In Search of Pirates:Zarkazar: Samheen 16th

Moderator: Mods

Post by Guest »

"During the fighting I was busy in combat with the pirates' finest swordsman," said Zarkazar, proudly, "and I have the scars to prove it. You can ask Talik- a brave crewman if ever there was one- and several other witnesses. As for the dagger, I threw it during the battle; clearly someone picked it up and used it to kill Osilik." Zarkazar paced around as he made his speech. "Now, I can understand a novice jumping to conclusions but you should know better captain. Frankly I'm both disapointed and insulted." Zarkazar faced the seated captain. "Besides, Osilik was a moron, and has more interesting things to say now that he's dead. I don't expect a written apology from you, captain, a verbal apology will do fine."
Zarkazar folded his arms and tried to look offended.

Post by Guest »

Captain Hanran looked sharply at Zarkazar, "Have I given so little of myself that you do not know me? Of course I do not believe it. You are an intelligent man, and I think not one to create such an obvious red herring".
He leaned forward, "However Osiliks body and that dagger was seen by a few of the men, and if I ignored that, I would have a mutiny on my hands".

He sat down, waving Zarkazar to do so as well.

A female voice sounded in Zarkazars head 'Help me, Help me please'

Captain Hanrad continued, if he had heard the voice, he did not let it show, "Now for your ears only, I had heard of what Osilik was doing, and intended to take him to task for it, but then this pirate ship turned up, so it was left until later, unfortunately for Osilik".

He stared at Zarkazar his brow furrowed as he thought of what to do.

The voice once again sounded in Zarkazars head 'Help me, Help me please, help me and I can help you'

The captain stood having made a decision (once more seemingly not hearing that voice), "Right, I've set up promotion, the 2nd mate is first, and the third mate 2nd. They have moved quarters by now. Okay you go to the third mates cabin, and be confined there. Talik unfortunately is unconcious I believe, when he comes too, and corroborates your story, then I can let you free, otherwise you are confines to those quarters. Now go there and stay inside, some of the men did like Osilik, so you may not be safe".

He strode to the door and opened it, indicating Zarkazar should leave.

The voice sounded again 'I am weak we speak later'.

OOC: Zarkazar, just create the cabin as you like, keep it simple, it is the 3rd mates cabin remember so it will not be sophisticated or rich.
Last edited by Guest on Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post by Guest »

Zarkazar's thoughts were distracted as he entered his cabin. The whole mess with Osilik was one thing, but did he now have audible hallucinations to deal with? Apparently the captain hadn't heard the female voice, so was it purely in his head?
The cabin had a simple bed, rather than the usual hammock, and a small desk, but little else. Still, a bed was better than swinging to and fro in a sleeve of canvas. Often at sea the bed would be folded over and used as a coffin for burial at sea, but clearly this wasn't the case this time. Zarkazar sprawled out and massaged his forehead. Am I hearing things, or is there some sorcery at work? he pondered. On a whim he stood back up and spoke out loud.
"Hello? Voice? Are you real, or have I been hit too hard?" he asked to the stale, empty air.

Post by Guest »

All was quiet, no voice no sound at all, then very faint, as if it was a whisper in his mind, the voice was there again, "I exist, do not be frightened, I need your help, will you help me"?

Then the voice faded away again, and it was all silent once more.

Post by Guest »

"I'm not frightened," Zarkazar said in the empty room, "I don't do frightened. If you need help, then let me know what the problem is. If anyone can help you it's Zarkazar Ballast." As he spoke he had one hand on his sword. How the hell can a disembodied voice pay me? he thought, in a moment of characteristic avarice.

Post by Guest »

The voice, a little weaker now, spoke again, "My name is Suriannakenala, I have been a prisoner for many years, I just want to go home. Yours is the first mind I have come across that I felt would help me".
There was silence for a few flickers then the voice came again, "I felt your mind as they carried me from that vile pirate, this captain seems nicer, but he is still going to use me and my magic".

The voice started to fade away, "I am weak now, I will talk to you in a while, I must get some strength back".

Post by Guest »

Zarkazar sat on the bed and stroked his chin. Meddling in magic was a dangerous buisness; but there were rewards to consider. Surely this had something to do with the mysterious chest that the captain had liberated from the pirate ship. But surely no-one could have been trapped in a box for years, and if this person had magic talents, why couldn't they escape?
Zarkazar stopped stroking his chin (as it was getting a little sore) and took to scratching his head instead. A thought occurred.
What if it's not a person at all? What if it's some sort of...creature?

Post by Guest »

It was quiet in that cabin, and time went relentlessly on. A food tray was delivered by a unspeaking Sailor, who came and took it away a little later.

It was some time later when Zarkazar heard that voice again.
"I am stronger now I have rested. You have decided, will you help me? I can perhaps reward you, you must tell me now or it will be too late.".

Although the voice was now quiet, Zarkazar could feel the anticipation in his mind as it waited for his answer.

Post by Guest »

Zarkazar withdrew his sword and held it high.
'Of course I'll help you, I'm nothing if not helpful. And handsome. And charming.' He suddenly felt rather foolish stood there with his blade waving and talking to thin air. He put the sword away. 'I'm going to need details, my friend. Such as; who, or what are you? And if you have magical talents how come I defeated the pirates almost single handed?'

Post by Guest »

The voice spoke again, "You are cautious, and rightly so". There was a pause, "I am what you humans call a mermaid. My powers are limited, I can create calm seas around the ship in the worst of weathers", there was hesitation,"I can also move myself and anyone I hold, great distances at fast speeds, days become hours. This chest I am in has bindings on it to prevent me using such power to escape, though allowing my other".

The voice faded again, the tiredness obvious in it's sound, "I get fed just enough to keep me alive, and It is a sin for me to take my own life, so I cannot escape that way".

The voice began to fade, "I tire, Come Zarkazar Ballast free me from my prison, and I will take you far away, and help you gain the reward you deserve".
The voice became quieter and faded away completely with these last words, "You are my only chance, free me". With that the voice once more disappeared completely, leaving Zarkazar in silence.

Post by Guest »

A mermaid! A creature of legend! thought the sea-faring rogue. And a reward! he added. Now he started to formulate a plan. Once he was allowed to leave his cabin he would need to get into the captain's cabin. A distraction would be needed perhaps. Maybe he could enlist Talik to help him? His thoughts ran thus: get Talik to cause a diversion, break into the captain's cabin, open the chest, and flee over the side of the ship, along with Talik, and let the mermaid whisk them off to fortune.
Damn, that's a hell of a plan. I genuinely can't see anything that could go wrong. he concluded. Which was possibly the stupidest thing he'd thought all day. Zarkazar paced up and down the cramped cabin, picturing his rather naive plan in action.

Post by Guest »

A few moments later there came a knock at the door, and it opened and a sailor looked in, "You, ya wanted in the Captain's cabin now, get yerself along, seems that Talik has woke up". He then turned and walked off down the passageway leaving Zarkazar alone, and no-one else about.

Post by Guest »

Zarkazar squared his shoulders (which hurt due to his recent battle) and went out onto the deck. He could feel some of the crew staring at him; did they really believe he'd murdered Osilik? He strode towards the captain's cabin, head held high. It appeared gaining access to the captain's domain would be the easy part. But overpowering the captain, even if Talik could help, was a different matter.
"If you can hear me, lady of the sea," he whispered, "then my plan to rescue you may be underway. If you can help in any way, be prepared for my signal." Zarkazar wasn't sure what the signal would be, but there'd probably be no small amount of screaming, shouting and violence involved.
He took a deep breath and knocked on the captain's door.
Last edited by Guest on Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

OOC: Sorry for the delay, real life really intruded.

IC:
The door opened quickly, already having been unlocked, and there was Talik!
He pulled Zarkazar in and patted him on the shoulder, "The captain told me about the nonsense with Osilik, I've told him you were with me all the time, and the ones that came to our rescue, said you carried me off the ship then. So your in the clear my friend", he gave Zarkazar another pat on the back.

There was a loud cough from behind the desk. "Oh Sorry Captain", said Talik who then turned to Zarkazar, "The captain has an offer for you".

I will be ready, the voice came in Zarkazars head.

The captain called him over, "Zarkazar, I am please you have been vindicated, not that I doubted it. Now because of that we have a vacancy, I would like you to be the new Third Officer. It's hard work, but does have more pay, and as you seen a cabin to yourself. Now what do you say to that"?

The captain leaned forward, eagerness in his eyes for Zarkazars answer.

Post by Guest »

"A very generous offer," mused Zarkazar; he strode back and forth, trying to ensure the crate containing the mermaid was indeed within the cabin as he expected. " He faced Talik. "I'm glad you've recovered. It was a testing time for us all. You have witnessed first hand my integrity and bravery. I'm sure, Talik, that you would back up any play I wish to make in the future.' He winked at the sailor, hoping this would indicate that something was shortly to occur. Zarkazar walked over to the captains desk, and leaned over it; his face was close to the captain's.
"A quick question; was anything of great value snatched from the pirates?" Zarkazar watched his eyes closely.

Post by Guest »

Talik flashed a puzzled look at Zarkazar, but knew he would support the man who saved his life, he blinked a couple of times trying to convey that he understood. All the time wondering what was going to happen.

The captain raised his eyebrows at Zarkazar's question, "Anything of value"?, he smiled, "Just a few trinkets", his eyes glanced over to where the chest was then back to Zarkazar, "Nothing of any real value, the stuff will be sold off and as is my policy, the money gained will be used to bury our dead and help their families".

He then sat back in his chair, "You haven't actually said you would take the position, will you"?

Post by Guest »

"Such a quick promotion is indeed a daunting prospect, but it is such ambition that seperates us from the beasts in the trees." Zarkazar struck a casual pose, which just happened to have one hand on his dagger. He leaned over towards the captain. "But first I need to inform you of something I overheard during the battle." He motioned the captain to come within whispering distance, intending to knock him out cold when he did so.

Post by Guest »

The captain had been around a long time and although he couldn't put his finger on it he knew something wasn't quite right, still he had no reason to suspect Zarkazar, so leaned forward slightly. "Well what is it"?

Post by Guest »

This was it, the be all and end all. With all his might Zarkazar headutted the captain in the face and put his dagger against his throat.
"Move, and I swear you'll be a ghost long before you ever expected."

Post by Guest »

The captain sat still, he was unsure whether Zarkazars threat was genuine or not, but decided not to test it.
In fact he smiled, "I wondered who it would be, I didn't expect it to be you though, still I suppose the evil witch can turn anyone to her with her mind. I thought yours stronger though".
Before Zarkazar could reply Talik spoke up, "Zark, what are you doing, we'll both be hung, or worse, Keelhauled, or both even. I am your friend and I trust you, but you must tell me what this is about, what evil witch?"

OOC:
I am moving home, and will not be able to post thurs thru monday incluse, perhaps not until Wednesday (1st). Please accept my apologies, normal service will be resumes as soon as possible.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

"Our good captain has a mermaid trapped in that chest. She is no evil witch, she is a prisoner." Zarkazar said to Talik, while not taking his eye off his captive. "Break the chest open, Talik, for she has promised us a great reward for her freedom, and her aquatic powers will lead us to safety. Remember, you have a family to take care of, a fortune from this creature could set you up for life; which is a much better prospect than getting killed by pirates, which is what would happen one day." Zarkazar pressed his blade against the captain's neck. "Put your weapons on the table, cap'n. Slow and steady, as I'd hate to get more blood on my shirt."

Post by Guest »

OOC: Back, move done, though been quite ill last few days, sorry for the delay.

IC:
The Captain never took his eyes of Zarkazar as he removed his sword and placed it on the table, "Neither of you will get out of here alive you know", his eyes glanced towards Talik, "Talik, you take your sword and place it at Zarkazar's neck, we will forget whats happened here, and you will be the new third mate, follow him, and you will die.

Talik hesitated, unsure of what to do for a moment, then with a shrug of his shoulders he went to the chest and using his sword, broke the chains surrounding it. Lifting the lid slowly he looked inside and stepped back in a mixture of shock and amazement. Nothing appeared, the chest looked empty, though on the lid could be seen drawings much faded now, of a rainbow with a star, perhaps white in colour, in the middle of it.
Then there was a shimmer and a beautiful woman, Naked, ageless and yet also young, appeared.
"Thank you Zarkazar, Talik, my gratitude cannot be overstated", She looked to the door, "We must go, people come, open the window quickly".
Just then there was a loud bang on the door, "Captain"? and enquiring voice called out, the captain stayed silent, and then the door began to open.

Post by Guest »

"Talik! Close the door!" hissed Zarkazar. He then aimed a punch at the captain's chin, intending to knock him out before running to the window and opening it.

Post by Guest »

OOC: Sorry for delay RL issues.

IC:
Many things happened at once, Talik ran for the door and attempted to slam it shut, only to succeed in trapping someone's foot. There was a grunt of pain, and sudden pressure on the door against Talik, shouts calling for assistance could be heard.

The captain meanwhile had totaly unexpected the punch from Zarkazar, and his head snapped back from the blow and he crashed to the ground behind the desk. He was a tough one though and the blow didn't actually knock him out, but he was definitely stunned and would be so for a few burns.

The mermaid walked smoothly as if flowing through water across to the window and opened it, "We must go now", she looked pointedly at Zarkazar, "to stay, is to die you know that".

Post by Guest »

"Talik, with me!" shouted Zarkazar. While shouting he flung a knife between the gap of the door and ran for the window, to leap out of it. He hoped Talik would have the sense to follow his lead. "Come on!" he prompted.

Return to “On the Water Archive”