Enterance Thread for Galliban Tyren

Moderator: Mods

Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

"All right then, first lesson." One thump later, Galliban could admire the nice sky above her. "The first lesson is: as a paladin of Illuminatus, always be on guard. It's a cliché the size of a greater dragon, I know, but it's one our paladins seldom learn. Darkness will not warn you before ripping out your hart, nor will it 'play by the rules'. Besides, you look in pretty good shape, so I figured I could better wear you down a bit more." She reached out to help her up.

"The second lesson: help those with you, and allow yourself to be helped by others. Two fighters back-to-back are worth more than three individuals.

That brings us to the last lesson of today. As you see, I am, just like you, a woman. The Mother has gifted men with more muscles, which makes them stronger and hence better in the brutal art of sword fighting, according to some. The truth is, however, that sword fighting is not a brutal business, it is more of an art. What we lack in raw muscle, we can compensate by means of finesse.

The reason why I am the teacher in this course is that I am one of the best sword fighters in our order. Whereas when it comes to strength, and by that I mean muscular, not mental strength, I wouldn't rank higher than some of our more robust novices.

The trick is balance. That's the one and only great secret of sword fighting. When one is aware of one's center, a little disruption in balance can be easily compensated. Moreover, a slight disruption in balance, and most men who consider sword fighting a brutal thing are prone to more than a slight disruption, can be used for your own ends. Your opponent may be stronger than you, but if you manage to use that very strength against him or her, it won't be of much use.

Hence, the first exercise: balance. You see that rail at the edge of the terrace? I advise you to take off your clothes and other belongings, except for your sword. it will make things easier. Don't worry, there's nobody going to take advantage of the view. Anyway, that wooden blade hardly looks deadly, it's balance is that of a real blade. Then go and stand on the rail, your sword in one of your hands, or both. You may choose how long you will stay, you are your own judge when it comes to when you have learned enough. Off course, I'm not going to wait here nor am I going to entertain you with more conversation. I see you later."

Not wasting any more time, the woman left the terrace, leaving Galliban on her own.
Verum et factum convertuntur.
Avatar by the Artist Currently Known as Eira.
Galliban Tyren
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Galliban Tyren »

Galliban watched as the instructor walk away and leave Galliban by herself. She found this suggestion of being naked to be a bit odd. One would hardly have the advantage of the negation of the unbalancing effects of clothing in a situation where one must wield a sword. In her mind, it would be better, even if more difficult, to practice balancing with clothing. There was also the nakedness itself to consider. While she had disrobed earlier to step into the pool, that was not exactly the same situation. She was naked in front of only an old woman and Illuminatus. Upon the terrace, she was in plain sight. The instructor had said that no one would "take advantage of the view", but that didn't make Galliban feel anymore comfortable. It was true that she wasn't ashamed of her body, per se, but she was certainly no Panling.

Galliban took off only her cloak and gloves, then made her attempt to mount the rail. It was a fortunate thing that she was not afraid of heights, but she was careful nonetheless. She held the sword in the hand on the side of the terrace itself. If she would have to fall, at least she would be more like to fall onto the terrace, as opposed to off of it.
"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear."- Mark Twain
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

After falling on the terrace two or three times, Galliban started to understand the finesse of the seemingly simple assignment. It was indeed a frightening thought to fall down all the way to the garden ground, though it wouldn't be a mortal fall for sure. Yet this discomfort caused her to fall down on the terrace at the slightest disruption in her balance, overcompensating any movement towards the side of the garden.

Though she noticed she got better and better at it, the duration of her actual stay on the rail becoming longer and longer, it was also clear that she did not feel comfortable at all, nor that she would be able to be flexible under these conditions.

Though there was a rather chilly wind, she felt pearls of sweat on her forehead, her body being heated by focus. The sun was nearly gone, and there was nobody in the garden or on the terrace, resulting in a pretty desolate atmosphere. Even the birds and the wind seemed to quieten, but this was perhaps due to Galliban's concentration.
Galliban Tyren
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Galliban Tyren »

Galliban tried as hard as she could to concentrate and stay calm. She held the wooden sword out in front of her with both hands and maintained a straight, forward gaze. She closed her eyes and exhaled slowly. She tried to imagine her body as split in half with both sides being of equal weight, like a balanced scale. She breathed evenly and tried to block out everything else around her.
"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear."- Mark Twain
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

As she tried to lock out the external world, she indeed became more in balance. She stood there, the cold wind stroking her armpits with it's chilly tongues. Now and then she lost her balance, but with some arm waving, she was able to restore it time after time. Upon blinking, she noticed her weight was a lot more on the side of the garden than before.

In the mean while, night had come. Because Galliban was suffering from the cold, the light that fell through the window in the door that led to the terrace looked all the more warm and inviting. The question was off course how long she had to keep this up before the teacher would consider the exercise a success.
Galliban Tyren
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Galliban Tyren »

Galliban was really beginning to feel the cold. She thought about how the other students were probably inside, warm and eating their evening meal. She also thought of the instructor and wondered if she had accomplished the task according to the instructor's standards.

Galliban came to realize that it wasn't the teacher's standards that really mattered to her, it was her own standards. While it was true that her effort was partially due to her will to better herself to serve Illuminatus, her efforts were also due the fact that she was very proud. She wanted to due better, not just for herself, but for the instructor and fo Illuminatus.

Galliban stepped down from the rail and picked up her cloak. She put it back on and pulled on her gloves, then picked up the wooden sword and climbed back up onto the rail. She tried to shut out the cold and resume her concentration.
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

The reasons why the swordmistress had advised her to strip became more apparent, as the wind got a better hold on her now, because it increased in velocity but also because her cloths, especially the cloak were apparently the ideal dwellings for a chilly wind.

Amazingly, she managed to stay on the rail, even though the exercise had greatly increased in difficulty. She was able now to make abstraction of her balance, and she started to get skilled in adjusting small changes.

Then, a sudden gust of wind blew her right off the rail as were she an autumn leave. She fell down to the side of the garden, face first. The ground seemed to approach her at great speed, a thrilling sight indeed. All of a sudden, it felt like somebody pinched her cheeks that were bitten by the cold.

The net was rather elastic, following the direction of Galliban's fall for half a flicker, then compensating by throwing her up in the air again, and this process repeated itself several times before the net no longer moved, as if it were a comfy hammock. She saw her wooden sword dangling next to her. It hadn't slipped through the meshes apparently.

As the effects of death terror wore off, Galliban could see there was a terrace on this level too. The door to the building was open. Behind it, her teacher was sitting in a comfy chair with a nice, warm coat. "I knew you'd do well, you looked like a tough one. Though I'm a bit disappointed that you kept the cloths on." She smiled, while putting her book down. "Now then, what have we learned?" She seemed more relaxed, at ease and, well just nicer. She didn't yell. That definitely helped.
Galliban Tyren
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Galliban Tyren »

"We have learned to always listen to one's instructor, and also to never attempt to balance oneself upon a rail during a cold night when the wind blows." Galliban replied in a neutral, stoic tone.

Did I just speak a jest? Perhaps I was more shaken by this experience then I had assumed.

"I apologize, ma'am. That was inappropriate of me to say," Galliban said as she sat up in the net as best she could. "I, for one, have learned that just as important as balance is adaptability and flexibility. Though one may be able to accomplish a certain task under certain circumstances, perhaps favorable ones, one may not be able to do so under different circumstances. Therefore, one must learn to adapt one's circumstances, whatever they happen to be." she continued.
Last edited by Galliban Tyren on Fri Jul 09, 2004 12:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

The woman laughed out loud. "Nah, you're excused. I like your pith. It's a fiendish test, put a useful one, both for you and me, to learn about you.
The thing is, believe it or not, you fell down in the net on the perfect moment. Too quick hadn't been good, for it would have meant you are terribly unbalanced. Too late wouldn't have been good either, for it would have implied that you are not willing to risk danger. Your timing was very good indeed."

She put her book on a little side table. "I see you don't need this" she said, while showing her a warm cloak just like the one she was wearing herself. "May I ask why you did not only keep your cloths, but even your clumsy coat on?"

"That what you say about flexibility and adaption is indeed true, but perhaps you aim to high for a first lesson. Even when you master this little exercise fully, you can start training all over as soon as you're given your paladin's plate and sword, for it will become a thousand times harder then. Leave alone to maintain your balance in actual combat. Yet the basics remain the same, and that skill can be acquired through this way. Off course, there's no real need to do it on the second floor, but hey, there has to be some fun in it for us too."

"Come, have a seat here. Do you want some hot tea to warm yourself, Galliban?" She paused. "We've discussed your case, and I have been appointed as your mentor, poor child." She grinned "That means that, apart from sword fighting and demonology, which I teach all our novices, I will help you on a more personal level, and you are supposed to address me first about any problems you might stumble upon during your training."

"Most of our fellow religious have gone to sleep already, as they mostly do when the sun had gone. I am more of a night owl myself. Mind you, we get up at sunrise every day, in any case. I have taken the liberty to postpone your participation in the chores to tomorrow, for I figured you deserve a warm bath tonight. How does that sound to you?"
Galliban Tyren
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Galliban Tyren »

"Perhaps I find open nudity to be a bit brazen, or perhaps I simply have my own... insecurities on which I must work," Galliban replied to the instructor's first question. When she invited Galliban to have a seat, Galliban climbed out of the net and sat down beside her. She listened to her talk and said no word. In truth, Galliban was glad that this woman had been chosen to be her mentor. It seemed to be a good fit. "I would like that very much indeed." Galliban said after the instructor had finished speaking, referring to the warm bath.
Last edited by Galliban Tyren on Fri Jul 09, 2004 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

"Ok, I'll show you where and how then." They left the personal quarters of Helen, took a staircase up, and after yet another series of doors they arrived at the dormitory door. "Shht," said Helen. She opened the door. The room was dark, for the other novices were already asleep.

Helen tip-toed to the door of the female bathroom. She took the night lantern and lit the lights. The room was a bit more luxurious than one would expect from a monastery; there were several big bath tubs of polished white marble, the floors were made out of cork, to keep frail feet nicely warm. There was a hearth in the corner in the room to heat the stones. In no time, Helen got the glowing remainders of a fire fully alive again. She took pair of pincers and put several of the stones in the fire.

Then, she went to one of the tubs, opened a hatch, and immediately cold water streamed in the tub. A few burns later, she put the now hot stones in the water, which welcomed them with a loud, steamy hissing. "Never leave the stones too long in the fire, or they might explode. And please don't get used to this service, for I'm only showing you once." She winked. "Right, Galliban, there you can find the sponges, soap and towels" she said, showing her a little cupboard. "After use, please put the towels you use in that basket. Do you have any more questions for now?"
Galliban Tyren
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Galliban Tyren »

"No, not for now. Thank you." Galliban replied. When Helen had left, Galliban moved quietly back into the dormitories and retrieved her satchel. She would obviously need clean clothes to wear after taking a bath. She went back into the bathroom, trying not to wake anyone as she went, and lay the satchel down next to the tub. Galliban then walked over to the cupboard, took a bar of soap, a sponge, and a towel from it and closed it back up. She put these things on the side of the tub then disrobed and climbed into the water.

Galliban greatly enjoyed the feel of the warm water as it soothed her muscles. It had been a while since she had enjoyed a bath in such a fine and spacious tub. She was glad also that she was finally getting some time to relax and took her time in washing herself.

When Galliban finished, she dried herself with the towel, put on a cotton chemise, and combed her hair. Galliban put the towel in the basket and cleaned up. While she had a few minutes to herself, she put all of her possessions into her wooden chest. She carried the chest into the dormitories and put the chest on the floor at the end of one of the empty beds. With that done, it was finally time to get some sleep. Galliban crawled into the bed and promptly fell asleep.
Last edited by Galliban Tyren on Sat Jul 10, 2004 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

Seemingly flickers after putting down her head, Galliban woke up, being shaken by one of her fellow novices. "Wake up, the service is about to begin."

Upon opening her eyes, she could see a white robe hanging over her bed. Apparently paladins on the one hand and priests, monks and nuns on the other hand had different designs of clothing. That of the paladins was not as long and heavy, probably to allow more liberty of movement. Closer inspection revealed fine silver threading, and a small emblem showing a little candle flame on the inside of the collar.

"Come on, get dressed and hurry to the temple!"
Galliban Tyren
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Galliban Tyren »

It took a moment after waking for the words of the novice to sink in. Galliban sat up quickly in bed and looked up at the one who had awoken her.

"By Pan's hooves, has the morningtide come already?" she said to the novice. "Thank you for waking me!" she exclaimed. She stood up swiftly then started to get dressed. Galliban had never gotten dressed with such speed in her life. She did not want to miss any part of the service, especially because it was her first full day on Oracle's Isle. She tried to remember how to get to the temple from her location, and she was pretty sure she knew where to go. In any case, she was going to follow the novice who had awoken her.
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

By the time she and her wake up call arrived at the temple, the service had started, but only flickers ago, as many people were still finding a seat.

All present were seated on the floor, perhaps about fifty members of clergy, maybe a few more. All these white robes were seated on the floor. Those higher in rank, distinguishable by subtle details in their clothing, formed the inner circle. Galliban noticed Helen and Govard there, as well as others she hadn't met.

Those lower in rank were seated behind them. This was apparently not a strict, formal system, as nobody told Galliban where to sit down. The few visitors of the early morning service didn't sit down, and stayed on a respectable distance of the circle.

"...Earth and the Father of the Heavens," spoke the man that was leading the ceremony. He held a bowl of dark earth and a jug with water, and emptied some of the water in the soil. He held the bowl above his head, and showed it to the full circle. "Then Illuminatus, The Light One, brought his Light, and with it his fruit, that of the trees and of the mind. Let it shine upon us, and drive away the darkness."

"Let it shine upon us, and drive away the darkness," responded the crowd. The priest lit a candle, maybe a bit of a weak symbol amidst the hundreds of candles already burning in the temple, and planted it in the soil, putting it on the floor.

"Let us welcome Galliban Tyren to our congregation, she has seen the Pool only yesterday. Please stand up, Galliban, and tell us what you saw and heard, so that we may learn from your experience. Feel free to use any of the greater languages." The pries sat down.

(OOC: The ceremony was held in Human until now.)
Last edited by Finodborn on Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Galliban Tyren
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Galliban Tyren »

Galliban found a seat as quickly as she could. She noticed the ones of higher rank forming the inner circle on the floor, and from that deduced that her place was behind them. She sat down amidst the other novices and looked immeadiately to the priest who was leading the ceremony. She listened intently and in silence until she heard her name said by the priest. Galliban did feel a little self-conscious about standing up and speaking in front of all of those people, but she still stood up as per the priest's request. She bowed her head respectfully to the priest before she spoke.

"Thank you for your welcome. I am most honored to be a part of this congregation," Galliban said in Elvish, that being the language with which she was most comfortable. "My experience yesterday was... a beautiful thing. I felt closer to Illuminatus than I had ever felt before. I entered His residence, a great circular plaza of white flagstones with tall pillars of flawless alabaster. I witnessed His light undimmed. I saw Him with my own eyes, a divine and pure figure of light, and my faith attained a level I never thought possible," she continued, her words passionate but still composed. Her manner seemed very introspective, as if she was reaching deeply into her mind and soul to recall the experience. "The Light One spoke to me as I stood before Him. When He asked after my intentions, and if I understood the path I was to undertake. He asked me what I expected to gain. He spoke to me of the value and burden of knowledge, and of the importance of wisdom. He told me that the seeking of knowledge was a noble thing, but one must also seek the wisdom which will guide them to use that knowledge in a noble way. Illuminatus has too often witnessed the ravages of the educated barbarian." Galliban finished.
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

"We thank Galliban for sharing her experience with us. Let us then proceed to the ceremony of light." All present started giving notes to those before them, finally ending up in an obsidian pot in the centre of the circle. This took quite a while.

"May our prayers be answered" said the priest. He put the notes on fire with the ritual candle. The fire didn't rage for long. He cooled the ashes down with some water. poured the rest of the jug in a crystal bowl, equal in size to the obsidian one.

"All may gather now." The people from the back came first now, taking some of the wet ashes, rubbing it in the palms of their hands, then cleansing them in the water. "Let it shine upon us and drive away the darkness."

Galliban's neighbor prodded her with her elbow when she stood up. "It's our turn now."
Galliban Tyren
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Galliban Tyren »

Galliban nodded to the novice and followed her up to the front. When her turn came, she did the same thing as the others had. She took some of the wet ashes, rubbed the substance against her palms, then washed her hands in the water in the crystal bowl.

The ceremony was not wholly unfamiliar to Galliban. She had worshipped Illuminatus for so many years, and she never missed a service at the Holy Church during the time she lived in Odorex.
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

Not much later, the priest ended the ceremony: "Go now, and bring the light where it is needed." All rose, and the High Priest went to greet the early visitors, who often had a good reason to get up so early.

The acolytes disappeared in all kinds of directions, some leaving the temple, some going to the dormitory. Helen found Galliban before had to make a choice.

"Right, time for duties miss. Here... is your basket of candles, here is a torch, and here is a scraper." She pushed the things in her hands. The task is easier than yesterday's. Light all candles that have gone out, replace those who are totally burnt, scrape all wax you encounter from the floor. Should you run out of candles, ask one of your duty buddies.

When you've finished, come to my quarters so we can discuss your schedule. While working, you can perhaps, apart from praying naturally, -she winked- think about what concrete things you wish to learn and achieve. Though much of the training is standard, and the same for all novices, there is a lot of room for individual adjustments. That's what I want to talk you about later on. After that, you can have breakfast.

Oh, and while he's here, go greet the High Priest of our temple. His name is Ybale, but one addresses him with 'abbot'. I'll see you lather then?"
Galliban Tyren
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Galliban Tyren »

"Yes, of course." Galliban replied. She wasn't too keen on the idea of replacing candles and scraping wax, but it had to be done. Everyone had to pitch in for the upkeep of the temple. She had volunteered before to do such chores at the Holy Church when they had been short on hands. As Galliban saw it, whether wielding a sword again darkness or scraping wax off the temple floor, it was all in the service of Illuminatus.

Before she was to start working, Galliban thought it a good idea to go ahead and introduce herself to the High Priest. She put down her basket of candles and scraper then approached the High Priest.

"Excuse me, Abbot," she said to the man to get his attention. "Sir, I just wanted to introduce myself."
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

"Aha, our newest novice. Helen has told me good things about her first lesson with you. I hope you two will get along." The man's voice was all patience and calm. Strange, for a man with such responsibilities.

He had a long silver staff with a big transparent gem embedded in the top, clearly a symbol of his position. His robe looked priceless, many of the same metal interwoven with the fine fabric. He had snow white teeth, and long hair in the same color. The look in his light blue eyes radiated the same peace and rest as did his voice.

"If you excuse me, Galliban Tyren, I have other businesses that require my attention now. If you ever have any problems you cannot discuss with your mentor, feel free to come to my office." He shook her hand, not squeezing as hard as most men do, and returned to talk to one of the visitors.

The work lasted seemingly for ages, especially the wax-scraping on the old cracked tiles. Her knees hurt by the time she'd finished. There were two other novices doing the same job as she did, but they obviously weren't in the mood for conversation. She got hot wax on her hands several times, after bumping into the chandeliers by accident. One and a half mark later, she was ready. Helen was probably expecting her now.
Galliban Tyren
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Galliban Tyren »

Even though Galliban was having a hard time of it, she didn't mind her task too much. She was sure that there were worse chores in the temple that needed doing, and she was glad that she wasn't the one doing them.

After the half-elf had finished her task, she quickly made her way to Helen's quarters. She knocked softly on the door, only forceful enough to be heard from inside.
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

"Enter, and have a seat, please, Galliban."
Helen was sitting in her chair next to the open door to the terrace again. Apparently she liked that spot. Though the morning sun was generous with it's light, it was downright chilly in the room. Helen didn't seem to mind, though.

"Right. I have been working on your schedule. Classes you will take in any case are Theology, Meditation, Demonology, Sword Fighting, Armor. Both for Armor and Sword Fighting we have to test you. We have to determine whether you are strong enough to wear a plate armor or not, and whether you will specialize in short sword and shield or long sword. Personally, I prefer the long sword," she added with a wink, as if she was telling Galliban a great secret.

"Apart from these classes, there is room for more. You could learn tactics, or perhaps you seek academic knowledge? If so, what subjects would be of your interest? We have teachers for nearly everything, if not in our order, than in one of our sister's or brother's orders. Lumi is the God of knowledge, so his paladins must not only be able to wield a sword and say prayers. They must be given the chance to explore what fascinates them. There is a multitude of choice open for you, Galliban."
Galliban Tyren
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Galliban Tyren »

Galliban took a seat and listened to her mentor intently. She did not mind the chill. In fact, she enjoyed the refreshing nip in the air.

After Helen had finished speaking, Galliban looked thoughtful for a moment, or at least a little more thoughtful than usual. She had a lot to consider, and she liked the fact that she had so many choices.

"I would like to learn about tactics, and I would also seek to build on my academic knowledge. I would like to increase my knowledge of mathematics, languages, philosophy, and sciences among other things. I am embarassed to say that I can only read in my own native langauge and in the Human tongue at a basic level. I suppose that I am not much of a scholar." Galliban replied.
Last edited by Galliban Tyren on Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

"This, and more, can be arranged. I shall have to get in touch with some contacts to see how this can be best arranged. Do not be prepared for only dull classroom learning, however, Galliban. As you might or might not have noticed, many strange events are taking place in the world, and more recently, it has been shown that our isle is no exception.

Only yesterday a demonic summoning was prevented by the paladins of our order. We killed several cultists. We are led to believe however, that that what we have eradicated was only a fragment of the dark conspiracies that are currently at work. The man who has brought this all on the surface was a priest of Aurelius. A deity that is, as is Grandfather Kennis, one very closely related to Lumi.

Nobody believed him, including many of our own order, and we arrived only just in time. Amongst the lives taken were many with prominent positions in various orders in the Isle. It is of capital importance that we find out more about this.

There was also a novice of Aurelius involved, who is getting attention of our healers right now. Chances are not limited that there are people who are going to try and wreak vengeance on the boy. The order of Aurelius, quite a messy one if you ask me, has no means to protect him. Followers of the order aren't even allowed to carry sharpened steel. Hence, we have been asked to take care of that. As a practical part of your training, you will be set on the task. As we cannot rely on your combat skills yet, we shall assign an experienced paladin to be your mentor. However, right now, we have a shortage in hands, as we have tasks all over the Isle and elsewhere. We are not happy to put a new novice on this task, but we have little choice. To put it simply, we cannot keep him on this task for long, especially since it is really a favor to a befriended order.

It is thus essential for you to learn quickly, so the following days you will spend with me and your sword, training, if you're not on guard duty. I have already managed to convince a paladin of the order of the Steel Fist, part of the order of the Red Warrior, to assist in your martial arts training.

There is a positive side to all this, though. Like you, this Barrett is a curious type, very much interested in academic knowledge. The least it will do is improve your Human, and his Elvish." She smiled. "I hope he sticks to this more... unadventurous subjects for the time being, but it is not improbable that he will investigate the recent events by means of an individual initiative, when he has recovered. Assist him, and look around for interesting things, but at the same time, make sure to keep him far away from dangerous action, if need be by force. It appears that he is quite the stubborn lad.

Do you have any questions? Know well, Galliban, that, though guarding a single novice might seem a futile task, it is an important for the image and credibility of our order. Do it well, and your work shall not go unnoticed. Neither shall be possible negligence."

Return to “Oracle's Isle archives (old)”