Winds of Change: Dorian Drake Samheen 18

Moderator: Mods

Post by Guest »

Dorian inhaled deeply, gathering his wits about him. Climbing, on land, was something he was very careful about. He focused his mental energies and faced the darkness.

It was time to find and channel the energies, as the old Elf had taught him. He searched for them, and steadied his arm. It would be a long throw, if he had to throw the gaff like a harpoon, but if that was what he had to try, he'd do it, with all the help he could give himself from the energy in the surroundings.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Once he found his focus, the energies moved much like the dark cloud his Selkie senses had allowed him to see before, only this time rather than a black cloud, it was a mass of rolling threads of color; lots of green and blues with the occasional strand of red or yellow mixed with inky black pouring in through the center of the rift.

Active as they were, they did respond to the fisherman, though slowly at first. Around him, people came and went seemingly oblivious to the man standing in the middle of the street looking up. The noise of battle that had echoed around the church now died down. A small child wandered past hugging the wall of the church, crying softly. The display of energy took no note of any of those things.

Against his skin, the amulet grew very warm causing Dorian's skin to tingle under it and his awareness of the compacted energies resident inside the rune.
Last edited by Shaeliana on Wed May 11, 2005 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
[color=hotpink][i]The secret of success is sincerity. Once you can fake that you've got it made.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

The man had to be stopped, that was certain enough. Dorian concentrated carefully, with the patience of a fisherman, steady of thought and stalwart of purpose. He couldn't be distracted from his task, and indeed he was concentrating so hard that would be difficult. He had to use his new skill to shape and shift this energy - to bind its tentacles, like a squid, and disrupt its centre, dispersing it like a school of fish.

He would have liked to harpoon the man the darkness was controlling, but there was only so much room in his mind for thinking, and this was taking everything he had.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

As the fisherman concentrated, the rend began to shrink, almost imperceptibly at first. A thin stream of pure white crackled like tiny shots of lightening, around the edges of the tear between the two realms and where the light was most active, the darkness retreated more quickly. The man connected to the darkness took no notice of Dorian until the gap was nearly three-quarters of the way closed. From the fisherman's left, the man of darkness erupted into a shrill shriek.

"Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!" he screamed as he raced towards Dorian, the hole in the aether closing more quickly now leaving an opening only just big enough for a human child to walk through. The demon controlled man launched himself at Dorian, flying through the air in an effort to tackle the fisherman. For young Drake, it was as if time or perhaps motion had slowed down as he watched the man almost float through the air, his face an ugly scowl of hate and anger.
[color=hotpink][i]The secret of success is sincerity. Once you can fake that you've got it made.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Dorian saw the man heading his way and automatically brought up the gaff, as if he was warding off a hunting shark. He'd have to fight, and since there was nothing to be done while this man was attacking, his whole attention fixed on this now. He braced himself, the gaff raised to smack at the oncoming man. Being as it was Dorian, he wouldn't try to kill him, just knock him down.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

As his focus shifted from the rip and his task to the attacker, the steams of energy disappeared and the boiling darkness once again began to work on the gateway between the two realms, seeking to slowly widen it further. Meanwhile, the man threw himself at the young fisherman, his eyes filled with such hate the hair on Dorian's head stood up on end sending prickles down his spine.

With unnatural strength, the dark man pushed the gaffhook aside and grabbed the fisherman by the throat. Suddenly the air around Dorian was full of light and energy. His assailant jerked back as if burned, eyes wide with surprise. With another scream, the wild man plunged back at Dorian, screaming with pain and backing off as he touched the young man. From somewhere, the sound of the elf's voice drifted on wind.

"Speed Dorian! Time is short!" came the urgent message.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Dorian obeyed the command, and refocused all his concern to the darkness, and shaping the power around it as he had been taught. He promptly forgot about the dark man, for there was only so much room in his mind for such things. It was an effort to contain and shift and guide the energy, but Dorian was never one to quit anything worth doing. The darkness must be pushed back and the gateway shut, and he was working hard on it.

He had reason to work so hard; his Maranda wanted to come back to this city, and it was his home too, of sorts. Old Drake would never have wanted Dorian to pack it in and let this one slide by, not with the most excellent fishing waters around, besides. He concentrated to his utmost, sliding the energy around in the air, moving it like waves to push back the darkness.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Now the dark man turned his attentions to the rift itself, exerting his efforts to open what Dorian was valiantly trying to close. The resistance made channeling the energy that much harder and more draining, but the fisherman's love for his wife and this place he called home fueled his efforts and soon the rip between realms was no larger than a man's hand. His opponent erupted in a bone chilling scream as the dark thread connecting him to the rend snapped and jerked back up into the sky to disappear just as the hole closed with an audible pop much like a sharp clap of thunder.

As soon as the rift closed, the fisherman's rune went dead as all resistence ceased. With the energy of the talisman gone, Dorian was left with only his own small reserve of energy. Around him, life continued on as if they were oblivious to him, to the closing of the rift, to the now missing darkness. It was as if only Dorian could see the dark shadow that had lifted and was now no where to be found over King's Court.

Off in the distance, the air ships ceased their firing and in the square of the basilica on the other side of the temple, the fighting came to an abrupt end and Demetrion and the priestess of the mother began to discuss an agreement as the Emerald Guard was directed to begin to pull out of the city and head home.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Dorian, more tired than if he had fought a storm all the way across the lake, sagged to his knees, and slumped down, breathing hard, so weary he couldn't see straight. He'd gotten rid of the darkness; that was good enough. Life could become normal again, he could retrieve his wife and his boat, fix the shack, and then go fishing once again. First, he rested.

When he felt able, he got to his feet and stumbled off to the shack, leaning on the gaff, to see what could be seen about it, if he could just tack up some shingles to the roof or if there were more serious work to be done. He asked for no thanks and wanted no recognition, so there was nothing to be said; he just went on his way to see what could be done for his home.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

While the walls of the dwelling had withstood the peltings of shrapnel, a large rock had crashed through the roof, leaving full half of the shack's interior open to the sky. Inside, there was a layer of dirt covering everything left behind. However, there had been no rain and so while the interior was dirty, nothing was ruined beyond repair.

The beach around the site was pocked with holes from the battering the city had taken, many of the trees had taken fiery missles and burned and the small dock Dorian had worked from most of his life, was gone except for the two end posts still standing up out of the water. The city walls had taken much damage, down in many places and severely weakened in others.

Meanwhile, off a short way in the woods, the white horse awaited the fisherman's return.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Dorian glowered for a moment, then, because nothing could be done by an evil look, he gave it up and shrugged. So, the place needed a cleaning, and a new roof; he'd have to go fishing, buy nails, barter for wood, and find a good-shaped rock to use as a hammer. This too, would pass, and with hard work, all would be made right again. He could return to his quiet life, and he could spend his nights in Maranda's arms. That was certainly a fine life, he reflected, and he was more than able to do the work. It was time to go on again, and return to her.

He ambled in his slow, awkward way back towards the horse, hoping he'd be allowed a ride back to fetch the wife.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Et'lag stood pawing the ground, head prancing up and down impatiently but settled and lowered to his knees to allow the fisherman to mount. The trip back to the mage and Maranda was much like the first trip, swift and exhilierating as the large wings beat gracefully to move them through the air.

Back at the mage's home, Maranda was sitting on the porch waiting, watching. As the flying steed came over the trees, a joyous smile spread across her face as she leapt to her feet and ran out to meet her husband.

"Ya did it!" she giggled while waiting for Dorian to dismount so she could hug him. On the porch, the old elf stood smiling, looking somehow younger or perhaps less stressed than he had when they first arrived.

"Well done, Dorian," the mage offered, his tone echoing pride in the young man's success. "You've done much to help turn the tide of darkness today."
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Dorian had Maranda in his arms, and little else mattered. He was tired, as tired as if he'd been fighting storm winds and waves all day. "I just did what I had to do." he said to them, in as matter-of-fact a manner as a Drake ever spoke. He gratefully sank down to sit on the porch, and the eyes slammed shut with weariness. "The shack's in bad shape," he added, and then remembered nothing more.

There was nothing to worry about, he had reckoned, in the last few seconds of consciousness; his wife was safe, he was with her, and all would be well. What had threatened His City, that place where he sold fish and had begun to build his family, was now dispelled. Whatever else was wrong could be fixed with time and hard labour, so everything was all right with his world.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Exhausting work it had been and the fisherman slept the rest of the day and through the night. The next morning dawned cool, a light fog steaming up from the still warm earth. The first birds of morning had begun to sing as the eastern sky began to show the first tinges of light.

Inside, the dwelling was silent. Dorian had been moved to a feather bed in a small room. Nestle next to the fisherman, Maranda slept soundly, one hand lightly resting on his chest, her warm breath gentle against his shoulder.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

A feather bed was far too soft for one accustomed to sleeping on wet, knotted nets as a bed, or the thin mattress that Maranda had gotten. Dorian awoke stiff and aching, confused as to where he was, and wondering why he did not hear the water. He hadn't missed it so much before, but now he did. It was life, to him. He was far away from water and that was unsettling.

He lay there for a while, trying to sort out the events, and finally pushed them into the corner of his mind for 'try to sort this out, when you're out on the boat and the nets are down and you have hours to sit quietly', for he wasn't the best thinker in the world and usually needed a good run-up to get the job done.

It was well that Maranda was here, wherever here might be. He thought he might be in that house, the one with the aged Elf; yes, that must be it. He'd gone to the city and done what he'd been taught, and it was all right to go back. That was well enough for him, so he settled back as best he could and shut his eyes again, listening to Maranda breathe.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

The soft sounds of someone busying themselves in the kitchen joined the songbirds, still chirping in the bright morning sunshine. Scents of something cooking, an aromatic odor, began to fill the house. Next to him, Maranda stirred, yawned and snuggled closer to the fishermans's warmth, pulling the blanket over an explosed shoulder. It was several burns later, when she jerked slightly and lifted her head, only just coming fully awake.

"Dorian," she whispered, peering into his face, half afraid to find him no longer there since he slept so soundly, for such a long time and was so unlike him to be sleeping with the sun so far in the sky.

"Dorian?" she whispered again as she leaned over him and kissed his cheek, the warmth of his skin reassurring her that he'd not gone to his grave as yet.

In the other end of the house, the old elf was humming softly, an exotic sounding tune, almost a melancholy sound as he puttered around what passed for a kitchen.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

The dark lashes lifted away from the sea-blue eyes. "Maranda," he replied, voice a rough, sleepy rasp, and gently laid his hand along the curve of her cheek, with a smile. She was beautiful. If there was ever a reason to go to the city and beat down the shadows, this was it.

He was still worn out, having never done anything like expend mana in the course of a battle in his life, and the experience had thumped him hard. So he was content to let her look at him, and lay there, until ordered to get up. He briefly wanted to lay in the sun, on a comfortable, wave-smoothed rock, but that would mean getting up, and that was something he wasn't rushing to do.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

The look of slight worry burst into a bright smile as her husband breathed her name.

"Ye are alive," she beamed happily as she hugged Dorian tightly. "Ye'd slept s'long I wasn't sure." Snuggled back up against the fisherman, cheek laid softly against his chest, her voice softened.

"T'was horrible dark here, Dorian. I thought it was goin' ta be the end of the world. But then, I thought about you, and the lessons ye'd learned and how well Master elf said ye'd done and I just knew that it'd all be okay. Must 'a been terrible hard. I've seen ya do some very heavy things and not be so worn to a frazzle," she hugged him again.

"Ye've not eaten anythin' for two days now. Are ya not hungry, love?" she asked, fingers moving lightly as they traces the hard contours of his muscles.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

"I think I got it done all right," was about all he could think of to say.

At the mention of food, he realised that yes, indeed, he wanted to eat. "Mmmm...breakfast would be good." Better if it was fresh fish, but right now, he'd gnaw on wood if it was all that was on offer. He let Maranda help him up, the stiffness evident in his frame, and went forth with her. After he remembered, or was reminded, to put on clothes. The big, webbed-toed feet padded along after his wife, in slow steps.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

While elvish culture had no taboos against nudity and therefore felt no shame either in the being or the seeing, Maranda didn't feel that comfortable with the old elf and had slept in her chimise. Pulling on the rest of her clothes, she made her way past the thick curtain that separated the two areas and smiled at the old man, who was busy cooking some mixture of what looked like vegetables over a soft blue ball of flame that sat in the fireplace.

"Morning," he nodded, smiling broadly. "I trust you rested well, Dorian. Chew on this," he instructed as he handed the young man what appeared to be a thick stem that had been broken. A hard outter shell protected the soft slightly sweet center.

"It will help restore that which was used up by the handling of the rune and closing the rift," he explained before popping a small something in his mouth out of the sizzling skillet. Quick hands moved to bottles of various herbs, deftly sprinkling this one and that one. Before long, he repeated the taste test, nodded his approval and took the skillet from the strange blue fire. Mumbling something softly, the blue fire winked out, though whether it was a result of his mumbling or something else entirely, it would be impossible to know without asking the old man.

Three plates were heaped with an assortment of bite sized chunks of various colors, presumably vegetables of some sort. Setting these on the table, he added a large steaming pot of tea, a loaf of dark bread, a bowl of butter and an assortment of fruit preserves, not as sweet as Maranda was used to eating which tasted more of fresh fruit to the girl, but good none the less.

"I expect you'll want to be going home soon?" the mage elf inquired casually as he poured cups of tea and sat down. "From what I can tell, once the rift closed, all warring in and around the city ceased. Now, that doesn't mean there isn't some bickering, but the actual threat of war seems to have passed." He looked at Dorian, studying his face for a moment.

"For now." he added soflty before looking down to dig into his breakfast.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Dorian obediently chewed the root, which tasted like mint to him. He was still groggy from a whole lot of sleep, and he wasn't a grand thinker to start with, but he nodded amiably about the matter of the rift.

The food was a welcome sight indeed, even if it had strange looking things on it, vegetables he didn't recognise. It was food, and that was what mattered right now, food and something to drink. He didn't dwell on the blue fire, but figured it was magic, and that was normal enough, wasn't it ?

At the comment, and the gaze upon him as he was in fact stuffing his face, caught him a little out. He chewed and swallowed, then thought on the matter. "Reckon so," he said in his usual steady, reticent Drakish way, which seemed to cover everything. They could go home, and rebuilt, and he could fish. Winter was coming, and who knew if the smoked leviathan was well-preserved, what with no one to tend to the smokehouse all these days ? It was a terrible thing to waste, and that minded Dorian about the traps he had put on the roof to work on...they had to be smashed, too. A powerful lot of work...but best to be starting on it then. Wars, those were things for Kings to worry about; he had enough to do.

He then looked over at Maranda, to see if she thought the same, or wanted to say something; she was after all much more clever than he was, and he had a healthy respect for that.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Looking back at her husband, the blonde's face lit up in a smile, her eyes shining with pride for her fisherman. There was a city to return to because of her husband, his strength and bravery. It was the same force of character that had driven him to gather men to go after the giant fish despite the danger involved, so that the people would have food to eat and oil for their lamps. The fact that her husband didn't put that much stock in his heroics only made him that much more of a hero to Maranda.

"Much is owed you Dorian, son of Drake," the old elf said quietly, shaking his head slowly. "Sad it is that there is no one to pay the debt of gratitude given the times we live in." He looked up at the young man and smiled.

"I know that you expect nothing other than the peace of a life free from darkness and I would that I could give you that. The rift you closed is one of many across the world of Tazlure and while it helps and will allow healing to come to this part of the world, I fear other rips are growing. Those are not yours to be concerned about, but they will stop you from dwelling in absolute peace. Still...." the old elf dropped his voice to just above a whisper.

"One thing I can give you, Dorian, son of Kennard before you were son of Drake. For what reason, I cannot know, but I have seen a vision. Lithe and well formed, dark hair streaming over her shoulders like water over a falls as it blew gently with the wind from the seas, she stood on a rock watching out over the waters of the Mer. Tears shimmered in her eyes as her lips formed a word. Erdie. Barely a whisper off her lips, carried across the waters on the winds. Erdie," the old elf looked up at Dorian and his wife.

"Tis you she calls," he said, eyes glistening with excitement. Maranda gasped and reached for her husband's hand.

"From the rocks near their home," the old mage continued. "Near the bottom of the lake, where it begins to empty into the outside seas, where the shores are rocks and not sand, there she stands, on the gray rock among the black." With a sigh, the old man sat back and sipped at his tea.

"Alas, I could not see or discover more, but whoever she might be, she searches for you Dorian son of Kennard, son of Drake. Of that I am certain," he added with finality.

"Now, tell me, what can I do to aid you in your journey home? In the rebuilding of your life?"
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Dorian raised a pair of puzzled brows. He'd done it because it was right to do, and that was everything, wasn't it ? Accolades were far from his mind. But he accepted this too, and the information that there was more trouble ahead.

He did listen, all attention, to the old elf's next words. The Selkie on the rocks could be his sister, or his mother, but for some reason he thought it was his sister. It must be that he had been so long away from his skin that her tears could not call him, or perhaps it was that Maranda was his love, and she alone held the power to summon him with tears. He clasped his wife's hands, alert that this was the lead he had been seeking, the information that was only jagged memories to him, the fractured memories of a boy so injured, so young that it made no sense before.

"I will find her," he said, slowly, "My kin has been long lost to me, and I cannot deny what I am. They should also know that I have taken a fine lady as a wife."
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Smiling the old man sat back and nodded, content that he had brought what appeared to be good news to the young fisherman and his wife. Maranda squeezed her huband's hand gently, smiling happily.

"I am certain you will find her," the adheil mused as he watched the two. "Now, I insist you tell me what else can I do to help you?"
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Dorian frowned thoughtfully, taking his time to think. He didn't suppose that the Elf had any nails around, nor a proper hammer, nor shingles and wood slats to form a roof. Those were the needs that Dorian Drake felt were immediate, because that was just how he thought.

"I don't know," he said, at long last. "I reckoned we'd just walk through the trees back to the boat, and row home, and shelter on the beach for a few days til I've got the shack fixed. I can probably trade fish for supplies to do that." They also had the coins that Dorian had hoarded so carefully, in the bucket, and that ring they could sell, the one he got off the dead nobleman. It was gold, had to be worth something.

He looked searchingly at Maranda, for she was the clever one.

Return to “On the Water Archive”