Deep into that darkness peering... :Dorian Drake Samheen 16

Moderator: Mods

Post by Guest »

Dorian knew of the one, massively life-changing event that had involved darkness. "Not clearly.....except for some parts," he said slowly, even more slowly than usual. The affable, content look on his face had faded to one of deep concern. "I was too young to know a lot of what happened then. Who fought against the Shadows ? Is there anyone still around from that war ?" There had been a war....that was why his father had left on that ship, to go fight in it. Old Nate Drake had found him, and had become his father then. Old Nate of course did not speak of the past, because it had frightened the young boy.

Whatever evil there was, had come back, and he had a sneaking suspicion that he was somehow responsible for it in some small way....as in the ivory mapcase.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

"Oh sure there'd be those around that fought before but older now. In these parts, t'was the elves that kept it from swallowin' us alive in blackness," she shuddered. "T'was a dark time lad, scary time. Elves had strength bein' closer ta nature and natural magics and it was magics which put the darkness back where it belonged," he nodded.

"Tales tell of great deeds done round the world and from the Seven Isles, was a group, Party of Light they called 'em, that put the darkness back in place and locked it away. Not sure how much stock ya can put in tales out o' the Seven Isles though," she grinned.

"Times 're dark and certainly tragic with the orc raids and the wet summer but tis still a long way from the days before the big war. Though I did hear a tale of someone comin' back from the elven lands in the north. Said they were all gone, just disappeared leavin houses and belonging's behind and the few who'd not go were spelled somehow and in a sleep no one could wake em from," she nodded somberly.

"I spect if I was darkness and the elves kept me back last time, I'd sure want ta get rid o' them early on so perhaps there's more devils roamin' about than we think, only hidden?" her voice grew hushed at the thought of hidden evil lurking about her. A misty whisp of something moved into sight to the left of the fisherman. The smokey column gave the strange appearance of a young man walking through, arms loaded with wood for the fire.
[color=hotpink][i]The secret of success is sincerity. Once you can fake that you've got it made.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Dorian's eyes tracked the apparition, but he was much more of a watchful sort than one to react in any foolish manner. Very Drakeish, to watch and wait. "I reckon so," he said, very slowly, until it was out of sight. It seemed harmless enough. Then he spoke again, his attention refocused. "If the elves have gone away I reckon those who are left had best tend to the matter."

He had no idea where to start looking for heroes, nor how to persuade them to go be heroic. "Who'd know about this Party of Light ? Was it writ down in a book ?" Books could tell you things that had happened long ago, but frisky young Selkie lads had little ability to sit still and learn their ways, even if the work permitted such a luxury. He couldn't read, and could barely recognise a letter or two.

Hmmmm.....this did sound mighty bad, at any rate. Still, they couldn't expect the Elves to come skipping back and save the day, so someone had better get on it. Dorian would not have nominated himself in any sort of heroic role, but when push came to shove hard enough, he was there to do the job. Most expecially now, since he had a reason to save the world...it was more important now that Maranda was in his life.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Without taking notice of any at the table, the apparition moved over to the stack of wood and deposited his phantom load, turned and made his way back the way he had come with all the gravity that one could muster in such a job. Watching the boy perform his chore one might have thought the fate of the city rested in his hands alone, delivering that wood. Though Dora was facing the scene, she seemed not to notice anything out of the ordinary while Maranda's back was to the young ghost of a man.

Meanwhile, the cook nodded to Dorian's question about the war being writtne down.

"Oh aye, I would think it should be. Palace library ought ta have somethin' about it though can't say how much it'd say about the Seven Isles involvement in it." The round woman shook her head.

"Never know what ta believe about those folks believin' in strange gods and all."

"Now Aunt Dora," the blonde hugged the woman. "No different than the elves that follow the Mother. Priests say they are just different names for the same thing. Why our village followed after the Mother too," she grinned and winked at Dorian.

"Though I figure that anything the palace has is gonna only tell the story the way the palace wants it told. Same with anythin' from the church," she nodded and sipped her tea.
[color=hotpink][i]The secret of success is sincerity. Once you can fake that you've got it made.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Dorian made no mention of the ghost, merely tracked it as it went along again, endlessly repeating a task. Then he got his thoughts back in order...or tried to.

"The palace says things ?" he said, sounding confused, because it was difficult for him to focus on two things at once. He left the ghost to its chores and focused. He thought the palace was just around to collect taxes, that there was anything he needed to fret about was a new one. "I don't understand all the fuss about it. Maybe there's someone who fought in the war, I can find him and ask him about it." Redlon knew a bit about it....maybe he knew some of the heroes' names that fought in it. "Dunno about the palace library, isn't that just for the royalty and all that ? Would they just let someone in...who could read ?"

He didn't have any use for the church, either, apart from a/someone to sell lobsters to b/someone to read things for him that needed reading. Other than that, it was a building in the town with interesting windows.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Mostly round these parts, the great war was fightin' the orc, a low masculine voice drifted through Dorian's thoughts. behind him, the smokey figure of an old man hovered, tall and thin with what was left of his thinning and receeding hair pulled back into a neat ponytail.

Dora chuckled and shook her head, "Not sure who they let inta the palace ta read in the library. I've ne'er been in the palace myself," she grinned again.

All that other magic stuff was Seven Isles and other nations, the deep melodic voice continued.

"Findin' someone who fought in it shouldn't be that hard," Maranda spoke up. "After all, s'not been that long ago so not like they are all dead. Guess ye'd just have ta ask about and see?"

World wide it was, this outbreak of darkness, the voice went on, hardly more than a whisper in the fisherman's mind, but not the same everywhere it showed itself just as now. In one area, mortal was baited to strive against mortal to the death while in another, nature strove to be free of the contamination of mortals and rose up in its own way.

"I'd think anyone o'er the age of 30 fought the war here," the cook agreed with her neice. "Though mostly t'was orcs we fought. Those days were much like now save the beasties never made it to the city walls."

Look for Aldebaran, the masculine voice breathed the name almost reverantly. To the north, not half a days journey, you'll find him in a stone cottage.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Dorian was not known for his brains, so he looked terribly distracted trying to listen to a voice and to the two women. "Huh ? What ?" he managed, after a long delay, not really sure what to listen to, and how to settle his thoughts. Then, resolutely, he set off to try to organise his thoughts, just as he would set off rowing across the lake, slow and steady. "Allllll right......" he said slowly. He did not turn around, not yet, not until his thoughts were in order. "So.....there were orcs then, too. And I should look for someone....who fought in the war. That's a good idea....."

But he abhorred travelling on land. You couldn't see the water and he got travel-sick. A half day out, a half day back, maybe a second day because he would have to stop to be dizzy and sick, but this city was His Personal City and he knew that when it came to the end of keeping it safe, there was one man left standing to do the job and that was Dorian Drake.

He nodded. "I'll go find a man who fought in the war," he said, making the decision.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Dora eyed the young man for several flickers, studying him intently as he declared his intent to find someone who fought in the great war and nodded.

"What's eatin' at ya Dorian," the cook asked softly. "What's this need ta talk ta someone that fought that battle?" she continued to study his face. Meanwhile, the misty apparition of the boy carting his armful of wood reappeared. Seemingly oblivious of the group at the table, he moved resolutely to the wood pile and dumped another ghostly load before turning to leave once again.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Dorian regarded Dora with eyes like the deep lake, framing up his answer, resolution evident in the serious look on his face. Being a hero was not his intent; his intent was to see to the welfare of the town he lived in, the place where he made his money and his wife was. That was a place worth defending, where before he would have just loaded his worldly goods into the boat and rowed away.

"_Someone_ has to see to it," he said slowly, eventually. "If not me, then who ?"

His gaze drifted to the ghost, watched him for a few flickers, then returned to Dora. "Maybe when the shadow is dealt with proper, then the ghosts can rest," he said, in a softer tone. It must be the Fae blood, that made him more able to see them. "Like the boy with the firewood."
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

"Ghosts?" the cook's eyebrows arched up suddenly. "What do you mean Dorian?" she squeaked out, her normally mellow voice suddenly an octive higher and full of tremors. Beside her, the blonde's eyes opened in wonder as she began to look around.

"Here? You see ghosts here Dorian? Where?" she asked excitedly as she looked around the room, not seeing the young lad lay his phantom wood by the fire, turn and leave the room. As he exited the room, the ghostly figure of a barmaid swished in with a tray of empty mugs on her hip, giving a nod and smile to the youngster before depositing the tray by the sink. The young man returned her smile and waved as he continued out of the room.
Last edited by Shaeliana on Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

"They're......just folks, who haven't finished up their living," Dorian said, slowly, his eyes tracking them. "A boy with firewood, a barmaid that smiles back at him. Things need to be settled right, or they won't rest. They're not like the shadow I saw before, they're just....echoes of regular people."

He returned his attention to Dora and Miranda. "I'll leave in a day or so, soon as I've learned the way there and got up supplies to travel. There's leviathan meat, and I'll put up a catch of fish too."
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Glancing about the room, a slight frown creased Aunt Dora's forehead as she looked at her neice, eyes echoing the questions she had inside. This wasn't like Dorian at all. He had always been stable and predicatable. You could almost set your watch by him. Tonight he was talking about shadows that no one else saw and... ghosts? Maranda on the other hand, searched the room for the aetherical entities with some excitement, frowing slightly only when she saw nothing. Neither were prepared for his next words however.

Eyes widening in surprise, the two women looked at one another and back to Dorian. Maranda put her hand on the fisherman's arm.

"Leavin'? Where? Why?" the blonde asked, perplexed at the fisherman's unusual twist of behavior.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

"To go find the man who fought in the war, and ask him questions," Dorian said patiently. "Don't like land travel, but I'll manage, I reckon." He regarded them with the calm blue eyes, like the lake on a still day, abandoning his watching of the ghosts. They'd go about their business until someone was able to unlock their path to the afterlife, he figured. They didn't seem to be doing anything but echoing their past. That must be wearing on a soul.

"I'll probably be gone three days," he said. One day to walk there, being sick, and a day to rest and ask questions, and a day to shuffle back. "Maybe less, if I can manage. Someone has to do it, and it's not like I can march up to the King, or whoever's running the kingdom, and ask him to go along and find out." Whomever was running the kingdom was really none of Dorian's concern, just like it wasn't the King's concern about Dorian and his fishing. He paid his taxes and did his work, and did not fret over such things.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

"Across land?" the blonde muttered, staring wide eyed at her husband as her mind raced in a flurry of confusion. Dorian hated traveling on land and who was this he was suddenly so eager to go talk to across the land when only moments ago he was wondering who might have knowledge of that war?

"Dorian, there's sure ta be folks here in town that fought in the war. Who is it ya want ta be seein' so far away? You hate ta travel on land," Maranda asked softly, suddenly worried and afraid for her fisherman. He had been seeing things, dark things and now he was talking nonsense about going away across the land. Dora laid her hand on her neice's arm and Maranda swept it away.

"No, Aunt Dora. I'll go anywhere Dorian wants ta go, but I have ta understand why he's wantin' ta do this or I'll spend all my time frettin' about it," she turned back to Dorian.

"I love you Dorian Drake an I don't mean ta be loosin' ya so soon," a soft smile curled the corners of her lips as she laid her hand on Dorian's arm.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

"Aye, wife," Dorian agreed with her, in his slow, deliberate way. "There's folks in town, but there's one outside of the town I have to talk to, who has the ken of things mostly forgotten, who can tell me how to get rid of the shadows. He's on land, so there I must go." He smiled at Maranda. "Ye'll not lose me, my wife; it's not so far."

He patted the hand on his arm, looking into her pretty blue eyes. "If I didn't think it could wait, or didn't need doing, I'd not go, my love. Our home is here, and it's my place to keep it safe. If that means travelling on land...." He fought down a wince, unsuccessfully, "So be it."

He would bring in a catch, and set out the next dawn for.....a stone cottage, on the north road. Even if every step was roiling misery, on land where he stumbled, where there wasn't any water to speak of.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

While she knew that Dorian would do everything possible to come back to her and stay whole, she also knew that the fates didn't always cooperate. Still, she pushed back the thread of worry that threatened to engulf her, smile and kissed her husband's cheek.

"I know ya wouldn't. It'd be the first time since we were wed that I'll be without ya for more than the daylight hours," she offered softly, realizing how comforting she found his presence and the knowledge that he would be home by dark. Still, it wasn't as if three days was an eternity.

"Perhaps I'll come stay with Aunt Dora while your away," she smiled. "Will give me less time ta miss ya in the evenin' helpin' out here in the kitchens," a suggestion the round cook smiled and nodded in agreement to.

"Of course, ya know your welcome any time child," she chuckled. "And Dorian'll be home b'fore ya know it." Behind them, the noise of the common room had died down to a soft murmur as the evening rolled on and the diners went home.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

"Mmmmph," pouted Dorian, who'd grown quite accustomed to snuggling beside Maranda, of an evening. "I'll miss you, my dear wife." Drat and blast the shadow for making him go onto LAND. How inconsiderate the forces of darkness were being.

"I'll hurry. As much as I can. You know I'm not so fast, if water's not near." Maybe without the rocking of the wagon he'd also be able to keep his meals down...and maybe he wouldn't fall down so much. "I'll hear how to get rid of the shadow and I'll get rid of it, or tell them as can do it how to do it." They might not listen, but Old Nate Drake said you couldn't demand your fishhook to catch a fish, you just had to bait it and fish.

He nodded, glad that Maranda would be under Aunt Dora's eye. "I'll still go out on the lake tomorrow, so that you're not wanting for fish, and maybe stop round at the healer's too for poor Fin," he said. "Then I'll go." He wouldn't delay, but he wasn't going to rush out.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

"Tis all set then," Dora proclaimed. "Not sure I understand just what's got inta ya Dorian, but rememberin' how ye were in the wagon, I trust ye'd not go unless ya felt a dire need. Of course Maranda can stay here," she put her hand over the blonde's reassuringly.

"And he'll be home b'fore ya know it," she smiled. Behind her, the ghostly figure of an older man in military clothing, trudged across the kitchen and up stairs that were no longer there after the fire.

"Now, tis late and unless ya plan ta stay and help me clean up the kitchens, ye'd best be on yer way home," the cook stood to her feet and turned to the two.

"If I don't see ya before you go Dorian, you take care. We need ya ta come home to us safe and sound," she said as she hugged the fisherman, then turned to her neice.

"And I'll see ya t'morrow," she hugged Maranda and ushered the pair out of the kitchen.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Dorian hugged back his Aunt Dora, and happily said good night. "T'will be all right, wife," he said, as he walked back to the humble shack with Maranda. "I will be walking, so I hope I'll be better off than when we went to be married."

He really didn't have a lot to say, which was normal enough for Dorian. It was enough for him to manage the cobblestones, on the way home. But there was a lot unsaid; the gentle clasping of her hand, in his big-knuckled, calloused fisherman's paw, the way he looked at her in the rushlight. He wasn't a rich man, but had a comfortable existance, or at least, one he was comfortable in. They did not go cold or hungry, and if she wished something, she could more than likely have it, for all of him. He only needed his boat, his fishing gear, and the most basic items to be perfectly content with his world...and, of course, the company of Maranda, his joy and delight, his companion....his wife.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

It was a comfortable silence between the two as they walked hand in hand through the city streets towards home. The clouds had thickened and lowered and the scent and feel of impending rain hung heavy in the air as a brisk wind blew hair and clothing on this early autumn evening. Once home, Maranda stirred the embers of the fire adding a stick of wood to take the chill off of the room.

"Dorian," she mused as she tended the fire. "Could ya always see ghosts and shadows and such? D'ya think it b'cause of yer selkie blood? Or somethin' else? I was thinkin' perhaps somethin' with the merfolk, but I was down there too and I didn't see ghosts, though I tried hard," she chuckled and snuggled next to her husband, running her long cool fingers through his thick dark hair.

"And I'll miss ya horrible whilst yer gone even if it is necessary," she turned her face up to him, brushing soft pink lips across his with a naughty smile.

"T'night, I plan ta have my fill o' you ta make up for it," she whispered huskily as she nibbled at his ear. "Unless you've some objection," she added very softly almost as an afterthought while her lips traveled down his neck.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Dorian paused to think, which always took a little while. Longer, when she was distracting him so. Finally, he gave a slight shrug. "I reckon it's the Selkie blood," he said. "There were three ghosts in the tavern, that I saw, and I weren't looking hard."

He smiled back at her, and kissed her, and sighed happily as she trailed kisses down his neck. Strong hands roamed over her fragile form, gently, mapping out the lithe curves. It was very easy to convince Dorian Drake that Maranda wanted some husbandly attention. He nuzzled the line of her jaw, breathing warm air on her throat, then lifted his head and gazed into her eyes. "Maranda, I love ye; forget it not, though my path takes me away from ye soon."

He kissed her softly, then cuddled her into his arms, kissing her with rising passion. It would be difficult indeed to leave her !
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

While she knew he would return, the still fairly new bride couldn't help the impulse to drink in as much of Dorian as she could... from the sight of him and his intense blue eyes to the lilt of his voice, the touch of his hand. Without meaning to, she found herself fixing this moment in her memories, a moment to carry her through the next few days without him.

His declaration of love struck a chord deep within her heart, her reply clearly evident in gray eyes that gazed back in adoration. Smiling happily, her hands moved to the laces on her bodice as she whispered huskily, "as I love you, Dorian and will count the days til you return."

Making quick work of the laces, clothing was discarded between kisses and as the cold rain began to come down in earnest outside, Maranda lay naked in the warmth of her fisherman's arms. Oblivious to the the world outside their door, the two created their own reality of ravenous desire consummated in glorious bliss.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Dorian revelled in the glory of his wife's passion, and at long last, lay sated in her arms, where sleep claimed him. The warmth of the small shack was proof against the elements outside, and the two would weather storms...and separations...all in their time.

He was a man of devotions, though he was not religious. He was devoted to his wife and her welfare; he was devoted to his trade of fishing. He was also set on handling a problem that it was likely no one else would understand, nor undertake - finding someone who knew how to make the Shadows go away, and leave the place where he lived in peace, so that he could live there with his wife. The thought of raising a family among shades and evil spirits and other creatures was repellant to him. Since he could not explain it to anyone else without being thought strange, he was going to do it himself. He had always been strange, but then, he reflected, he had Selkie blood, and that made a strangeness of its own.

OOC: I need another GM for Layton, please let me know if you have any suggestions.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

The rain pattered noisily outside as the two slept, a deep restful sleep, the blonde nestled next to her husband, the cat contentedly curled up at their feet. Several marks before sunrise the rain subsided and the clouds began to thin and break up. By the time the sun peeked over the horizon, the clouds had retreated high into the sky.

A good half mark before the sun actually rose, Cat awoke and began to pace on the fisherman meowing softly. Maranda's soft blonde curls lay sprawled on her husband's chest, her breathing still slow and deep in sleep. The cat pranced softly up on Dorian's chest, reached a paw out and gently touch the Selkie's cheek.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

OOC: I am going to close this thread so I can skill it and ready you to move to the next phase... please continue on in Winds of Change! :)

I will try to get this skilled in the next day or so. If it isn't done by the end of this week.. please nudge me in a PM? :)

As for a mod for Layton, someone has already picked that up but I don't recall who had claimed it right now. Syra will be PMing you tomorrow I am sure. :)
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Return to “On the Water Archive”