A Calming on the Sea

Moderator: Mods

Post by Guest »

Alazias opened his eyes as he heard Sfeins voice, "It matters not Sfein", his weary voice replied, "As long as you've learned the dangers of what you have done, that is important".

He leaned down as Airedell came to, "Your alright Airedell, just take a moment to get your thoughts together".

Alazias was tired, the effort of the last few Marks, He looked at the time candle he had lit before they started, yes a few marks yet only seemed minutes we were there.

He looked at the two before him, they had gone through a lot, especially Sfein.

"It is late, we are all tired and we have had a close call tonight, you two go to your Cabins and rest until morning, Unless you have any questions"?

OOC: Now you may ask questions, and then/or leave to your respective cabins, or both to one cabin and talk or even to the deck.
Post HERE for any of that, then in the morning (when breakfast is brought around, you post back into the main thread. Note: that you may continue to post in this and the main thread, just do not time-knot yourselves.
And Thank you Sfein.
Last edited by Guest on Sat Sep 11, 2004 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

After being unexpectedly pitched forward Airedell found herself sprawled out on her belly. Her clothes were wet and her palms were throbbing. It was a flicker before she knew what happened. Surely, she had been sleeping but never had she awakened with such a lack of strength. Closing her eyes, flashes of a dream were recalled. She was running in the darkness... no... no it was a forest. Thats right. Then she was on the ground clawing her fingers into the mossy bed in order to resist the force that wanted to claim her. Then someone touched her and the last thing she saw was Sfein before everything dissolved into blackness once more. Such madness. It was strange.

Feeling a touch on her back she heard Alazias' voice over her asking her if she was alright. Why shouldn't she be? "Mmm hmm," she said.

With a little effort she rolled over onto her back. Slowly, the reality of the dream set in. That was no dream. Where was Sfein? Her eyes opened with reluctance and searched for him. It was a quick search. There he was very much alive. Beside her Alazias sat speaking of rest but still being the teacher. Questions?

"Why was he after me?" Airedell said before something else occurred to her. "Was I... were we really in his..." She let her voice trail off. She didn't know what they had been in. His mind? His story? Or had they actually traveled to an other realm?
Last edited by Guest on Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

Alazias frowned, "Thats not so easy to answer, Were we really there? Well yes and no. In spirit we were there, in reality our bodies were here".

He nodded towards Sfein, "Sfein here had created a world in his mind, a world so real, even he could not distinguish fact from fiction. The only way I could see of helping him was to get there myself, and also to help you, to stop you running".

He sighed, "unfortunately Demons live in all realities, and with Sfein thinking of such, he allowed one to enter. Now the place had a reality, a reality that meant we could be killed, die there, and our bodies would have died here".

The weariness showed as Alazias slumped lower, "I had to get you and I out, I had no strength left to fight a demon. Sfein had created the world, he was the only one who could destroy it and get himself out".

He gave a wry smile, "Thank the gods, he did do that, otherwise I think we would be looking at a corpse now".

He leaned back the tiredness and his age showing as he shut his eyes to rest.
Last edited by Guest on Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

"So that is what happened last night?" she said, looking at Sfein for confirmation. The concept of creating a reality of ones own was hard to wrap her mind around. It was new to her and the fact that she was tired wasn't helping it sink in but she clearly saw the need for the mind control. If he was going to be in those realities he would need to be able to control them.

Looking at Alazias in his wearied state and Sfein's sad face she couldn't help but feel for them. "Next time can we try just plain old singing lessons?" she suggested. "At least before one of these sessions?"

Post by Guest »

Sfein listened to Alazais' explanation.
Was that true? Could he, Sfein, create such a detailed world all on his own?
"No" said the voice in his head.
He shivered.
"I have become like an animal. Howling to the moon" was the Trothgarder's way of describing a human's mind becoming crazy.

"I wish... that what you say is true, Master. But... When I normally try to imagine something, and keep that image constant, like the image of a glistening pebble, it has to be quite... simple. And it would then be a considerable effort to keep the image constant. Like concentrating on something simple as your breath. It still takes effort. At least for me."
Here he was quiet for some moments.
"That forest was not a vague dream image. The amount of details was overwhelming, and they were constant. At least till that dog demon started to appear..." he thought. "Don't do that ever again!!"
He felt a panic rising.
"Was it truly something that only I created?" he whispered.

Airedelle said something, looked at him. If that was what had happened last night.
Was that the case?
"Part of it" was his answer. "There was much more going on. Between that Nobleman and his dark haired companion. And that big sailor was involved. It must be, as the last time they had been fighting."

Then the thought hit him with the power of a dwarvenhammer on an anvil.
"The Nobleman said that Isabel had 'some powers'!"
Was there any connection?

"A singing lesson would be fine" he muttered.

Post by Guest »

Alazias nodded at Sfeins words, "What you say is partially true, images are just images normally. However occasionally some have a power that can make those images become real, in their mind, and become part of what they imagine".

The weariness in his voice was obvious but he continued on. "If the person is skilled enough, they can control themselves, and keep out of that world, but look in enough to control it and build there story. However unskilled Persons can end up trapped, letting the images control them. That is what I believe almost happened to you".

"Whether that was a power you have or something that triggered it, I do not know. However I warn you now, do not go there again Sfien, not until you have learned discipline and Control".

He smiled, "and yes next time I think singing or poetry may be a better Idea".

Alazias felt the wash of fatigue flow over him " Now unless you have further questions that cannot wait, I am very tired with what I did earlier, I will explain further tomorrow. I suggest you go and get some sleep yourselves".

Post by Guest »

"I won't go there anymore" Sfein replied. "This was far too scary."
"If" het thought, "I have anything to say on that, what happens if I dream in my sleep and end up in... THERE!"
His heartbeat increased. He was scared.
And tired.
Did visiting this 'other' realm drain him?
That it was only his imagination, he did not believe any longer.

Alazais was the solution for the moment, the man seemed to know what he was talking about, and he might indeed learn him some sense of control.

"Yeah, I am tired too."
He looked at Airedelle.
Felt guilty, for her visiting that part of this 'dream-realm' that had become his nightmare.
Then he tried to hide his feelings with an innocent smile.
"Let's no longer burden our host with our presence" he said and stood up.
"I hope I have you a bit more often in my presence" he continued. "I seem to run in all sorts of trouble when you are not there."

Post by Guest »

Alazias looked at them both, "Well goodnight to you both, I'm sorry that it did not come out as I planend, but I hope we have all learned from it nevertheless. You can see yourselves out please"?

Alazias watched them go as they said thier goodnights and made ready for sleep himself, for although he did not let it be known to them, the efforts of the evening had taken it's toll quiet badly and he was close to collapse".

OOC:
Sfein, Airedell.
Please post your exit to teh room here, if you both want to continue talking (passageway or either of your rooms), then do so in THIS thread.
You may also post your waking to breakfast in the main thread if you wish.

Post by Guest »

With a nod Airedell got to her feet. Rubbing her damp hands on her dress, she felt water on water and decided she needed to change. As she looked down at her dress she heard something rolling about the room. The glass had been over turned. She picked it up and placed it on the table before going out the door. "Good night" she said to Alazais.

"Will you be going to bed straight away?" she asked Sfein when they were out in the corridor. She had no idea what tide it was but felt that it would be good if something else happened before sleep claimed them.

Post by Guest »

Sfein smiled to Airedelle, a kind of 'I am sorry for troubling you smile'. In his culture, women were not so forgiving to men when they thought something went wrong and the male had something to do with that.
"It would perhaps be wise to sleep" he said
"But I have not shown much wisdom lately."
"And I am scared" he thought, "scared that I would start dreaming. The wrong kind of dreams."
"Would you like to get some fresh air outside?" was his cautious offer of companionship.

Post by Guest »

"I would but I must change first. I'll meet you out there." Airedell smiled back at Sfein and turned to open the door to her room. The light was dim inside the cabin. She closed the door gently and went over to the bed. Grabbing her satchel underneath she scooped out her cloak, tunic and breeches. The dress was getting cold. Giving a shudder as the dress fell she dressed quickly. Putting the cloak on for good measure she walked out to find Sfein.

Post by Guest »

*Airedell and Sfein*

The sky was clear and the stars shone bright, this showed in the cold air, had they been on land no doubt a frost would have been forming.

The night-watch was on so very few people were about. Apart from the main deck where the helmsman was at the wheel, Airedell and Sfein could go almost anywhere on deck without being seen.

OOC: Remember not to time-knot yourselves - or Sfein really as Sfein has already posted in the main thread, having risen Early on the 17th. Airedell is yet to post There (and the thread's moved on) so she has to be getting up when the call about approaching Dort is received, so she should be ok.
Last edited by Guest on Fri Oct 08, 2004 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

He did not know what to say to her.
'Airedelle, would you please stay with me, as I am scared to sleep'...
No. She would perhaps think that he was saying that for another reason. And he would not dare to approach a woman.
So he said "Nice cool weather" instead.
And was quiet for a while.
"What did happen at Alazais room was... not meant to be. I mean, I honestly had no intention to do that. It simply happened, I lost control. It was scary. First of all the feeling that I was somehow walking in another place, and then you and Alazais appearing. It started as a little day dream during that meditation. And then... it became, so real.
How did he get you into that place anyway? Were you really there?"

Post by Guest »

The weather? After what just happened he wants to talk about the weather? Airedell grunted in agreement. He would talk about what happened soon enough. He didn't invite her out here to speak of the weather. Steading herself, she waited.

"I am not sure. I was trying to meditate but things kept coming up in my head. I was just trying to clear my mind and get away from them when all of a sudden I was in the forest. My hand still stings from falling."
She began to play back what had happened. Looking down at her palms was useless in the dark but she was not trying to see them. They had been hurting. Was it because she had fallen in the forest or in the cabin. Perhaps, the reason why she fell in the cabin was because she fell in the forest. Could that be right?

Post by Guest »

'Her hand still stung from falling? That was not from a fall out of a sitting position in a hut. At least not likely. Didn't I see her running in the haunted forest? So she really had been there...'
The forest.
For a moment he envisioned it, a tantalizing glimp of dark green..
"NO!"
Fool. Never try that again.
"So I'd hurt you" he whispered.

Post by Guest »

"No. You did nothing. The daemon pulled at me and I fell." If any thing she was glad that Sfein was there. Granted, it was his mind she was in. He would have helped her if Alazias had not gotten to her first. He was a warrior after all.

Why did I fall? Because I'm weaker? or lighter? Why did he pull me?
"Perhaps it was our presence that attracted the daemon. One has never entered one of your stories before, right?" she said.

The night wind filled the cloak, for a moment, puffing it out like a sail. It tugged at her, putting pressure on her neck. The weight was unpleasant. She grasped behind her for the edges and pulled the cloak tightly around her making sure that there was slack at the collar. What was that for? By the light! We don't need any more evil winds tonight, thank you.

OOC: Is the wind thing alright or am I taking liberties?
Last edited by Guest on Tue Oct 26, 2004 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

OOC: thats fine Airedell, you can have wind if you like :lol:

IC:
The night air grew colder as the wind flowed around the two of them. The sky was clear and the stars seemed to shine brighter.

The night watch had settled in now and apart from the wind and the odd creak of the ship all was silent.

Post by Guest »

Sfein had to think about that. The presence of the others had summoned that daemon?
"I don't know. No one has ever entered my stories I think. Another bard once told me that I had to 'live' the story. Be there myself, if I ever wanted to tell them in a very believable way. Each time when I tried, everything was getting more and more real.
But now I won't. It felt as if I was under a spell of something. Perhaps there was a magic user on board, or a magic artefact that somehow gave everything an extra push."
He ignored the wind, but noticed that Airedelle seemed to dislike the cold wind gusts. He smiled at her struggle. She did not look like any Waelkyrige at all, but she somehow felt like an older Clan sister.
Not that she even remotely behaved like the ruling gender of Trothgard.
"My cloak is inside, if you need it I can get it? I like this weather" he said.

Skilling

Post by Guest »

This Thread is skilled as follows...

Sfein
Detect Truth/Deception *
Story telling *
Swords *
NEW (all start at basic)
Creating Stories
Demon and Darkness Lore
Inner Calm
Resolve
Conversation

Airdell
Running*
NEW (all start at basic)
Demon and Darkness Lore
Conversation

Skills have been added by Dyfed, 13/11/04.

Post by Guest »

"I'm fine. My cloak got away from me that is all" Airedell said. "Perhaps you should try telling stories from another view point. Tell the pure facts without bringing any emotion into it. Not during a performance but in a conversation or alone, as practise. Maybe you could tell a story without entering the world your words create." Airedell smiled. That is your audiences job. "I don't know."

Post by Guest »

"That somehow won't be a real story" he answered.
"No Alazais is right, I simply must learn to control it. Suppose I could control it. You would smell the air, and hear and see all the sights and sounds that accompany the story."
Suddenly he smiled: "When I would say that the subject of our story would meet a beautiful slender girl that looks at him with her brown eyes with golden specks, you would 'see' and believe...
Just for the duration of the story you could give them an escape from their cold and misery."
"At least that was my dream."
He added those last words in a whisper.
"And now I am afraid to sleep, because I might never awake" he thought. "And I do not have the courage to tell her."

Post by Guest »

The thought was kind but she was too tired to deal with flattery. She brushed it aside. "Its a beautiful dream. Don't let go of it just yet. You are a skilled storyteller. It won't be long until you are as skilled at controlling the stories as you are at weaving them."

Airedell looked at Sfein to see if what she said made a dint in his worries.
Last edited by Guest on Sun Jan 16, 2005 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

"Assuming that I do not kill myself in my sleep" he muttered, more to himself than to Airedell.
He had said it before he realized that he just had uttered his deepest fear. Did she hear what he just said?

Post by Guest »

"Oh" said Airedell. That would explain it.

She searched her mind to think of anything she knew of that would fend off killer dreams. Nothing came to mind. She had never been in a situation when it was even a concern. "I don't think I can help but perhaps Alazais can. He knows a bit about herbs. Do you want to go see?"

Post by Guest »

"No. He did sent us away, and probably wants to sleep" was his reply.
'You do not bother your leader.'
Well, she now knew his fear.
"Would you keep an eye on me tonight?" he asked. "Wake me up or get help when you think I am no more in a normal sleep or when strange things start to happen?"

Return to “On the Water Archive”