Entrance Thread for Linden

Moderator: Mods

rhoddin

Entrance Thread for Linden

Post by rhoddin »

The soft brush of the salty air finally wakes you up. There is sand between your fingers. You're on a beach! The rushing sound of the gentle waves breaking a few yards from where you lay sprawled on the sand confirms your suspicions. Your mind is empty and you have absolutely no clue how you landed here.

As you look around you see the beach is empty, except for yourself. In the distance some gigantic crabs scurry away. Your eyes kid you not, they are indeed as big as pigs, with vicious claws to match. But they seem more scared of you than you are of them.

In between the gentle dunes, with fair tops of waving seagrass, that mark the end of the beach you notice a small path. At the beginning of the path you see several items on the ground, shining metal sparkling in the sunlight. A small awkwardly written notice, which strangely enough even the illiterate can read says

"Please leave all weapons here. Beyond this point the gods will provide."
Linden Malova

Post by Linden Malova »

Linden's eyes fluttered open as a soft breeze touched his cheek. He grasped the warm sand inbetween his fingers and then hauled himself into a sitting position, ruffling the sand out of his hair with his hands before standing and swiping his hands together to get the sand off of them as well. The young man was somewhat puzzled as to why there seemed to be no sign of inhabitation on the island.

He smiled at the crabs that scuttled away. Linden was quite astonished by their size, but, seeing their fright, knew they weren't going to harm him and he most certainly wasn't going to harm them, 'If only all things in the world had minds like that.' The half-elf walked calmly through the sand; he had no real sense of urgency, the peacefulness of the place nullified any emotion other than contentment from his being. When he reached the sign, he read it and then smiled, 'No weapons... that means no meaningless bloodshed.'

Being a follower of Aurelius, Linden didn't possess any weaponry and, as such, he merely adjusted the backpack on his shoulder and walked down the little path, eyes wide open, taking in all of his surroundings with a serene face.
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

The path Linden walked was not arduous, as he walked he passed by large fields. In the distance there were more of the well tended fields, replete with crops gently swaying in the mild breeze that swept the Isle. Although he could see no people working the fields, he felt himself drawn along the path, and could not veer away to investigate these empty fields, or the crops they contained.

Soon he found himself approaching a collection of white buildings.

The path ended on a dusty square, in front of what was clearly the centrepiece of the settlement, if one could call it that. The entrance, marked by two huge marble pillars, had no doors, only a deep darkness that pulled at his very soul to enter, in fact Linden found the pull of the entrance almost unbearable.
Linden Malova

Post by Linden Malova »

Linden walked along, still in a serenely content state of mind, and hummed a bit of a song. Because the half-elf had absolutely no musical aptitude, it wasn't a very good song, but it still had an upbeat happiness. He turned his face up into the breeze, feeling it blow across his cheeks with gentleness, and allowed his skin to soak up the warmth offered by the sun. The young man was in no hurry, and, although he noted the fields with curiosity, or rather, curiosity at their abandonment, he felt no need to go off and explore, perfectly content to walk slowly along the path and enjoy the loveliness of the day.

Eventually, Linden got so near to the buildings that even he had to notice them. Feeling the pull of the entrance, he stopped for the barest moment to observe the sun glint off the white buildings and take a deep breath of the fresh greenness around him, then he ventured into the darkness. He had stopped singing, but really wasn't afraid of the darkness, just a little curious.
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

As Linden stepped into the hall his eyes were drawn to the middle of the temple, where light fell in through the roof. There was a pool right under it, sparkling in the sunlight.

As his eyes adjusted to the darkness he saw four small channels run away from the pool, where overflow water would be easily drained, a very geometric and mathematically pleasing arrangement indeed.

At the far end of the pool a large decorative construction hung over the pool, almost like an aquaduct. The darker coloring than the rest of the stone suggested water flowed regularly from its top, about ten metres high.

But not now. Everything was quiet, hushed, waiting....
Linden Malova

Post by Linden Malova »

Linden walked without changing his pace until he came to the pool, where the half-elf stopped and took in his surroundings. He spent some time pondering the decorative aqueduct, as well as the channels that were flowing out of the pool. There was something symbolic about the whole arrangement, and it was also very pleasing to the eye.

He shut his eyes softly and got a sense of waiting from the area, although for what he didn't exactly know. The young man stepped cautiously into the pool, not caring the least bit about his robes getting wet, and kept taking the same small, unhurried steps he had taken before into the pool, until Linden was standing in the center of the pool, in front of the aqueduct. He put his hands on the water's surface and tilted his face towards the sun, enjoying its warmth on his skin.
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

As he appraoched the pool, and Linden's eyes adjusted to the light further, he noted the blue mosaic that was down in the pool, swirling in geographic forms beneath the small wavelets er brushing of the surface caused.

The water was probably about half a human's height, making it comfortable for bathing. The solemn atmoshpere hardly seemed to permeate Lindens mind.

Feeling the warmth of the wan sun on his face, Linden heard a gurgling sound, and within seconds water streamed down from the decorative structure with such force as to create a strong waterfall. The rush of sound filled his ears and it was as if just beyond his capability of hearing a thousand voices filled his head.
Linden Malova

Post by Linden Malova »

Linden slowly blinked a few times, allowing his eyes to adjust even more to the varying light levels. With a small, serene smile flitting across his face. He moved his hands slowly across the surface, mimicking the geometric patterns he could see through the water. The half-elf was shocked, and the hair on his arms momentarily stood on end, at the sudden release of water.

His ears had every sound except for the rush of the just created waterfall shut out from them, and he sank to his knees in the water, bringing the surface to about Linden's chin. Because it was in the half-elf's nature to always try to listen and absorb any information he could, (even if he did go so far as eavesdropping at times), he shut his eyes and tried to see if the far-off voices would become any clearer.
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

As Linden listerned, one voice did seem to distach itself from the others, and slowly resolved into a voice he could hear, and understand.

"Welcome traveller," and as the voice resolved itself, so did the figure of a man, walking from the water itself.

Old, but not ancient, a fringe of snow white hair crowned his otherwise bald head. Intelligent blue eyes looked at Linden, seeming to weigh his worth.

"Would you care to walk with me? I have much to say." Wihich was a rather strange statement in it's own right.
Linden Malova

Post by Linden Malova »

Linden smiled as one voice separated itself from the others, although a burning curiosity about the rest of the voices and what they had to say remained. He watched the man walk from the water and slowly rose so that he was standing as opposed to kneeling. The ends of his hair were wet, and the robe was probably ruined, but Linden didn't really care.

The half-elf was somewhat tempted to avert his eyes from the man as the other seemed to be measuring him, but instead he just kept his eyes on the man in an idlely relaxed, yet observing, way. Linden nodded at the man's question, "Yes... where are we going?" It was a question asked out of pure curiosity and inquiry, and Linden stepped closer to the man, waiting to be shown exactly where they were going to walk. It was an odd statement that the man uttered, 'I have much to say?"
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

"Where are we going? Oh here and there, and I guess then back again." His eyes crinkled in mirth as at a silent joke, and he led Linden towards the now darkened side of the chamber, away from the door and the fountain.

As they approached the dark, well I guess it was the wall, Linden began to notice some pin pricks of light were appearing. The further they walked the more that appeared, and there were different shapes and intensities of, well pin pricks.

"Have you considered who we are Linden Malova? Or why we are?" The entities voice was resonant, and seemed that of a much younger person then the one talking with Linden.
Linden Malova

Post by Linden Malova »

"Here and there, and back again?" This man was truly a perplexing figure to Linden, and he could not make heads or tails of him. The half-elf walked at the man's side as he was led to the wall, blinking when the first points of light appeared, thinking that his eyes were playing tricks on him. With every step he took, the half-elf noticed more small lights appearing and flickering into life. At the shapes, he smiled to himself, 'I never knew such small things could have different shapes.'

Linden turned away from studying the wall of pointed light when the man spoke to him, and he brought a hand to his chin, "Of course I've considered it, but I haven't come to any conclusion yet. All I know is that every person is who they are, and that everything has something to do. I don't know why it is that way, why I am not someone else: you for example, but it is that way. Who we are? We are the sum of our experience and our soul, I think."
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

"Ah, indeed we are. But there lies the crux does it not? For what is the soul? And why do we even have a soul. Is it the gods idea of offering us immortality, is the soul a fleck of a god that gives us the spark of life and sentient being?

"For these are surely the questions of the ages, are they not my son?"

And for some reason Lindens perception changed, and he was no longer walking with an old man, they just were and all around them swirled the stars of the universe.

Suspended in the heavens himself, Linden could see stars and constellations he had never dreamt of, lights swirling and spiralling across his vision, in every direction at once.
Linden Malova

Post by Linden Malova »

Linden nodded seriously, "Well, I don't really know yet. The soul must be the most inner part of us, I think. If two people are in the exact same situation, they will react in different ways. What makes that so is the soul, I think. Why do we have a soul?" In all honesty, the half-elf hadn't even thought of that question, and he shook his head slowly, "I don't know. I think that perhaps because if we didn't, then everyone would be the same, and nothing would be done?"

He couldn't stop himself from gasping as all of a sudden he could see in all directions. The young man attempted to rationalize this new phenomena, first with statements, then shaking his head and speaking in a low mumbling voice to himself, "No, it's a question. A question from when I was younger, 'Why do we see with our eyes?' Well, I'm not seeing with my eyes..." He let himself be with utter patience and experienced awe at the sight of the stars and their patterns, 'Do all of these truly exist?'
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

"Indeed they do all exist my son, and many more besides. Some are blue green jewles such as Tazlure, but others are raging inferno's of fire, or bitter cold rocks, of ice and howling storms."

The stars swirled and wheeled around them, unfamiliar constellations flashed before Linden's eyes, as they seemed to be sinking away from the stats again, and the constellations seemed to resolve themselves into more familiar patterns, until they were the patterns he was familiar with.

What was that? Linden's perception suddenly returned to normal, but he was now lying on his back, on something soft and fragrent, maybe a type of grass, and he was gazing up at the familar stars of his own world again.

"Indeed the spark of the soul is what differentiates us, one from the other, but why? To get things done, maybe not, as the gods could do whatever they pleased. Where do the gods gain their power Linden Malova?"
Linden Malova

Post by Linden Malova »

'All of these little dots are places?' Linden's mind swam in front of him as he tried to comprehend the statement; truly comprehend it. That each of these dots were not dots at all, but large worlds, "What are they all for?" He let out a small cry of dissapointment as the constellations settled; upset about not being able to see more. Still, as they made their way into constellations, the half-elf kept thinking, 'Those dots just turned into the stars! So... are all the stars places?'

He also made a noise of dismay as his perception returned to normal. Being able to only see out of his two eyes suddenly seemed confining to Linden, but the half-elf kept his gaze on the stars, part of him immensely glad to feel the earth under his back once more, and he thought once again. He was doing more thinking now than he had done for a great while, but Linden couldn't deny enjoying it.

"Well, maybe the gods can do whatever they wish, but...not to us, really, can they? I mean, to our minds and souls. That's why some people follow some gods or even don't believe in the gods at all. If they could force us to believe, wouldn't they? What do you mean 'where do the gods gain their power'? Don't they just have it at their disposal? They're all powerful, and I don't think there is a force on Tazlure that could produce that much power. Maybe the dots..?" He gestured to the stars in the sky.
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

"Ah, but Linden, the gods must play by the rules as well you know. But you are right. The gods cannot just demand that others believe in them, or even wish to accept them at all.

"But that is part of their power. Did you not guess that the more who follow a god, and I mean truely believe and accept that god, the more powerful the god is?"

The old man by his side was silent for a flicker. "The dots you see, the stars are indeed other planets, with other gods and peoples to our own. But who is the god of the gods, or do they have one?

"Have you considered the Mother and Father? Why are they called such, and are they different to say Dominicus, or K'Tan?"
Linden Malova

Post by Linden Malova »

Linden nodded thoughtfully, "Yes, I suppose that, considering they must follow that one rule, there stands to be other rules. But, what rules are those? Exactly how much interference are they allowed, and what exactly can set rules for the Gods?" The young half-elf's mind was beginning to ache, but in a good way, as it was stretched beyond its normal use.

"So, the more that follow a God, the more power they have? What happens then, if a God loses all his followers?" The idea was one that just sprung into his head, then he grinned as the man mentioned other planets, "If they have other Gods, then that means that the Gods' birth are somewhat tied to people..."

"The Mother and Father? No, I've never really considered it, actually. Are they the Mother and Father of the Gods? Is that why they are adressed as such? That would make them different..."
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

"Do you know of any god that has no followers? To have no followers is to wither and die, as a grape on a vine will wither and die in the heat of summer if not picked at its optimum.

"As for the Mother and the Father, well it is not my place to tell, but their names do have relevence, don't you think?"

And his companion was silent for a flicker, or maybe two time seemed suspended as they watched the constellations wheel overhead.

"I asked you before, why are we here, but I also wish to know, why are you here?"
Linden Malova

Post by Linden Malova »

"If to have no followers is to wither and die, what would happen to the Gods if everyone on Tazlure stopped believing? Do the Gods hold our fate in their hands, and we in turn hold theirs?" It was really an interesting thing for the young half-elf to ponder, as one was generally brought up believing in the absolute power of the Gods. The notion that there was essentially a partnership, a symbiotic relationship, between mortals and Gods was not something that he had previously been exposed to.

Linden smiled, a smile of mischeviousness, at his companion, 'Not your place to tell, no, but apparently your place to infer.' Still, he nodded, "Names are not attached without significance, I'd imagine."

"Why I am here..." The young man shut his eyes softly, "I do not know why I am here, but I do know what I want that why to be, and perhaps I can bring that why to pass. I want to know, and to think, and to assist others in doing so when the time is right. I would like to find ideas and perhaps introduce them to the world. That is my wish for why."
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

To Lindens first reply, the man nodded his head, "To a degree, most of the gods are beholden to their followers."

And he held his tongue as the young half elf continued his line of thought.

"Ah, then you seek a Thinker, and maybe a philosopher. Hmm, there are those who might help you, but I have perhaps another path you might follow.

"Do you think my young friend, that all knowledge might reside in one place, or rather that one should move around somewhat to, um, gather that said knowledge?"
Linden Malova

Post by Linden Malova »

Linden blew a strand of hair out of his face, 'The Gods beholden to their followers? So, they must care for us, in a sense, for if they did not, then they wouldn't fulfill their purpose, and perhaps even cease to exist?' The half-elf shook his head slightly; his intellect comprehended the idea, but it would take a while for it to sink in in its entirety.

He nodded at the man's pinpointing of his path, "Yes, that is what I wish, I think. Another path?" Linden's curiosity was piked, now he would not rest until he had head the other option, "Knowledge doesn't really exist in any place, does it? Many things are independent of location. The only ones that aren't, I would guess, are the things that are known to individuals, such as experience. So, I suppose it would depend on the knowledge."
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

All was silent on the grassy knoll, the the old man and the half elf watched the sky, before the old man spoke again.

"Many have sort the knowledge of the world, and have chosen to study books and keep to the libaries of the world.

"I forsee another route. To travel the temples of the gods, and seek not just the knowledge of the books and scripts held there, but the wealth of experience of the priests and the very gods themselves.

"But, I see problems, not all the gods are forthcoming in their knowledge, and your task to enter some temples will be more difficult than others. Like a bard seeks new stories and music, one might seek new knowledge and experiences."
Linden Malova

Post by Linden Malova »

Linden allowed his eyes to wallow in the vastness that was the sky, then shut them as his companion spoke before replying himself, "So, discovering knowledge that otherwise would not be shared instead of rehashing what has already been made public. I like that." The half-elf smiled gently.

"Life itself has problems, does it not? And many of those problems stem from not understanding others. If I could understand others, then perhaps I could end some of the problems of life. New knowledge and experience breathe life into the world, and I shall gladly seek it. What people refuse to reveal can be just as telling as what they do reveal, can't it? Their secrecy speaks as much of their experience as their openness."

The half-elf rather liked the idea of learning from everyone and everything, and it certainly would not be a boring life-path.
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

The older man sighed, not a sigh of resignation, but a sigh of relief. "Then we are agreed." He didn't seem to be talking to Linden, but he must have been as no one else was present.

As he spoke, the ground beneath Linden back seemed to dissolve, and Linden found himself wallowing in the pool he had walked into what seemed an age ago.

The last thing he recalled clearly was the old mans voice, "Remember this place, and remember me, I will close at hand if you need me."

Return to “Oracle's Isle archives (old)”