Hunting Plains: Scatha, Arvana, Brynhild (Samheen 15th)

Moderators: Vanadius, Mods

Post by Guest »

(OOC: Ok guys. It didnt take long to fix it, but I still have no idea what happened. Anyways, I'm back in action!!)

Arvana watches Scatha and Evan, a grin on her face. She cannot remember the last time she has seen anything like this. When the both landed on the ground, tangled, she laughed until tears formed in her eyes. At Brynhild's comment, she almost fell to the ground herself, laughing uncontrolably. This is very unlike the young Adhiel, who hasnt had a good laugh in a while.

When she had finally calmed down, she looked over to Brynhild and hooked arms with the girl. She waited for Scatha and Evan to correct themselves, if they really wanted too.
Zhavon Mikhalrian

Post by Zhavon Mikhalrian »

Unfortunately for Scatha, it would seem that everyone was doubled over in hysterics at her predicament. Lirahn could do nothing more than fall onto his butt and clutch at his stomach in breathy laughter. As for the other two ladies, they were in much of the same condition as the Waelkyrige man, and none of them seemed to be able to hold down their mirth long enough to haul Evan off Scatha.

Lirahn recovered enough to rise to his feet and join Brynhild and Arvana, linking arms with his cousin to continue onwards to the Hunting Grounds. "I'll join you, ladies, to leave Evan and Scatha to their, ah... devices..."

Evan, for his part, was scarlet beneath his beard and at the sound of the rest of the group's tearful laughter, he was able to regain his sense. He lumbered off Scatha, pausing only a moment to offer her his hand and draw her to her feet, politely, murmuring beneath his breath his sincerest, yet quiet, apologies. By the time he had finally gotten to his feet, however, the other three had left them there.
Last edited by Zhavon Mikhalrian on Tue Jul 27, 2004 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
wyrdgirluk
Tazlure Supporter

Post by wyrdgirluk »

OOC: Just to let you know that I'm on holiday from the end of this week until August 14h... hope this doesn't hold anybody up too much ;)

IC:
Scatha swatted Evan's offered hand away, and scrambled to her feet; "Men! They're all the same," she hissed, and stomped away after the others, sincerely hoping that the cold air would cool down her scarlet cheeks....
Last edited by wyrdgirluk on Thu Jul 29, 2004 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image by kind permission of Peter Town - check out his great work at Elfwood!

"Cleavage & attitude can carry a girl a *long* way"

Post by Guest »

(Once again this summer I am at my grandmothers. Hopefully this year I get to get on more than I did last. Unfortunently, I havnt the time to post at the moment. I love you all and I'll post as soon as possible, which wont be too far from now.)
Brynhild da`Waelkyrige

Post by Brynhild da`Waelkyrige »

Still laughing, the young Waelkyrige girl linked arms with the pretty adhiel and they sauntered off towards the hunting grounds.

"I hope all the fun and game are indicative of an easy hunt," she said. "I've no mind to spend three days tracking down a lone elk with these guys," and her hand waved to indicate her two cousins. But she knew better: Evan and Lirahn were both fine hunters of their own, and between the two of them, they had an excellent chance of bagging a fine, large elk.
Zhavon Mikhalrian

Evan wasn't particularly offended by Scatha's refusal of his help, on the contrary, he had almost expected it given the way that things had fallen out, no pun intended. He too turned to tromp off after the others, resigned to silence for the few burns after he caught up to them. As it were, he just watched them, pondering over Scatha's sudden refusal and blunt manners in regard to himself. Then again, it was to be expected given that he had tripped and fallen upon her and then all those quips made by the rest of their party. Actually, thinking it over, he wasn't quite as surprised as he first was.

Brynhild's cousins snorted at her, eyes narrowing and brows lifting as she derisively mocked their wonderful and rather competent hunting skills. "She's just worried that we might make her look back!" Lirahn piped up with a conspiratorial grin upon his finely chiseled lips. "Just for that, I think we should make Brynhild haul the elk all the way back to Rimehold." He laughed and was joined by his brother in their mirth at Brynhild's expense.

The two Waelkyrige males grinned at their cousin, waiting for her biting retort to their own jokes made about her. After all, pay back was fair play, wasn't it?
Last edited by Zhavon Mikhalrian on Thu Aug 05, 2004 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
wyrdgirluk
Tazlure Supporter

Post by wyrdgirluk »

OOC : back :) sorry to hold everyone up

IC : "I don't think Brynhild would have to carry the entire elk back," Scatha remarked cheerfully. "All this walking is giving me an appetite. I'm sure I could manage an elk steak." A sudden thought struck her; "As a matter of interest, how are you going to bring it back? If these elk are as large as you say, then you'll need something to carry it back on." She looked speculatively at Evan and Lirahn; "Your shoulders are broad, but not that big..."

Zhavon Mikhalrian

((OOC: It's okay, as you can tell, the thread didn't really go anywhere since you were gone... And welcome back!))

Lirahn snorted and just eyed Scatha at her comment that he and his brother haul back the elk carcass. "Well, that's probably very likely what's going to happen, anyway. Can't trust you girls to lend a hand, you know..." He winked, taking the sting from his somewhat sarcastic, yet joking comment.

Meanwhile, Evan was digging through his pack before finally retrieving something longer than his hand by only a few finger widths to either side, wrapped in cloth. Unrolling it, the contents turned out to be pieces of some sort of jerky, the meat unnamed, as were the seasonings used. Offering a piece to Scatha first, as some sort of peace treaty between them after their unfortunate accident, he smiled. "Dried elk. It should curb your hunger, at least for a little while." He then turned to the others, "Anyone else like any?"
wyrdgirluk
Tazlure Supporter

Post by wyrdgirluk »

Scatha took the offered meat and looked at it doubtfully; "Dried elk?" She sniffed at it; well, it smelt ok... and it would be rude not to, not after its been offered. As if in agreement, her stomach emitted a growl of anticipation. "Sorry," she said cheerfully, and toook a bite. Not bad... a little chewy, maybe, she thought, tearing on it. Not as good at Dortish beef, but adequate. She kept chewing as she followed the others, musing over everything that had happened since their unexpected arrival; "Back at the tavern, someone said that the King was coming to Trothgard," she said thoughtfully. "Is there a reason for his visit?"

Zhavon Mikhalrian

"Just try it, Scatha, it's not going to bite you back," Evan said with a soft laugh as his relatives all claimed pieces of the jerky for themselves. Lirahn took a special interest in watching Scatha's first taste, but there after, let his attention wander away. Naturally, as jerky, it took a little saliva to get it to soften, and because of it, the remainder of the conversation trailed off as they padded along.

"Well... the Caesar, the master of the Seven Isles, you know, right? The Kona sent her niece, Aesa da'Yrsa to the Citadel to negotiate a marriage contract. It would only be fitting if he came here for a short visit. I think." Lirahn replied in between nibbling on his jerky, apparently just parroting some of the things he had heard in Rimehold. He wasn't really politically minded, and it was evident that he was just repeating things.
wyrdgirluk
Tazlure Supporter

Post by wyrdgirluk »

Scatha was incredulous; "You mean the Kona sent her niece to get the Caesar to marry her? And she hadn't even *seen* him before? What if she got there, and found that he had two heads and ate cow dung for breakfast?" Scatha was a firmly believer in marrying for love, the idea of just being sent away to get married to someone she'd never met before astonished her. Actually, the idea of marrying anyone (with the possible exception of the blonde, handsome King she had met at Brie) seemed about as appealing as eating cow dung. A sudden thought struck her; "What's the difference between a Caesar and the King? They're the same, are they?"

Zhavon Mikhalrian

Lirahn and Evan both laughed softly, the latter just giving Scatha a somewhat unreadable look. "What do you mean if he had two heads and ate cow dung? This is the Caesar, Anochrim, one of the heroes of the Great Battle, and one of the elfish besides, I doubt he'd be eating cow dung for breakfast." Lirahn winked and patted her on the shoulder in a somewhat condescending manner. "After all, I mean, do you really think he could be all that bad for Aesa? Everyone thinks it would be a good match, and it could be very, very good for Trothgard as a whole." More repeating the opinions of others, Lirahn didn't really care much for politics, as that they were too distant in his life, anyhow.

Evan pursed his lips a moment and shrugged to Scatha's question. "Not sure, really, but I think a Caesar is higher..." The Caesar was higher than the Kona, in the secular realm at the very least, Trothgard did belong to the Empire after all.

Nonetheless, during all of their chatter, they were still making awfully good time to the hunting grounds. At one point, they passed a tree where someone had carefully tacked a piece of woad stained hide to. "There we go, that there is the marker to the hunting grounds. Every couple of years, they change the distance or forge a new path in another direction to keep from overhunting a particular area..." Lirahn dutifully explained to them all the methods to Trothgardian madness.
wyrdgirluk
Tazlure Supporter

Post by wyrdgirluk »

"I bet you'll change your tune when he turns up, telling you to bow and scrape with one head, and demanding extra portions of cow dung with the other," she said cheerfully. "I'm just bemused at the idea of anyone marrying someone they've never met before. When I get married, it'll be to someone I love." Just as long as its the blonde haired, blue eyed King I met at Brie... A sudden thought struck her; "Do you think other Kings and the like with come to Trothgard as well? I mean, to keep this two-headed Caesar company?"

Before she could get a reply, Lirahn pointed out the woad stained hide pinned to a tree. Scatha took a good look at it, and then glanced up the sky, trying to work out in what direction they were going; always a good idea to be able to find your way home...
Last edited by wyrdgirluk on Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:45 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Brynhild da`Waelkyrige

Sorry about my absence -- I got busy with RL and kind of forgot about this place.

Brynhild laughed as she heard her cousins comments about her hauling the entire carcass back to Rimehold. "We'll just field dress it and that way the carcass can be distributed amongst several members of the group," and with that said, she eyed her cousins appraisingly.

She had to smile at the tenitive way that Scatha took the dried elk meat, especially when Evan told her that it wouldn't bite back. She took a piece gratefully, and chewed thoughtfully while the others talked politics

She listened quietly to the news about the Kona and Caesar Anochrim. Politics were still beyond her, particularly when they pertained to places as far away as the Citadel. Then, seeing the blue-stained piece of hide, she was drawn back into the real world, and the hunt they were on.

Post by Guest »

(OOC: I am sooo bad with things. I have been so busy, I havnt had time to do anything. I didnt forget about tazlure, ((how could I)) but I kept putting it off. I'll try to post more often, but I know I wont be able to post alot until I get home. I should be home around the 1st and hopefully things can get better!)

Arvana walks along with Brynhild, arms linked and listens to them all talk. Normally a quiet person, she'd rather listen intently. When Evan offers the meat, she polietely declines and continues to follow the group.

Not into too much politics herself, Arvana still listens, thinking that it may have something to do with the laws. Noticing that it doesnt, she was about to say something, when they came up the to the skin marking the hunting grounds.
Zhavon Mikhalrian

((OOC: Sorry this is later than normal, guys. My mother stopped by yesterday and got rather distracting.))

Scatha's questions of the Caesar were obviously falling upon the wrong people in Trothgard. The two Waelkyrige sons were into far simpler pursuits than the lofty politics that surrounded something like the possible visit of the Caesar or even the engagement of the Kona's niece to the man. At her questions, Evan and Lirahn exchanged a look of puzzlement and shrugged, answering her as best as either of them could with, "I don't know." Cheeky grins did nothing to dissuade those present that they weren't attempting to tease her, however.

Passing into the hunting grounds, with the exception of the woad stained hide, was nothing more remarkable than the time already spent trudging further and further away from Rimehold. In fact, beyond that tacked, blue crusty thing, they noticed nothing different other than that the path seemed to eventually be closed in by underbrush and trees. The group fell into silence, obligingly, all jokes put aside as that this was now the time in which to own up to their boasting, on the parts of Evan and Lirahn. They paused, and turned to look at the two foreigners, Evan tapping his lips.

Speaking in a whisper, he asked, "Do either of you know how to hunt? I forget..." Sheepish again, perhaps, in that he had already forgotten that important piece of information.
wyrdgirluk
Tazlure Supporter

Post by wyrdgirluk »

Scatha realised that this probably wasn't the time and place to discuss political marriages and handsome blonde Kings, and obligingly fell silent. In truth, Scatha was enjoying the adventure; she liked being outside, and being able to stretch her legs - especially after being on the ship. And anyway, she was used to moving quietly; avoiding the flesh eating savages and orcs at Brie had made that a necessity. Scatha simply moved as quietly and efficently as possible, eyes and ears and nose ready to pick up any new sight or sound or scent... Evan's whispered question came as a bit of a surprise, but Scatha tried to answer it as honestly as possible.

"Only rabbits on Dort, using snares," she whispered back. "I expect these elks are a bit too big for snares..."
Last edited by wyrdgirluk on Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post by Guest »

Walking light-footed, Arvana listens quietly and intently to her surroundings. In the distance, she can hear a small rabbit making it's way to them, knowing that once it sees or hears them, it would turn and run. Also, she can hear something a bit bigger rustling.

Hearing Evan ask about hunting, she doesnt respond for afew minutes, still intent on the rustling. When it stops, she turns to Evan and smiles. "Yes. I hunt with my Father. He great Hunter! But, only hunt to eat. Mostly rabbit."
Brynhild da`Waelkyrige

OOC: Good, looks like I didn't miss much so far -- I just started grad school last week and have been fairly busy. But I don't want to abandon this place -- it keeps me sane -- or would that be insane....:scrambleup:

Brynhild nodded at Scatha's remark. "They're far too large for snares indeed," she murmured, so as to be just heard. "But be wary -- in spite of their size, they can move so silently that you come upon them unawares." And, as if to guard against such a chance, she silently pulled an arrow from her quiver and nocked it, but did not draw. She would save her energy for when it was really needed.
Zhavon Mikhalrian

"Only rabbits?" Evan seemed somewhat surprised at that, as though this Dort place had to be so tiny that it could only support such small animals. His brow furrowed as he was obviously trying to ponder this over, but brightened at Arvana's question, smiling to the Adhiel. He lifted a hand and prodded gently at her arm.

"So that means you'll be a good hunter, too?" The Waelkyrige grinned and was promptly smacked on his own arm by his beloved sibling. Lirahn gave them a stern look to beseech their silence, though, it was clear that he was just playing.

They trucked on further into the woods without seeing or hearing anything. In fact, the mark trudged onwards and still there was no sign of the fabled elk. Perhaps even the two foreigners would start feeling as though the natives had only made up this large animals to entertain them. Just when it seemed as if one of the two men were about to say something, there was a rustle in the trees behind them. A dull snap of twigs cut through the air, announcing the presence of something large and shifting to the left.

Twisting about to see, each of them, slowly so not to startle themselves, they turned in the direction of the noise. Much to their disappointment, they saw nothing. The white drenched trees were as they were when they had first passed, pristine and the ground bore no signs of any recent disturbance.

Lirahn lifted a hand to his head and rubbed his hair, clearly very confused. "...odd..." he murmured, looking to Brynhild in puzzled query.
wyrdgirluk
Tazlure Supporter

Post by wyrdgirluk »

Scatha stiffened as she heard the rustle, and the snapping of twigs to her left; what was that? Mighty big for a rabbit... she readied her spear, and then looked in dismay at the haft, broken from when she'd tripped Evan over with it. It looked more like a knife on the end of a short broken stick, probably ideal for poking some one in the eye, or for impaling rabbits, but probably of limited value when stabbing an elk to death. She held it out helplessly to Lirahn, the noticed his puzzled expression... he's right. Something made those noises... so where is it? Scatha brought the spear close, holding its short haft like a long knife, and slowly turned, eyes and ears alert, scenting the air for anything...

Post by Guest »

Giving Evan a brief smile, Arvana also pauses at the noise. Slowly, she turns to the left. Knowing that she had heard something before, she figured that it must have been an elk. Seeing nothing, Arvana looks at Evan in confusion. "I thought I heard something, but where is it?" Her question this time is not really a question at all. The young Adhiel sees that she is not the only one confused. Not expecting an answer, she quietly asks if she can proceed to the area the noise was heard from.
Brynhild da`Waelkyrige

Brynhild spun on her heels at the sound, drawing her bow and aiming it in the direction it came from. But upon seeing no trace of any animal, large or small, she shot her cousins an inquisitive look. "That sounded like it could have been an elk," she said, in a whisper just loud enough for the assembled company to hear, "but I've never seen one pass by without leaving hoofprints."

She furrowed her brow in puzzlement. "Strange, very strange indeed," she muttered, half to herself, half to the others. Then she turned back to her cousins. "Any ideas?"
Zhavon Mikhalrian

"We did all hear it, right?" Evan had to ask again, as though just to confirm with the others that it had indeed been there, that it wasn't simply him making up this entire occurrence. He looked about and seemed to be somewhat reassured that the others were all in the same situation as he was, puzzled about what they had heard and what they could not see.

As for the other Waelkyrige, he stood there fore a burn or two longer, still running his fingers through his hair in confusion. Lirahn's attention shifted to Arvana, watching the Adhiel almost curiously before shrugging absently. "If you think you can find something, go ahead... I'll come with you..." Stoic as always, he slipped his back from his shoulders and set it at the feet of his brother. "We'll be right back..." If he was nervous, it certainly was heard in his voice or even seen in his face as he simply nodded and trudged off into the underbrush with Arvana.

Evan gave a weak, forced laughed, looking between the two women. He was valiantly attempting to play this all off as some poor joke of his, though, no one could believe it as such. "This isn't really normal, you know, Scatha... I mean, it's unnatural to not leave tracks..." Even as the words escaped his mouth, he seemed to regret them, having introduced some sort of deadly element into their midst.

The frosty brush gave way beneath the legs and movement of Arvana and Lirahn, the pair making far more noise than their phantom elk had ever. Dusty snow burst into the air in their wake, drifting carelessly to their tracks. More twigs snapped, branches bent to give way to the pair, some snapping, some did not.

The clearing in which they had all thought they had heard the elk stray from was empty, and as they had seen from the path, the ground was pristine and undisturbed. There was no sign of anything that could have made the noise they all had heard, the snow a blanket without mar for as far as they could see. Liharn gave a weak, strained chuckle and turned to the others, shaking his head.

"There's nothing over here..."

With his back turned, hands lifted to gesture his defeat, he missed the shadow that swept over the clearing. A great, thunderous crack was heard overhead as some, massive weight settled to a branch overhead and obviously snapped it in twain. Snow and tree branch came sailing down and landed a few feet before the two with a dull thump.
wyrdgirluk
Tazlure Supporter

Post by wyrdgirluk »

Scatha blinked as the strange shadow crossed over them, then her eyes snapped wide open as one of the thick branches above them snapped with the weight of someone - or something - settling in the trees. "It's above us, in the trees," she hissed, staring into the branches silhouetted against the sky, her broken spear held in readiness like a long knife...

Return to “Trothgard Archive”