Balance and Light - Galliban Tyren

Moderator: Mods

Galliban Tyren
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Galliban Tyren »

Galliban listened without interrupting Captain Finn, then nodded when he finished speaking. She considered Finn's comments for a moment, touching a gloved index finger to her chin in the process.

"I see... perhaps it is my lack of experience and my own mindset that hampers my ability to understand energy," she said thoughtfully. "In any case, that disturbance still troubles me. It is almost as if it is a trace of something larger, a shadow of what once was," Galliban continued, clearly thinking aloud as her eyes moved across the site. "You mentioned a great hole, sir. What exactly has happened here?" she asked, her eyes meeting the captain's gaze once again.
"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear."- Mark Twain

Post by Guest »

"A natural cave or tunnel. It is marked on even the earliest maps of the Isle that we can find. Possibly used by some primitive ancestors in rituals involving early worship of the Mother. Not all of Her cults are oriented toward healing and nature or domestic prosperity. Within the past several score yahren, someone or something built up this hill of stones that surrounds and covers the natural structure. Previously, the cave had been a mere curiosity, but whatever built the hill also distorted the energy of the cave into something... different from anything we've known. Neither light nor dark. Not clearly associated with any deity we can identify. But it does seem to holod sway over certain folk who wander too close."

"Certain members of the order are working with ancient scrolls and artifacts to make sense of the phenomenon. In the meantime, we stand guard against anyone enetering or anything leaving the mound."

"Now. To more practical things. Have you experience at standing watch outdoors?"
Galliban Tyren
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Galliban Tyren »

Galliban listened to the captain's reply, trying to make sense of the mass of energy that she had felt.

The energy might not have come from a higher being. Perhaps its source was a sorcerer of some kind.

She finally pulled herself away from her thoughts when she heard Captain Finn ask her a question.

"No, not outdoors." she replied.

OOC: My apologies for the skimpy post.
Last edited by Galliban Tyren on Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear."- Mark Twain

Post by Guest »

"A refresher course then. One of the most important things about standing sentry in any location is not to grow too familiar with the location. What I mean is, no matter how long or how often you are stationed at a spot, do not fall into the trap of seeing only what is supposed to be there. Approach each moment of guard duty with alertness - constantly open to your environment and interpreting it anew..."

Finn went on to elaborate on specific tricks of outdoors awareness. How to imitate animals in order to increase the usefulness of regular human perception. How to use hearing to locate an unseen animal or person. How to use a wide angle or scattered perception in order to increase one's field of view.

“Also, notice the distribution of the sentries. A wide outer perimeter in a regular circle, but an irregularly shaped inner perimeter, to make attempts to pass within harder by making our placement pattern less predictable."

At the end of his lessons, he was relieved of his shift by another Captain.
"I hope I have given you a good start on how to make the most of guard duty. If you have any questions or need clarification on anything, feel free to accompany me back to the Temple grounds. Otherwise, I believe you are free for a mark or two. Explore the isle if you like. Or get some studying done."
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Galliban Tyren
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Galliban Tyren »

Galliban payed full attention to Captain Finn as he spoke. While the many details might have bored another, Galliban was fascinated, her eyes remaining fixed on the captain as he went on. She was, afterall, eventually going to have to stand guard herself, so she did not wish to miss anything. It was only when he finished that she spoke up.

"I thank you for the time you have taken to speak with me. You have been most informative, and so I am grateful. Good day, sir." Galliban said in the common tongue, giving him a respectful nod before he went on his way. It did not take long for her to decide what to do with her free time. She would indeed do some studying, first and foremost about Leyle. She had become increasingly curious about the woman who had wielded her armor and swords before her. The lady half-elf guessed that such information could be found in the Library of the Temple. Galliban made haste back to the Temple complex, proceeding straight to the Library.

OOC: By the way, I'm just waiting for you to post in the other thread, just in case you were waiting for me.

Post by Guest »

The Library was easy to find: after all it was one of the most prominent features of the Temple complex. Near the entrance a rather young-looking adhiel was seated at a desk. He was making notation in a large wax tablet, but looked up cheerfully when Galliban entered.

"Good tide, Paladin. May I be of assistance?"
Galliban Tyren
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Galliban Tyren »

"Good tide to you as well," Galliban replied, further acknowledging the young adhiel with a nod. "I seek information on a paladin who went by the name of Leyle Barwith. Perhaps you have heard of her?" she continued.

OOC: Glad to have you back.

Post by Guest »

"Paladins... biographical information... right.."
The librarian frowned and shook her head.
"I can lead you to the proper section, but there has been some sort of magical interference at work recently. The books are all out of order and we haven't been able to sort through that section yet."

He led Galliban into a back hallway past an armed guard. The shelves lining the walls were roughly twice as tall as the paladin and four times her height from one end to the other.
"Here you go. Wish there was more help I could give you, but I'm just not that familiar with these texts. Feel free to look around. Like I said, they're all out of order. Anything you do find will have to stay in this room - for security reasons. Apparently some highly classified texts are still missing."
Galliban Tyren
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Galliban Tyren »

"Very well," Galliban said in reference to the librarian comment about the books having to stay inside the room. "Thank you for your help." she finished.

Without further comment, Galliban turned her attention to one of the book shelves. She hoped that the information would be found quickly, but this seemed unlikely because of the disorder of the books. The young paladin quickly set to work, examining the books in view in her attempt to find the one containing the information on Leyle.

Post by Guest »

The books Galliban encountered on the shelf she picked did not seem to belong in the same section of the library let alone the same shelf: volumes on Kislovan cooking, a treatise on mysterious monuments on Dort, a chronicle of the Sea Voyages of Milborn Graves, a hsitory of different coins used on the various isles of the Empire, various journals and diaries of followers of Illuminatus (but nothing mentioning Leyle in the title) and a small volume on dice games. The search was time consuming - almost a mark had passed and the novice paladin had barely made a dent in the one section of shelving with which she had started the search.
Galliban Tyren
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Galliban Tyren »

Leyle, where are you?

Galliban was starting to get a little exasperated in her search. Still, she put the frustration aside and continued her search. Her outstretched hand hovered a few inches away from the books, almost as if she were trying to feel the book. She began to pick up the pace, her eyes scanning the books as fast as they could without risking missing something.

Post by Guest »

More unrelated books followed: a book of Taquar Faerie Tales, something written in a script that looked like a bunch of chicken scratches, recipes for candle-making, the diary of a monk at The Abbey, a treatise on stonemasonry...

Finally, Galliban's search was interrupted by the librarian.
"Miss? I'm sorry to disturb you, but I thought you might want to know it's almost time for evening meal."
Galliban Tyren
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Galliban Tyren »

"Hmm? Has that much time passed already?" Galliban replied, turning her head to the librarian. "Thank you for notifying me. I wonder if I might ask you a favor," she continued, turning the rest of her body toward the young adhiel. "If you happen to come across information on Leyle Barwith, I would appreciate it if you would let me know. My name is Galliban Tyren." she said.

OOC: I take it that we will be ending this thread soon?

Post by Guest »

The clerk wrote down the information and took Galliban's name as well.
"If I come across any references I'll be happy to contact you."

The librarian then returned to writing notes into the ledger at the desk.

OOC: Yes, but not immediately. Please see my PM.
Galliban Tyren
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Galliban Tyren »

"Thank you." Galliban replied with a nod, then made her way out of the Library. She returned to her quarters to change her clothes then proceeded on to her evening meal.

Galliban ate quietly and never failed to display the proper etiquette, despite her hunger. After she finished, she went on back to the Library for her class with Brother Felton.

Post by Guest »

Thread closed and Skilled 12/11/04

Single Combat Vs. Multiple Opponents - New
Two weapon fighting - New
Swords, Short +*
Armor +*
Pray +*
Manipulation of Energy +*

Return to “Oracle's Isle archives (old)”