University of Magick - Entrance Thread

Moderator: Mods

University of Magick - Entrance Thread

Post by Guest »

When looking at the University of Magics, one sees a large complex, dominated by the 23 towers throughout. The initial view as the entrance is approached is of a palace, then as one gets nearer a feeling of a church descends upon the viewer, yet one does realises that in fact it is neither.
The entrance, a grand arch, carries twenty Signs, each a show of elaborate craftwork and denoting one of the twenty faculties that teach in the university.
A large square lies before this grand University, and students of the occult sit here to talk, eat lunch, and play games with each other; more than one game of chess is currently in progress.

The University of Magics has a great reputation to uphold. For ages unknown this institution has trained students as well as providing scholarly wizards with a hiding place.
Although in recent times past the university has seen a quiet period, it is once again getting busy and many students are once more within its walls.

Hall of Ages
Once through the grand gate, visitors often stare at the hall in mute wonder. This place is nothing short of impressive, large and aesthetically pleasing. Ahead, stairs lead to the base levels of each of the twenty three spires, and the rest of this place is like a museum.
Paintings, sculptures and such make up the more artful of memoirs, but all sorts of items reminding the wizards of their pasts have been put on display here. More toward the back, space has been reserved for those who wish to study.

Off to one side is a medium sized reception desk with a small counter. A thin man with gray hair sits behind it, and smiles at you as you walk in.

OOC: Please reply to this thread for your entrance into the UoM.
ALSO Please timestamp your entry if you can.
Last edited by Guest on Mon May 31, 2004 7:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Callenaur enters...

Post by Guest »

IC:
"Well, this is more than I expected," Callenaur says, tying his horse to a post just outside of the UoM. "Much more..."

OOC: Thanks for the help! :D I haven't yet sold my horse. Although, now I don't have the riding skills! I've decided to make it an in-game experience, if you don't mind! :?:
OOC: OK.
---------------------

IC: As he walks up to the grand gates, his eyes widen in awe. The beauty overtook him, and his jaw dropped. Hhhmmmm, I better keep my senses if I am to make a good impression he thought to himself.

As Callenaur walked into the hall, he gazed at the portraits, sculptures, and thought so thats where all the taxes went! He lets out a small chuckle at the joke that only he heard...

As he walked on, he smiled politely at the man behind the desk. Suddenly, he realized that's probably where he should go! He walked back toward the desk, a sheepish grin plastered on his face, and asked, "Excuse me, where would this one go if I am interested in takeing classes here?" He smiled slightly.
Last edited by Guest on Sun May 23, 2004 1:20 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post by Guest »

The clerk at the desk initially ignored Callenaur, then after shuffling a few papers looked up.

"So, you want to do classes do you"?

He paused for a moment, "Now first we have to decide what your interested in, what your current magic ability is, if any. Where you see yourself going".

He looked through his papers, "For example, you looking to be a battle mage, or a healer, or perhaps just want to learn object manipulation, or whatever. Do you need to learn the basics, or have you some magical abilities?".

the Cleark smiled, "You see it is not so simple to just say Where are the classes, we need to fit you into the right one, doing what you want, and what we can teach you".

The clerk, pen poised, awaited Callendaur's reply.

Post by Guest »

"Hhhmmmm... I see." Callenaur thought for a second. "This one has basic knowledge of animal empathy, astrology, and hypnotism. Which of those you consider 'magical' I don't know..."

He thought for a wick, "As for what I am interested in, this one would like to learn the ability for manipulation of objects, and maybe something to help me in battle... I thirst for knowledge, of what precisley, I may not know. However, this one is interested in, I believe what is called, sorcery, and mindcraft... I believe."

The Taur'Quessir kept pausing at frequent intervals, obviously not 100% sure of this language. But he kept a friendly smile on his face, even through his obvious concentration...

OOC: I'm really am interested in mindcraft and sorcery. My character just doesn't know that! :wink:

Post by Guest »

OOC:
Hi, just a point :)
Firstly, it is unlikely that you (despite being taught by your mother) would know about Mindcraft... If you read the info on it, you would know it is basically forbidden (evil!) knowledge. So it is also very unlikely she would know it, though Sorcery is a different matter. Also For Mindcraft you would need to seek a mentor (= A Mod willing to take such a thread). However it is advisable to stay in the UoM anyway at first to get all the basics sorted and yourself trained up. The clerk will ignore your mention about Mindcraft.

IC:
The Clerk listened to Callenaur's comments, nodding each time.
"Well, animal empathy is a form of magic, but more druidic than what most people consider magic. Sorcery on the other hand is an admirable idea, I'm sure we can accommodate you on that".

The Clerk looked pointedly at Callenaur and then at a piece of paper and suddenly his name appeared on the top of the sheet.

"Ah, Callenaur, a good mage's name that". He wrote a few runes down and then gave it a flourishing signature.

He handed the paper to Callenaur, "Ok, tower 8 I think for you, just follow the runes appearing on the floor, and step through the portal they take you to".

With that the clerk gave him a wave of dismissal, and went back to his reading.

When Callenaur looked down he would see the number 8 appear on the floor, and another and another, leading the way to a wavering circle of air.... The Portal.

OOC: Callenaur, post your Reply here - to passing through the portal (instant Travel). Then go join the thread https://tazlure.nl/board/viewtopic.php?t=5849
Last edited by Guest on Tue May 25, 2004 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

Callenaur listened to the clerk, smiling at his polite approach. As he saw his name magically apear on the paper, he let out a small gasp, hardly even audible...

Hhhmmmm... a good mage name? Well my mother did name me! he thought with a slight chuckle. "Thank you," was all he said outloud. When the clerk said something about following the runes, he was completley lost, What runes is he talking about? Suddenley, he realized the floating number in front of him...

Oh, that rune! Hehehe... "Thank you kind sir," and with that he followed the runes, and entered the portal.
Elendor Nai'lith

Post by Elendor Nai'lith »

Walking straight and tall a high elf finds himself moving closer to the front of the University. About him as he looks he sees a few groups of the students playing, joking and having fun. Which to him is almost insane as study is the key in such a place. However these are lowers, he thinks to himself growing smug in his nobility. So he continues onward down the pathway to the door filled with joy that he finally has reach the place he dreamed about.

His eyes cast about the marking upon the door as he walks through it. And then sun fades from his raven black hair and his icy blue eyes seem brighter as the shade melts upon him as he enters. His grayish green robes stop their flow. His eyes flicker as they see the thin man at the desk and he walks toward him with a graceful step. His robes start their flow again and the greens in the fabric can be seen as they move. As the fabric surges with its flow so does his mind as a feeling of awe pass through him as he sees the room out of the edge of his eyes.

“Good day sir, I am Elendor Nai’lith son to Lysinith Nai’lith of the Nai’lith family. If I am not mistaken this is the University of Magic is it not?” He says in a perfectly flawless Cala'Quessir form of Elven.

Post by Guest »

OOC: Do you have a timestamp? If not we can make it eveningtide of the 15th Samheen if you wish. Oh, and welcome :)

*Elendor Nai'lith*

The Clerk looked up at the Elf, a slight smile on his lips and replied in an equally flawless Cala'Quessir form of Elven.

"Yes young man, it is. How may the university be of help to you"?
Elendor Nai'lith

OOC: eveningtide of the 15th Samheen is fine, sorry I forgot it.

Elendor smiled at the man as he answered and then soon continued."Good, then I have arived. I wish to enroll her if I may, it has been a desire as of late to learn about the things in the more mystical spectrum." After stateing this he looked about briefly still taking in the school itself and the awe that it inspired. He then looked back at the elf awaiting a reply and possibly the readiness of his purse as he was sure the schooling her would set him back some bit.

Post by Guest »

The clerk quirked a smile at Elendor, "Enrol you say, learn about things in the mystical spectrum. Hmm, long words for one so young".

The clerk stared at the paper in front of him, and the at the top appeared Elendor's name. "Elendor Nai'lith, hmm".

"So you want to learn magicks do you, well before we can put you where you need or even hope to be, you must tell us what you know about magicks", the clerk paused for a flicker, "If anything that is. Also what sort of magicks you want to learn, what do you want to do with your magicks eh, eh"?

The clerk waited expectantly pen poised above the paper.
Elendor Nai'lith

Thinking only shortly he responded to the question asked to him, "Well I know a few of the basic things about the foucing and balancing of energy and a little in the field of enhancement. Though my studies in such fields have not gone to far. Being that their is little attention to such studies anywhere else in the world." He frowned a bit upon the thought of the miniscule play in a field such as this about the world but soon found himself speaking again. "In what such fields of the mystical sorts I am not quite sure yet. I do wish to learn as much as I can though, being that knowledge is the best of any."

The last bit to the man's question came quickly and most easy, "Well of course I simply wish to study and learn the beings of magic. I am no crusader and will not use them to spread good, nor am I a devilish fiend to use them in the spreading of evil. Simply I am a neutral in any aspect and do not wish to try a force over anyone, less it be to save myself or someone I care for. But if a must has to come of this the studing I do is for my self and if it may be the protection of others." Elendor was satisfied with his answer and above all else was just happy to be in such a place.

Post by Guest »

OOC: Sorry for the delay in replying.

IC:
The clerk was writing on the paper as Elendor spoke. "Neutral, hmm an admirable trait to have, but I think you will find it hard to keep to that sir, still I wish you well".

He scribbled something more, "Well as you say you know a little theory, I will put you with....", the clerk Hesitated for a flicker, "Ah yes, he would be perfect I think".

He looked up at Elendor and handed him the paper, "Take this and follow the runes to Tower Seven, you will find your teacher there".

As Elendor took the paper a line of runes appeared in front of him, which led to a portal.

OOC: post here to go through the portal (instantaneous) then please Join the thread https://tazlure.nl/board/viewtopic.php?t=5925
Thank you
Elendor Nai'lith

Elendor smiles breifly before saying to the clerk, "Thank you for such kind service. I hope that your days will be long and fruitful." With that Elendor started off down the way following each rune and glancing upon its nature. He amired each one like art, but saw each one as more aslo. He saw them as his path before him not only to a portal, but a longer path too. So he soon reached the portal and looked upon it reading it over in his mind before he entered.

Post by Guest »

IC:
Aldym strode into the University of Magic and had to admit to himself that he was very impressed - even the looming sight of the University's twenty spires on the carriage ride from the port had not prepared him for the interior of the Hall of Ages. He snapped out of his reverie and turned to approach the grey-haired man behined the counter.

No lies Aldym - it's not just unecessary, it's probleably pretty damn dangerous here too.

He smiled back at the man politely, unsure exactly how to phrase his statement,

"Well met. I wish to apply to study here."

He glanced down at the chest he was carrying uncomfortably under one arm - it contained all his worldly possessions. More than he'd owned for most of his life of course, but still small looking all packed away. He turned his attention to the clerk, waiting for a reply.
Last edited by Guest on Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:05 am, edited 3 times in total.
Valandra

Post by Valandra »

Samheen 15th, Tradetide, Yahren 1224 AD

Wandering silently down the paved road, Valandra finally caught sight of the University Of Magicks. She was wearing a simple blue dress, which both outlined her perfect feminine figure and complemented the deep blue depth of her eyes. Her straight brown hair, reaching to a point just beyond her shoulders, was fluttering in the wind, and her tanned skin showed she spent a long time in the sun. A silver anklet, complete with a silver figure of a silver horse, a bow, a tree and a bird glittered in the sun. The whole outfit finished off elegantly with a pair of leather sandals.

It had taken her a while to find the splendid building, for she had felt that despite his stubborn will to follow her, Panther, her chestnut stallions, would prefer to rest in the cosy stalls of The Burpin Dragon, than accompany her to the university. This was only confirmed by the fact that he had obeyed her wish immediately. Remembering her journey here to The Citadel and her time spent at the Burpin Dragon, she flicked her fringe out of her eyes. Pushing these thoughts out of her head, she sighed and turned her eyes back to the university.

More resembling a castle or palace with its 23 towers, it stood proud and tall and the elf gasped quietly as she examined the elaborate crafting of the university. Noting the students, who were playing chess, a game she had never fully understood or appreciated, she walked slowly through the highly decorated arch and, out of the glorious sunshine, into the hall. Staring at the walls in awe, she saw paintings and sculptures, all of the highest quality and taste. Never had she been in such a place.

Her eyes glancing round the hall, she noticed a thin man with gray hair sitting behind a reception desk. Composing herself, and again pushing her fringe out of her face, she walked towards him, assuming quickly that he was the one to ask for a place at this fantastic university. Reaching the desk, a radiant smile on her soft lips, she gave a small curtesy, and introduced herself, "Greetings, my name is Valandra, only daughter of the Elven merchant Jentril, from the kingdom of Tel`Aranae Quessir. I am enquiring about a place at this magnificent university". Finishing her small speech, she looked down and started to fiddle with the gold ring on her finger, awaiting for a reply.
Last edited by Valandra on Tue Jun 08, 2004 5:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

[b]Valandra and Aldym[/b]

Post by Guest »

IC:

Valandra and Aldym

The Clerk looked up, saw and then heard the enquiries of a young man and woman at his desk.

"So you want to be mages eh, So many do, so many fail".

He stared at each in turn, "Now, tell me, what do you think you have to become a mage, what do you know".

He leaned forward a little, "Wanting to be a mage is not enough, what do you want to do with it, Parlour Tricks, levitation, battlemage. eh".

He sighed, "Too many mages with no focus, do either of you have a focus"?

He sat down with a bump picked up his pen and paused ready to write, on two sheets that had suddenly got Valandra's and Aldym's name on them.

Post by Guest »

Aldym was the first to respond,

"I've an interest in ice magic, and this battlemagic intrigues me."

He glanced at the Taur'Quessir standing next to him, taking stock of the newcomer, then continued,

"I know a little theory, just basics though I have to admit."
Valandra

Post by Valandra »

She had not noticed the dark-haired human, who had already been present at the desk before her arrival, and immediately felt rude, having interrupted their conversation. Her pretty tanned face blushed a pale pink and her deep blue eyes seemed some-what ashamed.

She suddenly felt nervous and wondered if this was really what she wanted. Unsubconsciously, fidddling with the golden ring on her nimble finger, she replied in her pure elven voice, "I hope to learn the basics of magick, for i have no previous magical education."

She realized that the fact that she knew little about magick would probably prevent her from being accepted into the university, but she knew deep inside herself that it was what she wanted and if accepted she would be extremely dedicated.

Post by Guest »

Aldym smiled as the Taur'Quessir blushed, his ice-blue eyes twinkling above his friendly expression,

"No need to blush, Lady."

He turned to face the Taur'Quessir more fully, the clerk was clearly engrossed in something to do with their statement, and bowed to her, his brocade doublet ruslting faintly as he did so,

"I am Aldym Zorastryl, and you would be..?"
Valandra

Post by Valandra »

Calming down, she replied his question, "I am Valandra, daughter of Jentril, from Tel`Aranae Quessir."

After her short introduction, she gave a small curtisy, her elegant blue dress following her movements perfectly, as if an extra skin.

She returned his smile with a illuminating one of her own, lighting up her pretty face, her eyes shining.

Post by Guest »

Aldym's eyes laughed as he nodded at Valendra's response,

"Charmed."

He spread his arms in a gesture at the great hall around them,

"So what brings you here, away from your own fair Isle?"
Valandra

Post by Valandra »

Flicking her fringe out of her face, she said,

"Probably the same thing as you, the opportunity of gaining magikal knowledge, is that not why you are here?"

Her deep blue eyes sparkling and an amused tone in her Elven voice.

Post by Guest »

Aldym's smile never wavered as he replied,

"To be honest, I'm more interested in the application of the knowledge than the knowledge for it's own sake."

He gave a short half-laugh,

"But then when you've got two hundred years to study, things must take on a different perspective."

He hand rested comfortably on the ornate basket-hilt of his rapier, his sharp ice-blue eyes meeting the Taur'Quessir's deep blue ones - he thought for a moment of the colour of the sky in the small hours of the summertime, and of the deep depths of the ocean that had been his doorstep for most of his life. His smile broadened,

"I must confess I've always been a port-dweller, it must be wonderful back on your home isle, all the wide open space, the forests..."

He trailed off slightly, not finishing his sentence. He found himself comparing the idyllic sterotype of Kislovan with his own childhood in Dort. No wide open spaces, a lot of blades waiting for you to turn your back. Studying at the University of Magic of all places - if his old crew could see him now. He gave a wry smirk for a moment, then it dissapeared so fast as to make an observer question if they had truly seen it - replaced again by that friendly white-toothed smile.
Valandra

Post by Valandra »

She laughed quietly at his words, a smile still on her soft lips, and gazing at him, she saw his hand reach towards the highly-decorated sword that was hanging at his side, beautifully made she noticed.

But she was then distracted from it as he caught her gaze, his icy-blue eyes, seeming to search through her soul, and then suddenly breaking the eye contact, she looked downwards.

"I must confess I've always been a port-dweller, it must be wonderful back on your home isle, all the wide open space, the forests..." he said.

At this, she looked back at him, and replied solemly, "yes it is a beautiful place, its a pity i had to leave and i miss it enormously." At this, a sorrowful look appeared in the midst of her eyes, and changing the subject in order to compose herself, she added, "I presume you are from here, The Seven Isles?"
Last edited by Valandra on Sat Jun 19, 2004 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

Aldym graciously accepted her avoidance of the subject, adjusting the signet ring that sat on his free hand as he replied,

"Yes, I was born and raised in Dort - this is my first journey to the Citadel."

He smiled, hoping to steer the conversation to lighter topicc, for both their sakes,

"So, is this your first time travelling?"

Return to “The Citadel proper Archive”