Engagement Dinner: Eveningtide Samheen 16

Moderator: Mods

Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Engagement Dinner: Eveningtide Samheen 16

Post by Shaeliana »

Few occasions were as momentous as this one: the upcoming marriage of the Caesar of the Seven Isles. It was an event that had drawn much discussion, speculation and even some wagering as to when or if the monarch would ever take a bride and produce an heir. Some tongues even argued that the prissy peacock preferred male company though most laughed off such nonsense. His highness had a well known fondness for females, the issue being that his fondness never went beyond the momentary fancy.

That he had finally decided to take a bride had stirred the hearts and the tongues of the city. Even those not able to attend were wild with anticipation, watching the steady flow of goods into the palace with close attention.

Inside, shut off from common eyes, workers had assembled a glorious dinning area in the great hall. Set up in a large U shape, the long head table was set up to seat 22, the Caesar and his bride to be seated in the middle seats, that table raised a handsbreadth higher than the others with 10 dignitaries seated on each side of the pair.

Down from the head table a row of very wide tables ran down each side, stretching the length of the room with settings for guests on both sides of the table. Snow white linens draped all the tables and each place setting had either a blue or violet napkin rolled up and tied in a neat bow with a silver string.

Silver candelabras dotted the tables, hung with a multitude of crystal drops. Silver charges held white china plates and silver serving platters sat awaiting the food offerings that would be set out once the guests arrived and the meal started. The walls were draped with banners, that of the Empire behind the royal couple, with Kislovan's to the left and trothgard's to the right with the other nations of the Seven Isles continuing on to wrap around the side walls.

Lined against the back wall, narrow tables held glasses and more serving trays for hors d'oeuvre to be served before dinner.

Still a mark before guests would be arriving, and almost two marks before the guests of honor would arrive and the meal would be served, student mages bustled about the room setting in place magical displays overseen by an old mage with silver white hair and bright merry blue eyes along with a tall thin older man who was more actively involved in the placement and set up of something in the empty center bewteen the long rows of tables. There was movement everywhere as the servants, pages and cooks were all busy setting the last minute details in place.

<HR>
This thread is open to those working on the dinner - pages, mages and cooks. After the "help" has things situated, the guests may begin to arrive. I am guestimating next week real time? Depends on how quickly the help gets things in order. ;) Have fun everyone!!
Last edited by Shaeliana on Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
[color=hotpink][i]The secret of success is sincerity. Once you can fake that you've got it made.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]
Andolin
Caesar

Andolin Arrives

Post by Andolin »

Folding the parchment and replacing it in the purse that hung at his belt, Andolin was satisfied with the words that he would utter in honor of the coming courtship. He had commited much to memory, but he needed to reassure himself that the written words were still with him.

Having donned his purple silk tunic, black hose and gold codpiece, the golden sash added the fitting official touch. Not wanting to be viewed as some mere palace fop by the fathers of Etain or Kitya, he added his sabre and scabbard to his belt. Though it was a nuisance that swung at his side, it added a needed martial appearance to his presentation. With a practiced confident stride, he entered the ballroom to survey the preparations. All must go smoothly.

Wandering through the seating area, he made sure that every piece of cutlery and placeware was in its proper place. It was something easily delegated to a page, but if one wanted things done right .... Taking a tour of the room, Andolin stopped each worker to ask if they would be ready shortly. It was best to know if there were problems before the dinner started.
Last edited by Andolin on Fri Jun 18, 2004 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
[i]Someone has to be in charge, so it might as well be me.[/i]
Andolin Avatar by the Nice GD
Velentino

Post by Velentino »

His uniform donned and a good night's rest behind him, Velentino found his way to the dinner hall. It had taken him quite some time and he had been stopped numerous times, asked to confirm his employment. It seemed that not many of the servants knew of his arrival. He did make it to the hall though, and for that he was glad, because standing around one of the tables, monitoring the progress, was the Lord Andolin.

"Good day, lord." Velentino shouted as he wove through the tables and chairs stopping only for flickers to take in the decor. He stopped just feet away from the Lord and bowed his head slightly. "Lord Andolin, I'm refreshed and ready to serve you, although I'm not too sure how. I know there must be a lot to get ready, yet, and... well, you tell me." He gave a small smile and awaited the Lord's response.
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

"Ah, Valentino," he uttered with some satisfaction. "I like to see my pages show up bright and early." Of course, to Andolin, bright and early was noontide.

"Wander about and see if all of the preparations are in readiness. Look for things out of the ordinary. I know you are new to this but try and overhear whispers and watch carefully someone who takes too much interest in something that should not require so much attention. While the Purple Guard will ensure security, I want my own eyes and ears open for potential assassins or those who might plan to ruin the dinner for their own ends. Do you understand?" His voice was in a hushed tone as his eyes scanned those assembled in the room. It was much to ask a lad on his first day, but it would be a good test to judge his newest page's perceptiveness.
Last edited by Andolin on Sat Jun 19, 2004 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Velentino

Post by Velentino »

At first, after hearing of his instructions, Velentino nearly grinned in the Lord's face. Containing himself, he nodded and bowed again, then turned his back to the man, calmly walking down the row of chairs and tables. How ironic that he, a thief at heart, was asked to spy and look for potential assassins. He remembered methods and techniques he simply picked up for survival...

Still, he was trusted with an amazing burden. The life of the Caesar and other dignitaries rested on his and only a select few others. Velentino circled around the head of the table, passing the large banners that portrayed the seal of the Empire. He watched from this high point of the room as the students of the mage dashed back and forth, placing their magical displays everywhere. He watched a tall, thin man in the center of the room, setting up something he couldn't see from that far away.

The dinner wouldn't start for more than a few wicks, and so Velentino continued his job. However, after seeing some of the other pages arrive, Velentino found it an immediate need to change. Here he was in his ratty old uniform while the others were dressed in gowns and dresses. Why had he not been informed? He slowly moved closer to the doors, praying silently that nothing would happen while he was gone that he would need to attend to.
Last edited by Velentino on Sun Jul 04, 2004 9:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Zhavon Mikhalrian

Post by Zhavon Mikhalrian »

It wouldn't have done to enter dressed in any sort of uniform, despite her being a page. There was enough vanity within the Rose student to need, and to require to be dressed as well as she could afford on her meager funds.

And so, the girl entered into the hall, dressed in pale blue silk, the luxurious fabric clinging to her slender form lovingly. The gown was cut low across her chest, obviously having been laced into a corset prior to donning, and probably having gotten Celestine to assist in that department. Sleeves were long and belled gently at the wrists, falling in neat, delicate little cascades to either side. The collar and hems were both embroidered with silver gilt thread.

The girl's hair had been swept from her face, affixed in the back by all manners of hidden pins and ribbons. The majority was tied into a contained bun, twined with sapphire coloured ribbons and spilling from the bottom a riot of curls, the longest falling over one shoulder. For jewelry, she had only chosen silver earrings and a matching cerulean blue ribbon tied about her long throat.

Hurrying wouldn't do, at least not appearing to hurry, and so, with skirts plucked from her feet, she moved towards where she saw Andolin standing, supervising. Velentino had just scampered off, the man unrecognized and uncommented upon as the redhead took up a place beside the Master of Protocol, curtseying politely.

"Good evening, Lord Azarin." Zhavon smiled softly, her cheeks attractively flushed in anticipation of the evening. There was a deadline set, between the two of them, that she knew she would have to have an answer for by the end of evening. She still had no idea as to if she would accept, or decline his generous offer of mentoring her.

"Shall I check in and settle the acrobats? Any special instructions given to them?" Likely, discussions of when and where they were to perform had already been passed along to the bright little page, if not, it was an open invitation.
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

It was a relief to see Zhavon approach. He looked for any signal as to what her answer might be after the dinner, but she gave no outward clues. There was no need to use his mindcraft on her. That would come later.

One thing he did note as she approached was that she was prettier than he remembered. She had struck him originally as a mere pretty slip of a girl, but all dressed up, she looked almost like a lady. If she was to become his creature, she might not need as much work as he had originally planned. If she desired, instead, to remain a Rose, then there might be a way he could use that refreshing beauty to his advantage as well. Still, one needed more than looks to succeed at court.

"Yes, yes, see to the acrobats," he replied absent-mindedly. "Have you seen Rees about? She would be here unless ..." he stopped as he thought upon it. Unless she is in trouble. His eyes scanned the room again. "She may arrive any moment," he added in a calming tone.

"There is a special project that I require of you or Celestine. Discreetly learn if the Lady Aesa knows how to dance. I would have Caesar dance with her after the speech, but only if she knows formal dancing. If not, we must make excuses." Andolin's eyes sought Zhavon's own as he sought confirmation that she understood. Aesa might know some barbaric dances, but those will not be on display this evening.

Post by Guest »

Celestine entered the hall, dressed in her formal best, the flowing teal gown that she had first worn when she arrived in the Citadel. Her corset slimmed her already slender form, her dress cut to display a modest amount of cleavage without being too daring. Her blonde hair was still shorn short from her stay in the dungeon, but she'd done the best she could to make it into a short, sweeping, feathered bob. She'd applied make-up to disguise the worst of the knife-slashes from her tormentors, and she moved with a quiet grace.

She spotted Lord Andolin and Zhavon and came over, curtesying. "My Lord." She smiled at Zhavon. "This is so exciting!"
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

A quiet busy-ness occupied the vast hall as servants began to set the table at the back of the hall with finger foods and glasses for the assortment of wines and other fermentations, tie overs for those who would arrive early and socialize as they awaited the entrance of the Caesar and the guest of honor, Aesa.

Apparently finished with their preparations, the student mages withdrew leaving the two older mages conversing and laughing off to one side. Everyone went about their business, paying little heed to pages or the Master of Protocol or anything beyond their immediate responsibility.

It would not be long now before the first guests began to arrive.
[color=hotpink][i]The secret of success is sincerity. Once you can fake that you've got it made.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]
Zhavon Mikhalrian

"Lady Rees?" The Rose shook her head quietly and pondered on his agitation. Nodding, she smiled gently and apparently agreed with his assessment, that Rees would be joining them at any moment. "I'm sure you're right, sir..." Gazes locked for a moment and once more did the girl nod, affirming her understanding of the situation with the Lady Aesa.

Green eyes shifted to Celestine as she joined them, smiling brightly to her fellow page. "It certainly is." They seemingly shared a moment of simple, giggling girlishness, before Zhavon flicked her gaze back upon Lord Azarin. He probably didn't want to have to deal with a pair of immature little girls, and wouldn't now that at least one of them had sobered.

"I will go see to the acrobatics. If the Trothgardian diplomats are here, I'll talk to them to learn if the Lady Aesa knows the waltz." She smiled, and curtseyed. Waiting for his dismissal before taking herself off to do precisely that, she'd soon be lost amongst those present in the preparations, ducking between mage students with inherent grace.
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

Andolin nodded as Celestine arrived and greeted him. He gave her a patronizing smile as she gushed about the excitement of a state dinner. "Zhavon was just leaving to see to the acrobats and find the Trothgard ambassador. I need you to find Lady Rees, or secure the courtship gift she acquired for Caesar to bestow upon the Lady Aesa. I want to make sure all goes smoothly. If you cannot find her, return at once and we will think further upon it." He had now given instructions to each page and awaited to see if they had any questions before they departed.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

With much ado and an abundance of noise, a troupe of four oddly attired souls entered the dining hall, arms full of cases and satchels. Pausing in the wide entrance, they managed to space themselves strategically to make the entrance or exit of anyone else from the room awkward as they examined the hall. A deep baritone voice invaded the relative quiet of the hall, the melodic tone echoing into the halls behind him.

"Is there someone here in charge?" the large bulbous man queried, smoothing a well trimmed dark beard that age had salted with gray to match the streaks that were beginning to appear in the dark curly hair of his head. Next to him stood a fairhaired woman, her full curves encased in a red silk gown, now out of fashion though some alterations had been attempted to bring it up to date. Pretty enough and much younger than the leader, her blue eyes gave the impression she was a bit lost.

Framed by two other men, both average height, brown hair and smooth faces, they were twins and though not quite indentical, theywere close enough to cause confusion if not seen side by side. Ruggedly handsome, one was eyeing a servant girl who had carried in a tray, winking at her playfully and receiving a giggle in return.

"Anyone? We need ta know where we're ta set up," the bulbous man's voice boomed across the hall once again.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Celestine looked over at the arrival of the new guests, ignoring the patronizing smile from Lord Andolin. She'd been subjected to many such smiles growing up and had learned how to hide her reaction. She turned back to the Master of Protocol. "Where can I find this Lady Rees, or her gift?"
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

Noting the loud arrival of strangers, Andolin first turned back to Celestine and uttered, "she originally had a room next to yours, but the Major Domo found her better quarters elsewhere. The servants in the hallway should be able to direct you. You have seen her before ... at the Trothgard Embassy, no? She should be here and I worry she has been ... detained." Once Celestine felt comfortable with what little in the way of directions he could provide, he moved to greet the loud bard.

"I am the one in charge," he replied with a sniff. "Lord Azarin, Master of Protocol, and Assistant Major Domus to Caesar. And who might you be?"
Velentino

Post by Velentino »

Velentino, from his position behind the dinner table, watched as the bards slowly made their way towards Andolin. Moving casually towards them, he stood off to the side, trying to make himself useful if Andolin wished. If not, he had yet to change into his more formal wear and would need to.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

The short rotund man approached Andolin, his clothing nearly as bright as his smile, his red silk brocaded vest under a purple velvet jacket and black silk breeches.

"Razeef R'nadwulf the resplendent," he introduced himself and bowed with great flourish, one foot ahead of the other and both arms outstretched.

"And this," he turned and motioned towards the blue eyed beauty that followed him, "is my daughter Kailyn a most excellent and enchanting songstress," his voice boomed and echoed through the hall though he wasn't raising it at all. The petite young woman decked out in red brocaded satin, her strawberry blonde hair swept up off her neck, lowered her eyes and curtsied formally.

"Milord," she murmured, her voice soft and sweet.

"Rounding off our magnificent troupe," he good naturedly slapped one of the young men on the shoulder, "are Dirque and Darque Freelon, our musicians extraordinaire who will titillate and delight you this evening," the leader beamed proudly over the two handsome young men clad in yellow silk vests under a copper colored velvet jacket over copper colored silk breeches.

Now good sir, where is it you wish us to set up? The time draws near for your guests to arrive does it not? We must set the ambiance before the first arrives."
- Andolin
[/i][/color]
Twilight
Retired staff

Post by Twilight »

From the far end of the grand dininghall, seven people arrived, two of whom carried with them musical instruments. Most of them gazed around the chamber, noting the arrangements and chatting quietly amongst themselves. There was much to see in the hive of activity and they progressed only slowly across the floor.

One of the women in the group, however, appeared to be looking for someone from the look of concentration on her face. It took a few flickers, but her face transformed into one of mild triumph as she spotted Zhavon and Celestine. With a brief comment to the others, she left the group and proceeded quickly over to Zhavon, who appeared to be heading directly for them.

"Good Eventide, Miss Zhavon," Martella called out with a smile. "Where shall we assemble?"
Last edited by Twilight on Fri Jun 25, 2004 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

(avatar by Talon Yoseijo)
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

With the man's booming voice, Andolin thought to set up the bard and musician's as far away from the guest tables as possible. He gave the faintest of nods at each introduction. "Over there," he replied formally as he pointed to the far end of the room.

He did not remember hiring a singer, nor asking someone to hire a bard for the dinner. He expected musicians who could play dance music later. This band seemed awfully small for that. The paranoia that was etched in the fabric of his being, caused him to cast out with his mentalism to see if he could read the thoughts of Razeef as he moved away. It was an opportunity to do his own check to make sure the man planned no mischief this night.
Zhavon Mikhalrian

Zhavon saw as the acrobats entered the room, having just been looking for them. Funny how things like that worked out, it would seem. She met Martella halfway between the door and from where Lord Azarin had been standing. The girl smiled brightly and joined the woman, looking beyond the acrobat for the rest of the troupe. "Good Eveningtide, Madam."

Quickly scanning for the appointed room Andolin had mentioned earlier that day, she gestured towards it and began to lead the woman. "Over here, please, there is a room that is normally use for servants' rest between courses that we've outfitted for your use. A changing screen is available, should you need one." The Rose student smiled and opened the door when they reached it, gesturing inside. "Lord Azarin would like it best if you could perform in the center of the tables." Her hand lifted to point inside the U shape.

"I will leave you to get ready. Please come and find me or Celestine if you have any further questions. I wish you all the best of luck."

Waiting for her dismissal, she looked over the rest of the room, her expression still pleasantly lovely as she observed the preparations of the banquet.

Andolin might have recalled that the pair of musicians hired with the acrobats were also contracted to play background music for the dinner, if it was needed.

Post by Guest »

Celestine nodded. "Okay then, my Lord. I'll get right on it." She curtsied and then started off for the hallway, waving to Martella and her troupe as they entered.

OOC: Should a separate thread be started or will her search for Rees be kept on this thread?
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Unfortunately, Andolin's mind probe returned nothing but a fuzzy hidden impression and a cryptic glare from Razeef. The troupe didn't get far before the acrobats arrived, producing an array of raised brows as Razeef noted the instruments they carried. Turning abruptly, he marched back to Andolin, the others left standing.

"What's this? I wasn't told we'd be sharing the stage with anyone," his deep voice echoed around the Master of Protocol. "I trust this doesn't in any way affect or change the t.... uh crown we were promised in exchange for our services? It is hardly our fault that we weren't fully informed of what our duties would be," he remarked pointedly to Andolin.

"By the way, when can we expect that payment my good man?" he asked, flashing a charming smile that exuded goodwill and charisma. The Master of Protocol felt a tiny itch on the palms of his hands.
Last edited by Shaeliana on Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Marius entered the doorway and held his hand up to stop Celestine, "No need to look for the Lady Rees, she is no longer in the Palace".

Before Celestine could say anything he adds, "Do not ask why, it is not your place to know".

Marius looked around the room, seeing Andolin he strode up to him and put on one of his 'charming' smiles.
"Protocol Master Andolin, how nice to see you, I hope all the proceedings are going well. I'm sure Caesar and his Bride will find no fault in what you do".

He looked around and continued, "Oh, Rees will not be coming, she had to leave the palace on business. The dog is in the royal kennels, a deerhound, answers to the name of Blaze I believe".

Once more turning to Andolin, "Oh, and where am I supposed to be in this", he waves his arm around, "this organised chaos then"?
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

It was curious that he could not read the mind of a mere bard, and it caused Andolin to become less settled about the man. "The other musicians are to accompany the acrobat routine, I believe," he guessed. "As for you, my good sir, I will honor the contract negotiated with my office. We wanted background and dance music. Are you able to produce such with just the four of you?" he asked suspiciously. "Which of my assistants negotiated for your services?"

As he awaited a reply, he overheard the arrival of Marius. "Milord," he purred, as one should to one's superior, "you are to sit whereever you wish. I was planning to place you and Lady Rioja next to Caesar and the Lady Aesa, if that is acceptable." There were no other members of the Inner Circle present, since Sosa and Duke Erwin disappeared. He doubted that Silk would arrive. Even if he did, he was likely to wish to sit somewhere less conspicuous.

Turning to Celestine, Andolin stated, "Milord, may I present Celestine Elassia ? " He allowed her to curtsey. "Perhaps you should see that Blaze is ready?" he suggested to her.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

The smile broadened and the tone of the voice warmed considerably, as if he were an old time friend of Andolin's.

"Assuredly so, good sir. We're able ta provide what'er sort or type o' music and entertainment ya wish from soft instrumental pieces ta more flambouyant and active dance pieces. My daughter's a lovely voice should ya wish some love songs, given that it tis a betrothal dinner," he winked conspiratorily and Andolin had that same itchy sensation on the palm of his hands, sort of a faint buzzy feeling.

"We've played at all sorts o' events from birthins ta weddins ta funerals and everythin' in b'tween. I think you'll find us more than satisfactory for yer needs milord and we've a wide repartory of music includin' a few from the fair isle of Trothgard itself," he bragged broadly as he focused his attentions and charms on the questions he wanted to answer.

"You simply tell us what you wish and we'll make it beautifully so," he grinned broadly again and almost seemed as if he were ready to give Andolin a friendly clap on the back.
Last edited by Shaeliana on Sun Jun 27, 2004 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Marius nodded to Andolins' placement of himself, "That will be fine Andolin, I have not seen the Lady Rioja in a while".

He barely acknowledged Celestine, dismissing her with a wave of his hand.

He watched and listened to the talk between the Bard and Andolin, staring at the bard, and then at Andolin, a wry smile on his face at the goings on.

"I will take my leave now Andolin, you will of course keep me updated as to everything that happens here? There must be no mistakes you understand"?

With that he turned and walked away.

Return to “The Citadel proper Archive”