Cave Entrance (for those not starting within Gulanadur)

Moderators: Tristam, Mods

Maeve
The Dragon & Game Designer

Cave Entrance (for those not starting within Gulanadur)

Post by Maeve »

From outside Pan's Isle, a vast cave opening can be seen. Centaurs keep a watchful over the opening as if death itself would spring forth from it. It is through this opening that one finds themself in the City Kingdom Of Gulanadur.

Once passing through entrace, darkness consumes you for a few flickers until you are met, by the sight of The Spire, a gaint crag of rock which protrudes from valley like cave before you.

Stepping into Gulanadur, to what is commonly called the upper-tier, a Dark Knight steps in front of you.

"May I know your business?" He says this in many tounges to make sure that you understand
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

This thread is being claimed for the Modding seminar. Please welcome Brionna :)
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]
Rayon Gurlow

Post by Rayon Gurlow »

OOC
Hey! It's good to see I'm not the only newbie aroud!

IC
Rayon Gurlow eyed the Centaurs suspiciously. Throwing his thick, brown hair over his shoulder he decided that arrogance was the best way to go. As such he pretended to ignore the big creatures and simply walked on through the entrance, holding his bags with goods close. He did not want to loose his valuables before he got a chance to trade!

The darkness hit him hard and he blinked. The next moment he could see again and marvelled at the Spire. "Maybe I can chip a few pieces off and sell them as good luck talismans..." He mumbled to himself, continuing on his way.

Then th eDark Knight appeared and he took a step back, awed by the sight. Yet the words spoken were strangely comforting. This guardian only wanted to know about his business! And business he had. "I am Rayon Gurlow, fastest tongue of the North-by-Northwest!" He proclaimed. "I am here to seek the merchanthouses of Gulanudar and to do business with them. Thank you for asking!"

Saluting the impressive Dark Knight he went on his way to explore the new possibilities of trading in this interesting place. On the road he looked to the left and right to get a good idea about this new area. It would not hurt to know how to get away fast if things got tricky. Searching for someone to give him directions he spoke to the first living being he encountered: "Pardon me, would you direct me to the Merchant's district?"

OOC
I just want to ask where I should go next? Do i have to start a new thread or can I just walk into one that already exists? ANd I have a small question about the timestamps. I have tried to read up on it, but I'm not sure if I am supposed to do that myself or if my moderator has to do that. But I will gladly accept your help.
I really like how this game looks. It has a great website and lots of information. If you want to see antoher good game I play in I would recommend [name removed]. It's in the future somewhat so that you don't get stuck with the same old heroes that have been chewed out by the movies by now. I think it's really much like here with a lot of care for the players.
Thanks again!

Edited by Brionna to remove link and name.
Last edited by Rayon Gurlow on Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rayon Gurlow

Post by Rayon Gurlow »

OOC
sorry, did I have to post somewhere else to warn you that I was starting? I posted yesterday, but I have not received an answer yet.
Let me know plz, I really want to get started.
Brionna Galenn

Post by Brionna Galenn »

OOC: No, the fault was mine. I've sent you a PM. Welcome aboard and sorry for the delay. :)

IC:

The centaurs watched silently as Rayon made his way to the cavern entrance, but they made no move to stop him.

The Dark Knight who met him just inside the entrance listened to his response and nodded, but put out an arm to block the passage as the young man tried to stride past. Using the same language Rayon had spoken, he replied, "Not so fast, sir. I need to ask you a few questions first, and there are likely to be some you wish to ask me. The main things I need to know is what sort of goods you are bringing with you to trade, how long you intend to stay, and if this is a private venture or has the backing of any large faction or government."

He stood in the passageway now, appearing as if he were prepared to wait all day for a response.
Rayon Gurlow

Post by Rayon Gurlow »

Rayon Gurlow quirked an eyebrow. Was this Knight actually talking back? Somehow he had not expected it, looking at it as a kind of archaic form of welcome. He shrugged and answered: "Costly baubles and daunting draperies, sir Knight. I carry those aspects that make your life shine a little bit more than that of your neighbour. As for how long i intend to stay? That depends on what your merchants will have to say. I intend on dealing with them and getting them interested to hire me. I am but alone, a traveller on the roads of insecurity..."

It was obvious the Knight was not gonan let him go before he was satisfied. So he just stood there, waiting for the answer and preparign himself to be sent back to where he came from.

"Mabye you are interested in seeing some of my goodies?" He offered.

Post by Guest »

Gulanadar. Finally at home. Many yahrens had passed since Gaeden Calmcacil had wandered through these portals, but those days were with a different elf. He had changed so much since the departure. The journey back to his homelands had been long and burdensome and even disgusting; the nauseating rolling of the ship and the maggotfilled crackers. During the initial days onboard the Seabird his stomach had not rested for a moment and although he slowly accepted the rolling he would rather walk on land, much rather walk on land. The dark soil beneath his sandals were a comfort, and Gaeden would cherish his return forever.

The centaurs outside the ominous cave were watchful statues. Their eyes closely followed the newly arrived and surveyed the surroundings. Gaeden did not even notice them. He arrogantly strolled towards the entrance and passed the centauri guards swiftly. The darkness did not hinder him; Gaeden was accustomed with the dim light inside Gulanadar. He had lived here many yahrens, only it was long ago.

A Dark Knight finally stopped his progress into the cave, to inquire about his business and intention upon entering the city.

"I am Gaeden Calmcacil. I have returned home from a long journey. Many yahrens ago Gulanadar was my home, and I hope it will be so again. I seek council and guidance within the Temple of Anasati. Let me pass," it was not a question nor a demand, merely a statement. Gaeden was used to obedience and expected nothing less from the Dark Knight.
Rayon Gurlow

Post by Rayon Gurlow »

Rayon Gurlow looked up and frowned. Someone else had come and was stealing his entrance!

"Excuse me." He started politely to the stranger. "I do believe the Knight was talking to me. Await your turn."

Post by Guest »

Gaeden stared down his nose at the halfelf. His wish was only to enter his hometown undisturbed and already had a rude male achadhiel spoken to him. A simple merchant and an achadhiel. Gulanadar was a large metropolis and was dependent on goods coming in by ships, so merchants were a part here. They belonged here too, only be belonged here even more.

"Let's not get hasty. You may continue your conjuring with the petty soldier here, but first I will enter my beloved hometown, achadhiel," the words were in a sense mocking, yet they were not harsh. Gaeden only wanted to enter peacefully and the delay annoyed him. The goddess, Anasati, deserved his attention now, and he had only a final object before his return. A soldier and a merchant.

Gaeden repeated the tedious frase to the soldier.

"I am Gaeden Calmcacil and wish to enter the city. I have come for Anasati. Now let me pass," now he eyed the mute soldier and waited unpatiently for an answer, and acceptance.
Rayon Gurlow

Post by Rayon Gurlow »

Rayon Gurlow laughed out loud. It seemed from the nonresponse of the Dark knight that he was the one laughing last. After all: what sweeter revenge than to see this arrogant man having to wait just as long as he had to?

"We'll see who gets to enter first." He said, still grinning and folding his arms, meanwhile palming a knife hidden in his sleeve. If he was going to be a problem, he'd be the first with a weapon out.

Post by Guest »

IC: A knife. A foolish act by the achadhiel. It was no doubt his cardinal encounter with Gulanadar, or he would not materialize his weapon before a Dark Knight. The Dark Knights were respected and honored in the underground city and deservedly so. They were highly capable of weaponry and diplomacy, and were unfazed by any terror. A truly foolish act.

Gaeden shook his head slightly in frustration. He had not returned to argue with a simple merchant, there was other and more pressing matters to attend to; his due visit to the shrine of Anasati.

"Don't be any more foolish now, merchant. If you gut me with your knife it would only cause you more hindrance than immediate pleasure. You say you want to establish a trading embassy here; how will that be achievable from behind bars or with a rope around your neck? I hear imprisonment in the underground city includes torture and rape and ultimately death. Am I really worth that? Do us both a favor and lose your blade?!" Gaeden barked in elven at the merchant and dismissed him with a simple handgesture.

The adhiel quirked an eyebrow and motioned for the mute Dark Knight to act.

OOC: Hello Brionna. I hope we ain't causing you too much trouble on your first day here?! :wink:
Rayon Gurlow

Post by Rayon Gurlow »

Rayon Gurlow's temper flashed. How dare that man call him foolish? Besides, he would have had no way to see how he had drawn his knife, seeing as how careful he had been.

"Who is the fool? The fool or the one that challenges him?" He demanded to know and started to circle the elf. When Gaeden followed him with his gaze he made a faint to the left, then grinned as his opponent fell for it. "Nah, I wouldn't waste my knife on you." He spat on the floor. "Now, come on, Knight, what will it be? It would be nice to enter TODAY."

ooc
hey, Gaeden, I said I was palming the knife, so you wouldn't see it.
Brionna Galenn

Post by Brionna Galenn »

OOC: Apologies for the delay in getting back to this - I suffer from migraines occasionally and this last one hung around for a week. :cry: This is the first day I've so much as been able to tolerate light, let alone a computer. Anyway, you two seem to have been keeping yourselves entertained, which is good. :) Now, on with the show...

IC:

The Dark Knight had watched the interchange calmly - while the pair were just trading words, he saw no need to intervene. It would possibly even reveal something of the newcomers.

Now, however, he stepped forward so that he stood between the two antagonists. "There is no need for this conflict," he announced sternly. "I will deal with both of you in turn. Now, you..." He turned towards Rayon, his face impassive as a carved stone. "You wish to trade with the merchant houses, in baubles and fabrics... That is not a specialty of any of the houses, but I would recommend visiting either D'Altamooriana or Maerret. You will find the merchants on the middle tier of the city. I wish you luck with your trading." He nodded to the achadhiel, then frowned a little and added, "I do warn you however that being too quick to draw a weapon in Gulanadur is likely to see that your stay here is both very short and, in a sense, very long." With that ominous pronouncement, he turned to the adhiel standing on the other side of him.

Giving the young man a nod of acknowledgement, he said, "Welcome home, Gaeden Calmcacil. I'm sure that you will be able to find the temple. May I enquire where you intend to be staying now that you have returned, however?"

Post by Guest »

Gaeden was glad to see the guard intervene. The harsh words and the achadhiel would soon be forgotten in the large underground city.

"Good day, achadhiel. I hope Gulanadar will bring you much fortune and profit and may our paths never cross again," his eyes calm and placid, the adhiel were a selfcentered race; unwilling to accept humans, dwarves and halflings.

"Stay?" Gaeden ignored the simple merchant and spoke to the guard instead. The adhiel had not considered it yet. The Calmcacil house perhaps? He had not intended to visit it; there were too many unraveled threads and conflicts. If he wanted to become a priest, they surely had shelter for him there.

"I have not considered it. I wish to go to the Temple of Anasati and there I will enquire. Maybe they have a place for me there to sleep and stay. If they do not want me, I will search for a decent tavern. Do you know any such?" Gaeden asked politely. He watched the guard and waited for a reply.
Brionna Galenn

Post by Brionna Galenn »

The Knight frowned thoughtfully for a moment before replying, "Well, if you're just looking for something basic and relatively cheap - and don't mind the long trip to and from the temple - there's a trade inn not far from here. Just head along this tier a piece and you'll find the First Tier Inn." He gestures to indicate the direction. "If you want something a little more comfortable, there's the Spire Bridge Inn. Easy enough to find if you head over to the Spire, and they have better lodgings although the price is appropriately higher. Still not beyond reach though, I'd guess." He gave the adhiel an appraising look and nodded to himself. "Yes," he concluded, "I'd suggest those two might be your best options if you can't find lodgings at the temple."

Post by Guest »

"Thank you for the useful information. I will consider my options carefully, but first I must visit the Temple of Anasati," Gaeden replied politely and bowed his head in reverence of the goddess. The adhiel nodded to the mute merchant and strolled arrogantly towards the underground city. He did not bother to wait for the simple achadhiel's reply or gesture.

I have returned. I am home. I am finally here.

Gaeden blinked a few tears from his eyes and absorbed the cave and the rocks and the inhabitants. It had been yahrens since he had felt complete.

On his way into the the underground city he was captivated by the adhiels and the strange ominous cave. He nodded to a few, but he knew not even a single inhabitant or visitor.
Brionna Galenn

Post by Brionna Galenn »

OOC: Well, you're on your way into the city, and I'll give the coordinator a heads up so that someone can be assigned to your thread if it hasn't been picked up already. :) Welcome to Gulanadur, Gaeden.
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

OOC: This entrance thread will now be run by Marek as part of the Modding seminar. Welcome Marek!
Karasjok Erare Kojsarak

Post by Karasjok Erare Kojsarak »

"I'm a half-giant, I'm a jesting half-giant
I'm a half-giant in Gul'dur
I'm a half-giant in Gul'dur"

"I'm a half-giant, I'm a jesting half-giant
I'm a half-giant in Gul'dur
OOoooohhhhooooooooOOO I'm a half-giant in Gul'dur"

((ooc: sing to the melody of Sting: "Englishman in New York"))

Karasjok's loud-mouthed rants echoed into this odd cave that had appeared out of the middle of nowhere. He had just been looking for some flowers when a dark hole just appeared there. He was a quiet (well, perhaps not too quiet) half-giant having escaped from the Great Desert for the fun of Pan's Isle instead. But now... this!

"Bam-da-bam-da-bam."

The half-giant leaned forward and peeked into the cave, but it was too dark.

"Hello, hello, hello, is there anybody in there?
Just nod if you can hear me
Is there anyone at home?"

((ooc: sing to the melody of Pink Floyd: Comfortably numb.))

Hmm, he pondered- were there anyone in this increasingly odd cave in the middle of an island in the middle of a group of islands in the middle of Tazlure? Harr, harr.

((ooc: Howdy, Marek, if you're my man/woman/... :wink: )
Last edited by Karasjok Erare Kojsarak on Sun Nov 07, 2004 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

OOC: Hola Karasjok! Welcome to Gulanadur. I’ll be your man for the duration of your stay in the entrance thread ; ) Feel free to toss me a PM if you have questions.

IC:

The centaurs scuffled uneasily as Karasjok trudged past. “Did he intend to go there?” One whispered to the other as Karasjok ventured towards the cavern entrance. Baffled looks accompanied the jolly half-giant but neither centaur made a move to stop him.

Karasjok's song was followed by the muffled sound of hooves upon sodden ground. One of the Centaurs had abandoned his post and stood beside Karasjok. He edged a little closer to the half-giant and spoke with reluctance.

“That is the entrance to Gulanadur alright, but they won’t reply to us out here.” The centaur cast an uneasy glance at the cave. “Only when you pass through. Not so sure if you’d want to do that, son. They don't take kindly to strangers.”
Karasjok Erare Kojsarak

"I'm half-giant in Gul'dur..." The words faded as Karasjok heard another voice. A popular little cave indeed! Then he noticed a horse... then a man... and then a rather strange symbiosis between these two. Uh, here goes, thought Karasjok and settled for a song.

"Horseman, good day, good day to you
I just kinda sauntered in here
It's gettin' dark, too dark for me to see
I think I'm knockin' on Gul'dur's door.

Knock, knock, knockin' on Gul'dur's door

Horseman, can I pass this way?
Can I sing-song-sing some more?
That deep black hole looks way, way cool
I think I'm knockin' on Gul'dur's door.

Knock, knock, knockin' on Gul'dur's door"

((ooc: sing to the melody of Bob Dylan: Knockin' on heaven's door))

So this was Gulanadur- sounded like a fun place! As the peculiar horseman was still edging close to him, Karasjok thought it fit with some drama. Especially considering the darkness and all that. Haha, look how much fun there could be in caves like this!

"I'm leaving with spirit,
But still it's farewell
And maybe I'll come back,
To earth, who can tell?
I guess there is no one to blame
We're leaving ground
Will I ever see the sun again?

It's the final climbdown...

I'm heading for Gul'dur, and still I stand tall
Cause maybe they've seen us and welcome us all
With so many light songs to sing and fun to be found
I'm sure that Gul'dur is the place for me!

It's the final climbdown..."

((ooc: sing to the melody of Europe: The final countdown))

And then, barely having left the tone, Karasjok steered on...

"Horseman, there's no need to feel down
I said, horseman, pick yourself off the ground
I said, horseman, 'cause I'm new in this cave
There's no need to be unhappy

Horseman, there's a place you can go
I said, horseman, when you're short on your dough
You can stay there, and I'm sure you will find
Many ways to have a good time.

It's fun to stay in Gul-an-a-dur
It's fun to stay in Gul-an-a-dur.
You can get yourself clean
You can have a good meal
You can do whatever you feel!"

((ooc: sing to the melody of The Village People: YMCA))

And with that, Karasjok jumped atop the horse's back hoping he was not too heavy. Next moment he had brought out his drums and was drumming avidly.

Post by Guest »

There was no warning, only the tensing of muscles on the centaur's back like a bowstring being pulled tight. A flicker later Karasjok was hurled into the air, launched at the cavern entrance with blinding speed. Darkness surrounded him as he was catapulted through until a dim light announced his arrival in Gulanadur. The first thing coming into the half-giant’s view was The Spire, although Karasjok had little time to enjoy the sight. The arc was nearing its natural conclusion and Gulanadur’s earth welcomed the half-giant with a resonating thud.

Into view came a pair of plate mail boots, which – upon closer inspection – belonged to a dark knight who was staring down at the half-giant. His gauntleted hand rested on the hilt of his blade.

“Who are you, and what is your business in Gulanadur?” He asked sternly, having recovered from the initial shock of finding a half-giant launched at his feet.
Karasjok Erare Kojsarak

"I'm a halfling giant in Gul'dur..." Karasjok hummed mildly when his big buttocks felt oddly stretched. Next moment he was flying through the air...

"I believe I can fly
Thank you, horseman, for that little pry
It's odd how I feel airy now
My ears are fairly 'Owww!'
I believe I can fall
I see me falling like a giant*-ball
I believe I can fly
I believe I can fly
I believe I can fly"

((ooc: sing to the melody of R. Kelly: I believe I can fly))

"All in all it's just a hole in the ground!"

((ooc: sing to the melody of Pink Floyd: Another brick in the wall, part III))

And all of a sudden metal, in this case mail, came into view. Karasjok stared dumbfounded. Ah, thought the half-giant, a good time for a trick. Especially upon hearing the harsh voice of this one. A good joke loosens everything.

Next moment he had gathered two strong arms around what appeared to be feet. Karasjok had no idea what robots was, but if he had had, he would surely have called this one Gizmo. Or Robocop. Then he pulled!

And lay face to face with the dark knight. It was time for cheering up.

"Oh, think twice, 'cause it's just another day for you
and me in Gul'n'adur
Oh, think twice, 'cause it's just another day for you,
You and me in Gul'n'adur"

((ooc: sing to the melody of Phil Collins: Another day in paradise))

Deciding this might not be enough, Karasjok might after all have pulled the man to the ground while he was off-guard, the half-giant launches into another song.

"Laugh at me, laugh me on
I'll be here
For a day or two
So needless to say
I'm odds and ends
But that's me stumbling here
Slowly learning that life is FUN
Say after me
It's better to be safe than sun-burnt"

(ooc: sing to the melody of A-ha: Take on me))

Thus, having assured the man he liked it down here in the hole; rather safe than sun-burnt, Karasjok let go of the metal embrace and moved his singing organs away from the knight's ear.

((*note the double meaning!))
Last edited by Karasjok Erare Kojsarak on Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

Spitting dirt and curses, the dark knight scrambled to his feet. “Fun? I will teach you fun, you insolent swine!” His features twisted into a mask of rage, the dark elf reached for his blade. Snarling the man advanced on Karasjok, his weapon at the ready with frightening expertise.

Just when the knight was about to chop the half-giant down to dwarf size, the sound of running footsteps made him check his swing. “What is going on here?!”, an authorative voice bellowed, causing the knight to lower his sword.

The knight shot Karasjok a look that would melt stone. “It's nothing”, he hissed from between clenched teeth. “Just a small lesson in manners.”

The new arrival wore the same insignia on his mail coat as his comrade although this one’s armor was of distinctly better quality. He regarded the half-giant with a cold lack of amusement. “I see. If he becomes a problem, deal with him.” Retreating several steps, he folded his arms over his chest and watched the pair bemusedly.

The first knight slammed his sword back into the scabbard, turning to Karasjok. “Now, let’s try this again. What did you say your name was?”
Last edited by Guest on Sat Nov 13, 2004 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Karasjok Erare Kojsarak

Karasjok watched the going-ons with wide eyes- why were these people so angry? Waving around with a weapon like that, shouting, staring. Luckily, the half-giant knew a good song would do the trick. He settled for morale and raised his voice.

"Ch-ch-ch-ch-Changes
(Turn and face the fun)
Ch-ch-Changes
Do want to be a merrier man
Ch-ch-ch-ch-Changes
(Turn and face the fun)
Ch-ch-Changes
Just gonna have to be a different man
Jokes may change you
And I can tell jokes!"

Then, to underline whom was to change, Karasjok strode up to the man and placed a big finger on the guard's nose. Watching the happy response, he immediately launched for another song.

"There is some fun you are receiving
A distant laugh there on the horizon
smiles are coming through quite soon
Your lips move, I can see the beam coming
When you were a child, you caught a grave mood
Your hands felt just like two balloons
Now you've lost that feeling once for all
You can't explain this is not who you were
Youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu have become merry much fun!"

Return to “Gulanadur Archive”