Enterance Thread for Galliban Tyren

Moderator: Mods

Galliban Tyren
Tazlure Supporter

Enterance Thread for Galliban Tyren

Post by Galliban Tyren »

The soft brush of the salty air finally wakes you up. There is sand between your fingers. A beach! The rushing sound of the gentle waves breaking a few yards from where you lay sprawled on the sand confirms your suspicions. Your mind is empty and you have absolutely no clue how you landed here.

As you look around you see the beach is empty. In the distance some gigantic crabs scurry away. Your eyes kid you not, they are indeed as big as pigs, with vicious claws to match. But they seem more scared of you than you are of them.

In between the gentle dunes, with fair tops of waving seagrass, that mark the end of the beach you notice a small path. At the beginning of the path you see several items on the ground, shining metal sparkling in the sunlight. A small awkwardly written notice says

"Please leave all weapons here. Beyond this point the gods will provide."
"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear."- Mark Twain
Galliban Tyren
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Galliban Tyren »

As the breeze caressed her cheek, Galliban opened her eyes slowly. She felt sand on the back of her neck and heard waves crashing nearby. She blinked a few times, wondering if she was really awake. She propped herself up on her elbows and looked around. Her last memory was of going to sleep on the merchant's ship she had bought passage on. Now she was on a beach. Had the ship sank? Had she floated to shore?

Galliban carefully stood up in the sand and turned toward the ocean. She looked around the beach and at the water.

No debris... the ship could not have sank close to shore. If it sank out to sea, I would have drowned. Where am I?

She turned around to see the notice.

"Please leave all weapons here. Beyond this point the gods will provide." What does that mean? No, it cannot be... Oracle's Isle?

Galliban watched as the giant crabs scurried along. It was still hard to believe where she was. She looked down to see her satchel lying undamaged next to the spot where she had woken up. It was almost as if someone had purposely put her on the beach. Galliban shook her head. It didn't make much sense. She just supposed that it didn't really matter. She was where she wanted to be.

Galliban picked up her satchel and slung it over her shoulder. The bag wasn't heavy. It contained only an extra set of clothes and some essentials. She carried no weapons, so there was nothing to leave behind. Galliban started to make her way down the path.
"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear."- Mark Twain
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

As Galliban walked up the path many before had trod, she passed by the same large fields. In the distance there were well tended fields, replete with crops gently swaying in the mild breeze that swept the Isle. Although she could see people working, she like those before her, felt herself drawn along the path, and could not veer away to investigate these fields, or the attendant farmers.

Soon she found herself approaching a collection of white buildings. The path ended on a dusty square, in front of what was clearly the centrepiece of the settlement, if one could call it that. The entrance, marked by two huge marble pillars, had no doors, only a deep, inviting darkness, that pulled at her very soul to enter, in fact Galliban found the pull of the entrance almost unbearable.

OOC: Edited once 'cause your GM is an idiot who didn't read his post carefully before submitting it :oops:
Last edited by rhoddin on Mon May 10, 2004 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Galliban Tyren
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Galliban Tyren »

Galliban stopped in her tracks and stared into the darkness, trying to see past it. Her attempts were in vain, however. She looked around and examined the pillars from where she stood. She guessed that the pillars served as markers for an entrance. Galliban started down the path again as curiousity overrode caution. It was almost as if her feet had a will all their own. She might not have been able to stop if she had wanted to, but she didn't want to. There was something drawing her inside, something that did not feel evil, so she continued on. Galliban took a deep breath as she stepped into the darkness and past the pillars.
Last edited by Galliban Tyren on Thu May 06, 2004 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

As Galliban stepped into the hall her eyes were drawn to the middle of the temple, where light fell in through the roof. There was a pool right under it, sparkling in the sunlight.

As her eyes adjusted to the darkness she saw four small channels run away from the pool, where overflow water would be easily drained.

At the far end of the pool a large decorative construction hung over the pool, almost like an aquaduct. Darker in colour than the rest of the stone, there was a suggestion that water flowed regularly from its top, about ten metres high.

But not now. Everything was quiet, hushed, waiting....
Galliban Tyren
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Galliban Tyren »

Galliban walked slowly towards the pool, looking around the room as she did so. The water was so beautiful, clear and pure. The atmosphere had an odd but inviting feel, and she felt a sense of awe that she could not explain. She stood in silence for a moment, taking in all around her, all the while unable to shake the feeling that she wasn't alone.
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

As she appraoched the pool, and Gallibran's eyes adjusted to the light further, she noted the blue mosaic tiles that lined the pool, swirling in geographic forms beneath the surface of the still water.

The water was probably about half a human's height, making it comfortable for bathing, althought the solemn atmoshpere hardly seemed to set an environment for such an endoevour.

Feeling the warmth of the wan sun on her face, Galliban heard a gurgling sound, and within seconds water streamed down from the decorative structure with such force as to create a strong waterfall. The rush of sound filled her ears and it was as if just beyond her capability of hearing a thousand voices filled her head.
Galliban Tyren
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Galliban Tyren »

Galliban was greatly surprised by the force of the water and jumped back instinctively. Cool droplets of water splashed against her face as she looked at the rushing water in awe. The white noise, though loud, seemed both serene and wrathful, the nature of the sound itself not quite clear to her yet. Galliban wondered about the purpose of the structure and who would have built such a thing.
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

As the waters of the pool calmed, if Gallibran chose to look around the room and she would notice a woman in a simple white robe standing to the right. Had she been there before? The woman was old and slightly bend, wrinkles cracking up her coarse face. Certainly she was no beauty. Yet she waited serenely, peace radiating from her face and her hands folded in front of her.

When she saw that the young woman had noticed her she smiled. She spoke in a solid but gentle manner, as if performing a ritual she had participated in many times before.

"Blesseth are the new. The gods talk to you, daughter. Are you ready to learn how to listen?"
Galliban Tyren
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Galliban Tyren »

Galliban looked at the old woman as she spoke. Her presence certainly explain the feeling of being watched that she had felt before. The woman looked only as a crone on the outside, but Galliban had learned long before to judge no one solely on their physical appearance. This woman had a sage-like air about her, as if she knew much more than long years could teach. She had a comforting presence, instilling some tranquility in Galliban. As the woman stopped speaking, Galliban thought for a moment before replying. Was she really ready to stand before Illuminatus and ask if she may know his blessings and wield a sword in his name? Truly, she did not know, but it was too late to turn back and she would wait no longer to reply to the call that she had heard since childhood.

"I am ready." Galliban said finally, firmly and confidently. Her words were in the language she felt most comfortable in, Elvish.

OOC: I would also like to add here that there was a mix up in my skills. I wanted Elvish at Master and Human at Basic, but I got it the other way around. I already asked about it, but no one has gotten around to it yet. Could you possibly fix this?
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

The old lady bowed her head for a moment, whether in recognition, or deliberation it was hard to know.

When she raised it again clear grey eyes stared out at Galliban, eyes that seemed to strike to the very core of her soul. Not that you would call them predatory or dangerous, just knowing with the knowledge of ages behind them.

"I can see you are ready to listern to daughter. Cast off your mortal garments and enter the pool of the Oracle. Call to your god and let them speak too you, listern to what they have to say, and be prepared to listern." Her statement had the sound of ritual, like so much that Galliban had already expereinced in her first few burns on Oracles Isle. And as Galliban suddenly realised it was spoken in faultless Elvish.

For such an old frail looking woman, her voice had a resonance that filled the chamber.

OOC: Galliban this is your invitation, I know you have already decided your choice of diety, and this is the opportunity to announce it to the Isle.

Oh and you have master level Elvish, and basic Elvish Literacy. And the gods have bestowed a small surprise on you, apprentice level human.
Last edited by rhoddin on Thu May 13, 2004 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Galliban Tyren
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Galliban Tyren »

Galliban nodded slowly to the woman. She had to admit to herself that she felt a bit uncomfortable about undressing. Of course, the young half-elf had nothing of which to be ashamed. She was trim and in excellent physical condition, her skin smooth and flawless. Galliban, however, could not help but show some humility, though she was hardly a shy person. Still, she didn't seem to be too embarassed. Afterall, the only person observing her was an old woman, and Galliban knew that her body was a gift of the gods and not something of which to be ashamed. She put down her pack and quietly took off each piece of clothing, one at a time. First, she removed her cloak, then her shirt. She let both pieces of clothing drop to the floor before taking off her boots and pushing them to the side, then unbuckling her belt and removing her leggings and undergarments.

Without further hesitation, she came forward and stepped inside the pool. The water felt pleasant against her skin and she waded to the center. Galliban stood tall and closed her eyes, quieting her mind. She wasn't sure exactly what to say, she hadn't planned this out in advance. All she could do was speak from the heart.

"Illuminatus, I stand before You vunerable and ready to accept whatever fate is mine. God of Light, Your great wisdom and holy guidance do I request. I am ready to enter Your service." Galliban said aloud. Her prayer was short, but her words passionate. Normally, she was not the type to openly express her emotions, but nothing could she hide before Illuminatus.

OOC: Thank you very much.
Last edited by Galliban Tyren on Thu May 13, 2004 2:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

As Galliban stood in the waist deep water, she seemed to be surrounded by a glowing light which gradually increased in intensity until she seemed to be infused with the brilliance of the light.

A perfect pure cylinder of light folded around her, as she began to feel something swirl through her very essence.
Galliban Tyren
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Galliban Tyren »

Galliban opened her eyes as the light intensified. It was brilliant and awe-inspiring. It was as if she was seeing light for the first time. It was so bright, but it did not blind her as looking directly at the sun might have. It took a moment for her to realize that she had been holding her breath though her mouth was open. She took a deep breath as the cylinder formed around her and she felt the light enter her soul. Standing there, naked, waist deep in water, in a place new and strange to her; Galliban felt the most comfortable, and also the most reverant, that she had ever been. She remembered what the old woman had told her, and so she listened with her ears and heart.
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

As the light intensifies and Galliban felt her soul enfolded in the light, a single note seems to hum through her ears, soft and pure, it seems in harmony with the light. The light which had previously infused her body now seems to be forming a wall around her, a perfect circle, just out of reach if she stretched her arms out to each side.

To hum, or not to hum ...
Galliban Tyren
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Galliban Tyren »

Galliban listened to the note that came into her mind. It was just a single note, but it seemed to be in harmony with itself, if that was possible. In and of itself, it was beautiful and wonderful. It seemed to have interwoven itself with the light. Galliban might not have been able to describe the union at that time, though she never would have tried. At that point, there was no logic. There was no past and no future. She lived only for the moment, and every second seemed as an eternity. The sound of the note compelled her to hum, and she did not fight it. Galliban began to hum softly, her voice harmonizing completely with the single sound.
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

As her humming came into tune with the sound surrounding her, the curtain of light seemed to fall, leaving the young half breed standing in a circle of white, a residual of the earlier light.

Standing across from her was a vaguely humanoid (or elfoid if you prefer) shape, seemingly clothed in a shimmering white light. The features where impossible to make out, but a sense of power and age emanated from the entity as it surveyed Galliban.
Galliban Tyren
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Galliban Tyren »

Galliban could not believe her eyes. She stood silent for a moment, awe-stricken.

Can it be? Am I dreaming?

It took the half-elf a few seconds before she realized that she wasn't breathing again. She was in shock. Many in the world devoutly worshipped a patron god or goddess of the Forces of Light, but few ever had the highest honor of actually appearing before them. Galliban took a deep breath. She didn't know what to say, or how to say it.

"Illuminatus?" she said finally.
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

OOC: oops sorry about the delay

IC: In the back of Gallibans mind she heard a soft chuckle, as if someone was amused, but just out of clear hearing range.

Indeed that is how I am known. Illuminatus is my name. Why do you seek me out child? I heard your call from the sacred pool on Oracles Isle.

What do you seek of me?
The embodiment had no mouth, and it seemed to be communicating directly with her mind, but Galliban could discern Illuminatus' voice as clearly as if it were the spoken word.
Galliban Tyren
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Galliban Tyren »

The voice of Illuminatus seemed to Galliban to be the sweetest sound in the world. But it was not a sound. He had spoken no word, but she had heard Him clear as the light of dawn. Perhaps it was because she no longer was listening with her ears, but rather with her heart. Never could she have imagined this experience. The god she had worshipped all her life, a being beyond mortal comprehension, now spoke to her in a manner more fitting of a teacher speaking to a pupil.

"I seek Your divine guidance. I wish to delve deep into Your teachings so that I may have greater wisdom. I wish to use this wisdom to better the world. I wish to defend this wisdom and all of Your teachings by becoming a paladin in Your most holy service. All I would ask of You now is Your blessing." Galliban said in a respectful tone, but with great resolve. Her words weren't very prolific, but they were all she could think to say.
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

Again from within her own mind Galliban heard Illuminatus' response. Noble ambitions my child. Noble indeed.

Those who seek my service are always welcome.

Had you considered what your life as a paladin might be like. Many see the glitter, but not all that glitters is gold. Have you considered the choice you make?

The ill defined entity before her seemed to tip it's head, almost birdlike, but much too grand for a bird.
Galliban Tyren
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Galliban Tyren »

"I have considered it for many long years. Though the life of a paladin might be one of unending effort, with very little recognition or material wealth and a life that perhaps might end in an untimely death, it is still what I desire. Does not everyone have a role to fill in this world? If this is the role that I have been chosen to fill, I will accept it gladly and without regret." Galliban replied in a bold but yet respectful tone. Her words were unwavering, and it would most likely be clear by her tone that she had not come to this decision in haste.
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

A barely discernible nod of it's head was the only indication that the entity before had heard her words, Consider also that there are long periods of inactivity, and that the life of a paladin is not all glamour and devotion.

But still, I am glad you seek my service. Waht do you expect to gain from your time on the Isle? Many have come this far, but they find this not always what they expect.

The questions might have seemed odd, but her god seemed to want Galliban to articulate her goals here on the Isle, surely a god must know this already?
Galliban Tyren
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Galliban Tyren »

"A reason to live besides life itself. Something for which I could die willingly. Does one who has nothing to die for truly have a reason to live? What is the purpose of the how if it has no why?" Galliban replied. She almost continued to speak, but she stopped herself from doing so. She thought herself too bold at that moment and perceived her words as too aimless. She had drifted off for a moment to another state of mind, almost forgetting the incredible situation at hand. "Forgive me. My thoughts have wandered," she said after a moment, then paused. She appeared to be pensive for a moment, then opened her mouth and spoke again.

"Perhaps it is knowledge that I seek most of all here."
rhoddin

Post by rhoddin »

The entity before Galliban seemed to glow a little brighter, as if more nergy had been thrown on an etherial fire.

Indeed the burden of knowledge is one that offers no weight, but is sometimes harder to bear than a load of the heaviest stone.

But for those who seek knowledge the Isle is oft the best place to find it. But what knowledge do you seek child, knowledge of Me, or life in general, of the gods as a whole, or simply the god you chose to follow?

For on the Isle one can find all types of knowledge, but beware with some knowledge comes responsiblilty and maybe even danger.

It was the longest speech the entity known as Illuminatus had made to a mortal for some time, and it was silent again awaiting the young mortal before it to formulate a response.

Return to “Oracle's Isle archives (old)”