Taloh: The Capitol City in the Ironwood Trees

Moderators: Syra, Mods

Rees

Taloh: The Capitol City in the Ironwood Trees

Post by Rees »

Taloh is a city in three major sections: The Upper City, the Lower City and the Tarquir, the Royal residence and seat of the government. The dwellings and structures of Taloh are created entirely through 'shaping' - a type of druidic magic by which the elves encourage the tree to grow into a desired shape- even into large and fantastic dwellings, complete with windows and doors. Because the majority of the trees in Taloh are ironwood, they are also fireproof, allowing deadwood to burned as a heat source in winter.

The Upper City of Taloh literally is that:up. The city is located in the only grove of Ironwood trees known in the world. Incredibly tall and large, these trees are virtually impervious to fire and their trunks form the base of the Upper City, which is built entirely upon the giant branches and on ‘floating’ platforms, roads and walkways that can be used to travel from tree to tree, moving all across the city hundreds of feet from the ground.

The Lower City is where all goods are recieved and connects to the Upper via a series of walkways and descending ‘bridges’ sturdy enough even for wagons, horses, etc to travel upon them up into the trees.

In the event of attack, all of these walkways could be drawn back upwards, using the concentrated efforts of powerful Shapers, teams of which are working on the trees of the city, caring for and strengthening them constantly. The walkways might also be cut off and allowed to crash to the ground- but only by harming the tree, so that would be done only if there were no other option.

Taloh is NOT a city for anyone with a fear of heigths. ;)

In addition to the Ironwood trees, a few other details of T’aquar life bear mentioning: Although deadwood is burnt for heat when it is cold, it is done so only under controlled circumstances and fire safety is something every elf child learns from an early age.

Light is provided by lumenescent fungi which grow in the treetops and are harvested and put into lanterns or globes. These come in a range of colors, from white for a pure clear light to read by, to those with a soft rosey or yellowish tint. Globes of these are strung all through the treetops and gardens of Taloh and they do not dim nor go out with rain, although they are replentished with each cycle of the moon.

Taloh is home to the Fine Rose Inn, which has the only ‘human’ style tavern, used mostly by homesick merchants or lesser diplomats, but for the most part it is a ‘when in Rome’ situation and foreigners in T’aloh and across the elvin nation will have to acceed to local customs.

Rather than taverns, the elves of T’aquar have places called 'kosatan'. You can get food , tea, and spirits there, and although elves are not fond of beer or ale, if you are ‘in the know’ in Taloh, you might be able to get some. ;)

The kosatan also include platforms for viewing the moon and the changing of the leaves in autumn, listening to music or stories, impromptu poetry contests and dancing- all social pleasantries highly prized by the locals.

Most travellers to the capitol city come up the river and into the Quays, then ascend into the Upper City if only to see the sights, although all government business and a good portion of trade agreements occur there as well.
Last edited by Rees on Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Maeve
The Dragon & Game Designer

Post by Maeve »

This thread is temporarily claimed for the Modding seminar. Please welcome Yin!
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]
Amal Dhaun

A Dark One arrives . . .

Post by Amal Dhaun »

OOC – It seems empty here. Let me know if this isn’t right.

IC: Amal Dhaun stood on the edge of the Ironwood trees looking at the magnificent Lower city. Amal had heard rumors of a dark elf assassin wandering the city of Taloh from his father. This one had a reputation for being truly evil and a true warrior. If he could capture him, or her, his name would be made.

OOC: Using Hiding/Camouflage here

IC: Amal drew his cloak about him and withdrew into the trees. He watched several citizens pass him by, but none noticed the hidden dark elf. He adjusted his scimitar in his sheath, looking for an opportunity. He watched for an hour and then decided to head into the city.
Yin Lorin
Retired staff

Post by Yin Lorin »

The gates to the city were not as busy as most days, and Leanna was glad of that. This gate was never as busy as the others, but there would be times when just three guards was not enough to check everyone as quick as possible and a line would form. Urcil and Leo were talking to a maid who was bringing some things into town to sell. She shook her head the red hair on her head was braided into several small braids with wooden beads at the end that clicked together as she moved her head. She was average height for an elf, and not of any striking beauty, the most attractive trait was her smile. Her smile was a small and pretty smile, with a little dimple in the cheek, full ripe lips. Aside from that, she was pretty average as far as girls go, so seeing the two fawn over a maid upset her a little.

The gate was a large series of brier bushes, woven and twisted around each other to create a wall, an archway lifts up from the ground creating the gateway that the three guarded. Thin thorns made of iron wood bristles from the twisted and shaped limbs that made up the wall.

Leanna turned spotting Amal’s approach, her heart skipping a beat as she looked at the handsome elf. She felt a little foolish suddenly as she realized what had happened. She was acting like Urcil and Leo. She stepped up to stop Amal’s advance. “Excuse me,” She pulled out her book and logged a time. “Can I have your name?” She asked giving Amal one of her cute smiles.
Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum.

-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)
Amal Dhaun

Post by Amal Dhaun »

OOC: Did my Camouflage not work? I thought I was hiding.

IC: The dark elf was surprised when the red haired female approached him. In his mind he had heard her approach, the soft clicking of the beads had not registered.

Her question still caught him unaware and he quickly grabbed for his knife. With one quick motion he had it out and ready. Softly he caressed the pearl and ruby handle of his assassin's blade. It made feel powerful.

"I am a Hunter, lady," he said smiling. "I seek the wayward."

The young girl blushed at his words, awed by Amal's indifference and beauty. Most of his life he had foregone women. But here, on the surface, he could see their pale beauty. They shone with their own brilliance.

He moved toward the young girl, reached out and kissed her hand. She blushed again.

"My name is Amal."

OOC: Trying to learn the Seduction/Woo skill here
Yin Lorin
Retired staff

Post by Yin Lorin »

Watching the hand on his blade more then the kiss, she arched a brow. "The wayward what?" She repiled, the other two guards had thier hands on thier weapons as well.

The romantic mood had been spoiled by the cold steel being drawn. The armored and uniformed guard were all on edge as they kept thier eyes on Amal.

"I am Leanna, Lance Officer here. What sort of wayward are you seekings, Hunter Amal?" She asked, she was not going to let a handsome man distract her from her duty, esspecially not one with a dagger out.

Amal Dhaun

Post by Amal Dhaun »

OOC: Sorry was on break for a while

Amal threw back his hood revealing his Dark Elf heritage to the surface dwellers. He was prepared for a fight though he knew he would most likely lose.

He drew back into a fighting stance.

"I seek the wayward adhiel, fleeing the darkness for the frail surface world. They owe, and I collect!"

He stepped forward, drawing his longsword to accompany his dagger.

"And any who oppose me will face my wrath!"
Yin Lorin
Retired staff

Post by Yin Lorin »

Amal’s reaction to her statement drew an immediate response. She fell back a step, her sword slipping out as she drew it with expertise. Her eyes took on a hard calculating look, no remnant of the soft gaze was left. “You best not be joking here, because I do not like these kinds of jokes.” She warned. She took a fighting stance, her body moving like silk, she was as practiced with a blade as Amal, from what he could see, and looked comfortable in the armor she wore.

The other two guards pulled their swords as well. One shouting out, “Guards! Attack at the Merchant Gate!” The two guards moved to circle around Amal, keeping out of lunging distance. They looked to flank Amal, cutting off his escape into the woods.

“You made a bad choice here, Amal.” She warned. “Just put down your weapons and surrender, and we will just take you in on charges of threatening a guard, I am sure you can get a reasonable judge.” She kept her tone even and level. “What do you say?”

Post by Guest »

Brenna stumbled through the forest, her breath coming in short pants. She was tiring, fast, and she had no idea how long she had been running. Every inch of her body burned and her hood still over her head did not help matters. Sweat dripped down her cheeks, leaving her hair in whorls stuck to her skin, but she licked off the drips near her mouth as she ran, her tongue like sandpaper with thirst in her exhaustion. It was only when she glanced up briefly to wipe the sweat from her eyes that she halted, her feet stumbling out of their action so much that she almost fell. A city lay before her, tall and beautiful.

She had not been expecting this, and as she gasped and panted, all she could do was stare. She had never seen somewhere so big. The biggest collection of houses she had ever seen had been her childhood home, in fact, and now she stood aghast.

Her eyes were drawn from the tree tops to the gate in front of her, obviously guarded. Brenna's brow furrowed in indecision. She had been running from people... she had not wanted to go near anyone, ever again. But she was desperate for water, and her waterskin was nearly empty. And this city - it looked like somewhere where the people lived in harmony with the trees, somewhere peaceful. Perhaps if she kept her hood down and spoke to anyone she met as little as possible, she would be able to get food and shelter for a night and then continue on her way. Or maybe find lodging and just escape in the daylight to draw. That way, she wouldn't have to speak to anyone.

Her mind made up, she pulled the hot, sweat-heavy hood far down over her face, ignoring how hot she still felt, and forced herself to walk towards the gate.

Upon reaching it, she halted, unsure what to do next. She didn't know the protocol in a situation like this - surely the gate would be guarded, if they had a gate it was unlikely she could just walk through. Brenna glanced around, peering out from under her black hooded cape to see who was around.

ooc: Hope this is alright as an entrance! If I need to edit anything, let me know :)
Scheherazade
Civus

Post by Scheherazade »

ooc: Welcome to Taq, Brenna.

ic:Samheen 20, Waneday, Morningtide, Third Mark

Autumn Fire

From a distance, the treetop city of Taloh was majestic. The leaves of the ancient IronTrees glimmered under the golden morning sun that it can captivate any person, whether Adhiel or human with profound awe. It was nearing autumn though, and the trees and leaves were bright with different autumn colors: gold, red, green and hues somewhere in between...

The Taloh was burning with colors.

Actually, literally, it was. From her vantage point of view, the young human woman saw faint black smokes coming from the clusters of the IronTrees where the city was located. In her pure haste, Brenna Mallory did not notice the smoke and small fires that had completely ravaged almost half of the city. One can conclude that the inferno happened a couple of marks ago --maybe even lastnight -- and the small fires and smokes she was seeing was the dimming result of the conflagration. Burnt, huge ancient trees, twigs and leaves were on the smoking soil of the city. One can feel the great devastation that had happened and one can still feel the heat of those burnt, charcoaled trees.

The gate however was still intact, although a few burnt marks can be seen around it... And was that large claw marks in the corner of the gate? It was opened and a large crowd of people, a combination of elves, half-elves, humans and some dwarves were filing out of the once majestic city. And Brenna, from the deep cowl of her hood, caught a glimps of their silent depart and noble despair of the elves. Something big must have happened. And was that deep fear the young woman was seeing in an old human's brown eyes as he went passed her, bringing with him all his belongings?

Although there was an influx of humans and some elves parting from the city, Brenna was actually surprised that a larger crowd was entering, almost most of them elves and all of them clinging to their belongings and their childrens as if something or someone was after them. Fear was everywhere and it can be seen by the a dozen or so border guards and green clad guards guarding the gates and around the vicinity.

A small young boy of an elf was walking out of the gates, his silken green hued garb depicted him as one of the upper class houses of the city, yet his features were ragged and soiled and blood was scattered around his cloth. On his hip, a small sword on its scabbard was belted ackwardly, a sure sign that the young lad could not handle such weapon.

He was walking nobly yet silently, his head bowed down and his red hair flowed behind, just above his shoulder, ruffled and in a mess and not noticing where he was going, accidentally bumped into Brenna and fell down on his back, his head still bowed down.

Oddly, he just sat there for a few winks and suddenly, his shoulders began to shake in a silent sob.
WILL WORK FOR FASHION!
Supporting Taz's Fashion Style since 1224 AD

"A wolf in sheep's clothing is wearing 100% wool!"
Post Rate: Slow

Post by Guest »

ooc: Apologies for the delay in posting - I don't normally take this long, but exams are really cutting down on my free time!

ic: As Brenna peered out from under her heavy hood she realised that the grand city was, in fact, less grand than it might have once been. The hood might obscure her view of the sky, but she could smell the smoke in the air. The unsettlingly large (for Brenna, at least) crowds of people leaving the city. They were elves too, and the girl's only experience of elves so far did not make her feel any better about this.

She told herself not to be so stupid. She of all people should know that it was wrong and unfair to judge a race by one person. After all, what would someone else think of the human race if all they met was herself? Or worse, her mother? Brenna shuddered.

She neither understood what was happening here, nor wanted to. But she thought it unlikely that whatever was going on in the city would enable her to quietly get provisions and move on, and the last thing she wanted was to have to interact with people. Not after her most recent experiences.

Preparing to turn away, she took one last look at the devastation, just as the boy bumped into her. Startled, Brenna stopped and stared at him. She was even more surprised when he offered no apology but simply sobbed.

She didn't know how to react to this, at all. Looking at him for a few burns more, Brenna was all prepared to turn away and go back into the forest. But something stopped her. Surely leaving someone in need like that was just as cruel as her mother had been to her? The girl didn't want any reason to be compared to her mother, ever.

Turning back to the boy, she squatted down. 'Um....' she began, at a loss what to say. Not an auspicious start. She tried again. 'Are you hurt?' she asked.
Yin Lorin
Retired staff

Post by Yin Lorin »

Scheherazade
Civus

Post by Scheherazade »

Can we archive this? I'm going to post a substitute for this from Nemesis' Article.

Please and thank you.

--Shez
WILL WORK FOR FASHION!
Supporting Taz's Fashion Style since 1224 AD

"A wolf in sheep's clothing is wearing 100% wool!"
Post Rate: Slow

Return to “T'aquar Archive”