Enterance Thread for Barrett

Moderator: Mods

rhoddin

Enterance Thread for Barrett

Post by rhoddin »

The soft brush of the salty air finally wakes you up. There is sand between your fingers. A beach! The rushing sound of the gentle waves breaking a few yards from where you lay sprawled on the sand confirms your suspicions. Your mind is empty and you have absolutely no clue how you landed here.

As you look around you see the beach is empty. In the distance some gigantic crabs scurry away. Your eyes kid you not, they are indeed as big as pigs, with vicious claws to match. But they seem more scared of you than you are of them.

In between the gentle dunes, with fair tops of waving seagrass, that mark the end of the beach you notice a small path. At the beginning of the path you see several items on the ground, shining metal sparkling in the sunlight. A small awkwardly written notice, that surprisingly even the illiterate can read, says

"Please leave all weapons here. Beyond this point the gods will provide."
Barrett
Priest of Aurelius - Querist

Post by Barrett »

"Pfah!"
The young man tried to clear salt and bits of sand from his mouth. Leaping up in a panic he rushed to make certain that the books he carried were not damaged. Reassured by their condition, he turned his attention to his surroundings.
"Now how in the world...?"
"Where" was obviously the Isle. Or at least Barrett hoped it was.
Let's see... no debris, so a shipwreck is unlikely. In fact judging by the intact state of my person there are only three options. One: someone carried me here while I was asleep. Two: magic. Three: I am dreaming.

His analysis was cut short as he caught sight of the over-sized crabs.
"Now that's a fine looking shellfish! Bet it'd go great with some butter 'n' garlic, a fresh mug of Abbey dark!"
The lad's stomach rumbled at the thought, causing him to wonder how long he had been lying on the beach. Then a more serious thought occurred to him.
Dash it! These're probably some sort of holy pet or something if this is the Isle.
"Uh, I'm sorry. If anyone heard that. Don't mean any disrespect."
Watching the crabs scuttle off, he felt a bit ridiculous for the outburst. Still, it couldn't hurt to appease whatever holy guardians might be watching... just in case.

"Now, to be about my business here."
Barrett started toward the path and was puzzled for a moment to find an assortment of knives and other blades- and was that a nice new longbow?- strewn on the sandy ground. Then he noticed the sign.
Makes sense I suppose.
The tall red-haired young man searched his pockets and pack carefully but found no weapons. Not even an eating knife since he'd lost it to one of the sailors in a game of dice.
He shouldered his pack and took off on the path at a speedy jaunt.
Finodborn
Special Branch

Hi Barrett! You player, me your agm!

Post by Finodborn »

Barrett jogged on the path that had been trodden by countless others before him. The well tended fields, replete with crops gently swaying in the mild breeze that swept the Isle, looked inviting. There were people working. Yet barrett, as those before him, was not slowed down or distracted. The path didn't seem to slow him down, but rather incited him to go even faster.

Within no time a group of white buildings appeared before him. The path ended on a dusty square, in front of what was clearly the centrepiece of the settlement, if one could call it that. The entrance, marked by two huge marble pillars, had no doors, only a deep, inviting darkness, that pulled at his very soul to enter, in fact Barrett found the pull of the entrance almost unbearable.
Verum et factum convertuntur.
Avatar by the Artist Currently Known as Eira.
Barrett

Pleased to meet you.

Post by Barrett »

Barrett made good speed down the path, less out of urgency than simple eagerness to get to where he was going. The knowledge that crops were planted and cultivated by what appeared to be mere mortals was reassuring. Perhaps the holy isle was just like any other place.
Of course it is, silly man. What did you expect? Buildings floating in the air?
He chuckled to himself at the thought. Just like him to be making up images in his head fit for a tale when the isle was just as real as his own home place.

As he was beginning to wonder how far he might have traveled, the path came to an end. He took a moment to still himself and make sure he had caught his breath before advancing toward the building.
The two huge pillars called to mind an image from childhood tales. Had the Party of Light perhaps stood in this very spot? The thought awed him. It also shocked him as such reverence was a bit out of character for the glib bartender.

Barrett gave in to the pull from beyond the pillars,. Not knowing what to expect, he walked steadily forward.
"Hello?"
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

Barrett received no response but the echo of his own voice. As he stepped into the hall, his eyes were drawn to the middle of the temple, where light fell in through the roof. There was a pool right under it, sparkling in the sunlight.

As his eyes adjusted to the darkness he saw four small channels run away from the pool, where overflow water would be easily drained.

At the far end of the pool a large decorative construction hung over the pool, almost like an aquaduct. Darker in colour than the rest of the stone, there was a suggestion that water flowed regularly from its top, about ten metres high.

But not now. Everything was quiet, hushed, waiting....
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

Barrett entered and was a little disappointed at first to find no one there. He looked about for any signs of how to progress. The shaft of light at the center of the room drew his attention. Especially as it played across the surface of the pool.
More than decoration this, for it's the only thing in here that I can see. So I'm meant to focus on the pool and...
The young man drew nearer the pool to observe it and the light more closely.
... and what? That decoration there- it sort of reminds me of that fountain in the market square over at the capital.

Being fond of measurements and feeling a need for some activity due to the uncomfortable sense of waiting, Barrett tried to calculate the depth and dimensions of the pool to figure out how many barrels that water might fill. He noted the locations of the run-off channels and decided to get a closer look at the structure on the opposite end.

Of course, the best way to do that would be to go into the pool. Being uncertain of the propriety of such an act , he settled for getting as close as he could without getting wet. For safety, he left his backpack with its precious cargo some ways off from the water- near the entrance.
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

As he appraoched the pool, and Barrett's eyes adjusted to the light further, he noted the mosaic tiles that lined the pool, resembling the pattern of the a Kemnboard.

The water was probably about half a human's height, making it comfortable for bathing, althought the solemn atmoshpere hardly seemed to set an environment for such an endoevour. Barrett noticed the harmonical proportions of the dimensions of not only the pool, but the entire room.

As Barrett got closer the pool, he felt the warmth of the warm sun on his face. Then he heard a gurgling sound, and within seconds water streamed down from the decorative structure with such force as to create a strong waterfall. The rush of sound filled his ears and it was as if just beyond his capability of hearing a thousand voices filled his head.
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

The presence of the Kemnboard pattern distracted Barrett from his calculations. It reminded him of his uncle, which in turn made him wonder how things were going back home.
Who would have thought that I would ever be in such a strange and solemn place?

The pool, the mosaic pattern, the entire atmosphere seemed to move Barrett to a state of quiet anticipation. A still energy that sprang into action as fresh water streamed down into the pool. the stillness of the pool became a flurry of activity as the calm waters were invaded by the new mass, all of it intermingling and some splashing gently into the runoff streams.

Barrett was struck by the sound of the waterfall. It broke the silence, jarring his perception and bringing to mind a multitude of voices. It was as if it were a crowded night at the bar and Barrett was trying to listen to every conversation taking place throughout the bar all at once. All those stories and lives mingled into one big noise which swirled around and would later separate, each story changed in some way by its interaction with the whole. Only here the voices of the waterfall all seemed in harmony. If he could just make out the meaning...
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

He'd just started to focus on the sound of the falling water, when the waters of the pool calmed again. If Barrett chose to look around the room, he would notice a woman in a simple white robe standing to the right. Had she been there before? The woman was old and slightly bend, wrinkles cracking up her coarse face. Certainly she was no beauty. Yet she waited serenely, peace radiating from her face and her hands folded in front of her.

When she saw that the young man had noticed her, she smiled. She spoke in a solid but gentle manner, as if performing a ritual she had participated in many times before.

"Blesseth are the new. The gods talk to you, son. Are you ready to learn how to listen?"
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

Barrett was slightly taken aback by the sudden appearance- or revelation- of the old woman. The white robe and her calm manner made her seem as one with this place. The signs of age, her bent posture and wrinkles, meant to Barrett that she had lived long and likely carried a great deal of wisdom.

He returned her smile. A sense of peace and calm radiated from her and did much to counter his uncertainty of what to do in the situation. Here was the ritual greeting he had expected. Only how to proceed? How to return the greeting and accept?

The young man turned to her and folded his own hands in front of him, gave a deep bow and spoke.
"Advanced in knowledge are the elder. I would learn to listen, that I may serve."

Please let me not have offended...
Barrett didn't realize it, but he was holding his breath awaiting a response.
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

The old lady bowed her head for a moment, whether in recognition, or deliberation it was hard to know.

When she raised it again clear grey eyes stared out at Barrett, eyes that seemed to strike to the very core of his soul. Not that you would call them predatory or dangerous, just knowing with the knowledge of ages behind them.

"I can see you are ready to listern son. Cast off your mortal garments and enter the pool of the Oracle. Call to your god and let them speak too you, listern to what they have to say, and be prepared to listern." For such an old frail looking woman, her voice had a resonance that filled the chamber. Though the she was not perticulary warm or friendly, she certainly didn't act offended.

OOC: Barrett, this is your invitation. We know you have chosen your deity already; this is your chance to announce it to the Isle.
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

Silly lad, this is all probably routine for her. Like as not you could've got by with a simple "Yes." Now to- Heh? Cast off...? What? Right here in front of her an' all?!

The only woman who'd ever seen Barrett naked- that he knew of anyway- was his mother. And even that was several years since. He tried to think of this lady as his mother but the images didn't quite mix. His own mother, a portly fireball of a woman came to mind and he heard her voice telling him not to be a fool. Here of all places he had no need to worry about revealing himself.
"Boy! You really think one such as her has nothing better to do than t'be ogling your skinny meat'n'potatoes?"
Barrett almost laughed at this thought, but it did the trick.

Carefully, the strapping red-haired youth disrobed and set his clothing neatly to the side. He resisted the urge to try and cover himself as that would be just plain silly. To his credit he stepped calmly into the pool with his hands at his sides rather than making a run for it. Still, the reddening of his skin gave away his embarrassment.

Once in the water it was easier. The warmth of the sun's rays and the gentle touch of the calm waters seemed to erase the outside world.

"Great Thinker, I come before you seeking knowledge of how best to serve and keep your faith. Lord Aurelius, open my eyes and mind that I might learn my part in the keeping of that which is sacred."
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

There was an eerie silence, which made Barrett feel even more uncomfortable. He couldn't help but feeling gazed at by the old woman, and his cheeks were becoming very red indeed.
The sun was still shining down on the pool, and the little waves caused by Barrett stepping in were all topped by shiny golden tips, as they reflected the sunlight in different angles. Barrett suddenly felt his attention getting completely absorbed by this dancing of the little candle flames. The light blue of the rest of the water darkened, and so did the rest of the room.

Barrett's analytical mind was soon completely focused on discovering the patterns followed by the little lights; there was no longer any background visible. He resisted the urge to wink in order to get rid of the stinging sensation caused by staring. After several burns, he had to give in.

As he opened his eyes again, the lights were still there. However, they no longer seemed to be moving. It was only now he realised that he was watching the stars.

"Pretty fascinating, don't you think?" asked a gentle , rich voice. After a short silence, it continued: "Tell me, son, why do you think you want to devote your life to the Thinker?"
Last edited by Finodborn on Fri May 21, 2004 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

Barrett's eyes followed the flecks of light and his mind fought to keep up.
There's a pattern there. Or several patterns... if only I had the ability to keep up with the calculations quickly enough to discern the relationships. And... oh! It's the sky... the stars anyway. How lovely!
They had stopped moving- or at least stopped moving within his threshold to perceive

The voice did not distract from the panorama. If anything, it seemed part of the pattern to Barrett. The question was difficult to answer. He thought for several burns allowing the patterns of the stars to help him organize a response.

"I suppose it seems natural to me. It is important to keep old knowledge intact and to continue to develop what has already been learned. And I guess I feel like I have a responsibility to do my part both to preserve that which has been discovered and to make my own contributions. Surely secrets should be kept secret, but they should not be lost: they should be available if the need is great and the use of such serves the greater good.
I've seen the good that just the right piece of advice can do. I've also seen the relief in a person's eyes after getting a story off his chest- by simply letting someone share their experiences with me I can lessen their burden and broaden my own view of the world.
My uncle says I have a responsibility to develop my own potential and do my part to .... how does he put it? 'To contribute to the tradition of gathering, developing and strategically dispersing both life teaching and theoretical knowledge.'
I hope to achieve this by serving Aurelius... if the service of a humble bartender and would-be storyteller is acceptable."

"If these are all the stars, or all that I can fit into my field of sight, where are we watching them from?"
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

The voice chuckled with great pleasure. "You are an asker of questions, which I like. Care to take a walk with me?" Barrett felt an arm on his shoulder, gently turning him around. After a full turn he saw a man with eyes of azure and a bald head (except for a little bit of snow on the sides.) Those eyes, they were impressive. They looked at Barrett, and as they scanned him, he couldn't imagine there was anything about him -memory, trait or feature- this man didn't see immediately with that searching glance.

"Surely a bartender is not less worthy than an astronomer, young Barrett, pupil of Jacob. I do not really care for such name tags. What I'm concerned with, however is whether you are starting this adventure with the right expectations. Tell me, what do you think knowledge is? And how do you see yourself gathering and teaching it?"

As Barrett was meditating on his response, the man said with twinkling lights in his eyes, as were he giving a child a sweet: "See that dot there? That's our good old Tazlure." And a broad smile crept upon his face.
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

Barrett turned and was only slightly surprised to see a man who closely resembled the one from his dreams. The lad started to blurt out something about the book, but those eyes stopped him short.

At first he thought the man might be joking.
That dot. Tazlure? But it's no bigger than any of the other specs- in fact smaller than some.
This was a strange sort of map, and a stranger conversation. Barrett felt slightly giddy. But the man had asked him a question.

What is knowledge? This was just the sort of question that Uncle Jacob would pose just before leaving on another of his journeys. What is art? What is life? What is a soul? They always gave Barrett something to think upon to distract from the fact that his beloved uncle was going away again.

"Knowledge. That's tough to pin down, so I'll start out with a generality. Knowledge is awareness of that which is, was or may be. It may be as common as "the sky appears blue" or as specialized as the name of the variety of yeast used to ferment the Abbey's ale. It can be written in books, whispered in temples, passed along as tavern stories and gossip. Learning may be accomplished by reading or listening or, most importantly by observation and experience.

So far most of my learning has involved paying attention to what I'm taught by others- Uncle Jacob, Ma and Pa, various folk passing through town, stories and books. I guess I'd like to further what I already know. With books where necessary, but I'd mostly like to prepare myself to go out into the world and have my own experiences- my own stories to tell and pass on to others. Bars aren't a bad place to learn if you know how to listen. But I'd like to find out what's available here on the isle and there's some things, like maths and writing and languages, that I'll have to do a certain amount of reading to learn

As for teaching, well I reckon storytelling and a good bit of casual advice here and there is fine. Uncle Jacob says it's a lot easier to teach people something new if you can make them think that it's something they've discovered for themselves. I guess it would depend on what I'm sharing and why."

"And what do you mean that's our good old Tazlure? Is this a map of some kind? Surely we're not someplace way up in the heavens?"
Or perhaps we're not at anyplace at all- somewhere outside of-
But he knew not the words to express his suspicions.
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

The man listened attentively, despite the fact that he seemed to know infinitely much more about these things. Barrett couldn't help but feeling like that what he said in this conversation was very important, as if he was being judged on it, which didn't really make him feel comfortable.

"A lot of what you say holds greater wisdom than most of your age have, and probably more than you know yourself. Your uncle has done some good work with you, that's clear. Indeed one can read a thousand books from travelers, explorers, seafarers and geographs, yet one never knows what a journey is until one has made one, don't you agree? And every good teacher knows that one good story indeed leaves deeper tracks than three lectures, no matter how learned and true.

As for knowledge, it is indeed one of these words one can spend a lifetime on to define. In that sense it would be idiotic from me to long for an answer this instance. Yet I do have to know some things about your view on the subject. Tell me, Barrett, do you see knowledge as a chest of precious pearls you carefully select throughout your life, to be polished up, and stored away in a cloth of silk in a nice cedar chest?"

Again the man that seemed neither youthful nor old left a silence. Then he said "Now now, it would be spoiling the fun a bit if I were to tell you where we are and wat all this is right now. It would be depriving you from the fun to find out yourself. Moreover, perhaps I don't know at all what this is myself." He looked like he found that a very amusing idea, winked and then he gave the boy some more time to spend thinking while he himself enjoyed the smile on his own face and the fantastic view.
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

Barrett felt somewhat uncomfortable answering these questions- obviously he was speaking to one who already knew the answers far better than he himself did. Still, the sense that he was being tested or judged pervaded. Still, there was nothing to lose and everything to gain by an honest answer.

"A chest of pearls? Aye, I suppose it's precious that way. Beautiful in its own right. To be collected and cared for and preserved."
Barrett remembered how fascinated he could be with the shapes and the patterns of things, quite apart from any other meaning they may have.

"And certainly one wants to keep it safe- but not always hidden away- otherwise what use is it? Perhaps more like a precious garden to be cultivated and watched over very carefully. The different plants allowed exposure to that which they need to grow. Sometimes bearing fruit, sometimes poison- both beneficial and dangerous in turn. But always growing. One that lasts longer than the lifetime of any man or woman; therefore, the task of cultivation must be passed along from generation to generation."

He felt a bit intimidated all of a sudden- uncertain as to whether his answer would be satisfactory.

The man's jibe about possibly "not knowing at all what this is" sent Barrett's mind off in another direction. For if this were Aurelius, the god of thinking and knowledge, then perhaps his knowledge depended upon what had already been discovered by men. This thought both intrigued and frightened him. He decided not to give it voice.

"I have a long way to go in my studies before I can offer a good theory of where or what this is. Which I suppose is part of why I am here now."
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

OOC: Just on a side note: because for the moment most of my threads are pretty quiet, (and I don't have that many yet,) and mostly because the quality of your posts stays very good, I can -for now- keep up this rate of posting. You aught to know however that in general you can expect a maximum of three posts per thread a weak in Tazlure. Just so you don't get used to this regime :wink:

IC: "A plant is certainly a better analogy. Knowledge is nothing like the pearl I described, you see. Facts are meaningless without a context, and contexts tend to change all the time. Indeed, like a plant can twist, grow towards the sunlight, change colors and lose it's leaves, knowledge changes as time goes by, new experiences come to be etcetera.

Gather not knowledge like solid perfect pearls, nephew of Jacob, for it will make your mind stiff and inflexible. Have open ears an eyes for everything and all, even that which seems futile or absurd, though never take anything for truth without convincing yourself of it's truthfulness. This naturally goes for what I'm saying to you now too." Once more he laughed. One would almost think this man adored his own limitations.

"But do understand, Barrett, that if you are to be a true Thinker, you shall never cherish your wisdom like you'd cherish a chest of pearls. For you will never find any knowledge that is flawless like a pearl. There will always be some sort of doubt about it, or the urge to investigate matters even more deeply. The life of gathering you picture yourself in will be an entire life of gathering without ever having gathered something to keep. It is a process without an end. It is to desire knowledge, knowing you shall never have it. This is not easy, and most are incapable of it. Do you think you are capable?"
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

If the man's laughter caused Barrett to relax somewhat, the words that came next only served to emphasize the gravity of the conversation. The lad knew at once what his answer would be- indeed must be, but he took a moment to consider the man's statement.

"Capable? I believe I may be. Certainly I feel a strong calling for it. If I keep knowledge in trust rather than as a possession, then it cannot be as much of a hardship to let loose of it or see it change if need be. I only hope my judgment may be sufficient to the task."

It occurred to Barrett that what he was asking for was a great honor and adventure in his eyes, but also a potentially exhausting and endless labor. Still, he felt that it was his true purpose, his calling. To deny it would be to deny who he was.

"As for a process without end: I hope to be like the hunter that lives for the chase. My joy may be in the search."

OOC: Please be assured that I am amazed by the attention I have gotten from you and I do not take you for granted. My expectations remain humble so I will not be surprised when things change. My own schedule may become somewhat hectic later this week. :D
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

"Very well then, young man. Your answers to all my lame questions were pretty convincing for the time being. So I don't think I'll keep you busy for that much longer then. Do you have any questions left? Good. I hope I have invoked enough hunger with this little setting of ours." He waved his arm around in a nonchalant and vague gesture. "Then go and seek answers!"

He smiled again, and sighed. He ruffled through the boy's hair. "Just know one thing: I'll be around and I'll be watching you." With that last he obviously promised Barrett his help and support, but perhaps he was also indicating that he would carefully follow and evaluate his actions.

"Off you go then." Barrett felt some water on his face. For a moment he thought that his companion had a rather wet way of speaking, but then he suddenly realised he was wading in the pool. It seemed like he had stepped in an era ago. But the angle of the sun rays hadn't moved, so his nimble mind quickly deducted that it probably had been a matter of burns, perhaps flickers.
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

The tall lad was relieved to hear that the questioning, at least the direct spoken questions, was over for the time being. He suspected that his own questioning had merely begun and that he would have to devise or discover the questions himself from then on. As for any additional questions from Barrett- well he needed time to think on what had already been said before posing any new questions.

"Thank you, My Lord. "
It was appropriate and heartfelt, even though Barrett was uncertain exactly for what is was he was giving thanks. The conversation had been such a tangle of ideas, but it had reassured him and given some clarification of his calling. He did not miss the duel implications of the Thinker keeping an eye on him. It was only to be expected that the trust of a god would not come cheaply or easily. Barrett would have to prove himself over time.
"I shall seek both questions and answers- and no doubt some of the answers will be questions themselves."

He definitely felt a bit light-headed. Perhaps it was from hunger. Or perhaps it was from being in this vast yet intimate space that disoriented him.

The dismissal came as a disappointment on some level, and Barrett sought to hold onto the patterns of the stars and planets- but they seemed to have begun moving again. Or- no, that was merely the flicker of light on the surface of the water.
Water?
The return to the here and now was unwelcome at first. He had seemed to be so long in that place outside of - time? Well, wherever it was. Barrett tried to keep one part of his mind focused on the conversation that had taken place, despite his return to "reality." He emerged slowly from the pool, thinking to find a place to meditate without the distraction of light on water. He looked around for the old woman.

"Ma'am? Mother? I am uncertain as to what I should call you. Is there somewhere I might go to think for a bit-"
The growl of his stomach interrupted his questions.
"- er, and perhaps get a bite to eat?"
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

"Easy, easy, everything at a time, young man. Certainly there is something for you to eat. But tell me first: which deity has spoken to you, if any at all?"
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

Barrett's blush deepened as he realized how disrespectful he must seem.
"My apologies, Ma'am."
He noted that she'd chosen to disregard his inquiry as to her title, but he decided not to press the issue.
"My Lord Aurelius did choose to- acknowledge me."
I almost said "reveal himself to me," but that would have implied more of a straightforward conversation than what took place. I doubt the Thinker simply "reveals" anything at all.
The lad tried to efficiently divide his attention between the thoughts swirling around in his head and the need to fulfill protocol with the old woman.
"I mean no disrespect to you. It's just that the conversation has left me a bit distracted."

Silently, Barrett added writing supplies to the list of things he needed to seek out. Perhaps writing everything down would help put it into perspective.
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

"Calm down, boy." A faint smile played around her lips, which was the most expressive gesture she had shown so far.

She took a surprisingly fluffy towel seemingly out of nowhere, though it was possible too that she'd been carrying it around the entire time, Barrett couldn't really say.

"Here, dry yourself up before you catch a cold." She didn't really avert her eyes from his more private body parts, yet she luckily didn't explicitly focus on them either.

"Aurelius, hmm. Sure, I can imagine you're a bit dazzled now then. Now get your cloths on, so we can go to get you some food without... distracting the other members of our community."

Return to “Oracle's Isle archives (old)”