Thyle - Finding the Docks

Moderator: Mods

Thyle - Finding the Docks

Post by Guest »

The sun blast a hot wave of stifling heat onto Thyle's back and face as he stepped out of the comparatively cool inn and into the street outside. He stood for a moment, climatising to the warmth, before habitually rolling his huge, muscular shoulders and striding back into the throng of people milling from what seemed like every direction, hitching his Quarterstaff in a more comfortable position round his shoulder as he went.

He strode casually up the street, occasionally nodding to people in greeting and touching his hat politely. The hat was making his head hot, but it kept most of the sun's rays off his face, so he left it on, the warm brown leather shining like oil in the sun. Every so often he would lift a hand to the back of his neck and sweep his long, deep auburn hair that was tied back with a red leather thong off his hot and sweating neck, completely unaware of his powerful frame parting the crowds like a knife.

He was too deep in thought to notice anything except what was in front of him, and his mind was replaying again and again the conversation he had just had with the barman in The Golden Ram. Thinking over his options, it was obvious he would not be well suited as an emissary, at least not here anyway. His lips twisted wryly at the thought. No, not here. He wanted to travel, to become well learned and wordly, to live the life he had been brought up to live. He wanted experience. His hand went absently to his swelteringly neck again, and then, deciding it was too much, lifted off his hat and carried it swinging at his side, his head suddenly feeling much cooler now it was free from the hot leather. Strands of silky auburn hair fell down over his olive skin and he brushed at them irritably with an elegant hand. To be an emissary was appealing, yes. It meant travel, which was very appealing, and maybe using his strength, his sword, maybe even his education. There was just the slight snag of finding someone he actually agreed with and would be willing to work for. His smiled grimly as he realised how arrogant he had just sounded. After all, he had to find a job first, and sometimes you can't be so picky.

Thyle stopped and looked around him, realising that he was walking aimlessly down the street without thinking about where he was going. I need to find passage to the docks. he thought, running a hand through his hair. He looked around him; this was why he wanted to travel. He wanted to know where to go and how to find places for himself for a change. He liked to do things independently, and hated it when he couldn't. Thyle sighed deeply and placed his hat firmly on his head. He turned back and continued striding in the direction he had just come. He needed directions.
Ashari
Moderator & Coordinator Mer Cities

Post by Ashari »

The heat may have been powerful on that day in the desert but it wasn't anything that Thyle wasn't used to. If anything the city was cooler than the sands themselves. Meandering through the first few feet outside of the tavern the half-giant quickly realized he was lost, not a big deal really. There were plenty of people around - they just avoided the large brutish looking fellow as if he carried a plague. Almost everyone that is.

As Thyle turned around he found himself plowing directly into a very small man causing him to topple over onto the ground. As he lifted himself from the ground he began to speak. "Oh well then, sure now even the walls are moving and striking out at me." A high pitched, but definitively male, voice said before his face turned upwards and his bright green eyes met those of the half-giant. "Now, you're no wall!" He said with a jovial smile spread across his clean shaven face. Curly blonde hair entwined in ringlets to his slightly pointed ears. His skin was tanned but still looked as if a sunburn from the mighty light of Uphuron had seared his fair flesh. "I'm Polm, Polm Perrywinkle, pleased to make your aquaintence." He bowed and his whole body was made shorter than Thyle's knee. Against an average man he would have been about half his height, but compared to the Half-giant, this small guy could have been a snack before dinner, barely even a whole meal.
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]

Post by Guest »

Thyle started when he felt something solid collide with his midriff and fall over with a muffled thump. He looked down, surprised, when the 'something solid' spoke in a high pitched voice, seemingly unaware that Thyle was there at all. Thyle cleared his throat politely, slightly uncomfortable that he had not been looking where he was going, and a pair of bright green eyes travelled up the rather long length of his body to recognize him as a living being, rather than a wall.
'Now, you're no wall!' , came the voice of the little man from somewhere around Thyle's waist, as he proceeded almost imediately to introduce himself, leaving Thyle only slightly startled so that he could only stare at the small man for a few moments, before remembering his manners. He held out a hand to the man as he bowed comically before him.
'A pleasure to make your acquaintance, Mr Perrywinkle,' he said politely, his voice sounding ridiculously low compared to the high pitched tones of this small man, 'My name is Thyle, Thyle Hwendian.' He paused slightly, thinking of the correct method of introducing one's self, and then deciding that it hardly mattered, seeing as the man before him had already collided with his knees, and the situation could hardly get more embarrassing. 'I hope you will not think me too abrupt, but would you by any chance know how I can find passage to the docks?'
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"Thyle it is then. A good solid name for a good solid man. Though.. you don't really look like the regular humans who roam the streets." The short fellow shook Thyle's hand vigorously. "And Polm is good enough, my father is Mr. Perrywinkle and I'm not quite ready for that role." He grinned. "The docks? Well, it just so happens I'm on my way there now. Guess you're looking for a way off this oversized beach as well?"

With quick, but short, steps the little man took off eastward. "Come on then. The sooner we get there the sooner we might be able to get aboard one of them ships." His little body darted in between people passing through the road with the agility of a alley dog. "So then-" Polm's voice could be heard among the rushing people even if he couldn't be seen all the time. Thyle had an advantage though, he was tall enough to see over the heads of the regular folk so he could keep up with his fast manueverings of the halfling. "Where do you plan on travelling to?" He asked.
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]

Post by Guest »

'Thank you,' said Thyle uncertainly, as Polm pumped his hand up and down energetically before zooming back into what seemed like a never ending stream of incessant talking. Thyle couldn't help feeling amused at the small and comical halfling in front of him, and he smiled as the little man continued to talk and bob about him like a bee in a bottle. He was caught by surprise however, when he dimly realised that the talking had stopped and he had been asked a question.
'Thank you, er, Polm. I would be much obliged..' But the halfling had scampered back into the crowd with a quick 'Come on then.' and Thyle could just about see his head bobbing about amongst the throng of people. Sighing inwardly, Thyle set off at a striding pace behind him, and after a few moments had caught up with the little halfling.
'I hope to travel to the Citadel,' he called down in answer to Polm's question, 'And you sir? Where do you plan to travel?'
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

He turned and grinned broadly. Polm had tucked his hand into a pocket on his small brown jacket as he stopped short. "Western Terra, myself. I've heard it to be a beautiful land full of all different types of people. Humans especially - but elves as well, and gnomes... and dwarves, too." He smiled as if the idea of all those numerous species appealed to him most of all, even more than the scenery.

With that he took off once again and lead Thyle through the streets of Abu`Sahir until the halfgiant could smell the strong scent of the ocean as the cool breeze wafted off the water and brought with it it's salty flavor. The tall masts of boats peeked over the heads of passing people until the pair were onto the busy docks. Beneath their feet were thick planks of weathered wood that extended out over the water supported by tree-sized cylinders of wood that stuck out of the rolling waves that sloshed against their exterior.

The air here was damp and cool as the spray filled the air and the odd couple's lungs. Poml looked out into the ocean and his eyes filled with the light of the bright sun overhead. "Now that is a true gem..." The water sparkled. "So, you have your heart set on the Citadel?" He asked looking out to the distant horizon. "I mean, it's a nice place and all.. I've not been there myself, but I've heard."

Post by Guest »

ooc: I'm so sorry I haven't been around in a while!! Loads of rl stuff going on!

ic: Thyle, completely taken away by the sight of the beautiful sparkling scene before him, hardly heard Polm's question until he tore his eyes away from the boats and looked down to see the small man looking expectantly up at him, 'Not exactly set, no.' he replied shortly, turning his gaze back onto the water and running a hand through his hair, brushing the strands back that seemed to have come loose in the salty air. He looked back at Polm, a gleam of excitement barely hidden in his eyes, 'More of a starting point.' He said, 'I want to travel. To see... everything.' His hands gestured towards the bustling scene around them, as if it were a map of countries and oceans and wide, busy cities.

Thyle seemed to be lost in his thoughts for a moment, maybe imagining adventure and new horizons, before gathering himself together and turning back to Polm, 'Have you travelled much yourself, Polm?' he asked, his expression once again a picture of politeness and sincerity, though his eyes still held the echo of excitement within them, like a fading spark.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

OOC: It's alright. RL has a way of taking priority. :D

IC:

"Me, oh yes, travelled plenty. In the number of yahren I've seen I've made a bit of rounds, yes. I'm starting with the Isles, but never made it beyond them yet. I'd like to go to Western Terra... a land covered by the reign of Domincus." He laughed a bit of the notion.

"However, I suppose it's must the same here, only following Uphuron and Anasis. Many of these isles are wrought with religious oppression, in my opinion."

"So, the Citadel is your starting point eh? Well, there are plenty of boats going to and from there all the time." The halfling stared up at Thyle. "I hope you have the money for it though, sometimes they can be quite expensive."

Post by Guest »

Thyle nodded as the small man talked, 'So do I,' he said, when Polm mentioned money, 'I'm afraid I haven't much money with me, but I'm hoping it will be enough.' He looked back at the boats in the docks, so stately and serene as the sparkling water around them, and then looked back down at his small companion, 'Tell me Polm,' he said slowly, his bell like voice vibrating round his throat, 'Would you say it cheaper to travel to the Western Terra?' and then added shortly, as if to excuse his naivety, 'I'm afraid I have not much experience in the matter of expenses when travelling.'
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

Polm thought a moment. "Hmm... I suppose the biggest thing is what kind of boat you are on. To go to the Citadel on a travel boat meant for people would be much more expensive than one bound for the Western Terra, to Sabata, but I suppose if you could convince a captain to take you on a trade vessel it might be even. Most likely you could ride for free - a big guy such as yourself could find work most anywhere I think." The small man shrugged.

"It all depends on what you are looking for." He paused a flicker.

"What are you looking for?" The halfling understood he wanted to travel, but one can travel to anywhere - even somewhere as remote as Trothguard though he wouldn't understand such an idea.

Post by Guest »

Thyle listened as the small man talked. Nodding, he bit his lip in thought, 'What am I looking for?' he echoed quietly, nodding slowly in contemplation. His gaze lingered on the halfling for a moment, before lifting slowly, and deliberately travelling the length of the dock where his golden eyes came to rest on the distant horizon. One hand reached almost absently down and grasped the hilt of the long sword in it's leather scabbard, as if the tall half-giant was about to draw the blade and fight some invisible opponent. For a moment, Thyle's eyes seemed to stay locked in a silent battle of will with the horizon, until he looked back at the small man and nodded with decision, 'I'm looking for what every young man looks for at sometime;' he said softly, 'adventure, experience,' his mouth lifted briefly in a smile, 'a job.'

He sighed suddenly in an unexpected outburst of feeling, and looked Polm straight in the eye, 'I'm lucky to have had a good life so far Polm,' he explained, 'A good education and upbringing is all perfectly satisfactory up to a point. But eventually I'm going to want to use what I've learnt,' one hand flew out in a gesture that elucidated what he was saying better than words, 'I want to be the learned man that my father is. I want to fight with something other than a dummy and an old man. I want to use my skills.' He sighed again and ran a hand through his auburn hair, 'What I don't want to do is take people's word for it anymore, or listen to stories and just have to believe them because I know no better. I want to go out and earn my keep, explore places I've never explored, fight for something completely irrelevant like a piece of land.' Thyle shrugged and looked completely desolate for a moment, before catching Polm's eye and smiling apologetically for his unusual outburst, 'I'm an arrogant young man who wants to learn.' he said softly, finding no better way to explain.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

Polm grinned. "Then it doesn't sound like it matters where you want to go." He said. "You are looking for that which every boy wants - adventure (something to tell yer kids one day), a job (so you can pay for that house that you'll no doubt buy someday) and a woman to keep ye company in the evenings."

Polm had a certain way of stating things so that it was matter of fact - no buts about it and no room for argument. He had made up his mind that Thyle wanted all these things, even if he didn't know full well what they even were yet or how he would get them.

"If you are looking to fight then maybe you'd be better off in the Western Terra.. they've had a mighty lot of wars over there for the past bit of time. Word has reached even the shores of Amun Rah about the traiterous King's Guard of King's Court and the fighting against the orcish invaders." The short man was sort of a font of knowledge.

"And if learning is your business then let the world be your teacher! Let the wanderlust take you by the hand. Go where ever your heart desires now while you can."

Post by Guest »

ooc: I'm afraid I'm not going to be around until the 6th, as I am away from home, and there will be no internet connection I'm afraid. :)

ic: Thyle almost smiled at Polm's logical hypothesis of his plans, and nodded at the thought of going to Western Terra instead of his original destination, 'I think you're right.' he said after Polm had finished, 'I will go to Western Terra.' He smiled at the small man, 'So far I have met two people who have given me some good advice for my travels, so thank you Polm. I greatly appreciate your assistance.'
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

OOC: No problemo.

IC:
Polm grinned, he was a charming little man. Perhaps Thyle found him so intriguing because of his size. "Well, then maybe we can travel together!" He said excitedly. "It's always better to travel with someone just because there is someone to tell stories to. I'm sure a big man like you has a great many stories. Even I have stories and I lead a very small life of little adventures."

He ran his fingers through his blonde hair and looked out into the expanse of the docks. Boats moved slowly, but the people aboard them looked as if they were magically sped up, they raced from stern to bow, starboard to the cabin and then up the mast in preparation to go out into the great ocean that consumed the lives of sailors as if they were a great delicacy.

"Now to find a boat, I suppose."

Post by Guest »

OOC: I'm really sorry about the ridiculously long delay! :oops: Too much RL stuff going on at the moment! :wink:

IC: Thyle laughed, a deep bell-like sound that was peculiarly soft for such a large man, 'I would like that very much Polm.' he said sincerely. The small man's excitement was infectious and Thyle couldn't help but smile at the sight of the petit bubbly halfling.

Thyle followed Polm's gaze and felt the excitement and anticipation of adventure bubbling up inside him. He looked down at his companion, 'Should we ask someone?' he enquired, lifting his head to look around him anxiously, scanning the crowds for someone who looked as though they where an authorative figure. Instinctively, without waiting for an answer from the halfling beside him, he strode forwards through the throng of people, peering over heads as he searched.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

OOC: Well, good to have you back. Better late than never, I do say. ;)

IC:

"Excellent, together we go then, together we go..." He looked through the crowds of people. "Hmm, of course, someone of authority, who to ask though," he wondered aloud, but before he could answer his own question Thyle was wandering off and the halfling had to run to keep pace.

Many people milled about, but standing at a podium was the dockmaster, handling the payment of incoming boats as they docked at the shore of the desert isle. Wearing a smart tunic of white with sandy colored embroidery he fit the part of Amunic perfectly. His dark skin shown bronzy in the bright sun and his hair was shaved close to his scalp.

As the half-giant and halfling approached a man gave his payment of a bag of coins to the dockmaster, who scrawled down the boat name and captain's name into a book, as well as the departure date and contents of the boat. Now there was no one in his line as the surly captain wandered off toward the city gates.

Post by Guest »

The man standing on the podium struck Thyle as someone of authority, and with only a small glance at Polm he strode confidently towards him until he was directly before the dock master. He lifted his head to look at the man's face, which was only a short way above his, and reached up to take off his hat briefly out of politeness. 'Excuse me,' he said softly, and then cleared his throat to say it again, 'Excuse me. Would you know if there's a boat heading for the Western Terra here, sir?' He looked down briefly to check if his small companion had caught up and added politely, 'My companion and I would like passage there if at all possible.'

ooc: Once again, I'm sorry I haven't posted before now. I have to get out of the rut of not posting here! :)
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

The dockmaster looked down from his podium at the large half-giant. There were very few people who could approach his high position and almost be as tall as he. It was a somewhat unsettling thing. "Terra..." Running his finger down a list he tried to find a viable option for the queer pair. Such a short little halfling and then a huge giant. Interesting dynamic... The things that songs are made of. He, of course, kept all that to himself.

Polm had indeed caught up by this point and was eagerly looking up at the dockmaster. "Yes, we would like to take a passenger boat if available, but if there is someone looking for hard workers, you've found none better than us." He nodded.

The authority figure wasn't impressed with the halfling's jovial temperment. "Yes, there is a passenger vessel leaving within a mark for Western Terra. Go straight down this dock, then turn right..." He turned to better guage his directions. "It's the boat with the green emblem on the sails, do you see it?" It was indeed a spectacular structure, with masts seemingly reaching to the clouds above. Only a few boats in the harbour were as large. "And they are looking for help aboard, and are granting passage at a lesser fee for it." He replied.

Post by Guest »

Thyle nodded thoughtfully and looked in the direction of the dock masters signal. Seeing the green emblem he marvelled briefly at the sweeping grace of the sails and the tall mast of the large ship. He turned back to the man and the corner of his mouth turned up briefly before he replied, 'I'm glad. Thank you.' He pushed his bag onto his shoulder in a firmer position and turned to Polm, his face calm except for the small spark of excitement in his eyes, 'Shall we go?' Thyle shoved his hat back onto his head as he strode away, his already strong pace quickened by his desire to get going.

When he reached the boat's docking area, Thyle stood for a moment and took in the ship's structure, as if drinking it in bit by bit. He removed his bag from his shoulder and dropped it to the ground carelessly as he rolled his burden free shoulders, rubbing his hands together in excited anticipation. He peered down at Polm from under his hat and a small smile played at his lips, 'This looks like our ship.' He said as he lifted his head to gaze at the boat once more, 'Now to find the captain.'
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

Polm nodded. "Yeah, let's go then!" He said excitedly and quickly took off as fast as his little legs would take him. "Wow, look at all the colors, amazing." The sails were beacons displaying from where the ship was coming, or going. Some had insignias of personal shipping companies, others were national routes, taking salt or gold to distant islands. Around them men shouted orders about riggings and cargo. Ropes were pulled and crates were tied down for shipment.

The vessel they found their way to was an impressive ship to say the least. Two long planks lead up from the dock to the side, but they were busily being trafficked by burly men carrying bags of salt for transport. "Keep it moving!" A gentleman in a well tailored long jacket of green stood giving orders to the fellows. "The faster you move the faster we set sail and the sooner you get paid!" He bellowed.

Post by Guest »

Scanning the deck for any sign of anyone who looked like they might be the captain of the beautiful ship, Thyle shouldered his bag once more and made his way towards the assertive man in the green jacket. 'Excuse me,' he called, interrupting the man in mid-order, 'I'm sorry to interrupt,' he apologized as he drew closer, 'But are you the captain of this lovely vessel?' Thyles eyes twinkled as he said this, his face still a perfect picture of formality. If his character assessment had been right about this man, it was best to shower those who felt superior to anyone else with compliments rather than compete. He gestured towards his small friend, giving Polm the tiniest of winks before continuing. 'My name is Thyle Hwendian,' he said with a small inclination of the head, 'And this is Polm Perrywinkle. We would like to travel to the Western Terra, and were told that this ship is to head for there.' He let his last sentence rise in pitch as if it were a question, and hoped that he would learn to like this man a little more if they were going to be spending some weeks in close company with him.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

The man turned to Thyle. His dark hair was swept back from his face and green eyes, brighter in hue that his forest colored jacket, met the giant's gaze. "No, I am the director of goods for this vessel." He had a heavy accent, quickly setting him as a foreigner of this land. "We are, most definately, going back to Western Terra, that much is correct." He nodded. His skin was of a tanned tone, no doubt weathered by the sea, but he had a ruggedly handsome edge. "Are you looking to join the crew or to book come along for the ride as a passenger?" He asked the pair, with a slightly interested quirk to his brow at looking at Polm.

Post by Guest »

Thyle nodded apologetically for his mistake and followed the man's gaze towards Polm. 'We both would like to join up for the crew.' He said firmly, looking the man straight in the eye, 'neither of us have a problem with hard work.' He vaguely wondered briefly why he should be defending Polm; a man he had only met that day, and decided it was his dislike of prejudice of any sort that had made him feel that faint wave of irritation at the man's expression.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"Alright, alright, I'm making no insinuations about anyone being able to handle anything." The man looked down at Polm. "If you can handle it, then you can do it. I'll give ya the chance. But, if you can't when you mess up you either join the passengers and pay full price, or you'll be thrown overboard, got it?" He seemed deathly serious.

"Uh, yes, I most definately get it." Polm responded quickly, and a bit nervously, before he brightened up to his more halfling-like dispodition. "And ye don't need to worry, I'll make sure this weak half-giant does 'is work as well." He grinned and looked up at Thyle, a bright grin across his face and eyes sparkling. "So no worries, ok?"

"Right, I got you." The good's director responded. "Why don't you each grab a crate and head aboard. You can stow your things up their on deck for now, once the passengers begin to board it'll need to go below deck in steerage." He turned his eyes from them to those already moving the crates that were stacked all along the dock, in varying sizes from so large they needed to be moved by pulleys and ropes, to very small boxes Polm would have no trouble moving. "HEY! KEEP MOVING! Just because I'm talking doesn't mean you get a break!" He hollared.

Post by Guest »

Thyle laughed, swinging his bag back onto his shoulder, 'I'll trust you to keep me in good form then Polm.' He turned back to the man, eyes still twinkling in an echo of amusement, 'Thank you, sir for your help,' and shoved his hat back onto his head, before striding over to a medium sized box and lifting it with ease. This was what he wanted, a challenge, something he could sink his teeth into. Now you're getting somewhere Thyle, He thought pleasantly as he joined the line of crates up to the deck.

Return to “Amun Rah Archive”