where it looked as if it went up into the ceiling through a slit in the rock face of the wall. What the rope might be connected to was not readily visible. The ceiling over the garden area was recessed and dark though the surface there did seem to smooth for hewn stone.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]
Amica
Civus

Post by Amica »

Perhaps it is these that might bring out the sun and the rain, thought Ami, scanning the ceiling carefully. But what lies above? Does the sun or the rain still wait until they might be unleashed again? Ami had to admit to more than a little curiosity.

Glancing over the wheels once more, she began to scout forward along the left wall, her eyes scanning the rich earth of the floor carefully as well as the wall within her illumination for any signs of another exit. The ground seemed healthy and fertile, which was an unusual sight for the desert shaman. She knew very little of gardening or farming, and the rich scent of fresh earth was also alien to her, though she could not mistake it's distinct aroma.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

As they moved down the wall further into the low cavernous chamber, they had to step over several narrow but deep channels that ran out into the earthed area, each with a small amount of water sitting in the bottom of the small trench. The neatly plowed tiny hills gave way to ground that was more flat and the air grew richer as they progressed.

By the time they reached the back wall to follow it around, there were small fungi growing out of the dark uneven dirt. The back wall was not as long as the side wall had been and there were no channels for water here nor cranks on the wall. There were more racks with what was left of various garden tools. No doors or openings were to be found anywhere so far and the far wall was much like the first. Here the narrow rock lined trenches were not wet and stopped at the edge of the black dirt, but cranks dotted the walls just as they had on the other side.

About a quarter of a mark later, they returned to the door they had entered, the only door in or out of this room.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]
Amica
Civus

Post by Amica »

Ami was displeased. There was something more here...her intuition warned her that it would be nearby...but she could not understand. She crouched into the fresh earth among her companions and considered the room once more. What must we gather? We have gathered at least one of the stones mentioned... she thought, fingering the gem pendant she had collected from the priest corpse. But we merely seek something each of them owned. Perhaps the machine should be awakened? she finished, moving her eyes to the cranks on the walls.

"I beg you attend," she said, speaking to all her companions. "Remember the words that guide us here:
...One for them all, the earth power stone
Six for them all, something they owned.
Placed on Light's Altar, set in the round
Worship words sang in a holy high sound.
Each of the elements, bring with you there
Recite the bless'd canon and darkness will tear.

What can this mean here? What does it mean the earth power stone? Or should it mean The earth, power, stone? Is this earth below us that which we need?" she asked, looking around at those that entered with her.

Ami could not deny the power of such soil as this. In her homeland, it would have been priceless and defended with any number of lives. Here underground, it would be precious as well. But is it what we need? Or does this poem refer to a talisman known as an 'earth power stone'? If this is true, then what I carry would be one of these artifacts... she thought, lifting the pendant she found on the corpse earlier. I will learn if this stone holds earth power or not... she decided. Reaching out with her senses, Ami focused upon the tendrils of power that ran through this place, tendrils she knew would be tainted by the hauntings of the six damned spirits. She would try to determine if the pendent she held was magic at all, or just a valued possession of the departed priest.
Anarión Herunna

OOC: Sorry for not posting lately, but I have been moving into my own appartment and I don't have access to internet there, so I have to return home to post here.

IC: Anarión had entered the room first and was amazed by the sight. He cheerished all living things and loved every plant and animal. But this was something different than anything he had ever encountered before. A garden deep inside a dangerous cave. The mysteries of this place scared him, and what they might find.

A feeling of pleasure and calm took hold of the Cala'Quessir. To smell and feel life again. Anarión did not know how much he had missed it, until he now finally was here. Even small channels of water ran through the dirt. The essence of life, water and light. This habitat had all. Could they stay here forever?

Ami spoke the words that had lead them into this awful place, but Anarión did not pay attention. He was in a different place, beyond his companions. Anarión shrugged his head and slowly returned to this world. Then he began to search the far end of the room for clues or anything that might give them a hint of what lay before them.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Dispite his search, Anarion found nothing more in the room than had already been noted. It was seemingly set up as a garden. What it had grown was now a mystery that would not likely ever be known by the adventurers. Rich earth scents blended with the faint lingering scent of decayed vegetation.

Focused on the stone taken from the corpse of the priest, Ami detected a soft hum of energy, more like the stone was attuned to the energy around them than carrying any inherent power of its own. The sound of the old man's voice echoed like the lingering memories of a dream before it faded.

Each of the elements, bring with you there...

The voice started strong, then faded away. Whether it was an actual sound heard with their ears or something that had merely invaded their thoughts was difficult to determine. The only surity was that each of them had received the same message.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]
Anarión Herunna

A distant and melodious voice sounded in Anarión's mind. The voice of an old man. In the beginning so strong and powerful, then slowly faded away until he began chanting again. Each of the elements, bring with you there... Those were the only words, and though they sounded meaningful Anarión could not yet unfold the mysteries behind the song.

Anarión snapped back into reality. In the back of his mind he could still hear the words, over and over again. His head turned, attempting to locate the source of the voice, but the words came from nowhere and everywhere. The Cala'Quessir thought the song probably was nothing more than his own imagination, but gazing upon his fellow discoverers realization dawned on him.

They all heard the old man's song, just as I did. This place is trying to tell us something, but what... what is it hiding? Once before they had met an old man here, outside the cave. He had recited a poem. Could it be the same man?

Anarión halted his vigorous search of the far wall, and instead turned his attention to the others, "Do you remember the old man outside the cave? He tried to lead us on, maybe this is the second time he interfers with matters down here."

He looked upon his companions' faces to see if the understood him, and then continued, "Outside he recited a poem, which went something like this,"

Ancient of time, the Grandfather comes
O'er the land where darkness has run.
Trapped here now, six spirits roam
Til brave hearts are found, to release them to home.

One for them all, the earth power stone
Six for them all, something they owned.
Placed on Light's Altar, set in the round
Worship words sang in a holy high sound.

Each of the elements, bring with you there
Recite the bless'd canon and darkness will tear.

"Maybe he is trying to give us a hint. What elements can we bring?"
felis catus

Post by felis catus »

"Yeah", theodred scratched his head. "From my learnings, I remember that fire, water, earth and air are four elements. But Where is this altar of light? Would it be enough to simply splash some water and blow soe air over it, or it requires ...more specific examples of four elements? he paused, looking thoughtful. "How do we find out? By trial and error? Or does anyone have a better idea?"
Amica
Civus

Post by Amica »

Coming back from her reverie into the pendent, Ami looked down at her feet. Earth. "All we need here is at our feet," she declared, reaching down to collect a handful of the rich earth. She wrapped this in one of her scarves and deposited this with the pendent back into her bag. "We need nothing more here. We should move on..." she continued, looking to her companions.

"We must gather that which was owned by all six of the souls trapped within. And we must also gather stone, power, and earth. We will know these when we see them," she finished, pulling her robe around her and gathering up her spear once more. Gathering these things will not be difficult. Theodred has spoken truth: it will be using them that will show difficulty.

Moving back to the doorway, she poked her head out and considered the next passage down which they must journey, waiting patiently for her companions to ready themselves for the next step in their journey. She paused and looked back into the room, again impressed at the ingenuity that brought farmland underground.
Gavin Tylvan
Baron of Bru¡ch

Post by Gavin Tylvan »

As they left the room, Gavin stopped deep in thought. He placed his hand upon Ami's shoulder and gently turned her around.
"Is it possible that the water we just passed is one of the elements? Maybe the monster we encountered is one of the souls transformed by some terrible curse? Or do you think we will find some obvious symbol of water along the way?"
He look at the others as well. He was deeply confused, but was determined to see the end of this mistery.
goldentree

Post by goldentree »

Goldentree walked behind the others as the examined the room. At first he was nervous and curious, holding an arrow in one hand, and holding the bow in the other. But after a while the nervousness disappeared, leaving only wonder on this strange room.

As they were leaving Ami said something that made him think, and then he said: "Are you sure it will be that easy? Maybe we got what we needed, but we shouldn't block our minds for something else, maybe there are others things here that represent the elements, and we will need those, not a handful of soil".
Amica
Civus

Post by Amica »

"Perhaps there is truth in what you both say..." responded Ami, glancing back into the vast chamber quickly. "But we cannot know. We have searched this place, and only the earth at our feet might meet the priest's words. One item from each of the six souls, and elements of earth, power, and stone. We must keep our minds and our eyes open for what we may find to fulfill this puzzle, this is true. But we will not find more here, I think."

And will we be able to come back if Gavin is right about the waters? I think we will. While water was not included in the priest's poetry, it truly is an element and cannot be ignored. "If we must come back for more, then we might do so. I must see this alter to know what must be done in the end. Until then, let us move forward and hope that our eyes and minds will not miss that which we need."
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Leaving the earthy room behind, the group traversed left, down a broad corridor with the smooth marble they'd seen coming in. Dry here, there was a thin layer of dust or dirt that left footprints as they walked along.

About 20 paces in the hall made a right hand turn into an even broader hallway that ran further than the light of their lamps could reveal. Further investigation revealed that on each side of the hall there were wooden doors, five on the right side of the hall and four to the right.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]
Anarión Herunna

Before they left the room, Anarión bent down to touch the earth and feel the warmth of the soil. A comforting feeling to again be close to nature. The group of adventurers had not been walking through dark tunnels and silent, ominous caves, but the Cala'Quessir already longed for the warming touch of the sun and the refreshing smell of the woods. This place reminded him too much of a tomb.

Then he slowly rose to his feet and rushed past the rest of his companions to take the lead again. Anarión did not know what they could expect, but he was prepared to face anything.

When Anarión was in front of the others he slowed down and kept a steady pace into another room with nine doors. Four on one wall and the last five on the opposite side.

He waited for the rest to catch up with him, before he broke the silence and spoke, "Well, I think we have reached another riddle. This place is toying with us. I cannot help it but feel we really have something awful waiting for us somewhere."

"We have nine doors and we are five. Which door do we pick? I cannot remember if we have been given any clues to solve this mystery?"
Last edited by Anarión Herunna on Sun May 02, 2004 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amica
Civus

Post by Amica »

Following the elf, Ami moved down the hall, the pendent and her small bundle of earth tucked away in her beaten, abused bag. At Anarión's words, she stopped and considered upon them for a moment, fingering her spear anxiously. "We must inspect them all. They could hold danger, but they may also hold the next key to our puzzle. Let us be mindful of dangerous placed upon any door...traps or perils concealed within or behind..."

Moving beside the first door on the left, she glanced down at Anarión before reaching for the handle to open the door suddenly, prepared for all the demons of hell to burst out after her. Even as she did this, she spared a thought about the potential dangers of something hunting them from further down the hallway, but she dismissed this for now. We cannot give ourselves to be everyone at once. We must focus upon our task one corridor and one door at a time...

With that, she threw open the door, careful not to get in the elf's way should combat be needed immediately by standing to one side.

Return to “Kanthrop Archive”