The sword and the pen - Galliban Tyren

Moderator: Mods

Galliban Tyren
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Galliban Tyren »

OOC: Alright, I'll just pick up where the other thread left off.

IC: Galliban hurried back to the temple at Thean's request. She went directly to Helen's quarters, assuming that she would be the one to ask about her training. She knocked on her mentor's door thrice, hoping that she was in.
"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear."- Mark Twain
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

"Enter!" yelled Helen. Her worried face cleared up as she saw Galliban enter. "Aha, my favorite -if only- disciple. Did Thean dismiss you of duty already? Al the better, for we have work to do, gal. Ybale has asked us to cut two hours of sleep out of every day program. All over the world, our paladins and priests are needed, so we have to speed up training, how much we resent hurrying up in the training of our pupils. Normally, we never hold the Ceremony of the Sword before our pupils have been under tutorship for at least a moon cycle, but we have been asked to speed things up.

So tell me, Galliban, how was your day? More specifically, how does that chain armor feel to your shoulders? You see, I'd like to figure out what kind of weaponry and armor we are going to train you in. Standard for our paladins is full plate armor, but there are more than a few exceptions. After all, such a bulky suit is nothing but an ego boost and a disadvantage in combat if you can't move in it. A chain armor allows much more flexibility, and demands less of your balance. As you learned the hard way, sword fighting is mostly about dodging, speed and balance, and all these things become very difficult with a plate.

Same goes for swords. A double handed broadsword can slay an ogre with a single, well-placed blow, but it requires so much strength and center awareness that most people you'll ever see with it are nothing but braggers you can easily defeat with a shorter model. What do you think yourself, before we start trying things out? Do you think you have any personal preferences already? come, tell me, while we stroll to the armory."
Verum et factum convertuntur.
Avatar by the Artist Currently Known as Eira.
Galliban Tyren
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Galliban Tyren »

Galliban entered the room upon obtaining Helen's rather loud permission. She closed the door behind her and stood in silence as she listened to her mentor. The half-elf seemed to be doing a lot of listening that day. She did not mind, of course. It was always better to keep quit and listen instead of simply waiting for one's turn to speak. That was Galliban's theory, at least.

"I think that I could perhaps adjust to something heavier than this chain armor, if the armor was well made. As for my weapon, I am not sure with which I would be more comfortable. While it is true enough, I suppose, that a two-handed sword would be more powerful, a one-handed sword would allow for the use of a shield. There is also the possibility of eventually learning to wield two one-handed swords simultaneously," she replied in her native tongue. It was clear that she had put a litte thought into the matter. "I was rather hoping that you would aid me in this decision, ma'am." she finished.
"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear."- Mark Twain
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

"Of course I will help you! That's what I'm here for in the first place." The armory wasn't far from Helen's chambers, and that was most likely not a coincidence. It was a huge hall, and the walls were lined with weapons of all kinds, though mostly swords. Near the wall were three rows of wooden men, displaying shimmering armors of mail and plate.

"Nearly all these tools are heirlooms. A paladin's weaponry belongs to the order, and after he or she dies, the order claims it back if possible. These weapons are not merely of superior quality, many of us consider them as life long friends. I'm afraid you can hardly try them all, so we have to trust fate and Lumi's guidance."

It made sense, for there were about two hundred fine armors in the room, and maybe twice as many swords, of various sizes and models. There were plain and ornamented models; sturdy looking and refined ones; colors of brass, steel, iron, gold; long edges, short edges, everything in between; models with helmet, coif and chain skirt, models without them; the variation was sheer endless.

"Just walk around and have a look. You may choose... let's say five armors. Pay attention to your first impression. Many of them won't be adjustable to your size, so the choice should become easier. Look for plate, we'll give it a go. choosing swords, we will do later."

OOC: Just describe the kind of armor you think Galliban should be wearing as a paladin of Lumi. I'm sure he'll have something put aside for you. :wink: Feel free to describe associations and descriptions of what qualities they should radiate, apart from the actual description of the perfect armor.
Galliban Tyren
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Galliban Tyren »

Galliban followed Helen to the armory. When they arrived, she was amazed at the display of shimmering weapons and armor. She had never seen such a collection in her life. The only other time she had seen anything near to such a collection was during her childhood, when she visited her father's store. He had been one of the most skilled armorers in Dort in his later days, after he expanded his blacksmithing business.

When Helen finished speaking, Galliban nodded in acknowledgement and started to look at the armors. She did not know much of anything about metalwork, so she would indeed have to trust her "first impression". She looked for something sturdy, but something that looked light enough as to not impede her movement too severely. She looked for the armors made of the shiniest metal, as this was a sign of quality crafting. Of course, she was limited by her size. Though she was not short, and she would indeed be tall for even a human woman, she wasn't very broad. Most of the armors had likely been made for men of the robust variety.

It took her a few burns to specify five suits of armor, but the task was eventually accomplished.
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

Helen followed her closely, and nodded or hummed at every armor she pointed out. "In that case, I suggest you try this one." She walked over to the first armor Galliban had selected. "It will fit. Its last user was Leyle Barwith, one of the few females to have had the title 'Prism of Illuminatus'." The armor was one of the shiniest in the room, the steel almost looking like polished silver. The shoulder pieces, as well as the coverage of the upper arm were tastefully decorated, but otherwise it was a very sober model.

"The plates are thin, yet strong. It is an armor that would allow maximal flexibility. Leyle practiced the double sword style, a very demanding one. There are matching swords." Helen went to grab a little ladder and took two swords from the wall. They were even more sober in design than the armor. If it hadn't been for that same bright reflection, they would almost have looked... ordinary.

"Do not let the look of these weapons deceive you. They are of excellent craftsmanship. Their balance is as good as perfect. The question is however whether double sword style is anything for you. Women do seem to have more talent for it, in my experience. Have a seat here, so we can find out."

Helen gave her a sheet of paper and a piece of charcoal. "I'd like you to write your name with the hand you normally write with. You can write, can't you? At the same time, make circles with the foot that is on the same side of your body. Let's see how difficult you find that."
Galliban Tyren
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Galliban Tyren »

Galliban listened intently to Helen's comments on the first suit of armor. She thought that the structure of the armor would benefit her by allowing her to remain protected while still being able to take advantage of her natural agility.

Galliban sat down at Helen's request and took the paper and charcoal in hand. The task Helen had explained seemed like something easier said than done. However, Galliban was better coordinated than most. She touched the charcoal to the paper and started to move her foot in a circle as she began to write her name.
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

"Well, ok, it strikes me as quite readable. Fighting with two blades requires the ability to split up your mind. And few are suited for such mental tasks, especially men. But it looks like you might be one of the few destined to master the style. So I guess we'll try to train you in the armor of Leyle Barwith then. If your choice is a sign at all, it is a good omen."

"I shall spend my afternoon adjusting, customizing and preparing this weaponry then. If I am not mistaking, there are two classes you could follow right now. You could either go to master Damrod for training in meditation and energy perception, or you could go to our Hand of Solace, Callindra, for healing -always a useful skill for a paladin- and inner sight. That is, of course, until Thean calls you back to his service, but I don't think that will be for today. I'd like to train with you in person tonight. The priestess of the Red Warrior is coming, so we could train some tactics and learn you the basic principles of double blade. Does that sound ok to you, Galliban?"
Galliban Tyren
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Galliban Tyren »

Galliban appeared thoughtful for a moment. Since all of her training would be completed in due time, she did not think it mattered which class she took first. However, she had had a rather exciting day, and she thought that a little meditation would do her good.

"I think that I shall visit Master Damrod first. Where is he located?" Galliban said to Helen.
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

"Follow me, my student, I shall guide you. It is better if I introduce you properly." Helen put down the steel. "Master Damrod it is then. He should be in the meditation room."

Helen took Galliban to the top floor of the building, three stories above the garden. "Three is for obvious reasons a special number in our order. Lumi was the third god, and for that reason the highest in rank have residence on the top floor. The meditation chamber is there for completely other reason, though."

The sight was stunning. The chamber wasn't even that big, but the enormous crystal cupola made the room look like it was up in the clouds. An uncountable number of triangular windows was held tight in a frame that had the color of silver. It was very obvious that the construction of it had not only taken a lot of money, but also perhaps a yahr's work if ten artisans had worked on it without taking any other jobs. More likely, it had been a slow process. The triangles looked like facets of a huge gem. One of the walls, giving on the east, was also entirely made out of glass.

despite the bright sunlight, the temperature in the room was very nice and cool. Yet there was no wind tunnel system visible. There were three rows of nine big, light colored wooden benches. There were nine little round pillows on each bench, but only five were currently occupied. The rest of the room was sober; natural colors were the only used. Of course it would have been silly to try to highlight anything else but the roof of glass. There was no bigger contrast imaginable than the one between this room and the temple that was used for services on the bottom floor.

The room was totally silent, and there was a subtle smell of incense burning.
The five novices were still in meditation, their eyes closed. The firmly built bald man seated in front of them, stood up and approached them. "Helo Helen. I suppose -Gail, was it?- is coming to take class here?" He didn't bother to whisper, yet the novices didn't seem disrupted.

"Have you any knowledge about the subject of Meditation, Energy Perception or Manipulation of Energy? I'd like to put you with these students, since they're all to be paladins, and I give them a different training than those that train for priest. But they're not really beginners, so if you are, I shall have to arrange something different for you. We will still do some mediation today, but we're already starting with Energy Manipulation later. If you don't know how to meditate, it wouldn't make sense to have a go at that yet."
Galliban Tyren
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Galliban Tyren »

Galliban followed behind Helen as they walked to the top floor of the building. She found what she said about the number three to be quite interesting.

Galliban was careful to be quiet as they enetered the meditation room. She did not wish to disturb the novices in meditation. She still remained silent when Master Damrod introduced himself.

"Galliban, actually," she said after Damrod finished his first sentence. She did not blame him for getting her name wrong. It was an ancestral of her father's family. She did not know exactly what it meant, as its meaning had been lost generations before. "I cannot say that I know much about any of those subjects, only what I have been told in the past by the priests I associated with in my youth." she replied after Damrod asked after her own knowledge.
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

OOC: I'll be in Southern France next week, so posting rates might drop a bit...

"Aha, excuse me for that little mistake, Galliban. Hmm... sounds like we'll have to find out first what you're capable of. Very well, I shall make time for you right now."

"Class! Class!" The novices awoke from their meditative state. "You may take a break now, or continue your practice in your chambers. We shall resume our lesson in two marks. Thank you, Helen. I shall take over from here." Helen gave Damrod a friendly wink and left the room together with the novices.

"Galliban, have a seat." As soon as Galliban sat down, Damrod started moving his hands around Galliban, at about thirty centimeters of her body, but following the anatomical shape of her body nonetheless. He hummed and sniffed every know and then, and kept doing this for quite a while. Then he took place on his teacher's spot again, after putting some more incense in the burner.

"Try to relax and breath deep and regular. Once you feel calmed down, try to let all thoughts pass by without clinging to them. Do not attempt not to think, but let everything flow through you as were you an exterior observant."
Last edited by Finodborn on Sat Jul 31, 2004 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Galliban Tyren
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Galliban Tyren »

Galliban took a seat and remained still for the most part as Damrod moved his hands around her. She wasn't exactly sure what he was doing, but she figured that he knew what he was doing.

Galliban watched Damrod as he put more incense in the burner and returned to his spot. She followed his instructions and closed her eyes as she started to calm herself. She breathed deeply and did not attempt to block her thoughts. She simply let them be and flow freely through her mind. She had never been a laid-back person, but she tried to relax. She realized that her muscles were tense, as they had a way of constantly being so. With another deep breath, she relaxed her body. Her shoulders dropped and her muscles became looser.

OOC: No problem, enjoy your vacation. :)
Last edited by Galliban Tyren on Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

"Right. I see you have at least some experience in relaxation" said the calm voice of Damrod. Now try to look into yourself. Try to find your inner core. It might be a smell, or a sound. Perhaps a little orb. Try to find it and describe it to me.

Once you have found it, feel how Illuminatus -by whom you have been chosen- supports you with the pureness of his light. Become aware of that power that is always with you and will be your strength. It can cure you when you're ill, or give you energy when you're tired. Think back to when you saw him when you were in the pool. Can you sense it, Galliban?"
Galliban Tyren
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Galliban Tyren »

Galliban nodded slowly to Damrod with no accompanying word. She did not know exactly what she was looking for but she suspected that by the time she did know, she would have found it.

Galliban tried to relax as much as possible as she began to look into herself. She wasn't sure what she was supposed to do. All she had to go on were the words of Damrod and her own instincts. Her breathing became rhythmic and slower as the burns wore on. After about five burns, a picture began to form in Galliban's mind. At first, it was just a simple silhouette. It then began to glow with white light and the silhouette became more and more detailed. It took only a few flickers to see the object for what it was.

"It is a brilliant white flame. It burns with great fervor and as brightly as the sun," Galliban said with a definite sense of wonder in her voice. She remembered what Damrod said about Illuminatus supporting her with the purity of His light. She thought back to their meeting in the pool and remembered the light that had filled her. She remembered when their meeting was over and how she felt the light being taken from her body. She had known that that light had been the presence of Illuminatus, but only now did she realize that not all of the light had left her. Illuminatus had left some of His light within Galliban, changing her forever. "I can sense it. It is the Light One's gift to me, it is His blessing. He has strengthened me through the purity of His light." she said in the same tone of voice she had used before.
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

"It is wonderful that you find it so easily! You advance fast, very fast for a beginner..." The man paused.
"Feeling it inside you is one thing. The next step is to move it outside yourself. Which is, believe it or not, the subject of my class with the others today. I believe you are up to the task, yes. You may open your eyes."

The sun had moved a great distance above the crystal sealing. At least one and a half mark had passed. Yet both Galliban's mind and her body were very fit now. Even more fit than after a night of sleep. Her muscles were purified and stronger than ever before. Her mind was fresh, as if it'd been washed out by a mountain stream. Energy flew through her veins like never before.

Damrod smiled. "You should feel well now. Meditation can strengthen you for the most dauntless task. Just wait here, while I fetch the others. We shall continue the lesson together."
Not much later, Damrod arrived back with the other acolytes. After all were seated, he resumed his class: "As I was telling Galliban, the next step is moving it outside. To learn you this, I have brought this. The man showed them some kind of silver bird cage. In it were several... things.

"They are implings, and don't worry, there's one for every one of you" the man chuckled. "They are young, and even when full-grown, they're not powerful. Yet they're evil, and their soul is dark. The exercise will go as follows. I shall take you to the cellar one by one, where there is a tiny room, which has affectionately received the name "the cot" over the years. You shall get in there, together with your little leather-winged friend. It will be completely dark there, and your hands shall be bound behind your back.

The goal of the exercise is threefold: firstly, on a very basal level it is a test of your calm and self control. Furthermore, you shall have to find it in the dark. There is no way of explaining this; you should be able to sense the tainted soul when you are very well centered. Last but not least, after you feel your self bolstered by the power of Lumi, and you feel the presence of our little daemonlings, you shall push them away with the Light. Yes, push them away, because they have the tendency to bite." The man apparently had a lot of sympathy for these implings.

"I know my methods are rather reliant on instinct, but I have found that the best way to teach. There is no real danger involved, if necessary you can eventually crush your companion under your body weight. For that reason, I shall not come to your aid should you scream. You will encounter much more frightening situations in the future, and there will be nobody to help you then either. So, any questions then? I guess not. Any volunteers to go first? The rest of you can continue your meditation."
Galliban Tyren
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Galliban Tyren »

A small bit of pride flickered within Galliban in response to Damrod's praise. Her pride was not so much fed by the fact that she was apparently a fast learner, but that the experience reinforced her feeling that she might just prove herself worthy of Lumi's blessing yet.

When Galliban opened her eyes, she realized how strong and refreshed she felt. She also realized that much more time had passed than she had thought to have passed. She listened to Damrod speak again, then waited as the other acolytes filed back into the room and took their seats. She payed close attention when Damrod showed them silver cage with the implings contained inside and explained the exercise that the students were about to undertake, then ask for a volunteer.

"I will go first, if there are no objections." Galliban said after she had contemplated the task for a moment. She wasn't sure exactly why she volunteered. She just hoped that her eagerness would not be misinterpreted as arrogance.
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

The other students didn't seem all to eager to begin, so Damrod agreed on Galliban's volunteering. "Follow me then."

Even the dark basements of the temple had a certain charm about them. Their design was very much like the ground floor, with arches as far as the eye could see. The lighting was scarcer here, there were only a couple of oil lamps that emitted a small bit of light.

"Here it is," said Damrod. The door of The Cot wasn't anything special. plain wood with a plain nob. The inside was very smelly though, and the little room of only about two square meters was totally dark. "Have a seat, Galliban. I suppose you know more or less what to do."As soon as Galliban was seated, he took one of the implings in his big hands, threw it into the cot and closed the door quickly.

The foul creature immediately started squeaking like a newly born pig, and within flickers it was bumping into Galliban's head, chaotically flying around the small room. After a burn or two, it started biting too. The bites weren't really painful, but they caused her to bleed nonetheless.
Galliban Tyren
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Galliban Tyren »

Galliban followed Damrod through the temple basements. She didn't take much notice of her surroundings, as her mind was focused on the task at hand. When they arrived at their destination, Galliban entered the room slowly. She did not know what the smell was, but it was certainly powerful. She took a seat as Damrod instructed and remained silent as he bound her hands behind her back, threw one of the implings onto the cot, and left the room.

Galliban closed her eyes and tried to concentrate and relax. Between the squealing and the stench lingering in the room, it was rather difficult to do so. She remembered her session with Damrod, and how she succeeded because she had trusted her instincts. She tried to ignore the impling as it bumped into her head and started biting. She dropped her head so her face was not exposed to the creature, then took a deep breath.

Galliban tried to look into herself as she had done before, to find her core. Now that she knew what she was looking for, it was easier to find. When she found it, she proceeded as she had before. She felt how Illuminatus' light lived also within her by His blessing. Next, she brought her mind back to their meeting in the pool. She recalled the feeling of Lumi's light, its purity and strength. Galliban reached out mentally into the room and tried to sense the darkness of the impling's soul. The darkness would likely feel the opposite of Lumi's light, and that was what she was seeking.
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

Surprisingly, the impling's physical presence hindered her to feel it the other way. After a while, the itching of her face became less aggressive. It evolved into a more constant, nagging pain.

This allowed her to concentrate better on the mystical task at hand. Reaching out into the room failed time after time, as her senses dwelled in the dark. But as her centering became firm, and her attempts stronger, she managed to find it in the end.

As the Light -almost the fire- of Lumi grew stronger in her, she started to emit it. It was not physical light, though if somebody else had been present in the room, he or she might have noticed a glow around her. Galliban didn't need her eyes, however, to see the bundles of divine energy she spread through the room.

They lit the entire cot, even the smallest joints in the corners of the room. There was a small thing that hindered the rays, an it was very near. The Light didn't seem to penetrate it, so where the impling was, the darkness remained.
Last edited by Finodborn on Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Galliban Tyren
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Galliban Tyren »

Galliban managed not to frustrate herself when her continued attempts failed. She had a sense that she was on the right path, and that she simply needed to tread farther down it. Indeed. her patience did eventually pay off.

Galliban felt the small, dark presence in the room, and she instinctively wanted it gone. It almost pained her to see it amongst the divine light filling the room, a glaring flaw in an otherwise perfect atmosphere. She began to focus her attention on the impling. She remembered what Damrod had said about bringing the power of her core outside herself. She remembered also what he had said about pushing them away with the Light. She prayed in silence for the power she would need.

Illuminatus, God of Light, hear my prayer. I humbly ask that You bolster me with Your divine power so that I may complete my task. I ask also that You endow me with with Your divine wisdom so that I may learn from my experiences and therefore better serve You. I seek to extinguish this evil in Your most holy name and take this darkness from Your presence.

Galliban started to concentrate on her core again, searching for Lumi's power.
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

And power wasn't hard to find: it was blazing inside her like a ball of bolt lightning, and strangely she was quite in control of this force, for it did not consume her, even hurt her, it was merely at her disposal.

It stretched out to her finger tips, her ear lobes, her hair and her toe nails. It soaked her more than her own life blood. Yet it didn't make the thing go away.
Galliban Tyren
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Galliban Tyren »

Galliban breathed deeply as she felt the power coursing through her. The energy did not feel at all foriegn. It felt natural, like a perfectly shaped puzzle piece, yet it felt powerful beyond the capability of a mortal. She knew that the power was more than sufficient for pushing away the impling.

Galliban had only one thing left to do. It was finally time to finish the task. She still had no other choice but to keep trusting her instincts, as she had no experience in this area. She began attempted to draw the power from her and bring it outside of her body. She did not try to force it out, she simply tried to let it flow from her. She continued to concentrate on the impling as she did so.
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

Like fog out of a moist bog, the power indeed flowed out of her. The impling resisted, however, and though Galliban felt she was pushing it, it managed to stay put nonetheless, as if her effort wasn't really forceful enough.

The tendrils of power stroked the little vicious beast, and the mist strands of light hurt the being alright, but they did not prove concentrated enough to actually get rid of it or damage it a lot.
Galliban Tyren
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Galliban Tyren »

Galliban saw that the light did indeed have some effect on the impling, but she knew that it wasn't enough. She realized that her efforts were too passive. Galliban returned to her core and focused harder on the power that eminated from it. She saw every flicker of flame that burned within her, and fed even more of her energy into her core.

Galliban concentrated further on the impling. She could not simply let the energy float around her target. She would have to attack it. When she felt that she had gathered enough power, she let it out of her body in one furious attempt. Galliban's not oft-seen passion became present in all its fervor. She would not stop until the impling's dark soul was destroyed.

Return to “Oracle's Isle archives (old)”