Thyle - Finding the Docks

Moderator: Mods

Ashari
Moderator & Coordinator Mer Cities

Post by Ashari »

Polm grinned and took after Thyle, quickly picking up one of the smaller boxes. He may've been a small guy in stature, but he was still strong, and was more than willing to pull his own weight on this vessel, in anyway he could. The halfling had travelled via ship many times, as passenger and as crew. He may enjoy the relaxation of just riding, but working atleast gave something to do.

It didn't take long before they reached the ship's dock. "Set em down o'er there boys." A man called. He was pointing to a place where they were being set down by an opening into the depths of the boat. From there another line of men carried from the deck down into storage. It was line a well oiled machine, they worked quickly and efficiently. "Your personal packs can be set down on there." He pointed else-where where a few bags had been placed by other stragglers who joined the crew late.

"This is gonna be great!" Polm announced as he set down his box and then moved his short legs over to where the bags were. "Are you excited about going off of this sandy Isle?" He asked. "I know I am, I'm ready to see the rest of the world. Wanderlust has me by the shirt-tails and it's taking me for a ride!"
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]

Post by Guest »

ooc: sorry for the long wait :) Happy New Year by the way! :D

ic: Thyle followed Polm over to the bags and smiled at the small man's bouncy enthusiasm. The halfling never seemed to be short of energy, and Thyle wondered vaguely if he could purchase whatever it was that kept the man so happy.

The half-giant swung his pack easily off his shoulder and onto the floor, listening to the halfling talk happily away to him. 'Slow down Polm,' he laughed, 'You'll run out of breath soon my friend, and I don't think your looks would be much improved by going blue.' He smiled good-naturedly at the little man and took his hat off, rubbing his head from the heat and brushing strands of escaped shiny auburn hair away rom his face. 'I'm excited about the trip.' he told Polm, 'but I don't know much about Western Terra. The thought of exploring somewhere new has its ideals,' his eyes twinkled as he pushed his hat back down over hs head, 'Can you tell me much about the sandy isle?' He asked Polm.
Last edited by Guest on Mon Jan 03, 2005 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

ooc: Happy New Year's to you as well!

ic:

"It takes a lot to get a half-ling blue in the face, especially considering the amount of speaking we can do without taking a breath." Polm grinned.

"Yes, well I can't wait to get to Western Terra much to see." He paused and looked at Thyle with a questioning look of confusion. "This is the sandy isle, mate. Terra is bigger than you can image, with tracks of land stretching beyond the horizon. They do have their desert, but for the most part it is a forested place, very different from here, in almost everyway. Cooler clime, that's for sure, but very beautiful and very green." He nodded. "They also have many elves, for one of the countries therein is Taquar, the City in the Trees." Polm described.

"It's a wonder of innovation. They live within the branches, building with magicks no one but they can understand. Shapers, they are called, for they twist the trunks to create that which they can live within." He looked off dreamily into the water. "I should like to see it."

Tearing his gaze from the distance he turned back to his friend. "But," He added cheerily. "I'm more than excited about seeing the rest of Western Terra first!"

"Come on, let's go grab some more boxes and carry our weight as promised. I don't need to be called out for you not doing what you are supposed to." He winked and set off back towards one of the long planks where men were walking down to pick up more crates.
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]

Post by Guest »

OOC: Oops!! My mistake, I meant the Western Terra! *grins* It's funny how I'm able to misread something twice!

IC: Realising his mistake, Thyle laughed, following Polm back down the long plank to the boxes, 'My mistake, my friend. I meant the Western Terra of course.' He grinned, chuckling, 'To think I would ask about my own country!' He shook his head, smiling, and lifted a heavy box carefully, bending his knees and straightening slowly with his arms tight around the large load. 'This Western Terra sounds like a place beyond belief.' He said to Polm, bear-hugging his box and taking long strides back up the plank. As he walked he called back to his companion, 'These elves you talk of... Er.. Shapers was it?' He offloaded his box and grunted as the weight shifted once into his arms and then to the floor, 'I don't believe I've met one of the elf folk before. Would you say they are amiable people?' He bent to lift another box, watching Polm with a sparkle of adventure, excitement, and curiosity in his golden eyes.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

The cycling of workers from one spot to another made the work go fluidly, but in the tough heat of the desert most everything was difficult. Thyle had a step up on many since he had spent his entire life amongst the sands, every other man aboard was thankful for the cooling breeze off of the ocean against their backs. Polm was no exception.

A line of sweat had formed at his brow as he moved the smaller boxes from one place to the next. It was grueling work for someone so small, and the size of the crates gave the impression they were lightweight, which was hardly the case. Many of the tiny crates held very small quantities of very heavy objects, for were they to fill a whole large crate it would be enough to break a man's back. So, instead of carrying smaller loads, Polm was matching the weight of his comrade, quite unknowingly to himself.

"Slip of the tongue." He said, grinning. "Yes, the adhiel are good people. Those I've met were of good stock, but travellers usually are. Weak usually stay at home." He set down a box and moved his short legs quickly to get to the next. For each step that Thyle took, Polm had to take three. They were quite the pair. "And the shapers are no different. I just find magick terribly interesting. I visited the University of Magick in the Citadel. Oh what a ride that was! Battlemages creating defenses to prepare incase of an attack on the capitol. Quite amazing really."

Post by Guest »

Thyle listened to Polm's descriptions intently, knowing himself to be ignorant of almost everywhere except Amun Rah. 'You sound like you've travelled a lot yourself, Polm.' He said enviously, putting his crate down. Listening to his small companion's travels made Thyle even more eager to be off and away. Straightening, he shielded his eyes against the sun and peered into the horizon, 'Do you think we'll cast off before dark?' He enquired, wondering as he did how long it would take to get to the Western Terra, and what sort of adventures he might have when they got there.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"Oh yes, I do love to travel. Most definately. Was off to the Citadel, but with you I think I'll have a great time o'er in Western Terra, for sure." He grinned and sighed. The little man may have put on a show of workmanship, but it had been a while since he had to do heavy lifting. I'll sleep well tonight atleast. He mused silently and smiled before heading back to pick up another crate.

"Out tonight?" The halfling looked to the horizon. "I guess, maybe. Hard to tell, if they are already putting on the bags of paying passengers, then I would think we either set out tonight or early tomorrow morning. No one wants to waste a coin, ya know?"

A mark or so passed of the moving before they finally got all the crates into the proper places below deck and out of the vision of the soon to be arriving travellers. "All right ya scabby dogs! Get a move on below!" The green jacketed man the pair had spoken to earlier shouted over the din of others on the docks and near-by ships. "Gather yer things!"

Polm scurried over to get his own pack and pulled it quickly onto his shoulder and then headed toward the door that lead below. "You think you can handle the rolling waves, Thyle?" The halfling asked his companion as they shuffled foward through the line.

Post by Guest »

'Scabby dogs?' Thyle muttered, frowning. He picked up his pack, pushing his hat more firmly over his head and followed Polm, glaring at the green jacketed man under his hat as he passed him. He didn't know why he took such an aversion to the man, but it could only be the lack of respect that swayed around him like a wave. Coming from a home based almost entirely on respect, Thyle was not used to it.

Shaking the green jacketed man out of his head, he turned to his companion and smiled, 'Handle it?' he said, 'Do I have a choice?' He chuckled his deeply infectious bell-like laugh, his eyes crinkling as he grinned down at Polm, 'Well, If I can't ''handle'' it, then, my good friend, I will be relying on you!' He slapped Polm cheerfully on the back, lifting his head to face the shore breeze, 'Can you handle it?'
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

The little halfling stumbled forward as the half-giant slapped him on the back. It might've been a playful and acceptable motion shared between two half-giants of equal statures, but for the small being it was a quick propulsion forward. "Ooof." He hit the deck on his hands and knees and then awkwardly stood up and turned his bright green eyes to his companion.

"You might want to be watching that heavy hand of yours!" He grinned. "I'm bound to be bruised and battered if that continues. I'd like to get to Western Terra in one piece, if it is at all an option."

Clearing his throat he shuffled forward with the line. "And about the waves - yes, I've no problem handling them, but many a land lover I've know, and plenty have a hard time with the rolling and volleying of the ship beneath their feet. They are much more used to the solid ground." In a few burns they had reached a set of stairs leading down into the depths of the ship, and then even deeper until they were below sea level, in steerage.

"Ah.. well, this isn't the best place for anyone no matter their level of sea sickness. Everyone knows that it's best to be where you can see the horizon line, it takes away the ill edge." He shrugged and moved over to a set of bunk beds. They were man sized, a bit bigger, plenty of room for Polm, and slightly cramped for Thyle. It wasn't going to be a comfortable time to sleep. "You want bottom or top?" He questioned. The bottom bunk looked a bit bigger, but maybe it was just a play of the eyes.

Post by Guest »

Thyle looked doubtfully at the tiny bunks, thinking of many uncomfortable nights ahead spent folded up like a piece of parchment. 'Uh, the bottom I think.' He said, bending to sit on the blankets, as if to test it out. He bounced on it slightly and looked up at Polm with a dubious smile, 'Well, it can't get any smaller,' he said with a slight grin. 'Come, my friend, let us explore the boat. I think I'd like to forget about sleep for the time being,' Having spoken, he stood and began to climb the steps back up to the deck.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

Polm watched as Thyle turned away and headed for the door. He didn't get up from his spot on the second bunk he had crawled onto, but watched and called. "What, are you crazy? We aren't paying customers, we're labor. They told us to get on down here, so that's what we do. Right now the real voyagers are stepping aboard the ship, they don't want to see the help, their nobles." The halfling grinned and acted as if this were the most normal thing in the world.

His bright green eyes, even in this dark lair, were luminous. Such was the way with such light colored orbs. "So, you might as well get comfortable and try not to get sick." He nodded.

Post by Guest »

Thyle had stopped mid-step when Polm spoke out. He stayed with his back away from the small man for a moment, thinking, before turning with a glint in his golden eyes and a grin, 'Uphuron never meant us to stay hidden in the dark,' he said mischievously, 'a little look wouldn't hurt.' he reasoned, turning and continuing his passage up the stairs, wondering as he did if his friend would follow or stay stubbornly down below. Thyle had never known many rules in his childhood, except that politeness was a virtue, and the youngster didn't see any reason why he should be curious. After all, if he was to work on the boat, why couldn't he get to know it first? The excitement of adventure had sent a rush of adrenalin pumping through his veins, and all logic suddenly became controlled by this.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

Polm grinned. Halflings were curious people by nature, maybe because they generally kept to themselves in their halfling villages, but once they did escape the small town life they had an insatiable urge to wander. The green eyed man was no different. "A little look wouldn't hurt I suppose." He jumped down off the bunk and hit the wooden floor with a thud of his brown boots.

"Get on then, get on." He moved his hands to shoo Thyle forward, now he was eager to see what the ship had to offer. He had a similar excited adrenaline rush coursing through his veins.

Above steerage they were met with more open hallways and large cabins (many of the doors were adjar awaiting the occupants arrivals) full of plus furniture and exotic accoutriments. Each room was similar as the one next to it. "Imagine what the Captain's Quarters must look like if thisp is just the paying guests." Polm grinned mischieviously. Any sailor worth his weight in rope new better than try to get in the Captain's room, but how tempting!

Behind them, descending the stairs, there were the sounds of a woman and a gentleman. The girl was laughing the way women do when they are being courted, and the man was making a joke having to do with the Rafao being less than masculine and that he would fit in better with the maids then the fellows. Polm and Thyle had gotten themselves into a dead end with their venturing, the only way out was via the stairs, (though they themselves had come up the stairs rather than down as the new guests). "What are we going to do!?" Polm asked excitedly but in a hushed tone.

Post by Guest »

Thyle walked casually toward an open room and peered through the gap in the door, whistling appreciatively through his teeth as he surveyed the fine living space. He turned back to Polm with a grin, 'Nice.' he said simply, continuing the process through other doors down the hallway.

As the voices came nearer, Thyle straightened with a thoughtful smile. 'I say we do nothing,' he told Polm softly, his deep voice becoming gravelly with supressed excitement. 'It's only our clothes that betray our class after all.' He positioned himself in a way that made him look like he was having a sociable conversation with a companion, and winked at Polm, anticipating the arrival of the couple moving down the stairs.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"Are you crazy?" Polm asked his companion. "You must be daft!" His bright green eyes grew in size, but as the voices got closer he tried to calm himself, as he knew there was no way he could drag the half-giant into one of the rooms, even had he wanted to. Now, if he were an adhiel, maybe, for halflings are not weak creatures.

"Fine." He crossed his arms and leaned against the wall opposite the one that Thyle was nearest to make them look as if they were just caught in conversation in the hall.

Down the corridor the couple came into view. The woman was wearing a blue and white verticly striped dress. It was simple enough for travel, but still made of fine fabric to show her station. It was obvious she was of a high place. The gentleman next to her wore a white suit with finely cut pants and a fitted jacket made just for him. He had tucked a blue handkerchief into his pocket, obviously to match the lady he was with.

They had yet to notice the other two who were further down the hallway. They seemed caught up in their own conversation. She laughed, there was a soft lilt to her tone and as she reached up a hand to her face, to tuck away a lose drift of hair, her pointed ear was clearly shown. The gentleman, on the other hand, was definately human. "My father would die a thousand deaths if he heard-" She cut off and caught sight of Thyle and Polm. Arching a brow she looked at her companion.

"Greetings, sirs!" He announced, moving through the corridor with the adhiel girl aside him. "Lovely day for travelling, is it not?" Under normal circumstances neither Polm nor Thyle would warrant a second glance by nobles, or even those of the high merchant class, this was not the case now though, as they were trying to pass of as well to do themselves.

Post by Guest »

Thyle turned casually at the man's greeting, 'Good day to you sir,' he said politely in reply, before turning to look at the Adhiel lady as he removed his leather hat, the interest glinting in his golden eyes, 'and to you m'lady.' He smiled tenderly at her in greeting, before tearing his inquisitive gaze away. 'Yes, a lovely day indeed, sir. I trust you are also heading for the Western Terra?' Thyle was enjoying this game of pretend, and he held his head high, his posture demanding respect. If it had not been for his appearance, the young half-giant would have passed nicely for a noble, with his lean artistically handsome features and tall elegant frame.

'May I introduce my companion;' he said, his deep voice light and casual as he turned to Polm, 'Mr Polm Perriwinkle, and my name is Hwendian. Thyle Hwendian.' He smiled politely as he held out a large tanned hand to the man, moving his hat into the other.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"Yes, I am heading back home again to the Western Terra from this inhospitable place." He commented dramatically and gave a pleasant smile. "I cannot wait to return to a more proper society." He drawled and then turned to his companion. "I assure you the Lady feels much the same."

The adhiel girl nodded her head in agreement to the statement. "I should be glad to return home, though the change of pace was enjoyable. I loved seeing all the people, and their culture." Often the elves were considered outsiders in the xenophobic Amun Rah, but she seemed as if she actually had enjoyed herself, probably her standing in society helped matters a bit and greased the wheels.

"Polm Perriwinkle and Thyle Hwendian, wonderful to make your aquaintance." He stumbled a bit on Thyle's family name, he was not used to their pronounciation, but he did salvagebly well. "And the beautiful woman who graces this hall is the Lady Riana. I am Frederick Houstion." He offered his hand to be shaken by both the Halfling and the Half-giant.

"Lord Frederick Houstion." The young elf corrected. "He comes from a powerful family in Western Terra." She gave him a fawning smile.

"Ah, the Lady perhaps undersells herself, the Hinwein's are equally as powerful in their own circles in Taquar." He added.

"But the two of you must be just as much so, are you from this desert isle, Hwendian?" He asked, it was somewhat obvious that Polm wasn't from the locale thanks to his short stature and fairer skin.

Post by Guest »

I cannot wait to return to a more proper society...

Thyle frowned slightly at the insult, although the man was obviously flamboyant, and had never been taught the fine art of courtesy. But instead of putting the blunt individual in his place, as Thyle's animal instincts instructed, the handsome half-giant turned his attention back onto the beautiful Adhiel, gracing her with a smile. 'Is that so?' he said interestedly when the couple introduced themselves, 'Well then, I am truly.. honored to meet you, Lady Riana.' The sincerity in his voice was obvious, and he held her gaze a little too longer than perhaps etiquette permitted. 'A pleasure to meet you also, Lord Houstian,' he continued, shaking the man's hand vigorously.

The couple's by-play made the young half-giant feel vaguely uncomfortable, and he seized the question asked by Houstian as a chance to change the subject, 'Yes, I was born here, in Abu'Sahir,' he told them, 'I would offer you a guided tour, but it seems that both of us are on our way out.' His eyes twinkled as he spoke, 'You may have found us inhospitable, sir,' he directed his speech alternately from one to the other, 'but I can tall you that Amun Rah holds a beauty that many have found unsurpassed.'
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"A guided tour would've been much appreciated several days ago when I found myself lost and on the door step of the Bad Omen tavern. Quite the place." His brows raised in emphasis. "I'm lucky I wasn't strung up by my jerkin and left by the sewer!" He shook his head, it was the most excitement he had had in his entire life, and no matter how he might play it up, really, it was enjoyable seeing the seedy wench serving drinks from a dark barkeep's hands.

The Lady Riana smiled at Thyle's long glance. She was a beautiful girl, she was used to being appreciated, but this man that stood before her, so tall and strong and different from the proper nobleman she had known all her life. Well, it almost brought a flush to her cheeks to think of it.

Polm watched silently and was overly discomforted by this turn of events. He would've much preferred if the couple had made a minor bit of small talk and then continued on their way. But then, where exactly were the two of them going? And her without a maid no less... It was almost bordering on scandalous. Polm knew much about ettiquette and what was proper, and this situation definately was not. "I too have found the desert island to be absolutely magnificent, especially the sun rising over the water, it is a sight to be seen. We will be out at sea long enough, but I hope that I do not tire of the sights." The halfling smiled and the noble couple laughed a bit.

"There is only so much ocean I can see before I will tire of it, I'm glad of having other activities to keep me occupied." Houstian replied. "You chaps really ought to come up and play cards this evening. A few of the fellows will be joining in cigars and Dort whiskey. It should be a good way to pass some hours." Looking each of them from the foot to their heads. "But you really should step into clothes more representing yourselves before you do. Casual is fine for travel, but this shall be an event." He said.

Polm jumped in before Thyle would have a chance to do any sort of damage. He feared the half-giant would accept the offer. "I believe we are already going to be partaking in our own entertainment this evening. One of the boys brought along a lute. We'll be dining in our room. Perhaps another time though?" He gave a warm smile but his brow was starting to gather beads of sweat from the stress.

"Another time! Definately. I'll keep my eyes out for the two of you in the dining hall. We can exchange some stories, you, Hwendian, would bring quite the smile to a few of the faces around here. So many think of half-giants as war mongering beasts. I'm glad to see they are mistaken." With that, Houstian gave a bow and took the Lady Riana's arm. "Until then, we must go meet with her mother as we promised. She doesn't much like to travel." Riana curtseyed and then they began to move down the hallway.

Post by Guest »

ooc: Incredibly sorry for the delays! Exams are popping up like mushrooms! Happy Easter by the way! :D

ic: Thyle had indeed, as Polm had suspected, been about to accept the offer made by Lord Houstian, his heart dancing at the thought of seeing the beautiful Lady Riana again. He was, therefore, more than slightly disapointed at Polm's almost imediate response to the offer, making it seem, to him, almost bordering on rudeness. He watched the couple move away after their goodbyes with deep disapointment. How he would have loved to have played cards with the couple, and to have shown Riana how much of a man of worth he was. But now the chance to impress had gone. He almost called them back, ready to accept, but common etiquette told him no. Not now.

The young half-giant turned to Polm and sighed. 'I know the reason's you declined,' he said glumly, 'and I expect I should thank you for preventing me doing anthing stupid..... later.' His companion would know that he wasn't completely unhappy with him, but Thyle's mood was low, the thought of Lady Riana still on his mind.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

OOC: Damn exams! Hope you did well, and Happy Easter right back at ya!

IC:
"Yes, well, I had feared as much, you needn't be accepting social calls. Look at you. You aren't one of them." This wasn't meant as an out and out insult, but more of a bit of a reality check. "What would you wear? He said it was an event. That means he expects tailored gents to be arriving, not half-giants in their everyday clothes." Polm looked up at his companion with bright green eyes.

"I hope you aren't looking at the lass the way I think you are looking at her..." The halfling shook his head. "She is a noble, or, atleast, has a lot of money. You can't go chasing her around the boat. You belong in steerage with the other crew members."

Polm sighed. "Listen, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to take you out of the fun, but there is only so much you can get away with. I mean -- what are you going to do? Steal someone's evening wear from their room while they are out having lunch?" He laughed.

The pair were left in the hallway of the expensive cabins, once again alone. Polm shifted his weight uneasily, as if he were ready to skidaddle right on out of there, but he didn't want to push it. He had already annoyed the half-giant a good deal, and last thing he needed was the wrath of a fellow more than four times his size. That wouldn't do at all.
Last edited by Ashari on Tue Mar 29, 2005 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

Thyle watched Polm silently as he spoke, his expression sincere, but with a humourous glint in his eye, 'For what it's worth,' he said when his friend had finished, 'I'm sorry as well. I realise that I put you in a difficult situation.' He turned and surveyed their expensive surroundings, 'Well that's that then,' he commented, 'Back to the grindstone, I feel.' and so saying, he turned and made his way back towards their own room. But there was only one thing on his mind: How to see Lady Riana again. He knew he'd manage it somehow.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"Yeah, it's alright though." Polm said. "That's probably the most exciting thing I've done in a while. Pretending to be so important like that! Hah. Yeah, good stuff, and fun. Something to write home about, you know?" His green eyes sparkled with similar humor as Thyle's.

"Let's get on then, don't want to be late." The halfling moved his short legs down the stairs and back to their cramped cabin where the rest of the men were waiting for orders. A few candles had been lit to make up for the lacking of natural light, thanks to their being below sea level.

"I guess this is what we have to look forward to for the next few weeks." Polm muttered as he climbed up onto his bunk and looked around at the other crew members. A few were reading, others were just resting. One young man was carving something out of a chunk of wood.

However, their time of relaxation was not to last. "ALL HANDS ON DECK!" A voice hollared, it was a familiar one, the human from earlier, in the green jacket, called for attention and immediately people rose from their spots. Once above deck again he began making orders. "We're ready to set sail, what I need is for our strongest men to help with the large ropes o'er there." He pointed to massive ropes, as thick as Polm's midsection. "Start hauling them in so we can set sail. The men who know the riggings should began unleashing the sails. Get to it then!"

The crowd dispersed and began working on their tasks. Large men went to the port side of the deck and starting pulling on the weighty tethers as some other men went to the dock and untied the knots. Once they were free, several men went to each rope and helped to begin pulling it up.

Post by Guest »

The atmosphere in the cabin seemed rather less subdues than earlier on, and Thyle gave Polm a quick smile, amused at his apparent eagerness to follow the rules. He folded his tall frame carefully onto the bottom bunk and watched the carver in the corner with interest. He was about to open his mouth to comment on the man's skill when the shout came from above. He heaved himself off his bunk, and gave Polm a brief clap on the shoulder, 'To work we march then,' he said, winking at his companion and climbing the stairs to the deck.

Thyle followed the men out onto the open deck, feeling a spark of excitement at the thought of setting sail. At the green-jacketed man's orders, he resisted the sudden urge to salute, and strode over to the large ropes and grasped one between both hands. The material felt coarse and rough, and the young half-giant felt the skin on his hands tense as the harsh threads of the rope scratched unpleasantly against his palm. The strong muscles in his arms bunched as he heaved the huge rope, and he grunted in effort when his burden shifted slightly under his influence. 'C'mon,' he muttered, as he felt the rope creak slowly towards him, 'C'mon there.'

ooc: Sorry for the delays! *grins*... again.
I hope I wasn't taking too much of a liberty with the rope. I wasn't sure how much I could write without making it move *grins*
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

OOC: That's fine, and welcome back!

IC:

Another man walked up behind Thyle and pulled hard on the rope, giving alternating yanks to the half-giant and the pair of them made short work of the heavy rope. "Coil it up." The man said as he started feeding the half-giant the thick tether. It wouldn't take long before he pointed over to the next rope and moved to work on it. He was a man of few words. Stocky and well built, he looked as if he might have had some giant in him, back in his ancestry.

It was arduous business and out in the sun, with the desert air breathing down their necks, sweat came quickly. The only relief was the ocean winds that pulled the sails as they dropped from overhead and started to catch the current. Salt in the spray washed over their faces and found it's way into the mouth and eyes with burning accuracy.

Once all of the ropes were pulled up there was a flow of traffic back below the deck. Polm rushed over to Thyle, his face red and covered in a gleam of exersion. "This is a much larger boat than I'm used to!" He said in a rush of air, his voice tumbling out unstoppably. "We need to get below and man the oars." The halfling told him.

The air in the expansive area below was cold, and rows upon rows of benches sat aside wooden shafts that stuck out of the side of the boat which had oars on the outside of the ship. "Grab a seat." Polm was so short that he could barely reach the oars, and then his feet didn't reach the floor when he sat on the bench. So, to make up for this, he stood rather than sat, and pushed on an oar.

Return to “Amun Rah Archive”