The Patrician Residence of the Master of Protocol

Moderator: Mods

Elaine
Royal Poet

Post by Elaine »

"My apologies, sir."Elaine inclined her head. "I did not mean to make you uncomfortable. It is a bad habit to speak my thoughts out loud." Yet the man's next remark made her smile. So he does believe it to be possible!

"You are right that this is too complicated for one person to think up, especially since you -like me- probably feel very much in control of yourself. No strings attached...so would it be possible for us to have crossed roads in the weave of dreams?"

Am I going to go into this? Yes. Elaine decided. It was too interesting to let it slide. Besides, this imp seemed more than willing to enter the discussion, which pleased her immensely. "I met our host, the man depicting the battle between light and darkness. He lives in the same town as I do. Somehow I think there is a lot more to these strange dreams than meets the eye...or the ear. As for what pulled us here: would something be happening in the world that makes this happen?"
Klaes

Post by Klaes »

Klaes sighed. "It just doesn't seem to me that this could be any single person's dream- the nearest thing I can think is that we are all dreaming the same dream." He felt absolutely ludicrous even speaking of the idea. "It's a rather old philosophical notion- subject of a number of plays I recall viewing at the Promenade Theatre in my youth. Still, I always consider it a fanciful notion- surely we could not all be dreaming the same thing, could we?" He puzzled over that for a moment.

"I can't think of anything in the world that is going on that might make such a thing possible, much less likely. I was on a ship on my way to the Citadel- and then suddenly I was here, in a wealthy residence in what I can only assume is a part of the Seven Isles, judging by the embellishments present." He looked pointedly at the naked statuette once more. "Do you know of anything at all that is going on within the Isles that might pull me here from my own subconcious?"

Increasingly, Klaes felt at home speaking to the woman. It was as if despite her blindness she could somehow see things others could not. He felt himself opening to her, and for once, he was not afraid of the consequences of doing so. At the same time, his revulsion of the idea of a collective dream began to fade... and he started to honestly wonder at everything within the place- if anything here was even real.

Post by Guest »

Drunken butterflies with beer...damn the irony... smiled the young prince, as he swiftly moved through the upper levels of the home in search of a washroom. He moved with deliberation, but he was in no hurry. The party can wait. Or if it can't, it can certainly proceed without me. Perhaps it would be better if I were to wake just now. I should not be dreaming of women to whom I am not betrothed...

But how can I not? he thought, pausing in his search to consider this rather silly idea. "I have never met my betrothed, so I can't very well dream of her. I wonder where she is? Safe in the forests, I should hope, dreading the day as much as I...[/i]

He found what might pass for a washroom, and studiously worked to return himself to a more presentable appearance. Oh, I think just one dance with madam Caerdhan could not hurt. After all, none of this is real. At least I don't believe any of this is real...
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Once again the healer's cheeks flushed a rosey tint as her host explained the Dragon Eyes were blossoms, not left over dead animal parts. Relieved on one hand that she'd misunderstood, she was was a bit perplexed at his continued push to show her the blossoms in the bedroom. She knew noblility was prone to do such things, but on such short notice, she wonedered.

"Flowers!" she remarked and smiled a bit awkwardly. "It is not a name I am familiar with but they are quite lovely. I am sure the ones upstairs are as beautiful as these. However, it would be rude of me to take you from your guests," she explained hoping that would be enough to dissuade him. Now she needed to change the subject.

"What does the Master of Protocol do m'lord?" she queried. "I don't believe we have one of those in the King's Court palace," she commented, not at all sure they didnt' have one. She'd never heard the term, however she'd never really been inside the palace and no doubt there were many positions she didn't know about.
[color=hotpink][i]The secret of success is sincerity. Once you can fake that you've got it made.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]
Isabella Florentina
Countess Companio, "Countess Cabernet"

Post by Isabella Florentina »

Isabella smiled and dropped ina deep curtesy like taught in Etiquette class. "Lady Isabella Florentina," she murmurred with her soft Muchislian tilt "Assistant to the Master of Protocol. How is her grace enjoying the Seven Isles so far?"

Isa was raking her brain. Something with an elven princess and the Prince of the Western Kingdom, but what was it? Damnation, why didn't they have any political history classes that the guild in the last weeks. Still it was odd to be on a diplomatic visit and NOT want anything to do with princes.

Giving Elevie an innocent smile she offered politely "Yes, a Ball Masque is better enjoyed when one stays largely anonymous, wouldn't you agree? One of his Highness courtiers was most adamant in hiding the identity of his grace, so perhaps he agrees with your wise view on the matter."

Briefly her eyes wandered to where Andolin stood talking to the lady in red, so near the stairs. A brief flare of jealousy escaped her, quite unshielded. Cursing her emotions she was unable to resist them nonetheless.

"If you would allow me, your grace," Isabella said moving to bring the Tairen closer to the couple, "I would like to introduce you to our host of the evening. He would be most upset if he didn't personally greet you." Her dark eyes fixed The Great Battle Between Light and Darkness, so there could be no mistaking her intent as she sailed towards them with hopefully the Elven princess in tow.
[size=92][color=darkred] [b][i]
Together they planned a power and a love that would be envied forever.
Who was to know that forever would be so short?[/i][/size][/color][/b]
Elevie

Post by Elevie »

Elevie gives a regal, but distracted nod to the Lady Isabella and opens her mouth, then shuts it a flicker- somehow, she cannot quite recall just how she HAS been enjoying her visit- but after all there is only one diplomatic reply she can give anyway and so she smiles and says easily,

"It has been splendid, Lady Isabella. Your Empire holds much of interest. "

Isabella looks over to the man talking to the lady in red- and Elevie is blasted by a sudden and powerful burst of jealousy from the lady. It is immediately tamped down, but nonetheless, Elevie takes a step back, wondering once more where on earth Draesl and Ceruien could be as she sips her wine again and demurs politely,

"I will of course be pleased to greet my host in a little while. But for now, Lady Isabella, I think I should like to remain unknown for a time. You may introduce us later, I think."

The last sentence is polite, but firm, and Elevie stands where she is, having no desire at all to come between this lady and her lovers' quarrel. She looks around the room once more,her eyes straying to the man pointed out to her as the supposed Prince.

He is not very tall... she thinks with a little stab of what? Dismay? Disappointment? and he seems much engrossed in his own female company as well.

Elevie's fingers stray to the silver torque around her throat- a sure giveaway to her identity for anyone of the Western Kingdoms.

It is not likely anyone here should recognize it. And yet...

Elevie is not sure why, but she reaches up and slides the silver torque from around her throat and hides it deep in a concealed pocket in her skirts. Her collarbones seem immediately to miss the familiar weight of it, but somehow Elevie breathes easier, feeling relieved of some burden, at least for a little while.
Last edited by Elevie on Sun Mar 07, 2004 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

He knew it was impossible, but he did not seem to notice or may it much heed. When the Prince ran the towel across his clothes, they dried and renewed with almost instant ease, a strange event that seemed neither out-of-place nor unexpected. I might have tried as much downstairs, I suppose... he thought, considering the butterfly and her sudden, convenient clumsiness. And is it customary for drinks to spilled upon gentlemen when a lady desires company? I have not seen this in the past, but then I've always been quite well known as well...

Stomping out of the backroom, Prince Balthasar stopped at the top of the stairs to survey the party below. He spied Shaeliana with some pleasure, noticing that she was in the company of the well-spoken gentleman in black and white. He did feel some regret at this, though he could not determine if he felt jealousy or perhaps an almost senseless protectiveness for the young lady. She is free to do as she pleases, of course. And she will make the wise decisions, he thought, remembering how close she had become with another of his comrades, the bard with the heart of a lion. Perhaps I will keep my eye upon her all the same? She would not be accustomed to such an event as this, and I would not have her embarrassed.

After his pause upstairs, he felt genuinely refreshed and interested in finding a new partner with whom he might dance. Surveying the scene casually, his eyes took in the unattended ladies with some interest. There's the butterfly. Perhaps I will not test her graces again? I think I should like to remain dry just now. And there is the dryad, still speaking with the 'prince'...may he profit by it...and there is the swan, whom I have treated in a most shabby manner due to her ill-fated task...

His eyes then took in the elfess that accompanied the swan. Ah, a newcomer! And a lovely one at that. Rather tall for an elf, perhaps? he thought, admiring her dress, or more appropriately female form that hid beneath it. It was when she moved that she captured the Prince's full attention, for she had a grace that seemed unparalleled to the young man. What's this? I smell the distinct flavor of breeding in her movements! Perhaps I must consider this one more closely... he thought, watching her closely from his elevated position, hoping that he might catch her eye.
Elevie

Post by Elevie »

Elevie sips her wine again, hoping to dissuade this Lady Isabella from taking her across the floor by remaining politely where she is. She half turns from the lady in a subtle dismissal and looks around the room once more, walking slowly to the foot of a staircase.

Remembering something from her long ago childhood, Elevie steps lightly up the staris on a whim, looking out over the dancers. She is near to the top when she pauses and sees a tall man with fair hair. She takes another step or two, - then realizes that she is waiting for him to bow, when of course he has no idea who she is.

With a smile, she gives a little curtsey and says,

"It looks to be a merry party, milord. Do you enjoy yourself?"
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

Shaeliana did not appear to be quite the innocent that Andolin had hoped ... or at least not as naive as he might hope. The bedroom visit would have to wait for the moment.

"Master of Protocol? Well, I am responsible for all official functions at court involving the participation of Caesar." As he announced his position, his eyes sought out the Swan again. She had been speaking with a new entrant ... a blond elfess, but the lady moved away. The poor Swan seemed to be abandoned with regularity. He could not help but note that she seemed to be looking his way, as if she meant to introduce the elf. Instead the elfess moved by him and Shae and went to speak to the Heron on the stairs. It was the first time he had noticed that the Heron had gone upstairs, making him annoyed at the thought.

Turning his attention back to Shae, Andolin declared, "and the protocol as host is to see to it that each guest is happily engaged. What say we go over and provide some company for that lonely swan?" He found it hard to repress his smile. He hoped it was Isa, for he would gain points in the neverending game of one upsmanship between them. She had been alone much of the time, and he had not.
[i]Someone has to be in charge, so it might as well be me.[/i]
Andolin Avatar by the Nice GD
Isabella Florentina

Isabella had dropped into another of her curtsies before Elevie turned her back on her, knowing a dismissal in the Tairen's voice before she subtly moved away. "Your grace," she murmurred obediently and respectfully, not intend on keeping the Elfess beyond her own desire.

As the princess mounted the stairs she sighed for a moment. Apparantly she couldn't even hold the interest of a woman for more than a few burns. Was she losing her touch? Isa snapped open her fan and cooled her slightly flushed face, returning her attention to the dancefloor with her back towards were Andolin kept audience. She had enough to deal with without her jealousy flaring.
Elaine
Royal Poet

Post by Elaine »

"I agree." Elaine said, nodding her head slowly. "We are somehow all actively involved, which simply must mean something greater is going on. We will know when we wake up...you are on your way to the Citadel? That is most fortunate! We will be able to meet and find out if we remember, for I too reside there at this moment."

The fragile dryad turned the staff in her hands. "I know shadows are moving in the city. Darkness tries to invade the lands. This might have everything to do with it. I do hope that does not scare you off immediately. It is just that one should be very careful when venturing out in the streets at night these days."

Suddenly she laughed. "Hear me talking...and I have only been in the city for seven days! Tell me sir, what did you come looking for in the Citadel?"
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Rituals and formalities at court, it sounded quite boring to the healer whose only experience at court had been the ball where they stood around in the rain, waiting for the king to show up. However, she supposed they needed things like that and if it made the man happy to watch over rituals, then who was she to judge.

As he talked, his eyes roved the crowd and suddenly the healer was aware of a twang of.. jealousy? Where was this coming from, she thought? Why on Tazlure should I be jealous of this man? He is the host, it is his job to be aware of his guests and their comforts. Shaking her head, she pushed the feelings aside to contemplate later. Surely she wasn't so insecure that she feared rejection from a stranger. Still, the event with Junzo at the last ball she attended did sting badly.

Smiling, she nodded at his suggestion that they go greet one of his other guests. Someone else to focus on would be good, healthy for the healer.
[color=hotpink][i]The secret of success is sincerity. Once you can fake that you've got it made.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

Andolin would have found it entertaining to know that Shae was feeling a twinge of jealousy. He certainly enjoyed sparking it in Isabella and Kitya, so why not a stranger?

Leading her over to the Swan, Andolin manuevered Shae around to face the lady in silver. Then, with far too much relish, Andolin remarked to the lady with lavender perfume, "milady, I cannot fathom why a lady of your certain charms would be left alone, so, as host, I thought to come and bring you some company." He smiled knowingly beneath his mask. Poor little Swan. Andolin comes to save you from your lonliness. "Beneath the golden mask is the lady Shaeliana from the Western Kingdom. And who might you be?" As if I did not know.
Isabella Florentina

Isabella's eyes narrowed when Andolin looked at her gloating. He knows it is me, and he's rubbing it in. "Milord Azarin, of course I cannot ask you to remember your assistants on such a busy day like this," she said tersely, repressing her irritation with some difficulty "I hope you do not mind that I've welcomed the Tairen of the Western Kingdom, who is here on a diplomatic visit." She gestured towards the stairs.

At that point she turned to Shaeliana, giving her a small perfunctionary curtsy "Lady Isabella Florentina at your service." And then simply stopped, gaping at the lady before her, swirling in colors, sucking them in from all around her. Isa remembered how it was for her, at the Debutants Ball, when emotions had assailed her from all sides. It had nearly driven her mad, for she had been unable to seperate what was her own and what she had taken into herself from the outside. Was this how it must have looked to others?

The Rose reached out, touching the womans arm and instinctively pushing out her own shields to encompass the woman. "Milady, you should take a care."

Post by Guest »

Where was he now? This was getting to be rather disturbing, he wasnt accustomed to being sent somewhere on a whim without some say in the matter. Looking around he realized that he recognized an entrance to the Andolin's residential building... How odd.

What was more odd was that he found himself decked out head to toe in a blood red robe, its hood was up and on his hands were silken black gloves. Upon his face at further inspection was a mask that matched the color of his robes that covered the top half of his face and at the corners were two hornlike protrusions.

Marius wasnt so sure that he liked this dream yet but it wouldn't hurt anything to make the best of it. With little more than a thought the garden entrance doors opened wide as if of their own accord, and with a need for an entrance all his own he glided across the floor, his robe covering the fact that he never touched the tiles.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

As they neared the swan, Shaeliana experienced a moment of distaste, as if this woman were an enemy of some sort. Following close on its heels, she was filled with feelings of affection... and lust. Reminded of her union with Rhoddin, the healer blinked trying desperately to get a handle on her emotions as the lady introduced herself. Giving the mandated curtsey, the healer struggled internally with these new feelings, puzzled that she could feel such emotions for someone she did not know.

When the lady Isabella reached out to touch her, the healer started to shrink back instinctively, moving her arm away from the dark haired lady but not quickly enough. Much to her amazement, with the touch of the woman came peace.

Tears sprang to Shaeliana's eyes as the raging emotions disappeared. How long had it been since she'd known this freedom from a storm of emotions. Standing there, mouth agape, the healer realized she'd almost become used to the turmoil.

"What did you do?" the lady dressed in red murmured, studying the olive skinned woman. "And what do you mean I should take care?"
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

The prince watched the newcomer take to the stairs with the same certain footing and noble grace he had noticed earlier. A thrill splashed through him as he recognized that she moved in his direction, though it was easily ruined by the realization that she had not noticed he was there. Has this noble creature fled the party? She doesn't appear to be soiled with wine or beer. Perhaps she finds the company somewhat onerous? he considered, watching her unintentional approach with some interest.

When she noticed him, he bowed with the fluid grace he once had, the beak of his silver heron's mask waving low with the action, as he answered her question. "I do not, madam, though hope and opportunity spring anew with every passing moment..." he said, examining her with some curiosity. "And what dream have I that would give me such an opportunity to offer you my arm in dance? I beg you will take it, for I would not have this opportunity pass me by for all the dreams I've yet to see."

Nicely done. But who is she? Perhaps she will reveal herself in time. Now for another shot at dancing. May the One help me do myself some credit this time...
Elevie

Post by Elevie »

Blue eyes look at the silver heron from behind her mask and the expressive lips quirk beneath the silver and velvet leaves at his reply, a smile flitting over them at his flowery compliments as she says with laughter in her voice,

"I cannot vouchsafe your dreams, sir. But a dance? That at least I think I might safely promise."

She looks over his costume and his blonde hair above the beaked mask and then adds mischeviously,

"If you are neat-footed, of course. I do not wish to risk being trodden upon even in a dream, after all."

She smiles and extends one hand graciously in his direction, waiting for him to lead her to the floor.

Post by Guest »

Balthasar smiled at her comments regarding his feet. Ah, a lady after my own heart. Perhaps I will avoid any further soilings. Of course, I must now insure my own gracefulness does not fail me...

Taking her hand, the young man turned and lead her down the stairs again, careful not to look down or interrupt his smooth, easy glide. A calculated risk? I would not appear the clumsy oaf before this lady. Let her find her match in grace and confidence. Perhaps she does not often find as much wherever she is...

"Oh, madam, though I cannot but sympathize for their over-eagerness, I assure you that my feet have learned their proper place..." he responded, smiling over at her with no small amount of humor. "And while you may not vouch for my dreams, you have lingered within them many a time already," he said, taking her to what clearance might have passed for a ballroom floor.

Turning to his partner, the young prince decided that careful discipline and etiquette might be more impressive to the lady at first. Reaching out carefully and placing his hand upon her back, he kept his body a respectable and conservative distance from hers as he waited for the ideal moment to lead her into the music. He would have spoken to her then, but he would not risk damaging this timeless moment with any specious small-talk. There will be time to learn of her later. For now, perhaps I will actually complete a dance? he thought, as he lead her into a timeless, ancient step he had learned many yahren ago.
Elevie

Post by Elevie »

For her part, Elevie is unwillingly impressed. A glib tongue is nothing new to anyone versed in courts, but this man, young though he appears, seems to know when his compliments are exaggerated and how to keep them in check with a calculated wit as well.

As he leads her down the stairs once more, Elevie lets her hand rest lightly upon his arm, noting absently that it is not the one with her signet ring upon it, and serreptitiously admiring his graceful and gliding steps.

Neat-footed indeed! I doubt this one will be lacking upon the dance floor. There is something about him- I cannot place it, but he seems almost familiar to me- perhaps we HAVE dreamed of one another before?

A little giggle escapes her mouth and she half turns her head to smile enigmatically at him as he leads her to the floor. The other dancers and merrymakers are all enjoying themselves, and disporting in couples about the floor as they move towards its somewhat stringent confines.

Elevie's curiousity intensifies as a surprising formality overtakes her partner and he steps back from her and places one hand firmly upon her waist, where she seems to feel the warmth of it through the thin stuff of her gown like a brand. Raising her chin, she rests one hand lightly upon his shoulder and the other slips around to rest just over his hip.

Without looking down, he guides her surefootedly into the first steps of an ancient dance that she too knows perfectly from memory. As they glide into its patterns upon the floor, Elevie finds herself looking up into the eyes behind the silver mask and stepping in unison with the silver heron where he leads. As they dance gracefully, a silence both somehow tense and yet comfortable settles upon them and Elevie feels no desire to speak, taking pleasure from the measured steps of the dance itself as she thinks,

To dance like this- he must be an elf! But... he is so tall...

She finds that she is pleased by that, and continues to look up into his eyes as her feet step out on their own, and a smile tugs at her lips of its own accord.
Isabella Florentina

"I.. I apologize for my forwardness," Isabella said awkwardly, "but I've extended my shields to include you. You looked like you were drowing in color, sucking up all the emotions in the entire world." Isa hesistated a moment before adding "It is.. somewhat dangerous to go without shields in places were there are many people, especially when they may be thinking nasty thoughts."

The Rose gave Shaeliana a curious glance "Were you aware of your natural empathy? It is a strange thing to get used to." Yet it came with its own rewards. Now that it was better under control Isa was finding all sorts of useful applications for it.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Shields? To keep out people with nasty thoughts? Empathy? Completely lost, the healer stood staring at this woman, mouth slightly agape as she tried to process what she heard. Of course she had some empathy, she thought bitterly. I am a healer after all. Feeling a bit silly with nothing to say, she shook her head at the pretty dark haired swan.

"I am a healer so of course I feel sympathy for my patients.. and anyone who is injured I suppose. Why would I want to have a.. shield?" she asked cautiously trying to make sense of all this.

"Is this.. shield what is making me feel peaceful right now?" she ventured as her brain raced putting the meaning into the woman's words.

"How did you get this shield? Where can I get one?" she added eagerly, almost desperately.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Side, turn side, turn side. turn side...

This dance was much different from the one he had attempted earlier. The careful steps had been drilled into him from an early age, part of his training in some of the more ancient customs and cultures of his region. And how would this lady know them? Well, she is an elf, and clearly noble...

The prince looked down at his companion intently, missing a step in the process. He managed to recover without too much discredit, but the damage had been done. Damage both to the dance and to his careless evening as well. This wouldn't be the Tairen, would it? But how can I dream of one I have not met? he thought, though he could not suppress the excitement he felt.

The visions he had held for his betrothed were seldom flattering. He pictured her the complete elf, with a distant, cold, almost careless demeanor and an ageless arrogance that would insure their marriage as one of convenience alone. The creature before him dared to giggle, which was not at all what he would expect. You're a fool, Balthasar. She is your imagination only. She could be as beautiful and graceful as this creature, but she would never descend to mirth, especially not with me.

But then again, this is a dream. Perhaps there is some amusement to be had tonight, after all? he thought, a small smile curling his lips as he continued on in the ancient dance. Step turn, step turn...Perhaps I will test just how dispassionate this 'elf' truly is? he decided, his grip growing strong and perhaps confident as he moved through the finish of the song.

"Madam, you have the grace of the heavens. And it seems my feet are less prepared for as much than I had believed. I beg you will consider me for a second attempt? I assure you, I don't often disappoint..." he asked, his hands still upon her.
Elevie

Post by Elevie »

Elevie is gliding along in the dance, finding herself almost relaxed by the sure hand guiding them through the figures.

She hums softly under her breath and flashes an occasional smile at her partner- and then he misses a step, and she finds herself automatically pressing against his ribs to set his balance right as she turns a little more sharply to maintain their pattern.

She gives him a little shrug, as if to say that his misstep does not matter, and smiles once more- to herself this time, to think that Ceruien and Draesl's training in combat and throws and balance should prove so unexpectedly useful.

The Heron certainly recovers from it, moving forward with even more confidence if anything, and his hand tightens upon her and Elevie feels a little thrill of excitement run through her.

As the music comes to an end and they stop, she gives him a nod and dips slightly, not curtsying fully before she replies,

" The paths of the stars are lent grace by the Moon's guidance, sir. I merely follow you, after all." Squeezing his arm lightly she nods and adds softly,

"I should be most pleased to dance again with you, sir. But- might I not ask your name? Or- shall I call you Heron?"
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

Isabella and Shae were chattering together, quite forgeting his presence. At first it was entertaining to simply watch. Now, he was forced to stifle a yawn. He preferred it when he was the center of attention.

All this talk about shielding made him remember that he needed to learn shielding ... against empaths. Before interupting, he decided to wait and listen to Isa's answer.

Return to “Kanthrop Archive”