The Chase (Draydis and Thrandil)

Moderator: Mods

Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

Dray saw the oblong stone used as a missile against the ship lodged among the cargo below where the catapult had tossed it. It hadn't broken the hull, which was good...no water was filling the ship yet, and that was all that converned Tom. Reporting this to the captain, Tom nodded and waited as the ship slowly built speed with the wind and began to fall off from the wind a finger's width at a time.

The pirate ship came about fully and brought it's catapult to bear once again while the Magpie was unable to maneuver. Another heavy stone arched over to them and smashed into the side of the boat, springing a butt and sending a shower of water flooding into the cargo deck below them. The ship finally fell off from the wind enough that Tom ordered the spritsails set...strange, triangular sheets that caught the wind and pushed the ship around to point downwind...he quickly reclaimed the wheel from Thrandil. As the brave little river ship recovered, the Attica backsailed a position some distance upwind and continued to pummel with massive rocks, apparently interested more in destroying the Magpie than capturing her.

"Lads, we steer...and we've got control again...but they're happy to just tear us apart. I don't think we'll make it. Maybe you should get the boat over the side...we might need to abandon the Magpie..."
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre
Wolf, Commander Emerald Guard

Post by Draydis Quinn D`Anorre »

Dray did his best to ignore the crashing waves, the wind in their faces, and the onslaught delivered by the pirates...as he kept on firing his bow. "Thran, I don't think I am but a nuisance for our enemy."

He shrugged and kept at his post...delivering attacks back to the enemy. ~This is all I know...Mother, give me strength to continue and guidance on my messages of death.~ He once again focused his attacks on the crew manning the catapult.

Dray then had an idea. "TOM! What do you think if we sail far enough away from the Attica that we are no longer in catapult range....then slowly circle around them so we may re-attack from upwind?"
Last edited by Draydis Quinn D`Anorre on Sat Apr 17, 2004 6:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

"Not enough sea room, mate," hollered Tom, as the remaining six hands he had available moved frantically to make sail, pumping up to the yardarm and releasing a large, square sheet to catch the wind. Hauling the sheet back, the sail filled and gave the Magpie new life as it slowly began to build speed. "We might manage it, but that right bastard would just follow us. See? He turns even now to give chase to us..."

Draydis could see the effects of his arrows. He had struck several sailors despite the treacherously pitching and angling deck, but he had been struck as well several times, his armor saving his life more than once. The Magpie had turned, and he had been forced to move along the deck to keep the opponent in sight, and now that the Magpie was moving again he found himself standing at the rear of the ship, for the Magpie ran away from the pirates.

And then another catapult stone flew up from the Attica, and this one would hit. Both Draydis and Thrandil saw the massive stone fly towards them long before it struck, smashing down through the deck several paces stern of the first. The sickening, wrenching crush of the impact was the only proof needed that the Magpie had been holed mortally, and seawater quickly shot upward from the strike as several boards sprung open and seams came loose. The Magpie was sinking.

"We're done, lads! Try to get the boats over the side! Strike the colors! Bring the wounded up from below...ABANDON SHIP!" yelled Tom, leaving the helm alone as he tore at the ropes securing the ship's small boat.
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

Dray was in the process of firing another arrow when the catapult stone came towards the Magpie. "IT'S GOING TO HIT!!!" He did his best to deliver the arrow to one final pirate, and then braced for the impact.

Upon Tom's commands, Dray tossed his bladed staff into the smaller boat, and did his best to help the wounded onto the boat. He then made sure the dead were also taken from the Magpie. "Nobody gets left behind!" Dray made sure that Thrandil was making his way off the Magpie as well. "Thran, you should get your armor, get to the boat, and start preparing for a fight...this one could get really ugly."

Finally, when all were accounted for, Dray headed for the boat himself and helped Tom to get it into the water.

Once they were all in the boat, Dray asked Tom, "Tom, what's the order? Where should we take this boat?"
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

Moving the boat proved to be hopeless. The launch was more than six full paces in length, a massive construction for so few hands to move. Only five hands were left healthy enough to move it including Tom, and even with the help of both Draydis and Thrandil, the massive boat would move with only great exertion. The Attica had closed very quickly as they finally levered the boat over the water, swamping some water within it as it fell to the gradually rising surface of the water.

The closing pirates did not continue their attack when they saw the survivors abandoning the Magpie. They stormed down the winds toward the settling wreck with ominous intent, a proud sweep of water breaking apart at her bow as she bore down on the survivors.

"We're done, mates..." admitted Tom. "When they come alongside, just give 'em all you got an they'll at least spare your lives. They won't be too pleased that the dear, old Magpie was sunk, though...she takes her cargo down with her...but they'll take all we have to offset their loss."

The crew of the lost Magpie watched the approaching pirate vessel with only weariness and acceptance. They didn't have any fight left in them, for they had used all the strength they had maneuvering the vessel in the recent sea battle. The pirates would be upon them in another few marks, arriving at the same moment that the Magpie's hull finally slipped under the surface and out of sight forever.
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

Dray got a look on his face that Thrandil recognized...he wasn't about to give up. His friend knew the wood elf would never submit to being a prisoner, and would rather die than to be in the hands of an enemy again. With a smile, Dray looked at Thran, and spoke in ancient elven, "My friend, today I will die before I submit to their imprisonment." He thought for a moment, then continued in the ancient language, "Let's hold for now, not showing any aggression. Once we are on their ship, we attack. This will allow us to fight as a unit, to use any available defenses their ship may offer, and also gain the element of surprise. I know I took down a few of their numbers at least, but there are still many of them. We could perhaps find a place on their deck that would form a bottle neck so only a few of them could attack at once." His face took on a look of determination, "You should probably get your armor on."
Thrandil

Post by Thrandil »

Thrandil, who had taken his most precious belongings, weaponry and armor, with him to the wee little boat, nodded at his friend's comments. In the Ancient tongue he proceeded "A very good idea my friend, but this time, we'll leave them out of it. We won't have more deaths of innocents. Today is the day we'll see either more darkness, or we'll see light." while he tried to put on his armor the best he could in the lil' boat.

While the Attica closed in, he shoved a knife into his boot, smiling. "You never know if it might come in handy, Wolf" he said, yet again in the Ancient Elven language. After that, he took his sword and staff, and sat in full attire, to show the pirates that he was a guard and that he wouldn't abandon his honor at any cost.

"May we die with honor, Draydis." he said in the normal Elven tongue, keeping to his native language.
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

"Tom, what is the rules of engagement for pirates?" A cruel smile was on his face. "They possibly have the princess in their control...would it be possible to challenge their captain for the rights to her?"

"Many good men died today, and the Magpie was lost. Hunter and I promised you all reward when we succeed. The deaths of our companions should not go in vain, and we are not yet defeated." He looked at all their faces, gathering their silent opinions. "The worst time to attack an animal is when they are backed into a corner and injured. We have yet to lose." He looked right at Tom. "Tom...if I challenge the captain, we could take the ship."
Last edited by Draydis Quinn D`Anorre on Thu Apr 22, 2004 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thrandil

Post by Thrandil »

"Wolf! You're not soaking up the fun on your own, you know! Try making it a two on two, 'cause if there's gonna be fighting, I'm there." Thran said in the common tongue.

After a moment of thought he continued "We could always do a trade. Tom, is there a code of conduct these pirates keep themselves to? Something that gives us a way to bend and get away safe, maybe. If there is, give me as much info as you have. I might have an idea.". With that, the wood elf just smiled.
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

Dray chuckled. "Very good my friend...a two on two it is then...we will give them our Elven fury!"

He then looked at Tom..."Yes, this is not your fight Tom, nor that of your crew...we will strive to make sure you all are safe." He gave Tom a sly look, "and of course, if we can arrange to take over their ship, then it will be all yours."
Thrandil

Post by Thrandil »

"Including cargo, except for any Elves, humans or other sentient beings that aren't animals." Thran added and nodded. "These will be taken into custody by us and we'll make sure they'll be safely returned home." he continued and fell silent afterward, taking a look at the Attica again.
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

Tom smiled over at the elves, but his smile was one of weary hopelessness. "No, there are no rules that govern pirates, mates. There may be a few rules for when they deal with each other, but nothing for us. They have no honor, no compassion, no patience, and no interest in your princess or her plight. All they truly cared about just sank with the Magpie."

Turning, Tom considered the rapidly approaching Attica, a broad, sharp vessel with two raked masts and a long rearward spar that held no sheet just now. Her deck was filled with well over a hundred peering faces, all unwashed and somehow disappointed, their eyes focused upon the dying Magpie as her masts leaned and slipped lower into the restless waters.

"Truth be told, lads, I'm not quite sure why she comes on even now. We've nothing they want now, and unless they've got some reason to ransom the two of you, well, it just don't make sense," he said, watching the pirates draw close. The Attica turned gracefully to circle the small launch, and upon coming into the wind on the southern side of them, it slowed to a halt and just hovered in place, it's sails set such that she might do just this as she drifted down to touch up against the launch. Two figures pushed their way to the front of the collected pirates aboard, one a massive, dark man with a rag tied over his scalp and the other a very well-dressed man with a glass in his hand. It was the well-dressed man that spoke first.

"Ahoy the boat! A fine day, Captain Tom. You'd best be bringin' your men aboard directly unless you relish the idea of dying in that wee gig..." barked the pirate Captain, his face severe and his brutal. All along the railing were the faces of veteran, battle-hardened pirates, each staring down at the wasted crew of the Magpie with open hatred and displeasure. To his crew the pirate captain shouted "Bring 'em aboard an clap 'em in irons, mates!"

Staring around the boat with uncertainty, the crew slowly began to climb up to join the pirates above, each one grabbed and chained in heavy iron manacles upon reaching the deck.
Thrandil

Post by Thrandil »

Thrandil raised himself and said "Ahoy Captain! You've given a good fight, just too bad that honor isn't written in the dictionaries you and your men can't read. For instance, why would attack us? We had no valuable cargo except two horses and two guardsmen who needed a ferry to World's Mouth. I'd pray the Gods to be with your ship." Thran said, turning his head to take a look at Dray, knowing how he feels about imprisonment.

"Alas, as you say, we'll board your boat. I don't want more innocents, that is Captain Tom and what's left of his crew, to die. You might as well tell your prisoners who you are, Captain Ragwitch. My earlobe has more masculinity in it than you have in your whole family, Sir (making it sound like c-u-r). Wolf, got anything to add? Maybe what you told about earlier?" Thran added, grinning.
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

Dray stood...his voice clear and loud. "It's mighty easy for you to make such commands when you are surrounded by your men...I'd be willing to make a wager that you are not nearly as tough when you are in single combat." Dray scanned the men that lined the deck above him. "I ask you all...I have challenged your captain and his first mate to a fight against myself and my companion" He motions to Thrandil. "Would you follow one who would back down from a challenge? Would you follow one who lacks the strength, ability, and guts to accept such a challenge? I say NAY! I say let him prove to you his might and the reason by which he should remain your captain!" Dray looked back at the captain. "Sir, I issue a challenge to the death to you and your first mate."
Thrandil

Post by Thrandil »

Thran looked at Dray, his grin turning into a broad wicked smile. "Indeed. To the death. If you win, we're yours. If we win, Captain Tom gets your boat with cargo, other prisoners will be given to my companion and me, your crew will go free." he added and looked at Dray before continuing. "Got anything to add, Wolf?" he asked his fellow guardsman.
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

"If you are half the man....half the captain that you think you are...standing there in your fancy clothes trying to make your men think you are better than them, then you will readily accept this challenge and prove to us and your crew that you are worthy of being their captain. Surely, as the captain, you and your first mate could easily dispatch a pair of elves. Surely you aren't afraid to show your might and ability to your crew. Surely we are crazy for issuing such a challenge. Prove us wrong. Prove you are more than a fop in fancy clothes playing pirate and flexing your non-existent muscles. PROVE YOU ARE NOT AFRAID!"

Dray then moved to board the ship...his bow and his staff in his hands.

Right as Dray was about to start boarding the pirate ship he stopped. "WAIT! I have a better idea. Sir, do you like gambling? I have a better idea for our challenge so nobody else has to die this day." Dray smiled and waited to make sure he had the captain's attention. "I propose a fight between Hunter and I, and you and your first mate. The fight is won by the first to inflict three wounds upon the other. Once a combatant has three wounds, they are out of the fight, and will be treated for their injuries. The combat is over when only one side remains." Dray looked at Thran to get his nod of approval. "Should you win, Hunter and I will submit to your leadership and join you as part of your crew. We have trained with the Emerald Guard, and would lend to your efforts the full capability of our skills not only in combat but also in training. Should we win, you will release your prisoners to our command, and you will give Tom and his crew the other riverboat you just captured. What say you?" Dray then stood firm, waiting for his answer.
Last edited by Draydis Quinn D`Anorre on Fri Apr 23, 2004 6:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

The broad-shouldered captain looked down into the boat with clear amusement and disdain. All along the large frigate, battle-hardened faces leered at the two elves, mirthful grins upon their faces. When the Captain spoke, it was with the kind of authority that could have easily lead armies, but he did not speak to either Dray or Thrandil. Instead he spoke to another well-dressed man standing a ways to stern near the tiller wheel.

"Mister Rames! We'll let the heroes be in their little boat and set sail on our port tack. Once we're clear of them, destroy the boat and send them all to hell. I'm curious to see just how long an Emerald Guard...whatever that might be...can swim," he said. Turning to the half-giant beside him, he continued. "Mister Spyer, if they try to board...kick them into the Mer. I'm sure they'll appreciate their fine armors when it's weight drags them down to their deaths."

Clearly a very commanding man, the crew wasted no time carrying out the Captains orders. Scores of sailors crawled up the rigging like so many clumsy spiders, and several boathooks already appeared to push the boat away or murder either of the elves if they should attempt to climb the treacherous, slick surface of the frigate to reach the deck far above their heads.

Finally, the cruel and harsh man spoke to the guardsmen, a broad smile split across his stern face as he waved down at them. "Farewell, elves. Too bad I'm not in more of a negotiating way, but I've already wasted more time with the both of you that you're really worth. If you'll not surrender quietly, then I've no real use for you. Good day, sirs!" he finished, his comments followed closely by a roar of laughter and glee from over a hundred pirates still collected alongside the vessel to witness the fate of the brave Emerald Guardsmen.
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

Dray looked at Thran with pain in his eyes. He muttered to his friend. "That man's death shall be quick once I escape." He then looked up at the captain. "You have it your way. I do not wish death upon these men...there has been enough blood shed this day. I will submit to your capture."
Thrandil

Post by Thrandil »

Thran dropped his weapons and sighed. "Alright. You've got us. Happy now? We'll submit. What's the use for more deaths when they aren't needed? What's the use of us being here anyway..." Thran said.

It has been of no use. They should've sent experienced men, and more than two. We'll never complete this mission. I'm gonna regret this moment sometime... not now, but soon. I'm sorry Elevie, I'm sorry Draesl, I'm sorry Mother and I'm sorry Elves. I did not as I was told... I regret my mere existance. I regret the day that I swore to do a task that didn't fit me. he thought as a few tears welled up in his eyes.
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

Dray looked at his friend and saw his face. He spoke in their native tongue in a low voice so only Thrandil would hear, "This is but a delay my friend. Trust me, I do not wish to be imprisoned any more than you. We will escape, and we will continue with our mission. We are in the hands of the Mother now...trust her." He smiled at his friend and then lowered his weapons as well.
Thrandil

Post by Thrandil »

"I do not trust anyone at the moment, except for my heart and you. So far, we've been backing up each other and that's how I want to keep it. Stay alive, my brother." Thran replied in their native tongue.
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

"BELAY! 'VAST THE SHEETS, THERE!" bellowed the Captain after the elves surrendered. His words brought the crew to a standstill again. Turning back to the elves, but he spoke to the half-giant. "Mister Spyer, you will accept them aboard. Take their weapons and their armors and what materials they have. Chain them in the orlop until I've a chance to deal with them. And bring the boat in tow as well..." turning, the Captain left the side of the ship, but his voice could still be heard barking orders as he withdrew to the rear of the massive vessel out of sight. "And ready the deck for a funeral! We bury the dead at four bells in the Tradetide watch..."

Directly above them, the massive Mister Spyer reached down to take up their weapons first and help them all aboard second. His was a strength that could not be refused, for he stood some eight feet in height, with each arm easily as thick as the elves' chest. He could easily lift them aboard with but one hand, armor and all. "Never you fear, lads. Captain Ryelock, he's a good host. He'll probably just put you ashore a little later, if you'd care to go."

Despite the Captain's withdrawal and the giant's confident words, the leering pirates did not leave, their boat hooks still in hand as they eyed the elves with suspicion. Given a few moments to observe them, a couple elven faces could be seen among the pirates as well, faces that stared down with the same amused curiosity as their human shipmates.
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

Dray offered no resistance as he was brought on board or led to the place that would be his prison. He freely surrendered his weapons and armor. ~all of you and your families will suffer for this~

Dray gave the humans no second glance, but scowled at the elves he saw. As he passed by one of them, he growled in elven, "you are no brother of mine...may Mother smite you and your fellow fallen elves." His words were sharp and cold. They were daggers which bore into their target. ~Your teeth will be added to my collection...fitting to be memorialized beside my orc trophies.~ His eyes fixed on the elf for a moment, piercing through the other's spirit with his cold blue eyes. ~You will beg for life and I will deny you. You will cry a tear when you think of losing your family, and I will laugh. You will struggle for a final breath of air, and I will cut it short. You will look at me with your final moments of sight, and you will eternally wish you had not crossed me. You will die, and I will piss upon your body.~

The elf was clearly bitter, and full of hatred. He could feel his heart racing...adrenaline was coursing through his veins. An inner rage was building, but it was in check for now. The thought of being a prisoner did not settle well with Draydis, and he was on the verge of breaking. Only the thought of the princess potentially being on board the ship kept him in line. ~If I die now, there will be no helping her at all.~ He continued to hold his desires to fight back, and did as he was directed, without resistance.

Dray looked over at Thran to make sure he was unharmed. His friend could easily tell that the guardsman was entirely displeased with the situation. The wood elf gave his friend a simple nod, but did not speak.

Dray then looked inside himself to calm his nerves.

While being led along the deck of the boat, Dray made careful note of the layout of the deck, weapons carried by the pirates, their armor, the location of the catapult, defensive positions available, the location of the main sail's ropes, the location of the rudderwheel, weapon lockers present, and so on.

He was already starting to plot their escape and destruction of the ship. ~Fire...the great equalizer...~ A cruel smirk crossed his face as he imagined the chorus of screams of pain and terror from these pirates who would now mock them with their laughter. Dray looked about at the pirates, and internalized the words he so much wanted to yell to them all, ~Your laughs will be replaced with cries for mercy. You smile now, but you just brought death incarnate upon your vessel. I am the messenger of death, and you will not survive.~ His thoughts again turned to the means of their destruction. ~We can't win in a fight against so many, but flames don't care about their numbers. We will burn this ship to ashes and slaughter the rest. A merry tune will be carried upon the crackling of the fire as it burns the timbers and destroys their flesh. A song will be sung as the embers of your corpses smoulder and extinguish themselves in the waters which will be your eternal grave.~ Evil thoughts were starting to form as crude plans in his mind.

~We will not fail this mission...we MUST succeed. I can't let another perish in the hands of an enemy when I still breathe.~ Dray took one last look at Thran and nodded again...a plan was in place.
Last edited by Draydis Quinn D`Anorre on Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

The elves were stripped of their weapons and armor, and much of their personal belongings as well. Left in only the underlying uniforms of their order, they were lead down into the deep bowels of the ship, down and down until they reached areas infested with rats, stench, and the perpetual gloom of darkness. They wee taken to a small, triangular room that clearly conformed to the outside of the ship, a room located well under the waterline and up at the very fore of the ship. Massive beams that held the hull in shape ran at an outward angle, beams that earned the name 'diagnal riders' due to their curious appearance from within.

Draydis had some difficulty recognizing any real military equipment aboard the ship. While he did see an arms locker, it was filled with barrels of olive oil instead of weapons, and during his long decent down into the darkness of the ship's interior, he managed to estimate over three hundred pirates, each armed and wearing enough jewelry to prove that they had been successful. It seemed an impregnable force to meet.

The forward locker would be their home for now. Dragged along by strong, careless hands, they found themselves thrust into a small, triangular room in which two sides made up the forward angle of the ship's hull. The side through witch they entered was another wooden bulkhead, but this one was cased in iron along with the decks both above and below. It had all appearances of a dank, dark prison.

And they did not find themselves alone, either. There were more than a dozen souls already languishing in the lockers, each wearing a set of manacles like the two elves and each dirty and unkept in appearance. Tom was among them, though he sat off silently to himself, his eyes closed as he were in quiet contemplation or prayer. Once the elves had been tossed within among these other prisoners, the hatch behind them was thrown shut and bolted with a heavy screech of sliding iron.

"Aye, here's the heroes now," muttered one of the prisoners, a large man wearing no shirt and displaying countless lash scars upon his back. He clearly was no stranger to pain. "Name's William Block, but you can both call me Chips. If you call me William, I'll crack yer skull in. Fair enough?" he finished, a gapped, dirty grin peering out at the elves through the darkness.
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

Dray decided to not bother Tom in his quiet contemplation. When William spoke up, Dray simply ignored him. Numerous insults immediately sprang to mind, but there was no sense in starting a fight with a fellow prisoner. He instead looked at the shackles that bound his hands. He tried to twist his hands free and looked around the room for something with which they could alternatively be broken. In elvish he spoke to thrandil, "we must break free...make sure all the innocents are free from this ship....and burn it to the water." Dray tried his best to remember which of the men present in the room were members of the Magpie's crew.

Return to “On the Water Archive”