The Cave of the Watcher

Moderator: Mods

Draydis Quinn D`Anorre
Wolf, Commander Emerald Guard

Post by Draydis Quinn D`Anorre »

"There are only a few that know of my failure to my family. Kael and Thrandil perhaps know the most." Dray thought for a moment. "I bear the scars of that time, both physically and mentally...though the nightmares have stopped, my thoughts often turn to my past. Remember? Yes, every time I see the twisted scars that arc across my arms and back, I remember. Every time I look at my bow and quivers, I remember my father as the one that made them for me. I look at my swords and remember the guard who forged them for me. Remember? Yes, every day I have reminders. It drives me now to protect those around me...to put my life on the line for them should the situation merit that. I will die before I fail again." Dray spoke as if he were giving an oath to his commander, though none was present inside the cave.

His facial expression then turned sad once again. "I remember that night clearly. It was evening...the fog covered the ground, and the moon had difficulty in breaking through the thick grey blanket. We were setting up camp, and some were getting our camp fires started. And then there were screams. All around, screams. Arrows....bodies......." He took a deep breath. "Orcs." The hands of the young guardsman were balled into fists, turning white at the knuckles. "I was helping my father to prepare camp, and I turned in time to see his body fall, lifeless, to the ground. An orc had opened his head with an axe." His eyes were beginning to fill with tears as he remembered the dull thud as the body hit the hard ground. "There were orcs all over. I had never seen such bloodshed, and I ran. I was afraid. As I went through our camp, I watched helplessly as my friends and family fell before the orcs." He looked at the woman sitting by the fire.

"What could one elf do against such a force?", he asked, as if maybe even questioning himself for his actions.

"Our guards...dead...my father, who taught me all I knew about fighting, didn't even stand a chance." Tears were now present on his face..."I saw my mother cut down by their arrows as she fled from the camp. It was at that moment that something hit me from behind, and I woke in their camp...a prisoner. I was beaten along with the others...whipped...tortured...forced to work as they directed." Dray wiped the tears from his face.

"I have made it my duty to protect others now. I am still but a single elf...but I now know that one elf CAN make a difference. I will never fail again." Once again, there was determination and resolve in his voice. Power surged in his words as they resonated inside the cave.

"I am a protector of our people, and the orcs will learn to fear my name. I am Draydis Quinn D'Annore...and I have just begun to fight." He let the words echo throughout the cave and die before he spoke again.

"I wish I could relive that day. I wish I could have taken up arms against our attackers and save even just one from that attack. The truth is, I didn't. I fled while others died. I ran. But, I am trying to make a difference now. Should others hold that against me, then so be it. In the end, I will avenge their deaths, and I will prove that I am truly a protector of our people. This, I swear."
Last edited by Draydis Quinn D`Anorre on Fri Jun 18, 2004 11:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Dark Whisper
Special Branch

Post by Dark Whisper »

The crone listened with interest, but it was clear to Draydis that this information was not as savory to her as the last story. Perhaps it was that a young elf fleeing from overwhelming odds was hardly as scandalous as advertised. Perhaps it was that others knew this secret as well. Perhaps she was just tired. In fact, she was looking rather fatigued at the moment, even for an old woman.

"Yes, yes, young one, we see it. The shadows grow long and my time in this cave is short. We have tarried here long enough, yes? But a secret we will give you nontheless. Where you go next, orcs do threaten. If you would be the scourge of the orc bands, there be a path for you to do so. Many they are ... like the stars in the sky. One man, much he can do, but account for each star he cannot. Protecting life, instead, one man alone can always do. In the city, there are many in need of protection young one, especially your kind. The serpent drives the orcs, creatures of netherworld darkness slip into the city, bigotry, hatred, suspicion are fanned like embers burning, yes? The protectors now protect themselves. The left hand wrestles with the right while the body itself is poisoned. Darkness is rising, young soldier. A sword that could not a parent protect, could armor the body from harm." Her milky eyes were staring into space rather than regard him directly, as she had done before. A shiver stopped her from continuing.

"This way something comes young soldier. The cave found empty, the best would be. To your blanket's comfort you should return." The shadows did seem to be growing longer in the cave and the flames began to sputter. Pointing back towards the cave entrance, she added, "go now and see you it won't." The flame began to burn lower and lower.
Last edited by Dark Whisper on Sat Jun 19, 2004 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Friends come and go but enemies multiply.
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre
Wolf, Commander Emerald Guard

Post by Draydis Quinn D`Anorre »

Dray continued to be puzzled by the old woman. He did not fully understand her words, but had a feeling they would soon be clear. "I will take my leave as you wish now, m'lady. I bid you a good evening, and thank you for your words. I hope that I have fulfilled my part of our bargains as you have yours." Though she was blind, he gave her a bow, and then turned to leave the cave...not really certain what was coming to the cave, but he was certain he didn't want to be there when it did arrive.

With one final look back to the old woman, Dray left the cave...

As he was walking away, he thought about the threat of the orcs, and his idea for a small unit of soldiers who would go out and harass the enemy...delivering the first strike, and hopefully incapacitating the enemy. ~I must hurry in my mission...I am needed by my people.~
Last edited by Draydis Quinn D`Anorre on Sat Jun 19, 2004 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dark Whisper
Special Branch

Post by Dark Whisper »

She nodded when he bowed, though she was blind, and an enigmatic smile appeared on her face. "Fare thee well Draydis, scourge of the orcish tribes," she bade him.

She saw several paths before the young elf, but the lad saw but one. Blind they are to the other paths when it be their hearts that do the thinking, she mused ironically. She had tried to reveal the path that was much more important than the one upon which he was transfixed, yet they had the audacity to call her blind. Sometimes one must be blind to truly see. It was a tenet that had been repeated countless times among her followers and the most gifted of them experienced the truth of it.

But now the cave was empty and the once blazing fire winked out of existence. Things were moving ... dark things. Even the gods stirred from the duties of the flock and realized that a turning of the wheel meant something that even the immortals feared. It was time for the Watcher to attend a meeting, from which a thousand paths flowed. As always, she preferred to be the first to arrive.

~ finis
Friends come and go but enemies multiply.

Return to “Kanthrop Archive”