Netherworld Nightmare

Moderator: Mods

Dark Whisper
Special Branch

Post by Dark Whisper »

I serve no human, especially here in my world. You are far from home and weak Ryalda. You should rethink your position. The voice seemed to have little patience.

Meanwhile, the voice in Vale's head hissed fool. You will regret spurning my gifts! As the words finished, Vale felt the wand disappear from her hand, which now had no claws. Likewise, the great weight on her back was now withdrawn. Her batlike wings had vanished as well.

Syra walked up as the transformation was completing and noted that the girl no longer had a stick to give her. The moth fluttered further away and into the air.

"The deal still holds," squeaked the batlike demon. The bovine demon turned and began moving in the original direction again.
Friends come and go but enemies multiply.
Vale Mira

Post by Vale Mira »

Before Vale realised it, she began to transform. Her features become human once more, the wings and wand left her, leaving her clothes in tatters. She felt weaker phsycially, but better mentally.

"I'm human again," she sighed to herself. "And I accomplished nothing. I should have never tried."

She saw Syrawenn apporach her and try to be consoling. Vale had not noticed she had tried to take the wand from her.

"Oh, Syrawenn, I'm so sorry," she cried.
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

"Oh, BOTHER!" Syrawenn yelled at no one in particular. "Now I gotta wake up to see if I can find that guy cause he'll die if I don't get to warn him, or maybe he dreamed this too and he is warned already, but then again, he might not take this seriously, but it is!"

She pulled Vale up on her feet and patted her on the back. "Yeah, yeah, whatever. It happened. Stuff sucks, life sucks, twiggiethingies can't be trusted and we're still stuck. So, you gonna keep those wings under yer coat and come along? We lost too much time already and if we don't get out I just have to wake up again but I want to know if we do get out."
[size=75]Gavin:She's the emerald eyed agent of chaos
Vanir:She's cute, it's her personality that gets in the way
Ulder:Syra is a great shredder of paralysis through analysis
Elvin:We call it the Law of Improbable Syrabilities
Ryalda

Post by Ryalda »

Laughing, the sorceress continued to follow the minotaur and bat-like demons.

"Yes, well I serve no one in my world so I suppose we are at a standstill, whoever you are. I'll manage without you but thank you for the kind offer," she retorted.

Her instincts told her this was a high level demon, much like Ramirez had been and making bargains with it could prove fatal. For the time being, she was going to take the advice of the book and refrain from dealing with anything of any strength. Most days, it was all she could do to keep the imp on a leash, she certainly wasn't ready for the masters of the underworld.

"I don't care if the rest of you come or not. I am going home and if you'd care to come I won't stop you... as long as you don't try to stop me," she warned without looking over her shoulder.
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

Andolin was happy to simply tag along. He looked disapprovingly at Vale as she complained of being misled. One did not deal with demons unless one was extraordinarily careful. Each word and each inflection was important. Briefly, he thought about the utility of bat wings, but decided it would marr his otherwise devilishly good looks.

Content to follow Ryalda for the moment, he gave no further look to Vale, Syrawenn, or anyone else at the moment.
[i]Someone has to be in charge, so it might as well be me.[/i]
Andolin Avatar by the Nice GD
Dark Whisper
Special Branch

Post by Dark Whisper »

Off went the two demons towards the nearby foothills. The bovine demon created a cloud of ash dust as he walked. The luminous moth fluttered beyond the group and followed at a distance. The persons following Ryalda saw a number of odd creatures observing their advance. There was the flying snake with feathered wings, and the blue colored giant that held his own head in his hands as one might hold a melon.

Of course, there were the obligatory pits of fire and brimstone along the way, where tortured souls cried out for mercy as unseen hands seemed to pull them under everytime they neared the edge of the pit. Occasionally there would be a mild tremor and the ground would open to emit hot steam and small scorpion like creatures by the hundreds.

The bat like demon called out in a squeak, "we seek the Bridge of the Black Host. It is there that a rift has opened." As they climbed the unmarked path in the foothills, it was not long before the party came upon a ridge top and looked out across a barren field of ash that ended, after perhaps a hundred yards, at the sharp edge of an escarpment stretching left and right as far as the eye could see. The only way across the abyss was a small bridge of dubious engineering, framed by two obsidian pillars with illuminated runes winking at those who attempted to regard them.

Before the pillars was a small army of ebony imps dressed in battle gear, led by a giant stag with golden antlers and the blackest coat. "Gorlemec has been summoned into the world of men and brings his host through the rift," exclaimed the bat. It would be obvious to Ryalda, from the tone of her demon ally, that he feared Gorlemec. If the stag was not a demon lord, then it was a creature quite near it in power. The party could see remarkably well notwithstanding the distance. The stag seemed to be ordering the imps to pass through some sort of glowing portal between the pillars.
Ryalda

Post by Ryalda »

Following her allies of the moment, the sorceress kept her ears open for a chase behind her. It seemed unlikely to her that the woman insane with fear would give up but perhaps her own evil in killing the man had knocked some sense into her.

As they approached the end of the journey and the bat explained what was going on, the sorceress studied the stag closely or as closely as she could at this distance with his imps.

"This is how you come into our world when summoned?" she asked the bat very softly. It was fascinating. She hadn't given much thought to what it was like from this side of things. They just seemed to appear from nowhere so it had never occured to her that they had to go somewhere to come when summoned. It made an odd sort of sense though.

"Can we follow them through?" she whispered to the batlike demon. "What does this demon do or what will he do in the other world? Or don't all demons have specific assignments?" she asked, making a note of the name, Gorlemec for one thing she had learned well was that having a name meant control.
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

Andolin followed along mutely, something unusual for him. Taking in the sights, it became clear why mortals trapped in this region would go mad over time. He looked behind him to see if any of the rest of the party was following. The rest of the mortals seemed to be foolishly languishing behind. They will be daemon food soon enough.

Coming up behind Ryalda, the dark sorcerer eyed the daemonic host that was set to pass into the world of the mortals. Was this a harbinger of things to come? Were daemons passing into the mortal plane this easily? If so, it would not be long before they overran the mortals that will be ill prepared on the other side.

Noting the names that were mentioned, Andolin sought to make Ryalda forget that he was present, and benefit from whatever conversation followed.
Dark Whisper
Special Branch

Post by Dark Whisper »

The bat squeaked in reply to Ryalda, "no, we are not summoned like this. The rift is different. When we are summoned by name we can either attempt to resist or allow ourselves to be drawn into your circles. As things can be boring here at times, we often are quite eager to hear what mortals have for us in the way of a bargain. So, we come. The rift is an opening between the worlds and the lords can control passage at times, so they can bring their minions through. But, you should be able to control the rift so that it brings us through to your world. We can go after Gorlemec is gone."
Ryalda

Post by Ryalda »

Glancing away from the ugly host standing ready at the bridge, the ex-governess locked her eyes on the batlike creature in unbelief.

"You mean your kind can come and go into our world without being summoned? How did the rift come to be? And why did Gorlemec say he had been summoned into the world of men if he is going through on his own. And you say I should be able to control the rift? How is that done adn what happens if I am not able to do so?" Much like the imp, these demons left much unsaid until it was convenient for them to do so.
Dark Whisper
Special Branch

Post by Dark Whisper »

The bat was about to reply but then thought better of it. There were somethings best left unsaid to mortals. Obviously, Gorlemec had gotten free off his summoner somehow. Perhaps he had killed him, which was a common reaction when one could do so. There was always that small fear that the summoner would regain control, so one must dispatch him with haste so that no one else would know the demon was free in the land of the mortals.

Instead, the small squeaking voice addressed the rift. "It just appeared here recently and some of the lords have been able to move their forces into the world of the mortals with greater ease. We know not how long it will stay open, but it is your best path home."

The imp army disappeared into the portal and then the jet stag looked in the direction of Ryalda and her party with something of a sneer before bounding into the rift itself. The color of the rift turned from blue to red once the demons had entered.

After a few moments, it appeared safe to move towards the bridge, well at least relatively safe. Flying creatures still circled high above looking for opportunities. The motley group advanced on the bridge and Ryalda and Andolin were able to able to get a better view of the ebony obelisks on either side of the bridge. The runes had stopped glowing and now seemed as if mere decoration.

The bat rode on the back of the bovine daemon and, once at the bridge, turned to look at Ryalda, expecting her to know what to do.
Ryalda

Post by Ryalda »

That the staglike demon noticed her didn't surprise the sorceress or frighten her though she did have to admit that the thought of it in her own world was a bit chilling. She intended to work with demons, but under her control. This one apparently let himself in and she'd already seen what one given a tiny opening could manage. It made her wonder about the rift, what had caused it and if it would close again or remain open allowing demons in.

Moving onto the bridge, she studied the obelisk but as she had no training at all in runes, it meant nothing to her.

"Does it just open itself up when you approach it," she asked as she walked towards it, "or are there words you must say to cause it to open?" she asked of the demons who'd brought them here.

"I'm afraid I've not learned anything about this sort of thing. If you have any hope of us getting you to the other side, we need your help getting there ourselves." Looking around at those with her, she sighed. None of them knew dark magic or by now they would have spoken up.
Dark Whisper
Special Branch

Post by Dark Whisper »

The bat was clever but apparently had no idea how to control the Rift. "This bridge has power. It has been used for eons in transporting lords and armies throughout the netherworld. Only at unusual conjunctions can it be used as a bridge into your world. I think you can simply pass into the rift and you are returned to your world, for you are not creatures of this place. But, for us, we cannot leave this place unless we can activate the power of the bridge," it squeaked in a resigned fashion.

"If you can activate the runes on this bridge, we can pass into your world without the need for a summons. Otherwise, you will need to summon us, and then release us from the circle ... like you bargained," it reminded her.

The rift glowed red and it would be simple enough for Ryalda and Andolin to walk out upon the bridge and pass through it, for it was at the level of a walker.

"Master the runes and it will take you anywhere you wish, but I cannot help you." The bovine demon grunted with impatience.
Ryalda

Post by Ryalda »

While the demons couldn't use the portal without knowledge they didn't have, a fact that put Ryalda a bit more at ease, they seemed to think humans could simply walk through. To stay here was certain death, or worse. The invitation to try and make her way through the uncertain portal seemed less dangerous in that they two demons who brought her here wanted her to live. Should she not make it, she would not be able to summon them.

"I've not forgotten what I said," the sorceress replied to the reminder to summon the demons to the other side. Only now really aware of the only human to accompany here to this abyss, she turned to Andolin.

"Count on the quiet one of the group to be the only one with any courage," she smirked. "My name is Ryalda by the way. I don't know what we'll find once we head into this and clearly they don't either," she motioned to the demons.

"I think we need to stick close together as we go through. I don't know if there will be more than one exit or just how this will work, but I'd rather us not get split up," she turned back to the portal and took a deep breath, holding out her hand to Andolin before they headed into the red glow.
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

Andolin had been distracted examining the runes. He knew something of the Trothgard variety but these were clearly foreign to him. He expected Lady Rioja would recognize them, even though he doubted they were elvish either. Why would the elves want to build a mechanism to transport demons into the world?

One thing was certain, one of the demon lords ... this Gorlemec ... knew how to operate the bridge in conjunction with the rift. He was bringing a demonic host into Tazlure and that did not bode well for whatever region of the world was unlucky enough to play host to the army of imps. If one lord can pass through, then others may as well. Running his hands along the obelisks, he contemplated whether they could be destroyed. Ryalda and he had no weapons to accomplish this, and he doubted the giant bovine would passively watch them do it.

Turning his attention back to Ryalda, he replied, "I am Andolin. I am from the Citadel of the Empire. Where do you hail from Ryalda?" He too had decided that there was little to gain from staying in the netherworld. He supposed the other members of their party were, by now, quite dead. Fools.

Reaching out to take Ryalda's hand, he eyed her appraisingly. Was this another Lucienda in the making? "It may be that by joining hands that one of us will transport to the home of the other. I would hate to find myself somewhere in the Western Kingdom because I joined hands with you; however, I cannot believe more than our spirit walks in the netherworld. Hopefully, we will simply return to our bodies." With that, he was ready to follow her into the rift. It was his way to laugh in the face of danger. Frankly, there was little choice otherwise.
Ryalda

Post by Ryalda »

Where they would come out on the other side of all this had never occured to her, possibly because she wasn't at all sure how she got here to begin with. Frowning slightly, she paused, looking at Andolin.

"I am indeed from the Western Kingdom, World's Mouth. However, I don't know for certain that this will return either of us to our actual homes. I assumed it would be connected to a certain point in our world just as it occupies a specific point in this world and might dump us in the middle of anywhere. But perhaps you are right and we should not be connected to one another?" she sighed softly.

Lately her life had become a swirl of acting on half understood and incomplete knowledge and she hated that. As a teacher, she had always been in control, always had the answers before she was required to press ahead. Recently life had dealt her a chaotic blow and the sorceress found it very unsettling. Dropping his hand, she took a deep breath and walked towards the red glow assuming he was right behind her.
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

"World's Mouth?" Andolin replied with interest. "You would not happen to know anything about the Azarin family by any chance? A missing Duc ... went off to fight a dragon ... been gone for 20 years ... a son has turned up in the Citadel? Anything like that?" he asked with great interest. He hoped to pause her entrance into the Rift until after she replied.

"The Mouth is also not particularly friendly to persons with our interests" he noted drily.
Ryalda

Post by Ryalda »

Stopping at his question, she turned and shook her head.

"No, it's not a name I recognize though I've but been there less than a yahren's time and admittedly, the Mouth is huge. A Duc? Then it would be a noble family rather than a merchant family but 20 yahren is a long time ago. Why? Has the son done something special?" she asked, a small grin showing up on her lips at his last comment which turned into a soft chuckle.

"Indeed they are not and rumors abound that the church has launched even more aggressive efforts to rid the Mouth of anything save devote followers of one-ness," she smiled wrly.

"While they are very sanctimonious, the ones I've had the misfortune to meet haven't been terribly... bright," she grinned and shrugged. "I'm not overly concerned but I do take care to watch my back as anyone should. There are more things about than simply the fanatical followers of the One Church."
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

"Yes, a noble family, which means much in the Citadel, but little in the Mouth. His son? Though one can wonder as to the identity of the son, the one who has raised high the Azarin banner again is likely to have made his father proud," he replied cryptically.

"We are free from those priests in the Citadel, but Illuminatus tries to take his place. Things are much more interesting in the Citadel. A lord is free in the city after the coven summoning him was killed. Now the city is scurrying about looking to put the genie back in the bottle, so to speak, but are unsure how to do so. We are looking for a certain book that might aid us." He left the story hanging, hoping forlornly that she might have some advice on the subject. If not her, then maybe the bat demon, who was likely listening with interest.
Ryalda

Post by Ryalda »

"I am not enamoured with nobles or merchant houses," the sorceress crossed her arms over her chest.

"Unleashed a demon?" she replied, on eyebrow raised high. Not that she hadn't done the same thing she reminded herself.

"I am afraid my training has only equipped me to summon them, not to return them to this place after they've been released. And there must be thousands of books on dark magic. Did this certain book have a title?"
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

"I think I told you I might have come here because I read the forbidden texts and the exploits of a poet who traveled the netherworld, went insane and wrote his account on his own flesh before dying. I cannot seem to find that last book. It is named the Liber Maleficarus. It is supposed to house some clue as to how to return visitors from the nether regions," he replied bluntly. He paused to see if she had any knowledge of the book. It was doubtful that she would.
Ryalda

Post by Ryalda »

Luckily, his description of the author forewarned her of the title he was about to utter. There could only be one insane poet who used his own flesh to finish his writings. It was all she could do to keep her face neutral and even then one eyebrow had arched up. To lower it now would draw suspicion so better to appear.. skeptical.

"Sounds like an old fairytale of the sort my grandmother was fond of telling. Grisley tales of morality with bizarre consequences. I would have doubts that it truely existed but wish you luck in your endeavors if it is indeed the solution to your problem. Even if such a book did exist, how could you trust anything written by a man who was known to have gone insane?" she shook her head and smiled ruefully.
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

Andolin tried to hide the disappointment in his eyes. It was not as if he expected her to produce it from thin air, but he was feeling frustrated and needed a clue. Secretly, he had hoped that his visit here had been for the purpose of learning the location of the book.

"We have been here but a few marks, but I can imagine what it must have been like to stay here for years. No wonder the man went insane. Still, there is a thin line between insanity and genius. I have reason to believe that the tome could be quite valuable," he replied in quiet voice. Rioja and the Lector at the University were believers in such things.

"So you have summoned some daemons have you?" he uttered in a tone of two men about to brag whose horse is faster. "What's the toughest one you've summoned?" It was clear that she had not even caught sight of a demon lord. Andolin's father was a master and he could not control one. It took a coven to imprison the demon loosed in the Citadel. "I have dealt with succubi and daemons who can learn things in shadow," he stated confidently. "I prefer not to summon one to find who is hiding the Liber, but I may have to do so." The air of calm was woven to show here that he was in control. He would find the book in time, or so he hoped.
Ryalda

Post by Ryalda »

Fire flashed in Ryalda's eyes at the man's mention of summoning a demon to lead him to the book. The Liber belonged to her! Voice a bit icier than she intended, she smiled and shook her head.

"And why would a demon show you where the book was, assuming there truely is such an artifact? I would imagine if it is as powerful as you say, it is already in the hands of someone, safely tucked away," she purred.

"And as for my summoning, you'd probably not wish to know too much about it. The last outsider who meddled lost her soul and to a name that I'd dare not utter here," she studied the man again.

He was fishing for clues but what did he suspect? A noble's son from World's Mouth, his family had no doubt seen better days. Perhaps, like herself, he simply sought a better life for himself.

"Why so much interest in the exploits of a novice?"
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

She claimed to have summoned something capable of consuming souls, yet professed to be a novice. I think not.

"I do not have interest in a novice," he sniffed. "I have interest in masters and talented apprentices. I am surprised that you would think a daemon would not help me. Why, I have summoned a daemon who would whisper the name of your last lover for a shiny stone. He has a fondness for them." He was convincing himself slowly that he should indeed summon a daemon to aid him.

Looking to the bat-like daemon, Andolin called out, "either of you heard of the Liber Maleficarus?" He assumed they were listening and it did not hurt to ask before departing. Maybe they were the ones he was supposed to question.

Return to “Kanthrop Archive”