Journey to Dort:The Pelagic Horse:Samheen 16th

Moderator: Mods

Isabella Florentina
Countess Companio, "Countess Cabernet"

Post by Isabella Florentina »

Isabella froze in her place, her hand reaching out to the railing for a moment to steady herself. "I do not know of what you speak, dearest," she said airily, her voice dripping of sarcasm, "but I am sure you will do a thorough job of claiming what is yours." Her dark eyes gave him an icy stare as he retreated.

Her heart thumped in her chest. He must have overheard. But what part, or did he know all? Frantically she tried to remember what was spoken out loud. With a sigh of relief she knew that the terms of her little inheritance were not mentioned at all by them. There had been no need, as both of them could read.

Finally, a snarl of contempt marred her face for a flicker. More the fool he is, announcing his advantage over me and thus spilling the element of suprise. He'll never make it stick, so what does he think he's accomplishing. Probably just trying to scare the living daylights out of her. Isa felt faint.
[size=92][color=darkred] [b][i]
Together they planned a power and a love that would be envied forever.
Who was to know that forever would be so short?[/i][/size][/color][/b]

Post by Guest »

Isabella

The Sailor assigned by Bill to watch Isabella, came over after Jacob had left, speaking in a gruff voice and obviously not used to dealing with nobility "are you ok milady?, Bill asked me to keep an eye on you". He Looked a bit closer, You do not look too well milady. I'll go find Bill, and I'll send Christopher to help you, meanwhile you take it easy here".

He looked around and could only see Sfein pointing towards him he spoke again, "You know im milady, I could get im to help", before Isabella could reply he called out, "Hey you, yea you who did that story thing last night, fen or something, the lady's not too well, come ere and watch re while I get help"
He turned to Isabella, "here sit on this", and swung a small barrel over to her, "i'll be back or someone will, as quick as possible milady".
With that, used to people doing as they are told on a ship, he turned away and went off to the way down into the ship.
Isabella Florentina

Obediantely Isabella said down on the barrel that the sailor fetched for her though she tried to reassure him she was quite alright. He didn't listen though and was off runing. With a sigh Isabella sat down and watch the sea again, waiting for a sign of land.

Post by Guest »

It was few burns before William had managed to get away from his duties to go and see Isabella. When the Sailor had told him of his concerns, Bill knew she was most likely ok, but hurried through his last few duties and rushed out on deck to her.

He quickly came to her and in case of prying eyes or ears he dutifully played his role 9after giving Isa an obvious wink and big grin), "My Lady, are you alright, Turner said you seemed Ill, here let me help you up, we'll get you back to your cabin".

As he helped her up he whispered in her ear so know one could hear, "I understand Jacob was here, you'll have to tell me what he wanted".

Then aloud once more, "Come My lady, I will help you to your cabin, the sea trip is hard on people for the first time, it often hits people earlier, you have done well to last so long".

A whisper once more, "keep up the subterfuge until we reach your cabin".

Bill began to help her through the hatchway into the passage towards her cabin.

OOC: please feel free to post yourself and Bill into the cabin, and continue as you wish there.

Post by Guest »

Sfein had watched the lady Isabella.
From his safe distance.
She somehow had a less mischievous look today, he thought. Perhaps she was feeling ill.
Or it was his imagination that had made him think that she was the way he had thought she was. But he knew now how dangerously out of control his imagination had been. So what was truth, and what were lies.

On the other hand, the nobleman HAD asked him to 'remove' both the lady Isabella and this Bill. But this Jacob had looked mentally unstable to him, an unreliable war leader. And Alazais had shown some sincerity to the Trothgarder. No, he would not change his allegiance.

She looked unhappy. Which was strange, for an ex slave who had managed to marry her master. At least, that was what Sfein thought he knew.

So he watched her, to help her in case she would faint. After all, it was his duty to support women, as every Trothgarder male would do. But she did not faint. And therefore he only watched.
Watched how this Bill came toward her again. This time the man showed openly that he cared. Otherwise he would not have interfered with the wife of Jacob the Besnie.

Why?
Because she was beautiful, he concluded. She must have bewitched the man with her beauty. Perhaps that was all there was, no real magic, only a beautiful exotic woman that made a man do strange things.

For the first time that morning, he smiled.
Isabella Florentina

Gratefully Isabella held on to William "I just feel a trifle out of sorts," she admitted for the benefit of anybody who was listening. That strange bard was staring at her from a distance she noted, repressing the urge to stick out her tongue. Let them think what they will. Yet, except for the barrage of nasty emotions that Jacob had managed to bombard her with (which, without shields for which she had no strength, she was helpless to prevent).. Isabella did not encounter many draining negative emotions, for which she was grateful. For a moment she felt strangely mild, then the memory of anger and frustration from Jacob came back to her, shaking her once more.

She kept her head up high, whispering to William "There are some complications."

It wasn't until they were settled in the cabin again, Isabella seeking the comfort of her bed to sit upon, that she could explain her worry. "He knows, William, I do not know how and how much... but he knows." Isa gave a shudder. What if he is a mindreader. It is said that some people in the citadel can do that and it certainly is an interesting gift for one at court. Which was of course why Isa dearly wanted to learn such magicks. she dismissed the thought. He would have known the content of the little warranty if he could read minds. It was some small comfort.

Taking a shuddering breath she told him the exact words that Jacob had sneered at her. "He means to kill you. I do beg of you, be careful." Her face wrinkled up in a marring frown "Obviously, the contract needs to be declared null and void before I set forth the terms of the warranty, or he will simply claim it as his." She dared not to call it an inheritance, not wishing to make Jacob wiser than he was.

"Have you arranged... what we talked about?" Isa asked of Bill, before gasping softly "Oh no, what if he has learned that too?" She looked at William with something of desperation "I need to get out of here, the sooner the better. As soon as I'm off the ship he will claim me." Due to a lack of energy Isa was not shielded and so she could not help that her feeling of misery and genuine fear was softly dripping out of her, even though it was not an image she cared to project. There was also a feeling of ire, of frustration. Isa was not in control of the situation and she hated to be helpless.

OOC: just an explanation of Isa's empathy. It is a constant factor and without shields and enough energy to manipulate it she will be picking up all emotions in her environment, as well as sending everything out again without distinction or editing. In the past she was on the verge of being driven mad by it.
Last edited by Isabella Florentina on Sat Oct 02, 2004 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

William was struggling with little slices of emotions going through him. It was not like the other night where he was unprepared, with a dint of effort and years of needing control on the ship he managed to suppress them enough to deal with the now, successfully.
Before he continued because of what Isabella had told him he checked the door making sure no-one was listening. "He must have been listening at the door, what does he know? It matters not, we must proceed on the assumption he does not know it all, for we have no other plan".

He walked back to Isabella, "Now I do have a plan, we have cargo to unload when we get to Dort. About half a mark before we dock, Christopher will come with a message for you to see the captain. That is just a ruse in case Jacob is listening, even better considering what you just said. Christopher will take you to the hold, where a crate has been made ready, labeled as artifacts to go to the Temple of Penucia".
He sighed, "I am sorry it will be uncomfortable, but there will be blankets and food and a waterskin in there. Also some candles and such, but you have to be careful with those, fire and the light being seen through the cracks".
He chuckled, "Look on it as a way to rest for a while, it will probably be a some marks before the crate is delivered. I intend to deliver it myself, if not then two of my trusted men, maroc and Timek will, you can trust them".

He smiled and kissed her hand, "Does that sound reasonable my love"?
Isabella Florentina

Isabella didn't like the thought of the cramped lodgings, yet she was a realist. For now this was her only chance of escaping Jacob's clutches. The ex-Rose was so drained she didn't think she could try some old fashioned manipulation even if she managed to gather up some of her old luster. William was right. She needed the recovery time of the tide that would follow.

Isa smiled bravely at the noble-hiding-as-rogue as he kissed her hand "I will stand it, because you have arranged it for me and will know myself safe because of it. I can hardly wait till you free me of this cage." Her chin was up again, and a few little black tendrils framing her pale face, giving her a most vunerable disposition.

When William took his leave from her Isabella took a few burns to ready herself, and then calmly and collected waited at the table, sitting quite erect, for Christophe to come and fetch her. After all it was the only thing she could do right now, so she was determined she'd do it well, the only measure of control she could muster. The parchment with the inheritance was hidden well in her bodice.
Last edited by Isabella Florentina on Sun Oct 03, 2004 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

Since neither Airedelle or Alazais were showing up, the Trothgarder decided to do what he did most days, going to the drills of sword & shield. That is, as far as he could remember the instructions given to him. He was well aware that there was nobody to correct him.
Too bad he could not practice with his bow here, out on the sea. At least not if he wanted to keep his arrows. He smiled at the thought of leaving a trail of arrows behind him, on the bottom of the ocean. For him it was a beautiful day.

Post by Guest »

OOC: A Little time-jump to mid-tradetide.

IC:
*ALL*

The day had stretched into the afternoon and the normal activities of the ship had gone on without anything unusual happening.
Suddenly there was a cry from the crows nest, "Land ahoy, two points off the starboard bow".

There was a mad rush to the right side of the ship, and an untrained person would have been worried that it would roll over. Of course nothing of the sort happened.
The Captain came out and looked with his spyglass, "Be around a mark before we dock, but we have to get ready and cargo to sort". He turned to the first mate, "Make ready for port, bring down some of the sails, we don't want to go in there at breakneck speed, and have someone tell the passengers".

There was a sudden movement as the first mate started shouting orders and sailors were scurrying all over, organized chaos would probably be the term used by anyone watching.

The ship, slower now, began its approach to Dort.

OOC:
Please assume you have all been told that the ship is now approaching Dort, and a little under a Mark before they dock.
Last edited by Guest on Tue Oct 05, 2004 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Isabella Florentina

Isabella heard the sounds from the deck above, guessing at it s meaning though of course she had no idea of the time involved. Her heart fluttered. Being part of the cargo, with the risk that Jacob would find her, was not something she relished, but right now it seemed the only way. It will all be over soon.

Post by Guest »

Apart from his early walk and conversation with Isabella, Jacob had stayed in his cabin for the rest of the day. He knew he had rattled her, as was his intent. For the moment he was content to wait until they docked.

Hearing the call about Dort, he decided to have one last walk in the sea air. Leaving his cabin he eyed Isabella's door, and could not resist one last word. He knocked at the Door, though did not open it, "Hello my dear, counting the burns I hope, in less than a mark you will once again be my companion, willingly or not".
With a chortle he turned and walked down the passageway to the deck.

Upon Reaching the deck, apart from the sailors making ready for port, he saw Sfein practicing his sword and shield drills. With a sneer at him, for he had not forgiven Sfein his refusal to help, "You should stop that boy, and get your things together, we are nearing port", he paused staring, "On the other hand perhaps you should continue, for if that is the level of your expertise, I am glad you did not take up my offer it would have been wasted".
With a sneer, Jacob turned and began his walk around the deck.
Isabella Florentina

Isabella felt Jacobs nasty mood wash over, his triumph, his selfsatisfaction. It took all her effort not to give him a tongue lashing. It would only please him more. She stayed silent instead, stiffly sitting next to the table and expecting him to enter.

When he did not Isa released the breath she hadn't even realised she was holding. She was only dimly aware she felt a similar wave of nastiness wash over her, a detached part of her mind knowing she should better control these emotions but feeling to tired to even attempt it. You just watch De Bessnie. Revenge will be mine.

Post by Guest »

*All*
The flurry of activity in the ship increased as it started to change course for its approach to Dort.
Even more sail was furled as the ship gradually moved through the sea, a fraction of it's breakneck speed of the previous days. There was perhaps just over half a mark until the ship reached port.

*Isabella*
As isabella felt the ship change course, it was just a few burns later when there was a knock on the door.
"My Lady, It's me Christopher, the Count is on deck, Bill sent me now".
Christopher, came in followed by another huge sailor. "He will take your chest and hide it in another crate my lady, now we have to go, you are ready, yes"?
Although the boy was carrying out his orders impeccably, it was obvious he was frightened, and Isabellas generated emotive field was not helping the situation.
Last edited by Guest on Sun Oct 10, 2004 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Isabella Florentina

Isabella tried to smile bravely at Christopher, but Jacobs nettling had her on edge, which was hard to contain. The cabin boy's own nervousness only added to the fray. Her hand was shaking as she stood up from the table and she looked at it in disgust.

Briefly the darkhaired wench considered whether she would dare to put up a shield and assert control over her emotions but she was tired of the thought alone. Uncomfortable or not, to spend a tide in relative solitude in the crate might calm her nerves. She certainly needed her wits about her once she was on dry land.

"Well Christopher," Isa said with all the calm she could muster though it was not reflected in her innerself "Led the way and I will follow." She gave a friendly nod to the sailor who would be carrying her things. It didn't enter her mind to pity him, though her chest was dreadfully heavy.

Post by Guest »

*Isabella*

A little calmed by Isabella's words, Christopher nodded and beckoned her to follow him.
As they walked out there was a grunt and a muttered oath from the sailor as he lifted her chest. His gasping voice came to them, "This thing heavy, be slow, don't wait". Christopher looked backed in, "You need help"? The sailor shook his head, "No, just take time".

Christopher nodded and motioning Isabella once more to follow him set off down the passageway, looking back to make sure he didn't get too far ahead of her.
He lead her down one passageway, then another, some flights of stairs, and another passageway. Even a clear headed full of strength Isabella would have had trouble remembering the route, in the state she was in it was not possible.
Eventually they passed through another door, and were standing in the hold, apart from one sailor who ignored them, they had passed no-one on the way.

Christopher led her round a large create and there behind it were two sailors standing by two crates. The first was about 8ft long, by 4ft square, the second somewhat smaller, the sides of the crates were on the floor showing the inside. The Smaller crate was empty, but looked only a little bigger than her chest.
In the larger of the two, were at least a dozen blankets, two skins of water, some candles, a satchel, a sealed wide necked jar, and a small box.

"Bill cannot get here my lady, he has to supervise the ship into dock", he looked at the stuff in the crate, "I, I have to tell you whats there". He began to recite word for word what Bill had told him. "The skins have water, and the satchel contains some dried fruit, bread and dried meat. The small box has flint and tinder and some tapers, you should be careful to make any flame in that box, and use the tapers to light the candles, the blankets are there to keep you comfortable". He paused, "The jar, the jar", his face turned bright red, "milady the jar is for for you know", he turned away too embarrassed to speak, and just pointed to the crate.

Post by Guest »

Airedell emerged onto the deck and searched for Sfein. She found him practising with his weapons. Yet another side of him. Not wanting to disturb him she leaned on the railing a distance away and watched.

"Hello" she said when he caught sight of her. "Preparing for a battle?"

Post by Guest »

There she was!
"More for fight then for a battle" he replied. "Although I sometimes wish there were still battles, but the Kona, that is our queen, is steering Trothgard away from battles it seems. But according to the old folks being in battles are the exiting things you will remember for the rest of your life."
For a moment his eyes shone with an even more feverish light. Suddenly they darkened.
"Yet one of them misses a hand, and another had those terrible scars that always itched when a storm was looming."
So perhaps it was not so exciting after all?
Or being in battles was extremely exciting, that you would talk like that even after being maimed for the rest of your life.
He did not know.
"What weapon do you fight with?" he asked suddenly, assuming, that Airedelle would at least have mastered one or two weapon skills. After all she was a woman, and a naive trothgarder would assume they could fight. The fact that she did not show weapons showed that she perhaps had mastered the throwing of a dagger. Or another concealed weapon.

Post by Guest »

"I don't own a weapon. I never have. There are other tactics that I prefer to use." said Airedell slightly uneasy. She didn't like revealing a weakness, even if it was Sfein who asked. It was true. She had never needed to learn how to fight because she could always run away and take her revenge later. It had served her well so far. Why should she learn to fight? "The Kona must have her reasons. You've never seen battle, then?"

A swift and subtle switch was what she needed to steer him away from that subject. It wasn't a compete turnaround but perhaps he wouldn't inquire after her skills, or lack there of, in that department.
Isabella Florentina

Isabella nodded to Christophers words sagely, memorizing it. Then spontanously she gave the good boy a kiss on his forehead, enveloping him in her rose perfume. "Thank you," she said simply, before she took her place in the crate and gave Christopher a last somewhat lopesided grin.

Once inside the crate Isabella took care to meditate mostly and spare her energies, focusing her mind on how to survive and how to come back to court with hier spirit revived.

Post by Guest »

Jacob came down the steps and into the passageway a couple of burns after Isabella went, just in time to see the sailor struggling with her chest, about to disappear around the corner,"Hey you, where are you going with that".
The sailor dropped the chest at the sudden shout and turned, he was not the brainiest of them on board (which is partially why he was chosen), "I take chest, leave ship soon" he managed to stutter.

Jacob looked him up and down, "And just where are you taking the chest"?
The sailor was in inner turmoil he had been told to tell no one, yet he knew how important Jacob was, "I take chest", he repeated again.Jacob too a step forward, "I know that you moron, Where are you taking it"?
Now Mike was slow, but over the years had learnt that moron was 'not nice' (as he called it), so being called this immediately put him on the defensive, "Don't know", was all he could come out with but it worked.
Jacob now got seriously angry, "Don't know, How can you, you". He took another step forward, but before he could do anything, Christopher suddenly appeared. Young and frightened he may be, but he was a quick finger and loyal to Bill, and knew straight away what was happening, "Mike, Mike, Where are you going, this chest goes on deck, on Deck". He turned to Jacob, "I'm sorry my lord Mike gets confused sometimes", back to Mike, "Go on Mike, up on deck". Out of view of Jacob he winked at Mike and smiled, who saw and realised and with a grunt, lifted the chest up, and started to struggle towards the deck.
Jacob had watched this in silence, sure there was something going on, but was non-plussed as to what it was. He watched Mike carry the chest then looked back at Christopher, "There is something odd going on here, where is the Lady Isabella"?
Christopher started to panic a little, "I er, I think she's on deck sir. Excuse me I have business to attend to", and dashed off quickly before Jacob could ask anymore, to find Bill
Jacob watched him run off, looked once again at the disappearing sailor, a frown creased his brow. Then with a purposeful stride, Walked towards Isabellas room and entered without knocking. Finding it empty, he came out thought a bit more then made his way to the deck. Anyone close by would have hard him muttering to himself, "She had better be up there, or there will be hell to pay".
Last edited by Guest on Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post by Guest »

OOC:
This takes place just before and during the previous post of Jacob's

IC:
*Isabella*

Christopher looked at Isabella in the crate, a sweet smile on his face, he gave a wave then ran off (to find Bill). The other crewmen nodded to her lifted at the side of the crate and hammered the nails in to secure it safely. The last thing they did was to ensure 'This way up' was clearly written on the crate.
The men then sat on the other crate talking in low tones, waiting for Isabella's chest.
A little while later the sailor who had Isabella's chest walked in looking flustered, and no chest.
followed a few flickers later by Bill.

He patted the sailor on the back, "It's ok Mike, not your fault, help them two with the crate". He looked at the other two, "The chest won't be coming here, put something heavy in there and nail it up, then go about your duties".
He walked over to Isabella's crate and spoke to her, "Try and be quiet my love, Jacob saw Mike carrying the chest and is kicking up a stink. I doubt he'll come down here, but take care. I'll see you at the temple". With that he turned and left.

A few moments later the sailors had finished closing up the other crate and also left.
A deathly quiet came down upon the hold.
Isabella Florentina

Don't panic? Isabella thought, Why should I panic. I'm locked in a crate, can go nowhere and Jacob is hunting me so that all this might very well be in vain. Pan's Hooves! Why can't something go right for a change?

With a shudder Isabella tried to remain calm, using her meditation techniques to keep her breathing normal. Just a few more marks and she would be in the temple, out and away. At Pecunia's temple they would do anything for money, at the very least help her return swiftly. There was very little she could do but keep breathing.

Post by Guest »

*ALL*

Suddenly the actions of the crew seemed to take on a sort of madness as the ship started to tack hard as it swung towards the harbour.
The sails were frantically taken down as the ship slowed dramatically, finally slowing to almost a stop as it lined up to the jetty.
Lines were thrown down, and the ship came to a halt, as they took the strain.

A moment later the captain and first mate strolled out with papers down the gangplank to the dock to meet with port officials. The sailors at the top of the gangplank not letting anyone off until the port authority had authorized it.
This did not stop people getting ready and calls were going round the ship for passengers to be on deck with hand luggage and to be sure to arrange the unloading of any larger items.

*Jacob*
Jacob was on deck looking for Isabella, but although her chest was on deck, marked to be taken with De Bessnie's luggage, he could see no sign of her.
As agreed earlier with the captain, he motioned the two sailors assigned to him to start a search of the ship.

*Sfein and Airedell*
Alazias was on Deck with his luggage, calling for Sfein and Airedell, "Come you two, As soon as we are allowed to leave, there should be a carriage waiting for us. Now do you have any questions"?

*Isabella*
Isabella, inside the crate, only felt the sudden turn, slow down and stop of the ship, with the creaks and groans that would be associated with that.
A burn of so later, there was a loud rumble that sounded like it came from above her, and the sound of crates being moved. Then all stopped, and muffled voices were heard, for unless someone spoke close to the crate directly at her it was difficult to hear what was said.
The sound of two sets of footsteps came and went as obviously two people were walking around. They came close to Isabellas crate a couple of times, but past by without incident.
Then once more the noises in the hold started up, and she felt her crate being moved. Then once again nothing, until Christophers voice came through, "Its ok we will soon be moving, just waiting to be authorized".
Then once again all was quiet.

OOC: Ok please reply to this, and then I will post which threads are yours threads in the Dort forum.
Dyfed.

Post by Guest »

Sfein's blue eyes watched the activity of the ships entry in the harbour.
"Battle experience? No. There were no battles to speak of. But I did encounter an Ice Troll."
He hadn't been alone in that encounter, but he decided not to add that.

"Other tactics. You are a weaponless fighter? Or did you hide magic abilities from me?"
Then it dawned on him. The people in the so called 'civilized world' specialized much more than at home.
Many of them seemed to go around un-armed and un-prepared for a fight.

Maybe it was a trick of their rulers. If you do not allow your slaves a weapon, why not follow the same principle for all your subjects that you wanted to keep obedient?
"You will smile at them" he continued with a wink. "So that they think you are no threat. Perhaps you even sing. It works with some wild animals.
Unless they are hungry..."

At that moment he was interrupted by Alazais.
Questions?
They were going to travel by carriage?
Who would pay for that?
"Let's get our luggage then" he said to Airedelle.

Return to “On the Water Archive”