University of Magick - Entrance Thread

Moderator: Mods

Alustariel Urdil
Civus

Post by Alustariel Urdil »

Cloak sweeping, eyes wandering, Alustariel entered the Hall with an air of confidence.

Almost instantly her mood changed as she examined her surroundings. Feelings of reverence and awe filled her and she felt a certain assurance within her self, a feeling that told her she had come to the right place.

Parnish Maldaur, her mentor, had schooled her well, but she was yet to learn the art of weaving spells and minipulating the many power flows that ebbed throughout her changing environment.

She made sure she was presentable and approached the clerk at his desk.

'Hello' she smiled politely 'My name is Alustariel.....Alustariel Urdil, formally of the Citadel and only recently returned. I am told that this is the place to approach for Magical Education, though I am quite unsure of how to go about it'
[i]Abara kadabara, alakazaaaaam![/i]
Posting on Tuesdays and Thursdays

Urdil, Was It?

Post by Guest »

Looking up from some paperwork lodged firmy on his desk, the porter took in the sight of Alustariel. His eyes were pinched close since he was trying to make sense of what she had just said - her common not being as good as the porter would have liked. There was something else, though, something that stopped the porter from directly launching into his standard speech. There was something oddly familiar about the face, and that name...
Obviously slightly confused, the Porter tried to find his way through the usual words. "Well, you've, err, come to the right place. We haven't seen much adhiel lately, what with them disappearing and all. Still..."
It jarred his memory. adhiel! There weren't a lot of them around. He was seeing a family resemblance!
Recovering, he continued: "Anyway, right place. I'll need some information, and we can determine where to put you."
Mr. Urdil, he thought. The boy under Redgrave's care. Did I hear that correctly?
"I'm sorry," he said, "but could you tell me your name, again? Oh, and, if you're looking for pure magick or battle magick in particular..."
The porter awaited her response with vague expectation.
Alustariel Urdil
Civus

Not many Adhiel, the Porter had described, Alu had heard rumours of this, but she had left Taquar before the missing Adhiel were reported.

'Urdil, sir, Alustariel Urdil'

Alu said simply. Thinking the porter to have simply misheard her crude grasp of the common tongue, it was something her last mentor had never versed her on.

She paused momentarily, as if, for some strange reason, the porter depended greatly upon her answer (in regards to her name). Though she continued, remembering his second request.

'Battle Magick' Alu smiled, she tried to maintain that she was not a violent sort, but she felt it was her path to pursue such weavings 'Yes, that is where I feel I shall be more comfortable'

'I understand the students can stay on campus? Is there an additional fee for this?' she asked, looking around at the fine and impressing surroundings
Last edited by Alustariel Urdil on Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post by Guest »

"No, there isn't," the porter replied to her question on campus fees. "Once you register as a student, you are assigned lodgings on the campus, depending on what faculty you'll be attached to. In your case, it'll be one of the four battle magick faculties."
He stopped, then asked her: "Before I continue and send you on to a mentor or student registrator, may I ask you something? You said your name was Urdil... you don't happen to be related to that other Urdil lad... Ashtallion, I think his name was?" Then, he added in an almost apologetic manner: "What with there being hundreds of students around, I normally wouldn't remember the names or ask, milady adhiel, only, with almost all of your kind having disappeared a week ago, you tend to remember the names of the ones that didn't vanish."
Alustariel Urdil
Civus

Alu stopped, frozen to the spot. The Porter had spoken a name she hadn't heard for years. That of her twin. She looked him square in the eyes, though her intense gaze lasted only a moment before she broke away.

But confusion was fixed in her expression.

'Yes, my brother, though you speak that name as if he walks these very rooms!' she said, disbelieving.

Her heart was racing, she had thought Ashtallion lost, and this was certainly very unexpected that the Porter should bring this up.

'He is here? My brother is here?' Alu felt short of breath. She needed to sit down. She moved, trying to find the words she needed to speak.

Leaning upon her ornate staff, she cleared her mind, and regained a calm attitude, though happiness was clearly found within.

'Forgive me, milord, please, simply tell me that he lives!'
Last edited by Alustariel Urdil on Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Things That Happen

Post by Guest »

What were the odds?
Actually, if you thought about it, they seemed to be very, very low. She had lost Ashtallion years ago, and neither was strictly aware that the other still lived. There was no good reason for either to be here beyond their interest in magick, which could have been fed at a dozen different institutions, as well. And if the porter hadn't remembered Ashtallion's name, if the great Exodus hadn't made that possible, Asht and Alu could have spent years in the University without ever even hearing of each other's existence.
But it was a thing with twins. It was also a thing with adhiel in general, and it was a thing with those naturally strong with talent for sorcery.

If you thought about it, those odds hadn't been so bad, after all.

The porter, at any rate, watched her amazement with little surprise. He was a man who had seen less believable things and less believable responses. He'd seen rats turn into men and then back again; he'd seen someone inflate a balloon that had started talking to him. There was this one time when a stunted dwarf had sat on a trained ogre's shoulder and applied for a position. He had even been there himself, magickal staff in hand, that time in the basement with the half-liche...
Without blinking, he said: "Yes, he's alive, and here. You know what, a message came in for him just now, so I'll give you the name of your mentor and you can go bring him the message, provided that afterwards, you'll go contact your mentor. Is that okay?"
Alustariel Urdil
Civus

'Oh!' her face lit up with the news, Alu had never felt so happy in years. She looked upon the Porter with immense gratitude for the unforeseen news he had brought her.

'Thankyou, I think you can understand how much word of his well being means to me'

'But, I lose myself, and my purpose, for as you have said I will see Ashtallion in time.'

For the first time she wrapped her head around the concept of her current situation, she had just been admitted to the University of Magick, and she was about to go into places Feghstaff had never shown her, and above all, she was going to see her brother. The sun outside seemed all the brighter of Alustariel.

'I would happily deliver my brother's message, and await the name of my mentor with eagerness' she beamed.

Porter's Words

Post by Guest »

"Right, right," the porter said. He looked up a few things while he wrote out a form for Alustariel. "Let's see..." he continued, mumbling more to himself than to the adhiel, "Berrack's full, mr. Motricé is still being trained... I don't think Soremval is waiting for another right now. Elric is sick... ah!" He looked up at Alustariel again. "Here we are. Alexu Auros still has a few holes in his attendance sheet. I'm sure he can squeeze you in. He's with the Physique & Augmentations faculty, where no doubt you'll end up, too." He then proceeded to give the girl directions to the spire that housed the P&A faculty, and how to find mr. Auros' room.
"Is there anything?" he asked. "Otherwise, you ought to get going."
Remembering, he took Ashtallion's message out of a desk drawer and handed it to Alustariel. It was in an expensive envelope, with the seal of the Caesar's government stamped onto it. "An invitation, that is," the porter said. "Not many got that invitation, I can tell you. Some of them got invited to the dinner, but this is a whole different thing."
He gave her a kind smile, followed by directions on how to get to Elvin Motricé's office, to whom Ashtallion had been assigned only this very afternoon.
"Oh, and, by the way, if you get hungry," - it was approaching eventide - "you're free to use the student cafeteria. I promise you'll survive the food."
Alustariel Urdil
Civus

Listening intently, Alustariel accepted the document meant for Ashtallion. She looked it over and examined the seal, the seal of Anochrim, she thought, must be important. Placing her curiosity aside she placed it into her satchel.

She was to train under another master, one who would take her further than Feghstaff ever dared to, and Alustariel was more excited than scared, she repeated the name over and over in her head.

Alexu Auros.....

But the Porter was right, she had spent far too much time standing idle, and now she collected her things and smiled up to him.

'Many thanks, you have been most helpfull sir. May the Mother send her blessings'

And with that Alustariel Urdil made her way towards the nearest stairs, reciting the Porter's directions to the Physique & Augmentations spire.
Corbin Dillon
Noble Apprentice

Post by Corbin Dillon »

(Timestamp Samheen 17th Morningtide)

Having spent the night at The Burpin' Dragon, Corbin rose early as was customary for him, and headed in the direction of the University with a sense of anticipation and excitement. Years of courtly practice had taught him how to control such emotions, and so as he approached the University's towering presence he was doing his best to appear nonchalant. He walked with a slow and considered pace, allowing him the time to examine the wonderous sights that he was beholding for the first time. The arch that he walked through had twenty signs on it, intricately constructed and realised, that displayed the immense quality that the University possessed.

Having passed through the gates Corbin continued at his slow pace, making his way into the hall that again contained countless sights that he would have gladly stopped and stared at, if that wasn't such a common thing to do. Instead he glanced at one or two things that interested him, and studied them with quick interest before identifying the reception desk and heading towards the man sat behind it.

"Good day, my man." Corbin began cheerfully. "I wonder if you would be so good as to provide me with some assistance. I wish to enrol in the University." Corbin said matter of factly, as if he perceived there to be no trouble whatsoever in his request.

Post by Guest »

Corbin

The clerk looked up, here we go again, another one he thought.

"Enrol, Enrol ? You do not just Enrol here young man, you ask to join, you ask if there is any master willing to teach you, but most of all, you tell me what it is that interests you in magick, and what experience you have".

The clerk then waved passed his hand on the sheet of paper in front of him, and there at the top appeared 'Corbin Dillon'.

"Well, come on then, I do not have all day you know".
Corbin Dillon
Noble Apprentice

Post by Corbin Dillon »

Corbin looked at the paper that suddenly had his name on it with a look of enjoyment, rather than surprise. He thoroughly expected such marvels to be happening near enough every other minute in the University of Magick, and as such he was delighted to see it.

"My word, that was impressive." Corbin said, before catching himself. "Ah, well, as you no doubt know already my name is Corbin Dillon. My experience of magick is... well, limited. I have no practical experience, though I suspect you might be faintly worried were I to inform you that I had been dabbling with some book or other I'd discovered. No, my experience with magick is purely from study. I am a great lover of knowledge you see, I have perused the family library for any book on the subject that I could find and found it a most fascinating subject. I have no desire of power from magick, not at all. I seek to expand my mind to the new possibilities that magic could offer. I have a keen mind, a strong spirit, a desire to learn and an impressive self control - even if I do say so myself." Corbin paused for a moment and reflected that the last sentence would probably have had more dramatic effect had he chosen three qualities rather than four, but he had wanted to get them all in. "As far as a specific area of magic, well I suspect that it shall find me once I begin my studies, but I would most certainly want to be of service to the city and government, and these are times of darkness so perhaps learning the abilities to fend off said darkness would be a good start, what?" Corbin asked with slightly less confidence than before, if seeking the approval of the clerk. He suddenly, and belatedly, remembered the beginning of the clerks conversation.

"Oh, ah, and yes I wish to ask to join," he started clumsily "and would know if there is a master who would deign to take me on." Corbin's attempt at self-deprecation was not particularly persuasive, mainly due to very little practice on the subject.

Post by Guest »

*Corbin*

The Clerk looked up at Corbin with a slight smile on his face, "I hope you took a breath during that long speech".
He waved his hand once more and a short synopsis of what Corbin had said.
"Hmm, read a little, no practice. A dangerous mix sometimes".
He looked a little closer at the man, "Though you do seem to be a sensible chap".
He looked over the sheet again, "Ah, well there's a start, defenses against the darkness. Yes you are right strange things have occurred recently, some not that nice either. Now let me see, I'm sure we had a directive about that".

The clerk turned to the side and a small tray of papers appeared, after looking through the first few he gave a small cry of Triumph, "Ah, I thought so, we have a new Professor started, teaching Defensive magic, shielding, redirection and such. Now let us see how you get on with him".

Turning over Corbin's sheet he wrote something down, "Now on the back here are directions to Professor Moores's classroom, and also directions to the Campus complex. You might want to drop your things off in your room there, just select an empty one, your things will be quiet safe".

He handed the sheet to Corbin, "There you go young man give this to the professor when you get there, good luck", and muttered under his breath, "You'll need it".
With a smile he waved Corbin away.

OOC:
Please join the this thread for Professor Moore's classroom....(A Defence against the Dark: An Initiation)....
https://tazlure.nl/board/viewtopic.php?t=7130

If you want to post dropping your stuff in the room, go here (The Campus Complex) https://tazlure.nl/board/viewtopic.php?t=5890

You may do both at the same time if you wish.
Becca Acerbi
Tazlure Supporter

Becca arrives. Here starts the problems.

Post by Becca Acerbi »

Becca walked in, realising - rather belatedly - that she could no longer feel her left hand. Unwinding the strap of her backpack from her wrist and trying to rub some feeling back into her fingers, the girl looked around her with something similar to curious, over-awed joy.

'It's... huge...' was the first thought that came to her mind. Huge, while not quite doing the place justice, was all her stunned mind would come up with. The smile on her face was small by ordinary standards, but a completely new expression for her.

She drifted across the room towards the desk, her - now functioning - hands rising automatically to the loose end of her braid. One finger tangled itself itself in the ribbon, while the others carded through the gingery-brown hair.

She opened her mouth to say something to the man behind the desk - momentarilly oblivious to the man already there - and stopped. She could almost hear the voices of her family, Becca Acerbi without a word to say for herself? The God's are too kind...

Well. She'd wait. He'd notice her eventually, and if he didn't, she could use the time to think of what to say.
Last edited by Becca Acerbi on Sun Oct 03, 2004 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<Becca> I am all in favour of getting Elvin laid. I am not in favour of getting Becca blown to little squishy bits
<Sevti> That's a sig line if I ever heard one.
Avatar drawn by the amazing Finn!
Corbin Dillon
Noble Apprentice

Post by Corbin Dillon »

Corbin listened patiently and politely as the man spoke and took note of any important pieces of information that he revealed. Corbin liked the sound of 'defences against the dark' - it had a certain poetic resonance and it sounded suitably impressive. As the man handed out the paper Corbin took it, read it and memorised the information on it, before looking back up.

"Thank you very much, my man. No doubt I shall see you around." With that he nodded and moved away. As he did so he noticed a young lady, younger even than himself, walking towards the same desk he had been at. He nodded to her pleasantly, wondering if he would see her around.
Becca Acerbi
Tazlure Supporter

Didn't see HIM there...

Post by Becca Acerbi »

Becca blinked at the man she'd somehow managed to miss (how she'd done that she didn't know, he was a few inches taller, and had been right in front of her) - he nodded to her as he walked away, and she managed to give him a small smile, her hand leaving her hair in what could have been a wave.
There was a slight temptation to turn and talk to him, but she told herself sternly - and pretty ruefully as well - that he was probably to busy to talk to her. And if she was going to get slung out ('Pessimisstic? ME?') it wouldn't do her much good to start chatting to the students...

"Hi," she said, her voice showing her nervousness by all-but disappearing. The woman damned her tongue mentally for not knowing when to stay still. Oh well. If she was lucky, it would go unnoticed.

The porter seemed to be ignoring her in favour of the papers on his desk, so Becca's fingers left her hair and drifted towards the bag straps. She had a couple of her favourite books in there - all her parents would let her take from the shop.

But it would be rude, and would probably annoy someone... She let her fingers drop, and returned to people watching. Or "person-watching" as the case may be.
Last edited by Becca Acerbi on Sun Oct 03, 2004 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<Becca> I am all in favour of getting Elvin laid. I am not in favour of getting Becca blown to little squishy bits

Post by Guest »

*Becca*

The clerk suddenly seemed to notice Becca, "Eh, what, where you come from". He shook his head, where are they coming from, the woodwork?.

"Well, Well what do you want, speak up girl, or leave me in peace, its your choice".

The clerk stared at her, making it obvious that she had better speak quick, or this time be ignored for good.
Last edited by Guest on Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Becca Acerbi
Tazlure Supporter

Noticed

Post by Becca Acerbi »

(OOC: Thanks! I was gonna post earlier this evening and decided not to push my luck)

Becca quickly bit her tongue before it said anything she'd regret (Something along the lines of 'I'm here, what do you think I want?), and then grinned. If he'd been nice, she'd have been flustered. As it was, prickliness set her at her ease. "I came to ask if I could join." As an afterthought, she added "Sir."

"I would like to study here," she clarified. (Duh, her mind added.) "Preferably in an Illusionary or an Elemental field." She blinked, then reviewed what she'd just said, decided she sounded like a teacher, and carried on explaining. "I can't really decide. Illusionary sounds more interesting, but Elemental is more practical." Her grin turned wry and self-deprecating - she'd become an expert at mixing "Wry" and anything. "If you could make a reccomendation to a poor, indecisive novice, it would be greatly appreciated. Sir."
Last edited by Becca Acerbi on Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Elvin Motricé
Retired staff

Post by Elvin Motricé »

The clerk snorted: "Huh, they all seem to be indecisive these days. Back in my day we all knew exactly what we wanted. Lets see... If you want to become a fireball hurling mage of sorts and do loads of damage go and pick Elementalism as your main course of study. If working with the illusive, playing tricks on people's mind is more your style you can pick that."

With a snap of his finger and a strange word a drawer in the desk opened, a scroll floated out of it, settled on the desk and unrolled.
"- and so's Mister Motricé." Becca smiled wryly. "He's probably going to go - he's not set anything on fire for a few months, so he's got to be going through withdrawal by now." ~ Becca Acerbi
Becca Acerbi
Tazlure Supporter

(Happy Birthday Becca?)

Post by Becca Acerbi »

The girl smothered a grin; she officially liked this guy. But then, he did his little trick with the drawer and the scroll and she blinked at in with that same puzzled glee she'd been repressing since her arrival.

"Did you do that?" she asked before she could help herself. "Or do you get some to make 'em specially?" Before he could answer, she started twirling strands of hair around her finger, thinking about what was now a simple choice.

"I think I'd prefer to mess with people's heads if it's all the same to you sir. Much more my style." Her grin turned demonic, and her eyes sparkled. "Not that I would... Not without a good reason anyway... Yeah, Illusions. Please. Sir."

(OOC: Your timing is amazing. It's my birthday, and you post! It's almost spooky. Mostly cool.)
Elvin Motricé
Retired staff

Post by Elvin Motricé »

OOC: Happy birthday, even if I'm a bit late :)

IC:
The clerk managed a small smile and quickly scribed something on the scroll without answering any of her questions. He rolled it shut, took a cube of wax, pressed his finger against it and let a drop of the now molten wax fall on the scroll, rapidly pressing a sigil of a sword emblazoned with three stars into the cooling wax.

He handed Becca the scroll: "Professor Imrelinda, will conduct your intake. Just follow the orb." A wave of his hand and a blue orb sprang into existance a feet from Becca's face floating in the air motionless for a moment before taking off at a slow pace..."
"- and so's Mister Motricé." Becca smiled wryly. "He's probably going to go - he's not set anything on fire for a few months, so he's got to be going through withdrawal by now." ~ Becca Acerbi
Becca Acerbi
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Becca Acerbi »

(OOC: Thank you!)

'aah... he probably did do himself then..' Becca noted, nodding to herself. She accepted the scroll, managing a clumsy curtsey (Manners had never been her strong point. Grace was a similar point). The girl scrutinised it idly, running a thumb over the now-cool imprint. Swords and stars.

"Imrelinda?" she muttered under her breath. "Right..." Raising her dry voice to a more normal level, she thanked the man and followed the orb.

She wasn't beaming with pleasure as she moved away. Not at all. And she wasn't resisting the temptation to bat at the ball in the way a cat would.

Yeah right.

Change of Guard

Post by Guest »

Timestamp: After midsun, Samheen 18th

It was about that time. After a long couple of days of duty, during which a couple of strange things had happened. The porter was tired, and according to University rule, he was due a day off.
His replacement, Mr. Glenn from the Administration, was an older man, possibly somewhere in his fourties. He wore glasses, and was constantly engaged in reading some book or other; despite the fact that he knew no magick and had no academic aspirations, it was a well-known fact that mr. Glenn devoured more books each month than most of the people in Magickal Research combined.
Now his shift started, and he would be here for a few days.

((ooc: for my fellow mods - I'm taking gated duty for now, since the rest of you have got enough to juggle about as it is. Carry on!))
Eva

Post by Eva »

Eva stepped through the grand arch leading into the University. "Thank you", she said to Jimbo, as he dropped her chest at the university door. Eva entered staring in amazement. “This is more than I excepted” Eva muttered to herself. She glanced around the hall taking in the surroundings.

Eva gracefully walked up to the desk pulling her large wooden chest behind her. "hello, my name is Eva Laws and I would like to enroll at the University of Magicks" she said cheerfully to the clerk.

The Glenns of Misunderstanding

Post by Guest »

Mr. Glenn looked up from the compact tome called 'notes on the re-enactment of semi-demonicized subculinary rites, volume III' he was reading as Eva approached. Putting on a kind smile that was clearly not all that genuine, he welcomed her.
"Well, if magick's what you're looking for, you've certainly come to the right place, err, Sheba. Enrollment is certainly possible."
He took an empty sheet of parchment and dipped a pin into black, glistening ink.
"I'll need you to tell me a little about yourself, Sheba, since we need to fill in a personal record for you. After that, I'll have some questions."

Return to “The Citadel proper Archive”