University of Magick - Entrance Thread

Moderator: Mods

Post by Guest »

Sorryn smiled a shy smile when he was told that the University would find a way for students to earn their keep. He was somewhat uncomfortable around this female that had managed to be requesting tutelage as well. He listened silently as the girl told the receptionist her name and talents, as well as her choice of study. Sorryn of course knew very little about magic as a whole, and as far as training went perhaps that would not be a disqualifying concept either.

Seeing that this female human, Gladyssa she said her name was, was finished giving her introduction, Sorryn opened his mouth to give his. Unfortunately he was interrupted by a quick poke to the waist. Blushing slightly at the girls comment, Sorryn clears his throat. "Well...so are you..." came his weak reply as he quickly turned his eyes back to the receptionist. "Um, my name is Sorryn. I am a very apt learner, but to this point have had no real contact with magic or magical studies. I've only heard stories...and in fact I don't even know what the different types of magic are. Is there anyway I could learn some basic stuff to see what the differences are before choosing?"

Sorryn of course had no clue that there were a variety of different paths one could take in magic. This Battle Mage didn't seem like something that Sorryn could get into, never really wanting to openly battle with someone. Then again this skinny girl wanted to become one...so maybe it wasn't all that difficult to accomplish. Either way, he would probably have to learn some more of magic before selecting a decent path for himself.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

The sound of quill on parchment filled the silence at their information was skritched onto the scrolls. Under Gladyssa's name were written the words alchemically trained, seeks battle magic training, impetuous, good natured. Under Sorryn's name was written only the word uncertain, not that Sorryn could read it.

"Battle magic eh?" The registrar commented to Gladyssa. "Just to be clear, there are two avenues for battle magic. The formal Battle Mage program will truly train you as a soldier. It is a challegening program that trains both the body in weapon skills and the mind in sorcery. You become less skilled than if you focused on one or the other but the combination makes you formidable. The other option is to stay within the academic sorcery curriculum but focus on destructive magics, honing you mind alone. Which program is the one that interests you? Take a moment to consider."

He then turns to Sorryn. "It is rare for a person to come before this desk without having considered what they wish to do with magic. Even the fanciful dreams of what you would do with such power or your favorite stories could help me guide you towards a proper mentor. Some specialize in attack or defense as they see magic as a weapon or shield. Others come attracted to certain elements and come to control fire or water. Still others want to conquer death or summon spirits or control the hearts and minds of all they meet. Has anything I said struck a chord in you, young man?"
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Gladyssa

Post by Gladyssa »

Gladyssa frowned, working to figure out which one seemed more practical. After a moment's silence she grinned.

"I'd like the traditional Battle Mage program," She answered cheerfully. "It seems the more practical of the two."
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

The registrar rolled up the scroll and handed it to Gladyssa. "Then I wish you luck with your interview with the Battle General." With a flick of his wrist and an arcane sylablle, the registrar summons a ball of light. "This will lead you to where you need to go."

OOC: Your story continues here. https://tazlure.nl/board/viewtopic.php?t=11080

The registrar then turns back to Sorryn.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Into the UoM

Post by Guest »

Samheen 24th, Yahren 1224 AD

Mykus approached the grand structure that loomed in front of him with apprehension. He had decided to see if he could enrol in a course in magic, after all. Keeping his head downturned, the beauty and elegance of the building that inexorably drew closer towards him was lost. His shoulders hunched over, Mykus kept turning doubts over doubts in his mind. Was he worthy to present himself as a candidate at this so-called prestigious university of Magicks?

His mind wandered back to the discussion he had with his uncle last night, as it inevitably would. His dear old uncle, how uncharacteristically frail he had seemed last night. Mykus, have you ever thought about your future? He had asked. The dreaded question, sending a shiver of fear up the younger elf's spine. Ever since - the incident, when he first found shelter within the loving hospitality of his uncle, it was only with great difficulty that Uncle had drawn his tacit nephew out of his shell, to open himself up to another person. Hearing those words drew upon Mykus' fears that he was going to lose another person dear to him, death ready to snatch away a loved one without a seconds thought.

Mykus had sat dumbfounded, unable to reply to the question, letting his uncle do all the talking. I've been thinking. I'm a very old elf, having lived out the full length of my life, as I should have. I fear, my young nephew, that my years are now numbered. I have no regrets, for unlike humans, us elves have enough time to settle their desires and wants through the long life we have been granted. But I fear for you, my young Mykus. What will you do, when you are alone? Surely you don't plan to be a poor elvish beggar on the streets? What of your dreams, your wishes? I've been thinking for a long time, and I think perhaps the best way for you to blossom into maturity would be to enter into the University of Magic. Not only would you meet new people, and make friends, you can also learn something meaningful that will help you in the future. So it was decided, with further persuasions, that Mykus would apply to the UoM the next day.

And so here he was.

Mykus' glazed eyes passed over the beauty in front of his eyes, and automatically gazed questioningly at the front desk. He spotted a thin man with graying hair sitting as if expecting more visitors to ask him questions. Taking slow, deliberate strides, Mykus approached the receptionist.

"Greetings, sir. My name is Mykus. I was wondering if I could apply to study at the University of Magick?"

Post by Guest »

Samheen 26th, Yahren 1224 AD

Backpack held in his right hand, the plainly dressed Keristan paused to take in the awe-inspiring view of the grand structure before him. Excitement grew within his heart with each step across the square. Finally, the first step to his dreams were being put into action. A pleasant shiver ran down his spine as dreams of magic, dragons and lands beyond filled his mind. A small contented smile appeared on his lips even as he strolled into the Hall of Ages.

Taking the time to appreciate the works of art and memoirs in the hall, Keristan was staggered by the breadth and scope of the University's heritage. Engrossed in his admiration of the beauty of the place, it took a moment before he realised that someone was watching him.

Striding unhurriedly towards the reception desk and responding to the man's smile with a warm smile of his own, Keristan was once again struck of the fierce independence of the University.

It's as if this place is so much a self-existing entity that it is cut off from the rest of the world as the people here turn inwards to delve into their own pursuits of the mind. Do they even know of the trouble out there in the world? Are they willing to come out of their comfort zones to move the world?

Standing before the counter, Keristan decided that it was time that the University's magicians were to take a more active role in the affairs of the world.

"Hello, I am Keristan and I am here to apply as a student."
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

OOC: Mykus, I am going to change your timestamp to the 26th because of the Synch Event and treat this as though Mykus and Keristan arrived at the same time.

IC:

The registrar nodded as first Mykus and then Keristan approched him as requested entry. "Then you both have come to the right place." With a gesture a pair of scrolls unrolled themselves on the desk. A pair of quills dipped themselves into inkwells then poised themsleves over the parchment, waiting.

"Well then gentlemen. First I need to know your names. Then tell me what preparations you have taken for a life of magical study. End with stating the kind of magic you would like to learn, and why." The registrar spoke first in the human tongue, then turned to Mykus and repeated it in fluent adhiel.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

OOC: I am going to post ahead first before waiting for Mykus because the last time Mykus posted is 2 weeks ago which is quite long. If he posts after me, feel free to reply to his before mine.

IC: Keristan inclined his head towards Mykus before answering the registrar.

"My name is Keristan Linnard. I am Literate in the language of Human. I am able to to go into a basic form of Meditation as well as Inner Calm. From my experience as a helper in my father's tavern I have been trained in my Rote Memorization skills.

"Weather and Battle Magic is my interest especially the usage of Ice and Cold in combat,” He paused at this point, wondering whether or not revealing his intentions was a good idea. A flicker passed in the space of time he made his decision.

“The Seven Isles are a group of many islands and vulnerable to the sea. Controlling her weather would mean…controlling the Seven Isles itself. As for Battle magic, with the path I am taking, combat is almost a certainty.”

Keristan raised his eyes to the registrar’s, fearing that he had revealed too much.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

The scroll scratched out on the parchmenrt as Keristan spoke. First it wrote his name then underneath it was written: literate, mentally disciplined, interested in weather and ice magic, ambitous, speculative of magic as a means to secular power.

"Now before we go further, Keristan, are you interested in formal Battle Magic training or simply wish combat magic as part of your academic magic training?" The registrar inquired. "The formal Battle Magic program is more military in nature. The focus is getting you prepared for a career of combat and war and on making sure your body is as much of a weapon as your mind. The academic program is more freeform it what you are allowed to study. Breadth of study as opposed to depth usually. Which program is of interest to you?"
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

Keristan thoughts boiled like a raging ocean. On one hand, he was intrigued by the possibility of being able to battle an opponent with his mind and body. On the other hand, the lure of the secrets of the elements and the mysteries of the Aether pulled at him. Keristan bowed his head, eyes shadowed as he considered the whirling world outside the University and the forces that threatened to tear it apart.

"I would like to enroll into the formal Battle Magic programme," Keristan cracked a brief smile before continuing, "I'm sure there would be time for leisurely study afterwards."

[/i]
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"Then I shall refer you to the Battle-General." The registrar replied with a nod. The scroll rolled up and tied itself shut with a black ribbon. It floated into a drawer which shut after the scroll arranged itself within. A second gesture brought forth a globe of golden light. "This will lead you to the spires of Battle Magic. Farewell and good luck, Keristan."

Please continue your story here:
https://tazlure.nl/board/viewtopic.php?t=11480
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Beginning of Life

Post by Guest »

<p>Samheen 26th, 1224 AD, Tradetide</p>
<p>Travus was in a state of minor shock. This same Morningtide, only a few marks ago, Travus had stepped off of a flthy ship, stood in the cold, answered questions to a surprisingly pleasant guard (pleasant, at least, compared to what he was expecting), and entered the great city known as Citadel. He had wandered about for a few hours, glancing at merchants' wares, resisting the urge to buy them. He had meandered along easily, glancing at the wonders of civilization, relishing each breath he breathed, because finally, finally, he could join the University. Travus had worried that he would get lost on the way, but that fear was quickly abolished when he saw the spires rising majestically over the skyline.</p>
<p>He had walked in that general direction, when a horrifying thought came into his head. 'I don't even know what kind of magic to study!' That had stopped Travus dead in his tracks, and he had stood there in shock, marvelling at his incredible stupidity and ignorance. After all the reading he had done, all the fantasizing about being a mighty sorceror, he had failed to stop and really think what he wanted to do.</p>
<p>"By Pan's Hooves, I am a fool!" he had said out loud, and immediatley regretted it, as he and Pan were not getting along well at the moment. He began walking again, frantically going over this question in his mind.</p>
<p>Now he was here, in the very Hall of Ages that he had fantasized about, and the beauty of it awed his mind into silence, his feelings of anxiety melting away. He stood there for what felt like yahren, but was actually about two burns, when his thoughts came flooding back. Travus looked about, and saw the man behind the desk.</p>
<p>Travus began walking towards him, his palm sweating and stomach jumping with anxiety and anticipation. He called upon that little rock, that island of steadiness in his head, and he found himself becoming much more calm almost instantly. On arrival, he spoke.</p>
<p>"Good day, sir," Travus said, brandishing a small smile. "Is this where I enroll to the University?" He silently gave a prayer to whatever deity was listening, hoping the man did not think him a stupid prat.</p>
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"It is indeed, young sir." The registrar replied to his query. A wave of his ahnd caused a scroll to unfurl on the desk and a second wave caused a quill to hop into an inkwell. "If you wish to enroll, I will need your name, a recounting of what training you already have, and what kind of training you wish to receive."
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

<p>"My name is Travus Senardi," he replied, "and I have no formal training really, although I have read many historical books on great sorcerers and such. I have tried to wrap my head around what little theory I could find, but it seems that a formal training would be best." He smiled weakly, paused for a moment, and continued. "This may seem strange, good sir, but...I am not really very sure what type of training to go through. I know for sure I am not meant to be a battlemage," he said, and gave a small chuckle, as if the preposterousness of this idea was apparent to all. "Not healing, that's for sure." His eyes glazed over, and he visualized what he wanted. Travus spoke in a slightly dreamy voice, saying, "I...I want to create. I want to make things from the earth, form walls, pits, make plants grow...bah! I can't describe it very well. I want to, to, create with the earth, and test it with fire. I can picture fire raining from the skies and stones rending themselves from the earth, forming around me to protect me." His voice returned to normal as well as his gaze and his goofy smile. It seemed almost as if he wasn't quite sure what all he said. "Is that all the information you need?"</p>
<p>He waited patiently for a response as visions of rocks, flames, molten lava, and plants danced through his head.</p>

Post by Guest »

Samheen 26th ET

It did not take long for Ceris and Danomel to arrive before the gates of the University. Ceris was clad in her shimmering silken grey dress, snowy white hair a perfect companion. She needed a little savvy here, this was not going to be easy. The lateness of her visit would allready put her at a disadvantage, she only hoped they did not shut their gates at dusk.

"Danomel, thank you, for... everything." She turned to face the man she had met breifly only this morning. "If you plan on staying in the Citadel I will no doubt see you again." She smiled and faced her companion. "In another life perhaps."

With that she was gone, headed purposefully towards the gates.
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

Watching the Ceris walk away, Danomel sighed silently to himslef, Yes we probably will, this island is not that big a place, and whatever secret you hold, I think you are going to have trouble keeping it in this place.

Turning, Danomel headed back towards the Burpin Dragon for some company in the tap room before calling it an early night.
By all the Dodos! these are thoughts of weight,
Most venerable, wise, and out of date.
(from [i]The Paradise of the Birds[/i], by [i]W. J. Courthope[/i])

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Travus Senardi

The quill skritched over the scroll as Travus described the images in his mind. It wrote: Literate, drawn to magic by tales, possbile elementalist.
The registrar did not react much to Travus. He was hardly the first one to arrive here with nothing more than the absolutely certainty that this was where he belonged despite any evidence to support that claim.

"Well you may find your desires changing when you have begun your formal training in the magical arts." The registrar commented. "However, from your descriptions it seems a position within the Elemental Magic department would be the most appropriate." The quill scratched a message to swiftly for Travus to catch the words before the scroll rolled itself up and flew into Travus's hands.

The registrar gestured with one hand and globe of yellow light appeared. "This will guide you to the office of Professor Redgrave. He will determine your aptitude for magical studies. Good luck to you Travus."

----

Ceris

Ceris need not have worried about the time of her arrival. Mages have never been known to keep regular hours and the registrar of the University was no exception. The murals and arcane artifacts on display gained an otherwordly glow as they reflected the many globes of pastel colored werelight that hung in air.

The registrar looked up from a pewter plate of steaming roast beef and fried potato slices to observe the latest visitor to the University. A wave of his fork sent a scroll to unfurl and a quill to leap up and land in the inkwell.

"Welcome to the University of Magic, miss. What do you seek here?" The registrar inquired.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

Ceris was gawking. Odan had been a mage of sorts, he had enjoyed a certain status in the village, people had come to him with broken bones or lame cows and he had always fixed things, fixed people. Once when old man Thomas had been drunk and beating on his wife, Odan had braved the rain and simple spoken to the man. Ceris remembered to this day how he had simply nodded in deference and taken to his bed, leaving Odan to nurse the woman's bruises. Subtlety, that had been his strength - never this blazon display of skill.

"I..." She failed for words, watching the floating scroll with hypnotised eyes. "Wish to learn... anything you have to teach." She caught herself and shook the wonderment from her features. She needed to keep her composure.

"I hope it is not too late in the day to ask admission?" Ceris was unaware of the sleeping habits of mages, to her mind - most people shut up shop with the failing light.

Post by Guest »

<p>Travus let out an audible sigh of relief. He had done it. His dreams were on their way to coming true. The paper (that had flowin into his hands in a most delightful way) said it. He was going to be a mage. A cheerful grin broke out all over Travus' face. <p>
<p>"Thanks you, sir, thank you!" Travus was beaming with happiness. "And, might I add, what a magnificent trick you have there, what with the glowing orbs and such. Have a wonderful day!" With that Travus bega following the yellow orbs to his destination.</p>
<p>(OOC: Err...pardon my noobishness, but where do I direct myself to? Do I make a thread, or will a mod, or what?)
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"An inquisitive mind brooks no delay." The registrar nodded with approval. "You may certainly seek admission now though the time of day will limit which professors are available to judge your suitability for entrance." He informed her.

"I shall need to know your name, a listing of what training you had in preparation for a life of sorcery, and what kind of magic you wish to learn."
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

Ceris tried to assemble her thoughts, this was it, she was so close to achieving her goal. She could have laughed, the island hopping to get here, the subterfuge in the tavern... all of it had lead to these gates. It was enough to bring a smile to the face.

"My name is Ceris, Ceris ó Súilleabháin out of Islay." The name rolled off her tongue fluidly. Her time with Odan had lent her the lilting Islay accent as well as his last name. Of the dark eyes.

"As to my training... Nothing specifically magical in nature though I know my letters, but I have spent months studying more violent arts so I understand what discipline is." She cast her mind back, trying to think of anything else. "A life time of dance teaches dedication." She smiled at the registrar then balked at the next question.

"What kind? I don't know... everything really." She thought of Odan, his quiet power.... "I had not really considered... What do most people study?"
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"Everyone comes here wanting to know everything but the simple fact of finite time and energy causes most to specialize eventually." The registrar smiled thinly. "Magicians are a very individual lot. There is very little that most people study aside from the basics of sensing and manipulating energy."

The registrar idly speared a piece of beef with his fork. "The major division is between the scholarly magic program and the Battle Magic program. The Battlemagic is very focused on using magic to wage war coupled with intensive training in the use of weapons and the skill to mix magic and weapons effectively."

"Within scholarly magic, the divisions are mostly arbitrary." The registrar admitted. "Some focus on specific energies such as fire or water. Others focus on specific uses of magic such as warding or summoning or healing. Most people that walk into this University do so because there is something they lack the power to bring about and they hope magic will give them that power." The registrar leveled his gaze at Ceris and waited to see if she would answer the unspoken question.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

Ceris listened carefully and considered. She had all the time in the world, an eternity to study all that these halls could offer. The choice before her was arbitrary lest some great evil befall either herself or the university.

"It would have to be scholarly then. Though I presume I can diversify if i wish to?" She smiled at the registrar, pearlescent teeth shining in the lamplight. "And you might say that sorcery was in the family," She smiled, "my father was Odan ó Súilleabháin - is he known here? I think he was a student at one time." She cocked her head and listened for the answer.

It would have to be scholarly magic. Battlemagic would require morning drills, mid-day drills and she could almost taste the barracks that would not be to her suiting. At least a scholar could keep her own hours and as to the limits in training... Ceris could always find the exception. She would, if nothing else wish to study the differences between the flowing martial art of her village and what was trained within these walls.
Last edited by Guest on Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"You are Odan's daughter?" The registrar leaned forward and examined her features more closely. "Clearly you resemble your mother." He concluded with a wave of his hand. "Well that changes things then. I shall send you to Odan's old mentor for your initial evaluation and instruction. I am sure he would be eager to hear news of his old pupil.

The quill scartched furiously over the scroll as it recorded the bare bones verison of their conversation as well as other bits deemed important by the registrar. A wave of his hand caused the scroll to roll up and leap into his waiting fingers.

He paused a moment before handing it to her. "Odan served the University well. He earned the respect of many and that may help shield you for a time. But never forget that this is a place where mysteries are unravelled and secrets become known. Think well on that before you accept this." The registrar offered the scroll to her.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

Ceris took a second to look at the registrar - could it be that he knew her identity already? After only a few moments conversation? She would have to consider a disguise until she established some kind of security here, if that was at all possible. She had never known that swanmaiden lore was well known at all, but then again - this was a centre of learning like no other outside the western kingdom.

"Thank you." She inclined her head in the ghost of a bow and took the proffered scroll. So... Odan was remembered here, that would no doubt work to her advantage, especially if she could work with his old mentor. That thought struck her, any mentor of her fathers would have to be old indeed for Odan's hair was grey as the morning light but for a dark streak around the temple.

"He ne'er spoke of the University to me till our parting words." She looked up at the towers. "Still, I happen t'have a little faith in his guidance." She smiled at the thought of that man, the one she had learned to call father.
Last edited by Guest on Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “The Citadel proper Archive”