The Gilded Gates (Entrance Thread)

Moderator: Mods

Alec D'Marchaut

Post by Alec D'Marchaut »

Alec reddened at the halfling's reproach, and mutedly signed the register. His outburst had been foolish, but seeing the city of Roque d'Ancourt and its gilded gates made Alec feel that he was in one his tales, and his mind was bubbling over with rapture. He exhaled slowly, trying to moor his wits back down to earth.

"Fine day to you both." Alec smiled amiably at the guardsman greeting, "And and good day to you too sir. May the One guide your path."

He wrinkled his forehead as he considered the floundering halfling and his ink-stained hands. His father had told him, If you do not make allies, you have made only enemies. So it was that in the spirit of these words he genuflected gracefully to the diminutive man and said, "I humbly beg your pardon, Master Halfling, I meant no offense. My name is Alec du Marchaut. Since I see you are in the direction of the Dog's Home, allow me to accompany you there. I have business with the town watch, but my throat is dry from the journey, and I perhaps I can make up to you my blunder with a cup of ale and an amusing tale." Alec smiled, stroking his short beard with his gloved hand, "So, Master Halfling, do we have a deal? You spill the ink, and I'll spill the wine."
Frank Fountainwater

Post by Frank Fountainwater »

After the guard spoke his words, Frank thanked him. He turned to Alec as the human spoke to him. The deal of him spilling the ink over the guards and Alec spilling wine over him seemed very appealing to the halfling. He wasn’t so rude after all, it seemed.

“Apologies accepted, Master Du Marchaut, I will gladly take your offer and go with you to the inn. My name is Frank Foutainwater. I’m longing for some good wine myself and am always interested in a amusing tale. But I have a little problem. Maybe you can help me out.” Frank smiled his most innocent smile.

Frank walked around the cart and pulled his heavy chest out. “Perhaps you want to help me carry my belongings? As you can see, I’m only small and cannot carry that much. And you are big and strong. And then my father can go homeward. He has a lot of work to do at home.”

With a thud the chest fell on the ground. Fortunately, it missed Frank’s toes with a hair breadth. “Perhaps the lady wants to join us? The gallant gentleman picks up the bill.” The chubby halfling smiled at Selune, hoping she would come with them.
Alec D'Marchaut

Post by Alec D'Marchaut »

Alec got to his feet, sweeping his cloak around behind him, and laughing musically, "Master Halfling! You are quite the rogue, inviting young maidens to share your wine!" Alec tossed his head toward Selune, his blond hair falling across his face, "The request was not mine, but I stand by it. Will you join us? I must warn you, though; Hold on to your virtue, my lady, our dear friend here has taken a fancy to you."

With that, Alec swept down and heaved the halfling's chest, taking it under one arm and walking through the shimmering gates. A few feet away he called out with a smile, "Come! I may be your packhorse, Master Halfling, but I am willful!"
Selune

Post by Selune »

Selune shook herself from her reverie; she was daydreaming again, this time in public! Her cheeks reddened a little as she realized that the guards and the two travellers ahead of her were talking to her. "I'm sorry, I drifted off a bit," she apologized. "My name is Selune, and I've come to the city to . . . to make something of myself." There, I said it, she thought to herself. I'm sure in the city there are many people trying to do the same. There's no shame in wanting more for yourself.<p>
She followed the cloaked man and the halfling. Turning to the halfling, she smiled. "I'm sure the gentleman had budgeted only for your wine, sir, as t'was you he invited. I will come, though, for I am new here too, and friendly company is always something to be treasured. Perhaps we should find some lodging of sorts, first, for I am weary from travel; I have walked a number of days to reach these gates."
Azric

Post by Azric »

"Very well, miss," the first guard smiled and handed her a quill. "If you'll just sign 'ere, please, we can send you off with yer friends."

"Err...." he cleared his throat, "Ever been 'ere afore? If ye need directions or advice, miss, I'm only too glad t'help."
Selune

Post by Selune »

She took the quill, writing "Selune" down where the guard indicated. "Thank you, kind sir. As a matter of fact, do you know where a person might find . . . well . . . inexpensive yet secure lodging? I need a place to stay, and I need a job. Is there some sort of herbalist, doctor, or librarian around whom I could talk to?" She returned the quill to the guard and hoped her two newfound companions would wait a bit.
Frank Fountainwater

Waving a last farewell to his father, Frank quickly followed the man carrying his chest. He noticed that the girl was held up by the guards and elbowed Alec. “Wait a flicker, Master Alec. The pretty girl wants to join us.” He called out to Selune. “Take your time, milady. We’ll wait for a moment.”

He put his hands in his pockets and found, much to his surprise, a carrot. Slowly he nibbled at the orange vegetable, waiting for Selune to finish her business.
Azric

Post by Azric »

"Aye, we've a library," the guard replied hesitantly. His tone suggested that it wasn't a place he often frequented. "La Libram Excellence, or sumtin' like that."

"But if its herbalists yer after ye should go see Gallic Mordelo," he added, apparantly surer of himself on this score. "Mordelo's Natural Magic, Roque's finest to be sure. S'On the north end o' the Bazaar. Can't miss it."

He checked Selune's signature quickly and initialed beside it. "Lodging's hard t'come by these days. What with all the troubles in the Kingdom, most folk are lookin' fer refuge behind the walls," he pointed at the large stone fortifications which ringed the town. "The Freely Poured's always got sumtin' cheap, but, err....s'not what ye might call 'secure'. Y'Might try the Dog's Home. Most folk like it there."
Selune

Post by Selune »

Selune smiled at the guards. "Thank you kindly, good sirs, for your help. Perhaps we shall meet behind the walls someday." She quickened her pace and fell in step beside the halfling. "I'm sorry to keep you waiting," she apologized. "Shall we go?"
Frank Fountainwater

“Don’t worry about it,” Frank told the girl walking next to him. “I’m going to book a room in The Dog’s Home. Perhaps you could book there too. I didn’t know I would be making friends that quickly.”

He nodded to the man walking with large strides in front of them. He had to half-run to keep up with him. “He wants to be with the city guards. I have a lot safer job in mind. I’m going to apply for a kitchen job at the Souived Estate. What would you like to be?”

He called out to Alec: “Hey, Master Alec! Slow down a bit! I’m just a little man and my legs will wear out quickly with this pace.” He laughed out loud to indicate that he wasn’t angry. In fact he felt very good. He made friends, they’re going to have a drink together, he could smoke a pipe having a good conversation with a jovial man and a beautiful lady. What more could a halfling want? I just hope I don’t do anything foolish or clumsy in front of them. I made a good show spilling the ink. Great first impression, Frank, he scolded himself.

They soon saw the sign of The Dog’s Home. He turned to Selune again. “Don’t worry about the budget, we’ll share the costs, okay? I have some money too.”
Selune

Post by Selune »

She smiled at the halfling. "Aye, that would be very agreeable with me, good sir. I'm looking for a job, but I can't cook, and I'm not interested in serving a nobleman. I'll be going to the library the guard mentioned, and perhaps there I can find me a job."

OOC: Okay, we're all moving to the Dog's Home, right? :) *stops watching this thread*

Return to “Roque d'Ancourt Archive”